Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on July 10, 2013 by Allahpundit

House Republicans huddled behind closed doors Wednesday in a long-awaited “special conference” to discuss tactics, air grievances and plot the way forward – or out of – the national debate over comprehensive immigration reform…

At the beginning of the meeting, House Speaker John Boehner reiterated that the House will not take up the “flawed” Senate-passed bill but urged some type of action. And Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan, the high-profile former vice presidential nominee who supports the reform effort, presented an economic argument for immigration legislation and noted the nation’s declining birthrate without the influx of new residents, sources in the room said…

In a statement after the meeting, House Republican leaders said “this administration cannot be trusted to deliver on its promises to secure the border and enforce laws as part of a single, massive bill like the one passed by the Senate.”…

One type of immigration action could take the form of legislation to address those who were brought to the country illegally as children – or DREAMers – who have been among the most organized and sympathetic advocates for reform.

***

Boehner “said we’d be in a much weaker position if we didn’t act,” according to Rep. Tom Cole (R-Okla.). “He clearly wants to act, thinks something needs to get done. Frankly, our principles are probably closer to where the American people are, but it’s incumbent upon us to act.”…

“The Speaker said that we’re going to have a majority of the conference for anything that goes over [to the Senate] or comes back [from conference],” a lawmaker at the meeting said.

“People were asking, ‘Well, can you guarantee me what’s going to come back from conference won’t be the Senate bill-light?’”

“[Boehner] said, ‘I can’t guarantee what’s going to come back from conference because it hasn’t happened yet, but I can guarantee that we’re going to have something a majority of the conference accepts,’” a lawmaker in the room told The Hill.

***

A new Rasmussen Reports poll shows that only 39 percent of Americans want an immigration bill that cuts illegal immigration by only 50 percent from current levels as the Senate’s recently-passed “Gang of Eight” bill would do.

According to the Congressional Budget Office (CBO), the Senate bill would only reduce illegal immigration by a maximum of 50 percent. “The immigration reform plan passed by the Senate would give legal status to those who have entered the country illegally and reduce future illegal immigration by 50%. Do you favor or oppose that plan?” survey respondents were asked. Only 39 percent of 1,000 likely voters sampled responded that they favored such a plan…

When asked three weeks ago whether they support giving legal status to America’s illegal aliens if the border were secured and laws were enforced, 60 percent of likely voters responded in the affirmative. Now, though, only 50 percent support such an idea.

***

As we noted yesterday morning, if immigration reform has a pulse, it’s very weak. Shortly afterward, it became undetectable. The key moment came when Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY) — the leading Democratic author of the Senate’s immigration bill — laid things out for House Speaker John Boehner.

“Without a path to citizenship, there is not going to be a bill,” he said. “There can’t be a bill.”…

Even if the House GOP pulls off the unthinkable and puts a bill on the floor that includes a citizenship component — even one that’s “triggered” — conservatives will recognize it as a feint. They’ll be convinced, perhaps correctly, that the Senate position will win the day in conference, and that they’ll be faced with a take-it-or-leave-it proposition once the bill is really, truly finalized.

So they’ll withhold support for that reason. And suddenly the bill will no longer be Hastert rule compliant.

***

Jon Ward of the Huffington Post lays out how this needle could theoretically be threaded. It would involve replacing the Path to Citizenship which so alarms many House Republicans with something less, along the lines of Sen. Rand Paul’s “No New Path To Citizenship” proposal.

You can call it a Pathway to Legalization—unauthorized immigrants would get the right to stay in the country legally and could pursue citizenship if they become eligible through existing legal channels, but would not get a separately established right to apply for Permanent Resident status after 10 years…

A path to legalization without citizenship would satisfy the needs of Republican-aligned business interests, which just want to be able to hire immigrant workers. And it could calm worries among Republicans wary of granting citizenship to members of a likely Democratic voting block…

If House Republicans pass a bill with no path to citizenship, they’ll be able to accurately tell business interests that they passed legislation addressing their priorities, Hispanics that they voted for a bill that changes immigration in a way that substantially betters the lives of immigrants, and conservatives that they didn’t just roll over to Democratic priorities. The politics are drastically better than not passing anything at all.

***

Conservative Latino leaders are starting to pick up this chorus as well, suggesting that there is a move afoot to coordinate support for it.

“What if they were to propose to legalize people under a guest worker program that doesn’t close the door to citizenship,” said Alfonso Aguilar, executive director of the Latino Partnership for Conservative Principles. “You could say, there’s still a path to citizenship, it’s just the normal path.”

“That could get the majority of the majority,” he added.

