Video: Liz Cheney announces that she’s primarying Mike Enzi in Wyoming

posted at 7:21 pm on July 16, 2013 by Allahpundit

The NYT told us last week that this was coming and now here it is. Guy Benson wrote about it at the time in the Greenroom; I wrote my own post about the prospects of an Enzi/Cheney race back in April.

The vibe I’ve gotten from the comments and from other righty blogs over the last 10 days is that people are gung ho for her to take Enzi on. Candidly, I don’t understand why. Nothing against her; she’s obviously sharp and has lots of Beltway experience from advising her father over the years. I’m just not clear on why she’d necessarily be a significant upgrade over him. She’s known mainly for being a super-hawk in the mold of her dad, but super-hawkishness (as distinct from hawkishness) was, I thought, momentarily out of fashion among grassroots conservatives. McCain and Graham are the two Republicans in Congress most loathed by the base, in part because of their penchant for interventionism, but Cheney presumably will be right there with them on foreign policy in the Senate. Some people seem to want Enzi out because he’s a multi-term incumbent and the Senate needs “new blood,” but how new is the blood when the “insurgent” is the daughter of the last Republican VP? Someone joked on Twitter this afternoon after the news of her candidacy broke that we’re now in line for a new Bush/Cheney ticket in 2016 or 2020. Probably not, but we might be in line for a Bush/Clinton battle in 2016 with a Cheney in Congress stumping for the GOP side. If you’re okay with that, then okay. But that’s an odd definition of “new blood.”

The grassroots support for her is interesting to me, though, insofar as it suggests a broad Cheney exception to the general tea-party anti-establishment rule. There remains a reservoir of goodwill for Bush among the righty base partly because he’s personally gracious and partly because people on our side are naturally defensive about someone whom the left loathes to such an insane degree. The goodwill for Dick Cheney comes, in a way, from the opposite impulse — he knows the left hates him, doesn’t care even a tiny bit, and will stand firm on foreign policy even if the entire world’s against him. He’s a giant middle finger to the left, so he — and presumably Liz — get a pass on being Beltway mainstays. That’s how she can kinda sorta position herself as the grassroots upstart against the, ahem, Mike Enzi machine in Wyoming. (Minor footnote to that: Thanks to her connections, she’ll almost certainly raise much more money for this race than he will.) And the more other GOP establishment types side with Enzi against her in the name of protecting incumbency, which is already happening even among Bush administration figures, the more grassroots cred she’ll have.

Having said all that, the race will be loads of fun. And whether you like or dislike Cheney, there’s no way her floor debates with Rand Paul on foreign policy won’t be enjoyable if she wins. Paul, in fact, has already quasi-endorsed Enzi, so the “tea-party vote” will be complicated in Wyoming. Is the older, Paul-backed incumbent the tea-party choice? Or is the scion of a consummate GOP establishment figure the tea-party choice? Hmmmm.

Exit quotation:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I double dog dare her to take her husband’s name and run under that.

Maybe Bush/Cheney would never happen in 2016, but it could be Perry/Perry…

Gingotts on July 16, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Excellent,….
…………….Go DarthLizCheney!!!

canopfor on July 16, 2013 at 7:26 PM

NO NO NO

PappyD61 on July 16, 2013 at 7:26 PM

==========================================

Me thinks,she will carry herself,like her Dad!!

It would be priceless,to have Liz,like her Dad,tell
Reid
to go BOINK himself!!

Okay,I kid about the Go Boinking part!!

canopfor on July 16, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Be careful what you wish for.

Ayotte – Lamontagne

lowandslow on July 16, 2013 at 7:30 PM

This is good news for Lindsey Graham. Cheney will suck $ and oxygen away from whoever is challenging him.

Jon0815 on July 16, 2013 at 7:31 PM

If we lose nothing, why do it? Why not? A disconnect of pols from D.C. sounds like a gain to me right about now. Too bad folks we all like and support aren’t spread out over some of the more lacking States. It is what it is. I’m quickly becoming convinced a primary of a sitting rep is good when done often.

