Texas Senate passes late-term abortion ban

posted at 10:01 am on July 13, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

The Texas legislature has finally passed a late-term abortion ban — as it would have last month, had a mob not taken over the upper chamber’s galleries and disrupted the legislative process.  The final vote, 19-11, is almost identical to the vote taken at the end of the previous session to pass the bill to Gov. Rick Perry.  This time, Perry will get an opportunity to sign it:

After a day filled with pro-abortion threats, pro-life people hiding in secure areas of the capitol fearing for their safetyjars of feces and urine and protestors disrupting the Senate proceedings, democracy finally prevailed.

Members of the state Senate approved the bill to ban late-term abortions on a 19-11 margin on second reading. The chamber then approved the bill in third reading by the same 19-11 vote.

The bill would ban abortions after 20 weeks and hold abortion clinics accountable by making them meet basic health and safety standards that have closed facilities in other states that are unable to comply. The bill also requires all abortion clinics to meet the same health and safety regulations as an ambulatory surgical center, requires a doctor providing abortions to secure admitting privileges at a nearby hospital, and lastly, requires a doctor to personally administer the abortion-inducing drugs to the patient.

There’s no question that Perry will sign this bill ASAP.  He’s been champing at the bit to push this into legislation, in part energized by the attempt at mob rule by pro-abortion activists, and in part because 62% of Texans support the bill.  In April, a similar number nationwide said they would support a similar ban if science showed that children can feel pain at 20 weeks’ gestation.

In this case, the extreme position has always been carte blanche for abortions on demand. Thanks to the tactics of the pro-abortion forces in this case, that extreme has been clear from the beginning.  Whether it’s the attempt to hijack the legislature while attempting to pass a popular bill, chanting “Hail Satan” at pro-life demonstrators, or bringing urine, feces, and tampons (and bricks) to throw at elected officials, the opposition to this bill has managed to make themselves look like absolute nutcases at every turn, but their extremism is worse than it looks.  They’re clearly uninterested in democracy; they want to intimidate the majority with violence and disgusting tactics from the minority.  They’re proto-dictators with bad taste, at the least.

Don’t think that this experience won’t stick in the minds of Americans, either. The pro-abortion activist front may have set back their own cause by decades.  That’s good news for unborn children — and also for people who love representative democracy.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

“Women across North Carolina are learning the hard way that Pat McCrory would have said just about anything to become governor,” Senate Democratic Leader Martin Nesbitt of Asheville

I guess McCrory isn’t listening to the liar.

CW on July 13, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Congrats another dubious “victory” for the American religious Taliban. You dummies realize that if you can force government interference with an individuals medical choice the government can be forced to interfere with yours you inbred religious morons. All you fat hillbilly religious nutters are in big trouble, in most of your cases obese trouble, now. The government will eventually make it illegal to help fatties. Man I hope this happens it will be like a retroactive abortion for lazy gluttons. Hey wait! isn’t gluttony proscribe in that awfully written instruction manual called the bible? which is only good for when I run out of toilet paper. so you fat hypocrites can’t even get that right you single IQ digit products of generational incest.

Your Mamma loves me on July 13, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Sleeper Cell Activation duly noted. Hot Air Lib, ‘zat you?

If you had more that two functioning brain cells, I would remind you of the following facts:

1. There are almost as many “fatties” in the blue state of Michigan as there are in Mississippi.

2. Your Democrats lost the 2012 college graduate vote, and only won by vastly increasing your share of the high school dropout vote from 70% in 2008 to 80%+.

3. Your rampant stereotyping proves that you’re nothing but a Low-IQ Democrat bigot.

4. Z-

Del Dolemonte on July 13, 2013 at 4:37 PM

some women honestly believe the GOP is trying to change the law of the land.

Redford on July 13, 2013 at 4:19 PM

And some women deny science.

CW on July 13, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Good luck with that strategy, by the way. This libertarian won’t vote for the ‘lesser of two evils’ even if it means Hillary Clinton becomes POTUS. Sure, I cast my vote against Obama with the last dog that you guys nominated, but it will be the last if you continue to believe that you can’t beat them so you might as well join them.

Resist We Much on July 13, 2013 at 4:32 PM

^^^
This

workingclass artist on July 13, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Your Mamma loves me on July 13, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Actually, the highest rates of obesity are found among confirmed Obama voters.

The report notes higher obesity rates nationally among low-income adults. “More than 33% of adults who earn less than $15,000 per year were obese, compared with 24.6% of those who earn at least $50,000 per year,” the authors state.

