Where “comprehensive” immigration reform meets the rape tree

posted at 2:01 pm on July 7, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

As the next battle over immigration reform winds closer over the dog days of summer, I was reminded this weekend of one of the key arguments I hear from reform supporters. It revolves around the idea that those who want the borders secured first are somehow using that as nothing but a tool to stop “progress” on reform efforts. This was typified a few months back with MSNBC’s Alex Wagner and her jaw dropping promo on the subject for her new show. Allahpundit skewered the video royally as soon as it came out, but it deserves a second look today.

Bigger, meaner, scarier fences. People suggesting electrified moats to prevent “them” from coming in. By the language that they use to talk about “those people” who want to be here. You know what? Those people who want to be here are us. That’s what this country is made of.

I’m not sure where Ms. Wagner lives, or which part of “us” she’s referring to, but before she gets too caught up on welcoming all of the new, eager citizens into the country without scrutiny she might want to stop by the actual border and talk to the residents there. Or, failing that, she might want to take a look at this report from US News which interviews a variety of people dealing with the hazards of living along the Southern border. It talks about some of the locals who have been forced to take matters into their own hands in an attempt to keep their families safe.

Just before sundown, a group of men cloaked in camouflage from the Texas Border Volunteers halts their all terrain vehicle, along a winding sandy road. As they make their way around the heavy brush, they circle around a pile of women’s undergarments, which lay at the foot of a tree. In sections of land near the U.S.-Mexico border, this is known as a “rape tree.” And for the residents of Brooks County, Texas, rape trees are popping up at an alarming frequency.

“I’ve had three rape cases in the last month,” says Benny Martinez, the chief deputy at the Brooks County Sheriff’s Department. “These guys are animals. There is an intimidation factor there. If they don’t give into the brush guide, [the women] get beat up.”

The group who found the “rape tree” are part of the Texas Border Volunteers, a troop of a few dozen private citizens who spend their own time – six or seven hours at a clip – weaving through the low-hanging honey mesquite trees and heavy Texas brush looking to stop immigrants from crossing into this land – and their country – illegally.

Some of these same reform proponents will be quick to claim that the real villains here are the “coyotes” engaged in human smuggling, not their transport charges. But to them, I would note that the violence and mayhem are hardly restricted to the illegal immigrants.

Vickers’ wife, Linda, never leaves the house without her cell phone, a gun and her four guard dogs.

Ranchers in the area say immigrants used to pass through without much of a trace.

“It used to be mostly Mexican peasants coming to look for work,” Vickers says. “Maybe a couple times a week, they’d show up at my front door, ring the doorbell and ask if I had any work for them. If I didn’t, I’d send them across the road or point them in the direction of work. They were very respectful. We’d give them water, we’d give them food.”

Now, all along Route 281, bended fences, abandoned clothing and empty Gatorade bottles lay scattered on the road, evidence of groups passing through.

For some the high price is too much to pay to stay on the ranches. Elizabeth Burns, who owns a 38,000-acre ranch, moved off the land and into McAllen, Texas because the influx was growing too burdensome.

The story goes on, with tales of ranchers finding swollen, bloated bodies in the grass on their lands. Violence and damage to property are happening daily, with more and more residents simply giving up and moving away because it’s just not safe to stay there.

But you know that “bigger, meaner fence” must be the problem. Right?

Comments

Screw liberals and their multiculturalism crap.

American culture is just fine for me.

Instead of importing more Democrat voters, we need to be exiling liberals.

But I guess that won’t happen, because of global pollution standards and all.

Liam on July 7, 2013 at 2:05 PM

But you know that “bigger, meaner fence” must be the problem. Right?

Well, there wouldn’t be bloated bodies if that fence really did have an alligator-filled moat.

And, for the record, when I use air quotes to talk about those people I usually am referring to vapid self-absorbed morons like Alex Wagner. What a stupid partisan joke that worthless human being is but SHE has a mouthpiece that smart people are denied.

Happy Nomad on July 7, 2013 at 2:10 PM

But you know that “bigger, meaner fence” must be the problem. Right?

