Quotes of the day

posted at 8:01 pm on July 7, 2013 by Allahpundit

The Republican-led House could start working on immigration bills focused on border security on the floor in July, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) said in a memo to colleagues sent Friday…

But much of how the House moves forward on immigration reform will depend on the feedback that leadership gets from a conference-wide meeting this Wednesday — which Cantor alluded to in his memo.

“I look forward to our special conference on July 10th on how to fix … our broken immigration system,” Cantor wrote.

***

House lawmakers already are hearing conservative calls to slow things down. And if the debate leaks into August — when Congress takes a nearly month-long recess — the prospects could get even more wobbly. The Tea Party, during the 2009 August recess, famously helped stall ObamaCare by storming town hall meetings and other events.

Tea Party groups may be preparing to again mount demonstrations during the summer break. And even if the House passes a bill this month, it’s unlikely the two chambers would be able to agree on a unified piece of legislation by August — leaving the work unfinished going into recess.

While Tea Partiers await that opening, they’re already beginning to stir the pot.

***

“I think it’s very important to fix a broken system, to treat people with respect, and have confidence in our capacity to assimilate people,” Bush said, in an interview with Jonathan Karl. “It’s a very difficult bill to pass because there’s a lot of moving parts. And the legislative process can be ugly. But it looks like they’re making some progress.”

He also expressed hope that House Republicans will pass a similar bill. “Sometimes, it takes time for some of these complex issues to evolve,” he said. “It looks like immigration [reform] has a chance to pass.”

“The reason to pass immigration reform is not to bolster the Republican party, it’s to fix a system that’s broken,” he added. “Good policy yields good politics as far as I’m concerned.”

***

Passing a bad immigration reform bill could politically damage the GOP, one prominent Hispanic Republican said Sunday morning.

“If we don’t do it right, politically it’s going to be the death of the Republican Party,” Rep. Raul Labrador (R-Idaho), a leading GOP voice on immigration reform, said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”…

“If we do it right I think it’s going to be good for us,” Labrador said on Meet the Press. “But if we don’t do it right what’s going to happen is we’re going to lose our base because we’re still going to have a large number of illegal immigrants coming into the United States, and the Hispanic community is not going to listen to us because they’re going to always listen at this point to the people that are offering more, that are offering a faster pathway to citizenship.

***

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) is on a collision course with House conservatives over immigration reform…

Some political observers believe it’s just a matter of time before McCain aggressively goes after House GOP members for not voting on the Senate-passed immigration measure…

“Most of what [McCain] will do, in my anticipation is through the media. … He likes to drop a little bomb and watch how people will react, and he’ll do it again,” King said in an interview with The Hill.

King said McCain “should have learned his lesson” when he tried to pass immigration reform with the late Sen. Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.).

***

“What the Senate just passed was, again, a bunch of candy thrown down there — a bunch of assets thrown down there to gain votes but without a methodical, smart border approach. We want a smart border and smart immigration plan, something that makes sense,” Rep. Mike McCaul (R-Texas) said on CBS’s “Face The Nation.”

McCaul said that he’s concerned President Barack Obama doesn’t want the House to pass an immigration bill so that he can use it as political leverage ahead of the 2014 elections.

“The White House would like to see this fail in the House so that [Obama] can blame the House of Representatives for that and then try to take back the House of Representatives and then all bets are off on his agenda,” McCaul said.

***

Cutting illegal immigration by between 33 percent and 50 percent (a fairly big range) is not exactly a passing grade. According to one estimate, the CBO’s original report on S. 744 suggested that, ten years from the bill’s passage, there could be 8.3 million illegal immigrants in the US. This new CBO report suggests that S. 744 would now shave that number down to 7.5 million illegal immigrants. Senator Rubio said last month that “none of us wants to be here five years from now facing 5 million illegal immigrants more, another wave of illegal immigration,” but under even the newly amended bill, there could easily be over 7 million illegal immigrants in the U.S. by 2023.