***

Strikingly, wages are lower today than in 1999. Median household income has declined 8 percent. One in seven recent college graduates is unemployed. One in three Americans without a high-school diploma can’t find work. The Senate immigration bill — written by the White House, Democrat leadership and supported by the entire Democrat conference — sacrifices the economic interests of these Americans in deference to the politicians and business interest who want lower-cost labor.

If there is any lesson for the GOP to learn from 2012, it’s that we must do a better job fighting for and connecting with working Americans of all backgrounds — immigrant and native-born alike — whose wages have fallen and whose employment opportunities have increasingly diminished.

In pushing for this bill, the Left has abandoned and taken for granted the struggling worker. By doing the right thing on immigration, the GOP can distance our party from the corporate titans who believe the immigration policy for our entire country should be modeled to pad their bottom line.

***

[I]t makes much more sense for the G.O.P. to think about its political problems in terms of class and economics rather than ethnicity, and for the party’s leaders to first attack its economic vulnerabilities — particularly the perception, often earned, that the party has nothing to offer wage-earning Americans — rather than starting with an issue, immigration, that has the potential to just highlight the G.O.P.’s disconnect from voter priorities, and confirm the impression that the party’s Wall Street wing calls all the shots. The core of the Lowry-Kristol thesis isn’t that the G.O.P. should necessarily resign itself to a Romney-esque performance among Hispanics in 2016 and beyond; it’s that a conservative party with an appealing, populist-inflected economic agenda will ultimately probably win more white votes and more Hispanic votes (and, for that matter, black votes and Asian votes) than a conservative party whose idea of rebranding is just a headlong rush to put President Obama’s signature on an immigration bill…

[M]uch of the energy in the immigration fight comes from factions within the Republican tent that regard the Rubio-Schumer bill as a brilliant-and-easy way to avoid any kind of broader rethinking on economics, and that are pressing immigration reform on their co-partisans as the only conceivable alternative to swift political extinction. This is the argument Lowry and Kristol are mostly pushing back against: No, they’re saying, there are other paths the party could take. And they’re right.

***

“If you’re pandering, it’s going to be the side that panders the most that’s going to get the result,” Labrador continued. “We’re never going to out-pander the Democratic Party.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

“I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
Axe on July 10, 2013 at 11:53 PM

And everyone foolishly thought the elves were the best at the subtle insult.

LegendHasIt on July 11, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Allow me a moment to googlé “gig line” and I shall retouré!

cynccook on July 10, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Get off my lawn, you damn kids!

Solaratov on July 11, 2013 at 12:10 AM

G’night everybody. Line by line dissection (aka, utter f*cking bullshit, or UFBS) quota met.

nobar on July 11, 2013 at 12:11 AM

@ReturnTo1776

Boys are #BroChoice. Men are #BroLife.

Axe on July 11, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Hi all.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2013 at 12:15 AM

They are all liars. Sell outs to big business and the media. Whores that care more for Mexico than America because of money. For that they will sing a Democratic tune and ensure we become part of the clockwork orange across the border.

pat on July 11, 2013 at 12:18 AM

What happened to qotd? I check in and
no tunes..crickets.
B9 wuz here~

bazil9 on July 11, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Do you think there has ever been an on line blog baby shower?

Cindy Munford on July 11, 2013 at 12:24 AM

What happened to qotd? I check in and
no tunes..crickets.
B9 wuz here~

bazil9 on July 11, 2013 at 12:19 AM

I tried tonight. :)

Alas.

Axe on July 11, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Do you think there has ever been an on line blog baby shower?

Cindy Munford on July 11, 2013 at 12:24 AM

lol — What?

What?

Axe on July 11, 2013 at 12:25 AM

TYVM, Sparky.

Axe on July 11, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Thanks for drawing my attention to the typo. lol

Resist We Much on July 11, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Axe on July 11, 2013 at 12:25 AM

It would be fun to give an on line blog baby shower for Mary Katherine.

Cindy Munford on July 11, 2013 at 12:30 AM

bazil9 on July 11, 2013 at 12:19 AM

I don’t know about anyone else but this working business has totally ruined by computer time. Probably has to do with old age but I’m blaming it on the job. I should be come a Democrat, working makes you tired.

Cindy Munford on July 11, 2013 at 12:31 AM

bazil9 on July 11, 2013 at 12:19 AM

It’s because of a jinx. QOTD is Jinxed by the curse of the chilly flan.

It will take a couple days for the harbinger of the ill omen to release the bad luck hex.

SparkPlug on July 11, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Thanks for drawing my attention to the typo. lol

Resist We Much on July 11, 2013 at 12:26 AM

O, yeah. I missed that. Typo. I see it, now. No problem. :)

No. Problem.

No fue nada. No te preocupes.

Axe on July 11, 2013 at 12:32 AM

It would be fun to give an on line blog baby shower for Mary Katherine.

Cindy Munford on July 11, 2013 at 12:30 AM

dude! –wait, when, say?

