Video – George W Bush “off the stage”

posted at 5:01 pm on July 7, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

There was actually a bright spot from the Sunday morning shows today, and it came from This Week on ABC. They had one of the better interviews with President George W. Bush I’ve seen in a while, taking place in Africa shortly after he had met with President Obama in Tanzania. He was there with Laura, working on a charity project to combat cervical cancer. What made the interview memorable was the complete lack of interest he showed in politics, along with a total refusal to rise to the bait of the press on the usual landmines. In one instance, the host attempted to drag him into the gay marriage debate.

Bush had waded into the revitalized same-sex marriage debate last week – if only barely – in a comment to a reporter in Zambia, who asked whether gay marriage conflicts with Christian values.

“I shouldn’t be taking a speck out of someone else’s eye when I have a log in my own,” Bush said last week.

In an interview in Tanzania with ABC News Chief White House Correspondent Jonathan Karl, the former president explained his comment further.

“I meant it’s very important for people not to be overly critical of someone else until you’ve examined your own heart,” Bush told Karl.

He did weigh in on immigration, but only in a tangential way. He also refused to get into any sort of spitting contest with the current president, sticking to the same policy he’s kept since leaving office. When pressed during the interview to say what he and Obama had talked about “when the cameras weren’t rolling” he had a pretty good response.

“What a big pain the press is.”

This is one interview worth watching. The former CINC continues to work on helping veterans and a variety of charitable interests, and seems to be enjoying the freedom of being out of the cage of the Oval Office. Give it a look.

Comments

What made the interview memorable was the complete lack of interest he showed in politics…

Yes, he demonstrated that as president.

rickv404 on July 7, 2013 at 5:10 PM

George W. Bush may be cut from the same progressive cloth as his father, but at least that doesn’t keep him from showing a moderate amount of class. Good on ya, Mr. President.

gryphon202 on July 7, 2013 at 5:11 PM

While it’s refreshing that someone in public life actually knows the context of the much-abused “judge not” passage, Mr Bush is surely still incorrectly applying the text.

Unless he is committing adultery, he does have the right to say homosexuality is wrong.

Methinks Mr Bush was merely afraid of being politically incorrect.

itsnotaboutme on July 7, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Say what you will, but that’s a man who loves America. I might not have liked some of his policies, but he is a good man.

BacaDog on July 7, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Class act.

Someone the Narcissist-in-Chief could learn from.

GarandFan on July 7, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Bush is apparently Christian without the troublesome following of the Christian Bible stuff.

This “Judge not” business is a cloak for a nothingness of belief.

Clearly Jesus sure shouldn’t have whipped those moneychangers from the temple.

What a judgmental thing to do!

profitsbeard on July 7, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Anyone care to wager whether we’ll ever hear the current Oval Office occupant utter anything remotely like this? Anyone?

mdavt on July 7, 2013 at 5:42 PM

..yes, I do miss him yet. Since 20 Jan 2008. Yet.

The War Planner on July 7, 2013 at 5:42 PM

I think W is a fine man. I disagree with him on several things where I know there could be no compromise but I will never say anything about him personally because I know, even when he’s wrong, he means well. That’s why there is no bi-partisan working in D.C., because the Left has to vilify those that disagree with them based only on that and the Right wastes a ton of time defending themselves against nonexistent charges. FUBAR.

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2013 at 5:46 PM

President George W. Bush is a good man. I would never doubt his love for our country or respect for the Constitution.

slickwillie2001 on July 7, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Hard to ignore the fact that he set the stage for President Choom. Reckless spending, increasing the government, and all of the rest that Candidate Choom campaigned against and then embraced and expanded, all the while blaming Bush. I’m not going to put W up on a pedestal any time soon. The only way to call him an effective president is by comparing him to the current resident of the White House.

RoadRunner on July 7, 2013 at 5:48 PM

itsnotaboutme on July 7, 2013 at 5:18 PM

profitsbeard on July 7, 2013 at 5:31 PM

And yes.

INC on July 7, 2013 at 5:49 PM

BacaDog on July 7, 2013 at 5:21 PM

You took the words from my mouth. He did a world of good for our friends in Africa while he was in office, but he’s also gone beyond that by continuing his efforts. He’s also been a great supporter and participant in the Wounded Warriors program. I miss him.

scalleywag on July 7, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Sorry. I have a new policy: don’t watch any video that begins with an ad. You offered the story but delivered an ad so goodbye. isaidgoodbye!

bour3 on July 7, 2013 at 5:55 PM

…since January of 2009…I miss him.

