Are you “bro-choice”?

posted at 7:21 pm on July 10, 2013 by Allahpundit

I used to think killing healthy, viable babies in the womb was a moral abomination, until I realized that that position might take a few notches out of my bedpost.

Now? Just hand me the scalpel.

For those of us guys who like girls — you know, like them like them — and want to have relationships with them that may last anywhere from a few minutes to many years, we need to think about how this bill, by curtailing the bodily autonomy and sexual freedom of women, hurts us, too. We need to stand with women in their fight to control their own bodies…

Your sex life is at stake. Can you think of anything that kills the vibe faster than a woman fearing a back-alley abortion? Making abortion essentially inaccessible in Texas will add an anxiety to sex that will drastically undercut its joys. And don’t be surprised if casual sex outside of relationships becomes far more difficult to come by.

It’s clear: if the Legislature basically takes away a Texas woman’s right to choose, having sex becomes a much, much riskier proposition for women and men.

Twitter’s having fun with this, especially the convenient exception being made to the rule that men (especially men in power) have no skin in the abortion game and would do well to stay out of it. I think it’s a marvel of candor in how willing it is to justify killing on the flimsiest, most selfish grounds. Most abortion warriors blanch at the accusation that they’re willing to flush a human life out of pure inconvenience; they’ll tell you how dangerous pregnancy can be, how expensive treatment is, how it limits women’s job opportunities for nine months, etc. Carrying to term is a momentous and risky ordeal, they want you to understand, so that the balance of equities in the “abort or not to abort” conundrum seems a bit more even. Not this guy. He gives you some of the traditional reasons in his post to oppose abortion regulations, but if those don’t sell you, just think of the bottom line: You might get less ass. What red-blooded American male would oppose a trip to Dr. Gosnell’s office for some feet-harvesting if those are the stakes?

In other news today, a couple that was considering aborting their baby with Down’s Syndrome changed their minds when they got calls from hundreds upon hundreds of couples who were willing to adopt it. Exit question via David Freddoso: How do the famously amorous French deal with the prospect of reduced nookie due to stricter abortion laws? The legal cut-off there in most circumstances is just 12 weeks.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

. But hey, can’t make sense out of nonsense. Rant on!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 10, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Seems others understood. Some people just are not too bright. So sorry for ya.

CW on July 10, 2013 at 10:19 PM

This is from a Texas man? Yeech!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 10, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Teasippers are to Texas men as Sheila Jackson-Lee is to space exploration scholars.

Even Texas cannot grow fine men in such a barren chunk of land as Austin.

cozmo on July 10, 2013 at 8:00 PM

He’s from NY.

He probably has an impressive My Little Pony collection.

workingclass artist on July 10, 2013 at 10:21 PM

What absolute drivel, AP! One can only say abortion is selfishness if you think a fetus is something whose concerns should be taken more seriously than the basil plant in my front yard. I ripped two leaves from the basil for supper. No doubt, the sundering of the two leaves caused it as much fantasy pain as the “pro-life” fantasy pain of an abortion to a fetus.

I love my basil plant much more than some fetus I have never meet, but I wouldn’t feel particularly guilty about using it for pesto tomorrow.

Let me be clear that I truly do love the plants in my garden. I am not comparing a fetus to something worthless. The holiness of basil is revealed by the name basil itself. Basil derives from a Latin word meaning holy.

He’s from NY.

He probably has an impressive My Little Pony collection.

workingclass artist on July 10, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Hahahahaha!!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 10, 2013 at 10:41 PM

I don’t understand why the left insist on butchering defenseless, small black children. They are so heartless. The only thing that seems to matters to them is getting laid.

Kjeil on July 10, 2013 at 10:46 PM

thuja on July 10, 2013 at 10:28 PM

You are a very unwell person.

Cindy Munford on July 10, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Cindy Munford on July 10, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Trying to be a shock jock. For the attention.

a capella on July 10, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Damnable cowards. People like those two shouldn’t be allowed to reproduce.

mrsknightley on July 10, 2013 at 10:59 PM

thuja on July 10, 2013 at 10:28 PM

ripping leaves from your basil plant doesn’t kill it. You say you love your basil plant. Would you walk outside and rip the whole thing up, never to have it again?