Jazz Shaw

Except in Israel.

Their border fence works just fine.

listens2glenn on July 7, 2013 at 2:14 PM

The ranchers on the boarder are under siege, and our government has been complicit in this. They should be protecting property rights of their citizens, but they are letting their land be overrun. And this is the government that we are supposed to trust will NOW start enforcing immigration laws.. Suuuuureeee.

We should just frickin invade Mexico and take it over; if we are going to have to support their economy anyways. At least we could clean some of the corruption up and take advantage of their oil and tourist economy. They sure the he!! don’t care about our sovereignty; why should we care about theirs?

melle1228 on July 7, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Happy Nomad on July 7, 2013 at 2:10 PM

You’re generous about the alligators.

I prefer T-Rex, if we can clone a few.

Liam on July 7, 2013 at 2:15 PM

melle1228 on July 7, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Invade Mexico? That would cost money and American soldiers’ lives.

But we have all those pretty little nuclear bombs just sitting on warehouse shelves doing nothing.

We can call it “American nuclear disarmament”.

Liam on July 7, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Listen Alex, when it comes to you and I, there is no us. I don’t view you as a fellow anything. You aren’t my fellow countryman. I don’t care about what happens to you or your family. I don’t care about your views or anything you have to say. So “you” can cram it up your azz. And by “you” I mean you.

Flange on July 7, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Flange on July 7, 2013 at 2:19 PM

To blazes with liberals. I’ve had enough of their nonsense for too danged long.

Liam on July 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Bigger, meaner, scarier fences.

National borders are mean, scary places to be meandering around. That’s that whole nation-state thing … Borders are real things. Real scary things for those uninvited and trying to infiltrate them.

People suggesting electrified moats to prevent “them” from coming in.

“electrified moats”?? That’s interesting. I can’t say that I’ve ever heard of such an idea. I wonder what Ivy League paragon of higher education she learned about this at?

By the language that they use to talk about “those people” who want to be here.

“Those people” are called “aliens”. When they infiltrate our border and overstay their visas they’re called “illegal aliens”. When they try to overwhelm us with their numbers and they are supported in this attempt by other states, they’re called “invaders”.

You know what? Those people who want to be here are us.

No, they’re not. They’re THEM. Aliens. Citizens of OTHER nations. Unwelcome. Invaders.

That’s what this country is made of.

What? Humans? Mammals? Certainly not illegal aliens.

Sadly, what this country is made of, these days, is a lot of idiots (truly brain-dead barely functional retards) and haters of the notion of the nation-state. This chick needs to go be an illegal somewhere.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 7, 2013 at 2:23 PM

A path to legal citizenship for aliens has been in place since before the Ellis Island processing center was established.

What they mean is a wholesale pardon (amnesty), and a bestowing of “legal citizen status” upon our current illegal aliens, without requiring them to go through the already existing legal process.
In other words, they’re trying to create a “legal short-cut”.

listens2glenn on July 7, 2013 at 2:23 PM

You’re generous about the alligators.

I prefer T-Rex, if we can clone a few.

Liam on July 7, 2013 at 2:15 PM

I prefer a rigorous e-verify system that actually punishes employers who hire the illegals, a far more rapid deportation system for the illegals (including the so-called DREAMER variety), a visa program that actually tracks when an alien has overstayed their welcome, and a robust guest-worker program that would allow aliens to work jobs in the US without any premise that citizenship is forthcoming.

Happy Nomad on July 7, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Happy Nomad on July 7, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I’m all for that, entirely.

The problem is American Democrats and RINOs. And the media.

Get rid of them, and many problems will fix themselves.

Liam on July 7, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Liam on July 7, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Call me a bleeding heart, but I don’t have anything against the regular Mexican who wants to come here to better their family. I have a problem with the Mexican government who encourages their citizens to come here. And our government who not only doesn’t protect our border, but encourages Mexican illegals to get welfare benefits..

melle1228 on July 7, 2013 at 2:28 PM

In other words, they’re trying to create a “legal short-cut”.

listens2glenn on July 7, 2013 at 2:23 PM

My biggest beef with the way the left and stupid partisans like Alex Wagner frame the debate. They act as if there isn’t already a path to citizenship.