KOOLAID2 on July 7, 2013 at 6:08 PM

This “Judge not” business is a cloak for a nothingness of belief.

Clearly Jesus sure shouldn’t have whipped those moneychangers from the temple.

What a judgmental thing to do!

profitsbeard on July 7, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Admittedly, some parts of the Bible can difficult to understand, & a few parts are open to interpretation.
But so many folks seem to have the most trouble with plain, easy-to-read, simple passages!

itsnotaboutme on July 7, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Bush, appears to have learned to be an ex-president well.

Still doesn’t make up for the disaster he was in the White House but, he does know to come across as relaxed and unconcerned about making political points.

All former Presidents should mimic he and his Dad.

PappyD61 on July 7, 2013 at 6:09 PM

OT: Teresa Heinz Kerry taken to Nantucket hospital

OmahaConservative on July 7, 2013 at 6:03 PM

OmahaConservative:

Good evening OC,I hope your feeling better,and “critcal”,but stable??

Just fired it off to tips,a few minutes ago,doin the news round-up:)

canopfor on July 7, 2013 at 6:09 PM

OmahaConservative on July 7, 2013 at 6:03 PM

I guess it was a good thing he was there after all. How’s your head and arm?

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2013 at 6:10 PM

“Critical but stable” sounds like a stroke.

PappyD61 on July 7, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Speaking of Zambia:

Youth Vision Zambia
*******************

Obama ties USA aid to promotion of LGBTI rights:
************************************************

The United States will begin considering how countries treat gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender citizens when allocating foreign aid, President Obama announced Tuesday. “I am deeply concerned by the violence and discrimination targeting LGBT persons around the world,” Obama said in a memorandum. “Whether it is passing laws that criminalize LGBT status, beating citizens simply for joining peaceful LGBT pride celebrations, or killing men, women, and children for their perceived sexual orientation.”

December 6, 2011

canopfor on July 7, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I guess it was a good thing he was there after all. How’s your head and arm?

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Head is much better, arm not so much. The PT people are going to try something different tomorrow to try and alleviate the swelling…
Thanks for asking darlin’

OmahaConservative on July 7, 2013 at 6:16 PM

I’d take the Bush deficits any day…over Obama.

Too bad he really wasn’t a conservative.

Bush ,though, is a class act.

CW on July 7, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Bush may not have been great president. But he’s damn sight better than Obama.

I dead mouse would be a better president than Obama.

Liam on July 7, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2013 at 6:10 PM

BTW, it is a real pain in the azz driving my truck one handed…

OmahaConservative on July 7, 2013 at 6:20 PM

President Bush,is doing the GOOD WORK,without fanfare,and if any
credit is giving,its to the Generousity of the Stars n’ Bars!

Obama,on the otherhand,is pure politics,and always has strings attached!!

Hopeys Good Work:

Oh,on the bright-side,he is protecting the GOP Mascot.(sarc)

Obama to launch major wildlife trafficking initiative in Africa

By Juliet Eilperin, Published: July 1, 2013 at 8:38 am
******************************************************

President Obama will launch a new initiative in Tanzania on Monday aimed at combating illegal wildlife trafficking, according to White House officials.

Using his executive authority, Obama will convene a Cabinet-level task force composed of the State, Interior and Justice departments that will be charged with devising a national strategy to curb the illegal trade of wildlife across the globe. The initiative also will include $10 million specifically earmarked for addressing poaching in Africa, particularly of rhinos and elephants.(More…)
==================================================================

canopfor on July 7, 2013 at 6:21 PM

“Critical but stable” sounds like a stroke.

PappyD61 on July 7, 2013 at 6:11 PM

PappyD61:Hmmm,….I didn’t think of that!:)

canopfor on July 7, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Good evening OC,I hope your feeling better,and “critcal”,but stable??

Just fired it off to tips,a few minutes ago,doin the news round-up:)

canopfor on July 7, 2013 at 6:09 PM

LOLZ! Thanks good buddy, on both counts…

OmahaConservative on July 7, 2013 at 6:23 PM

In sum:

Bush was about America.

Obama is about Obama.

And the fawning blood-stained liberal media are about their precious Obama being about Obama.

Liam on July 7, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Dubya’s legacy as a president is spotty, but as an ex-president, he’s been absolutely pitch perfect. The contrast between him and, say, Jimmuh Carter, is very telling.

