Classy: Pro-abortion protesters drown out “Amazing Grace” with chants of “Hail Satan”

posted at 8:51 am on July 3, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

I admit I was skeptical of this story when it came across my e-mail yesterday evening.  Generally speaking, stories that are either too good or too bad to be true aren’t. Even at the beginning of this short clip, it’s nearly impossible to make out what the pro-abortion protesters are yelling — at least until the camera swings around, and a young woman helpfully boosts the message.

Classy:

It’s been a very interesting day at the Texas State Capitol.  Cahnman’s Musings hasn’t been following the hearing.  Instead, we’ve been participating in the surrounding events.  LetTexasSpeak has been doing a live broadcast from the rotunda where women have been sharing their abortion related testimonies.  The pro-abortion crowd has responded with repeated chants of “hail Satan.”  It’s taken us all day to get a video recording, but here it is … For the record: They’ve been doing this all day, this is just the first time we caught it on video.

CNN Express also picked it up at the time, although it’s unclear whether this made it to broadcast (via Twitchy):

The Blaze reported it late last night:

The abortion battle in Texas was still raging Tuesday as both abortion supporters and pro-life activists flooded the State Capitol to make their voices heard. The Texas House and Senate reconvened briefly for a special session called by Gov. Rick Perry.

One of the more bizarre tactics used by pro-abortion activists involved chanting “Hail Satan!” to harass a pro-life crowd as they sang “Amazing Grace.” …

Obviously, it is much more likely that the abortion supporters were chanting “Hail Satan!” to mock pro-lifers rather than actually hailing Lucifer, but anything is possible.

I’m certain that the intent was mockery.  The overall effect of chanting “Hail Satan”? That’s another story, but one of those effects is surely clarity.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

OT (somewhat) –

Happy Independence Day, all.
Hope you enjoy some family and BBQ and catch a parade.
Weather in Maine is looking up…
Catch ya next week.

verbaluce on July 3, 2013 at 3:10 PM

verbaluce on July 3, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Before you take your leave, allow me to ask you a question:

They were chanting “Hail Satan” and “Jesus should have been aborted”.

Would that will never cross the lips He gave me.

Would you say what they did?

…I mean…since, according to you, it was not that big of a deal.

kingsjester on July 3, 2013 at 3:15 PM

It stuns me that conservtives think that an obnoxious protest is somehow more indicative of extremism than laws which close all the abortion clinics but one in a state.

libfreeordie on July 3, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Right, this law is wrong…

Abortion clinics should NOT have to meet the hygiene, cleanliness, or oversight required by EVERY other medical clinic in Texas since 1985… because operating on a woman’s hoo-haw doesn’t have to be clean… do it in the pig barn. They’re only women.

Second, they’d only have until Sept 2014 to raise their standards. Expecting abortion clinics to clean their places up so you could do real surgery there would take more than 14 months… they couldn’t get approved as a vet clinic in 14 months. They’re far too incompetent to even clean the place.

And it doesn’t matter, we need abortions however we get them. If they’re unsupervised, unclean, and unsanitary; that is all we should hope for… it must be good enough.

Right libfree? We can’t expect them to meet minimal standards we require for anyone else due to their incompetence, and we shouldn’t bother because operating on women should be allowed to be unsafe and unsanitary.

Or is there another reason we must allow and encourage a Gosnell type situation to occur again?

Thank goodness I’m a man so libfree is good with there being minimal levels of sanitation and doctor proficiency before someone cuts me open.

gekkobear on July 3, 2013 at 3:23 PM

The evil one is truly walking on our land. Not to worry, tho, I know how the story ends. Happy Independence Day!

Kissmygrits on July 3, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Waited until the thread was dead to make your little Troll comment, huh, Skippy.

How brave.

kingsjester on July 3, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Sorry. I don’t live on here like some of you do.

Dan_Yul on July 3, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Kissmygrits on July 3, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Yep. We’ve read The Book! Happy Independence Day!

kingsjester on July 3, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Dan_Yul on July 3, 2013 at 3:25 PM

You lurk.

kingsjester on July 3, 2013 at 3:26 PM

He’s just mad because he didn’t get his three wishes when he rubbed the lamp.

