Baby bald eagles move fireworks

posted at 3:31 pm on June 30, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

Every once in a while you run across one of those stories that’s just… nice. And it might not appear that way at first glance, but this turned out to be one of those for me. (Hat tip on this story goes to Lindsey Grudnicki at National Review.) With our big, annual birthday bash for our nation coming up this week, it seems particularly appropriate to toss this one out as a bit of a Sunday palate cleanser. Out in Seattle they’re getting ready for their yearly fireworks display on the 4th of July, but the location is being shifted slightly for the benefit of a pair of baby bald eagles.

Just because they’re both emblems of American pride doesn’t mean fireworks and bald eagles should share the same skyline.

The floating launch pad for next week’s July Fourth fireworks display in suburban Seattle is being moved from its usual site to avoid frightening a pair of baby bald eagles nesting in a tree on the shore of Lake Washington, sponsors of the event said on Thursday.

A spokeswoman for the local National Audubon Society chapter said the two eaglets, still too young to fly, might be so startled by the pyrotechnics that they would jump out of their nest and plunge to the ground, leaving them injured or vulnerable to predators.

The fledgling national symbols, apparently unaware they are complicating the Independence Day festivities in the city of Kirkland, east of Seattle, currently spend their days perched in a tall lakeside Douglas fir in the town’s Heritage Park.

This is the kind of story which could have been introduced with a far different headline and sub-text. We’ve heard all sorts of stories where progress has been impeded when environmentalists use the welfare of various species or individual animals to impede human activity. (Lesser Prairie Chicken anyone?) But this situation has some key differences. First of all, it’s not some government mandate coming in and shifting the party. The Audubon Society asked the organizers to move the fireworks barge 350 yards further away, and they agreed to do it voluntarily. And this isn’t some sort of permanent change… they’re just giving the eagle chicks time to grow and leave the nest.

I have a special place in my heart for the bald eagle, above and beyond their symbolic importance to the country. There were none around the northeast when I was growing up… they’d been driven to near extinction. But they’ve been making a comeback in the past decade or so, and now there are two mating pairs up in the mountains near where we go camping every year. Just beautiful creatures, and it’s always a blast to see them.

Saving this pair from possible disruption during the week’s festivities in Seattle was a nice thing to do, and I’m glad they did.
BaldEagleChick

Comments

“Celebrate obama’care’ on the 4th of July” — Nancy Pelosi

On topic, nice, very nice.

Schadenfreude on June 30, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Good.

workingclass artist on June 30, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Happy Birthday America!

Good Night America!

Schadenfreude on June 30, 2013 at 3:41 PM

A wind turbine will solve this little problem.

BDavis on June 30, 2013 at 3:41 PM

OT – you can’t make this stuff up.

Schadenfreude on June 30, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I’m glad they did this, too. But then I voted for the egg bill in California that everyone is so angry about.

Rose on June 30, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I’ve seen bald eagles on my near-daily walk numerous times over the past few years, usually solo but sometimes as a pair. I found that I live a few miles away from their nest (I know because I looked it up online.) Last sighting of one was just last week.

They are awesome to watch!

Over 30 bald eagles in the back yard

Anti-Control on June 30, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Good.

workingclass artist on June 30, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Giving is better all the way around when it’s done from the heart, and not out of obligation. If it’s forced, I don’t believe that could even be considered giving. And yet Obama and the Democrats feel so good about themselves when they spend other people’s money. Obamacare is a good example.

Paul-Cincy on June 30, 2013 at 3:51 PM

[Anti-Control on June 30, 2013 at 3:47 PM]

The regional DNR will be there tomorrow with arrest warrants, for sure.

Dusty on June 30, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I’m skeptical that moving the barge 350 yards will make much difference but I hope it does.

Dusty on June 30, 2013 at 3:59 PM

A wind turbine will solve this little problem.

BDavis on June 30, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Schadenfreude on June 30, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Contrast that story with this.

Socratease on June 30, 2013 at 4:04 PM

In Alaska their considered pigeons.

renowebb on June 30, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Could it be?

Did I really make it through one conservative (yes, I am right wing too and pro life myself) thread about keeping animals safe, and not a single hand-wringing pro-lifer dared to thread jack to whine, “Oh how can we be concerned about baby eagles when there are abortions and Gosnells in the world! O woe is me!”

Thank you for butting out on an animal thread for once, fellow pro-lifers. They are some of the most annoying weenies on any news items that turn up about animals, on this blog, other conservative blogs, or any news outlets that publish stories about animal abuse or animal related stories.

I think it’s great that the city is looking out for the baby eagles and showing some consideration. (I’m pro-life and conservative but also care deeply about animals too.)

TigerPaw on June 30, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Contrast that story with this.

Socratease on June 30, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Whoa…

OmahaConservative on June 30, 2013 at 4:10 PM

…agreed!