[kind of wonder why I'm indulging, but hey, it's late.]

alwaysfiredup on July 10, 2013 at 11:40 PM

This just confirms something I’ve thought true for many years – legal abortion has nothing to do with women’s rights and everything to do with enabling men to more efficiently seduce women and avoid the consequences of casual sexual activity.

dkmonroe on July 10, 2013 at 11:41 PM

thuja on July 10, 2013 at 10:28 PM

The sundering of your piss-ugly face with a blunt machete would be about equal to the pain of the innocent you scorn, libtard.

MelonCollie on July 10, 2013 at 11:42 PM

@ReturnTo1776

Boys are #BroChoice. Men are #BroLife.

Axe on July 11, 2013 at 12:14 AM

You are a very unwell person.

Cindy Munford on July 10, 2013 at 10:46 PM

She’s not ‘unwell’-she’s evil.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 11, 2013 at 12:19 AM

A human fetus is a human being. Someone else can take it from there…

bmmg39 on July 11, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Allahpundit

thuja on July 10, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Touche … ya got me, pal ….. nailed me dead nuts right-on.
I believe an unborn baby (“fetus”, to you) “is something someone whose concerns should be taken more seriously than the basil any plant in my front yard anywhere.”

Uhhh, no ….. huh uh.

thuja on July 10, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Thank you for your honesty ….. I guess.

thuja on July 10, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Ok, but a pro-created human life in the womb still has much more value than anything non-human. Period.

listens2glenn on July 11, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Allahpundit

Damnable cowards. People like those two shouldn’t be allowed to reproduce.

mrsknightley on July 10, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Some clarity needed please ….. are they cowards because they were ‘considering abortion,’ or because they ‘changed their minds?’

listens2glenn on July 11, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Funny I remember when Allahpundit was a pro choice. Pressure from the new ownership or was the original replaced?

Pablo Honey on July 11, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Pablo Honey on July 11, 2013 at 1:49 AM

When a Republican changes their mind to the ‘left side’ on some issue, the leftist journalists, commentators, and bloggers all hail this person as “having matured”, or “having become enlightened”.
That’s what I would say about Allahpundit.
I’m hitting the bed, so I won’t reply any more tonight.

listens2glenn on July 11, 2013 at 2:09 AM

Seems others understood. Some people just are not too bright. So sorry for ya.

CW on July 10, 2013 at 10:19 PM

True. I tend to swing between “not too bright”, “uppity”, and “Old Soldier”. Oddly, you don’t mention others here who are also trying to figure out exactly what your point was, as it was in response to non-black kooks yelling “F— the church” and “Hail Satan”. Better luck next time.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 11, 2013 at 5:24 AM

The former. And this is coming from someone who was told to abort a Trisomy-13 baby and didn’t.

May they rot in hell.

mrsknightley on July 11, 2013 at 6:53 AM

thuja on July 10, 2013 at 10:28 PM

You are a very unwell person.

Cindy Munford on July 10, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I was assuming it was sarcasm. How could even a liberal, who stipulates he recognizes a plant is alive, think less than that of a human? And as someone noted, plants can grow new leaves.

If s/he was serious, well, what can I say? The cult of Moloch has a very long history. The evil have been trying to kill babies just about as long as there have been babies. It’s easier now; you don’t even have to cast bronze braziers shaped like golden calves to get the job done anymore.

Dirty Creature on July 11, 2013 at 7:08 AM

thuja on July 10, 2013 at 10:28 PM

You are a very unwell person.

Cindy Munford on July 10, 2013 at 10:46 PM

That’s an understatement.

kingsjester on July 11, 2013 at 7:45 AM

As somebody who was born, I think I have a pertinent point of view on whether other babies should be allowed the same right as well.

Othniel on July 11, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Most are skanks with needle tracks. Who wants them ugly children anyway.

RdLake on July 11, 2013 at 8:01 AM

We need to stand with women in their fight to control their own bodies…

You gotta be kidding? This guy’s afraid that, if the bill passes, he’s gonna have to go back to jurking off? Well so be it….go blind, my friend! (h/t to Dos Equis)

olesparkie on July 11, 2013 at 8:01 AM

So, five MONTHS of abortion on demand, is “essentially inaccessible”?

