Bottled-water purchase leads to night in jail and felony charges for UVA student

posted at 8:01 pm on June 28, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

Thank God this story ended with everyone still alive:

When a half-dozen men and a woman in street clothes closed in on University of Virginia student Elizabeth Daly, 20, she and two roommates panicked.

That led to Daly spending a night and an afternoon in the Albemarle-Charlottesville Regional Jail. Her initial offense? Walking to her car with bottled water, cookie dough and ice cream just purchased from the Harris Teeter in the Barracks Road Shopping Center for a sorority benefit fundraiser.

A group of state Alcoholic Beverage Control agents clad in plainclothes approached her, suspecting the blue carton of LaCroix sparkling water to be a 12-pack of beer. Police say one of the agents jumped on the hood of her car. She says one drew a gun. Unsure of who they were, Daly tried to flee the darkened parking lot.

“They were showing unidentifiable badges after they approached us, but we became frightened, as they were not in anything close to a uniform,” she recalled Thursday in a written account of the April 11 incident.

“I couldn’t put my windows down unless I started my car, and when I started my car they began yelling to not move the car, not to start the car. They began trying to break the windows. My roommates and I were … terrified,” Daly stated.

This, in pursuit of suspected underaged drinking. After the miscommunication, Daly “apologized profusely,” but was slapped with a couple felony charges, including “assault” because she allegedly “grazed” officers as she was trying to get the hell away from people she thought were trying to hurt her. The charges have been dropped, but she did spend a night in jail for her cookie dough purchase. It’s extremely dangerous for overzealous officers not to identify themselves properly, and as a young woman, she had every right to be afraid of a group of badly identified men coming after her. I don’t stop for cops on dark, country roads until I’ve reached a lit or populated area or open my windows for them until I see a uniform or badge (both of which have been known to be faked by Blue Light Bandits). I almost flipped out on a plainclothes officer in Virginia who burst out of his car and came at mine at a stoplight one night without identifying himself. He put both of us in a potentially very dangerous situation because he didn’t like that I had honked my horn once (not at him), which is not against Virginia law, in case you’re wondering. I escaped without an escalation, and publicized the incident on my morning radio show the next day, but there are plenty of vulnerable people without such luck or such outlets who are put in similar and much worse situations every day. And, as I’ve noted before, law enforcement officers are too rarely disciplined for such breaches.
Case in point.

But glad to see some wrongs righted, as in the case of the young man facing charges for wearing an NRA shirt:

Jared Marcum’s mother, Tanya Lardieri, was overcome with emotion after signing a dismissal order and cementing the fact that the criminal charges against her 14-year-old son, Jared Marcum, have been withdrawn.

“It should have come sooner but it’s done and we don’t have to have that concern anymore about him having a criminal record” Jared’s father Allen Lardieri tells WOWK. “I’m just glad that it’s over. His mother is glad it’s over.”

Jared’s attorney Ben White calls this a win for common sense. White says he’s heard too many stories of children being penalized for seemingly harmless behavior, just because each of these incidents included gun imagery of one sort or another.

On the other hand.

And, while we’re on the subject, Dana Loesch flags this scary story from our neighbor the North, in which local police forcefully entered flooded homes after they evacuated the city, and confiscated an unknown number of firearms. Great moments in sanctioned looting:

HIGH RIVER, Alta. — The RCMP revealed Thursday that officers had seized a “substantial” number of firearms from homes in the evacuated town of High River, about 37 kilometres south Calgary.

“We just want to make sure that all of those things are in a spot that we control, simply because of what they are,” said Sgt. Brian Topham. “People have a significant amount of money invested in firearms … so we put them in a place that we control and that they’re safe.”

That news didn’t sit well with a frustrated crowd who had planned to breach a police checkpoint as the evacuation order from the town of about 13,000, residents stretched into its eighth day.

“I find that absolutely incredible” that they have the right to go into a person’s home and take their “belongings,” said resident Brenda Lackey, after learning Mounties have been securing residents’ guns. “When people find out about this there’s going to be untold hell to pay.”…

“This is the reason the U.S. has the right to bear arms,” said Charles Timpano, pointing to the group of Mounties.

I have great respect for law enforcement officers who do their best to protect us in dangerous situations, but those who create dangerous situations too often are not subject to the same rules the rest of us are.