Bmore on July 16, 2013 at 7:31 PM

No. They aren’t loathed for their interventionism. They are loathed for their Leftist and thoroughly anti-American positions. Unless by “interventionism” you mean using the U.S. military as a global humanitarian organization that tends to side with the bad guys (e.g., Kosovo).

TXJenny on July 16, 2013 at 7:31 PM

She may not be as stupid as Meghan McCain, but her sense of entitlement based on her family name is every bit as pronounced as MeggyMac. With no prior electoral experience she thinks she can just waltz in and become a Senator in one of the most Republican states in the country? No thanks.

HTL on July 16, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Wouldn’t surprise me if she is pro-amnesty.

Jon0815 on July 16, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Yes. A very smart woman w/ great experience.

LASue on July 16, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Bmore on July 16, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Can’t disagree with you there.

KCB on July 16, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Question – Why is she better than Enzi?

Answer – she has a vagina.

GOP = old, white, rich and MALE

powerpickle on July 16, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Why such a gloomy photo? She looks like somebody just told her her cat fell off the roof.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 16, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I really like Liz!!

Enzi isn’t entitled to anything. What’s this, “I thought we were friends?” boo hoo nonsense. Quit making it personal. Let the people decide!

bluegill on July 16, 2013 at 7:36 PM

A Strong Voice for Wyoming

Pffft

She moved there yesterday and she’s a strong voice for Wyoming. Right.

Pathetic

Dack Thrombosis on July 16, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Wouldn’t surprise me if she is pro-amnesty.

Jon0815 on July 16, 2013 at 7:32 PM

I agree. Most neocons are social liberals who like seeing other people’s kids getting killed to support their nation-building goals.

bw222 on July 16, 2013 at 7:36 PM

You know winning the nomination isn’t the only reason why you run primary campaigns. She’s establishing her street cred in Wyoming even though she’s more Virginian than anything else.

I give her credit that she doesn’t insult voters of fly-over country by sticking to the domestic issues that would resonate more (like energy production).

She condemns the Obama administration without ever mentioning Enzi, which is probably the deepest cut of all. She’s the new generation of leaders while inferring that Enzi is of Washington DC who hasn’t done right by the folks back home.

Happy Nomad on July 16, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Good question from Byron York:

How would she have voted on the gang of 8 immigration bill? Enzi voted no….

Nessuno on July 16, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Be careful what you wish for.
Ayotte – Lamontagne
lowandslow on July 16, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Don’t see the parallel. Ayotte won a Senate seat, and aside from the Gang of 8 travesty, she’s been a conservative stalwart. Lamontagne, who waited his turn and ran for governor with her endorsement, ran too hard to the right in a Democratic year in New England.

Are you suggesting it’s a mistake if Cheney wins the primary, or that she’s running at all? Enzi is a solid conservative, aside from the execrable Internet tax. And no matter who gets nominated, that seat is staying red.

KingGold on July 16, 2013 at 7:37 PM

But it is a nice optic that the Royal family of the gop (the Bushes) don’t like her apparently.

At this point……does it make a difference?

PappyD61 on July 16, 2013 at 7:38 PM

She’s known mainly for being a super-hawk in the mold of her dad

Some hawk her dad was. He was never a hawk when it meant putting his own ass there. In fact when the deferment (more like exception) for married men ended but remained for fathers (based on Liz Cheney’s birth date) he decided to hurry up and be a father 2 days later. If that change had not been made until a few days later, Liz Cheney would never even have been born.

VorDaj on July 16, 2013 at 7:38 PM

I’m a fan of the Cheney family-and Liz has impressed me so far. I don’t know much about Enzi though. He may be a terrific conservative-and since I live in Texas…it’s not my call anyway.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 16, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Liz is still HOT.

(Yawn)

KirknBurker on July 16, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 16, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I thought the same thing, only maybe that somebody just told her that her dog was eaten by Obama …

ShainS on July 16, 2013 at 7:40 PM

She should’ve run in VA against Kaine, instead of that awful retread Allen.

IR-MN on July 16, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 16, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha:Lol,I’m not going to mention beavers,period
tonight,no way!:)

canopfor on July 16, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I Posted This In The Headlines Section.
I Think Enzi Is A Low Key Rino. I Have Concerns Liz Is A Bit Of A Rino Also. Wyoming Can Do Better.

