Chris Hayes summarizes GOP immigration statement: “We hate you, we hate your ass face”

posted at 11:21 am on July 12, 2013 by Allahpundit

I missed this yesterday morning at the Examiner but that’s okay. The vibe’s better suited to a Friday anyway.

I’m reluctant to ride him too much for this because honesty in media is welcome and all he’s doing here is being honest about his network’s view of the GOP. Why pretend to respectfully air the opposition’s viewpoint when you don’t respect it? Partisan media’s supposed to be partisan. Thing is, Hayes himself wasn’t supposed to be this partisan. He’s an out-and-proud lefty, but the hallmark of his old show “Up” was to invite an ideological spread of guests and have as intelligent (and hyper) a conversation about a topic as the cable format will allow. Putting him in at 8 p.m. opposite O’Reilly was supposed to be MSNBC’s cerebral alternative to FNC. Fast-forward three months and here’s one-half of the network’s “intellectual” primetime punch babbling about ass-faces, just a week after he did an interview with Wendy Davis that was so fawning that it would have embarrassed Chris Farley. The question: Is this just Hayes letting his liberal id out to play, or is it a deliberate strategy to goose his disappointing ratings by pandering to his audience as stupidly as he can? Before you choose door number one, here’s a choice quote he gave to Salon a few weeks ago:

How is it different?

In every way. It’s a totally different game. The biggest difference is the competition for those eyeballs is just intense. I think about, there’s someone out there who’s worked all day, helped their kid with their homework, grabbed a beer, sat down at the TV, and now they’re going to watch me. And they could watch “The Voice,” and I would not begrudge them wanting to do that! I would completely understand. So you have to be thinking in terms of what emotional effect are you producing in the viewer. What’s that thing you’re giving them that’s going to make that choice? In Saturday, Sunday morning, there wasn’t that same choice. There’s not a lot of other stuff on, people are in a different mind-set, it’s early in the morning and it’s kind of uncluttered. It’s more laid-back. You put the show on and you make coffee and you walk around the house and you – 8 p.m. is a whole other set of constraints.

You have to think about ratings more? MSNBC has had its challenges there lately.

Yeah, ratings are the measurement of what you have to think about, which is producing entertaining television. The ratings – I try not to think about the numbers, because that data can be very overwhelming or misleading. The thing I do think about is “are we producing a good show?” And the word “show” is key. You have to be a showman. It is a show. You need to put on a show every night. Which means, like, step right up, ladies and gentlemen, let me entertain you.

You have to be a showman, which means … more “ass-face” rhetoric, I guess. (His pal Rachel’s version of cerebral showmanship involved making “teabagging” jokes to goof on tea partiers.) This isn’t the first time Hayes’s conspicuous attempts to up the excitement factor on his show have raised an eyebrow, either. The Daily Howler noticed lame hyperbole creeping into his segments last month; the Free Beacon had fun with it just a few days ago in a memorable highlight reel about how “amazing” everything on the show is. One of the theories for why MSNBC’s ratings are tanking is that the Hayes/Maddow combo is “too erudite, too sophisticated and too earnest to hook a wide swath of viewers.” Like Adlai Stevenson, they’re too darned smart for a stupid mass audience. Enter “ass-face.” That’s a lot more benign than the sort of demagoguery you’ll see on, say, Martin Bashir’s show, but then no one ever called Bashir cerebral.

But maybe I’ve got him wrong and this really is purely ideological. Read the GOP statement when it appears onscreen and note where he trails off. It’s not on some fine point of border funding or the mechanics of citizenship; it’s right before the perfectly astute argument that if Obama refuses to enforce the law as written on ObamaCare by upholding the employer mandate, there’s no earthly reason to trust that he’ll enforce the border provisions in a new immigration bill either. The left has no answer to that, so Hayes just washes it away with a goof. So there’s your exit question, I guess: Is this liberal hackery, or a sort of cable-driven self-schmuckification designed to “entertain” viewers? You make the call.

Update: A friend reminds me that the “ass face” bit is a joke from “Waiting for Guffman.” Right. And? “Teabagging” is a joke too. If he had played the “Looney Tunes” theme song in lieu of reading the statement, that also would have been a joke. The point here isn’t that “ass face” is somehow outre or a Hayes original, it’s that he’s wholly dismissive to the point of not even reading a fair point made by the opposition. So much for being cerebral.

