America’s shame: Early ratings for “Sharknado” disappoint; Update: Or do they?

posted at 2:41 pm on July 12, 2013 by Allahpundit

Is this America?

Last night, Twitter turned into one long promotional platform for Syfy’s “Sharknado, a spoof on disaster movies. But once again, it seems that a ton of tweets does not necessarily translate into huge ratings. “Sharknado” had an audience of just over 1 million people and only a 0.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic in early Nielsen numbers. Bottom line: It doesn’t take a lot of people to make a lot of noise on Twitter.

Business Week says that number, if true, is poor even by the standards of Syfy schlocksploitation. Their “octobear versus sharkosaurus” mutant monster genre draws an average of 1.5 million viewers per film, and sometimes much more. It’s hard for me to believe that a movie with this sort of hype on social media could actually underperform relative to the usual crapola — and maybe it didn’t. Preliminary ratings sometimes underestimate the total audience. But for what it’s worth, the Orlando Sentinel is reporting that “Sharknado” finished 35th in the local market with just a smidgen over 35,000 viewers. Which raises the question: When did we, as a people, lose our sense of national identity?

The movie did well in one medium, though:

It briefly hit 5,000 tweets per minute at the end, when Ian Ziering used a chainsaw to cut through a shark’s belly and then emerged from it, covered in viscera, reborn unto the world through a man-made sharkgina. But even those numbers are deceiving. Granted, it was tops last night among TV shows with 386,000 “social interactions,” but to put that in perspective, the season premiere of “Teen Wolf” on MTV last month drew a cool million. How could a silly, preposterous show like that top “Sharknado”?

Actually, there’s a lesson here:

That’s cute, but it’s kind of true. Online media is really just different forms of epistemic closure overlapping. “Sharknado” is a media phenomenon because pop-culture critics, both professional and amateur, love camp that’s as gleefully ridiculous as this. But if you’re not one of those people and you’re just looking for something good to watch, why would you spend two hours on it? It was so low-budget, the scenes of the characters “driving” around were shot exclusively in close-up through the windshield to pretend-hide the fact that they weren’t actually moving. If you’re the sort of person who’s willing to devote two hours of your life to ironic appreciation of egregious schlock, you were in a happy place. How many people are like that nationally? More than a million, I would have guessed, but maybe that’s my own epistemic closure talking

Exit question: This … doesn’t mean we’re not going to get “Sharknado 2,” does it?

Update: New ratings from THR show “Sharknado” at 1.4 million viewers — much closer to Syfy’s average for movies like this, but still lower than expected given the insane social-media hype.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Spoilers…..sheesh.

JohnTant on July 12, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I thought about tuning in, but it was in the middle of a close Orioles/Rangers game, so I passed. Maybe next time.

DRayRaven on July 12, 2013 at 2:43 PM

OT, but very significant – Drudge

ZIMMERMAN DEFENSE MAKES FINAL CASE…
‘Be vigilant, diligent in deciding this’…
TRIAL LIVE…
Judge Pressured by Obama Administration?
Levin Blasts: ‘She’s Obnoxious and Pathetic’…
CNN: ‘White Hispanic’…
Pastor Says Miami Will Be ‘Ground Zero’ For Riots, Looting…
… Police training ‘purely coincidence’
JUAN WILLIAMS: ‘Crackers,’ ‘teenage mammy’ — the ‘sorry truth about race’…
‘Nauseating Spectacle’…

SHOW JUDGE LIFE LONG DEM

Schadenfreude on July 12, 2013 at 2:45 PM

This was actually when I stopped watching, there were even immobile lights in the background, while someone doused the windshield with a garden hose. Not “cheesy good,” just bad. Same can also be said of Twitter generally.

JeremiahJohnson on July 12, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Anyone who made a shark flick after JAWS is simply delusional. The battle for a distant second place isn’t as sexy as some people seem to believe.

joejm65 on July 12, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Sorry I missed it but professional wrestling was on.

Captain Kirock on July 12, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Any coincidence the graph looks like a shark??? More great marketing?

katy on July 12, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Rule of thumb: The more a movie or TV show is hyped, the more likely it is to disappoint. What I find of such movies/shows and their advertisements, is that the best scenes are used in the commercials — leaving you wanting to get away from it all instead of asking for a sequel.

