Rick Perry: I’m not running for reelection in 2014

posted at 4:01 pm on July 8, 2013 by Allahpundit

Despite Wendy Davis’s best efforts to hand him a walkover victory for a fourth term, he’s decided to leave politics.

For now.

Perry has served as governor since 2000, when then-Gov. George W. Bush (R) became president. Perry was elected to full terms in 2002, 2006 and 2010.

Perry also alluded to a potential 2016 presidential run, saying he will “pray and reflect and work to determine my own future path.”

Since his 2012 presidential bid floundered – capped off by his “oops” moment at a presidential debate — Perry has eyed a second run.

“Any future considerations I will announce in due time, and I will arrive at that decision appropriately,” he said.

The next governor of Texas, barring something unusual happening, will be state AG Greg Abbott. Question: If Perry has his eye on another presidential run, why retire now in order to run in 2016 rather than run as a sitting governor? Lots of answers to that — he can rest up, take time to organize, control his own agenda in a way that an incumbent can’t — but here’s a smart one from lefty Benjy Sarlin:

I’d expect Christie to have the inside track on Wall Street money given his regional pedigree, except that … Christie will be bound by this same rule, unless he turns around and resigns as governor less than halfway into his new term. (Romney, in fact, sounded Christie out for VP last year by asking him if he’d be willing to resign so that this rule would be lifted.) Hard for me to believe that a guy known as a red-meat conservative who flamed out spectacularly in 2012 will be the choice of New York Republicans in a field that might include Jeb Bush and/or Marco Rubio, but if you’re looking for a candidate who’s good for business and the economy, can’t argue against RP.

What’s his niche in the primaries if he does run, though? Conventional wisdom says 2016 will be a “fresh faces” election for the GOP. After last year’s dismal field and the next-in-line nomination of McCain in 2008, the party’s supposedly going to counter the “old news” that is Hillary with a young up-and-comer — Rubio, Jindal, Rand Paul, Christie, maybe Paul Ryan. The argument for Perry in a field like that is executive experience and economic growth, but those strike me as better credentials for a general election than for a primary. He’ll be to 2016 what Mitt Romney was to 2012, the guy who underperformed his first time out and is back now for a second look, except facing a vastly stronger array of opponents. I don’t think he ends up as the establishment choice, either: That’ll be either Jeb, which would detonate the “fresh faces” logic, or Rubio, who’s carried so much water lately for pro-amnesty interests inside the Beltway and on Wall Street. Perry strikes me as the kinda sorta solid candidate who’s a strong back-up in case everyone else is unacceptable — again, just like Romney four years ago — but what state will the party have arrived at if everyone else in what looks to be a strong field has crumbled by 2016? We’re not going to need a back-up in 2016. Are we?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

no, it wasnt a legitimate problem at all. it was concern trolling.

chasdal on July 8, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Of course it is when you start out like this:

Good. I’m a Texas citizen and have voted for Perry but I do have my issues with him especially his love for imminent domain and the NAFTA superhighway.

MoreLiberty on July 8, 2013 at 2:20 PM

which is proof positive of whta an idiot you are.

chasdal on July 8, 2013 at 2:38 PM

and as i stated he backed off when the public didnt want to follow in that direction.

chasdal on July 8, 2013 at 5:31 PM

You give it to him both ways.

You cheer him when he uses eminent domain and you give him the credit when he backs off.

As I wrote, with over twenty years of statewide elected office, the only people who don’t have a problem with him are the Kool-aid” drinkers.

Were you fine with his Gardasil EO?

cozmo on July 8, 2013 at 5:42 PM

In 2016, it will be up to the rank-and-file of the Republican Party as to who will be the nominee.
Now, some may prefer Cruz over Perry, and there is support for other flavors too.
But, the R&F will choose, and we will go into the election with the nominee we have, and not necessarily with the nominee we prefer – we just have to make sure that the choice is ours, and not Karl Rove’s and the WSJ’s.

Another Drew on July 8, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Had to be his best speech evah.

here

Cleombrotus on July 8, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Er, a choice between Rubio, Christie, Santorum, and Jeb Bush looks pretty pathetic to me. Strong field, my hind quarters.

I could live with Rand, but I’m not enthusiastic. I like Cruz, but he lacks executive experience.

Perry’s my guy.

DRayRaven on July 8, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Capital Hogbreath on July 8, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Still runnin’ on empty, eh, hogbreath?

Don’t you leftists ever get tired of saying stupid things?

Solaratov on July 8, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Um, AP, please let me correct that:

The argument for Jindal in a field like that is executive experience and economic growth.

Not to mention for making a blue state red.

Not to mention for making a corrupt state clean.

Not to mention an end to the parade of old White guys we always run.

itsnotaboutme on July 8, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Perry is not quitting. He serving out his term. The dude has been Governor of Texas all my adult life.

terryannonline on July 8, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Which is why Taming the Shrew will be difficult. Her cult of personality will not allow her a less than regal station.

