Dewhurst: I’ll pass the late-term abortion ban — and “take action against” those who incited demonstration

posted at 7:21 pm on June 28, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

In an exclusive* Hot Air interview, Lt. Governor David Dewhurst of Texas insists that the attempt to hijack the legislative process by pro-abortion activists this week will not stop the state from passing a limitation on late-term abortions and requirements for clinics to meet the same standards as other ambulatory surgical centers.  Dewhurst also says that his office is reviewing the security tapes from the demonstration that derailed the bill at the end of the regular session, and that arrests may be made for inciting a riot — including perhaps some members of the media.

“I had the votes,” Dewhurst told me, “I had the strategy.” He had wanted the Senate to tackle the bill, SB5, a little earlier in the session to prevent the obstructionism that he foresaw.  When it came time to clear the galleries, Dewhurst lacked the resources to finish the job on time.  “These are common sense … measures that the majority, the big majority of Texans support,” Dewhurst insisted, “so I was frustrated.  I’m not going to let a minority group of demonstrators — Planned Parenthood and ACLU — block the will of the majority. And I will pass this bill.”

Dewhurst talked about how the “ugly mob … went wild,” and ripped the media for its coverage of the event.  When I asked whether the same media would provide the glowing coverage of a demonstration where Tea Party activists blocked a tax increase, Dewhurst said, “Absolutely not.” Dewhurst went on to tell me that he suspects that reporters may have helped incite the crowd to riot, and that his office plans on reviewing security tapes to identify any individuals who did.

“We have reports, and I have my staff taking a look at the video,” Dewhurst explained, “and if I find, as I’ve been told, examples of the media waving and trying to inflame the crowd, incite them in the direction of a riot, I’m going to take action against them.” Dewhurst continued, “We take a democratic policy seriously.” I asked whether Dewhurst could confirm whether members of the media took part in pushing the demonstration forward. “We have reports that members of the media on the floor, on the floor of the Senate, were looking up at the people in the gallery, waving their hands, trying to motivate them to yell more,” he replied. “If I find examples of that, proof certain on our video,” Dewhurst warned, “I’m going to address this firmly.”

Dewhurst says he’s prepared for the next attempt to derail the legislature. “I expect some demonstrations,” he said. Texas does have an open-meetings policy, but he can determine — at least in the Senate, where he presides — whether a threat to public safety exists. If visitors attempt another demonstration, “I’m going to clear the gallery.” In lieu of access to the Senate, Dewhurst will set up a closed-circuit video feed to committee rooms to those interested in observing rather than demonstrating.  “We’re all for openness and transparency,” Dewhurst said, “but if you’re having a demonstration which is going to impede the legislature from moving forward, I’m perfectly at ease with clearing the gallery with our state police.”

Dewhurst plans to combat the media coverage with grassroots support on Twitter and other social media.  He will ask pro-life supporters to use #Stand4Life hashtag while the Texas legislature is in session.  He reviewed the possible timing of the bill, which has to start from scratch in both chambers because of the new special session, although the specific timing may prove somewhat different.  Either way, Dewhurst pledges that he will pass the ban on late-term abortions and require abortionists to meet the same standards as all other ambulatory surgical centers meet in Texas. “I’m a strong believer in values.”

* – Using the media definition of “exclusive,” which means no one else was on the call at the time.

Update: Elizabeth “The Anchoress” Scalia compares red shoes to pink sneakers, although I called them orange in the interview:

A pope choosing to wear red shoes reminds us that Peter, in every iteration, proceeds through the blood of those who have gone before him — the martyrs who have been slainand are still being slain for the sake of Christ.

Likewise, a pro-abortion flame-fanner choosing to wear #standwithWendy pink — “rouge red” — sneakers reminds us that she proceeds through the red blood and shredded pink tissue, sucked out brainscollapsed skulls and snipped necks of those who will never be — human beings who have been slain, and are being slain, martyrs for the sake of…well…not Christ?

You can tell a lot about people by the kind of shoes they mock and sneer at, and the kind they celebrate and gush over.

Fascinating to consider, as well, which person you would trust with your life, or the life of your child, or the life of your elderly mother.

The distraction of the shoes. If you talk about the shoes, and get other people talking about the shoes, you don’t actually have to talk about what the wearers are saying.

Who knew shoes could be so instructive? Lessons worth absorbing.

Indeed.

