Great news, America: Weiner, Spitzer both leading in new poll of New York City voters

posted at 6:01 pm on July 15, 2013 by Allahpundit

Confession: It used to bug me when conservatives would dump on my hometown. I understood it wasn’t personal — red-state voters will obviously disdain a deep blue city. And there’s no disputing, whatever your feelings about NYC, that Bloomberg’s a cretin and the Yankees are evil. But still, you can’t listen to people dumping on the place where you grew up and not wince. It hits you where you live. Literally.

That’s how I felt. Until I saw this, and now, suddenly, I get it. I can finally watch “Cloverfield” and enjoy it without misgivings.

I made it. I’m one of you. Candy-ass RINO no more.

Strong support among black voters propels former Congressman Anthony Weiner to the top of the heap in the Democratic primary for New York City mayor and gives former Gov. Eliot Spitzer a 48 – 33 percent lead over Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer in the Democratic primary race for city comptroller, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released today…

Weiner gets 25 percent of primary voters, with 22 percent for City Council Speaker Christine Quinn, 11 percent for former Comptroller William Thompson, 10 percent for Public Advocate Bill de Blasio, 7 percent for Comptroller John Liu, 1 percent for former City Council member Sal Albanese and 21 percent undecided, the independent Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pe-ack) University poll finds…

Financial impropriety is a worse offense for an elected official than sexual misconduct, New York City Democrats say 69 – 22 percent. Financial impropriety is worse, women say 66 – 25 percent and men say 73 – 18 percent, white voters say 76 – 15 percent, black voters say 65 – 28 percent and Hispanic voters say 60 – 31 percent.

Check out the favorable ratings for Weiner versus Client Number Nine, especially the gender split. Am I awake?

awes

Democratic men are heavily favorable towards both, but the guy who sent pervy photos of himself on Twitter is at -3 among women Dems while the guy who broke the law by hiring hookers and then held a mea culpa press conference with his poor wife at the podium with him is at … +17. What? Is that a simple product of Spitzer’s scandal having faded in time while Weiner’s is still relatively fresh, or is it a reflection of the fact that there’s more to Spitz’s resume than being smug in MSNBC segments and getting nothing passed in Congress, which is the sum total of Weiner’s? If you prefer the latter theory, read this recent post from Philip Klein about Spitzer’s abuse of power and vindictiveness when he was state attorney general, the office that catapulted him to the governor’s seat. If Spitzer’s “accomplishments” account for his higher favorable rating with Democrats, that’s a worse indictment of voters than easy forgiveness after a sex scandal.

Comments

Anyone know if NewYorkers were trained to vote with these voter aids?

Bmore on July 15, 2013 at 6:05 PM

what a hot mess NY is. You deserve these clowns.

acyl72 on July 15, 2013 at 6:05 PM

New Yorkers are leftists.

The Earth is really round.

Schadenfreude on July 15, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Blogger to have lots of material for snarky posts.

rbj on July 15, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Is that an unflattering picture or what.

Which make it…teh awesome.

22044 on July 15, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Weiner and Spitzer are New York City and they epitomize the mindsets and value systems of all who live there.

rplat on July 15, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Blogger to have lots of material for snarky posts.

rbj on July 15, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Blogger to vote for douchebag politicians out of self-interest.

22044 on July 15, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I made it. I’m one of you. Candy-ass RINO no more.

It’s dark in here.

Schadenfreude on July 15, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I honestly see a day in the future when “democrat” goes the way of “Nazi.” No one is going to want to admit they were ever a part of that party.

Rational Thought on July 15, 2013 at 6:08 PM

It’s dark in here.

Schadenfreude on July 15, 2013 at 6:08 PM

And hot.

22044 on July 15, 2013 at 6:09 PM

WeinerSpitzers: A weiner wrap with a pretzel dough.

portlandon on July 15, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Not that its indicative of New York…Bunch of losers, they deserve what they vote for and in this case, two P.O.S.

major dad on July 15, 2013 at 6:10 PM

ha, I’m not a fan of my hometown either, it’s full of leftist victims.

I’m usually the one doing the dumping, and enjoying every minute of it.

NYC? I’ve never been there, and I still can’t stand it.

kirkill on July 15, 2013 at 6:11 PM

NYC is sure populated by a lot of mentally sick people.