KOOLAID2 on June 30, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Probably ruined the fireworks for them though. They prolly were glad they had ring side seats until the humans messed it up for them.

Cleombrotus on June 30, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Thank you for butting out on an animal thread for once, fellow pro-lifers. ….

TigerPaw on June 30, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Wish I could have said the same. Thanks so much, TigerPaw.

>.<

pannw on June 30, 2013 at 4:16 PM

TigerPaw on June 30, 2013 at 4:10 PM

+ several million

Schadenfreude on June 30, 2013 at 4:20 PM

“Two blasts in the air with your double barrel shot gun should fix the problem” – Biden

Electrongod on June 30, 2013 at 4:22 PM

A wind turbine will solve this little problem.

yep, beat me to it

DanMan on June 30, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Baby bald eagles don’t have much meat on them and are quite stringy and gamey. Besides that, they give me gas.

simkeith on June 30, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Over 30 bald eagles in the back yard

Anti-Control on June 30, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Thanks for sharing, oh, and cute kids…

OmahaConservative on June 30, 2013 at 4:29 PM

A wind turbine will solve this little problem.

BDavis on June 30, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Heh. Well played.

davidk on June 30, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Sure, that’s touching. And they shut down entire wilderness areas (trails included) like around Big Bear Lake (CA) for half the year because it is considered a Bald Eagle breeding ground.

But they don’t shut down for even half a the week the landscape marring windmills that kill hundreds of thousands of birds every year, primarily large raptors. From Livescience:

Wind turbines kill more than 573,000 birds each year in the United States, according to The Associated Press, including federally protected species like bald eagles and golden eagles.

anotherJoe on June 30, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Baby bald eagles move fireworks
posted at 3:31 pm on June 30, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

Tags: holidays Breaking on Hot Air
Baby bald eagles move fireworks
Biden pressed Correa to give up Snowden
NFL… we’ll pass on pimping Obamacare, thanks
Note from Hot Air management: This section is for comments from Hot Air’s community of registered readers. Please don’t assume that Hot Air management agrees with or otherwise endorses any particular comment just because we let it stand. A reminder: Anyone who fails to comply with our terms of use may lose their posting privilege.

Comments
“Celebrate obama’care’ on the 4th of July” — Nancy Pelosi

On topic, nice, very nice.

Schadenfreude on June 30, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Good.

workingclass artist on June 30, 2013 at 3:35 PM
Happy Birthday America!

Good Night America!

Schadenfreude on June 30, 2013 at 3:41 PM
A wind turbine will solve this little problem.

BDavis on June 30, 2013 at 3:41 PM
OT – you can’t make this stuff up.

Schadenfreude on June 30, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Rose on June 30, 2013 at 3:46 PM

They are awesome to watch!

Over 30 bald eagles in the back yard

Anti-Control on June 30, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Good.

workingclass artist on June 30, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Paul-Cincy on June 30, 2013 at 3:51 PM
[Anti-Control on June 30, 2013 at 3:47 PM]

The regional DNR will be there tomorrow with arrest warrants, for sure.

Dusty on June 30, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Dusty on June 30, 2013 at 3:59 PM
A wind turbine will solve this little problem.

BDavis on June 30, 2013 at 3:41 PM
Schadenfreude on June 30, 2013 at 4:03 PM
Contrast that story with this.

Socratease on June 30, 2013 at 4:04 PM
In Alaska their considered pigeons.

renowebb on June 30, 2013 at 4:10 PM
Could it be?

TigerPaw on June 30, 2013 at 4:10 PM

TigerPaw, you’re not alone. You can be pro-life and still be in favor of protecting species (or even an animal who’s not part of an endangered species). You can also be pro-life and still oppose circumcision, or oppose corporal punishment, or whatever. There’s no mutual exclusivity.

bmmg39 on June 30, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Oops. Sorry.

bmmg39 on June 30, 2013 at 5:02 PM

That’s great, but what are they going to do about thunder and lightning storms?

EchoFiveOscar on June 30, 2013 at 5:14 PM

More from the Livescience link on raptors (as Bald Eagles) and windmills:

Though it can appear as though they’re turning at a slow, almost relaxed pace, wind-turbine blades actually move very rapidly: The outer tips of some turbines’ blades can reach speeds of 179 mph (288 kilometers per hour) and can easily slice off an eagle’s wing.

And when hawks, falcons and eagles are flying, they’re usually looking down at the ground for prey, not glancing up to watch for a knifelike blade whipping down on them from above.

“There is nothing in the evolution of eagles that would come near to describing a wind turbine,” Grainger Hunt, a raptor specialist with the Peregrine Fund, told the AP. “There has never been an opportunity to adapt to that sort of threat.”

anotherJoe on June 30, 2013 at 5:26 PM

If there was ever a reason this one is a good one.

I’ll also throw in there that the Bald Eagles reproduce sexually with a mother and father bald eagle. This makes them politically incorrect as they don’t adopt or reproduce asexually and technically makes them ‘haters’ per Anthony Kennedy and the other four statist justices.