Heritage
Enzi, current 67% from Heritage, and a 77% for the 112th congress. For reference, John McCain currently has a 48% from Heritage, andCurrent had a 75% for the 112th congress. DeMint had a score of 99 at the end of the end of the 112th session and Cruz currently has a score of 100%.

Club For Growth
At the end of the 112th congress Enzi had a 71% from the Club for Growth, and a lifetime rating of 86%. John McCain had a 91% at the end of the same session, and a lifetime of 85%. DeMint had a 100% at the end of the session and had a lifetime of 100%.

Freedomworks
Freedomworks has Enzi sitting at 75% now, and a lifetime of 82%. McCain has a score of 58% now, and a lifetime of 82%. DeMint ended the session with a score of 100% and a lifetime of 98%. Cruz is currently sitting at 100%.

ACU
At the end of 2012 Enzi had a 92 from the ACUAmerican Conservative Union, and a lifetime of 92.73. McCain ended 2012 with a 92, and a lifetime of 82.84 DeMint ended 2012 with a 100 and a lifetime of 98.86.

ritewhit on July 16, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Hardly an apt comparison. Cheney is a Chicago Law School grad. She may not be an actual genius, but she’s probably pretty close to it. She also has tons of experience in the State Department, where she worked for years after a successful legal career at White & Case. And she has 5 kids.

LASue on July 16, 2013 at 7:42 PM

I wish Liz Cheney had stayed in Virginia and run for one of the House seats there (there are 3 Democratic representatives in VA, two of whom are in the DC suburbs near where she lived), or for the U.S. Senate (both the VA senators are Democrats).

J.S.K. on July 16, 2013 at 7:43 PM

“Ayotte won a Senate seat, and aside from the Gang of 8 travesty, she’s been a conservative stalwart.”

You’re right, toeing the party line on a bunch of inconsequential votes is far more important then her amnesty betrayal.

lowandslow on July 16, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 16, 2013 at 7:35 PM

What photo? Haven’t you learned by now that Allahpundit’s MO is to screen capture the worst or most unflattering shot of his subjects from available video?

bluegill on July 16, 2013 at 7:45 PM

So, she’s moving to Jackson to be the “voice of Wyoming”?

My a**.

Jackson is to Wyoming what the p**** asking for a white wine spritzer is to a Budweiser kind of party.

I’ll be donating to Enzi.

M240H on July 16, 2013 at 7:45 PM

LASue on July 16, 2013 at 7:42 PM

How many is she sending to Syria?

VorDaj on July 16, 2013 at 7:45 PM

I don’t trust her, especially on social issues.

Rose on July 16, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 16, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha:Lol,I’m not going to mention beavers,period
tonight,no way!:)

canopfor on July 16, 2013 at 7:41 PM

What?!? You mean something happened, like a “dead beaver bounce”? Mercy!

Yoop on July 16, 2013 at 7:48 PM

HTL on July 16, 2013 at 7:31 PM

May not be as stupid? There is a question in your mind about that?

And I see nothing of an entitlement mentality in her announcement. I think too often GOP incumbents get offended when challenged. The Ford people hated Reagan for primarying him in 1976. How dare some actor challenge a sitting (but unelected) President?

I also think it might be as much a launch into Wyoming politics than a real challenge. She’s got Wyoming roots but is not really from Wyoming. This puts her on the political map. What will be interesting is how she differentiates her positions from that of Enzi (who I really don’t quite see why conservative voters would abandon). Nevertheless, I don’t see why a bit of competition in the primaries should be viewed as a negative thing.

Happy Nomad on July 16, 2013 at 7:48 PM

So cynical. She’s not FROM Wyoming. Home in Wyoming, run for office in Wyoming. Home in Virginia, run for office in Virginia. She bought a home in Wyoming about a year ago, but I don’t think her family actually lives there year round. Once she uses Daddy’s cache to establish a political path, she’ll go back and live in her real home in the DC area again indefinitely. This is the DC political class going where they need to go to get elected so they can go back where they really want to be. Can’t believe Dick Cheney would sanction such bushwah. Enzi’s FROM Wyoming. Liz’s not. I hope she loses and that tanks any career she might have had.

limmo on July 16, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Had she challenged Susan Collins, I’d be more up for it. But Enzi? Nah.