Comments

I have it on good authority that both viewers of the program were shocked.

tommyboy on July 12, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I ask again, Who is Chris Hayes, and why would anyone care?

kirkill on July 12, 2013 at 11:23 AM

and to think ratings are nonexistent.

rob verdi on July 12, 2013 at 11:24 AM

MSNBC better get their ratings up soon. They will need the cash to pay off the Zimmerman lawsuit which could go to a couple hundered million.

stephana on July 12, 2013 at 11:25 AM

These people have a maturity level beneath your average 10 year-old. Seriously.

DRayRaven on July 12, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

How about MSNBC = ‘trash talk’ for ‘trash viewers’.

GarandFan on July 12, 2013 at 11:26 AM

When did Rachel change his name to Chris?

NotCoach on July 12, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Umm,…Yes?

HotAirian on July 12, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Wow, I’m shocked that Chris Hayes would intentionally mischaracterize the GOP position. That’s never happened before, he’s usually so non-judgmental and fair in his assessments.
Such an unexpected reaction.

smfic on July 12, 2013 at 11:31 AM

The Left follows Alinsky’s playbook to the letter. Allah, when in doubt, always consult the rulebook.

Alinsky advised the radical activist to avoid the temptation to concede that his opponent was not “100 per cent devil,” or that he possessed certain admirable qualities such as being “a good churchgoing man, generous to charity, and a good husband.” Such qualifying remarks, Alinsky said, “dilute the impact of the attack” and amount to sheer “political idiocy.

faraway on July 12, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Look at the little bantam rooster crow! It is to laugh.

Christien on July 12, 2013 at 11:32 AM

MSNBC has long given up on trying to capture an actual quote of anybody saying anything racist, bigoted, homophobic, misogynistic or openly hateful.
Now they just prefer to translate somebody’s words into what they wish they had said and then criticize the event that never actually occurred.

NeoKong on July 12, 2013 at 11:33 AM

The Left says this stuff all day, every day.

And somehow the GOP corpse wets its bed every night.

faraway on July 12, 2013 at 11:33 AM

As I wrote yesterday on the MSNBC thread, it’s just pseudo-intellectual self-righteousness.

I knew tons of people just like the MSNBC lineup in college. They were usually majoring in philosophy, education, social work or something called “______ Studies” a/k/a some type of grievance mongering. They sat around talking using the latest buzz words, usually dressed in some “rebellious” look, just like everyone else in their group, attacking anyone who didn’t agree with their every thought, action and opinion, regardless of how erroneous their facts.

deepdiver on July 12, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I ask again, Who is Chris Hayes, and why would anyone care?

kirkill on July 12, 2013 at 11:23 AM

He’s an aspiring Keith Olbermann. And nobody should care.

The Rogue Tomato on July 12, 2013 at 11:34 AM

These people have a maturity level beneath your average 10 year-old. Seriously.

DRayRaven on July 12, 2013 at 11:25 AM

True of most leftist true believers. Perpetual children in adult bodies. Intellectually stunted for life.

hawkeye54 on July 12, 2013 at 11:35 AM

A seaside Punch & Judy show gets a better class of viewers.

OldEnglish on July 12, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Whores, sluts, tramps and leopards — the spots don’t change.

platypus on July 12, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I know I may get some flak for this, but Allah’s analysis is right on point: Chris Hayes does, I believe, generally do a nice job of bringing in opposing viewpoints (and not of the “David Brooks” ilk) to the conversations on his show. I’ve found him to be refreshing in this sense and also in the manner in which he engages with people putting forth a right of center viewpoint on his program. He’s animated, respectful and generally positive in his delivery. This sort of thing – described above – is disappointing. I think he’s 1000 times better than Rachel Maddow who, for some reason, people on the left seem to think is the most intelligent person on the planet… she’s so bad, I’m embarassed for her on the rare occasion I watch her.

dpduq on July 12, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Have you noticed Hayes’ “makeover” ? We were talking about it elsewhere and someone said they could ” give him a buzz cut and put him in fatigues and boots and he’d still look like Rachel Maddow’s little sister.”

Marcus on July 12, 2013 at 11:38 AM

When did Rachel change his name to Chris?

NotCoach on July 12, 2013 at 11:28 AM

That was my first thought.

bigmacdaddy on July 12, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I ask again, Who is Chris Hayes,

Rachel Maddow’s little sister. Any more questions?

MNHawk on July 12, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Throw up a bit in my mouth every time I see those silly glasses she’s wearing.

Oh, Chris is a man?

Del Dolemonte on July 12, 2013 at 11:39 AM

He forgot to add, “Big fat poopy heads!”

Remember — Hayes likely went to college for this.

Liam on July 12, 2013 at 11:40 AM

It’s extremely amusing when these lefties project their views onto everyone they disagree with. They think this technique of saying something racist or otherwise derogatory is an acceptable way to get their own racist/derogatory views into the discussion. Kind of like their stupid little tactic that always starts out -’Some people say…blah, blah, blah.

Dimwits

Sporty1946 on July 12, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Only crazies will tune into crazies. That’s the reason MSNBC’s ratings are perpetually low. There aren’t enough lunatics in the country to support them. I don’t watch them but I bet that their advertisers sell drugs for psychotic patients and adult diapers.

cajunpatriot on July 12, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Hayes? I never heard of this guy. I see I haven’t missed much.

Turtle317 on July 12, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Maddow’s Soc-real sock puppet.

derit on July 12, 2013 at 11:41 AM

The Left can’t counter the logic and arguments of conservatives so they resort to childish Alinskyite tactics to ridicule and mock their opponents.

I’ve seen the same tactics in teen flicks when the geek outsmarts the dumb jock. The jock always resorts to personal attacks on the geek to embarrass and discredit.

Same thing going on with the Left. They’re pathetic.

Charlemagne on July 12, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Oh, Chris is a man?

Del Dolemonte on July 12, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Not really. Rachel Madcow before makeup.

Sporty1946 on July 12, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Hot Air continues its downward spiral by publishing this sort of drek

ignatzk on July 12, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Maybe MSNBC can look to its deep bench of…Melitha Perry Harrith, Ed Schultz, Alex Wagner, and Martin Bashir.

BuckeyeSam on July 12, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I’ll go with liberal hackery, I guess, although the words ‘hackery’ and ‘hack’ connote a cynical lack of sincerity, which wouldn’t be entirely accurate since liberals like Hayes really, really mean it when they call us bigots and haters and the like.

By the way, I never mind the word ‘hater’ when it’s directed at me. Some things, people, and ideas are worthy of hatred and should be hated and there’s something wrong with us if we don’t hate them: injustice, hyocrisy, dishonesty, greed, stupidity, communists, neo-nazis, the Kardashians, those inane COEXIST bumper stickers on hipster compacts…you get the idea.

troyriser_gopftw on July 12, 2013 at 11:42 AM

This is NBC News.

Think about that.

faraway on July 12, 2013 at 11:43 AM

MSNBC: a half step above your Public Access channel.

And perhaps 3 or 4 viewers more.

Good job, Comcast!

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on July 12, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Hayes is an absolute fool of little or no intellect who could only exist on the likes of MSNBC.

rplat on July 12, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I’d rather have an arse face than be a butt head

John the Libertarian on July 12, 2013 at 11:44 AM

abobo on July 12, 2013 at 11:45 AM

This counts on the left as, like, so, you know, I mean, intellectual-istic-al, and all like that.

kunegetikos on July 12, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Hot Air continues its downward spiral by publishing this sort of drek

ignatzk on July 12, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Dude, you lost me. Pointing out de-humanizing tactics by the Left is a problem?

faraway on July 12, 2013 at 11:46 AM

These people have a maturity level beneath your average 10 year-old. Seriously.

DRayRaven on July 12, 2013 at 11:25 AM

hawkeye54 on July 12, 2013 at 11:35 AM

True, that. Last night I was reading a far Leftist law blog about the Zimmerman trial. The Seattle lawyer who “wrote” it is definitely from another world; in his view the sleaze prosecutor is handily winning the case. He even compared the dude to Shakespeare at one point!

Enjoy!

Del Dolemonte on July 12, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Hot Air continues its downward spiral by publishing this sort of drek

ignatzk on July 12, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Thanks so much for sharing that.

Del Dolemonte on July 12, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Clearly this is the new heir to Edward R. Murrow.

I don’t see how none of you can see this.

dissent555 on July 12, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I’m sure all 37 viewers got a chuckle out of it.

portlandon on July 12, 2013 at 11:49 AM

There’s only one way to fight this and it’s a boycott. Refuse to answer questions from NBC reporters, refuse to invite them to press conferences, do NOT send anyone on their shows. Each time an issue comes up, make it a point to say that, if you want to hear the Republican side you can go to any network except NBC.

If NBC isn’t concerned about their integrity, why should the Republicans be. Call them on it. I would guess it would be over in a month and heads would roll, but I could be wrong.

bflat879 on July 12, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Actually he has it partly right. I hate his ass face.

SurferDoc on July 12, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Dimwits

Sporty1946 on July 12, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I get a kick when liberals say, “Everyone knows…”

Liam on July 12, 2013 at 11:52 AM

These are not orthogonal to each other.

nukemhill on July 12, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Did it make this statement before, or after
Madd gave it the High hard one??

ToddPA on July 12, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I’m almost positive that Hayes’ face smells like ass.

Pork-Chop on July 12, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I motion that “Assface” is hereby his official name. People should shout out greetings to his new name whenever he’s out and about, a la “Assman” Kramer from Seinfeld.

Can I get a second?

Christien on July 12, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I’m not going to watch the video. I’m engrossed in closing arguments of State vs. Zimmerman.

Did he really say “ass-face”?

Really?

Is this what it has finally come to?

JohnGalt23 on July 12, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Love to see Triumph the Comic Insult Dog ambush Chris Hayes…

“You gotta nice A$$ face… FOR ME TO POOP ON!!!”

Marcola on July 12, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Did it make this statement before, or after
Madd gave it the High hard one??

ToddPA on July 12, 2013 at 11:52 AM

hayes is a front end virgin.

VegasRick on July 12, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I’m reluctant to ride him too much

No, no, go right ahead! Ride me. Ride me!!

-Chrissy

Ted Torgerson on July 12, 2013 at 11:58 AM

It’s like those optical delusion images. Look at him, and you see a face-like ass. Look again, and you see an ass-like face.

Anyway you slice it, it comes up Assface (and peanuts).

Christien on July 12, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Who’s Chris Hayes? Seriously. Is he someone whose statements I should be concerned about?

Cleombrotus on July 12, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Did he really say “ass-face”?

Really?

Is this what it has finally come to?

JohnGalt23 on July 12, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Yep. Very professional. And I am predicting that Zimmerman gets screwed by the jury.

VegasRick on July 12, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Enjoy!

Del Dolemonte on July 12, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I tried to enjoy, but after scannng just a few sentences, I felt my brain cells might start rapidly dying off and determined it would be a detriment to my mental health to continue reading.

hawkeye54 on July 12, 2013 at 12:00 PM

My name is AJ Clemente, and I approve Chris Hayes’ message.

22044 on July 12, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Was he channeling Trayvon Martin describing George Zimmerman?

Steve Z on July 12, 2013 at 12:01 PM

wow…. ass face…….I’m sure one of the shows writers will get a bonus in this weeks paycheck…..

Sure gonna be hard of the intellectual giants that work on that show to top that next week

roflmmfao

donabernathy on July 12, 2013 at 12:01 PM

“We hate you, we hate your ass face”

Not true. The donkey he rode in was kinda cute. He can stay.

Lone Star on July 12, 2013 at 12:02 PM

VegasRick on July 12, 2013 at 12:00 PM

There is very little professionalism to be seen in leftist media, or media, in general anymore. All lowered to, or below, the level of the average viewer’s perceived intellectual capacity. From the Left’s point of view, playing to its audience.

hawkeye54 on July 12, 2013 at 12:02 PM

roflmmfao

donabernathy on July 12, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Poopy head.

VegasRick on July 12, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I believe I was introduced to the term Doody Head by my 4-year old about 25 years ago. I’m guessing this is supposed to be the edgy version of that which puts this 25-30 something kid at the maturity level of a 4 year old.

DanMan on July 12, 2013 at 12:04 PM

VegasRick on July 12, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Do you ever put money on these things?

JohnGalt23 on July 12, 2013 at 12:05 PM

MSNBC

Nothing you can really do, just like that screaming kid at the supermarket, crying baby on the plane, smartass teenagers at the mall, urine smell in the parking garage stairwell. Best not to waste time on them.

Wallythedog on July 12, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Anymore, that IS the maturity level of many 25-30 somethings…as well as some 40-50 somethings.

Devolution of the species.

hawkeye54 on July 12, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Chrissy dragged their ratings down around 20%.He will be layed up in bed sobbing for days being consoled by “friends” after they can him.He must know that Rachel is more hung than he is.

docflash on July 12, 2013 at 12:11 PM

VegasRick on July 12, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Prosecutor: “What wuz in Trayvon’s heart?”

A slug, duh.

Christien on July 12, 2013 at 12:13 PM

GOP rubber/glue retort forthcoming…stay tuned.

Christien on July 12, 2013 at 12:17 PM

No second? Thanks for leaving a brother hanging.

Christien on July 12, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I am so confused. I am pretty sure Rachel is a man and Chris is a woman. I don’t care what people do in the privacy of home, but it sure is confusing when you watch them to see what perspective they are bringing.

cat-scratch on July 12, 2013 at 12:40 PM

The guy in the pic beside Chris is Smiling because Chris
is using his hands underneath the desk..

ToddPA on July 12, 2013 at 12:40 PM

AP, had you never written this blog post we would all have been better off! We would not have known that one highlight of the MSNBC broadcast day. Well written, though! It still rates a “zero” on a scale of 1-10 of what one needs to know to get through the day!
Thanks,

Boats48 on July 12, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Chris Hayes is a whinier, less emotionally stable and more feminine version of Rachel Maddow.

Anyone surprised by this kind of behavior shouldn’t be.

Sacramento on July 12, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Chris, you’re close – I hate your face, ass

PJ Emeritus on July 12, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Olberman Lite.Just as vapid, just as grandiose in his attempts to generate audience by out lefting the other loons.

pat on July 12, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Maybe MSNBC can look to its deep bench of…Melitha Perry Harrith . . .

BuckeyeSam on July 12, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Hehe, I think it’s actually “Harrith-Perry.”

TarheelBen on July 12, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Chris Hayes?

Is he Issac’s kid?

itsspideyman on July 12, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Yep. Very professional.

VegasRick on July 12, 2013 at 12:00 PM

And BTW, it’s not just that it is unprofessional (which it is, and grossly so). It is that it is completely devoid of any wit, humor, charm, or joie de guerre (forgive my atrocious French).

It is banal. It is trite on steroids. It is… prepare yourself, Chris Hayes… it is common. It is something that any freshman high school journalism student would shun as beneath them.

Congratulations, Chris Hayes. This is where your career path has taken you…

JohnGalt23 on July 12, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Somewhat on topic:

NRO makes it’s view known on the Senate Immigration bill:

Chris of Rights on July 12, 2013 at 1:14 PM

“I hate your ass face?” THAT is “cerebral?” Can you say “potty mouth?” I think the child needs a spanking.

Humphrey on July 12, 2013 at 1:18 PM

I guess it’s time to sell MSNBC to al-Jezzera, then their can be al-Jezzera 2 in America. I bet the ratings would be better…at least in Dearborn.

kirkill on July 12, 2013 at 1:19 PM

He is opposite O’Reily?
I have mslsd blocked so didn’t know, don’t care.

TerryW on July 12, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Humphrey on July 12, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Bad idea. He might like it.

But a bar of old-fashioned lye soap might get across a point or two…

Liam on July 12, 2013 at 1:20 PM

THERE not their…dang it…

kirkill on July 12, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Wow, Chris, you just did a wonderful job describing the kind of person who is not in your target demographic and likely never will be. No wonder you’re killing it in the ratings…

Sockpuppet Politic on July 12, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Bad idea. He might like it.

But a bar of old-fashioned lye soap might get across a point or two…

Liam on July 12, 2013 at 1:20 PM

It would certainly enforce a point or two, but it would also bring the Children Services agencies down on us like locusts.

Humphrey on July 12, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Or maybe all that so called cerebral stuff, which by the way seems rehearsed and practiced, is just a pretense that if all else fails default to the real Hayes mindset.

jake49 on July 12, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Such language!

And Chris looks like such a nice young woman.

I guess appearances are deceiving.

Solaratov on July 12, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Allah, why do you continue to promote this idiot? At least twice a week HA has a blurb about him, all too often accompanied by a video clip. You bring attention of him to more people than watch his show.

And while I’m at it, why do you present the delusional Paul Krugman in the news section? Especially pointing to an article he scribbled with his crayons about the delusional republicans.

Hot Gas needs to be better than this.

NOMOBO on July 12, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I don’t care if it has already been written: PROJECTIONPROJECTION P_R_O_J_E_C_T_I_O_N
Just let an immigrant vote Republican or Libertarian or any other party than Democrat see how supportive and respectful this kind of “journalist” remains. Journ-Ø-List… Do you feel me, stinkface?

ExpressoBold on July 12, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Must be Hayes’ time of the month.

Kingfisher on July 12, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Chris who?

Midas on July 12, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Chris that is a very unbecoming statement for a real ass face squirrel to make.

mobydutch on July 12, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Maybe that Maddow guy should have a chat with his little sister Chrissy about proper decorum on the air.

Solaratov on July 12, 2013 at 6:39 PM