Liam on July 12, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Well I went to bed instead of watching it. I taped it so I can watch it and see if it is a one punch or two punch on my hacker movie card. On the submarine we would some times get two punches on our hacker movie card just by watching it from beginning to end.

danfinrud on July 12, 2013 at 2:49 PM

My brother sent me this link about Asylum. An entertaining overview of what they are all about. Quote from the article:
“This isn’t about trying to get you to watch our movie,” they wrote. “This is about gaming the system. This is about taking a stand. Against math.” If the Asylum’s films are naive camp, its marketing strategy is all deliberate. “It’s a parody of the studio system,” Latt says. “We’re making fun of the commerce side of this. You made your movie for $200 million? I’ll make it for 20 bucks.”

Ozprey on July 12, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Wow! It got Tara Reid off of zero! And it wasn’t even due to a false death rumor!

Gingotts on July 12, 2013 at 2:49 PM

It didn’t occur to me until late last night:

“In Soviet Union, the shark jumps you.”

apostic on July 12, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I watched it, and I’m STILL shaking in fear! What I’d like to see now is a version of Sharks On A Plane.

TarheelBen on July 12, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Well nowadays you have to wait a few days for the DVR time-shifted watching results to come in. Perhaps the ratings will have improved to merely “fair” in 3 days.

Jill1066 on July 12, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Their budget was only a million bucks. Pretty skimpy and even more skimpy when you need cgi effects which are expensive.

But I enjoyed it and that is the only think that matters. :)

Loved how he held the chainsaw up and sliced that shark in half!

Blake on July 12, 2013 at 2:52 PM

oh please, these movies are designed to pan and live on and on and on and on. IN that sharknado will do well, never human centipede level, but a success none the less.

rob verdi on July 12, 2013 at 2:52 PM

If Ziering had just admitted that he’s not going to testify in his own defense then Sharknado would have left him alone – eventually.

forest on July 12, 2013 at 2:52 PM

I’m SharknadoStunned at the tv performance out come!!!
(sarc)

canopfor on July 12, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Gingotts on July 12, 2013 at 2:49 PM

They couldn’t even do us men the courtesy of a gratuitous Tara-Reid-in-a-bikini shot.

Liam on July 12, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Yeah and Citizen Kane bombed at the box office, so what’s yer point?

PackerBronco on July 12, 2013 at 2:53 PM

TarheelBen on July 12, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Thread winner! LOL

Liam on July 12, 2013 at 2:54 PM

The premise is solid. Expect Sharknado2, Sharknado3, Sharknado4…

Blake on July 12, 2013 at 2:54 PM

forest on July 12, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Ziering had hate in his heart for that shark! And was guilty of species-profiling!!!!

PackerBronco on July 12, 2013 at 2:54 PM

If you really want to see how well the film does, check at the end of the month if chainsaw sales have risen. That’s the real indicator…

Blake on July 12, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Was it at this point the movie lost its sense of credibility?

apostic on July 12, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Liam on July 12, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Yep, still seeing too many commercials for The Lone Ranger.
I’m curious if Ed will see it, and if he leaves with his eyes intact when it’s over.

22044 on July 12, 2013 at 2:56 PM

America’s shame: Early ratings for “Sharknado” disappoint

It being on a basic cable channel and not a movie theater or some premium channel meant no chance of boobage (it has the hot blond from Make It or Break It in it). Believe it or not, I”m sure that’s one reason it didn’t have as much viewers:-P

DethMetalCookieMonst on July 12, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Yep, still seeing too many commercials for The Lone Ranger.

22044 on July 12, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Oh, it’s insane! Movies are being hyped in new ways.

I have seen TV commercials for a product, like car insurance, that includes a pitch for a movie. Not only that, it is shown every commercial break — sometimes twice — in case you were on the john the first 30 times it was aired that night.

Liam on July 12, 2013 at 2:58 PM

dang…I missed it and I wasn’t doing nothing except not tweet’n

DanMan on July 12, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Haters gotta Hate!

My daughter loves these campy shark movies. On cold rainy Saturdays we turn to SyFy to see wich Shark movie is on.

We love to see if the next one is going to be as bad as the last one.

Sharktopus
Megashark
Two Headed Shark
Malibu Shark Attack
Dinoshark
SandShark
Swampshark
Supershark

and now

SHARKNADO

We were not disapointed, this movie SUCKED more than the rest combined.

D-fusit on July 12, 2013 at 3:01 PM

The Twitter graph looks like a SHARKFIN!!!!

Coincidence? I think not….