CurtZHP on July 3, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Yep!

eh is a troll, a punk, and a liar – it’s a mistake to use valuable time trying to argue with him as though something might be accomplished by doing so…

Anti-Control on July 3, 2013 at 3:40 PM

gocatholic on July 3, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Bless you. You put into words what I couldn’t. Thanks.

cptacek on July 3, 2013 at 3:40 PM

One of the mods should lock this thread when it reaches 666 replies.

Just because.

JimLennon on July 3, 2013 at 1:33 PM

heh

cptacek on July 3, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Don’t feed the troll.

avagreen on July 3, 2013 at 3:48 PM

If you want the info on abortion laws in other countries that I posted here, I’ve put it into one post on my blog:

Wait, So You Think The Texas Abortion Law Is Extreme??? Have You Taken A Look At Abortion Laws In Europe & Elsewhere???

Resist We Much on July 3, 2013 at 4:21 PM

verbaluce on July 3, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Happy Independence Day to you and yours also!!!

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2013 at 4:24 PM

eh on July 3, 2013 at 12:22 PM

How do you know Jesus is imaginary? There are lots of historical characters that we have no visual proof of. Are they all imaginary too?

Nutstuyu on July 3, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Please don’t confuse the new Low-IQ Democrat Voting Unit with FACTS. It is not programmed to respond in that area!

You’re right, of course. Especially since even our simple friend’s Cult Leader has already acknowledged that Jesus exists:

My family, frankly, they weren’t folks who went to church every week. My mother was one of the most spiritual people I knew but she didn’t raise me in the church, so I came to my Christian faith later in life and it was because the precepts of Jesus Christ spoke to me in terms of the kind of life that I would want to lead.

Barack Obama

And I will do everything that I can as long as I am President of the United States to remind the American people that we are one nation under God, and we may call that God different names but we remain one nation.

Barack Obama

In fact, it could credibly be argued that the historical figure that “eh” worships (O’bama) doesn’t really exist either. That’s because what “eh” and the other Low-IQ Democrats believe O’bama “is” is in fact totally bogus.

Interestingly enough, many Low-IQ Democrats have O’bama Shrines in their homes. No difference between that and the folks who have religious shrines in their house, except that the Religion of O’bama is in reality the Religion of Stupid.

Del Dolemonte on July 3, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I would never argue that religious belief determines intelligence. I wasn’t trying to intimidate anyone with my intellect.

eh on July 3, 2013 at 2:16 PM

First of all, it could credibly be argued that a lack of religious belief determines intelligence. After all, your Democrat Party, which has many more atheists than its political counterparts, lost the college graduate vote in 2012 while greatly increasing its share of the high school dropout vote to 80%.

As for intimidating anyone with your “intellect” in this thread, you’ve done no such thing.

F-

Del Dolemonte on July 3, 2013 at 4:34 PM

There’s no such thing as “fundamentalist” atheism.

meh on July 3, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Fundamentalist atheism is crystallized in the best-selling works of biologist Richard Dawkins (The God Delusion, 2006), writer Christopher Hitchens (God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything, 2007), and philosopher Sam Harris(The End of Faith, 2004).

F-

Del Dolemonte on July 3, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I needed a good laugh! I could get mad over the ignorance on display, but I don’t see the point in letting this band of wayward youth bring down my day. It’s times like this that remember 2 Chronicles 7:13-14

13 When I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or command the locust to devour the land, or send pestilence among my people, 14 if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

After witnessing this pestilence, I will humble myself before God, and say a prayer for these poor, misguided kids.

HarryBackside on July 3, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Yep!

Anti-Control on July 3, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Yep, Christ-mythers are the historical equivalent of flat-earthers.

ebrown2 on July 3, 2013 at 5:28 PM

The video about what the pro-abortion protesters is chanting is inaccurate and should be corrected.

What is actually being chanted is, “Not the church, not the state, women must decide their fate.” Go back to the video with these words in mind and you’ll find the cadence matches up perfectly.

No, it was just one obnoxious girl who said, “Hail Satan.” The story must be corrected quickly.

selderane on July 3, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Yep, Christ-mythers are the historical equivalent of flat-earthers.

ebrown2 on July 3, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Might as well be “Heil Satan”….

“I think it’s a mistake to assume that true evil always comes in the guise of a frowning or sneering monster. Often, it appears on a laughing face.

(Photos of smiling and laughing Nazis at link)

if Satan exists, this is how he would seek to spread his message: not through sincere worship of his evil ends, but through mockery of goodness…” – Patterico

workingclass artist on July 3, 2013 at 5:43 PM

selderane on July 3, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Sorry…But too many Texans who were actually there contradict your meme.

workingclass artist on July 3, 2013 at 5:45 PM

The pro-abortion crowd has responded with repeated chants of “hail Satan.”

So does that mean Obama was there?

Laura in Maryland on July 3, 2013 at 5:45 PM

selderane on July 3, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Sorry…But too many Texans who were actually there contradict your meme.

workingclass artist on July 3, 2013 at 5:45 PM

There you go again, wca.

Spoiling a perfectly nice spin (blow) job with facts and truth.

And they worked so hard to come up with that one. //

Solaratov on July 3, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Abortion Advocates = True Colors

Axion on July 3, 2013 at 6:41 PM

The story must be corrected quickly.

selderane on July 3, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Too late.

Try another one.

Solaratov on July 3, 2013 at 6:41 PM

I wasn’t trying to intimidate anyone with my intellect.

eh on July 3, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I don’t think you need to worry about that, bless your heart.

talkingpoints on July 3, 2013 at 6:48 PM

selderane on July 3, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Ah, yet another Low-IQ Dem Hot Gas Sleeper Cell Activation duly noted.

Z+ for effort.

Keep trying and you’ll be up to a Y- in no time!

Del Dolemonte on July 3, 2013 at 6:48 PM

selderane on July 3, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Yeah because it is sooo hard to believe that those hags would chant that. I mean these are the same women who have CHILDREN holding signs up with coat hangers that say “Stay out of My Mommies Uterus.”

melle1228 on July 3, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Devil worshipers are pro choice — anyone surprised?

Axion on July 3, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Wears sunglasses to hide her shameful behavior.

If you are gonna yell Hail Satan, take off your sunglasses and face the sun for all to see.

Cowards.

Sherman1864 on July 3, 2013 at 9:42 PM

libfreeordie on July 3, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Oh, so now it’s all but one? Last I heard is was all but six, and before that it was all but 10. I think it says a lot more about the decrepit condition of abortion clinics in Texas if only one meets the standards of other out-patient surgery clinics. Gross.

bitsy on July 3, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Abortion clinics should not have to meet the same standards as other surgical clinics in the state of Texas because abortion is not surgery; abortion is human sacrifice. However, they should be required to have giant bronze cow headed Molech statues out front — truth in advertising and all that.

bitsy on July 3, 2013 at 11:16 PM

That’s how Hollywood does it.

David Blue on July 3, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Out of the mouth the heart speaketh. Oh how I wish I could be a fly on the wall when someday these evil women are brought before judgement. If these “ladies” think Texas can get hot in the summertime they ain’t seen what is coming. I have zero sympathy or patience with a bunch of shrill, evil, morally bankruput idiots protesting for abortion in Satans name.

neyney on July 3, 2013 at 11:58 PM

neyney on July 3, 2013 at 11:58 PM

I have 1000x more sympathy for a loincloth-wearing tribal than a ‘modern’ ‘educated’ ‘liberated’ ‘woman’. I use quotes because they deserve none of those titles but more accurate ones might get me banned.

The former lives in mortal terror of death and what lies beyond because he knows he isn’t right with Someone and knows he doesn’t know HOW to get right. He or she would crawl over powdered glass to find the answer.

But by contrast the unshaven harridans singing to Satan have deliberately thrown away ample chances for salvation like a used condom.

MelonCollie on July 4, 2013 at 12:06 AM

The “Hail Satan!” (with a tongue-waggling nod to Seinfeld’s Elaine in the Jesus-fish episode) gal is kinda cute.

While being a happy, fetus-killing moral imbecile, of course.

profitsbeard on July 4, 2013 at 1:55 AM

When I was a child in the 60′s, my grandmother a pious 7th Day Adventist, would teach me, that speaking the Devil’s name was dangerous. She always believed that evoking his name out loud was to open a window into your soul which would let him in. I still believe that sage advice.