Stoic Patriot on July 16, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Palin and Cheney are going to create a new mold for conservative women. They will create a nice optical contrast with Snowe and Collins, and can pull Ayotte to their side. Don’t underestimate the need for the GOP to have strong women in high-profile positions to shout down Hillary Clinton. If the boys do it, they’ll cry sexism. The women will be essential surrogates.

alwaysfiredup on July 16, 2013 at 7:52 PM

J.S.K. on July 16, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Moran and Connelly are too entrenched with liberal Northern Virginia districts to be knocked off by a real conservative. The third is in a gerrymandered black district in the Norfolk/Hampton Roads area.

Happy Nomad on July 16, 2013 at 7:52 PM

LASue on July 16, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Be still my beating heart…another lawyer. Who then got a job at the State Department based on her daddy’s influence, and who has been hired by a couple of political campaigns for the same reason. As I said, not as stupid as Meghan McCain but then again MeggyMac isn’t delusional enough to think she’s entitled to jump straight to a Senate seat. Color me unimpressed at this arrogant child of the permanent political class.

HTL on July 16, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Cheney is too red meat for purple Virginia.

alwaysfiredup on July 16, 2013 at 7:53 PM

May not be as stupid? There is a question in your mind about that?

Happy Nomad on July 16, 2013 at 7:48 PM

It’s called d@mning with faint praise.

HTL on July 16, 2013 at 7:55 PM

I don’t trust her, especially on social issues.

Rose on July 16, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Amen. We know she is pro-gay marriage. My guess is that she if pro-amnesty. Most neocons are: McCain, Graham, Rubio.

bw222 on July 16, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I’m just not clear on why she’d necessarily be a significant upgrade over him

Your instincts are correct.

She is riding on her FOX aura, and a carefully constructed non position on amnesty

I posted this on another thread, re her Conda connection. Believe me she is hard to research and that should raise flags

Enzi voted against amnesty

From this pol blog towncrier
concerning Cesar Conda – the amnesty man

The guy who pulls Marco Rubio’s strings. Mentor to Paul Ryan. Advisor to Mitt Romney. Domestic policy advisor to Dick Cheney. FRIEND of Liz.

Florida Elections: The Crist to Rubio Switch (A former Dick Cheney assistant changes his mind) National Review ^ | 02/09/2010 | by Cesar Conda

[snip] Charlie Crist, if elected, would make a fine U.S. senator, and would probably be a reliable Republican vote on most issues. But I think Marco Rubio is more likely to be a leader when it comes to putting foward innovative conservative policy reforms and alternatives to America’s problems.
I’ve rounded up a group of friends, including Rep. Paul Ryan, Mary Matalin, Liz Cheney, ….. among others, to host an evening reception in my offices (901 7th Street, N.W., Washington) for Rubio after his speech before CPAC on Thursday, February 18. I’d invite all Corner readers to come over to meet Marco, who I believe will be Florida’s next U.S. Senator.
— Cesar Conda was assistant for domestic policy to Vice President Dick Cheney and senior economic policy adviser to the 2008 Mitt Romney for President Campaign.

Miz Cheney is part of the Club. Enzi has a good hard position on amnesty. He only wants specific guest worker programs.

For her to stage (stage) a challenge to a good vote Enzi, who had signaled no intent to leave the Senate, tells me the Club needs to get rid of that good vote and replace it with a club pro amnesty vote.

I think the Club is trying to do some housecleaning

I smell a rat. No tea party here folks. I would run from this one unless you are in the Bush basket

entagor on July 16, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Too bad she didn’t take up residence in SC, to take on Lindsey Lohan.

The State

Lindsey Graham: I expect a primary, even thought I’m a Ronald Reagan conservative

De Oppresso Liber on July 16, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Home in Virginia, run for office in Virginia.

limmo on July 16, 2013 at 7:49 PM

No scheit. We’ve got this fricking metrosexual Mr. Rogers wannabe faux-moderate Mark Warner up for reelection. Hey Liz, how about bailing out your home state?

crrr6 on July 16, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Some wikipedia-lifted background on the man Cheney’s trying to replace, Mike Enzi:

Political Positions

Enzi was ranked by National Journal as the sixth-most conservative U.S. Senator in its March 2007 conservative/liberal rankings. Despite his strong support of the War in Iraq, he was one of 14 U.S. Senators to vote against the Iraq War funding bill in May 2007 because he opposed the clauses of the bill which increase domestic spending.