Good Solid B-Plus on July 7, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on July 7, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Bush is a good and decent man. Maybe he wasn’t picture=perfect as a president. Then again, who is?

What said most to me about Bush is his reaction when being told of 9/11. Look close at that instant. He tried to cover it, but the hurt he felt was in his eyes. Very subtle, but it was there.

I felt great compassion for him at that awful instant.

Liam on July 7, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I felt great compassion for him at that awful instant.

Liam on July 7, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I can only imagine the kind of speech Obama or Gore would have given while standing amidst the rubble. “We’re sorry that America is such a monstrous nation and that we brought this on ourselves.”

Good Solid B-Plus on July 7, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Obama to launch major wildlife trafficking initiative in Africa

canopfor on July 7, 2013 at 6:21 PM</blockquote

Obama, with his N-Stasi-A and I-Revenge-S, is already massively tracking people in America, so this should be a piece of cake for him.

VorDaj on July 7, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on July 7, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Speech? Pffft!

It would have been, “We surrender! Please don’t hurt me, Momma!”

Liam on July 7, 2013 at 6:41 PM

OmahaConservative on July 7, 2013 at 6:16 PM

I’m glad you are in touch with people that know it isn’t mending correctly. This is going to sound stupid but are you taking aspirin? I’m having a touch of swelling in my right arm for no reason at all but the other day I took some aspirin for a headache and the arm got better, briefly. You don’t have a manual transmission on the truck do you?

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2013 at 6:50 PM

canopfor on July 7, 2013 at 6:09 PM

LOLZ! Thanks good buddy, on both counts…

OmahaConservative on July 7, 2013 at 6:23 PM

OmahaConservative:—————————-:0

canopfor on July 7, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I’ll try anything, thanks for the aspirin tip. No, truck isn’t stick, but the steering is a bit rough…

OmahaConservative on July 7, 2013 at 6:52 PM

canopfor on July 7, 2013 at 6:21 PM</blockquote

VorDaj on July 7, 2013 at 6:41 PM

VorDaj:Yuppers,exactomundo:)

canopfor on July 7, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on July 7, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Speech? Pffft!

It would have been, “We surrender! Please don’t hurt me, Momma!”

Liam on July 7, 2013 at 6:41 PM

In the case of the REB, in the time it would have taken to rig a generator and lines for the teleprompter, the crowd would have given up.

slickwillie2001 on July 7, 2013 at 6:55 PM

OT: Teresa Heinz Kerry taken to Nantucket hospital

OmahaConservative on July 7, 2013 at 6:03 PM

I guess her and horse face’s egos crashed into each other.

arnold ziffel on July 7, 2013 at 7:00 PM

slickwillie2001 on July 7, 2013 at 6:55 PM

I can’t begin to tell you, Will, how disgusted I am of liberals in general, and Obama and his minions in particular.

Liam on July 7, 2013 at 7:01 PM

OmahaConservative on July 7, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Thank goodness, it’s bad enough to be in pain without having to do stunt driving. I’m sure the aspirin would be temporary but even a brief time without pain and swelling is good.

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Phoney Christian. He always was. Only a phoney would answer a question like this.

Like the time in the 2000 race, where he answered a question about who his favourite philosopher was by answering: Jesus Christ.

Major league phoney Christian. He only acted the part to rope in the Evangelical vote. Every once in a while he’d throw a legislative bone to them, but his heart was never in it.

And I’ve had enough of these crusty white people and their endless “do-gooding” in Africa. Best you stay on your side of the tracks, white-boy.

sartana on July 7, 2013 at 7:17 PM

George Bush is a good man but was a horrid president (and don’t compare him to Obama).

He had an opportunity that no Republican President had since 1932 – control of both Houses of Congress. He could have moved the country to the right. Instead he pushed the country to the left: No Child Left Behind, Medicare Part D, hair-brained spending, etc. Worst of all, he created a climate that elected Barack Obama and gave Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi control of Congress.

bw222 on July 7, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Setting the example of what an ex-president should be. Nothing but class.

alchemist19 on July 7, 2013 at 7:22 PM

sartana on July 7, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Because that defined you, everything else in your screed it without any value to us.

I like when as*holes fart in elevators. We learn the breed real fast.

Liam on July 7, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Bush wasnt perfect but hes a good man. And remember, the massive deficits started after the Dems took over in the last two years of his Presidency. Before that, Bush was working on deficit reduction and was actually making a dent until the midterms in 2006.