The United States already has a very generous quota system for immigrants. Yet we have a bunch of gate-crashers demanding VIP passes without having any legitimate right to anything but our utmost contempt. They figure if they become annoying enough they will get their way. As far as I’m concerned anybody who is gifted citizenship by amnesty is not really citizen but just a very lucky parasite.

Happy Nomad on July 7, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I want someone to ask these amnesty tards if all 6 billion people on Earth can come here to live. If not, why not? What’s the limit? Once we reach a tipping point, say goodbye to the US. People who have no respect for the constitution will have no problem getting rid of it.

BDavis on July 7, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Happy Nomad on July 7, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I agree with all those measures, and would gladly support those IF and big IF we could trust our government to actually practice enforcement.

melle1228 on July 7, 2013 at 2:30 PM

If these open border idiots put in half the effort to make Mexico a decent place to live, as they do trying to make the US taxpayer support them – we wouldn’t have this problem.

Rebar on July 7, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Everyone in favor of “reform” should immediately have to house a family of illegals already here. Food, shelter, work around the house, etc.

To show they mean it about “open borders” by opening their own home’s.

If even a hundred thousand such progressives were to agree to this deal, then let’s have the “reform”.

profitsbeard on July 7, 2013 at 2:36 PM

melle1228 on July 7, 2013 at 2:28 PM

You’re not a bleeding heart. I have nothing personal against Mexicans or anyone else except Muslims. I simply mistrust Muslims, and that’s about the end of it.

If someone is going immigrate here, I require only that it be legal and that they want to be Americans. My maternal grandparents came here legally, through Ellis Island in 1912.

Liam on July 7, 2013 at 2:37 PM

melle1228 on July 7, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Trust in government is the key .
Where is that trust ?
When will we see trust again ?
Pretty sad questions .

Lucano on July 7, 2013 at 2:38 PM

It is quite awful what liberals, especially in the media, have done to our country, isn’t it?

Liam on July 7, 2013 at 2:41 PM

That’s funny the only time I’ve heard anyone talk about alligators and moats was Obama at his El Paso speech. Maybe they have the same speech writer. However, the bottom line is fences without patrols will not work. Cut off the freebies would be a better solution.

DDay on July 7, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I had to go to McAllen, TX to pick up my 75 year old dad from the hospital after he got hurt riding his dirt bike in the mountain passes in Mexico…..but that’s another story. I rode around McAllen for 2 days and saw less than 10 Texas license plates the whole time I was there. All Mexico plates everywhere you looked.

Spider79 on July 7, 2013 at 2:42 PM

If you can’t even support enforcing this nations sovereign borders then what are you??

And we all know what the answer is.

PappyD61 on July 7, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Liam on July 7, 2013 at 2:37 PM

I like Mexicans so much that I’d like them to stay Mexican.

Flange on July 7, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Spider79 on July 7, 2013 at 2:42 PM

This might be a bit of an exaggeration. Although, there are substantial Mexican drivers on the border.

DDay on July 7, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Not to mention (but I will) the thousands of dead out in the Sonoran Desert south of the border over the years, abandoned by coyotes, murdered by drug dealers, or just dead, all because Mexico doesn’t want them, and the past few Administrations have promised them all sorts of free stuff once they get here…as if we can afford to give out “free” anything anymore.

Immigration reform…the biggest hoax put on the United States since Obamacare…we didn’t need any damn reform…we simply needed to enforce the laws, as they are written and on the books already….and secure OUR border…all of it. Mexico does, secures their southern border with vigilantes, machine-gun toting federales.…and they really don’t care what happens to the corpses.

Maybe we simply need to adapt Mexico’s super liberal and all-caring immigration laws? But, somehow, that’d be racist or something.

coldwarrior on July 7, 2013 at 2:48 PM

PappyD61 on July 7, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Liberals need to be removed from all places of power, influence, and from American society. Liberals are a death-knell to all that is holy, right, peaceful, and proper.