We’re in the best of hands.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

So now suspicion of someone under 21 possessing alcohol warrants an officer drawing his weapon?

Mark1971 on June 28, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Out. Of. Control.

BigAlSouth on June 28, 2013 at 8:13 PM

I would have kneed one of those cops in the crotch and I would have been justified in doing it.

gophergirl on June 28, 2013 at 8:14 PM

A title for a new Cop Show: Cops Gone Wild! I think it would go over real big… :)

Those poor frightened women…

Scrumpy on June 28, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Why did it take six ABC agents against three young women in the first place? Then, and with badge in hand, “Ladies? We’re with the state Alcohol Beverage Commission. We need to talk to you.”

And Obama tells people not to listen to us when we talk about government overreach and tyranny? How about just plain old terror tactics used by law enforcement all too often?

Liam on June 28, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Years ago, I instructed my daughters that if flagged down or the blue lights turn on behind them if they are driving day or night, slow down, stay within the speed limit, and find as well-lit and populated location in which to pull over and wait for the officer to identify himself/herself…and do not shut off the motor until they do so.

Both have had a need to put this in practice, and both were treated well by the stopping officers, once they explained why they took a half mile or so to pull over.

I got the interest of a Virgina patrolman one summer afternoon, while taking a swig from a bottle of Fred bottled water down in southern Virginia a few years back. Looked just like a pint of vodka from a distance. Was a very hot day, I purchased several.

But this UVA thing…in the dark, plainclothes “officers” surrounding a young woman, in this day and age?

I lawyer up pronto if I were her, or her parents.

The only way some jurisdictions ever get the message.

coldwarrior on June 28, 2013 at 8:17 PM

gophergirl on June 28, 2013 at 8:14 PM

GG, at this point in time, it seems best to play ‘possum’ and just lay down with arms spread…then get up when told to… I don’t think we should take chances and try kneeing them… :(

Scrumpy on June 28, 2013 at 8:17 PM

…this is what our government has become in just a few short years!

KOOLAID2 on June 28, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Once they have been identified as bonafide LEO’s that is…

Scrumpy on June 28, 2013 at 8:19 PM

coldwarrior on June 28, 2013 at 8:17 PM

In addition, lock the doors and roll down the window only enough to talk and hand over documents if requested. If given a hard time, ask the officer to summon a second one for a witness to protect both, preferably a female one.

Liam on June 28, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Alcoholic Beverage Control agents

Wow, never heard of such a thing. Alcohol must be a significant problem in universities. Authoritarianism seems to be a problem, as well.

rickv404 on June 28, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Scrumpy on June 28, 2013 at 8:17 PM

But the minute you do that – it won’t be a cop and then well do I need to go on?

Best thing is to take care of yourself because no one else is going to.

gophergirl on June 28, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Nicely done round-up. Many stories, one theme.

There Goes the Neighborhood on June 28, 2013 at 8:21 PM

I smell a lawsuit brewin’. It’s customary to introduce yourself with words rather than brandishing a weapon and leaping on top of a vehicle.

Stoic Patriot on June 28, 2013 at 8:21 PM

The whole concept of a police force designed solely to respond to alcohol related crimes is one of the most ridiculous concepts ever. As is illustrated by this story, excise police have to compensate for their limited mission (and limited policing authority) by stalking young adults in grocery store parking lots. Indiana Excise did the exact same thing when I was in college. There’s no need to limit the duties of a cop to something minor like this.

blammm on June 28, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Alcoholic Beverage Control agents

rickv404 on June 28, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Every state has them. Much of the time they go ‘undercover’ in bars and liquor stores, making sure no minors are being served.

Liam on June 28, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Tar and feathers.

rbj on June 28, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Reminder: law enforcement is never your friend. They exist to control, not protect.

Armin Tamzarian on June 28, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Living in Jacksonville, Florida, police shootings have become somewhat of a joke because they happen so often. However, there is one story that has bugged me for years. Two undercover narcotics officers were out doing a sting operation in this crime-ridden neighborhood. Things started to go wrong and the two officers ended up in this elderly man’s front yard. The old man saw what he assumed to be a drug deal, or worse, going on in his driveway and he went out to confront them. He had his legally owned gun with him just in case. He confronted them and then the cops turned around and shot him to death. Never once did they announce that they were police officers, and never once did they give him the chance to back down. They straight up murdered him.