One of the major limitations of Corker-Hoeven is that it fixates on border security, but many illegal immigrants are visa-overstayers (a demographic that could grow under the guest-worker programs of the bill). Interior enforcement would seem very important for reducing illegal immigration. Some GOP leaders have suggested trading immediate legalization for the promise of future enforcement, but this report suggests that even such future enforcement might not be sufficient, assuming that enforcement happens at all. The administration’s decision to delay the Obamacare employer mandate reminds us that future enforcement strategies might also be delayed — perhaps indefinitely.

***

Four Augusts ago, Congress was busy passing — in order to find out what was in it — a different mammoth, because “comprehensive,” bill. During the August 2009 recess, legislators conducted often-tumultuous town hall meetings, where they discovered that intensity resided disproportionately among opponents of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA). Opponents’ anger was registered emphatically in congressional elections 15 months later, which is one reason why implementation of the act’s most onerous provisions was delayed until 2014, after the 2012 presidential election.

The PPACA remains unpopular, and there are congressional elections in years divisible by two — not even the Obama administration can ignore that constitutional fact — so last Tuesday, the administration said this about the act’s mandate that in 2014, large employers provide expensive health-care coverage for their workers or pay a substantial penalty: Never mind…

This lesson in the Obama administration’s approach to the rule of law is pertinent to the immigration bill, which at last count had 222 instances of a discretionary “may” and 153 of “waive.” Such language means that were the Senate bill to become law, the executive branch would be able to do pretty much as it pleases, even to the point of saying about almost anything: Never mind.

***

I’ve seen a lot of intellectually weak cases in this town. I’ve rarely seen as intellectually a weak case as the case against the Senate immigraiton bill. The Republicans say they want to reduce illegal immigration; the Congressional Budget Office says the Senate bill will reduce it by a third to half. They say they want economic growth; all the top conservative economists say it’ll produce economic growth. They say they want to reduce the debt; the CBO says it will reduce the debt. All the big major objectives the Republicans stand for, the Senate immigration bill will do. The other things they’re talking about are secondary and tertiary issues. Whether we get 86% border protection or 90%—compared to the big things this bill does, they’re miniscule. I’m mystified.

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

***

***

There’s this underwear gnomes arguments coming from Barack Obama, right? Help Barack Obama get an immigration bill that includes amnesty so he can have a big signing ceremony.

That’s step one. Step two is a question mark. And step three is Republicans win the Hispanic vote. I’m not sure how that argument plays out, and very few Republicans are convinced by that. A lot of Republicans just sort of assert that.

What we really is the industry, the K. Street, the Chamber of Commerce pushing for something that will bring in more workers and that will help business. But this cuts against the idea of trying to get the missing white voters. Because the missing white voters aren’t the Southerners that you spent the opening talking about — the missing white voters are people in Pennsylvania, in Ohio, all the way down to Nevada, who are working class whites, who feel left out by both Democrats and Republicans.

Click the image to watch.

ch

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I’ll overlook the lack of pants since you overlooked that I meant exceptional.

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2013 at 12:20 AM

No ma’am, you had it right the first time—”the rest of you puds are an exception.”

arnold ziffel on July 8, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Did he sing the original or was it Clapton?

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2013 at 12:29 AM

…oh you’re right!…I just asked my daughter…and she said…”and you talk about Senile Senators from Arizona!”

KOOLAID2 on July 8, 2013 at 12:34 AM

williamg on July 8, 2013 at 12:32 AM

I love guitar music. Big crunchy guitar music. It’s good for your circulation.

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2013 at 12:35 AM

KOOLAID2 on July 8, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Did he sing the original or was it Clapton?

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Clapton – it’s a “Cream” song……..since Richard is from the U.K. – and played around with Eric a lot, I have no doubt that they played around with it in public on numerous occaisions……heck – Jimi Hendrix used to hang out an play with Richard when Jimi was in the U.K.

williamg on July 8, 2013 at 12:35 AM

KOOLAID2 on July 8, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Well, as luck would have it. All of us are wrong. Clapton played guitar but apparently Jack Bruce, the bassist, was the vocalist. Sounded like Clapton to me. He doesn’t have the strongest voice but then he doesn’t need to have the strong voice when he can play like he does.

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Anyone sees Sophie, love on her a little. A LITTLE. She should be loved on. Bought things. Her visage painted. Given at least one major war to her credit.