Liam on July 7, 2013 at 2:48 PM

listens2glenn on July 7, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Happy Nomad on July 7, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Very well stated.

listens2glenn on July 7, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I like Mexicans so much that I’d like them to stay Mexican.

Flange on July 7, 2013 at 2:46 PM

And in Mexico!

TxAnn56 on July 7, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Liberals ruin everything they touch. All their plans and notions, which inevitably are doomed to failure, create only enmity and mistrust. Then they move on to something else, and muck that up, too.

Liam on July 7, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Yes, I’ve been posting comments on this situation here from time to time. I’ve met Dr Vickers–very nice guy, very smart. The number of dead bodies in that area is going up, not down. It’s a story that’s mostly ignored in the media.

juliesa on July 7, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Lean Forward = Bend Over.

VegasRick on July 7, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Spider79 on July 7, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Like a lot of border area towns…McAllen is 85-90% hispanic. Lots of people work on both sides of the border and have for decades. A lot of mexican kids go over to our side to go to school.

Yep.

And Texas got hauled into court every time we tried to do something about it.

workingclass artist on July 7, 2013 at 3:01 PM

And in Mexico!

TxAnn56 on July 7, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Best place in the world for a Mexican to be.

Flange on July 7, 2013 at 3:02 PM

workingclass artist on July 7, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Yep, it’s truly amazing how far a utility bill receipt will get you these days.

DDay on July 7, 2013 at 3:04 PM

“Intelligent comment” and “MSNBC” are mutually exclusive.

GarandFan on July 7, 2013 at 3:04 PM

leftists are slaves to the ideas of indigenous peoples and the evil of the white capitalist oppressor. They are simple people, leftists, believing in myths and legends.

i think that’s why most reporters are of the left…they are frustrated story tellers..maybe they wanted to write the great American novel when they grew up. but they washed out of creative writing (along with math, science, etc.) and so they decided to save the world by ‘narrating’ the happenings of the world…and writing the First Draft of history.

well…and it pays good to if you tell the right story

r keller on July 7, 2013 at 3:06 PM

My backyard.

wolly4321 on July 7, 2013 at 3:06 PM

“Intelligent comment” and “MSNBC” are mutually exclusive.

GarandFan on July 7, 2013 at 3:04 PM

You got that right!

Worst thing, is that they don’t know it.

Liam on July 7, 2013 at 3:08 PM

fix their own damned country and leave us alone. we have a legal immigration system that good people legally take part in.

dmacleo on July 7, 2013 at 3:14 PM

If every liberal, every Progressive, simply left their back door open, with a large sign posted, “Any non-documented aliens are most welcome to come on in and stake out a bedroom…no more than three families per room, thank you.” how many libs/Progs would accept that little challenge. Keep it local, you know, think globally, act locally and all that stuff?

Well, this entire amnesty sham…scheme…is doing exactly that on a huge national scale.

But, these libs/progs wouldn’t for a moment even consider just opening up their house, 24/7, to whomever wishes to come on in and do whatever…uninvited.

This Nation is my home…maybe the libs/Progs don’t see it as their home…just a place to hang out, make money, or take money, and destroy the lives of millions.

coldwarrior on July 7, 2013 at 3:17 PM

coldwarrior on July 7, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Liberals talk their talk. They demand everyone else, however, walk their talk.

If a liberal had to live the way he demands of the rest of us, he’d stop being a liberal.

That’s why I want Obamacare to kick in — so liberals FINALLY have to pay out of pocket for their demands.

Liam on July 7, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Too bad the invaders aren’t “white” Latinos. You could have open season on them if they were.

BL@KBIRD on July 7, 2013 at 3:23 PM

A lot of the ones coming through Texas now are OTMs–Other than Mexican. Mostly Central Americans, but some Asians too, China, India, and some scary muslim types. So this isn’t just about Mexico, although that’s where their passing through to cross the TX border.

juliesa on July 7, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Why does Alex Wagner hate women, and not care that they are being raped? Hers is a pretty flippant attitude towards this violence, nay – ‘war on women’.