Axe on July 11, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Do you think there has ever been an on line blog baby shower?

Cindy Munford on July 11, 2013 at 12:24 AM

I don’t see why not. There was a movie about flying sharks caught in the vortex of a tornado.

SparkPlug on July 11, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Axe on July 11, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Does this mean you were unaware of the impending birth or that you think it’s a swell idea?

Cindy Munford on July 11, 2013 at 12:37 AM

SparkPlug on July 11, 2013 at 12:35 AM

How do you send gifts and eat chicken salad on King Hawaiian rolls?

Cindy Munford on July 11, 2013 at 12:38 AM

What happened to qotd? I check in and
no tunes..crickets.
B9 wuz here~

bazil9 on July 11, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh . . . . . . . . . . you’re making too much noise …..

listens2glenn on July 11, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Cindy Munford on July 11, 2013 at 12:37 AM

As you know, I try desperately to ignore all the personal chit chat and so on here. This blog is not a personal forum for people to air their personal lives, and I personally try to comment only substantively, on topic, and succinctly.

. . . reminds me. @Sophie

. . . sorry, RWM, it’s just one of those nights. :)

Nevertheless, I do remember something about MKH allowing herself to be impregnated recently, and that she is heavy with child.

(Actual answer, notwithstanding the forgoing: I was just wondering what form an online shower would take and how soon it would be required to take that form?)

Axe on July 11, 2013 at 12:46 AM

I received a call today from some Ryan group. The woman who called listened gracefully as I explained my extreme disappointment in Ryan, who has joined with other RINOs to cram amnesty down Americans’ throats. There will be no contributions from me to anything with which Ryan is involved.
I am embarrassed at my last two votes in presidential elections.

GaltBlvnAtty on July 11, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Axe on July 11, 2013 at 12:46 AM

I haven’t a clue. My guess is that we could come up with some scathingly brilliant new idea but will probably just talk about all the ways it won’t work.

Cindy Munford on July 11, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Cindy Munford on July 11, 2013 at 12:58 AM

I don’t do that don’t thing. If you can get it framed, I can make it happen. Only deal breaker is time. :) Might not be anything for me to do . . . but, I’m for it. I love the idea. Virtual party.

. . . Assuming I’m allowed to live, be it ever so inconvenient.

Axe on July 11, 2013 at 1:02 AM

I am embarrassed at my last two votes in presidential elections.

GaltBlvnAtty on July 11, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Lots of people with you, at least in their own way.

Axe on July 11, 2013 at 1:03 AM

We could probably do the gift thing with the aid of Ed and/or AP the virtual get together might be a bit tougher. You geek types can probably figure that out.

Cindy Munford on July 11, 2013 at 1:06 AM

I have two ten to twelve hour days ahead of me, so I’m going to call it a night. I’ll check in tomorrow.

Cindy Munford on July 11, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Wanna know how to boost our country’s birth rate… fix the damn economy! With 1/3 on food stamps and the rest worried about their jobs, they actually might be limiting their breeding. How did these nitwits rise to power?

Chubbs65 on July 11, 2013 at 1:14 AM

CLAUDIUS
– And where the offence is, let the great axe fall.

Axe on July 11, 2013 at 1:23 AM

I would use the words of Chevy Chase to Jane Curtain on Weekend Update, but I don’t need to. You are now thinking them:

HOW LONG HAVE YOU STUPID IMBECILES passed bills on to Harry Reid?
Was it EVER incumbent upon him to act?

I kinda get the labor shortage thing. Yeah, I hold up the figure of over 14% unemployment and I get over that headache quickly.

1986 and 2006, you promised to secure the border. THAT IS WHAT IS INCUMBENT UPON YOU, you silly twits…

I’m sorry, but it is y’all who have forced me to this. The responsibility is upon the head of the Republicans who are acting silly, for my next, desperate action:

Medbob on July 11, 2013 at 1:43 AM

I can’t wait for this betrayal!

And by the looks of it on these comments, not too many care.

It’s going to pass, it’s going to pass because of you.

The GOP will betray you

True_King on July 11, 2013 at 6:07 AM

We need a ‘Moses’ to lead us out of the wilderness, a Joan of Arc to lead the battle against creeping tyranny.
I hope one shows up soon and ready for battle. Otherwise we’re lost.

countrybumpkin on July 11, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Look to God first, and the leaders will follow.

True_King on July 11, 2013 at 6:15 AM

Good Morniong, Patriots! “America needs young people to be inspired to choose sacrifice over greed.” Jesse Jackson DOJ Organizes Rallies Against George Zimmerman. “Constitution? We Don’t Need No Stinkin’ Constitution.” My take.

kingsjester on July 11, 2013 at 6:50 AM

I have decided that accusations of racism are to the 21th century America what accusation of witchcraft were to 17th century Salem.

