Video: Liz Cheney announces that she’s primarying Mike Enzi in Wyoming

posted at 7:21 pm on July 16, 2013 by Allahpundit

The NYT told us last week that this was coming and now here it is. Guy Benson wrote about it at the time in the Greenroom; I wrote my own post about the prospects of an Enzi/Cheney race back in April.

The vibe I’ve gotten from the comments and from other righty blogs over the last 10 days is that people are gung ho for her to take Enzi on. Candidly, I don’t understand why. Nothing against her; she’s obviously sharp and has lots of Beltway experience from advising her father over the years. I’m just not clear on why she’d necessarily be a significant upgrade over him. She’s known mainly for being a super-hawk in the mold of her dad, but super-hawkishness (as distinct from hawkishness) was, I thought, momentarily out of fashion among grassroots conservatives. McCain and Graham are the two Republicans in Congress most loathed by the base, in part because of their penchant for interventionism, but Cheney presumably will be right there with them on foreign policy in the Senate. Some people seem to want Enzi out because he’s a multi-term incumbent and the Senate needs “new blood,” but how new is the blood when the “insurgent” is the daughter of the last Republican VP? Someone joked on Twitter this afternoon after the news of her candidacy broke that we’re now in line for a new Bush/Cheney ticket in 2016 or 2020. Probably not, but we might be in line for a Bush/Clinton battle in 2016 with a Cheney in Congress stumping for the GOP side. If you’re okay with that, then okay. But that’s an odd definition of “new blood.”

The grassroots support for her is interesting to me, though, insofar as it suggests a broad Cheney exception to the general tea-party anti-establishment rule. There remains a reservoir of goodwill for Bush among the righty base partly because he’s personally gracious and partly because people on our side are naturally defensive about someone whom the left loathes to such an insane degree. The goodwill for Dick Cheney comes, in a way, from the opposite impulse — he knows the left hates him, doesn’t care even a tiny bit, and will stand firm on foreign policy even if the entire world’s against him. He’s a giant middle finger to the left, so he — and presumably Liz — get a pass on being Beltway mainstays. That’s how she can kinda sorta position herself as the grassroots upstart against the, ahem, Mike Enzi machine in Wyoming. (Minor footnote to that: Thanks to her connections, she’ll almost certainly raise much more money for this race than he will.) And the more other GOP establishment types side with Enzi against her in the name of protecting incumbency, which is already happening even among Bush administration figures, the more grassroots cred she’ll have.

Having said all that, the race will be loads of fun. And whether you like or dislike Cheney, there’s no way her floor debates with Rand Paul on foreign policy won’t be enjoyable if she wins. Paul, in fact, has already quasi-endorsed Enzi, so the “tea-party vote” will be complicated in Wyoming. Is the older, Paul-backed incumbent the tea-party choice? Or is the scion of a consummate GOP establishment figure the tea-party choice? Hmmmm.

Exit quotation:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I want my hair just like hers.

bluegill on July 17, 2013 at 7:56 AM

As a former resident of LAramie, I would not support her.
While Enzi’s been in too long, for sure, this political heredity crap is getting ridiculous.

Badger40 on July 17, 2013 at 8:51 AM

I think she will be an upgrade, if only because she will be an outstanding spokesperson for many conservative causes. I have watched with delight on several occasions when she eviscerated various liberal politicians and talking heads with precise and cogent arguments. Too bad she can’t take out a liberal on her way up.

mdavt on July 17, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Deck chairs on the Titanic. Unless either of them actually develops the nads and/or the intellect to publicly acknowledge that we are at war with Muslims – all Muslims – then they might as well just kill themselves. We’d be no worse off.

WhatSlushfund on July 17, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Why trade one political insider for another?

Her father – for his few hawkish good traits – was also one of the Establishment GOP Ayatollah’s that threw the GOP into ruins.

Why would you want his daughter – who’s essentially endorsed each and every position Cheney himself took? She’s just as “plugged in” to the establishment.

Who do you think she has more connections with? Mitch McConnell or Rand Paul? Yeah right – the former not the latter.

Tea Party support? Well I’m not surprised since the TP has allowed itself to be FOOLED by GOP Ayatollahs in the past.