Capitalist Hog on July 8, 2013 at 5:55 PM

“No, I don’t support a fence on the border,” he said, while referring to the long border in Texas alone. “The fact is, it’s 1,200 miles from Brownsville to El Paso. Two things: How long you think it would take to build that? And then if you build a 30-foot wall from El Paso to Brownsville, the 35-foot ladder business gets real good.”

Wow! I’ll bet the Israelis never thought about that.

That’s probably why 34 people managed to get past their fence last year (a reduction of 99%).

Solaratov on July 8, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I hope Perry runs against Cornyn and Greg Abbott runs for Governor.

The Democrats will run some radical like Castro but actually be backing Dewhurst to try to “win” with incremental change.

batterup on July 8, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Friggin’ Perry. He should have been the nominee in 2012. If he hadnt made that one stupid gaffe….and might i say, it would have had zero effect on any Democrat in their primary, and it would have been forgotten if the establishment wasnt afraid he could take out Romney.

I said it then and ill say it now, Romney was absolutely the PERFECT candidate for Obama to run against. Any one with some conservative street cred and the ability to make Obamacare an issue would have won.

What does it matter now…..he missed his window. I cant imagine a scenario in which he is a front runner in 2016, even with his obvious experience as an executive.

2016 is going to be interesting.

alecj on July 8, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Wow! I’ll bet the Israelis never thought about that.

Solaratov on July 8, 2013 at 5:55 PM

That’s why it should be electrified too!

slickwillie2001 on July 8, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Perry doesn’t come with the sweet sweet smell of apostasy that Jindal, Rubio, Rand Paul, and Chris Christie have, though. He hasn’t spent the last two years telling the liberal media what they want to hear about Republicans so he can be lauded as one of the good ones.

jas88 on July 8, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I don’t think Perry stands a chance of being nominated to run against her with the “stupid” rep following him around. I’d look for a relatively new face, e.g. Rand Paul or the like.

whatcat on July 8, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Trouble is, the “stupid” rep was almost totally media generated. Remember when they called it a “gaffe” that he said Turkey was governed by “Islamist terrorists”? In hindsight, who was “stupid”? The rulers in Turkey are about to have an Egyptian style awakening if they’re not careful.

jffree1 on July 8, 2013 at 6:14 PM

One person I won’t be voting for is George P. Bush for land commissioner. Jeb’s spawn moved here from Florida because he feels any race he runs in will be a cakewalk.

Abbott’s a great guy and has overcome a lot of obstacles. He’s been in a wheelchair since he was 26 and has never let that stop him.

TxAnn56 on July 8, 2013 at 5:38 PM

True that.

I like Abbott a lot and I hope we have a s good a conservative Atty. Gen. when Abbott becomes Governor.

I’m sick of the Bush family dynasty.

workingclass artist on July 8, 2013 at 6:37 PM

We moved to Texas partially because of Rick Perry’s leadership. While I’m sorry to see him go-Run for president in ’16, Rick!-Greg Abbot is gonna be one h*ll of a governor!

annoyinglittletwerp on July 8, 2013 at 6:41 PM

I hope Perry runs against Cornyn and Greg Abbott runs for Governor.

batterup on July 8, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Abbott will run for governor of Texas…He’s already got a nice campaign fund goin.

I don’t think Perry will run against Cornyn because what’s the point of that…Cruz keeps Cornyn right.

I think Perry will have a 2 year jump to meet people,prepare and gain support before he officially announces.

He’ll run on a conservative platform focused on the economy,States Rights and a stable conservative foreign policy.

workingclass artist on July 8, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Trouble is, the “stupid” rep was almost totally media generated.

The man did not know his own platform. He showed up to debates under the influence. He was the lush of 2012.

Capitalist Hog on July 8, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Capitalist Hog on July 8, 2013 at 6:44 PM

I am a die hard Perry supporter but I will concede that he should not have gotten in that race so late or so soon after back surgery. He was not then and never has been a “lush”.

jffree1 on July 8, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Leftist Pig

Bmore on July 8, 2013 at 4:36 PM

With incredibly stinky and poor troll bait.

Do not want.

kim roy on July 8, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Congrats Gov. Perry who did an excellent job as Governor..I wish him well in the future..:)

Dire Straits on July 8, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Congrats to Gov. Perry who did an excellent job as Governor..I wish him well in the future..:)

Dire Straits on July 8, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Fixed..:)

Dire Straits on July 8, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Perry quitting is a good thing. No matter if you love him or hate him All Americans should agree that 3 terms is more than enough time in office for anyone. kudos to Perry for giving up power freely. Wish more of our politicians would quit.

unseen on July 8, 2013 at 7:15 PM

jffree1 on July 8, 2013 at 6:51 PM

agreed on all points. think he might have been on some pain meds in a couple of those debates.

unseen on July 8, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Perry is also a successor of George W. Bush.