Fast forward after a “complete” investigation and the officers didn’t even get a slap on the wrist after they committed murder. That’s why I found this so troubling.

This story could have ended so badly and the if the facts reported here are correct, then the law enforcement officers should be fired. They needlessly risked the lives of everyone involved. That is unacceptable.

joekenha on June 28, 2013 at 8:26 PM

There’s a very good reason why cops are supposed to wear uniforms. Why 6 armed and dangerous ABC agents were needed to take down two college girls, and why the agents didn’t have a local police officer in uniform there to call in when they wanted to make the arrest is a question the Mayor should be asking Governor McDonnell in a very stern voice.

Socratease on June 28, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I used to have so much respect for cops. I grew up when Adam-12 and the FBI were popular shows. Go back and watch those old reruns (Adam-12 is on Netflix) and they don’t even seem real anymore.

Seriously… Adam-12 and Dragnet? How could they have ever been popular TV shows.

JellyToast on June 28, 2013 at 8:28 PM

joekenha on June 28, 2013 at 8:26 PM

If the old man came out with his dog, both would have been gunned down.

Liam on June 28, 2013 at 8:28 PM

gophergirl on June 28, 2013 at 8:20 PM

I spoke before I thought :(

I do that alot, and then second guess myself… I need to have a talk with myself in the mirror…

Scrumpy on June 28, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Good for you Mary Katherine.

Maybe you could write a piece about the Culpeper cop doing time for shooting, 5 times in the back, and killing an unarmed woman, simply because she drove away against his will?

BobMbx on June 28, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Daly did the right thing. Frankly, if she had accidentally run over one of the officers, it would be a tragedy, but she would still not be at fault.

Jump into the car, get away, call the police. In that order.

The real crime here is that they charged her with felonies and put her in jail overnight for acting rationally and sensibly.

I don’t know any way to make this sort of thing right other than filing a lawsuit. While citizens have a duty to cooperate with the police, the police have the obligation to identify themselves clearly and be patient with someone who doesn’t realize they’re being chased by the police.

There Goes the Neighborhood on June 28, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I spoke before I thought :(

Scrumpy on June 28, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Don’t worry about it :)

gophergirl on June 28, 2013 at 8:30 PM

I need to have a talk with myself in the mirror…

Scrumpy on June 28, 2013 at 8:28 PM

There are plenty of calming meds to help smooth that process, I imagine you know. :-).

Liam on June 28, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Liam on June 28, 2013 at 8:30 PM

:P …………..

Scrumpy on June 28, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Good for you Mary Katherine.

BobMbx on June 28, 2013 at 8:29 PM

You’re right, I have heard of that one. Is that the one that happened in the church parking lot? Very weird. I’m glad he even faced charges. I’ll look into it. Was he convicted or he’s awaiting trial?

Mary Katharine Ham on June 28, 2013 at 8:33 PM

There Goes the Neighborhood on June 28, 2013 at 8:29 PM

A quick test:

1. The law
2. Cops with guns
3. Rationality

Which one doesn’t always fit?

Liam on June 28, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Scrumpy on June 28, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Out. Of. Control.

BigAlSouth on June 28, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Just.The. Beginning.

BallisticBob on June 28, 2013 at 8:36 PM

And again, the taxpayers pay for their incompetent government.

lowandslow on June 28, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Taxpayers can’t win for losing…

Scrumpy on June 28, 2013 at 8:37 PM

This, in pursuit of suspected underaged drinking.

But, we couldn’t possibly do anything like this on either border, thousands of miles of coastline, or any port in the country. No! We have to attack legal Americans for buying bottled water…and, of course, collect all of their ‘metadata’ and emails/texts/tweets.

Smaht Power!

And, more Smaht Power

Pic of the Day: Live From Tahrir Square – You Won’t See This In The MSM

Resist We Much on June 28, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Socratease on June 28, 2013 at 8:27 PM

It’s part of our spiral into the banana republic. Where police are breaking the law as much as any other bad guy. They do shake downs, kidnappings and robberies while turning a blind eye to real crime.

Yeah, going after some little girls in a dark parking lot… the one guy jumping on the hood of her car. They must feel a real high getting off like that. Sorta like ultimate power.

JellyToast on June 28, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Mary Katharine Ham on June 28, 2013 at 8:33 PM

He’s at the Gray Bar Hotel

While you’re at it, check out convict Harmon’s mother, and her skulduggery at the Culpeper PD.