Both are forms of mass hysteria that allow the accuser to feel good about himself whole whipping up the emotions of those around him. Meanwhile the real underlying problems of racial differences, like inner city unemployment and youth gangs, are left untouched.

esr1951 on July 11, 2013 at 7:00 AM

esr1951 on July 11, 2013 at 7:00 AM

Exactly.

kingsjester on July 11, 2013 at 7:02 AM

A MIDSUMMER KNIGHT’S DREAM

Oh Knight Sir Boehner, do not delay
Bring lance, sword & mace into the fray
Allow not Four Perfidious Demons to hold sway
Let copious courage carry the day
Make Marco, Jeff, Lindsay & John pay
All Four Perfidious Demons must you slay
For a fractured nation show the way
And for illegals there must be a ‘nay’
And do not your constituents betray
Ole ole ole ole ole ole

MaiDee on July 11, 2013 at 7:24 AM

Let’s clear up a few issues here.

The United States already has a workable immigration process. It does need tweaking so that Muslims can’t stay behind when their student visas have expired but they have yet to learn how to fly a plane into buildings. Amnesty for illegals should not come at the expense of those in the system that are doing things the legal way.

What Rubio and his co-conspirators are really trying to do is find a way to give amnesty to a bunch of criminals who have no respect for our laws, take more from society than they contribute, and are apt to have fake SSNs and other “documentation. The illegals are not lurking in the shadows, they have become brazen enough they proudly go before Congressional hearings and make demands of our nation.

The House GOP needs to introduce legislation that only deals with securing the border. When the Demonrats object that there is no “pathway to amnesty” for the illegals, the House GOP should just tell them that they either accept the border first strategy or expect that nothing will be done about amnesty for the unworthy criminals.

Happy Nomad on July 11, 2013 at 7:25 AM

“We must act!!!!”

TOM COLE…….GUTLESS RINO!

So MORE EVIDENCE that Boehner will not defend this nations sovereign borders.

He and the entire BIG GOV loving Progressive leadership of the party or filthy lying traitors to LIBERTY LIVING Conservatism.

ONE PARTY RULE……….Progressive……..it’s here baby!!

PappyD61 on July 11, 2013 at 7:28 AM

California will not be a part if the United States in my lifetime.

And possibly Arizona and New Mexico.

This poll worker proposal is the final nail in the coffin of electoral depravity.

Think how insane that is.

How ironic that Reagan who signed the Amnesty bill will see his state and library be run by Hispanics……administering his final resting place.

PappyD61 on July 11, 2013 at 7:35 AM

I don’t understand why conservatives, as a threshold matter, don’t whittle down the number of illegal immigrants who might be granted amnesty.

Deport any visa overstayer. Weren’t four or five of the 9/11 murders visa overstayers? We have paperwork on them, and they knew the rules. Regardless of circumstances, whenever they pop up on anyone’s radar, nab them and deport them. That supposedly remove 40% of illegal immigrants.

Deport any illegal immigrant who has been convicted of any crime.

Deport any illegal immigrant who is a member of a gang.

Deport any remaining illegal immigrants who, as an adult, came here or remained here with a phony or a stolen identity.

Deport any remaining illegal immigrants who entered the country after 2010.

For any remaining illegal immigrants who came here as adults, we might consider extending some kind of permanent residency status, but never letting them become citizens.

For any remaining illegal immigrants who can here as minors, we might consider a long path to citizenship.

I’ll leave border enforcement, internal enforcement, the visa systems, and assimilation issues to others, though they are critical issues.

BuckeyeSam on July 11, 2013 at 8:14 AM

kingsjester on July 11, 2013 at 6:50 AM

…good one kj…if people would read it…it could easily push the thread to 200!
(:->)

KOOLAID2 on July 11, 2013 at 8:23 AM

True_King on July 11, 2013 at 6:07 AM

Your schtick got old a long time ago.
Go. Away.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2013 at 9:10 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Dittos kiddo. ; )

Bmore on July 11, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Funny thing. Many here have griped time and time again about the nature of QOTD for being a chat room etc. Nice to see all that have complained so rush in and fill the thread with thoughtful commentary./

Bmore on July 11, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Oh, I dunno, I kinda liked our country back when we had less that 200 million living here, and we preferred immigrants, educated and from similar cultures, not disimilar, backward and dysfuncitiol cultures and religions, that also were screened for hygiene and diseases.

I have no problem going a few years with a declining birthrate and lower immigration numbers. There is no good reason for a constantly growing population.

However, a shrinking population is really bad for certain government operated ponzi schemes which require fresh blood and labor for government leaches to suck for contributions to keep them afloat.

hawkeye54 on July 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM