More and more Americans are becoming concealed-carry permit holders

posted at 2:31 pm on July 5, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

Firearms sales have been on the up and up since President Obama was elected in 2008, and the federal government’s attempt to pass more national gun-control measures did nothing to quell the firearms industry’s personal economic boom. It isn’t merely gun sales, however, that have lately been experiencing a major surge; the WSJ has the numbers indicating an encouraging trend of more and more Americans taking the responsibility of carrying a concealed weapon upon their person. We’re only halfway through 2013, and it already looks like plenty of states are on track for their biggest permitting years on record:

Since July 1 of last year, Florida has granted more than 173,000 new concealed-carry permits, up 17% from the year before and twice as many as five years ago, for a total of about 1.09 million permits in the state.

Ohio, meanwhile, is on pace to nearly double last year’s total of 65,000 new permits, which would be nearly three times as many as in 2007. And Oklahoma, Tennessee, Wyoming and Nebraska all have nearly matched or surpassed last year’s totals with half of 2013 still to go.

A dozen states surveyed for this article, including Texas, Utah and Wisconsin, issued 537,000 permits last year, an 18% increase compared with a year prior and more than double the number issued in 2007. Early figures for 2013 show many states are on pace for their biggest year ever. …

“I suppose it’s the same reason people are reporting gun sales are up and ammunition sales are up,” said Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine, referring to concern among gun owners about the recent push for gun control. “It’s nothing unique in Ohio.…It seems to be a consistent trend across the board.”

The mass murders in Newton, Connecticut and Aurora, Colorado spurred a gun debate at not only the national but the state level, and much of the media focus was on states that undertook efforts to tighten their gun laws (Connecticut, New York, Maryland, California, and Colorado figuring prominently).

Plenty of states, however, actually went about easing up on gun laws; the WSJ mentions that at least 20 states have loosened laws on concealed-carry, according to the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. Individual states’ measures have included making permits cheaper and easier to gets, doing away with permits altogether, allowing concealed carry in more places, and/or generally streamlining the process through which their law-abiding residents can exercise their Second-Amendment freedoms and protect themselves and their families, neighbors, and communities.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

[Oldnuke on July 5, 2013 at 4:30 PM]

Thanks for the reminder, Oldnuke. It’s been so long since I’ve seen that option, I’d forgotten all about it.

Dusty on July 5, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Please get training before you carry.

tdarrington on July 5, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Ooh, ….

First, page 2!

Dusty on July 5, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Here, I made this site for myself and any other shooting enthusiasts out there:

Gun Information and Links

Don’t worry. It’s not for profit. I don’t accept advertising or make a nickel off it. It’s a hobby and labor of love.

justltl on July 5, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Here’s my accompanying blog:

Molon Labe

As you can see, it’s really taken off.
Should be bigger than Hot Air any day now.

justltl on July 5, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Please get training before you carry.

tdarrington on July 5, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Everywhere that a permit of some kind is required for concealed carry has training as a prerequisite to get the permit (as far as I know).
But specific training requirements do vary from state to state.

dentarthurdent on July 5, 2013 at 6:18 PM

But specific training requirements do vary from state to state.

dentarthurdent on July 5, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Indiana requires nothing but a background check for concealed/ open carry. You can get a permit, buy a gun at Cabelas and stroll out the door with it strapped to your hip without seeing a range, or even so much as an info pamphlet.

tdarrington on July 5, 2013 at 6:26 PM

But specific training requirements do vary from state to state.

dentarthurdent on July 5, 2013 at 6:18 PM

No training required in Georgia. It’s dangerous to allow democratics to require training, because then they can make it onerously expensive, only available on a long waiting list, they can allow government officials to determine who can sign up for training, etc.

I agree it’s wise to take the initiative on your own and get firearms training, whether you carry or not.

slickwillie2001 on July 5, 2013 at 6:54 PM

I just wanted to invite you all to the Ohioans for Concealed Carry discussion forum. We have folks from all over, (not just Ohio) who discuss all aspects of armed citizenship. New shooters and old hands welcome. Join us, won’t you? Tell em’ Mux sent you.

Buck Turgidson on July 5, 2013 at 7:05 PM

slickwillie2001 on July 5, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Took exactly 88 days for mine from day of reception to day of issuance. The limit is 90 days. Bastards.

Lanceman on July 5, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Proud to say that I’m one of the new concealed carry permit holders.

On the right I have a Glock 26 in an inside the waist holster, and on the left my Ruger LCP fits quite nicely in a wallet holster in either my front or back pocket.

Anyone else notice how comforting the presence of the two holsters (and guns) make you feel?

Narniaman on July 5, 2013 at 7:10 PM

One of the local news stations here in western PA did what turned out to be an unintentionally hilarious report a couple weeks ago. They interviewed a local gun shop owner and his employee who open carries their guns as you are permitted to do in Pennsylvania. The idea was to have the two men visit a chain restaurant during lunch hour with their guns on their belts to gauge the reaction of the other customers.

The TV station went all out (LOL); they put a bunch of closed-circuit cameras in various places in the restaurant to observe what they thought would be the other customers expressing surprise, or perhaps outrage, that two guys had the audacity to walk into a restaurant at lunch hour with guns in holsters on their belts as if it was the Wild West.

Then they interviewed the other customers to ask them what they thought about it and that’s when their report fell flatter than a pancake. Every customer, save one, knew it was legal to open carry in Pennsylvania and it did not bother them one whit. Not only that, but some of the customers made it a point to tell the reporters that they had concealed-carry permits as well, and one woman said seeing the two men with their guns made her feel safer.

I was laughing my head off at the whole thing, especially the anchor babe, who was breathlessly trying to make it seem as though it was surprising that the two guys had their guns in plain view, but she couldn’t quite reconcile the main inconvenient fact that none of the customers seemed to care and were in favor of it. LOLOLOL!

PatriotGal2257 on July 5, 2013 at 7:11 PM

I received my TX CHL in April. My fire-arm of choice is a S&W .38 Special. I’m considering adding a ladies-cut semi-auto to my ‘arsenal’ as well. At 5’2 and around 120, I’m not exactly an amazon-but with my CHL-me and the criminal element…are now on equal footing.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 5, 2013 at 8:26 PM

OK once again I repeat:
Just because you buy a piano doesn’t make you a musician (or pianist in this specific case). Do research, buy wisely, get training, listen to others and learn from their experience(s). If you intend to carry do so with ALL the rules and regulations understood fully and completely. Read up on the subject. Learn about the conditions: White, Yellow, Orange and avoid circumstances that get you into the RED zone.
BUT if it happens and avoidance is beyond grasp keep calm, think fast, work out your IMMEDIATE actions. Follow these simple steps:
Shoot FIRST, Shoot STRAIGHT, Shoot FAST, Shoot LAST. If the cops show up, put your weapon down, SHOW them YOUR HANDS … say nothing potentially incriminating to them. (This is hard but there are books out there that explain most of these scenarios. Want to learn something? READ A BOOK.)
AS SOON AS possible … WRITE DOWN EVERYTING YOU EXPERIENCED. EVERYTHING!
At your first opportunity CALL YOUR LAWYER. Follow her/his advice.
Prepare yourself for a TOTAL change in your life’s trajectory.
Nothing will be the same … ever.
The only one on your side at this time in your life … is YOU!
And hope that the local prosecutor has more important things to do than to mess with you.

Missilengr on July 5, 2013 at 9:09 PM

The States understand the difference between “rights” and “permissions”. You do not need permission to exercise your rights: they come with the turf.

Will the Feds learn? (Sigh.)

ss396 on July 5, 2013 at 9:26 PM

I have been around firearms from the time i was 5.I was taught respect and gun safety from a early age.Both my wife and myself have been carrying concealed for more than 10 years.If you are going to carry yes at least no how to shoot.also carry a weapon that you are comfortable with.Do not carry under powered or over powered weapon . Small cal like 32 and below just don,t have the power you need.I carry a 45 acp 10+1 as my main weapon and a 357 mag. 5 shot as a back up.My wife carry’s a 45 acp 6+1 and a bond 357 mag. derringer as a backup.The rule should be carry a weapon that you are comfortable with and will do the job in stopping some punk.

logman1 on July 5, 2013 at 10:11 PM

The only time I’ve ever seen a serious shooter firing a gun that way was while he was demonstrating how lousy one-hand technique is.