This is why Perry would be so strong…he also inherited a George Bush economy.

Looking at that list, Perry is the polar opposite of Obama. We’re going to need that.

monalisa on July 8, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Well that settles it for me: I am officially on the Rick Perry 2016 bandwagon!

Jack_Burton on July 8, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Capitalist Hog on July 8, 2013 at 6:44 PM

You’re an idiot.

And stupid, to boot.

Solaratov on July 8, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Perry should have run again.

As a presidential candidate he absolutely stinks. He was an embarrassment.

bluegill on July 8, 2013 at 8:01 PM

unseen on July 8, 2013 at 7:15 PM

He is not quitting. He is serving out his term.

DRayRaven on July 8, 2013 at 8:03 PM

This news breaks my heart. I just got back from Fort Worth, TX yesterday. What a beautiful state! I instantly felt the difference between liberal “leadership” vs. Conservative leadership when I walked out of O’Hare. Words cannot express it. I was hoping he was going to serve another term. I’m not on the “Term-limits bandwagon”. My thing is if you doing your state right and doing your job, you can run for as many terms as you like. Let the people decide.

Conservative Independent on July 8, 2013 at 8:04 PM

He is not quitting. He is serving out his term.

DRayRaven on July 8, 2013 at 8:03 PM

+ 100..:)

Dire Straits on July 8, 2013 at 8:05 PM

unseen on July 8, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Perry is NOT quitting. The one who quit was Palin.

bluegill on July 8, 2013 at 8:07 PM

bluegill on July 8, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Oh look, the number one idiot Perry-hatin’ nutball has chimed in.

Is it coincidence that she is also the the number one idiot Palin-hatin’ nutball?

cozmo on July 8, 2013 at 8:12 PM

I’d support Perry in a New York minute.
I think Hillary will have problems especially if midterms turn out the way I would like and things flip in conservative favor.

I pray for it.

seesalrun2 on July 8, 2013 at 8:23 PM

He’ll make a good VP for Palin.

Palin / Perry 2016

ChuckTX on July 8, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Perry is NOT quitting. The one who quit was Palin.

bluegill on July 8, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Now you’ve done it.
unseen was fishing for someone to mention Palin.

DRayRaven on July 8, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Now you’ve done it.
unseen was fishing for someone to mention Palin.

DRayRaven on July 8, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Yeah, fishing. Which is why he specifically used “quit”. As if serving three terms and not running for a 4th is equivalent to not serving out one.

Marcus on July 8, 2013 at 8:56 PM

As a Texan, I generally like Perry, though take exception to some of his actions (as I did with Bush), yet I’m not overly excited at the prospect of him running in 2016. His performance last time was abysmal.

That said, it’ll depend on who else is running, and generally what the GOP does between now and then. If the GOP allows amnesty to pass, I don’t care who it is – that party will not get my vote.

Midas on July 8, 2013 at 9:04 PM

bluegill on July 8, 2013 at 8:01 PM

You’re an embarrassment.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 8, 2013 at 9:39 PM

cozmo on July 8, 2013 at 5:42 PM

I never cheered eminent domain. I pointed out it is a constitutionally approved method of acquiring land and then I pointed out no one can hold a grudge against Perry for proposing it and backing off when there was no support. that’s a good thing. if you didn’t lke the corridor idea you should be praising Perry. to not is to be a friggin idiot.

why you are obsessed with his length of time as an elected official is beyond me. he has done a great job. and Gardasil was a bad move, but once again well within the powers of the Gov. and once again when he realized it was not wht the people wanted he pulled back. and in both cases THE ISSUES ARE DEAD. he hasn’t tried to keep pushing them down our throat like most pols do.

so to sum up, you and the OP have NO serious criticism. its boils down to “he proposed an idea I didn’t like and when he realized the public didn’t like it he stopped” and “he’s been an elected official too long” i’m betting the real animosity stems from being part of that crew that blames perry for “her” not running. that he lied to “her”.

chasdal on July 8, 2013 at 9:56 PM

As a presidential candidate he absolutely stinks. He was an embarrassment.

bluegill on July 8, 2013 at 8:01 PM

…go drown yourself!

KOOLAID2 on July 8, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Perry is NOT quitting. The one who quit was Palin.

bluegill on July 8, 2013 at 8:07 PM

….twice!

KOOLAID2 on July 8, 2013 at 9:58 PM

ChuckTX on July 8, 2013 at 8:29 PM

yeah, keep holding on to the dream. she will NEVER run for an elected office again.

chasdal on July 8, 2013 at 9:59 PM

He’ll make a good VP for Palin.
Palin / Perry 2016
ChuckTX on July 8, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I would like a ticket that isn’t a couple of doofuses, if you don’t mind.

bluegill on July 8, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Solaratov on July 8, 2013 at 5:55 PM

that quote is taken out of context. there was more in that statement referring to more boots on the ground and strategic fencing. i’d like to know what strategic fencing is. I know one problem w/ the texas border is there are areas that are so rough you would have to spend millions ot build temporary infrastructure to build the fence. those areas are so barren and wild no one crosses so a fence isn’t needed.

chasdal on July 8, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Thank you Gov Perry for a job well done in Texas!