Social issues
On social issues, Enzi is strongly conservative. He opposes all types of abortion and has voted in favor of proposals that would provide restrictions on the procedure for minors, those stationed on military bases, and other groups. He has voted in favor of failed constitutional amendments that suggested banning gay marriage and flag desecration. Enzi also is a strong supporter of gun rights and is ranked very favorably by the National Rifle Association (NRA).

Taxes and spending
Enzi supports imposing a new sales tax on internet sales and other sales of interstate commerce. On November 9, 2011 he introduced Senate Bill 1832 which would require businesses to calculate, collect and pay the new tax whenever they sell products or services to consumers from another state, regardless of the manner in which the sale is transacted. The bill provides no exemption for businesses in tax-free states, so even sellers within states that have no sales tax would be required to calculate and pay the new tax.

After the Marketplace Fairness Act (S.1832) failed in the 112th Congress, Enzi reintroduced it (twice) in the 113th Congress as the Marketplace Fairness Act of 2013 (S.336 and S.743).

Enzi has voted for the repeal of legislation governing such things as the estate tax and the “marriage penalty.” Enzi is a signer of Americans for Tax Reform’s Taxpayer Protection Pledge.

He supports partial privatization of Social Security and has consistently voted against measures to expand Medicare or to enroll more children or lower-class individuals in public health care.

Energy and trade
A strong supporter of the coal industry, Enzi also rejects alternative energy proposals and advocates Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR) and offshore drilling. Enzi’s committee led the first revisions to mine safety laws in 28 years by promoting the use of new technologies to improve mine safety and save lives. He has a somewhat mixed record on trade issues: he has voted to approve most free trade bills but has rejected the Central America Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA), one of the largest pieces of such legislation, and is opposed to presidential fast-tracking of trade relation normalization.

Enzi takes a hard-line view on illegal immigration and has been rated highly by groups that support tighter border controls. He has voted in favor of the construction of a fence along the U.S.-Mexican border and against the implementation of guest worker programs. Enzi has voted to uphold the PATRIOT Act and is opposed to calls to cut down on wiretapping and to extend rights to Guantanamo Bay detainees. Enzi also rejected calls for a timetable for military withdrawal from Iraq.

Health Care Reform
Enzi opposed President Barack Obama’s health reform legislation; he voted against the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act in December 2009, and he voted against the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010.

Enzi was one of the Gang of Six senators working to find a bipartisan solution to health care reform. Speaking on the topic, Enzi told the media, “We all want health care reform that will reduce costs, improve quality and expand access without breaking the bank. The bipartisan talks we’re having in the Finance Committee represent the best chance we have of achieving our shared goals, and I urge Democrat leaders not to close the door on these productive discussions.”

In 2005, Enzi became the ninth U.S. Senator from Wyoming to ascend to the rank of Chairman on one of the 16 standing committees in the U.S. Senate. Enzi has been a member of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee since his arrival in the U.S. Senate in 1997.

During his time as Chairman of the HELP Committee, 37 bills were reported out of the committee, 23 bills passed the U.S. Senate, 352 nominations were reported favorably, and 15 laws came through the committee that were eventually signed by President George W. Bush.

Gun Rights
In April 2013, Senator Enzi was one of forty-six senators to vote against the passing of a bill which would have expanded background checks for all gun buyers. Enzi voted with 40 Republicans and 5 Democrats to stop the passage of the bill. NY Times predicted a 0% chance of Senator Enzi voting Yay on the bill.

…So, what exactly do we gain by ousting Enzi for Cheney again?

Stoic Patriot on July 16, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Maybe George Zimmerman could move to Wyoming and run, although I don’t think he’s quite old enough.

VorDaj on July 16, 2013 at 8:01 PM

…but we might be in line for a Bush/Clinton battle in 2016…

Please God – no.