I’m out. I’m for Denmark. I’ve written a few lines and asked a player to recite them tonight at the performance before my mother and my uncle/father, hoping to hit a nerve that will tell me that he truly did kill my father. I’m hoping that the certainty will take my doubts away, help me resolve myself in my revenge — but the certainty will come, and my doubts will remain.

Night everyone!

¡Buenas noches a todos!

Axe on July 8, 2013 at 12:39 AM

williamg on July 8, 2013 at 12:35 AM

The Husband read a book by the Beatles’ sound editor and it is very interesting to hear their thoughts about Hendrix before he went large.

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Axe on July 8, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Sleep tight and Hamlet, don’t do anything rash.

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Good Night, Axe.

tommy71 on July 8, 2013 at 12:42 AM

I love guitar music. Big crunchy guitar music. It’s good for your circulation.

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2013 at 12:35 AM

This guy co-wrote “Cradle of Love” with Billy Idol.

This song isn’t bad – I like the second much better:

David Werner – “One More Wild Guitar”

David Werner – “Cold Shivers”

Anti-Control on July 8, 2013 at 12:46 AM

KOOLAID2 on July 8, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Not to be an OCD audiophile – but they Both sang on that song. Jack Bruce and Eric traded parts. Jack sings the verses that began like “In the White Room, with Black curtains….”. and Eric sings the choruses that begin like “I’ll wait in this place, where the sun never shines….”…..Then they trade off throughout the song……

Like this……..

Never question my knowledge of music (ha-ha)…..anything that’s not important: is kept in my head

williamg on July 8, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Like this……..

williamg on July 8, 2013 at 12:49 AM

You come up with some awesome stuff—as well as a bit different. I like it.

arnold ziffel on July 8, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Anti-Control on July 8, 2013 at 12:46 AM

I’m a metal head but I appreciate the solos, they are non-existent in the current crop of music. I miss them.

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2013 at 12:54 AM

You come up with some awesome stuff—as well as a bit different. I like it.

arnold ziffel on July 8, 2013 at 12:52 AM

I own about 4,000 record albums and about 10,000 CDs…….I’ve been told recently – by Mike Morone of the Satellite Radio station “The Loft” – that I have a “puny” collection…..

…..actually – he’s right…..

williamg on July 8, 2013 at 12:55 AM

BTW – my SHYGF says “Hi” to Axe and everyone else here……..

williamg on July 8, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Me too.

Grunge/alternative ruined hard rock/metal for the most part, imo…

Anti-Control on July 8, 2013 at 12:58 AM

You come up with some awesome stuff—as well as a bit different. I like it.

arnold ziffel on July 8, 2013 at 12:52 AM

….and I forgot to say: “Thanks”, Arnold…..Thanks!

williamg on July 8, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Mott The Hoople – “Jerkin’ Crocus”

Anti-Control on July 8, 2013 at 12:59 AM

williamg on July 8, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Good, I may have known that when the song actually came out but as we know it’s been a year or two. I went and looked it up. I thought the guy you saw tonight did a great job with it. Covers are tricky, you can try to get it dead on but it’s seldom that straying from the original isn’t a bit jarring for fans. That said, I don’t think I have ever heard a bad rendition of “Heard It Through The Grapevine”. I’m sure it’s out there but I hope never to hear it.

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2013 at 1:00 AM

williamg on July 8, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Hey, SHYGF.

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2013 at 1:01 AM

williamg on July 8, 2013 at 12:49 AM

You come up with some awesome stuff—as well as a bit different. I like it.

arnold ziffel on July 8, 2013 at 12:52 AM

PS williamg. Got a big kick out of how many women under forty who were not even around with the group Cream were having such a great time. Shows to go you that Pop still has it going on. Well, some do.

arnold ziffel on July 8, 2013 at 1:01 AM

cream, royal albert hall, 2005

Fred

jrsrigmvr on July 8, 2013 at 1:03 AM

I remember a friend dating a younger girl back in the 70′s and she didn’t know who Booker T & the Mgs were. We were probably unkind. Now I know that as long as someone is open to new (old) stuff, that’s good.