BobMbx on June 28, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Maybe what we need is to do like is done in Britain: The most a cop can carry is a night stick and a can of Mace. If he needs backup with firearms, he has to call in specially-trained officers who are the only ones authorized to be so armed.

Liam on June 28, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Fast forward after a “complete” investigation and the officers didn’t even get a slap on the wrist after they committed murder. That’s why I found this so troubling:

Accountability: FBI deems agents faultless in 100 percent of shootings over 18 years

joekenha on June 28, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Sort of like this…

In 33 years, the kangaroo court with a rubber stamp a/k/a the FISC has only refused the government 11 times.

33,949 applications for warrants have been presented to the FISC since 1979.

33,938 warrant applications have been approved by the FISC since 1979.

IOW, the FISC has approved warrant applications 99.97% of the time since 1979.

Resist We Much on June 28, 2013 at 8:42 PM

…were they Mexican police?

KOOLAID2 on June 28, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Hey.. and lets not forget the Ohio cop who threatened to execute some guy during a traffic stop.

What’s he up to these days? Probably working for the IRS.

JellyToast on June 28, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Is she white?

dmann on June 28, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I guess they don’t do much shopping. Clearly, it’s about time to tear down the wall between the Sparkling Water Control agents and the Alcoholic Beverage Control agents.

Curtiss on June 28, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Ack.

As if I needed any more evidence that Mr. Jefferson’s University and C-ville in general had gone to hell, this is it.

Back in the day, as long as you looked like you were out of high school, there were no questions at bars, grocery stores, often even at the ABC (which was state-controlled, so totalitarian in intent, but staffed totally with state workers, so lazy and incompetent in practice).

Heck, if they wouldn’t sell you liquor, you could find a cop or professor hanging around to buy it for you. Or an upperclassman, but they could sometimes be smug about it if they didn’t remember their roots.

Adjoran on June 28, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Smaht Power!

And, more Smaht Power…

Pic of the Day: Live From Tahrir Square – You Won’t See This In The MSM

Resist We Much on June 28, 2013 at 8:37 PM

We can’t possibly even slow down the flood of illegals into this country, and we can’t prosecute them when they get likkered up, get in their cars and kill our citizens.

We can’t stop two open Islamists from setting off bombs that kill and main dozens of people and force a day long shutdown of a major city to finally catch them, despite half the governments in the world warning us about what rotten apples they are.

But we sure as hell can terrorize three young women buying bottled water by having a plainclothes SWAT team descend on them as they’re leaving the store.

Gator Country on June 28, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I once had a Puerto Rican friend who was on his way to my house one night. He arrived late, whiter than I am.

He had been surrounded by several police cars at a stop sign on his way there, and cops jumped out with weapons drawn. After being questioned (which I imagine involved a lot of police yelling), they explained he and his car resembled someone they for looking far. One cop said, “Sorry,” and they let him go.

Liam on June 28, 2013 at 8:51 PM

The Police Officer’s Creed: “Everyone’s guilty of something.”

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 28, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Obama’s new police state.

Axion on June 28, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago, we are probably more guilty of somthing than we ever imagined at the rate our govt is going…

*spit*

Scrumpy on June 28, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Imagine if the young lady at UVA had a properly filed SP-248, and was legally carrying.

coldwarrior on June 28, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Police officers are sometimes terrible in their disgusting abuses of power.

They are often extremely rude and pushy

bluegill on June 28, 2013 at 9:08 PM

coldwarrior on June 28, 2013 at 9:01 PM

The officer-involved shooting report would most likely mention the quickness and surprise with which the suspect (deceased) brandished a weapon, necessitating the 28 round volley fired by LEOs.

“She just wigged out on us….pulled a gun and we had to defend ourselves”

BobMbx on June 28, 2013 at 9:09 PM

MKH, this one is right up your alley…

Rare Bird Last Spotted 22 Years Ago Reappears… Then Is Quickly Killed by Wind Turbine

Rare bird now even rarer

Resist We Much on June 28, 2013 at 9:11 PM

“She just wigged out on us….pulled a gun and we had to defend ourselves”

BobMbx on June 28, 2013 at 9:09 PM

“Her friends/cohorts [read:witnesses] were accidentally killed in the crossfire.”

