The Mayor of San Diego would really, really like to apologize…

posted at 11:31 am on July 13, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

I first caught wind of this story by way of Jim Geraghty and the Morning Jolt, and on the surface it doesn’t look all that unusual. But it gets better. The Democrat Mayor of San Diego, (and former member of Congress) Bob Filner found himself in some seriously hot water this week. Some people, including his own long time allies, began coming forward and claiming that he’s been acting “inappropriately” with some women. Make that… “numerous” women.

Three high-profile San Diegans described sexual harassment allegations involving “numerous” female employees of Mayor Bob Filner who were subjected to “unfortunate and reprehensible circumstances” but refused to reveal victim identities or details of the alleged behavior.

On Thursday at 10 a.m., former San Diego City Councilwoman Donna Frye and lawyers Cory Briggs and Marco Gonzalez stood together and explained why they recently demanded that Filner resign…

“There is no doubt in my mind that what I am telling you and standing here talking about today. There is no doubt in my mind that these allegations are true,” Frye said.

As I hinted at above, this probably doesn’t sound like all that newsworthy of an item. A prominent Democrat is found to be unable to control himself around women, gets caught, a scandal ensues, blah, blah blah. Right? So he resigns in disgrace and we all move on with our lives. But wait! Not so fast.

San Diego Mayor Bob Filner released a statement on Thursday afternoon apologizing to city residents, hours after he was accused of sexually harassing numerous female employees.

“I begin today by apologizing to you. I have diminished the office to which you elected me. I have reached into my heart and soul and realize I must and will change my behavior,” he said in the DVD.

Yes, yes, we get it. You’re very sorry. And….?

“I am also humbled to admit that I need help. I have begun to work with professionals to make changes in my behavior and approach. In addition, my staff and I will participate in sexual harassment training provided by the city.

Seeking professional help. Check. Now, about that resignation…?

“In the next few days, I will be reaching out to those who now work to those who now work in the Mayor’s Office or have previously worked for me – both men and women – to personally apologize for my behavior.”

I only ask that you give me an opportunity to prove I am capable of change, so that the vision I have for our city’s future can be realized,” he said.

Wait a minute. What? You’re not leaving?

I get that we’re now living in the age of apologies, second chances and forgiveness. That’s been obvious for a little while now, but there’s something missing from the equation here. When a certain GOP Governor (because this happens in both parties) spent a bit too much time hiking the Appalachian Trail, he had the good sense to step off the stage for a while before asking for another turn at bat. Client Number Nine headed out for better than half a decade and a couple of failed TV shows before deciding that he’d like to be Comptroller of the Big Apple. Even Anthony Weiner had enough sense to go to ground for a while.

Not for nothing here, Bob, (can we call you Bob?) but aren’t you skipping a couple of steps? You come out and confess to the deeds, ask for forgiveness, and move on to your next day at the office all in the same speech? Are the people of San Diego actually going to let you get away with this?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

You’d have credibility if you’d add your Ds, hypocrite.

Schadenfreude on July 13, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I went with ones that were just in the last few years who didn’t resign. Of course, going back you could add in Clinton, Barney Franks, all the Kennedy’s. But if Jazz is saying that this is some new trend, recent history shows that this refusal to resign is not all that strange.

AngusMc on July 13, 2013 at 6:59 PM

AngusMc on July 13, 2013 at 6:59 PM

…all Dems…the Rubes resign!

KOOLAID2 on July 13, 2013 at 8:05 PM

I truly had no idea and I live in La Jolla. San Diego, we’ll visit but we’ll not drop one dime in your fair city for a while and certainly not while you’ve selected a Democrat pervert as your city’s leader. In the recent past in one evening at the Gas-Lamp district it wouldn’t surprise me to spend $5000 – $8000 via convention center client entertainment. No more……

Tangerinesong on July 13, 2013 at 6:40 PM

La Jolla Is in the city of San Diego. Filthy Filner is your mayor too..

oceansidecon on July 13, 2013 at 8:35 PM

The last good sex scandal out of San Diego was (former) Representative Jim Bates, who was voted out of office after he was accused of harassing a number of female subordinates; that he bounced over 200 checks in the House bank (you *do* remember that scandal, don’t you?) was only icing on the cake. Unfortunately, the fellow who beat him was Duke Cunningham, who turned out to have a few flaws of his own.

Filner is well-loved by the lefties because of his rather extreme positions (he was my representative when I lived in Sand Dog); he’ll tough it out and eventually get reelected. Just because it has been quite a while since there was a *sex* scandal in San Diego does not mean that there haven’t been plenty of other scandals; nothing really changes except for the specific charges. Incumbents who don’t tearfully resign manage to get re-elected even if they have committed egregious misdeeds.

Horologium on July 13, 2013 at 8:37 PM

I live in the San Diego area — not the city. Filner is an obnoxious bully who needs to go. He is a disgrace. Hopefully he’s going to get indicted for a 100K shakedown that has come to light and is being investigated by the FBI.

CharlieCA on July 13, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Well, see — as leftists have repeatedly told us, they never PROFESSED to have any ACTUAL morals, so OF COURSE it’s not a problem when they do immoral things! Why should they be punished for doing things that are obviously and clearly wrong? Only people who make a point of saying those things are wrong can be held accountable, because this makes them “hypocrites”, see? And hypocrisy is the REAL problem. Far better to not even bother trying to live a higher standard than to try and fail, amiright?

CanofSand on July 13, 2013 at 11:19 PM

And that’s why I call them degenerate Liberals. “All is forgiven once I apologize” From the lover of cigars & blue dresses, to Weiner & now Spitzer. It never ends because they know they can get away with it. To add further insult, instead of being run out of town, they’re in the running.

RdLake on July 14, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Filner: I’m weally sowwy I hawassed those women.

And I’m weally, weally, WEALLY sowwy I got caught.

So could one of you lovely ladies give me a back massage?

Steve Z on July 15, 2013 at 11:31 PM