VorDaj on July 15, 2013 at 6:12 PM

*Throws hands in the air, walks away.*

ThePrez on July 15, 2013 at 6:13 PM

They love their perverts.

Buddahpundit on July 15, 2013 at 6:13 PM

serious low-info voters. “Hey, there’s a name I’ve heard of!” then checks box next to Charles Manson.

kirkill on July 15, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I’m just guessing Weiner’s a Yankees fan.

Flange on July 15, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Just a reminder: Hispanic voters are naturally conservative on social and cultural issues.

Seth Halpern on July 15, 2013 at 6:16 PM

NYC survives on a rich history of cultural capital, which it burns through at a rapid pace. The city peaked in the 1980′s, or earlier.

Now it’s one of those “nice place to visit, wouldn’t want to live there” type of places.

visions on July 15, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Just proof of how immoral and just plain stupid all Democrats are.

Warner Todd Huston on July 15, 2013 at 6:18 PM

visions on July 15, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Never been myself, but Shanghainese friends who have recently all describe it as a ‘third-world shithole’.

DarkCurrent on July 15, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Nice reference to the White Album. Is that now racist?

John the Libertarian on July 15, 2013 at 6:19 PM

John the Libertarian on July 15, 2013 at 6:19 PM

He could have linked the tagline. Or would he have had to ban himself?

Bmore on July 15, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Or would he have had to ban himself?

Bmore on July 15, 2013 at 6:22 PM

That song scared the beejeezus out of me when I was a little kid.

John the Libertarian on July 15, 2013 at 6:26 PM

DarkCurrent on July 15, 2013 at 6:19 PM

It’s a really fun place to visit. There are a lot of interesting shops and restaurants and things to do. But to live? Nah. Only if you’re a single guy (with roommates) and cats and no kids.

visions on July 15, 2013 at 6:27 PM

“Financial impropriety is a worse offense for an elected official than sexual misconduct,…”

Apparently, our current $17 Trillion dollar debt isn’t much of an issue to the fine voters of New York…

Seven Percent Solution on July 15, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I’m sure the State Run Media will be interviewing all the women in their past…right?

d1carter on July 15, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I don’t get it. Are people here equally upset and perplexed about Sanford winning his election? Don’t politicians come back from scandals all the time?

tneloms on July 15, 2013 at 6:32 PM

I made it. I’m one of you. Candy-ass RINO no more.

Damn. This is the Apocalypse. I’m almost out of time.

Marry me, Sophie! And quick! Anyone want to publish a dystopian novel? I’m going to put a jacuzzi in my truck bed . . . what else, what else . . .

Axe on July 15, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Would these elections be considered part of the War On Women..?

d1carter on July 15, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I’m just glad Skeletor will soon be an elected official again. Even money which one I’m talking about.

JeremiahJohnson on July 15, 2013 at 6:38 PM

I made it. I’m one of you. Candy-ass RINO no more.

*gives AP a hug*

Welcome to the party. It is horrific, isn’t it. Sorry it had to be this way.

kim roy on July 15, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I can think of no two candidates that are more an epitomy of NYC than a Spitzer and Weiner. They are NYC! Deal with that.

Happy Nomad on July 15, 2013 at 6:41 PM

AP, I ever tell you how cool I thought you were? I do. I thought I should tell you once, here at the end of all things.

Axe on July 15, 2013 at 6:41 PM

visions on July 15, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Nope. Would rather visit a red state and not give me money to loons and heathens.

kim roy on July 15, 2013 at 6:42 PM

There are 8 million story’s in the city that never sleeps but they all love them some mafia and sleazy politicians.

docflash on July 15, 2013 at 6:46 PM

visions on July 15, 2013 at 6:17 PM

kim roy on July 15, 2013 at 6:42 PM

I’m with you Kim. Wouldn’t want to be arrested for drinking too much soda or asking for a salt shaker. The really sad part is that I’ve got a brother living in Manhattan who is fully behind all this crap.