Liam on June 28, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Great moments in sanctioned looting:

Sounds like they were trying to prevent looting.

Count to 10 on June 28, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Charlottesville is not a safe place for UVA women. One of my daughters who was a PhD candidate in physics was picked up by the cops for littering. They had a bunch of freshman English papers with her name on them that had been dumped. My daughter had not gone to UVA as an undergraduate and she did look young. An other woman with the same name had been a freshman, had flunked out, and had left town. When my daughter realized what the problem was she asked the cops to call the physics department to get the problem cleared up. A stupid lieutenant of the town police couldn’t be bothered to check. He held my daughter in the police station for three or four hours before making a simple phone call.

burt on June 28, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Heard this story earlier today and was wandering: Did the agents self-identify, shouting, “ABC!” And if so, did the girls shout back, “It’s easy as 1 2 3!”

apostic on June 28, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Rare bird now even rarer

Resist We Much on June 28, 2013 at 9:11 PM

BWAHAHAHAHA

Axe on June 28, 2013 at 9:19 PM

burt on June 28, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Maybe he was on a coffee break. Union rules, you know.

Liam on June 28, 2013 at 9:19 PM

The day I stopped trusting cops ( I have family members who do that)
Sophmore year at the U of M boyfriend and I went to a bar, got into a yelling arguement walking home, MPLS police officer stopped to see what was going on. He let the 6 foot 2 guy go on his way and put me in the back of the squad car. Not arrested just put me in there. Told me he could do what ever he wanted. This was before cell phones etc. He drove around for what felt like forever and would not take me home until I told him who my boyfriend’s father was and who my step father was. Scared the living crap out of me. Since then all cops are suspect in my opinion. Scared to death, if my step father or boyfriends father weren’t significant members relating to law enforcement what would he have done to me?

mnkatie on June 28, 2013 at 9:21 PM

MKH, this one is right up your alley…

Rare bird now even rarer

Resist We Much on June 28, 2013 at 9:11 PM

British humour is so dry…LOL

Liam on June 28, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Wow coming a little heavy for a couple girls suspected of buying beer. Never heard of this in California. The ABC goes after store and bar owners’s with undercover underage officers.

D-Bar on June 28, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Liam on June 28, 2013 at 8:41 PM

There was a time when the police actually did believe in the idea of protecting and serving the public. They were active members of the community, and considered themselves to be a part of that community.

At some point, they morphed into being little more than revenue collectors for the state, and instead of seeing themselves as members of the community, decided it was much more profitable to take an us vs. them attitude toward the community instead. Instead of protecting and serving, it’s now all about maximizing revenue so they can buy more military-style weapons and armored vehicles and fancy tactical gear for themselves.

That’s where we need to start reversing things, if that’s even possible any more.

Gator Country on June 28, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Aw. I was happy, but now extinction’s made me sad.

Axe on June 28, 2013 at 9:22 PM

That has a distinct “Third Reich” sound to it. When cops don’t respect the law, why would they expect citizens to do so?

oldleprechaun on June 28, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Gator Country on June 28, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Very true. When my dad was a kid, he was hellion. But instead of drawing a gun, the cop grabbed my dad by the scruff of the neck and brought him home.

From what I’m told, I think my dad sometimes wanted to beg for arrest and police custody instead. LOL

Liam on June 28, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Let me C…… she can get an abortion… No Problem… but buy an adult beverage ….. bwhahahahahaha

yep…. how dare the gubRmint interfere with a woman’s choice

roflmmfao

donabernathy on June 28, 2013 at 9:29 PM

donabernathy on June 28, 2013 at 9:29 PM

You forgot plan b on request, at any age.

Liam on June 28, 2013 at 9:41 PM

The over militarization and arrogance of our far-too-many police forces in this country is beginning to set up an Us vs Them attitude and will eventually lead to cops feeling no compunction against shooting anyone they want whenever they want. I used to respect the law. That is waning. Our police are right at the beginning of becoming a threat to our safety and rights. One solution is to ELIMINATE many of these tiny, ineffective, and dangerous police forces. Enlarge county sheriffs if you need more protection, but all these thousands of tiny, unprofessional police forces are unnecessary. And for LORD’S sake start taking the license to kill away from every state and federal official. Even the IRS carries automatic weapons these days. It is TOTALLY unnecessary.