HondaV65 on July 17, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Every politician should be primaried, just so that they have to mingle with all of us and earn our vote.

beatcanvas on July 17, 2013 at 9:08 AM

She’s not from Wyoming, NOT from Wyoming, NOT FROM WYOMING. She says she “attended” elementary and junior high in Wyoming but for how long- months, two years? Her parents grew up in Wyoming, but Liz was born in ’66 in Wisconsin and Dick was in and out of jobs in DC starting in ’69. By ’78, he was elected to Congress and didn’t really come back to live full-time in Wyoming until retirement. Liz grew up in the DC area and graduated from high school there. She worked there…probably still does. She bought a house in Wyoming about a year ago and says most of her kids attend school there, but Wikipedia says the oldest four go to school in posh private in Virginia. Did she sell a home in the DC area when she “moved” to Wyoming? When did the kids transfer schools? Does her husband work in Wyoming or DC? If Liz Cheney was really from Wyoming, she would know that trashing the people and party who supported her parents so loyally over the years will not help her win election from Wyoming. She’s not from Wyoming!

limmo on July 17, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I am so sick of this generational politics. Enzi has been a strong conservative in the Senate. It’s not like he is a Spector. The only reason why Liz Cheney would run against him is to further the career of Liz Cheney. Regardless, Palin will stump for her simply because she is a woman.

OliverB on July 17, 2013 at 9:27 AM

What a bunch of cry babies here! For all we know she is Palin II and will do a great job.iF she is conserv ative the media will try and destroy her,we shall see.
Remember there are no:
100 per cent CANDIDATES AROUND!!
She will be a great advocate for common sense conservatism but
SHE WONT BE 100% SO GET OVER IT!!

rodguy911 on July 17, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I like Liz Cheney and I know she is a strong advocate for the military but is she really a neocon interventionist? She knew what the vision was for going into the war in Iraq and Afghanistan and what the goals were, does the fact that she criticizes Obama mean she is going to get involved over there? Besides, she’s a senator, not a president.

Cindy Munford on July 17, 2013 at 9:50 AM

rodguy911 on July 17, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Agreed, we know she isn’t going to make a stand for traditional marriage but I’m not sure Palin would either. There are bigger and more important problems.

Cindy Munford on July 17, 2013 at 9:52 AM

beatcanvas on July 17, 2013 at 9:08 AM

This. This. This.

And Enzi’s reaction is that of an entitled crybaby: “I thought we were friends, wah, wah wah.” Translation: This is my seat as long as I want it. The Party promised it to me!

And Ari Fleischer’s is that of entitled good ol boy network: “Cheney will make a great senator someday. Just not now.” Translation: Sit down and shut up until WE decide to retire a good ol boy.

Whatever happened to serving for a time and then retiring?

Why did Enzi cosponsor the Internet sales tax bill a few months ago? Perhaps he’s been there too long, ya’ think?

Cheney’s not perfect at all. That’s not what I’m saying.

But the GOP’s reaction to getting a challenger is DECIDEDLY anti-competitive – especially for the party that has a platform extolling free-market competition. (Though of course we know in practice the GOP is the party of crony capitalism and not free-market capitalism every bit as much as the Dems.)

And BTW, there’s no love lost between the Bushes and the Cheneys. NO SURPRISE at all that the Bush peeps are attacking a Cheney. No surprise at all.

hrh40 on July 17, 2013 at 9:59 AM

…She’s not from Wyoming!

limmo on July 17, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Yep. She’s pulling a Hillary.

OliverB on July 17, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I agree except I don’t think Palin will stump for her. At least, I hope not. I like Palin a lot, and can understand her reluctance to criticize McCain specifically. But you don’t support crap like this.

Fenris on July 17, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I want my hair just like hers.

bluegill on July 17, 2013 at 7:56 AM

I had to laugh. I started watching the video before looking at any of the comments and my first thought was, “I love her hair.”

Yes, she’s got my vote for best hair anyway.

TeaTrekkie on July 17, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I want my hair just like hers.

bluegill on July 17, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Yes, she’s got my vote for best hair anyway.

TeaTrekkie on July 17, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I had to gag. I was flipping back and forth between threads and thought I was on the Hillary thread. But ja, the hair looks good.

Fenris on July 17, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Way to go GOP!!!

Prediction – Liz Cheney will run and use her father’s connections to oust Enzi in the primary. Enzi, being the typical “entitled-to-my-job-forever” politician will be pissed and pull a Charlie Crist and go “independent”. This will fracture the Republican vote in WY and give whatever sad-sack Democrat a real chance to win….