Hill60 on July 16, 2013 at 8:04 PM

entagor on July 16, 2013 at 7:57 PM

She needs to be made to answer why she has recently been supporting Rubio. What the hell is her position on amnesty. I don’t want another Rubio type. I will oppose her and support Enzi if it looks like she is going to be just another Rubio.

bluegill on July 16, 2013 at 8:04 PM

My collie says:

She will lose. Trust me.

CyberCipher on July 16, 2013 at 8:05 PM

HEY, LIZ. DO YOU SUPPORT PATHWAY TO CITIZENSHIP FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS?

That is what I want to know. If she does, she needs to go down in defeat.

bluegill on July 16, 2013 at 8:06 PM

bluegill on July 16, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Photo, screen shot, whatever. I don’t ascribe nefarious motives to any blogger here who, perhaps out of hurry/fatigue/distraction, etc. happens to post the occasional bad pic of a friendly pol. Keeps the blood pressure down, ya know?

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha:Lol,I’m not going to mention beavers,period
tonight,no way!:)

canopfor on July 16, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Thank goodness! My fainting couch is away getting reupholstered.

:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 16, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Special pathway, that is

bluegill on July 16, 2013 at 8:06 PM

…So, what exactly do we gain by ousting Enzi for Cheney again?

Stoic Patriot on July 16, 2013 at 8:00 PM

We trade a good man with a solid track record that we know for an unknown quantity. The whole idea is just dumb enough that it might actually happen.

alchemist19 on July 16, 2013 at 8:07 PM

We know Liz is a neocon, and associated with GWBush. Not goods. But was she a vocal opponent of amnesty? Or was she silent on it? Enzi opposed amnesty. I thought our main primary opponents are supposed to be those that voted for Rubio’s amnesty.

Actually, based on that fact that not a single comment here is defending her on amnesty, it seems pretty clear that she like Bush is pro-amnesty. Sorry, this isnt the answer.

anotherJoe on July 16, 2013 at 8:09 PM

bluegill on July 16, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 16, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Please, he obviously does it purposefully. Don’t be so naive. It’s clear as day. And nobody said he had “nefarious” motives. It seems he does it to be humorous. It actually makes the site more entertaining, and I think most of us get a kick out of it.

bluegill on July 16, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Happy Nomad on July 16, 2013 at 7:52 PM

If you are talking Booby Scott, I lived in that district for the first 48 years of my life. Nobody will ever beat Bobby Scott.

KCB on July 16, 2013 at 8:10 PM

*Typo*

KCB on July 16, 2013 at 8:10 PM

bw222 on July 16, 2013 at 7:57 PM

None of the people you mention are “neo-cons”. Neo-Conservatism does not have nation-building as tenet … or open immigration … or a pro-gay rights agenda. The best conception of Neo-Conservatism is related in Jeanne Kirkpatrick’s 1979 essay in Commentary titled -I believe- “On Dictatorships and Dual Standards”. It is available for free on line with a Google search, and is well worth the twenty or so minute read.

M240H on July 16, 2013 at 8:12 PM

entagor on July 16, 2013 at 7:57 PM

A low information poster.

Enzi voted against the Gang of Eight bill. If you don’t know what you are talking about, please keep your mouth shut.

bw222 on July 16, 2013 at 8:15 PM

As I said before, this is to set her up for a Presidential run in 2020 or 2024.

Chris of Rights on July 16, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Maybe, just maybe, Enzi is one of the ones who can withstand a primary challenge. He could win you know.

Bmore on July 16, 2013 at 8:16 PM

No, the base loathes them because they’re always caving in to left-wing Democrat legislation.

bgoldman on July 16, 2013 at 8:17 PM

entagor on July 16, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Sorry. I misread your post. I apologize.

bw222 on July 16, 2013 at 8:19 PM

canopfor on July 16, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Thank goodness! My fainting couch is away getting reupholstered.

:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 16, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha:Lol—:O

canopfor on July 16, 2013 at 8:19 PM

alchemist19 on July 16, 2013 at 8:07 PM

This.