And there’s more:

Current data from the CDC indicate that 36 percent of adults in the United States overall are characterized as obese. And ethnic minorities have the highest rates of obesity. Half of African-Americans are considered obese while only 34 percent of Caucasian Americans are considered obese.

While there are differences in access to high quality foods and safe spaces for physical activity, these differences persist even when levels of income and education are equal. African-American men who have a college degree are more likely to be obese than African-American men without a high school education. African-American women, the subgroup with the highest obesity rates, also have higher rates of obesity if they have higher income and education levels.

So go ahead and punish fat people. Indeed, I would encourage you to pass proscriptive laws against fat people. Go ahead and state, as you do, that all fat people are lazy and worthless and inbred.

northdallasthirty on July 13, 2013 at 4:57 PM

some women honestly believe the GOP is trying to change the law of the land.

Redford on July 13, 2013 at 4:19 PM

And some women deny science.

CW on July 13, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Women who believe that look to Cosmo for politics, Kardashians for fashion and Oprah for Spiritual guidance.

workingclass artist on July 13, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Roe vs Wade is not going away. However, some women honestly believe the GOP is trying to change the law of the land. If the GOP wants a future, going down the social religious right is a certain loser.

Redford on July 13, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Nope.

The GOP has no need to pander to baby-killing imbeciles like those women.

Moreover, Redford, we are very well aware that you and your fellow brochoice losers are desperate to keep abortion because you’re terrified that having to behave responsibly means less sex for you.

Women who support abortion are Gosnell babykillers who like to snip the spinal cords of screaming children. They are sick, deluded animals, and they should be called that.

northdallasthirty on July 13, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Redford would side with genocide and slavery if it meant more votes. Redford look inside yourself. You’re scary.

CW on July 13, 2013 at 5:13 PM

rogerb on July 13, 2013 at 3:44 PM

on the one hand you stated factual? numbers from an institute that was born and bred from PPFA.

I do that purposely because I find that’s the most effective technique. It renders any “FAUX NEWS, RACIST SEXIST!” kneejerk reactions impotent when you use a pro-abortion source.

This is where I go for demographics, but I don’t think I will find demo’s for abortions versus fertile women form there.

I figured I’d use the official Texas Lottery site as the source for Texas Lottery data, but that’s just me.

Apologies are offered for the missive.

Hammie on July 13, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Accepted and it’s no big deal. I’d seen you around and knew what had happened, so I was trying to keep it fairly light. Even this stuff:

Your math is pretty bad (public school and a college degree no-doubt).

Hammie on July 13, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Seriously, though, there might be some folks who aren’t as good at math as us, so it would probably help them if you’d post how we got to the 230,000.

rogerb on July 13, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Redford on July 13, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I would be against abortion, even if I were an atheist. One doesn’t have to be religious to be against the killing of the unborn.

20 weeks is the moment when the fetus starts to feel pain.

I hope that Roe v Wade will have the same fate as Buck v Bell. It certainly looks that way.

Gelsomina on July 13, 2013 at 5:38 PM

rogerb on July 13, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I was told there would be no math.

Cindy Munford on July 13, 2013 at 5:44 PM

20 weeks is the moment when the fetus starts to feel pain.

Gelsomina on July 13, 2013 at 5:38 PM

The baby feels pain before that. At 20 weeks everything is in place and there should be no debate.

Pain receptors (nociceptors) are present throughout the unborn child’s entire body by no later than 20 weeks after fertilization and nerves link these receptors to the brain’s thalamus and subcortical plate by no later than 20 weeks.

Many more links here: http://www.doctorsonfetalpain.com/

INC on July 13, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Your Mamma loves me on July 13, 2013 at 2:55 PM

But I’m only 5’9 and 135 pounds. Do you have any hysterical or generational incestuous proscriptions for me and my kind? I’d hate to be left out on any of your sane, rational, and irenic thoughts.

anuts on July 13, 2013 at 5:52 PM

rogerb on July 13, 2013 at 5:36 PM

:-) Just a little twist, eh?

Oldnuke on July 13, 2013 at 5:54 PM

One state out of 50 that are willing to tell the degenerate Liberals “Get the hell out of here” Every good thing starts with one movement.

RdLake on July 13, 2013 at 5:58 PM

INC on July 13, 2013 at 5:50 PM

As far as I’m concerned pain is not the issue. The baby is. Abortion is killing a baby no matter how old it is. The pain is a only a side effect of the abortion. It’s not about women’s rights, women’s health or any other attempt to sidetrack and dehumanize the issue. Abortion is killing a baby plain and simple black and white no gray areas. The fact that pro abortionists must hide what they support behind shadowy terms should tell us all we need to know.