Midas on July 7, 2013 at 3:27 PM

In West Texas we do need more boots on the ground, but these young ones CBP is hiring are a pain. They don’t know ranches or the local residents, they leave gates open, and they even destroy property. Sometimes they or the DEA come onto our property in unmarked vehicles and scare the crap out of people while they’re out working. The sheriff’s deputies are better to work with, but there aren’t enough of them.

juliesa on July 7, 2013 at 3:32 PM

For those of us that live on or near the border, we see he negative side of amnesty everyday. The media pundits live miles and miles way from the border and see only what their rose colored glasses show them. There are only four States on the southern border, lets look at the Senators from those States. The two from California are total airheads, the two from Arizona are total fools, the two from New Mexico are total idiots, and the two from Texas have their heads screwed on in the right direction. Only two out of the eight voted against amnesty, can you guess which two. My greatest regret is that I can only vote against these two idiot Senators from New Mexico once every six years.

savage24 on July 7, 2013 at 3:34 PM

THESE.PEOPLE.ARE.NOT.US.CITIZENS!!! If you are not a citizens of the United States then you are not entitled to anything here. That includes food and water. These are citizens of Mexico, South American countries, probably Iran at this point. If you INVADE our country then expect to be treated as an invader. Our so-called leaders have an agenda. For the Dems its a perpetual underclass of low educated people. For the Repubs its cheap labor. We the citizens of the US DEMAND a closed border NOW!!!

neyney on July 7, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Another MSLSD moron spewing garbage, so what else is new.She should be forced to camp out next to the “rape tree” for about 3-4 days with some Saltine crackers and 1 bottle of Fuji water and see what happens.

jeffinsjvca on July 7, 2013 at 3:37 PM

neyney on July 7, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Tough words from a Christian?

unclesmrgol on July 7, 2013 at 3:50 PM

When you invite strangers into you house you can expect the unexpected.
When strangers break into your house, the expectations are nearly 100% unfavorable.

MaiDee on July 7, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Lean Forward = Bend Over / Lube must be earned.

VegasRick on July 7, 2013 at 2:55 PM

riddick on July 7, 2013 at 4:02 PM

The House has TWO OPTIONS on the AMNESTY atrocity:

1. The Repubs can continue the process of slitting their throats and burying their party while bankrupting America with an additional invasion of 30+ MILLION taxpayer welfare leeches who will keep the socialist extremists (aka FREE STUFF) in power and keep wages at depression levels for decades, or
2. Act like American patriots, follow their Oath of Office, respect and protect America by voting to enact REAL border security that doesn’t depend on the lawless OBOZO totalitarian police state regime, while continuing to reject CRIMINALS and MORAL DEGENERATES from our country and continuing to make American citizenship a valuable item provided to ONLY law abiding, responsible, hard working, English-speaking people who want to keep and add to America’s greatness and not turn it into a rotting third-world barrio.

TeaPartyNation on July 7, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Flange on July 7, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Liam on July 7, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Flange / Liam 2016!

Laura in Maryland on July 7, 2013 at 4:17 PM

and how ’bout Bishop for SecDef.

Laura in Maryland on July 7, 2013 at 4:19 PM

and how ’bout Bishop for SecDef.

Laura in Maryland on July 7, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Time to make America first again.