It is only a matter of time before the SCOTUS rules that because of this anti-gay hate, that it is no longer constitutional for the Bald Eagle to be the official symbol and bird of the USA.

But until then….Kennedy can eat sh*t.

Have a great 4th of July week and blow off tons of fireworks before that is determined to be a hate-crime too.

KirknBurker on June 30, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Thanks for sharing, oh, and cute kids…

OmahaConservative on June 30, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Y/w, but in case it wasn’t clear, that wasn’t me nor my family – I was just linking to a video I saw on YouTube! :)

Anti-Control on June 30, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I bet if we were talking about a wind turbine or solar panels the response from government would have been “screw the eagles”.

William Teach on June 30, 2013 at 5:49 PM

There is another solution, which is to habituate the birds to fireworks, by having glorious patriotic displays on a regular basis.

Kenosha Kid on June 30, 2013 at 5:52 PM

I totally agree with saving these bald eagles however I was appalled at the death of a rare bird by a wind turbine in England.In America thousands of birds are killed annually by these ugly things which would be totally unnecessary if the Imbecile-in-Chief allowed full oil exploitation. But, then, killing is OK in the name of green energy.If it were discovered that a substitute “green energy” oil could be made from crushed abortion fetuses I have no doubt that babies would be bred precisely for that purpose.

MaiDee on June 30, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Last summer I watched the live Minnesota Bound Eagle Cam progress of a pair of nesting eagles raising their eaglet “Harmon”. (His sister died due to a fall from the nest.)

Harmon had his own problem when a wing got stuck and infected in the nesting. The Raptor Center had to go up, remove him and tend to his imjury.

They put him back in the nest, but it looked as if his parents had given up and left. He was alone in the nest for almost two days and the Raptor Center people were just about ready to retrieve him.

Then Dad and Mom suddenly showed up to take care of their kid.

Wonderful viewing to see the family and watch the eaglet growing up & leaving the nest.

whatcat on June 30, 2013 at 6:43 PM

They are awesome to watch!

Over 30 bald eagles in the back yard

Anti-Control on June 30, 2013 at 3:47 PM

A great clip and even though Ima get in trouble for saying this, moving the fireworks in this particular instance so it doesn’t needlessly waste the American national bird is OK with me, and doesn’t signify any additional wussification or fundamental transformation of the United States.

There’s plenty of stuff out there to take exceptional notice of re the Age of Obama, but the fireworks/eagle thing isn’t one of them, im2bo.

Sacramento on June 30, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Eagle chicks would be females who follow said band, this is about eaglets

Rio Linda Refugee on June 30, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Eagle chicks would be females who follow said band, this is about eaglets
Rio Linda Refugee on June 30, 2013 at 6:52 PM

LOL – and you are correct.

whatcat on June 30, 2013 at 7:06 PM

We’ve got a couple of eaglets nearby that are just about to fledge, I’ve watched the live cam from time to time as it went from an empty nest to two eggs and now these two gals, Stormy and Kyle. (I know, not exactly female names). The nest is a good mile and half from the Bay where the locals do the fireworks, so it’s not an issue. I scoffed after one of the moderators said these chicks would gain a pound a week from birth, but by golly they sure did. Here’s the upstream link if you’re interested. Don’t expect these “kids” to be around much longer, but it’s been fun watching the personalities. This is the eighth year these same pair of Eagles have nested and produced here. One thing I’ve noticed that I knew, but watching the parents in this cycle confirmed it—they are extremely proficient hunters, bringing in all sorts of nourishment daily, from fresh fish, coots, and even brought in a small seagull the other day. White feathers now coat the nest.

~ Rov

Rovin on June 30, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Rovin on June 30, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Thanks, nice view of the nest. Such interesting creatures.

whatcat on June 30, 2013 at 7:22 PM

I love these wonderful birds. I applaud the great effort of people who worked to re populate the species, hand raising them, climbing great trees to place eagles back in the nest, and fighting for habitat

That said, I wish the federal government would stop facilitating the killing of baby people. Stop usurping the parents. Stop encouraging destructive behavior in the offspring. Do not prevent baby humans from learning the importance of the breeding pair from their own parents and the churches. The mighty eagle is an example: two parents, a mother and a father, teaching their offspring to live and survive independently on God’s great earth

Let the eagle live free and soar in the air currents

Let the humans live free in the great destiny they were granted by God Almighty

entagor on June 30, 2013 at 10:13 PM

TigerPaw on June 30, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Except you brought it up. Sounds like your issue, not theirs.

Sacramento on June 30, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Definitely not. This was a voluntary move, out of respect for others. That makes it a very American, gentlemanly thing to do.

GWB on July 1, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Schadenfreude on June 30, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Seems Donald Trump is occasionally right.

unclesmrgol on July 1, 2013 at 1:41 PM