Video: Emotional Senate floor tribute to Arizona’s lost firefighters

posted at 10:01 pm on July 10, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

I don’t know if anyone else feels the same, but I felt like I didn’t spend enough time contemplating this disaster during the past couple busy news weeks. Sometimes these things are so hard to really take in. Just reading the list of their names and ages gives you some inkling of how much life, love, and potential was lost June 30.

Andrew Ashcraft, 29
Joe Thurston, 32
Travis Turbyfill, 27
William Warneke, 25
Clayton Whitted, 28
Kevin Woyjeck, 21
Garret Zuppiger, 27

Today, Sens. Jeff Flake and John McCain of Arizona put a face on these lost souls for us. Fathers, fiancés, expectant fathers, brave men and protectors:

Buzzfeed has a solemn slideshow of the procession that brought these heroes home for the last time.

Prayers and thoughts for their families and friends, and thanks to all those who go, eyes wide open, into danger to protect the rest of us.

Comments

thanks

May they RIP

The service for these men in AZ on Thursday was well done. Probably in the Cspan Library for anyone wanting to see it.

CoffeeLover on July 10, 2013 at 10:05 PM

May they find Peace and Love in Gods loving arms…
God Bless all the families who have lost loved ones in this terrible disaster.
May God comfort you in your hour of need…

My prayers go out for all of you…

Amen

Scrumpy on July 10, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Hiya Scrumpy

Very well said!

Amen

CoffeeLover on July 10, 2013 at 10:07 PM

CoffeeLover on July 10, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Scrumpy on July 10, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I couldn’t have said it better..

It’s hard…if not impossible..
To understand the drive and commitment that these individuals have…

Electrongod on July 10, 2013 at 10:11 PM

It is odd that we have gone wall to wall, day after day on the plane crash and have heard little about these brave men. Maybe it is because of the risks they face by doing their jobs. I have to say that I am glad that the the White House sent several from his administration to honor the men.

Cindy Munford on July 10, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Hey EG

Isn’t that the truth. My hat is off to all of them!

CoffeeLover on July 10, 2013 at 10:13 PM

I caught some of Biden (more than enough). He talked more about himself and his interraction with firemen….his wife’s accident, his brain attack and the fire at his house. I was spitting bullets.

The 20th man in that HotShot team also spoke and the box of kleenex was used.

The pipe and drums contingents were awesome.

CoffeeLover on July 10, 2013 at 10:16 PM

The dudes who do that work have some big seeds, I couldn’t do what they do.

Bishop on July 10, 2013 at 10:17 PM

All pretty young. You gotta be to do what they did.

I love pine forest. And I hate them, too.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around what they went through. Maybe it’s best not to.

Bravery doesn’t really fully explain it. I live here. These fires are no joke. I’d run out. They run in. What they do is amazing. Blazing heat without the fire. And they bust ass cutting fire lines with chainsaws and shovels. Freaking hard work, rugged ground, exessive heat.

Special place in Heaven for them. And in my heart.

wolly4321 on July 10, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Leftists to setup a non-profit to raise money off of this in 3-2-1.

faraway on July 10, 2013 at 10:23 PM

One came home today in Marana. Right up the road. Via National Guard helo.

wolly4321 on July 10, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Just a little story..
Last month I am driving home from work..
30 miles through the desert..
I come up to a wild fire just starting….spark from car or something..

There were already 7 vehicles that stopped and individuals out on the side of the highway trying to put out the grass fire before it got the 4 foot tumbleweed forest…
I thought they had it under control as I slowly drove by…

I drove to work the next morning to see that 50 acres was burnt…

Lesson:

We all can make a difference….
Or at least try..

Electrongod on July 10, 2013 at 10:31 PM

BTW- thank you MKH for posting this.

wolly4321 on July 10, 2013 at 10:32 PM

ex. OneFundBoston

the principal
activities of the Corporation shall be to assist those affected by the Boston Marathon tragedy of April
15, 2013, or other attacks which may occur in the United States in the future.

They collected $60 million, and they setup officers, committees, and plan to stay in those positions in perpetuity.

From now on, the Left will raise money off of dead Americans.

faraway on July 10, 2013 at 10:33 PM

When I landed in Tucson July 1, 2003,, this is what I landed in.

It was 90° at midnight as we watched the flames heading down the mountain. All you could smell was smoke. I lived in Sabino Canyon.

Dudes like the 19 stopped it.

wolly4321 on July 10, 2013 at 10:41 PM

RIP…God be with them…and their families.

KOOLAID2 on July 10, 2013 at 10:42 PM

May they find Peace and Love in Gods loving arms…
God Bless all the families who have lost loved ones in this terrible disaster.
May God comfort you in your hour of need…

My prayers go out for all of you…

Amen

Scrumpy on July 10, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Amen. Very well said.

PatriotGal2257 on July 10, 2013 at 10:51 PM

The senate isn’t worthy.

abobo on July 10, 2013 at 11:06 PM

John Percin Jr, 24, of West Linn Oregon.

His memorial service was today. They closed the Freeway. It was a solemn day here. The firetruck funeral procession was amazing to see. Saw many people pay their respects as the procession passed. I was proud of our community for showing respect, as sometimes they can be jerks.

Much too young to pass.

portlandon on July 11, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Thank you. My husband is a firefighter and wildland firefighter and had worked with some of these men. He was one of the pipers at the memorial and is actually in the first video shot of Amazing Grace. I could hardly stomach hearing him practice it this last week and I still can watch the whole Memorial. It has been a tough week for all of us. As a wife, I can only feel guilt when thinking of these men’s wives. There but for the Grace of God…

hazchic on July 11, 2013 at 12:51 AM

hazchic on July 11, 2013 at 12:51 AM

You must go crazy every time he goes out on a call. Please let him know that although we don’t thank them as often as we should, his profession is valued and his bravery is appreciated.

Cindy Munford on July 11, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Cindy Munford on July 11, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Thank you.
I have never really sweat it (unless he goes to California, but that is another story). I’m in the biz too, so I think that helps.

Our local of the 19, Billy Warneke, leaves behind a pregnant wife. The locals are all banding together to get their house remodeled.

The 100 club is always great for helping Family out.

hazchic on July 11, 2013 at 1:14 AM

My links didn’t go, but just search for AZ 100 Club to donate.

hazchic on July 11, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Many prayers for the families of the fallen.

No words. Just misty eyes.

Grace_is_sufficient on July 11, 2013 at 5:02 AM

May God bless and protect their souls, and may He comfort their families.

AZCoyote on July 11, 2013 at 11:30 AM

My God! The loss is just mind boggling. It breaks my heart.

RIP, brothers!

NavyMustang on July 11, 2013 at 1:11 PM

My heart goes out to the 19 families that lost so much. I am so grateful for their brave sacrifice as they stood trying to save that small town. They gave all.

I also want to remember what they were fighting to save…a small town that was devastated when the fire overran them. 122 homes were destroyed (~20% of the total homes in the town), but many, many more were saved because of them and their brothers.

I will never forget their sacrifice, and each time I return to Yarnell, I will forever think of those brave men who gave all, so a small mountain town could live.

2Hansom on July 11, 2013 at 3:12 PM