Warner Todd Huston on June 28, 2013 at 9:43 PM

On the other hand.

Though the NRA shirt and the other stories cited are good examples of insane reactions, the “on the other hand” linked story doesn’t quite fit in with the group. An 18 old moron who lives bu a school posting on Facebook that he’s “real messed up in the head, I’m going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts” as a “joke” is not the Freedom Of Speech issue hill a person would want to die on. He deserves to harvest the consequences of such intense stupidity in acrion.

whatcat on June 28, 2013 at 9:49 PM

There was many wrong thing done in High River like leaving guns outside the gun save and putting the gun safe in the basement to flood.

There is no Gun right in Canada and somewhere in the law to have a gun licensee they can inspect the gun storage without warrant. But if they did not leave guns unsecured they would not be taken. If I had guns they would need to take the liberty safe to get them out of the house.

tjexcite on June 28, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Warner Todd Huston on June 28, 2013 at 9:43 PM

You might note that the Dept. of EDUCATION has a SWAT TEAM – to collect, I suppose, those overdue student loans.
There are a couple of horror stories about their antics, too.

Solaratov on June 28, 2013 at 10:39 PM

I hear those felony suspected underage drinking women are a pretty dangerous bunch. Good thing the police had plenty of manpower for the job. I wonder how many of these future Inspector Clouseau wannabes is going to take their detective’s test real soon. Perhaps Bloomie can put them to work outside elementary schools to shake down some of those felony big gulp drinkers.

ghostwalker1 on June 28, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Like several up thread, I was a big time fan of Law enforcement, and fortunately I live in an area where the cops are still relatively honest and good people who do want to “protect and serve”.

But, and more the Cops and pseudo-cops, especially in major cities, (or even out in the suburbs in leftist areas) are going after petty misdemeanors or even suspects of petty misdemeanors with ‘overwhelming force’.

Mr. Tin Hat says that they are just practicing and just getting the public used to unnecessary force and abuse, for the coming riots and societal collapse.

Himmler and Rohm would approve of this tactic.

LegendHasIt on June 29, 2013 at 12:44 AM

US Cops are horrible.

lexhamfox on June 29, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Good to know there are no murderers, rapists, housebreakers, muggers, child molesters, car thieves, robbers, etc. in the area causing any trouble that might require the police to do a real job instead of terrorizing young women buying groceries.

profitsbeard on June 29, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Rare bird now even rarer

Resist We Much on June 28, 2013 at 9:11 PM

…and it’s the fault of the damn leftists!

On topic, it’s all about control and the transition toward Somalia/Bangladesh.

Schadenfreude on June 29, 2013 at 1:44 AM

In their heads, they were Navy SEALS raiding the bin Laden compound.

BDavis on June 29, 2013 at 3:22 AM

What are “unidentifiable badges”? The Virginia ABC Bureau of Law Enforcement badges look like regular law enforcement badges. Uniforms? Criminals can put on uniforms, e.g. terrorists in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The women panicked, which is not the problem of law enforcement. Maybe they shouldn’t go out at night if they are so easily panicked.

Karmi on June 29, 2013 at 5:56 AM

How many of them walked right by an open drug sale to get the adrenalin rush from assaulting with weapons a potential underage drinker? Maybe if she had shouted in Spanish, “I’m an illegal” they would have hightailed it out of there quicker than you can say, bottled water.

We are watching the just one of the many early symptoms of a police state but refuse to believe it.

Don L on June 29, 2013 at 7:00 AM

If it weren’t so tragic, it would serve as a scene in a comedic parody – like a scene from the movie Reno 911. Thanks God no one was injured or killed in this incident.

NumberTwo on June 29, 2013 at 7:31 AM

…this is what our government has become in just a few short years!

KOOLAID2 on June 28, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Yes, I can remember a time when officers were normally respectful and did their best to be fair and helpful.

After so many years of liberal/progressive influence, society has become coarse and ugly.

petefrt on June 29, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Put a badge on someone and they change personality, seen it many times. If a group of men approached me in plain clothes I’m sure I would panic. Badges and phony ID are available in many places.

mixplix on June 29, 2013 at 8:04 AM

What??

