Palin: If the House sells out on immigration too, it might be time to leave the GOP

posted at 4:41 pm on June 28, 2013 by Allahpundit

Just to preface her post, a good point by DrewM:

We all have our “red line” issues, as Drew says. Offhand, I can’t think of a single person I know privately or on Twitter who supports (or is indifferent to) the Gang of Eight bill and who also traditionally has treated border security as a “red line.” Everyone wants better border security and everybody thinks it’s important for immigrants to follow the rule of law, but when push comes to shove, some people are okay with bending on this in the name of other political goals and others are not. If you believe the polls about background checks and gun control, we might very well win a few extra votes by caving on that too. Want to do that? We might also win some votes by declaring our support for abortion in the first trimester. Okay to do that? We all have our “red lines.”

Here’s Palin drawing a “red line” of her own for people angry about the big amnesty pander. Whole post is at the link, but this is the key bit:

Great job, GOP establishment. You’ve just abandoned the Reagan Democrats with this amnesty bill, and we needed them to “enlarge that tent” of which you so often speak. It’s depressing to consider that the House of Representatives is threatening to pass some version of this nonsensical bill in the coming weeks.

Once again, I’ll point out the obvious to you: it was the loss of working class voters in swing states that cost us the 2012 election, not the Hispanic vote. Legal immigrants respect the rule of law and can see how self-centered a politician must be to fill this amnesty bill with favors, earmarks, and crony capitalists’ pork, and call it good. You disrespect Hispanics with your assumption that they desire ignoring the rule of law.

Folks like me are barely hanging on to our enlistment papers in any political party – and it’s precisely because flip-flopping political actions like amnesty force us to ask how much more bull from both the elephants in the Republican Party and the jackasses in the Democrat Party we have to swallow before these political machines totally abandon the average commonsense hardworking American. Now we turn to watch the House. If they bless this new “bi-partisan” hyper-partisan devastating plan for amnesty, we’ll know that both private political parties have finally turned their backs on us. It will then be time to show our parties’ hierarchies what we think of being members of either one of these out-of-touch, arrogant, and dysfunctional political machines.

I don’t know how disrespected Hispanics feel by the immigration reform push; according to Pew, 90 percent think illegals should have a way to stay legally in the U.S. and 59 percent think they should be allowed to apply for legal status even before border improvements have been made. Her broader point, though, about the party’s crushing failure to engage effectively with the working- and middle-class is spot on. That’s what I was getting at in the McCain post: This amnesty charade is simply the GOP’s way of dressing a gaping economic wound that cuts across racial demographics by putting an identity-politics band-aid on it, as if legalizing more cheap labor to make things even harder on working-class Americans doesn’t make the problem worse. The real reason to despair and start thinking third-party isn’t the amnesty bill itself, it’s the fact that this is what the party feels compelled to resort to now in lieu of building a better economic agenda. If they can’t figure out how to talk to people who aren’t entrepreneurs about pocketbook issues, then why keep donating to them and organizing for them? They’ve flunked politics 101. We’re pumping a dry well here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 9 10 11

1001… Glad to be of service, Sir.

Fallon on July 1, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Go Cuda!

trs on July 1, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Anyone wanna try for 1500?

:-)

coldwarrior on July 1, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I do. Lets get it on.

Mirimichi on July 1, 2013 at 7:21 PM

…OMG!…I saw 897 last…and thought the embers were out!

KOOLAID2 on July 1, 2013 at 9:40 PM

I do. Lets get it on.

Mirimichi on July 1, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Hey Koolaid Man!

*waving*

Fallon on July 1, 2013 at 10:17 PM

The original designer should get an award. Whoever is running the show now is probably living off someone’s else’s great design.

BoxHead1 on July 1, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I think it’s Townhall calling the shots, creating the auto ads & constant pop ups. Then the script issue with every ABC Video that’s embedded. Before TH took over, we didn’t have those issues.

The auto ads are the worse imo. A couple of other sites have them too and I immediately close the site and move on. I tolerate it on HA and normally just turn my volume off.

bluefox on July 1, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Helloooooooooooooooooooooooooooo … (echo chamber)

Oh well … one more comment for the tally.

listens2glenn on July 1, 2013 at 10:31 PM

BoxHead1 on July 1, 2013 at 1:08 PM

bluefox on July 1, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Haven’t you tried Firefox with ‘Flash Block’?

listens2glenn on July 1, 2013 at 10:33 PM

*waving*

Fallon on July 1, 2013 at 10:17 PM

…*waves back*…nice job!
1,000 is becoming a requirement! (:->)

KOOLAID2 on July 1, 2013 at 10:39 PM

…I swear!…I did not hit strike !