Update: There was some initial confusion over the word “arrest,” but after a couple of reviews, my original take was accurate.  It’s been put back the way it was.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

One Riot, One Ranger!

Rangers are not historically known to be compassionate towards those breaking the law.

Another Drew on June 29, 2013 at 9:34 PM

jmad on June 29, 2013 at 7:15 PM

exsanguine on June 29, 2013 at 8:19 PM

No Shinola y’all.

The point is that Perry ain’t gonna’ call out the National Guard for this.

IIRC, it is actually requesting the National Guard. Feds have final authority.

Y’all are confusing the National Guard with the Texas Guard.

Pay attention to how Perry has operated the last several years.

If anything, he will make sure a Ranger, or two, or fifty, will be there.

cozmo on June 29, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Shay on June 28, 2013 at 9:53 PM

You can take the abortion out of the back-alley, but you can’t seem to take the back-alley out of the abortion from PP and affiliates.

Another Drew on June 29, 2013 at 9:44 PM

I hope he realizes that the baby killers will descend upon the state capitol like a pack of vultures to a carcass.

They shouldn’t mind a little Post-Partum Abortion, then.

Another Drew on June 29, 2013 at 9:48 PM

bayam on June 29, 2013 at 5:32 PM

There must not be all that many of them, or the polls would show women overwhelmingly for abortion-upon-demand, which they don’t.

Another Drew on June 29, 2013 at 9:58 PM

The National Guard IS always under the control of the respective State Governors, UNLESS the Guard is Federalized (called up for Federal Service), where it is placed into the regular Army chain-of-command, and the DoD picks up the tab for the costs incurred.
But, when in Federal Service, the Posse Comitatus Act is in play, and the Guard then cannot enforce domestic law.
As long as the Guard is under the command of its State’s Governor (not Federalized), it can be used in Law Enforcement, and has arrest powers.
For the Dod, or a Federalized Guard, to have arrest (LE) powers, Martial Law would have to be declared. That usually requires the President to declare that a State of Rebellion exists, and then all Hell is going to break loose in the Courts.

We need a better class of armchair-generals.

Another Drew on June 29, 2013 at 10:06 PM

graduated from UT Austin a few years ago. Most of my college friends are wonderful, funny, women, and normally I enjoy their company, but something like this comes up and they turn into absolute lunatics. They are all over Facebook right now frothing at the mouth with their hatred of Rick Perry.

I graduated from UT-Arlington in 1989. I ran into some of the same trouble with some of the teachers, but only one tried to keep from graduating by NOT turning in my last paper of the semester. I caught it time (thanks to his secretary) and graduated on time.

And so goes the GOP into the next election cycle… the smart, intelligent, and educated women of this country will increasingly feel alienated by the conservative cause.

bayam on June 29, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Hardly, bayam, I graduated in the top 1% of my Masters-level program even though I finished the two-year program in 13 mos. And, received my Bachelor’s……3 years, graduating Magna Cum Laude with a double major.

Top 1% IQ-wise. You?

avagreen on June 29, 2013 at 10:40 PM

bayam on June 29, 2013 at 5:32 PM

I’m confused.

Are you arguing that intelligent women believe a viable fetus should be abort-able right up to the delivery date?

Or that intelligent women believe an abortion performed as surgery should not have any checks that the surgical procedure is done in a hygienic and safe manner?

gekkobear on June 30, 2013 at 2:27 AM

Re: Elizabeth Scalia

Wow! That should leave a mark.

Adjoran on June 30, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Foxnews has an article that states Dewhurst is backing off of his comments about the media inciting a near riot.

Plus, is this guy real? It’s harder to stay on top? He seriously believes it’s more difficult on an incumbent than the challengers? Is he on crack? Or that far removed from reality?

Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson said in a letter that Dewhurst “has lost his grip on the reins of the Senate.” And state Sen. Dan Patrick, who has also joined the race, said the Senate needs new leadership.
Asked about his opponents, Dewhurst said, “I know it’s harder to stay on top than get on top, and I’m going to make sure this state keeps moving forward.”

ButterflyDragon on June 30, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Without life there is no liberty, there is no pursuit of happiness. The ability to take life is the ultimate power and the ultimate deprivation of our God-given rights. I have been honored to have the opportunity to defend life. – Ted Cruz

Knott Buyinit on June 30, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Another Drew on June 29, 2013 at 10:06 PM

The Guard cannot be federalized without the concurrence of the governor. It says so, right on the Guardsmans’ orders.