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2013 at 1:00 AM

For anyone who doubts the existence of Hell:

Taylor Swift – “I Heard It through the Grapevine”

Anti-Control on July 8, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Ace usually has a video dump at the end of the week, I guess it is stuff that has gone viral. There was a video of a large rock concert, with numerous bands playing. While they were waiting for Red Hot Chili Peppers to take the stage, Bohemian Rhapsody was being played and the whole stadium was singing it. It was cool.

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Anti-Control on July 8, 2013 at 1:06 AM

I’ll take your word for it, I’m not going to click. I can’t stand bubble gum music. She’s a lovely girl but her genre is not meant for me.

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2013 at 1:10 AM

For a government agency funded by U.S. taxpayers to deny and censor the press, under the guise of “national security” regarding a U.S. citizen who believes he was illegally targeted by the NSA embeds a dangerous, unaccountable, lawless monster into the NSA system that cannot easily be corrected or rooted out. Ultimately this permanent all-powerful agency will become a self-contained criminal enterprise, a Gestapo, immune from any accountability be it from Congress or the Justice Department as it is shielded from all meaningful scrutiny by way of executive orders—and by the President who holds the office and signs them.

Washington and the National Security Agency (NSA) are operating on two sets of books. One that everyday Americans have to go by and a second set for President Barack Obama, his benefactors and political allies. It’s the U.S. Constitution versus Executive Orders. The U.S. citizens and journalists versus President Obama.

This executive branch tyrannical, foggy, black cloud will suffocate America into a long dark night of dictatorial oppression if it is not stopped. Clearly what America got under the auspices of protecting the homeland under the U.S. Patriot Act was a bait and switch. The NSA was created for the purpose of conducting external surveillance, not for surveillance inside the United States against U.S. citizens, yet under the Obama administration journalists and American citizens are viewed as a threat to the government, and therefore a risk to national security. The purpose of the Freedom of Information Act was to provide a mechanism for citizens and journalist to know exactly what is going on in their government. That’s why it is called the Freedom of Information Act and not the Politicians-You’ve-Just Gotta’-Trust-Us Act.

In How Extensive is the NSA Domestic Surveillance of U.S. Media? Is it legal?, I first reported the NSA’s illegal targeting of two domestically based U.S. citizens, both media personalities, two days before Edward Snowden’s NSA revelations rocked the world. The May 30 NSA incident included the collection of content. As it was described to me, the NSA apparently collected a domestic phone conversation between media personality Doug Hagmann and another media person, inside the United States real-time, and forwarded the data retrieval codes and routing information to other parties. This is a misuse of the NSA’s intelligence gathering tools according to their Charter. This misuse most likely benefits persons with political agendas and is intended to intimidate, silence and root out sources and whistleblowers. It’s no secret that the Obama administration has a war on whistleblowers. It’s also not a secret that Hagmann has been extensively and exclusively reporting on Benghazi and the DHS.

VorDaj on July 8, 2013 at 1:14 AM

I don’t know what it is about this but I have always enjoyed this performance.

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2013 at 1:10 AM

It’s good you skipped it – she is a horrible live singer! I have heard a few decent songs from her, but overall I am with you about her.

Have you of these people? They had 2 (good) albums in the 70′s. Their only flaw I thought was that some of their songs went on too long – otherwise they were great!

The Godz – “Under the Table”

Anti-Control on July 8, 2013 at 1:16 AM

For anyone who doubts the existence of Hell:

Taylor Swift – “I Heard It through the Grapevine”

Anti-Control on July 8, 2013 at 1:06 AM

That’s all right buddy. I’ll track you down and get even somehow. Pretty girl, nasty song. Oh and the tats, definite turn off.

arnold ziffel on July 8, 2013 at 1:21 AM

VorDaj on July 8, 2013 at 1:14 AM

I’d be willing to bet that we don’t know the half of it.

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Anti-Control on July 8, 2013 at 1:16 AM

I don’t recognize them but I have probably forgotten more music than I care to think about. Speaking of live, I felt that way about Hendrix. Awesome guitar playing, voice was better out of the studio. Of course I don’t know how much the drugs played in that.

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2013 at 1:28 AM

VorDaj on July 8, 2013 at 1:14 AM

I’d be willing to bet that we don’t know the half of it.