I loved all the predictions earlier this week about how the GOP was poised to retake the Senate because of Schweitzer’s decision in Montana not to run….hahahahaha, no fear Democrats, Republicans can fuck-up a one-car parade, so you Lib-Progs are golden for the remainder of Obama’s 2nd term.

powerpickle on July 17, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Jenna Bush 2024

tetriskid on July 17, 2013 at 10:29 AM

At least Enzi didn’t vote for the illegal immigration bill.

Here are the 14 Republican traitor senators who voted for the legislation:

Dean Heller of Nevada;

John Hoeven of North Dakota

Mark Kirk of Illinois;

John McCain of Arizona;

Lisa Murkowski of Alaska;

Marco Rubio of Florida.

Jeantel for VP in 2016. Hillary would change the age facet of the law to get her in. That w/b the ultimate ticket.

Schadenfreude on July 17, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Excellent.
This is gonna be a good show.

verbaluce on July 17, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Remember there are no:
100 per cent CANDIDATES AROUND!!
She will be a great advocate for common sense conservatism but
SHE WONT BE 100% SO GET OVER IT!!

rodguy911 on July 17, 2013 at 9:45 AM

By that standard, shouldn’t she “get over it” that Enzi isn’t 100%?

It isn’t a question of who is or is not 100%. It’s a question of who is stronger on the important issues. Enzi is weak on the Internet Sales Tax. Horribly so in fact. Yet, strong on most everything else.

Cheney is a good talker from the outside. Yet she is at best an unknown quantity on the issues of amnesty and gay marriage. She will need to clarify her positions on both, and I believe that the less she says in that regard… well, here no news is bad news. How is she on most social issues in fact? I’ve always been wary of feminists – however they talk as candidates once in office they always become weak conservatives that jump on us when given an opportunity – that’s why my first thought always leads to Ayotte or Murkowski however uncertain the parallel is in that regard.

Finally she’ll need to answer the question why? Even if she’s okay, it’s hard to see where she really is conservative enough to justify the challenge. If nobody is 100% what is the rationale behind challenging one 85% conservative with another 85% conservative? Wouldn’t she have been better off challenging 2% Warner in Virginia? I think that’s what bothers me the most. The stirring of a pot that doesn’t need to be stirred, sounds like its driven mostly by an urgent desire to kickstart her own political career. Probably not realistic, but I always prefer candidates that seek advancement out of service to their nation rather than desire to pump their own names on their schedule.

Gingotts on July 17, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Excellent.
This is gonna be a good show.

verbaluce on July 17, 2013 at 10:53 AM

verbaluce likes the idea, that’s all you need to know.

Fenris on July 17, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Way to go GOP!!!

Nah, not in Wyoming. Cook PVI R+22. If that were to happen, Enzi would win as an Independent. Murkowski pulled that off and Alaska (R+12) isn’t nearly as conservative as Wyoming. In state government Dems can be competitive but they haven’t elected a Democrat to the US Senate since 1970.

Gingotts on July 17, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Excellent.
This is gonna be a good show.

verbaluce on July 17, 2013 at 10:53 AM

She’s not Akin-brain. Your joy is premature.

Schadenfreude on July 17, 2013 at 11:05 AM

limmo on July 17, 2013 at 9:14 AM

But her great grandmother was a sheriff there!
And her kids all have (new) ‘Wyoming Cowboys’ shirts.
And she makes videos with wispy farmland in the background…while wearing a blue denim shirt!

verbaluce on July 17, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Excellent.
This is gonna be a good show.

verbaluce on July 17, 2013 at 10:53 AM

She’s not Akin-brain. Your joy is premature.

Schadenfreude on July 17, 2013 at 11:05 AM

No…she’s Liz Cheney.
So a good show will be had.
Bet she can’t wait to start scaring Wyomingites.
The above will be as sunny as she ever gets.
(‘Harlot on the plains’)

verbaluce on July 17, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Carpetbagging is carpetbagging. When the Clinton’s do it. And when the Cheney’s do it. Both are disgusting.

Carnac on July 17, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Carnac on July 17, 2013 at 11:18 AM

VP Cheney had to do the same thing when he got the nod because he was living in Texas. I think he already had a home in Wyoming but it wasn’t his place of residence.

Cindy Munford on July 17, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Great, another war monger. Just what the GOP needs.