PD Quig on July 5, 2013 at 10:28 PM

logman1 on July 5, 2013 at 10:11 PM

And remember the first rule of a gunfight: HAVE A GUN

tngmv on July 5, 2013 at 10:30 PM

When you live in a country where the president believes he is a regent and does not need to adhere to the rule of law, you are on your own. They’re not coming to your rescue.

Philly on July 5, 2013 at 10:40 PM

PD Quig on July 5, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Definitely easier and more accurate to shoot with two hands. It’s also obviously better for managing recoil for quick and accurate follow up shots.
That being said, however, if you want to take it to the next level in terms of defensive shooting, it’s a good idea to train how to shoot and manipulate a handgun with one hand.

justltl on July 5, 2013 at 11:44 PM

For that matter, it also applies to a shotgun or rifle for defensive purposes.

justltl on July 5, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Here, I made this site for myself and any other shooting enthusiasts out there:

Gun Information and Links

justltl on July 5, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Thanks for sharing your labors!
Just FWIW, for those of us with (ahem) a more mature ocular apparatus, it is hard to read white-on-black screen-type, and the green font pretty much fades away.

AesopFan on July 6, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Thank you, AesopFan!
I’ll try a dark type on a light background.
I appreciate the feedback!
Any other suggestions are most welcome. Including any content requests.
If any other shooters out there have any content requests or info that they’d find useful, I can add stuff. It gives me something fun to do in my spare time.

justltl on July 6, 2013 at 6:51 AM

AS SOON AS possible … WRITE DOWN EVERYTING YOU EXPERIENCED. EVERYTHING!
At your first opportunity CALL YOUR LAWYER. Follow her/his advice.
Prepare yourself for a TOTAL change in your life’s trajectory….

Missilengr on July 5, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Let me add one, especially with the Zimmerman case so prominent.

If your local laws (and/or morals as the case may be) allow it, carry a recorder any and every time you carry your firearm.

If the worst happens and you need it, don’t disclose that you have a recording of the events until you’ve called your lawyer.

Phones have great recording apps these days, fwiw. Some even upload the recordings elsewhere so they can’t be accidentally lost or erased, cracker.

rogerb on July 6, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Something to know about Colorado, besides the recall elections coming for the Democrat President of the State Senate and the Democrat State Representative who are the faces of the anti-Second Amendment laws they passed last session.

The County Sheriffs of 54 of the 63 Colorado counties have filed suit to overturn those laws as unconstitutional and being impossible to enforce. Colorado TEA Parties and other supporters of the Second Amendment have formed a movement called “Support Our Sheriffs/Support the Second Amendment”. We are an open carry state, with a few exceptions.

There are parades in various towns for holidays and local festivals. “SOS/S2A” has been entering marching units in these parades. They are always led by at least the Sheriff of the county the parade is in [who is the chief law enforcement official of the county] and usually several other Sheriffs. We march. Under arms. Openly carrying. As a concession to insurance liability rules, weapons are unloaded, long guns slung, pistols in holsters. But there is nothing preventing magazines and speed loaders from being in pockets. And of course, legal concealed carry is unaffected.

In Canon City, Colorado in May we had a block long entry.

On July 4th, because of death threats by “unknown parties” against members of the Chamber of Commerce which sponsored the parade,the Town of Westcliffe, Colorado itself took over direct control of the parade. And “SOS/S2A” marched. 500 Patriots [even by MSM count] under arms, a mounted unit, and several floats.

Tuesday, we will be at the Pikes Peak or Bust Rodeo parade in Colorado Springs, led by Sheriff Maketa and several other Sheriffs. And there are other events on the calendar.

Everywhere we go, we are met with overwhelming cheers and applause.

If you would have your local officials stand up for your rights, you have to publicly show them that you have their backs.

Subotai Bahadur on July 6, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Small nit here, but Florida doesn’t issue CC permits; we only give out licenses. (The proper name here is a Concealed Weapons/Firearm License.)

Aquarian on July 6, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Subotai Bahadur on July 6, 2013 at 2:15 PM

It may be too late, Colorado is doing to their election laws what WA state did years ago.

Colorado Bill Offers More Mail Ballots, Election-Day Registration

slickwillie2001 on July 6, 2013 at 5:08 PM

….. I’m not exactly an amazon-but with my CHL-me and the criminal element…are now on equal footing.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 5, 2013 at 8:26 PM

(note to self … don’t assault ‘twerp )

listens2glenn on July 7, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Just renewed my CCW permit here in Nebraska. Good for another 5 years.