These hipster mocking morons are playing with gasoline and a match.. all to express hatred which makes it even worse.. Satan is a real being, and to make a game out of acting as his minion only brings you closer to the pit, and a really bad end.

When you mock God’s servants trying to teach his word, you mock him.

I truly believe these addled kids are cluelessly risking their souls all to show how little morality means to them, when it gets in the way of their narcissism. If they’ll evoke Satan to mock the moral position on this, would morals do they possess at all?

mark81150 on July 4, 2013 at 4:51 AM

I think that anyone that marches or for or thinks that late term abortion is OK, they should be offerred a retroactive very late term abortion. If you really think it is OK to take the life of another, then by all means you really should agree to go first. You can speak for yourself, they cannot.

j bo on July 4, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Satan’s gonna be pissed! His fingerprints on this operation were supposed to be keep quiet. There will be Hell to pay!

lonestarleeroy on July 4, 2013 at 12:00 PM

The Democrats in convention voted down a motion to insert a plank thanking God by voice vote — three times (Peter knows the meaning of that number). It took Villaraigosa and his very tin ear to overrule them.

unclesmrgol on July 4, 2013 at 1:54 PM

If they did it to mock they are literally playing with Hellfire.
Lucifer will hold them to their chant.

Bubba Redneck on July 4, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Yep, Christ-mythers are the historical equivalent of flat-earthers.

ebrown2 on July 3, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Hell is loaded with atheists. Rather ex-atheists.

So you are aligning yourself with those who think infanticide and human sacrifice are okay?
Guess so. I believe all civilizations that practiced these acts routinely have vanished into the dustbin of history. Enjoy the dustbin.

Bubba Redneck on July 4, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Six of one half-dozen of the other.

Bubba Redneck on July 4, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Hell is loaded with atheists. Rather ex-atheists.

Bubba Redneck on July 4, 2013 at 4:13 PM

You are misinterpreting what ebrown2 meant by “Christ-mythers” – he or she used the term to refer to those who deny that Jesus ever existed.

Anti-Control on July 4, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Next we need a bunch to infiltrate these pro’bortion clown mobs & see how they like chants of “Heil Hitler!” Something tells me that would rattle them.

Olo_Burrows on July 5, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Nothing is obvious to socons. They aren’t very bright.

They can’t take a joke either.

Moesart on July 5, 2013 at 10:01 AM

nobody should take a 2000 year old character or the ethical code it is meant to narrate seriously.

eh on July 3, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Enlighten us, then: what is the statute of limitations on a teaching of wisdom?

I suspect because the bad guy in a story exists only ever subordinate to the hero character’s existence.

eh on July 3, 2013 at 12:53 PM

So you suspect that the only reason the devil is said to exist is to appear subordinate to Jesus, who was born thousands of years after the devil is first mentioned in Scripture (which also happens to be the first of the Scriptures captured in writing)? That’s some pretty intense collaboration on the part of the authors.

The Schaef on July 5, 2013 at 2:32 PM

[Socons] can’t take a joke either.

Moesart on July 5, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Yes, because it’s difficult to think of anything more hilarious than the death of innocents.

The Schaef on July 5, 2013 at 2:34 PM

libfreeordie on July 3, 2013 at 9:08 AM

It enrages me, that you deny it’s a real live person in every sense of reality, growing inside a woman’s womb.

listens2glenn on July 5, 2013 at 3:02 PM

CurtZHP on July 3, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Judging from his “superior” air, I wager it wasn’t a lamp he was rubbing at the time, if you follow me.

PJ Emeritus on July 5, 2013 at 5:16 PM

“Hail Satan”
ROFL
Man! I’m laughing so hard I can hardly stand it.
Of course, I mean that I am laughing AT you…

shorebird on July 5, 2013 at 11:52 PM

We have birth control (before sex), we have the morning after pill (after sex, works for a few days after), seems like abortion shouldn’t be needed… Come on now, when does the women take “some” responsibility for her body. Clearly if there’s a pill before, a pill for after and abortion (first trimester), where’s the need for late term abortions??? Why does it take a women 6 months to decide? And yeah guys, I’m a woman whose ashamed at how stupid these late term pro choice people are making women look!!!

soapyjeans on July 8, 2013 at 12:42 PM