Speechless.

Rebar on July 10, 2013 at 7:36 PM

You and me both. Jeez Louise. Someone needs a gray cell transplant.

dogsoldier on July 11, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Yeah. This Christian has just about had it with the liberal “Christians” among us. In my experience, they always, ALWAYS put “social justice” above Jesus. Most of them don’t even believe in basics like Jesus rose from the dead. And the Bible? Psssshhawww, they don’t have much use for it.

I think the Communist Manifesto is their Bible. That and Rules for Radicals. Heh.

Grace_is_sufficient on July 10, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I look at the Sojourners blog often, and I have those suspicions as well. And their churches often aren’t really churches, but social clubs full of liberals.

22044 on July 11, 2013 at 8:18 AM

You might get less a**.

Ummmmm. If so, abortion is not the medical issue you should be worrying about.

thuja on July 10, 2013 at 10:28 PM

And that is the sickness that inhabits the souls of the pro-abort crowd. (Those that advocate, not those who have believed the lies of the advocates.)

GWB on July 11, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Oh, yeah! Let’s keep doing 75-80,000 abortions a year in Texas, so Ben can hook up for casual sex at his convenience!
This guy is a human equivalent to a eyeless, vestigial wing fruit fly strain I remember from my old genetics lab days. Because they couldn’t see any of the visual signals and couldn’t fly, so all they would do is hop around, trying to have sex with ANYTHING they bump into, in any orientation. VERY LOW success rate.

As far as not having ‘any skin in the game, let me quote from my testimony in Austin:

“First of all, I suppose I should apologize for my gender to some of those with an opposing view. Apparently men are not supposed to have ANY say whether a child is born or not, We are constantly told “Well, who is going to take care of all these unwanted children?”
To that I say- Parents do. Being a parent is not about biology as it is about attitude. I know this because I have adopted 3 ‘unwanted’ children myself- ones about as far from my biologically as I think you could get, but they are very much my kids. They come from an environment of support where the very WORST orphanage in Texas would seem like a paradise to them. Winnie, Irene and Godfrey all reside in Uganda and- unlike many- sponsors of children’s charities- I HAVE taken on ALL the duties of fatherhood with them. Including everything from yelling at Irene on the phone as a stubborn teenager, to going and seeing Winnie graduate from College in her wheelchair (Where I introduced a massive tent of Lungandan parents to what a VERY LOUD Texas “YEE-HA!” sounds like when Winnie’s name was called). Winnie works now for a charity giving hope to other poor and handicapped folks; Irene studies hard for the SAT, Godfrey excels as he finishes middle school; I could not be prouder of all of them.
I could go on about my kids like any parent can, but we are here to discuss abortion; more importantly this specific bill dealing with abortion….. “

michaelo on July 11, 2013 at 8:37 AM

I’ve always said abortion is legal because of leftist “men” wanting to shirk basic responsibility.

Ben Sherman is a proud progressive and has been a BOR staff writer since 2011. A current undergraduate at the University of Texas, Ben has worked as the Communications Coordinator of the Bill White gubernatorial campaign and interned for ThinkProgress.

And this piece of garbage is Exhibit A. Why not go all the way, Ben, and advocate infanticide? Because nothing kills a buzz more than having to take care of a kid. Don’t be such a pu$$y.

MNHawk on July 11, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Pablo Honey on July 11, 2013 at 1:49 AM

I think a lot of people grudgingly are pro choice early in a pregnancy, but draw the line at some point. Most do at 20 weeks, unless they’re sick beyond redemption.

This issue really flushes out the out and out savages in our culture.

MNHawk on July 11, 2013 at 8:52 AM

I think, if I wanted an example of how the pro-choice movement reflected everything that was wrong with our society, I would be hard-pressed to find a better example than this sentence.

morganfrost on July 11, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Seek help soon. You are ill.

Bmore on July 11, 2013 at 9:05 AM

He says that as if it’s a BAD thing.

Cleombrotus on July 11, 2013 at 9:14 AM

morganfrost on July 11, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Beat me to it, but it jumps right out at you, doesn’t it?