Yakko77 on July 7, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Indiana’s License to Carry Handgun can be purchased as lifetime term and also does not define how to carry so open carry is in fact legal with the license.

aikidoka on July 7, 2013 at 11:24 PM

I would love to know how many people entered the world of gun ownership because of Obama. My wife and I did, the moment that CNN/Fox declared him the winner in ’08. I shut the tv off, fired up the laptop and signed both of us up for concealed handgun license classes. We didn’t even own guns yet, but we knew that the election of this radical anti-gunner was going to make things difficult. So, we began our journey and now own several weapons of varying types. And we’ve got our kids into it as well.

Anyone else in a similar situation?

TheLoudTalker on July 7, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Subotai Bahadur on July 6, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Amen Subotai. You must first fight for a man at his back before you can expect him to do the same for you.

Chaz706 on July 8, 2013 at 3:08 AM

More and more Americans are becoming concealed-carry permit holders

Side Effect:

Concealed-Carry laws (mostly) not eased in liberal enclaves. Criminals seek path of least resistance. Hilarity ensues.

roy_batty on July 8, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Subotai Bahadur on July 6, 2013 at 2:15 PM

That really cuts through the clutter, great reminder.

roy_batty on July 8, 2013 at 10:50 AM

yeah, terrific, the only problem is we’ll all eventually run out of ammo (have to practice somehow – between my wife an I, I went through about 350 rounds yesterday). That’s what the left wing progressives have decided is the only way to defeat the 2nd amendment. Have the government buy up all the ammo.

kirkill on July 8, 2013 at 12:52 PM

roy_batty on July 8, 2013 at 10:47 AM

If funny until a liberal gets hurt. Then it’s Hilarious!

kirkill on July 8, 2013 at 12:54 PM

kirkill on July 8, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I haven’t had any trouble finding ammo in Colorado lately – but finding it at a reasonable price is a different story.
Lots of ammo at the gun shows, but prices are high. I just bought some .357 Magnum (50 rds for $25) and .40 S&W (50 rds for $23) at a gun show this weekend. Both boxes a few dollars higher than what I pay when I can wait in line on delivery day at Sportsman’s Warehouse, but not totaly outrageous.

dentarthurdent on July 8, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Let me add one, especially with the Zimmerman case so prominent.

Good advice but be very careful about the local laws part. Recording without the other party’s consent may be criminal offense. Just one of the many potential traps for the unwary.

Lammo on July 8, 2013 at 6:55 PM

The one-hand firing position depicted in the photo illustrates proper posture for either Timed or Rapid fire stages of a 900 aggregate. If you give a crap about pistol marksmanship you will get involved with bulls-eye competition. Gives one a sense of humility when the 95 pound woman next to you cleans a rapid fire stage (perfect score 100) while you’re still leaking shots into the 8-ring.
Oh, and when you get to the Expert level you’ll find that your two handed standing precision will approach that of a rifle shooter at reasonable pistol ranges. (re: Pistol Silhouette)
And if you REALLY want to hone your pistol marksmanship skills … get into Air Gun.
As an old Texas Range once remarked,
‘Speed is fine, but accuracy is final.’

Missilengr on July 9, 2013 at 2:05 PM

How is it that as of today, Chicago now has “must issue” concealed carry and California is still a “may let you apply” state?

True story:
I was the early 1990′s and I was a handicapped (mangled leg from a motorcycle accident) vet who delivered kilos of narcotic IV bags to terminal patients (mostly in home cancer patients) throughout LA, Orange, San Bernardino, and Riverside counties. I went to the Riverside Sheriff’s office to apply for a CC permit. I had an interview where they asked me about my job and if I had been threatened. I explained what I did (hello??? kilos of narcotics) and that I had been followed back to my SUV several times. They politely informed me that I could not apply for a permit.

Gee, I guess they can say that my permit application was not denied, since I never got to apply!!

When is some common sense going to come to the Left Coast?

SpudmanWP on July 9, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I really just wanted my name on the Obama/Holder (long) list of people they’d better take serious.

Actually, the ones they should be worried about are those of us who have guns handed down and traded back and forth through private sales. Plus, I built two AR-15 libtard frighteners.

Hammie on July 9, 2013 at 7:38 PM