Perry is definitely running for president. With his résumé, fund raising abilities, and a head start on campaigning, he is going to be the dominat force in 2016. No other Republican candidate will be able to get any oxygen, and Obama will leave the Dems in utter disarray. A conservative can win when he is not afraid to admit he is a conservative. There will still be some surprises along the way, but 2016 is looking good right now.

bitsy on July 8, 2013 at 10:03 PM

bluegill on July 8, 2013 at 9:59 PM

so who than? Romney again? McCain again? Christie?? yeah, one of these days a moderate is gonna bridge that gap!!

chasdal on July 8, 2013 at 10:03 PM

The Real Rick Perry, the former Democrat, the LBJ made one, all down with http://www.corridorwatch.com .

It got so bad here in Texas when he tried to ram that sell the state roads to a Spanish Toll Road company, they had to send state troopers and the Texas Rangers to the meetings on the deal to keep the real Texans from over throwing the State Goverment.

Little old ladies who were 10th generation ranchers came to the meetings with guns and told them,,, “You will get my land after you kill me and this gun will be in my dead hands.”

He is not smart.

He is a fake.

He made the deal and Rudy Gullianie the big east coast lawyer was in the deal with him.

Just another Bush bumbkin on the make.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on July 8, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Thank you Gov Perry for a job well done in Texas!
bitsy on July 8, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Um, except for the fact that in 2011 he ran the most embarrassing, incompetent campaign for president ever. He came off like a bumbling doofus, and he floundered badly. He came in 5th in Iowa after spending a lot of time and money there, and then he couldn’t even crack 1 percent in NH.

Guys, you’re pumping a dry well with Perry.

For a conservative Texan who isn’t a doofus and who can actually perform under pressure, look to Ted Cruz.

bluegill on July 8, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Did Texas state spending increase above the rate of inflation during his terms?

Sorry he’s not a committed limited govt Conservative.

PappyD61 on July 8, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Too,

The Gov. of Texas is a weak office, only real power is appointments powers.

He has stacked all the Texas State comm. with his buddies and in turn they turn out the votes for him via the R (rino) party leadership. The real power is with the skank David Deworst , the one Ted Cruz and we real conservatives kicked to the curb.

Rick is just a dumb as goat farmer from Paint Rock Tx. who has been used by the rich oilies and road construction companies to line their pockets with our tax money.

Some of us think he is not all that nice to his wife, if you know what we Texans think…

APACHEWHOKNOWS on July 8, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Check out the goings on regard the Gov. mansion in Austin burning up when some how the security got turned off just at the right time.

Gov. Perry then rented him a big time digs out in the country where he had total control and we tax payers picked up his tab.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on July 8, 2013 at 10:36 PM

So, any response to Rick the Toll Road sell out stuff.?

APACHEWHOKNOWS on July 8, 2013 at 10:42 PM

APACHEWHOKNOWS on July 8, 2013 at 10:36 PM

The governor’s mansion was an inside job! //s

Rick Perry already has truthers. LoL.

bitsy on July 8, 2013 at 10:56 PM

I would like a ticket that isn’t a couple of doofuses, if you don’t mind.

bluegill on July 8, 2013 at 9:59 PM

…just double down…on yourself!

KOOLAID2 on July 8, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Conservative Independent on July 8, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Perry has been a good conservative governor…He’s had a remarkable career in Texas Politics. The son of a cotton farmer has come far…no doubt about it.

Abbott will be a great conservative governor as he’s been a great Atty. General.

Thanks for your kind words about our great state…Texas has good people.

I hope Gov. Perry runs in 2016 and will be able to govern America back toward her natural state of prosperity,confidence & optimism. We need serious reform in Congress,the Executive…and to choose constitutional conservative justices. We have a good start in the senate with Cruz and Lee. We have some good people in congress with Gowdy,Gohmert and Sessions etc. It’s going to take a while to recover because the democrats have reeked havoc…but we can recover.

workingclass artist on July 8, 2013 at 10:59 PM

The governor’s mansion was an inside job! //s

Rick Perry already has truthers. LoL.

bitsy on July 8, 2013 at 10:56 PM

*snicker*

workingclass artist on July 8, 2013 at 11:04 PM

He is not quitting. He is serving out his term.

DRayRaven on July 8, 2013 at 8:03 PM

hmmm he is serving out his term then quitting.

It’s like a freaking dogwhistle. which just shows how much power the MSM has in brainwashing you people.

quit
1 [kwit] Show IPA verb, quit or quit·ted, quit·ting, adjective

verb (used with object)
to stop, cease, or discontinue: he quit what he was doing to help me paint the house.

to depart from; leave (a place or person): They quit the city for the seashore every summer.

to give up or resign; let go; relinquish: He quit his claim to the throne. She quit her job.

to release one’s hold of (something grasped).

to acquit or conduct (oneself).