Oldnuke on July 13, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Oldnuke on July 13, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I agree. You must not know me well or you would know how adamantly pro-life I am. I was merely adding that info regarding pain.

Abortion is an evil barbaric practice, accompanied by its own barbarian mob last night.

INC on July 13, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Your Mamma loves me on July 13, 2013 at 2:55 PM

BWAHAHAHAhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop it clown! Yer killin’ us. Too much laughter at idiotic fail.

Perfect example of some third-grader tossing out idiotic nonsense that’s supposed to be ‘hurtful’…but ends up making the clown look ridiculous.

Rave on pu$$y! You’re thee best joke of the day.

(Can you believe it? They probably let that clown vote…if it can find its way out of its mommy’s basement.)

Solaratov on July 13, 2013 at 6:32 PM

INC on July 13, 2013 at 6:26 PM

No, I’m well aware of your stance on abortion. I was merely adding my two cents worth to the conversation. Didn’t mean to imply anything concerning your ideas on the matter.

Oldnuke on July 13, 2013 at 6:32 PM

I had not idea that I was part of the “American Religious Taliban”.

Hell – I couldn’t find my way into a church if you pointed me at the steeple and slapped me on the ass – plus I don’t like those places. Introspection scares me.

What I do like – is the preservation of human life instead of the termination of it.

DAMN this could explain all those black hooded dresses my wife has been bringing home lately. She says that its so she can garden while not being bothered by the mosquitos but hell if I’m not part of the American Religious Taliban I guess :P

Defenestratus on July 13, 2013 at 6:39 PM

OT …principles in Zimmerman trial assembling in courtroom.
Jury asked for clarification of manslaughter instructions.

pambi on July 13, 2013 at 6:45 PM

A shout out to Your Mamma loves me attention whore.

davidk on July 13, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Your Mamma loves me on July 13, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Just shut up and g.o a.w.a.y.

And, NO, I don’t love you.

There’s nothing lovable about you.

avagreen on July 13, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Oldnuke on July 13, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Agree! 1000+

The nutters that are apeshyte propagandists, crazy-to-murder babies don’t get this.

(frontal lobe damage, I’m guessing.)

avagreen on July 13, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Oldnuke on July 13, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Thanks for clarifying!

INC on July 13, 2013 at 7:07 PM

:-) Just a little twist, eh?

Oldnuke on July 13, 2013 at 5:54 PM

“All in good fun” is often hard to see in internet posts, but that’s really all it was.

I may post the math soon. It’s pretty interesting, and we’ve come this far. Some folks would probably like to see it without actually having to do it. Plus I’m one of those weirdos who likes to try and work things out in his head, and it’s interesting to find comparisons between populations like abortion offices:lottery offices.

And probably a lot of cross-clientele, frankly.

rogerb on July 13, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Some things that bother me:

- I hate when people use “health care” and “abortion” in the same sentence. Abortion isn’t health care, it’s elective surgery. Insurance shouldn’t even cover it!

- Our 2nd Amendment states “shall not infringe.” Somehow this means the Left can create thousands of laws to regulate and otherwise infringe on the right to own a gun. No mention of abortion in our founding document, but God forbid anyone tries to regulate it in even the most basic ways.

BierManVA on July 13, 2013 at 7:26 PM

What ‘Mamma’ proves is that pro-aborts only care about the ‘legal’ leg of the stool. ‘Safe’ and ‘rare’ are just lies that they spout.

Resist We Much on July 13, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Gelsomina on July 13, 2013 at 5:38 PM

This ^^

melle1228 on July 13, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Resist We Much on July 13, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Liberals are nothing more than the lowest of human debris that can be found.

Look at who they champion:

Soviet Communists
Chinese Communists
Fidel Castro
Daniel Noriega
Every REAL criminal
Homeless drunks
Homeless drug users
Drug users in general
Street thugs

And the list goes on. If it’s bad for America and decent citizens, liberals will be all for it.

Liam on July 13, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Don’t forget to add Satan to that list of those libs champion, they were hailing the devil himself in Austin. That should endear more Texans to their cause of death.

Ellis on July 13, 2013 at 7:46 PM

BierManVA on July 13, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Funny you should mention that, and you’re exactly right. And they see no problem with the inconsistency between “rights”.

From yesterday:

Out of curiosity, do you object to states having the ability to pass firearm-specific legislation within their borders?

rogerb on July 10, 2013 at 6:14 AM

As a general matter, no. So long as they do not violate the Second Amendment.

righty45 on July 11, 2013 at 11:42 PM

1) You are not opposed to individual states enacting local legislation to limit, while not violating, Constitutional rights “as a general matter”, and

2) you oppose individual states enacting legislation to limit, while not violating, Constitutional rights you specifically support.