Psycotte on July 12, 2013 at 3:02 PM

The latest hype: Pacific Rim.

It replaces all the other ads forced on a viewer of 80s Rock videos.

Liam on July 12, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I followed SharkNado on twitter last night. I must admit, there was a ‘Rocky Horror Picture Show’ element in regards to the audience participation on twitter that made the event rather enjoyable. Maybe that was the purpose of showing flying sharks in the first place…

joejm65 on July 12, 2013 at 3:03 PM

This … doesn’t mean we’re not going to get “Sharknado 2,” does it?

Truly…

… the last days of Rome.

Seven Percent Solution on July 12, 2013 at 3:03 PM

dang…I missed it and I wasn’t doing nothing except not tweet’n

DanMan on July 12, 2013 at 3:00 PM

My dentist cancelled my anesthetic-free root canal to watch it. /

Liam on July 12, 2013 at 3:04 PM

“octobear versus sharkosaurus”

OK, screenwriters, get to work…

brak on July 12, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Couldn’t they at least added a cameo of Arthur Fonzarelli on water skis? Or was that not in the budget?

Ward Cleaver on July 12, 2013 at 3:07 PM

#SharkginaStandswithWendy

RedRedRice on July 12, 2013 at 3:10 PM

RattleSnake-i-Cane?
Polar Bear Flood of ’13?
Killer Zombie Cicadas?
Chefs Gone Wild?

Global Warming?

oldroy on July 12, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Anyone ever notice that trolls never come in on lighthearted ‘joke’ threads like this, while we have a relaxed time together?

Liam on July 12, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Ward Cleaver on July 12, 2013 at 3:07 PM

They probably couldn’t afford Henry Winkler, but I bet Ted McGinley would’ve done it.

Flange on July 12, 2013 at 3:13 PM

if this is the best we can do, we don’t deserve a sharknado 2.

mrcatsuit on July 12, 2013 at 3:14 PM

RattleSnake-i-Cane?
Polar Bear Flood of ’13?
Killer Zombie Cicadas?
Chefs Gone Wild?

Global Warming?

oldroy on July 12, 2013 at 3:12 PM

The possibilities are endless!

Liam on July 12, 2013 at 3:14 PM

hmmm…. Sharknado vs Bearicane…. nah…

apostic on July 12, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Ward Cleaver on July 12, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Ron Howard doesn’t seem all that busy either. In fact, given the subject matter, I wonder why he didn’t direct this one?

oldroy on July 12, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Ward Cleaver on July 12, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Was this the movie with the shark that jumped?

PackerBronco on July 12, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Starting at 2:50PM EDT, CNBC did ten minutes on the business of Sharknado, and even spoke with an Executive VP of SyFy about the movie. He said that, depending on the final ratings, there could be a Sharknado 2.

One of the anchors suggested another concept, Whalicane, and also offered to be in Sharknado 2 if the VP would guarantee that a shark would bite off his head.

If they were to do one with Orcas (killer whales), I would suggest Whalestorm, since it incorporates the name of the rock band, Halestorm.

Reno_Dave on July 12, 2013 at 3:17 PM

hmmm…. Sharknado vs Bearicane…. nah…

apostic on July 12, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Bearicane? It has to be somewhat “plausible”.

oldroy on July 12, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Sharknado vs. Bearquake

PackerBronco on July 12, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Like the stadium concert rookie I was at age 12, I tuned into Supershark on SyFy right before Sharknado. Life-altering mistake.

I should have known better from experience that coming early to watch the first band can sometimes sour you on staying for the headliner.

In other words, don’t come early to watch Aldo Nova if you paid to see UFO.

But that’s exactly what happened: Supershark was so awesomely bad in every respect that I was deathly ill by the time it was over, & barely had enough strength left to grab the remote and turn the telly off and thus could not subject myself to Sharknado.

Supershark looked like they spent $10 making it (the laughably vomitous fake American submarine set was beyond priceless as were the soldiers with airborne patches and rifles with 30-round mags that fired hundreds of bullets at a time complete with post-edit cgi muzzle flashes).

A fossilized Jimmie Walker was in it too, plucked from a Salvation Army men’s lodge somewhere & playing a beachtown radio DJ who said Dyno-mite every 5 seconds.

About the only good thing was “actress” Sarah Lieving, a poor man’s Gina Gershon playing the activist marine science chick who saves the day by blowing up the shark with C-4.