So which definition of quit doesn’t fit what Perry is doing? words do mean things. I used the correct term. The point of my post is I wish more politicians would quit/ give up power freely. It’s a good thing when it comes to politics for them to leave, go away, retire, quit, resign, go home and spend time with the family, whatever the hell you want to call it. Politicians should serve the people for a little while, complete their campaign promises, leave the city, state, country better off then how they found it then leave/quit/go the hell home. This belief that politicians should hold office for 10, 20 30, 40 years is THE PROBLEM with our country today.

My respect for Perry went up today because he decided to hang it up and ride off into the sunset. Hope he has a good retirement. He did a pretty good job from the numbers. He had his faults, he sucked as a candidate in 2012 but all and all he left his state better off then when he took the position. I’m glad he is quitting, retiring, leaving the stage. Any time a politician that has been in office for a generation leaves office freely is a good day for freedom and self rule.

unseen on July 8, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Gov. Perry’s strong suite is his over one million hits on YouTube, he is pure comedy gold!

smokin hot politics on July 8, 2013 at 11:25 PM

…if you’re looking for a candidate who’s good for business and the economy, can’t argue against RP.

Yet, they will.

It’s not like it’s that difficult. Perry’s had a job boom, but how much is he responsible for? He didn’t cause petroleum prices to skyrocket. And the other oft-tauted sector, construction, has been largely fueled by “independent contractors,” i.e., illegal immigrants. That might be good for folks who want cheap houses, but for citizen workers, it’s been a major blow. If Perry actually tried to enforce immigration laws rather than actively ignoring them under the guise of a “free market,” the raw numbers might not be as rosy, but it would be a heck of a lot better for the citizens of Texas.

calbear on July 8, 2013 at 11:40 PM

unseen on July 8, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Sorry, but Perry isn’t a quitter like your cult’s leader Sarah Palin.

Palin quit before even completing a single term in office. That was pretty embarrassing. Perry completed multiple terms. There is no comparison.

bluegill on July 8, 2013 at 11:54 PM

This I know to be true, I won’t be listening to Fox News, Gallup, Rasmussen & Karl Rove to tell me who is winning the 2016 race. Well, perhaps I can, as a counter reference point!

sunshinek67 on July 9, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Guys, you’re pumping a dry well with Perry.

bluegill on July 8, 2013 at 10:24 PM

If an unsuccessful primary campaign forever bars one from ever being the Republican nominee than how did we get John McCain, Mitt Romney, or Ronald Reagan?

Yes, his debate performance was painful in the last go around, and he got into the race a bit late. If anything, the debate gaffe helps him this time around by lowering expectations. Also, Perry knows how to make good use of self deprecating humor after a stumble which makes him more human and like able.

I like Ted Cruz, too. I donated to his campaign and convinced a lot of Dewhurst supporters to switch camps. I think Cruz would make an excellent Senate majority leader.

bitsy on July 9, 2013 at 12:11 AM

unseen on July 8, 2013 at 11:16 PM

If you quit, that means that you do not finish your contract; it means that you do not finish what you are doing. He is finishing his term. He is finishing what he is doing.

Only a Democrat/Statist would think that by not running for a fourth elected term (plus the half term that he finished out for President Bush) that he would be quitting. Only Democrats think that by not running for Emperor-For-Life (like FDR did over and over again) or like Hugo Chavez did, that somebody is quitting.

He is finishing his term. To quit would be to not finish out ones term. Stop trying to smear him as the media did Palin with that word. It is wholly inaccurate.

Theophile on July 9, 2013 at 1:17 AM

It is wholly inaccurate.

Theophile on July 9, 2013 at 1:17 AM

quit
1 [kwit] Show IPA verb, quit or quit·ted, quit·ting, adjective

verb (used with object)

to release one’s hold of (something grasped).

to acquit or conduct (oneself).

some days I wonder of the intelligence of people in general.

I do find it amazing that the MSM has brainwashed people to the point that if the word quit is used in connection with a politician anymore people automatically think of Palin. Anyone that doesn’t think the MSM has any power isn’t paying attention.

oh btw unlike most of those that responded to my post I never thought of Palin when I made my original post.

and for the record let me repeat. I think those politicians that quit under clear skies with no scandals are much better people and leaders than those that don’t.

Washington was the first politician that quit every other POTUS until FDR followed his lead and quit after 2 terms. FDR wouldn’t quit until they carried his corpse out of the oval office. We as a people like our politicians to quit so much we made an amendment after FDR to force them to quit.

Power corrupts the longer someone is in office the more corrupt he/she becomes.