Jack_Burton on July 7, 2013 at 7:30 PM

W did many of the right things post 9-11… He also made some mistakes. There were many policies that he pushed that I totally disagreed with, illegal immigration being a biggy. Spending like crazy being another.

But the left began attacking him in insane ways after 9-11 and I publicly defended him from their anti-American nonsense so often that I’m sure I sounded like a zombie to some.

Did you know Bush paid the Chinese to steer Katrina into N.O.? I’m sure that for GW it was like swatting horse-flies while trying to focus on stopping the next attack.

So, he just left Obama off the hook for ramping up on invading our privacy, and going for our guns, and basically stealing our freedoms. Thanks George.

Plus, this kind’a explains the Obama invasion of Africa… Can’t be seen to be less interested in the homeland than Bush is.

RalphyBoy on July 7, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Jack_Burton on July 7, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Same with Reagan. Speaker Tip O’Neill said any Reagan budget was DOA in the House. Under Reagan, Congressional Dems were spending $1.32 for ever new tax dollar that came in.

Then they and the liberal media blamed Reagan and lilitary spending for it.

In the meantime, Ted Kennedy wrote Brezhnev that he would aid the Soviets to defeat Reagan in the 1984 election.

Liam on July 7, 2013 at 7:39 PM

In sum, there isn’t a damned thing any liberal can tell me that would swing me more to their side.

Liam on July 7, 2013 at 7:40 PM

What a joke of an interview…seriously..Half of the interview was about Obama and the moron interviewing was pretty critical about Bush

Lets just talk about why Bush was there not about his mistakes…whatever.President Bush and the first lady Bush are good people and they are doing great work in Africa

sadsushi on July 7, 2013 at 7:50 PM

sadsushi on July 7, 2013 at 7:50 PM

The liberal media are jealous. They want so badly for their precious Obama to succeed, but he’s not cutting the mustard despite having the bully pulpit.

Though president, Obama can’t match and isn’t matching what the Bushes are doing privately.

The liberal media find that infuriating.

Liam on July 7, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Then they and the liberal media blamed Reagan and lilitary spending for it.

Liam on July 7, 2013 at 7:39 PM

So what have the republicans ever done to even the score? effin little bastids sit there with their thumb up their pooper or have weak sisters facilitate our doom. Sorry for that, just needed to rant.

arnold ziffel on July 7, 2013 at 7:58 PM

The liberal media find that infuriating.

Liam on July 7, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Very true

sadsushi on July 7, 2013 at 8:04 PM

arnold ziffel on July 7, 2013 at 7:58 PM

It’s not a rant if it’s true. And, all you said is true.

Before I left the Republican Party, they had abandoned me. So, they can go f*ck fluffy ducks, far as I’m concerned. And if they think I’m going join them in perversions with cute little feathered animals, they have another thing coming.

Liam on July 7, 2013 at 8:06 PM

sadsushi on July 7, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Bush is putting his own money where his mouth is, while Clinton deducted the ‘value’ of his used undershorts as a ‘charitable donation’ at $2.50 each.

Liam on July 7, 2013 at 8:10 PM

sartana on July 7, 2013 at 7:17 PM

The Bushes leave
Clinton Global Initiative bails
Bill & Melinda Gates’ vaccine, well baby, & fresh water initiatives bug out
Care/Red Cross/Peace Corps, etc. abandon farms, hospitals, schools

There. Perhaps African-Americans (after all, we’re not African-Africans), Asians, Arabs, Jews, Religious volunteers–all who are called to service far from home–should simply keep our crusty asses out of do-gooding where we feel called.

As for “…stay on your side of the tracks, white boy”, now you just sound silly and very like a child.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 7, 2013 at 8:36 PM

sartana on July 7, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Ladies and gentlemen… proof that the race card has been so over played that it’s underlying hate is all that’s left.

RalphyBoy on July 7, 2013 at 9:20 PM

O’bama is cool because he says he was born in Hawai’i.

sartana on July 7, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Edited for Accuracy.

Z———-

Del Dolemonte on July 7, 2013 at 9:27 PM

itsnotaboutme on July 7, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Stick to your day job of cutting and drying whatever else it is that you are accustomed to cutting and drying.

simple speck-log argument

ericdijon on July 7, 2013 at 10:22 PM

bw222 on July 7, 2013 at 7:21 PM

*double facepalm*..

Dire Straits on July 7, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Patriot Act.