“At the direction of the President and the concurrence of the Governor…”

Mr. Grump on June 30, 2013 at 3:17 PM

The funniest part is that they are trying to complain about how much money the special session of the legislature is costing the state! Obviously, they care about tax payers as much as they care about women.

If the Texan Republicans had balls they’d add a special abortion tax to pay for the special session…and then never remember to end it as the left invariably does with “temporary” tax increases

18-1 on June 30, 2013 at 3:45 PM

No body else on the call but you, the Lt. Gov, and the NSA.

NTxOkie on June 30, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Hey just don’t forget to change the timestamps this time buddy.

triple on July 1, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Cozmo and Another Drew, it sounds like we’re all on the same side, so I don’t want to be antagonistic here, but there are important distinctions to be considered.

Perry ain’t gonna’ call out the National Guard for this.

IIRC, it is actually requesting the National Guard. Feds have final authority.

Y’all are confusing the National Guard with the Texas Guard.

cozmo on June 29, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Please refer to the links in my previous post. This information is not my opinion. It is from their official sites.

“The Commander in Chief of the Texas Military Forces is the Governor of Texas.”

“The Texas Military Forces … is comprised of the Adjutant General’s Department, the Texas Army National Guard (TXARNG), the Texas Air National Guard (TXANG), the Texas State Guard (TXSG) and the Domestic Operations Command (DOMOPS).”

A Bing search returns no results for “Texas Guard”. There is the Texas State Guard, which is under the governor’s authority, but there is also the TXARNG, which is just as much under the governor’s authority.

According to Wikipedia, “The National Guard of the United States is a reserve military force composed of National Guard military members or units of each state”. Therefore the TXARNG is the Texas contingent of the National Guard, but the governor is still the commander in chief. If Perry had to get Obama’s permission to deploy them that would make Obama the “commander-in-chief-in-chief” (which he is not).

The name National Guard may cause some to erroneously conclude that their focus is primarily national. In fact the National Guard website states, “while Guard units are combat-trained and can be deployed overseas, they are just as likely to serve in their home communities.” Also “As a Guard Soldier, your primary area of operation is your home state. Any governor or the president himself can call on the Guard at a moment’s notice.”

The disagreement may be primarily semantic. In the context of clearing the gallery of protesters, or even quelling a riot on the grounds, Perry wouldn’t request a federalized National Guard, drawing from all of the states. He wouldn’t need to. I’m sure the TXARNG would be sufficient. He is the commander in chief, and has complete authority to use it to enforce the law if necessary, with total autonomy, completely independent from the Feds and Obama. Because that’s what commander in chief means.

Why belabor this? Well, here’s a possible scenario. Perry uses the TXARNG to enforce order at the statehouse. To short-circuit this, Obama tries to federalize them. But as Mr. Grump pointed out, the guardsman’s orders state “At the direction of the President and the concurrence of the Governor”. Perry does not concur, they are not federalized, Obama has no authority.

Ah, on second thought, nevermind. Obama would never use federal power to impede representative government at the state level. That’s about as likely as the IRS abusing federal power to harass Obama’s opponents.

Oh, wait…

jmad on July 1, 2013 at 3:36 AM

Well, this correction didn’t take long. My confidence in the sufficiency of the Texas Army National Guard may have been misplaced, considering the protesters could number 5000. That may take the National Guard contingents from Texas and a few surrounding states.

Just kidding?

They have the right to protest, but they don’t have the right to do it in a way that illegally shuts down the legislative process.

We are either going to have representative government in this country or mob rule. This will be the first battle in what will be a long war if we don’t respond sufficiently. I for one am tired of government by temper tantrum. We need to put this down decisively and NOW.

Liberalism delenda est

jmad on July 1, 2013 at 4:24 AM

We were watching the local TV news here in Dallas that night, and I know I heard them say the gallery has been or would be cleared (this was 10:00pm), yet there will still idiots up there yelling ’til midnight. Why was everyone kicked out, so that an orderly vote could take place?

Ward Cleaver on July 1, 2013 at 12:16 PM

We were watching the local TV news here in Dallas that night, and I know I heard them say the gallery has been or would be cleared (this was 10:00pm), yet there will still idiots up there yelling ’til midnight. Why wasn’t everyone kicked out, so that an orderly vote could take place?

Ward Cleaver on July 1, 2013 at 12:16 PM