The fact that Perry is walking away when all signs show he would probably win re-election easily is a very good feather in his cap as far as I’m concerned and speaks to his character. Anyone think Obama would walk away after two terms if not for the amendment forcing him too?

unseen on July 9, 2013 at 2:50 AM

bitsy on July 9, 2013 at 12:11 AM

As the 2012 run showed Perry will do ok if he runs in 2016 depending on the people he surrounds himself with. his campaign staff were idiots in 2012.

Cruz there is something about the man, I haven’t seen it much in leaders since Reagan. cruz I think will make an excellent majority leader,senator,govenor or POTUS. I don’t know if many on the stage today could compete with him. They just don’t see the world like Cruz does.

Sometimes it takes the ability to see the world not as it is but how it should be.

unseen on July 9, 2013 at 2:57 AM

How dumb is Rick Perry?

Dumb enough to let the Gov.’s mansion get burned down with only one persn on duty at the building the night it bruned.

Dumb enough to sleep his whole vote sluming life sucking up to nut job David Barton and his http://www.wallbuilders.com Bibble thumbing nut jobs.

Goes down on the border makes adds “I will close this border” with
his “Carhart Coat” on. During an election and then as soon as he is elected,”The Border is secure”.

A male Homeless Security for Obama given a chance…

Hope he does run and makes a national fool of himself one more time.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on July 9, 2013 at 3:21 AM

How dumb is Apachewhoknows’ post? Very.

Anyway, Perry is definitely my candidate of choice now. Second place is Rand Paul, although I think a Perry/Susana Martinez ticket would be the way to go.

Jack_Burton on July 9, 2013 at 3:40 AM

bitsy on July 9, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Perry’s 2012 campaign was worse than simply “unsuccessful.” It was a national embarrassment. Maybe one of the worst ever, when you consider the amount of money spent and how many votes he ended up getting. Seems that Perrry doesn’t play well outside Texas.

He is shockingly inarticulate and isn’t ready for national primetime… and may never be. He should stick to statewide elective office. Perhaps US senator?

bluegill on July 9, 2013 at 3:59 AM

An excellent move! As most QOTD’ians know, hes my first pick for next pub nominee. The engine is firing up! Now its time for my alternate pick to make a move. That too will happen.

tommy71 on July 9, 2013 at 4:16 AM

bluegill on July 9, 2013 at 3:59 AM

Well, if Perry runs another “shockingly bad, embarrassing” campaign, you have nothing to worry about, do you?

If having more time to get organized and not being hopped up on pain meds from back surgery makes him a better candidate this time around, we might get a fiscally (and socially, for you socons) conservative President with executive experience who knows something about how to get an economy moving…a President who respects the Constitution, individual liberty, and freedom…and a President who isn’t a national embarrassment or an inexperienced backbencher from the Senate.

I have no doubt in my mind Perry would have made a better President than anyone running in 2012. The same is likely to be true in 2016.

Yeah, and by the way…mentioning Palin in the same sentence as Perry is an insult. One served three terms as governor, the other quit before even serving one. One is likely leaving public office so he can serve the country in a greater capacity. The other quit for reality shows and FoxNews punditry. Maybe Palin will one day serve her country again, but it’s probably easier to be a media personality and snipe from the sidelines.

DRayRaven on July 9, 2013 at 6:36 AM

Ah this post feels like old times.

I missed the old HA.

gophergirl on July 9, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Looks like there is lots going on in Texas. Dallas for sure.
Seems we had a Watergate style break-in but no media will talk about it.
I’m shocked.

rodguy911 on July 9, 2013 at 8:02 AM

In other news, Obama announced that he WILL seek a third term as POTUS. When someone responded, “But you can’t do that.” He asked, “Why not?” To which came the reply, “Well, because the Constitution sets the term limit to — oh riiiiight.”

Lone Star on July 9, 2013 at 8:23 AM

I’m doubtful Perry can do much better, but if he does and proves me wrong, then great.

My two problems with Perry:
-could he win in the general?
-would he support amnesty? Remember his whole “then you don’t have a heart” answer?

Like with Palin, he makes me nervous when he’s speaking and doesn’t have a script to read from. In contrast, Ted Cruz does not make me nervous.

bluegill on July 9, 2013 at 8:26 AM

bluegill on July 9, 2013 at 3:59 AM

your ignorance is on display. listen to his speeches. he is very articulate, well spoken and has plenty to say.

chasdal on July 9, 2013 at 8:37 AM

hmmm he is serving out his term then quitting.

unseen on July 8, 2013 at 11:16 PM

good lord, you people will spin and twist like crazy!! he is not quitting. he is not running for another term. the two are not comparable regardless of how many dictionary entries you copy/paste.

chasdal on July 9, 2013 at 8:39 AM

AllahPundit on July 8, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Strong field???

Christie?

Jeb??

Rubio???

Or a balding one-term senator from TX????

THAT’s your idea of a strong field?

That’s my idea of desperation.