Happy Nomad on July 15, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Happy Nomad on July 15, 2013 at 6:52 PM

No kidding. Sorry about the brother. It’s so baffling that people want to be parented all their lives. Dunno about you, but I like making my own decisions. ;)

kim roy on July 15, 2013 at 6:59 PM

And I thought this only happened on the West Coast.

rickv404 on July 15, 2013 at 7:08 PM

AP, I’d love to tell you it was just New York, but stupid is nationwide. I think we just expect N.Y. to know better. I don’t know why we expect that but it just seems like it should.

Cindy Munford on July 15, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Happy Nomad on July 15, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Just make sure you get the last laugh and outlive him by a decade without the nanny state.

Cindy Munford on July 15, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Is that the choice in NYC? Crooks or pervs as politicians?

BL@KBIRD on July 15, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Nice reference to the White Album. Is that now racist?

John the Libertarian on July 15, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Revolution # 9 – Listen to it ! It’s a trip . That’s what I think it would be like to be on acid (no I haven’t tried it myself) but obviously 95 % of NY has.

cableguy615 on July 15, 2013 at 7:40 PM

…correction IS

cableguy615 on July 15, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Maybe when they win their respective races the New York Dems can get together for a big victory orgy.

hisfrogness on July 15, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Just proof of how immoral and just plain stupid all Democrats are.

Warner Todd Huston on July 15, 2013 at 6:18 PM

They came back to Marion Barry in DC after being videoed smoking crack in a hotel room with a hooker…so nothing really surprises me anymore.

JetBoy on July 15, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Ive got Spitzer, Wiener and Mark Sanford as my 3, 4 & 5 batters on my fantasy sex scandal team, The COmeback Kids.

Looking for a DH and a closer.

rickyricardo on July 15, 2013 at 8:27 PM

If both are elected, it will prove the adage, we deserve the government we elect.

bflat879 on July 15, 2013 at 8:30 PM

We deserve goobermint we have. Disfunctional, sociopaths run the show and the rest of us lemmings bend over and take it up the 18th hole while paying our bills.

rickyricardo on July 15, 2013 at 8:30 PM

rickyricardo on July 15, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Check out the mayor of San Diego.

Cindy Munford on July 15, 2013 at 8:45 PM

…dicks!

KOOLAID2 on July 15, 2013 at 8:52 PM

NY will probably go the Detroit way with such a ‘stellar’ team at the helm…

jimver on July 15, 2013 at 10:04 PM

It’s time to carve out little liberal niches and give them their own country to ruin. Let’s call it “Utopia” and NYC will be its capital. We’ll write our own bullet-proof Constitution that keeps you clowns from ruining our newly formed “Liberty States of America”.

Decoski on July 15, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I was hoping that this wouldn’t happen, that voters would have more sense than this. Boy am I a bumbling idiot.
I can understand some young boy taking lude photos of himself and posting them online And then lying and blaming hackers and even al Qaeda for it, but not a grown man who was an elected official. I can also understand a young man thinking it was ok to become involved with prostitutes, but not a grown married man whose former job it was to prosecute them. I’ll never understand how anyone could vote either of them into an office again, that’s just absurd. I will also never understand the audacity of people who think these actions shouldn’t discourage them from seeking the publics trust and run for another office after such a short time. But here they are.

scalleywag on July 15, 2013 at 10:06 PM

New York is screwed

Conservchik on July 15, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Despite the ruling class’ best efforts, there really is a difference between NYC, DC, Detroit, Chicago, and Calif***ya and the rest of this country. Come out to where people squint at you and look quizzical instead of trying to pass a law against you. Come out to where you get a shrug and a chuckle instead of a soda ban. Sit a spell with folks who have guns for snakes, coyotes, bears, looters, and other varmints. Visit the real America. Come to the Flyover States of Conservatism and stay a while…..we have cookies!

cthulhu on July 16, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Despite a strong showing by Republican politicians, nobody can hold their fire to Democrats ability to nurture sleazy lawyer-politicians. Good work!

NORUK on July 16, 2013 at 1:21 AM

It’s odd the NYC press fails to provide the “shock value” – within a headline: Weiner and Spitzer lead in DEMOCRATIC NYC primaries…

Of course being NYC, they have a good chance at winning their elections against any other party – but let’s remind “America” the party of rapist Clinton God and crack smoking Marion Barry, along with “the dumb wife did the books” crook Rangel are Liberal Democrats.

Odie1941 on July 16, 2013 at 3:34 PM