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2013 at 1:23 AM

But we probably shouldn’t worry. Barack Obama and Dick Cheney both say it’s all for our own good.

VorDaj on July 8, 2013 at 1:31 AM

I love that hiccup (for a lack of a better term) that Joe Walsh does.

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2013 at 1:32 AM

VorDaj on July 8, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Both of them can go forth and multiply.

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2013 at 1:33 AM

That’s all right buddy. I’ll track you down and get even somehow.

lol

I wonder what you might want to do to me about this?

The Rolling Stones & Taylor Swift – “As Tears Go By” (live)

Pretty girl, nasty song. Oh and the tats, definite turn off.

arnold ziffel on July 8, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Oh, I do I ever agree! Hopefully it was a temp!

Anti-Control on July 8, 2013 at 1:34 AM

time

Adios: vaya con dios

Fred

jrsrigmvr on July 8, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Kirk’s use of the slide beats out Seger’s brass for me.

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Both of them can go forth and multiply.

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Hopefully any offspring they have are sterile.

VorDaj on July 8, 2013 at 1:41 AM

I wonder what you might want to do to me about this?

The Rolling Stones & Taylor Swift – “As Tears Go By” (live)

Anti-Control on July 8, 2013 at 1:34 AM

I’ll think of your torture later. Right now I would like to know why she is considered a star? What I be missing? Whiny little blonde. Dime a dozen.

arnold ziffel on July 8, 2013 at 1:43 AM

VorDaj on July 8, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Darwin!

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2013 at 1:51 AM

I’m going to call it a night. It’s been great. Sweet dreams!!

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Kirk’s use of the slide beats out Seger’s brass for me.

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Do you like Slayer? I think I’d have to say they’re my favorite metal band.

Tom Araya is one of the greatest vocalists of any genre, and if anyone would have to ask why I believe that, they probably won’t ever understand! :)

Slayer – “Angel of Death”

Anti-Control on July 8, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Anti-Control on July 8, 2013 at 1:57 AM

I do like Slayer.

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2013 at 2:09 AM

“Just two weeks ago, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid assured us that Ted Kennedy would “smile at all of us” when the Senate passed the Gang of Eight immigration bill.”

And Teddy then crawled up from the pit of Hell and put his arm around Marco Rubio, and said in a voice slurred from perpetual drunkeness “Son, you would have made a hellluva Kennedy”

VorDaj on July 8, 2013 at 2:26 AM

The Bangles’ “Manic Monday

derit on July 8, 2013 at 4:14 AM

Pilot’s “It’s Magic

derit on July 8, 2013 at 4:34 AM

Good Morning, Patriots! “Gender-Neutral” Restrooms and Locker Rooms in our nation’s schools? This won’t end well. ““Anti-Bullying” Campaigns and California’s Bill 1266: Socially Engineering Our Children” My take.

kingsjester on July 8, 2013 at 6:44 AM

The “independent” CBO is a scam
It cooks the books

Any idiot can see that millions of welfare dependent illegals will wipe out our healthcare and welfare systems

On a per capita basis, they are in the minus column as far as contributing to national wealth creation; they take more than they contribute.

The EITC alone makes their tax contributions laughable.

Lets concentrate on letting in college-educated engineers and healthcare professionals. They are currently stuck in the lines for legal immigration while we reward the semiliterate illegals. Why punish the good and reward the guilty?

TexasJew on July 8, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Bryan Preston raises a significant question:

onlineanalyst on July 8, 2013 at 7:47 AM

VDH: Nemesis is a plodding god.

onlineanalyst on July 8, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Interpretation…We have to figure out how we can pass an amnesty bill without getting thrown out of office.

cajunpatriot on July 8, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I don’t hear a lot of people out here in fly-over country clamoring for Congress to pass immigration reform.

The House leadership listens to their consultants at DC cocktail parties a little too closely.

Drop the whole thing and let the Senate passing its Amnesty bill be immigration’s last gasp. No one will be outraged but Dems and members of the MSM (but I repeat myself).

DRayRaven on July 8, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Take a good long look at that picture accompanying this thread!

There are four very good reasons for Term Limitation in Congress! Especially in the Senate!

pilamaye on July 8, 2013 at 9:26 AM