Chris of Rights on July 9, 2013 at 8:42 AM

The rumors of Perry’s staff working overtime to cleanup his uhhh…. “womanizing moments” remain endless, though few smoking guns are few.

rodguy911 on July 9, 2013 at 8:54 AM

gophergirl on July 9, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Hang in there!..The next couple of years could get interesting..In reading the tea leaves I think someone maybe looking at 2016 if you know what I mean..:)

PS..Good to see you..:)

Dire Straits on July 9, 2013 at 8:58 AM

rodguy911 on July 9, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Rick Perry has been Governor for almost three full terms…AG Commissioner for 2 terms…and a state legislator for 6 years…

And despite the liberals digging for trash there’s never been any substantiation to any of these scurrilous rumors that swirl in the liberal cesspool of Austin.

Reminds me of all those Palin e-mails…after reading them they revealed nothing substantial at all.

Political Opponents (Ron Paul nutcase extremist Robert Morrow) were so desperate they published an ad for strippers to come forward…and Morrow remonstrated Gays at the bottom of the ad for covering up for Perry. I guess Morrow was covering all the bases there…Alex Jones and his crazy ilk appreciate the efforts

Politics ain’t beanbags…But this kind of personal character assassination is beyond the pale…

Sheeesh!

workingclass artist on July 9, 2013 at 9:26 AM

My two problems with Perry:
-could he win in the general?

bluegill on July 9, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Perry doesn’t support amnesty…and he never has.

The two issues should be separate.

Border Security first enforced with common sense to stop the trafficking and the violent crime…which means boots on the ground and a smart and consistent utilization of LEO resources.

Obama has basically left the border open by ceasing deportation.

Perry always said what good is talking about immigration reform without a secure border…likening this to locking the backdoor of your house but leaving the front door wide open and hoping a burglar doesn’t walk in.

He’s also said what good is building a wall without proper security enforcement on that wall…all the illegal needs is a good ladder.

Liberals use immigration reform to equate this to amnesty.

Conservatives do not equate immigration reform to amnesty because that is rewarding criminal fraud and illegality of exploitation on both sides of the border.

workingclass artist on July 9, 2013 at 9:38 AM

although I think a Perry/Susana Martinez ticket would be the way to go.

Jack_Burton on July 9, 2013 at 3:40 AM

Agreed.

DRayRaven on July 9, 2013 at 6:36 AM

Yep.

Gov. Perry will expand his fund raising base outside of Texas in the next 18 months.

He’ll do that by selling The Texas Way Works, small government conservatism creates jobs across the nation by using that private foundation that’s been flying him to liberal states to recruit businesses to Texas.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he broadens that internationally to recruit business/manufacturing…cause France is bleeding.

After the special session is over he’ll have plenty of time to do that.

Yep.

workingclass artist on July 9, 2013 at 9:47 AM

video link to Texas Works film he showed before his July 8th announcement.

Looks like a preemptive national ad to me.

workingclass artist on July 9, 2013 at 9:51 AM

It was a good speech…excerpts

” We have better protected the right to life for Texas children and families, protected the sanctity of marriage, and respected the traditional values that made Texas the greatest state in the greatest nation on earth. We Texans are not afraid to fight for what we believe in.

Leadership demands action, developing new policies, challenging established interests, and finding better ways to finance and achieve success.

My conservative philosophy and policies have frequently made government agencies, special interests and even some legislators uncomfortable. But that’s exactly what Texas needs to succeed, innovate and stay ahead of the competition.

Most of all, I am proud of what we have done together to create jobs and opportunity in Texas.1.6 million jobs have been created in Texas since I became governor, with 30 percent of the net new jobs created in America over the last decade created right here in Texas…

Most of all, I am proud of what we have done together to create jobs and opportunity in Texas.1.6 million jobs have been created in Texas since I became governor, with 30 percent of the net new jobs created in America over the last decade created right here in Texas.

This is a tribute to the entrepreneurial spirit of Texans. It’s the private sector that creates wealth and jobs, the public sector can only create the right environment to make this possible. This, in my opinion, is where we have done our best work. Texas is the new frontier for opportunity and innovation in America today. Our communities are thriving with opportunity, cultural attractions and a tremendous quality of life. Today, Texas is better positioned to take advantage of the opportunities of the 21st Century than any other state.

We have been ranked the best business climate nine years running, and we’ve led the nation in exports for the last decade.

All along the way, I have been guided by a simple philosophy: the best way to fund education and healthcare is through job creation, not higher taxation.

Texas works. The jobs prove it. The revenue picture proves it. The number of people moving here proves it. And that hasn’t happened by accident.

Texas works because we have less government, less spending, fair regulations, and lower taxes. We have built a pathway to prosperity through innovation and ingenuity….

To lead this state for the first part of the 21st Century has been nothing less than extraordinary. No other state can match what we’ve accomplished together. Today, Texas is the envy of the nation

I am looking forward…to the next 18 months, as I serve out my term. Any future considerations I will announce in due time, as I arrive at any decisions. But my focus will remain on Texas. Public service is a sacred trust. I am grateful for the privilege that Texans have allowed me. Until I leave this office, I will continue working hard to do what’s best for Texas.