Lawdawg86 on July 16, 2013 at 8:20 PM

entagor on July 16, 2013 at 7:57 PM

A low information poster.

bw222 on July 16, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Pretty sure that’s what entagor said. That the “powers that be” want to replace his vote with a pro-amnesty one.

Chris of Rights on July 16, 2013 at 8:21 PM

A low information poster.

bw222 on July 16, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I went back and read his/her post. Perhaps you should….

KCB on July 16, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Never mind. I see you did. :-)

KCB on July 16, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Could a Liz Cheney loss be a good thing? The message of a loss is sometimes just as important as a win.

Bmore on July 16, 2013 at 8:26 PM

I think it’s a safe bet to assume she supports amnesty. No one that close to the Bush leviathan would dare oppose it.

They’re trying to make chumps out of the conservatives in Wyoming. Don’t fall for it.

Dack Thrombosis on July 16, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Jon0815 on July 16, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Richard Cash is already running against Lindsey Graham in the Republican Primary for the South Carolina Senate seat.

Please help to spread the word about Richard Cash’s campaign against Lindsey Graham!

wren on July 16, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Unless I hear some horror stories about Enzi’s other votes, his vote against the Gang of Eight nightmare will get him my contributions in this race. Love Liz, but I believe in dancing with whom brung ya.

TXUS on July 16, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Google: “Liz Cheney” amnesty
Funny thing is I’ve just been googling on that, and I’m not getting an easy answer. A lot of “what’s her position on amnesty?” questions I find in the google results, just like here. Usually I get a google answer right away for a candidate and an issue. Not on this. Odd. This is an almost certain indication that she has strategically tried to remain silent on amnesty, but she, like GWBush, is for amnesty. Please, go back to Virginia or wherever!

anotherJoe on July 16, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Why shouldn’t a politician get primaried? He needs to quit whining and run a good campaign to beat her. I think it’s good when a politician has competition because it may keep them honest the rest of the time.

Vince on July 16, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Mike Enzi has been Wyoming’s U.S. Senator since January 1997.

Enzi’s voting record seems fine, but I don’t remember a single time when Senator Enzi took the lead on promoting a Conservative issue during his 17 years in the Senate.

I don’t live in Wyoming, so I won’t get a vote in this Primary. But if Liz Cheney can either light a fire under Mike Enzi to encourage him to be more of a Leader in the Conservative movement, or replace him, that type of competition sounds like a positive outcome to me.

Voting conservatively is good. Leading is better.

We know Liz Cheney would be an outspoken leader. Now we need to find out more about her specific positions on the key issues.

wren on July 16, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Vince on July 16, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Has Enzi ever been dishonest? If not then what message does this send to good, honest down-the-line conservatives? That you can hold office until someone with a more famous last name than you wants your seat then it’s “Thank you for your service but we’ll take it from here.”?

alchemist19 on July 16, 2013 at 9:08 PM

I’m not a fan. Foreign policy hawk, social liberal. That’s the impression I’ve had of her over these last few years.

Burke on July 16, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Vince on July 16, 2013 at 9:05 PM

This is the Sarah Palin approach. Primary challenges make better candidates. I have no problem with it, though I would probably vote for Enzi if he is slightly less interventionist in his foreign policy views than Liz.

Ted Torgerson on July 16, 2013 at 9:11 PM

I would like to see a primary challenge for Isackson as well. Chambliss is out. This place we send them to D.C. is very caustic and corrupting.

Bmore on July 16, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 16, 2013 at 7:35 PM

bluegill on July 16, 2013 at 7:45 PM

The picture was from her video.

Barred on July 16, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Bmore on July 16, 2013 at 9:14 PM

You and me both!

I’ve already let him know he will never get my vote again.

Barred on July 16, 2013 at 9:24 PM

The anti-Rubio?

Jindal / Cheney 2016

mjbrooks3 on July 16, 2013 at 9:26 PM

There are only 3 senators up for reelection in 2014 that i would like to see in office in 2015. Jim Risch, James Inhofe, and Tim Scott.

ritewhit on July 16, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Sorry about the extra c Johnny. Been doing that all day for some odd reason.

Bmore on July 16, 2013 at 9:39 PM

This is why the republican party should just disappear.