Flange on July 7, 2013 at 4:32 PM

1 We still have a country that’s 70% European.Why can’t immigration be based on current ethnicity populations instead of over 80% Mexican and related?
2 Border state California, surprisingly used to be red, now it is permanently blue thanks to gargantuan Mexican inflows. New Mexico is turning purple and Arizona is threatened. If Amnesty goes through, even Texas will join the blue column.States one state away from Mexico, Colorado and Nevada, went blue in the last election thanks to the Mexican votes.
3 The RINO solution to problem 2 has been to encourage Republicans to become copy-cat Democratic liberals in order to get a slightly higher percentage of the Mexican-and other Hispanic vote (but nowhere close to a majority.)Although Ann Coulter has been out to cloud-cuckooland lately (especially her love affair with Chritie-which she has finally renounced)but the one good thing she said recently–’why should Republicans accept immigrants who vote 80% for the other party? Even if Mexicans only voted 50.1% Democratic would be reason enough to disallow Amnesty.’
4 It’s a basic truism that you don’t reward people for displaying bad behavior. All illegals are guilty of illegal entry (many of breaking and entering) accompanied by document falsification (forgery)and are often further guilty (forced by Coyotes or voluntarily ) of drug smuggling and money laundering.
5 Generally people sneaking into America are not the cream of the crop but the dregs of society Mexico is only too willing to let go.Those who are not at the bottom of the social heap are probably not Mexican but Middle Eastern terrorists, Chinese cyber-spies and Guatemalan MS-13 organized gang cartel members. Whoever they are, they are bad news for America.
6 Unlike every other immigrant group, Hispanis stubbornly refuse to learn English necessitating bilingualism (ruinously expensive) and a country divided by deep cultural differences.

MaiDee on July 7, 2013 at 4:38 PM

MaiDee on July 7, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I don’t see Texas going blue. Too many cowboys and rednecks to put the fear of God into the “illegals”.

HiJack on July 7, 2013 at 4:55 PM

There is no truth, no reality to anything these people say including Rubio and the deluded egomaniac McCain. Nothing. This is an attempt to change America to something they want, something vastly different. With racial spoils, entrenched offices, and a wretched, starving population that will work for nothing.

pat on July 7, 2013 at 4:58 PM

HiJack on July 7, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Just remember, Sheila Jackson Lee is a U.S. Rep. from Texas.

Flange on July 7, 2013 at 5:00 PM

HiJack–Don’t forget that in the 1976 election, it was the Texas vote that decided the election for Jimmy Carter!!!!!

MaiDee on July 7, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Those people who want to be here

If the only criteria for being in the U.S. is wanting to, I’m sure there are a half billion Chinese that would jump at the chance.

chewydog on July 7, 2013 at 5:11 PM

The British lefties imported millions of (Muslim) immigrants to make sure Britain was irreversably turned into a multicultural country. Now look at the Brits. It takes them 8 years to kick an illegal terrorist out of the country, and they are still left taking care of the bastards family!

Your lefties are importing the Mexicans for the same reason: to destroy your society, so they can rebuild it as they think it should be. You know: fundamentally transforming it…

Antivenin on July 7, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Tough words from a Christian?

unclesmrgol on July 7, 2013 at 3:50 PM

We are not talking a handful of wanderers. More like millions of migrants and a grab bag of criminals.

There are two main ways to make the Mexican border secure: stop the majority of ‘walkers’ and make the trip for the ones who DO make it over not worth it. Be that anything from an automatic sentence at hard labor to simply being shipped as far south as feasible without anything more than a bathroom break and triage treatment.

If word were to get out that crossing the border into Yankee-land was ten times as hard and literally got you not a dime of welfare nor a pack of crackers in free food, the incentive to go north would almost vanish.

MelonCollie on July 7, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Senor, senor, do you know where we’re headin’?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon?
Seems like I been down this way before.
Is there any truth in that, senor?

J_Crater on July 7, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Just remember, Sheila Jackson Lee is a U.S. Rep. from Texas.

Flange on July 7, 2013 at 5:00 PM

…so there ARE some stupid people in Texas?

KOOLAID2 on July 7, 2013 at 6:23 PM

The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) recently released a report, “Transnational Organized Crime in Central America and the Caribbean,” that identifies both Mexican cartels and street gangs as conduits for individuals from Africa and Asia entering the U.S illegally.

kemojr on July 7, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I still prefer Kinky Friedman’s Five Generals plan. Bribe the five Mexican generals who have responsibility for the border. Set up an account for each of them with a million dollars in it then tell them that we’ll remove $10K for each illegal we catch in their section. At the end of the year, they get what’s left. That would put a stop to the problem and it would only cost $5 million per year at most.

Kafir on July 8, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Kafir on July 8, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Outstanding plan!

…so there ARE some stupid people in Texas?

