Durbin: Man, the House GOP really ignored a “winning formula” with that separated farm bill

posted at 5:21 pm on July 15, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

…Uhm, except that almost everything you just said, precisely outlines why food stamps’ and agriculture subsidies’ decades-long marriage of convenience, isn’t a “winning formula.”

When it comes to the farm bill, twice now, the Senate has passed the farm bill by strong bipartisan votes… Now, they’ve stripped out food stamps. I listened to the explanation from Congressman Kelly; he wonders why so many are receiving assistance, SNAP, and food stamps. It’s because their wages and incomes are so low. They’re working, but they can’t afford to feed their children. Elderly people on Social Security not receiving enough to really keep food in the house. That is a problem we should face squarely. It isn’t a matter of defrauding the American taxpayers; it’s a reflection on the weakness in our economy for a lot of hardworking families. … For fifty years, we have had a partnership of those living in the cities who are interested in nutritional programs, whether it’s food stamps or school lunch, and those who represented rural areas, which I did in Congress, that came together in a farm bill. It was a winning formula. Now, the House Republicans have given up on that. That’s a mistake. … Separating out these two issues is not in the best interest of our country.

Absolutely, yes — I completely and emphatically agree that the current weaknesses in our economy are problems that “we should face squarely.” So, let’s face them, by addressing the actual problems instead of continuing to throw more and more money we don’t really have at them, which is in and of itself one of the problems. Providing more and more food stamps is going to accomplish exactly nothing to fix the problem of why people need food stamps in the first place, which largely comes down to our top-heavy federal bureaucracy handing down too many taxes, regulations, and market interferences for our economy to effectively recover and enter a phase of robust growth and well-paying employment opportunities.

Democrats’ opposition to the House’s version of an agriculture-only farm bill last week was based purely upon the decoupling of agriculture policy and food stamps into two separate bills, as their union normally helps assure an urban-rural coalition that means both measures receive unscrutinized passage — the precise type of unquestioned and omnibus spending that isn’t going to do anything in the long run to improve our economy nor our fiscal sustainability.

Granted, I’m not exactly pleased with the GOP about the farm bill right now, either. Ahem.

Comments

What can you say, really…? ^ Stupidity on stilts.

jffree1 on July 15, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Democrats saying the republicans aren’t being bipartisan?

Sorry but until Obamacare is dead the dems have no grounds to make that argument. They passed that over our strong objections. Rather then arguing in good faith the democrats seem only interested in manipulating us. Which is fine. That then becomes the game.

Game on.

Karmashock on July 15, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Durbin’s nothing if not a leftist, political hack. Screw him.

HiJack on July 15, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Call me crazy….. But I think a farm bill should deal only with, well, let`s call it farming.

ThePrez on July 15, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Don’t your worry Dickie pooh. You still have your “seperate but equal heathcare, pension, immunity from tax and regulatory requirements, sexual harrassment/EPLI waiver and you can trade all the inside stock transactions.

You are ruling elite that would make any good regime proud.

acyl72 on July 15, 2013 at 5:38 PM

The winning formula was that most people have no idea that food stamps have been in the “farm bill” forever, so when anyone questioned the cost of the “farm bill”, they were immediately attacked for wanting to cut funding for the farmers.

Which, btw, would be a good thing.

BobMbx on July 15, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I’m glad they separated it. Now debate the ethanol crap on its merit like you should be doing the free stuff in the previous 50 farm bills.

Take the phone taxes that we pay and throw that at the EBT crowd instead of phones. The when everybody paying for a phone realizes 18% of the cost is in taxes maybe that will the attention it deserves as well.

DanMan on July 15, 2013 at 5:42 PM

But, wait, I thought that we had an ‘amazing’ economy. That’s what Chris Matthews told me…

Matthews: When Is Obama Going To Get Some Credit For This ‘Amazing’ Economy?

And, HE would know…

Resist We Much on July 15, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Durbin should be “better” now that Twinkies have made their return.

Happy Nomad on July 15, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Well, he did get at least one thing correct.

Bmore on July 15, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Well, he did get at least one thing correct.

Bmore on July 15, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Yes, it was a ‘winning formula’ for big government. Not that I expect government to get smaller regardless.

Fenris on July 15, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Anything Durbin champions or thinks is a “winning formula” is only a winning formula for statists. The opposite will always be a winning formula for Americans.

LtBarnwell02 on July 15, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Winning formula = log rolling.

Bart DePalma on July 15, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Durbin should be “better” now that Twinkies have made their return.

Happy Nomad on July 15, 2013 at 5:50 PM

The Ding Dongs never went away.

Fenris on July 15, 2013 at 6:02 PM

So I have to sacrifice more of my income for someone else?

These Democrats act like the money they throw around doesn’t first come from the pockets of a dwindling number of taxpayers.

Charlemagne on July 15, 2013 at 6:05 PM

I’m curious. Which stone is it engraved that Congress shall not separate farming subsidies from food stamps?

locomotivebreath1901 on July 15, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Durbin’s nothing if not a leftist, political hack. Screw him.

HiJack on July 15, 2013 at 5:33 PM

This fat-faced, frog-eyed, leftist dope has been my Senator for like 18 years or something. He is not the worst maggot in the Senator, but shares a five-way tie for the worst.

Jaibones on July 15, 2013 at 6:29 PM

If Dick Durbin is for something, I’m against it.
If Dick Durbin is against something, I’m for it.

I do not need to know what that something is.

jukin3 on July 15, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Yet another subject on which Durbin can’t resist the urge to prove that he is an ideologue with no respect for reality.

clear ether

eon

eon on July 15, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I wish I knew what the sugar industry has, after all these years, to earn the votes of all these politicians. It’s like:

McStrawberries: Welcome to the government!
Closeted Sidekick: Heh heh. Yeah. Welcome. Nice state you got there.
Freshman: Hi! I admire both of your long service in the Senate!

McStrawberries: Yeah, I have lots of stories and medals and injuries and stuff. Call my office and we’ll set up a lunch and I’ll match you up with somebody here in DC to shepherd you through our long established and unassailable process.
C.S.: The process of deal making. Heh, heh.
Freshman: I am here to represent the people in my state!

McStrawberries: You look like a young man with ambitions. I admire young men with ambitions.
C.S.: Yum. Me, too.
Freshman: I am here to represent my constituency. BesidesI am in the House of Representatives, not the Senate.

McStrawberries: You have earned the highest honor in this country, which is to deal with established politics in Washington DC.
C.S.: Make the deal, or else.
Freshman: What does sugar farming have to do with deal making in DC?

McStrawberries: As my friend says, it’s our way or something happens to that pretty state of yours.
C.S.: Full of children and elderly people, your pretty state.
Freshman: This is not about nutrition, this is veiled blackmail.

McStrawberries: Last warning. Be bipartisan on this issue.
C.S.: Or else.