TARP.

Chief Justice John Roberts.

Strike three, you’re out, Bush.

SagebrushPuppet on July 7, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Yes, he demonstrated that as president.

rickv404 on July 7, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Heh. No need to read the rest of the comments.

Cleombrotus on July 7, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Oh my. Have I been sent to purgatory now?

SagebrushPuppet on July 7, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Yeah? Well how long’s it gonna take? Your country’s been sold down the river and that’s all you can say?

Spare me the religiosity.

Cleombrotus on July 7, 2013 at 10:55 PM

A loving God. That really says it all.

losarkos on July 8, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 7, 2013 at 8:36 PM

The continent of Africa is well beyond the sink or swim phase. The aid programs are nothing more than a modern indulgence racket for these fat, bloated Globalist creeps. Leave a legacy of complete societal breakdown, but pat the little black boy on the head-

Absolved!

The white boy/tracks comment is offensive but I’m not taking it back. They’ve earned it and I’ve earned the right to vent a little.

You’ll notice that the “splinter in my neighbor’s eye/log in my own” logic doesn’t stop Bush from attacking Conservative opposition to his nation-destroying Amnesty push, does it? Every chance he gets.

sartana on July 8, 2013 at 1:28 AM

PEREGUZKA!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 7, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Absolved!

sartana on July 8, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Methinks Mr Bush was merely afraid of being politically incorrect.

itsnotaboutme on July 7, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Actually, it’s in perfect context. None of us have the right to judge, God is our judge, not him, not you, not me. For we have all fallen short of the glory of God, and brother a miss is as good as a mile.

American Patriot1980 on July 8, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Phoney.

sartana on July 8, 2013 at 2:50 AM

Clearly Jesus sure shouldn’t have whipped those moneychangers from the temple.

Jesus claimed to be God.

George W. Bush doesn’t.

I don’t see the problem.

LagunaDave on July 8, 2013 at 3:29 AM

Class act.

Someone the Narcissist-in-Chief could learn from.

GarandFan on July 7, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Should be “Head Narcissist in Chief”.

Squiggy on July 8, 2013 at 5:09 AM

Go away Bush Decider Man but you can leave the beans….

Sherman1864 on July 8, 2013 at 7:12 AM

Bush was about America.

Obama is about Obama.

Liam on July 7, 2013 at 6:24 PM

There seems to be a broader pattern to this.

For all the political power Nixon weilded – before during and after his presidency, and both above- and beneath-board – you didn’t hear a lot from him after his resignation, nor Ford or Reagan. The Bushes of course continue to demonstrate quiet grace.

Contrast with Carter, Clinton, Gore, etc… cannot stay out of the spotlight to save their own souls… to say nothing of the Kennedy family riding their dynasty all the way into the sunset and beyond.

The Schaef on July 8, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Great interview.
And great answers to the predictable political baiting questions.
I know this will bother some – but a great similarity to Carter in his efforts and ambitions as an ex-President.

verbaluce on July 8, 2013 at 10:19 AM

The Schaef on July 8, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Kinda funny how you don’t see anything dynastic about the Bush family.
Sure…’contrast’.
Ha.

verbaluce on July 8, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I’ve noticed a lot of commentary on here about President Bush’s desire not to make statements about homosexuality and/or President Obama’s performance. The man’s position on homosexuality is well known and has been since his presidency. His reticence to bring up the question was not one of avoidance, but the desire to keep himself from being used as either news or a bludgeon for either side of the equation. The same goes for his desire to avoid overt criticism of President Obama. It demonstrates that President Bush has class and respect for the Presidency, something neither Clinton nor Carter have highlighted during the last decade. While President Bush certainly made a few mistakes while in office, none of them have had the crushing economic and foreign policy impact that Obama’s failures have created. So in the president’s own words, some of you might want to refrain from complaining about the spec in his eye when you’ve got a log in yours.

eyesights on July 8, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Neocons and their “American generosity”. What a piece of sh*t.

nottakingsides on July 8, 2013 at 1:31 PM

American Patriot1980 on July 8, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Completely false. We are not “The Judge”, but we most certainly can and SHOULD make judgments.

See 2 Thessalonians 3:6-15. How are you supposed to follow those commandments without making judgements, AKA “judging”? John 7:24 and several other verses tell us HOW to judge, yet you claim we’re told NOT to judge? Other verses are arguably even more direct about it.

Also see: http://www.vor.org/truth/sew/easychr/easych11.html