Cleombrotus on July 11, 2013 at 9:15 AM

thuja on July 10, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Wow, I sure wish thuja lived near me so I could drive my F-350 through his basil patch. He might actually have some real human “feelings” then.

kirkill on July 11, 2013 at 9:38 AM

thuja on July 10, 2013 at 10:28 PM

You’re just trolling us, right?

The_Jacobite on July 11, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Y’all, our friend Ben Sherman is back to.tell us that we all hate sex.

Vera on July 11, 2013 at 9:50 AM

May they rot in hell.

mrsknightley on July 11, 2013 at 6:53 AM

You do realize, I hope, that praying for another soul’s eternal damnation puts you in direct opposition to the second greatest commandment. Hopefully the Guy who makes the final call on these matters is more forgiving when He judges your sin than you would have Him be towards this couple.

RINO in Name Only on July 11, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Pablo Honey on July 11, 2013 at 1:49 AM

When was this? He’s definitely been pro-life for years at least, and I don’t remember any time he wasn’t. Do you have a specific example?

RINO in Name Only on July 11, 2013 at 9:58 AM

So basically abortion is the best thing to ever happen to irresponsible, horny boys with no self control or self respect.

So what’s new?

CurtZHP on July 11, 2013 at 10:04 AM

You’re just trolling us, right?

The_Jacobite on July 11, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Probably, but the sad thing is that you can’t be sure. I’m seeing arguments similar to this raging on Twitter, with all seriousness. Here are some choice quotes from one person I chose to engage last night. He was civil, but still used absolutely vile arguments.

Why should a person be forced to let another being camp out in her body for 9 months? (& risk her life doing so)

Secondly, in no other circumstance do we force someone to let another person ‘piggyback’ off their body’s resources. Why should we here? (Assuming you consider the fetus a person, which for the first few months of pregnancy is dubious.)

Inconvenience? Are you KIDDING me? Pregnancies can KILL people, dude. Or leave them with lasting health problems. And I’m not talking about a case of the sniffles, either. I’m talking about CRIPPLING health problems.

Except that there’s no such thing as a safe pregnancy.

Fatalities from live births = 14X more than fatalities from abortions

So, essentially, his argument boils down to the notion that unborn babies are parasites who can be snuffed out with no more thought than taking an antibiotic, and that abortion is actually a beneficial medical procedure because pregnancy is inherently unsafe.

This is the mindset of the pro-abortion crowd.

Shump on July 11, 2013 at 10:18 AM

RINO in Name Only on July 11, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Eh, people are piling on me for that in the other thread. C’mon over and play if you want.

mrsknightley on July 11, 2013 at 10:33 AM

thuja on July 10, 2013 at 10:28 PM

You are truly an evil person. God have mercy on your soul.

zoyclem on July 11, 2013 at 11:44 AM

mrsknightley on July 11, 2013 at 10:33 AM

What you consider piling on is merely compassionate entreaty in hopes you could unburden yourself of what the enemy would use to ruin your heart.
This could be the best day of your life so far.
Honest.

pambi on July 11, 2013 at 12:45 PM

May they rot in hell.

mrsknightley on July 11, 2013 at 6:53 AM

Sheez. Birth parents give life; baby gets good home; adoptive parents get baby to love. Seems like an all-around win to me. But hey, what do atheists know? I’ll give the birth parents a hug when they get to hell. (?????)

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 11, 2013 at 1:02 PM

For those of us guys who like girls — you know, like them like them

Selfish pig just wants to get laid with no consequences.

John the Libertarian on July 11, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Men used to say the same thing about condoms. If a man were at all concerned about the woman’s fear, then perhaps they should not be engaging in the activity.

The thought of my lady partner having any type of abortion would kill the vibe for me. How many men are thinking about aborting a fetus prior to engaging in coitus? Is thinking of “safe-legal” abortion prior to sex an aphrodisiac for liberal men? That’s the “vibe” I get from this statement.

Can you think of anything that would turn a liberal male on more than a woman having a government funded legal abortion at any point of her pregnancy? Sick.

There’s the liberal money line. There must be absolutely no responsibility for one’s own actions.

weaselyone on July 12, 2013 at 9:26 AM

yawn, abortion wars are back in full swing. didn’t the last elections settled this? or are the repubs working in scaring away the female vote early in the election cycle?

nathor on July 15, 2013 at 3:43 AM