The other “good” thing was that several of the awful-acting characters who you wished would be eaten by the shark in time for the first commercial break were in fact eaten before the second break.

If and when theres a “Sharknado 2: the Wrath of Khan” I promise not to watch Supershark Day Camp beforehand.

Sacramento on July 12, 2013 at 3:18 PM

So, the chances of “Crockaphoon” being made have been dealt a deathly blow?

Gatorquake?

SteveMG on July 12, 2013 at 3:18 PM

PackerBronco on July 12, 2013 at 3:16 PM

They could do a movie about trading Aaron Rodgers for Tim Tebow, couldn’t they?

oldroy on July 12, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I’ll bet it is way better than “Progressive Flo” selling illicit snapshot gadget. “Just try it…come on little boy, what are you scared of? Don’t trust Big Brother?” My gawd that is creepy!

kirkill on July 12, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Got it!

Wolvernova!

apostic on July 12, 2013 at 3:22 PM

And did those who watched it catch the comment about global warming> The storm was caused by it.

WC on July 12, 2013 at 3:22 PM

If it’s any consolation, Allah, and I know you are taking this whole thing pretty hard, even Citizen Kane and more recently, Fight Club were considered failures when they were initially released.

cynccook on July 12, 2013 at 3:23 PM

They should have gotten George Wendt to play Norm George.

Flange on July 12, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Awww, poor little twits, er, I mean, twitter users

John the Libertarian on July 12, 2013 at 3:25 PM

SHOW JUDGE LIFE LONG DEM

Schadenfreude on July 12, 2013 at 2:45 PM

… and appointed by Jeb Bush, if I heard correctly.

Midas on July 12, 2013 at 3:25 PM

I’m hodling out for the perennial sequel formula favorite:

Sharnado 2: Electric Boogaloo

apostic on July 12, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Honey Boo-Boo in Smell-a-Vision?

oldroy on July 12, 2013 at 3:26 PM

So, the chances of “Crockaphoon” being made have been dealt a deathly blow?

Gatorquake?

SteveMG on July 12, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Gatorcano: A volcano explosion frees giant gators from miles down to wreak havoc on an unsuspecting world. They used to live on rocks, but they discover that eating Italian(s) tastes so much better!

Then, they discover that Americans taste better, so there’s a massive rampage.

The military isn’t just helpless. It’s inept!

And it’s up to some fifteen year old nerd girl who’s hot for the high school’s football captain to save the day.

She took General Science I as a freshman, so she’s the only one who could save us!

Oh! Mercy mercy me!

Liam on July 12, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Honey Boo-Boo in Smell-a-Vision?

oldroy on July 12, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I’ve seen those ads.

Little surprise me, friend. But that takes the cake.

Liam on July 12, 2013 at 3:27 PM

What was the non-spoof movie about the earthquakes cause by giant snakes?

oldroy on July 12, 2013 at 3:27 PM

TarheelBen on July 12, 2013 at 2:50 PM

OM Gosh. LOL

TerryW on July 12, 2013 at 3:28 PM

A remake of Independence Day? Or I should say a re-release?

oldroy on July 12, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Awww, poor little twits, er, I mean, twitter users

John the Libertarian on July 12, 2013 at 3:25 PM

What’s in a name?

Everything…

Liam on July 12, 2013 at 3:28 PM

^You take that to Hollywood and somebody will invest in it.

SteveMG on July 12, 2013 at 3:28 PM

GatorCane hits Bourbon Street…..

dddave on July 12, 2013 at 3:29 PM

CainaCuda

Oh wait…been there, done that.

BobMbx on July 12, 2013 at 3:29 PM

but they discover that eating Italian(s) tastes so much better! Then, they discover that Americans taste better, so there’s a massive rampage.

Liam on July 12, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Which is like saying Americans have better taste than Italians? Arguments to the contrary?

apostic on July 12, 2013 at 3:29 PM

if this is the best we can do, we don’t deserve a sharknado 2.

mrcatsuit on July 12, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Not even Moslem terrorists deserve that kind of pain.

Liam on July 12, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Awww, poor little twits, er, I mean, twitter users

John the Libertarian on July 12, 2013 at 3:25 PM

I know! It’s almost like the universe (or at least the American viewing public) is saying that their 140 character chunks of wisdom aren’t — dare I even say it? — important!

cynccook on July 12, 2013 at 3:30 PM

There’s a poor man’s Gina Gershon? Obamacare is destroying this nations economy more than I thought possible if there exist men that poor.

Gingotts on July 12, 2013 at 3:31 PM

What was the non-spoof movie about the earthquakes cause by giant snakes?

oldroy on July 12, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Uh, Boogie Nights?

apostic on July 12, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Liam on July 12, 2013 at 3:26 PM

apostic on July 12, 2013 at 3:29 PM

There is NO WAY I’m going to touch that one, for all the inherent/’accidental’ puns already swimming like sharks in my head. ;-)

Liam on July 12, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Maybes,they can have Sharknado 2,

Sharks Escape Dr. Moreau’s Island,

of Half Shark/Half Man,or women,…ick,….anywho
just a thought!
(snarkado)

canopfor on July 12, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Sorry, I don’t have cable; and it wasn’t on NetFlix.

Paying $70/month more for cable than just for internet still doesn’t look like a good financial move to me… even factoring in that I do miss out on things like this on rare occasions.

gekkobear on July 12, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I don’t believe those numbers. Must be anti-shark pollsters.

WannabeAnglican on July 12, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Global warming. Drink!’ Syfy’s ‘Sharknado’ causes outbreak of sloshed viewers

Erick Erickson @EWErickson
I repent. Watching Sharknado converted me into a believer that global warming is real AND it’s going to be awesome.

Yesterday Twitchy asked, “Will Al Gore blame Sharknados on global warming?” That remains to be seen, but Syfy’s “Sharknado” took care of it for the Goracle.

NMRN123 on July 12, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Rosannaconda, starring Rosanne Barr

Not sure if she should become a giant, man-eating snake, or be devoured by a giant Anaconda which then takes-on some of her mannerisms.

Reno_Dave on July 12, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Rosannaconda, starring Rosanne Barr

Reno_Dave on July 12, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Reno_Dave:

Interesting concept,but,thats gonna be one fat-*ss
for the snakes rear-end to be dragging around!
(sarc)

canopfor on July 12, 2013 at 3:43 PM

What was the non-spoof movie about the earthquakes cause by giant snakes?

oldroy on July 12, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Are you thinking of Tremors? Reba McEntire and Kevin Bacon I think…comedy gold.

kirkill on July 12, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Wait! How’s this: Global warming causes an unbearable heat wave, which in turn causes the starving bivalves to rampage out of the water onto land and attack & devour all animals/people in the their steamy wake. And we call it: Clambake!

(Hey, somebody made Squirm (1976), which was about stampeding earthworms…)

apostic on July 12, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Giant Squash Bugs from Outer Space?
Concrete Eating Gophers Take Down Manhattan?

oldroy on July 12, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Are you thinking of Tremors? Reba McEntire and Kevin Bacon I think…comedy gold.

kirkill on July 12, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Tremors yes. Thanks. No I can sleep tonight.

oldroy on July 12, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Bring back the test pattern!!

Deano1952 on July 12, 2013 at 3:49 PM

My vote so far is for RosannaConda.

oldroy on July 12, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Charlie Sheen in anything.

oldroy on July 12, 2013 at 3:53 PM

PandaMonium?

oldroy on July 12, 2013 at 3:55 PM

My vote so far is for RosannaConda.

oldroy on July 12, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Useful.

I also like Bearquake.

Mine: Slothnami!!

Sacramento on July 12, 2013 at 3:58 PM

PandaMonium – “Asian” spies release steel rail eating mutant pandas that cause toxic derailments all over America.

oldroy on July 12, 2013 at 3:59 PM

I don’t have cable TV so I had to my own version of the movie in my brain. I’m sure I can find it out on a free tv site so I probably watch it this weekend.

Heftyjo on July 12, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Mine: Slothnami!!

Sacramento on July 12, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Brings a tear to my eye. Plot?

oldroy on July 12, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Just goes to show you how out of touch Twitter/Media is so out of touch with the real world…

d1carter on July 12, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I wish Howard Zinn had taken this on during his writing career. “A People’s Sharknado!” is an opportunity missed.

MTF on July 12, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Just don’t make Obama/Biden 3.

Flange on July 12, 2013 at 4:01 PM

lol

Admit it Allah. The more absurd the story you’re covering, the more your creative writing juices flow.

Sharkgina could become a real word.

smoothsailing on July 12, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Godzilla – A Dinosaur with superpowers takes over Tokyo….oh, wait.

oldroy on July 12, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Sharkgina could become a real word.

smoothsailing on July 12, 2013 at 4:03 PM