EddieC on July 17, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Eh. When it comes to politicians that have spent 15+ years in Washington, I think they need a primary refresher every couple of terms.

ZachV on July 17, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Cindy Munford on July 17, 2013 at 9:52 AM

This is true, but as we saw with Rubio, someone with great conservative credentials can be rendered useless when they pander to the left on one issue. For Rubio it was immigration.

I don’t know if Cheney would make an issue of gay marriage (though it seems hard for her to avoid it) but if that’s what she ends up being about, it’s a waste of opportunity.

virgo on July 17, 2013 at 11:25 AM

It would be better if she ran in some other race but having her in the senate would rock.

CrustyB on July 17, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Enzi has been a strong conservative in the Senate.
OliverB on July 17, 2013 at 9:27 AM

i’m not real familiar w/ enzi but i do know he was leading the charge in favor of an internet sales tax. and that aint conservatve at all.

chasdal on July 17, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Oh Great! All we need is another Senator in the McCain Graham mould.

Tater Salad on July 17, 2013 at 11:39 AM

CrustyB on July 17, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Which of her positions rock?

For the NSA?
For intervention in Syria?
For gay marriage?

Tater Salad on July 17, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Enzi reacts: “She said that if I ran, she wasn’t going to run…I thought we were friends.”

That’s why she is running, because this guy is a whiner, a crybaby…get these pansies out of politics.

right2bright on July 17, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Gingotts:

You may well be right on Lynn Cheney when it comes to immigration and gay marriage.
Personally on gay marriage I wish the govt. would GTH out of the businees of bedroom watching since there are a few other areas of govt. that seem to be lacking.
THat being said I did a search for two hours and covered over 40 link on both Dick and Lynn Cheney and can’t find anything they have stated or positions they have taken on immigration it’s as if they have no poisition.
For me if she’s a gang of eighter, soft on the border or weak on letting illegals vote and getting citizenship I’d have to throw her in the same dust bin with Marco. But until we know…I’m willing to give her a shot.
You gotta admit she has name recognition anational presences few have can get on any show to promote our arguement when key issues pop up and has pretty good charisma appeal.
I never heard of Enzi to tell you the truth.
I’m not saying Enzi hasn’t been a good rep for Wyoming he proably has.
The diifference between him and Lynn is that Lynn Cheney has the potential to be an advocate for the entire country not just Wyoming and has world wide recognition. Two difference worlds here.

rodguy911 on July 17, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Yep. She’s pulling a Hillary.

Fenris on July 17, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Pal, her roots were in Wyoming, she went to school there, this is no “Hillary”…good grief,at least be somewhat accurate, say you don’t think she is qualified to be a resident and tell us why…but you can’t.

right2bright on July 17, 2013 at 12:07 PM

rodguy911 on July 17, 2013 at 12:06 PM

WE need leaders, not “senators”…excellent post.

right2bright on July 17, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Finally she’ll need to answer the question why? …

Gingotts on July 17, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Watch the video included in this post. In the last minute or so, she lists several reasons why she is running.

hrh40 on July 17, 2013 at 12:11 PM

right2bright on July 17, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Colorado & Chicago are in Wyoming now?

Were you in geography with Rachel Jeantel?

tetriskid on July 17, 2013 at 12:13 PM

virgo on July 17, 2013 at 11:25 AM

At this point I’m wondering who isn’t a waste.

Cindy Munford on July 17, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Interesting. I wish her well.

I have nothing against Enzi- frankly, I have rarely heard of him. Maybe that’s the problem?

I’m not from Wyoming, and know little about the state. Maybe Enzi has been a reliable Senator for them. If so, he should be able to make a case for what he has done, and will continue to do.

There is no such thing as an “entitled” seat IMHO, though, so he should anticipate & be prepared for primary & general election opponents every 6 years.

Cheney also has to make the case for her candidacy, and if she is able to do so well, she shows promise as a leader for her state & nation.

It sounds like either of them should be able to win the general, so I don’t see a big downside for the GOP from a contested primary.

As an aside- I don’t think Palin will actually run for Senator for Alaska, but if she did… can you imagine a GOP majority Senate with Rand Paul, Liz Cheney, Sarah Palin, etc. in it?