That includes this special session, and additional sessions if needed, improving transportation infrastructure, passing juvenile justice reform, and protecting the right to life for the youngest and most vulnerable Texans. Texas is and will remain a strong pro-life, pro-family and pro-freedom state.

After January 2015, new chapters will be written, new leaders will help write them, but the focus must remain on the greatest state in the union, and opportunity for Her people. I want to close with the words of Peter Drucker, who said, “Rank does not confer privilege or give power. It imposes responsibility.” Our responsibility remains to the next generation of Texans, who will inherit a state of our making. We alone are responsible for the kind of Texas that will greet them.

It is my hope that tomorrow’s leaders build on our legacy of opportunity so Texans born into any circumstance can have a chance to experience the American Dream.

Thank you, God bless you, and may God bless this Texas we love…”

full text at the link run by Texans for Perry

workingclass artist on July 9, 2013 at 10:04 AM

PS..Good to see you..:)

Dire Straits on July 9, 2013 at 8:58 AM

It’s making me laugh. To be honest I enjoy posts like this 1000x more than a troll filled post.

I think he’s running too ;)

Good to see you as well my friend.

gophergirl on July 9, 2013 at 10:05 AM

gophergirl on July 9, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I hear you..I think he is going to at least look into running..:)

Dire Straits on July 9, 2013 at 10:25 AM

For now.

The Rick will learn again all about what a walkover is, if he runs again for POTUS.

He made the mistake of listening to other people push him into something he wasn’t suited for in 2012, and nothing has changed. Except, that several states really hate his guts now for trying to steal jobs away from them.

So yeah, that’s real President material, there.

Moesart on July 9, 2013 at 10:40 AM

So yeah, that’s real President material, there.

Moesart on July 9, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Gov. Perry isn’t stealing jobs…he’s offering businesses a better place to do business and grow their businesses.

He’s also not the only republican governor doing this…it’s an american tradition called healthy competition.

Brandstad
Herbert
McDonnell
Scott
Daugaard

“Chief Executive magazine releases its ninth annual survey of CEO’s opinions about the best and worst states for business – and Republicans are governing in all of the top 10.

2013 Rank

1 Texas
2 Florida
3 North Carolina
4 Tennessee
5 Indiana
6 Arizona
7 Virginia
8 South Carolina
9 Nevada
10 Georgia

“In the minds of most leaders, a state’s friendliness is closely aligned with its tax and regulatory regime. Similarly, workforce quality also measures the perceived cooperativeness of workers with management, as well as the people’s general work ethic and education attainment,” the report write-up states.

Only three Republicans govern in the bottom 10 states – Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey (ranked 46th), Gov. Rick Snyder of Michigan (ranked 44th), and Gov. Tom Corbett of Pennsylvania (ranked 42nd).

California is ranked at 50, the worst state for business in America…”

workingclass artist on July 9, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Maybe run as a third party guy or heck–let’s just start a new country so the left can send us some of our money back as foreign aid

Don L on July 9, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I like Cruz, but he lacks executive experience.

DRayRaven on July 8, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Obama killed that silly resume’ need for ever; big ears, Photoshopped halos on your pics, foam pillars, and free condoms for every pot, will get you a cult following….groan.

Don L on July 9, 2013 at 12:08 PM

On what Rick Perry is not and never will be.

Rafael Cruz, father of Ted Cruz.

Understands the evil of the two party evil money cult in total power in Washington D.C. and will not bend or break.

Understands that they are bit by bit, RINO by RINO, big Goverment re-election money pig at the money trough of big bussiness trashing the Constitution.

Examle is Rick Perry doing this speech at the largest Catapeller Dealer in Texas, the dealer who sells the most road construction equipement to the Highway construction companies.

Rick Perry is no Thomas Paine, Ted and his dad Rafale are out of that mold.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on July 9, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Get off it, Apache.

The Corridor thing is dead and gone.

Find some other rat hole to sniff.

avagreen on July 9, 2013 at 6:45 PM

PS..Good to see you..:)

Dire Straits on July 9, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I think he’s running too ;)

Good to see you as well my friend.

gophergirl on July 9, 2013 at 10:05 AM

*sigh*

The lies and disinformation, which have already been debunked over and over, have already started.

The liberals are really, really afraid of Perry.

*sic ‘um, Governor*

avagreen on July 9, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I just PRAY that if Perry is really gonna run, cons will get behind him in force. I would hate to see the con vote split so Christie or Rubio or someone weasels through.

Jack_Burton on July 10, 2013 at 1:31 AM

I’d already donated to Greg Abbott’s campaign before Perry made his announcement. Perry campaigned as a conservative but did not govern as such. He only stayed consistently conservative when re-election neared…

golfer1 on July 10, 2013 at 3:28 AM