Panther on July 16, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Normally I am not a fan of primarying people who are generally not a nuisance (unlike McCain, I never heard of Enzi being obnoxious, let alone heard of him, period) but if we must, might as well be a sweeeeeet neocon :)

thebrokenrattle on July 16, 2013 at 9:48 PM

As for beltway insiders like Mike Enzi, let me quote one of the greatest young minds of the 21st century: “They old. That’s old school people. We in a new school, our generation, my generation.”

That’s not to say I support Liz Cheney, just that it doesn’t matter, because America is doomed.

EricW on July 16, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Sorry. I misread your post. I apologize.

bw222 on July 16, 2013 at 8:19 PM

No problem

I often type ahead of my brain. As soon as I saw your post I figured I put it wrong. I am just glad I didn’t make a fool of myself

Thanks for reading my post anyway

I try to get everything I find posted, as fast as I find it.The reason is there are professionals feeding misinformation as planned propaganda. Whenever a new pol enters a race they try to create the first sound bites on the principle the first thing you hear might never be replaced with better information

A lot of time others have better data but any hard information gets the ball rolling towards truth.

Enzi likes the Internet tax. Between the internet tax, and amnesty, you have a chance of reversing the tax.

There is a test you can use on currently elected politicians concerning amnesty: check out their money bags. The amnesty pushers are collecting big bucks. Opensecrets check the chart Total Raised vs. Average Raised for Graham vs Jeff Sessions for instance. Boehner? oh my

You cannot use this test on new names like L Cheney, which is why she could gain momentum. This helped Rubio gain a Senate seat

entagor on July 16, 2013 at 10:47 PM

McLame and Grahamnasty are both hated because they fold like cheap suits.

Mr. Grump on July 16, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Don’t get me wrong, she is very articulate, but replacing Enzi would actually be a downgrade for conservatism. Neo-con on foreign policy and most likely big government or ‘compassionate conservative’ on domestic policy. I thought the Bush years finally taught the grassroots/Tea Party right that such a formula is in fact not conservative and damaging to the country and Republican party. And since when is Enzi not being in the limelight a negative; is Schumer the preferred style?!? Enzi is definitely no DeMint or Lee, but a quiet and pretty conservative senator is preferable to an establishment senator with neo-con beliefs.

voss63 on July 16, 2013 at 11:29 PM

She needs to let folks know her positions up front. May disagree with some of them, but voters should be better informed as to what product they are buying with their votes.

What I can’t stand is when they lie about their views, or mislead voters to get elected, or “evolve” on issues after they’re elected….*cough*Rubio*cough*…sorry, some phlegm in there.

If you’re pro-choice, pro-amnesty, pro-Marx, whatever, let us know beforehand. Who knows…you might have a better chance with GOP voters than the Repub who is pro-life, pro-amnesty, and pro-Lenin.

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 16, 2013 at 11:31 PM

I don’t know. Enzo doesn’t seem too bad. He’s got a pretty good record. Regarding taxes, he seems to want to rearrange the pieces on the board. It’s nice he wants to eliminate estate tax and such, but I would not pursue an Internet sales tax without other eliminations.

Still, he’s a lifer, and I’m all for fresh blood kicking out lifers, but not if they’re less conservative. We’ll have to see her positions, but I have the feeling she’s less conservative than most people think.

I wonder if a Wyoming senate seat has been her long term plan, knowing she couldn’t win in Virginia. Hmm…

Dongemaharu on July 17, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Hopefully if this gets enough people mad that she’s doing this, maybe it will cool the jets of primarying everyone and risking seats that were never in danger.

thebrokenrattle on July 17, 2013 at 12:37 AM

For those who haven’t seen Liz in action:

Liz Cheney Utterly Destroys Norah O’Donnell

Winghunter on July 17, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Liz Cheney Utterly Destroys Norah O’Donnell

Winghunter on July 17, 2013 at 2:08 AM

This woman needs to be President.

John the Libertarian on July 17, 2013 at 3:52 AM

Question – Why is she better than Enzi?

Answer – she has a vagina.

powerpickle on July 16, 2013 at 7:35 PM

That also applies to McCant and Gramnesty, and that isn’t a good thing.

Myron Falwell on July 17, 2013 at 7:09 AM