The possibility warms the heart…

cs89 on July 17, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Liz Cheney Utterly Destroys Norah O’Donnell

Winghunter on July 17, 2013 at 2:08 AM

She needs to be Secretary of State. Or Defense.

merlich on July 17, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I have preached long and loud to empty rooms about the need for congressional term limits. Since it is obvious that the Congress will never term limit theyselves — it’s up to the electorate …

I don’t care if the incumbent senator is the second coming of Christ…. after three terms, and at 69 years old, it’s time to retire and come home…

I’ll say the same thing about Ms Cheney in 12 years….. if she does a good job. Six if she doesn’t…..

Pecozbill on July 17, 2013 at 12:46 PM

right2bright.
Thanks
I’m still looking for any take she or Dick may have made on immigration.I must be a really bad researcher since I can’t find anything.
I agree with you however, we do despertely need leadership in the party and Lynn could add to that big time.

rodguy911 on July 17, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I believe it’s time for Mike Enzi to retire, for the same reason others have mentioned. I don’t believe anyone should stay in the Senate for too long.

However, I don’t want Liz Cheney. Sorry, Liz, I know you’re good on most issues. But I don’t want another super-hawk in the Senate and I don’t want another Bush or Cheney ever. We need to stop with the political dynasties in this country.

Shump on July 17, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Way to go GOP!!!

Gingotts on July 17, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I guess it depends on how nasty the primary race gets. If Cheney and Enzi decide to engage in UFC-style primary politics, then they will damage each other beyond repair. That can lead a lot of R’s to just stay home on election night (especially considering it’s an off-year election) and thus throw a monkey wrench in the works.

After the complete clusterfark of “polling” and “political punditry” in the 2012 election, I’m not putting my bets on what the Cook PVI score is. The GOP managed to totally throw a winnable election and LOST ground in the Senate with one of the best years to do pick-ups in a decade. They will screw this one up too….

powerpickle on July 17, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I would agree with you on the dynasties aspect if we just had so many Sarah Palins and Ted Cruz’s lined up all we had to do was pick one off a hero tree, but we don’t.

rodguy911 on July 17, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Carnac on July 17, 2013 at 11:18 AM

EXACTLY.

right2bright on July 17, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I don’t think that is true.
And buying a house in Jackson Hole, if that indeed is what she has done lately, is not going to impress most Wyomingites.
Jackson’s a liberal town now. It’s not the ranch town it once was, thanks to rich liberals who found it pretty.
Cody is pretty much the same way (not entirely).
I lived there for several years & that really didn’t make me a resident.
Of course, the residents of WY can make their own decision.
And it’s certainly Liz’s right to run.
But her posturing and trying to get rid of her carpet bagging image is sad.

Badger40 on July 17, 2013 at 1:00 PM

She’s on television a lot.

That counts a lot, doesn’t it?

Pathetic.

Dack Thrombosis on July 17, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Just where does she get the sense of entitlement. If she had any last name but Cheney she would be just another network talking head. I bow to none in my admiration for her father. I always considered him one of the few adults in Washington and all the spite directed at him has only reinforced my opinion. Nepotism and the undeserved sense of entitlement should have no place in American politics. I never understood how the people of New York embraced the carpetbagging Hillary Clinton and I won’t understand it if Wyoming does the same. If she wants into politics, let her run for precinct captain, then work her way up.

yesiamapirate on July 17, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Her father helped usher in the first half of the Omnipotent Security – Welfare State. 0bama put the 2nd half in. Her policies are her father’s, I’ll pass on her.

Lou Budvis on July 17, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Yep. She’s pulling a Hillary.

Fenris on July 17, 2013 at 10:10 AM

right2bright on July 17, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Born in Wisconson, school in Virginia (while her Dad nominally lived in Wyoming), college in Colorado and currently lives in Virginia. Though she now owns a house in Colorado.

Fenris on July 17, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Oops, should’ve been owns a house in Wyoming, of course.

Fenris on July 17, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I am not going to blindly vote ‘tea party’ anymore than I am going to blindly vote Republican. I like to see competition in our primaries because it gives us more of a choice and makes our reps work harder.

bitsy on July 17, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Whose idea was it to put out that YouTube video? I tuned out after about 15 seconds. She will put voters to sleep if that’s her campaign message.

J Baustian on July 18, 2013 at 9:45 AM

J Baustian on July 18, 2013 at 9:45 AM

It’s supposed to be boring. Youtube videos that are too interesting tend to land one in prison these days.

Gingotts on July 18, 2013 at 8:46 PM