KOOLAID2 on July 7, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Sadly, yes. They won’t let us stake them out in the dessert anymore with honey on their face. *sigh*

GWB on July 8, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Here are some questions for these pro-amnesty people. I posted these on another thread, but that thread seems dead. I would like some honest answers to these from some pro-amnesty / anti-border security people:

1. Is the U.S. allowed to have a border? – this is a yes/no question. If no, please explain why the U.S. is the only nation on earth not allowed to have a border.

2. If the answer to “1″ is yes – is the U.S. allowed to expect other nations / citizens of other nations to respect and abide by its border? Again, a “yes/no” question. If no, please explain why the U.S. is the only nation on earth not allowed to expect other nations/citizens of other nations to respect its border.

3. If 1 and 2 are “yes” – is the U.S. allowed to enforce its borders? Again – a “yes/no” question. If no, please explain why the U.S. is the only nation on earth not allowed to enforce its border.

4. If 1, 2 and 3 above are yes, is the U.S. allowed to have immigration laws? (again, a yes/no question). If no, please explain why the U.S. is the only nation on earth not allowed to have immigration laws.

5. If 4 above is yes, is the U.S. allowed to expect other nations/citizens of other nations to respect its immigration laws? (again, a yes/no question). If no, please explain why the U.S. is the only nation on earth not allowed to expect other nations/citizens of other nations to respect its immigration laws.

6. Is the U.S. allowed to enforce its immigration laws? (again, a yes/no question). If no, please explain why the U.S. is the only nation on earth not allowed to enforce its immigration laws.

And finally, a few questions to the crowd that seems to believe that the U.S. should simply welcome anyone and everyone who wants to move here:

A. Is there any limit to the number of people the U.S. has to allow entry? If so, what is the number – 5 million per year? 10 million per year? 20 million? 100 million?

B. once the number is reached, how do we go about stopping people from entering after that? How do we even know when the number is reached?

C. Is there any limit to the kinds of people (i.e., education level, skill level, criminal background, terrorist connections, wealth [i.e., ability to pay one's own way])? If so, how do we check/enforce the criteria? How do we stop those who don’t meet the criteria?

Also, if you don’t believe the U.S. should have borders or enforce any immigration laws, then why does one even have to be on U.S. soil (which is where exactly if we don’t have borders) to claim U.S. citizenship or legal protection? Why can’t some Chinese person simply declare themselves an American resident or American citizen? After all, physical location is arbitrary. Or, is your position that we should simply reward anyone who makes it here – kind of like a hunger games of citizenship, if you can survive and make it to American soil, you get your green card.

Monkeytoe on July 8, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I and many others use to hunt the lower Sierrita Mtns. and the Buenos Aries ranch (refuge) south-SW of Tucson Unit 36A thru C. About 20 years ago we started seeing strange things, more and more tracks in the arroyo’s and washes and small ‘flags’ hung in bushes and trees here and there in the Altar Valley. A friend in the BP said those were trail ‘indicators’ for smugglers. Over the years a few witnessed these groups walking north and in rare instances accompanied by armed guides (coyotes). Other hunters have set up trail cameras and have videos of ‘mule teams’ 20 or more guys with makeshift back-packs marching north on game trails. This evidence is shared with the local CBP folks.
In one video the group walks by and then 40 minutes later a big puma saunters up the trail. And I mean a BIG cat and he looked well fed. He has the potential to make someone’s day very exciting and final.
Now it is great getting out and hunting and using your wits to gain an advantage on a mule, or the occasional, white tail deer. And the BA was more than happy to allow hunters to go after their feral hog populations. Not so much anymore. There are warnings issued by AzG&F Regional V managers regarding areas where hunting is risky.
As a hunter you must abide by rules and regulations. Magazine capacity 5 rounds while the coyotes have no such limitations. It is difficult enough to be successful in your hunt but is loses the appeal if you must keep your eye out for bipeds with unknown intentions in the area & having to worry about the potential of you being hunted.
Perhaps Jeff Flake knows about this but John McCain certainly does and he doesn’t give a Shiite.

Missilengr on July 8, 2013 at 4:37 PM