Lothar on June 29, 2013 at 8:48 AM

profitsbeard on June 29, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Whoah, whoah, whoah, profitsbeard! That is like, totally out of their jurisdiction! These guys only have jurisdiction over young women buying groceries. It’s all they’ve got! Why do you want to take that away from them? Why do you want to make their job so awfully hollow and unfulfilling? /s

Karmi on June 29, 2013 at 5:56 AM

Actually, it IS the problem of LE. First, if the actions of a LEO prompt fear and flight reactions in innocent people, then they most certainly are doing it wrong! Second, no woman should be barred from a normal activity because they might react negatively at the sight of several armed people descending on her and shouting. That’s why the heck we have police: to ensure that folks can go about a normal life without living in fear!

Caveat: Yes, if the intent of the police is to control, not to protect and serve, then causing fear is obviously not “doing it wrong”. And, yes, many police seem to have gone beyond that mandate of helping the rest of us to live without fear.

Advice: Please think about whether you truly mean “police are bad” or “I don’t respect the law”. Or, whether you really mean “some individual police and some forces have gone bad” and “I don’t respect how the law is used” or “I don’t respect those who enforce the law”. The difference is between someone who unthinkingly reacts and becomes a problem for society, and someone who sees a problem and responds with prejudice given the situation. I’m thinking for most here, it’s an issue of communicating clearly rather than an issue of actual blanket anger and unthinking response. (Though there are a few around here who actually do mean it.)

GWB on June 29, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Hmmmmm……..looks a sarc tag isn’t enough anymore

BobMbx on June 29, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Leaping on the hood? Doesn’t sound like proper police procedure to me, more like Miami Vice. No wonder the girls were scared.

Kissmygrits on June 29, 2013 at 9:47 AM

My faith in local law enforcement has slowly eroded over the years as I’ve seen them focus on petty “crimes” and ignore bigger ones. My faith in them was dealt a fatal blow when I read last week of an acquaintance who scored “superior” on her tests for the Sheriff’s office and was hired as a deputy sheriff. She’s irrational and vindictive. I cringe to think of how she’d behave in a crisis situation.

themediansib on June 29, 2013 at 9:56 AM

On the funny side…………… my niece who was going to an very expensive private college in the South was pulled over behind the college. Her offense was that she was blond and very nice looking. Well, the young policeman came up to her car and pulled out his ticket pad and began to flirt with her. The next thing he saw was a huge oak limb fall on top of his patrol car, smashing the roof and breaking his window. He just told her to go on. I guess you might say that God intervened.

SC.Charlie on June 29, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Kissmygrits on June 29, 2013 at 9:47 AM

There’s a reason for doing this. If you move your car while the cop is on your hood, he’ll “fall off” and, regardless of the speed or any other circumstance, you’re now subject to an attempted murder of a police officer charge.

Its something they do to ensure you go to jail for not obeying them.

BobMbx on June 29, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Glenn Reynolds of Instapundit.com makes it quite clear that our the police in the United States have become militarized in the last twenty years or so. If you don’t read Instapundit.com, you should.

SC.Charlie on June 29, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Rare bird now even rarer – Resist We Much on June 28, 2013 at 9:11 PM

All to light one light bulb and rob the public till via tax subsidies.

SC.Charlie on June 29, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Where is the common sense? A police chief with an ounce of it would realize these kinds of behavior eventually lead to escalation by citizens, leading to even more outrageous responses from the cops. This stuff won’t end well.

Local police need to start approaching their jobs from the “keep the peace” perspective. Sending five undercovers after a bunch of sorority girls buying ice cream and water should cost a chief his job and suspensions for the a-hole who pulled a gun. The commonwealth might want to investigate these crazies too; the state has a legitimate interest in preventing citizen on cops violence, and these kinds of stories will eventually lead to that sort of ugliness.

MTF on June 29, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Dudley Do-Right and Due South were reasons enough for me.

Myron Falwell on June 29, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Perhaps we should start having all police take drug tests for the use of steroids.

SC.Charlie on June 29, 2013 at 10:24 AM

New Republican/Libertarians, baked fresh daily

WryTrvllr on June 29, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Even if the HAD beer, this was just a bit of an over reaction.

Wander on June 29, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Regarding the teenager with the non-state approved t-shirt:

GunsSaveLives.net has been following this story and there are even more twists to this.

A judge attempted to put a gag order on it which almost landed a local reporter in jail.

The young man wasn’t the only one who’s 1st amendment rights were jeopardized in this case.

kurtzz3 on June 29, 2013 at 11:27 AM