Your positions contradict themselves at best, and actively subvert the sanctity of “rights” at worst.

Is that direct enough?

rogerb on July 12, 2013 at 4:16 PM

rogerb on July 13, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Full movie: Agenda: Grinding Down America

“A film that finally puts the pieces of the puzzle together. If you’ve wondered why America has been falling apart from within, you will love AGENDA.”

(Via GP) Filmmaker and former Idaho state rep Curtis Bowers describes what he discovered after infiltrating the communist party in the 90s and how it’s connected to what’s happening in America today.

“I think the evil that is capable of happening in the next four years is not a pretty picture,” … “It’s very sad to think that our country voted — after what he had already done ahead of time — to have another four years of that, but it shows how far we’ve really gone.”

- Curtis Bowers

Resist We Much on July 13, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Ellis on July 13, 2013 at 7:46 PM

From the dedication page of Saul Alinsky’s Rules for Radicals.

“Lest we forget at least an over-the-shoulder acknowledgment to the very first radical: from all our legends, mythology, and history… the first radical known to man who rebelled against the establishment and did it so effectively that he at least won his own kingdom — Lucifer.”

Oldnuke on July 13, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Mr.Morrisey I applaud your coverage and I think your last paragraph sums it up.
Being intimately involved in the abortion issue I think it is about time that sex education in school educate women on what is happening inside their own bodies and what exactly the procedure rids them of.

I am certain these girls do not know, and if they did they would choose adoption or manning up.

seesalrun2 on July 13, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Your Mamma loves me on July 13, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Rank odor of desperation.

So nyahh nyahh to you, too. Thppppppbbbbbbbbb ….. (raspberry).

listens2glenn on July 14, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Your Mamma loves me on July 13, 2013 at 2:55 PM

SO you think it’s only the religious who are against killing a viable fetus?

That’s a baby that has a chance to live if delivered… viable. Really walking the line close to murder.

Why is murder illegal anyhow?
“Thou shalt not kill”? That’s just religion.

Murder, rape, arson, theft… those are religious laws that we should abolish, right? Why not?

If morality shouldn’t have any basis in laws; why can’t I kill my neighbor, rape his wife, and steal his stuff? It’s just “religion” that says this is bad… good and bad aren’t clearly defined and vary… so that should be legal… right?

See? This is how you pose a snarky and cynical argument without all the bigotry and stereotyped insults that you’ve relied on.

Please explain why bigotry and stereotyping people is good when you do it… Is bigotry and stereotyping always good, or just when you do it does it become good?

gekkobear on July 15, 2013 at 12:06 AM

OUCH! OOOH! EEK! OH LAWDY! I’SE BE SORRY SUH! OW! OH! AH NOTS SAY NUTTIN’ AGAINST THE BIBLE OR PEOPLE WHO BES MAH BETTAHS! YOW! AIIIE!

Your Mamma loves me on July 13, 2013 at 2:55 PM

- trolltard getting a well-deserved 40 lashes.

MelonCollie on July 15, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Here is what to do in the next state that wants to change state regulations regarding the abortion industry. Regulate all medical procedures, and at the same time do not exempt abortion. Much of what the fracas is about here is just bringing the abortion industry up to the medical standards that other clinics are expected to adhere to.

That cannot be grounds for criticism of republicans. Abortions are allowed to continue as if it was the 1970′s. You wouldn’t drive a car from the 1970′s why would you let medicine remain in the dark ages.

So, it doesn’t have to be. Regulate all clinics the same. And the number of months of pregnancy varies from state to state. Change it one month at a time. That is how progressives sneak in their changes. Change it by weeks this week, and a month next week, and chip chip chip away and tell the media it is “hardly any change at all.”

And after this, I hope Perry will stop dreaming about being president, and call another session to codify laws for Texas that uphold traditional American values. They are unwritten, and I know y’all feel free in Texas, but you are ripe for the hijacking unless you put your ideas into law in your constitution.

Marriage defined for procreation of children…opposite gender parents and a reference to nature and bring other parent child laws to their most natural least convoluted state. Define birth parents, step parents, define what gender is by chromosomes; declare a right to keep the proceeds of a health savings account contrary to Obama Care, for your entire life. Make it stand alongside Obamacare, we will find out if Rick Perry is in the pocket of the Health insurers that way. Simplify and codify Texas law. Perry’s job is NOT done, let him show his creds implementing conservatism as law in Texas.

Fleuries on July 16, 2013 at 9:50 AM