KOOLAID2 on July 1, 2013 at 10:40 PM

unseen on July 1, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I don’t recall how or why Sarah was chosen. Clearly, the RNC/GOP was involved. McCain didn’t make that decision on his own. So there is that. Now with all of the spying that has come to light and if there were anything hinting that she had intentions prior to being selected, then perhaps there is something to that theory.I’ve never heard anything about her having those aspirations during that time tho. If that isn’t correct, then how well she was received when introduced and thereafter, would be a cause for concern if J.M. was not to win. So, since she increased those chances, then take her out. She may cause him to win!! LOL

Clearly, that campaign was not run to win!

The GOP/RNC was not going to attack B.O. in 2008 and be called racist. Then in 2012, that same reason existed, so Romney served that purpose. All of this to make a clear path for Jeb/Rubio for 2016. That has always been my opinion.

My only question now is whether Rubio is too damaged as VP or will it be forgotten by then. Time will tell.

bluefox on July 1, 2013 at 10:58 PM

…OMG!…I saw 897 last…and thought the embers were out!

KOOLAID2 on July 1, 2013 at 9:40 PM

You should know better than that:-)

bluefox on July 1, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Sorry, I’m late, Sir. Palinista Fallon reporting for duty, Sir.

I’ve been ready to leave the GOP since 2011…

Fallon on July 1, 2013 at 2:11 PM

:-) So, I missed lunch! Been busy up here. Sounds like I better get down there and see what everyone is up to.

Nice to see you up here!!

bluefox on July 1, 2013 at 11:12 PM

bluefox on July 1, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Haven’t you tried Firefox with ‘Flash Block’?

listens2glenn on July 1, 2013 at 10:33 PM

No,I haven’t. A couple of years ago I did on my Desktop and didn’t care for it too much.

It may work better on my new Laptop. I’ve been thinking about reading up on Flash Block. I recall they had Better Privacy, deleting cookies.

I’m so used to IE:-) But may take another look at FF, thanks.

bluefox on July 1, 2013 at 11:18 PM

…she goes, I do believe I’ll tag along.

davisbr on July 2, 2013 at 4:24 AM

bluefox on July 1, 2013 at 11:18 PM

I’m not familiar with flashblock – but adblock plus works GREAT

Also – ‘ghostery’ will prevent many sites from tracking your browsing history

Katfish on July 2, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I’m so used to IE:-) But may take another look at FF, thanks.
bluefox on July 1, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Try Waterfox.It is based on Firefox. Takes the same add-ons

If that is true then it would give some credence to the theory that McCain only picked Palin to destroy an up and coming conservative unseen on July 1, 2013 at 1:42 PMunseen on July 1, 2013 at 1:42 PM

McCain’s campaign openly wrote off certain states, including Michigan. Palin on camera offered to go to Michigan and was left hanging by the campaign

Romney had a wedge with older Michigan DEMs who liked his dad yet he campaigned to the party. His idea about less taxes on interest earnings was as bad as Bush Sr not knowing how to shop a super market

btw I really think that is what the GOPe has tried to do with Rubio. Only Rubio was too stupid/lacking of moral fiber to see it happening and stand against them. Instead of fighting them, he joined them and went all in with the establishment.
unseen on July 1, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Or he saw opportunity

Read the reporting about Palin suggesting a brokered convertion.

One, her clout is dubious…Two, she isn’t what people are loooking for. The names that come up when talk of a brokered convention surfaces — as either candidates or potential dealmakers — are relatively moderate politicians with broad support: former Florida governor Jeb Bush, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels. A polarizing figure like Palin is hardly in the mix

Where’d they get that list? Then Coulter building up Christie. tearing down Palin

That was a flat-out lie from Coulter. Governor Palin has NEVER suggested herself as any “choice” for a brokered convention.

No need to beat up a loser. It is the winners they fear

entagor on July 2, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I’m not familiar with flashblock – but adblock plus works GREAT

Also – ‘ghostery’ will prevent many sites from tracking your browsing history

Katfish on July 2, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I recall adblock and adblock + for F.F. and Flashblock, I think for Chrome. It appears they all have applications for IE.

Ghostery I have heard of but hadn’t checked it out. That sounds like a good idea to keep the snoops out:-)

Thanks for the add’l info.

bluefox on July 2, 2013 at 4:36 PM

No need to beat up a loser. It is the winners they fear

entagor on July 2, 2013 at 3:34 PM

You’re right in that statement.

I watched that video Sarah had with Boling. She didn’t suggest any such thing. But then again it’s the W.P.. Seems the MSM bring the daggers out against anyone they deem “dangerous” to their leftist ideas.

I’ve not heard of waterfox, but will check it out, thank you.

bluefox on July 2, 2013 at 5:01 PM

entagor on July 2, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Just finished reviewing waterfox and reviews are great so far.
That was Cnet; will check some more sites. Designed for 64bit so that’s good too.

Thanks a lot:-)