Video: Rubio’s closing argument on immigration reform

posted at 4:01 pm on June 27, 2013 by Allahpundit

When I asked on Twitter whether any video of his speech this afternoon was available, someone snarked back that I should just read his RNC speech from last year since they’re basically the same. Not true, but it’s not totally untrue either. Every Rubio speech has the same template: Lots of biography, lots of shining-city-on-the-hill platitudes about America, and then, almost as an afterthought, some remarks on the subject at hand. Obama’s famous speech at the 2004 Democratic convention is the eternal model, which makes sense because Rubio’s following the same path that O did: He, personally, is The Change. By virtue of his youth, optimism, and distinct personal identity, he can lead his party and the country to a degree of success that no one else can. This is what he’s counting on, in fact, to smooth things over with conservatives who are angry with him over immigration come 2016. You guys want your own Obama to steamroll the opposition through the sheer force of his charisma and only-in-America personal success story, don’t you? Well, here he is. Cut him some slack on amnesty, which was designed as a pander to win national elections in the first place, and let’s roll. Fired up, ready to go!

John McCormack of the Weekly Standard was reminiscing on Twitter a few hours ago about interviewing candidate Rubio in 2009 and being reassured, repeatedly, that he wouldn’t support amnesty even for a hardworking law-abiding (except for crossing the border!) illegal immigrant family because it would be unfair to people who followed the rules to let anyone who didn’t off scot-free. Four years later, now that he’s a legit presidential contender, the rule of law has sunk into a gooey soup of dreams:

Here they brought their language and their customs. Their religions and their music. And somehow, made them ours as well. From a collection of people from everywhere, we became one people. The most exceptional nation in human history.

And even with all our challenges, we remain the shining city on the hill. We are still the hope of the world.

Go to our factories and fields. Go to our kitchens and construction sites. Go to the cafeteria of this very Capitol. There, you will find that the miracle of America still lives.

For here, in America, those who once had no hope, will give their children the life they once wanted for themselves.

Here, in America, generations of unfulfilled dreams will finally come to pass.

I support this reform.

Not just because I believe in immigrants, but because I believe in America even more.

That last line is almost a self-parody of Rubio’s strained non-sequitur attempts to sweep away legitimate differences on policy with sunny city-on-the-hill rhetoric. Forget whether the bill is terrible, or whether it creates incentives for employers to hire illegals over Americans, or whether it’ll lead to another amnesty in 25 years, or whether it’ll worsen the entitlement crunch when legalized illegals start retiring. We’re talking about dreams here. And so I repeat a point I made recently: Did candidate Rubio, the staunch amnesty opponent, never consider “dreams”? Did he never think deeply about this issue until after he was elected, despite debating it with Charlie Crist repeatedly in 2010? What changed between the time McCormack interviewed him and today, besides the political expediency involved in supporting amnesty? The answer, I think, is that America is the last, best hope of mankind, and a miracle birthed by the Founders, and we are not blue states or red states but the United States, so stop asking questions already, okay?

But now let me repeat another point I made recently: This speech isn’t aimed at you and me. We’re ideologues, and he kissed off the ideologues when he decided to support an amnesty bill. It’s aimed at the majority who pay attention to the news one or two hours a week, like the idea of bipartisan compromise and comprehensive immigration reform even though they really don’t know what’s in the bill, and will enjoy listening to a fluid hopeful communicator like Rubio talk about the promise and glory of America as a contrast to stiffs like McCain and Romney. The guy knows who his audience is, and he knows what he’s doing. That’s the one consolation for border hawks if he ends up as nominee — he’ll certainly, certainly be better at getting his message out than the last few nominees were. Who knows? Instead of losing 73 percent of the Latino vote next time, we might only lose 65.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Over

Bmore on June 27, 2013 at 8:31 PM

It’s those 15 RINOs who have underestimated the seriousness of this vote. The closest example of just how bad this is going to go down for them is if they’d voted for Obamacare. Each and every one is deserving of the same derision as Arlen Specter was treated to over his vote on Porkulus. They’re all turncoats of the same stripe.

Murf76 on June 27, 2013 at 6:55 PM

No. NO, damnit.

They are deserving of far, far worse than meager ‘derision’, ffs. They are deserving of a fate we USED to mete out to traitors.

Midas on June 27, 2013 at 8:33 PM

But Hispanics work hard and hate abortion…they are CATHOLICS, for goodness’ sakes!

I agree with see. I’m not going to deny most Hispanics are pretty liberal…..but when it comes to abortion most of the Hispanics here in South Texas are against abortion.

terryannonline on June 27, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Trust me. He will do much better than 65 percent.

terryannonline on June 27, 2013 at 5:45 PM

If you really believe that, you are a f*cking idiot.

Midas on June 27, 2013 at 8:40 PM

If you really believe that, you are a f*cking idiot.

Midas on June 27, 2013 at 8:40 PM

You favorite my comment and hold me to it. If he were to run….he will get better than 65 percent.

terryannonline on June 27, 2013 at 8:44 PM

At the very best we have an idealistic boy in a hard, corrupt world but, more likely, we have a liberal squish, who sucker punched conservatives into making him US Senator .If this is true, look for the possibility of Rubio running as Hillary Clinton’s vice president in 2016-on his way to becoming the first Hispanic president in 2024–but that time there will be 40-50 million more Hispanic voters in the US.

MaiDee on June 27, 2013 at 8:45 PM

terryannonline on June 27, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Deal. We will not get 65% or more of the Latino vote. And you are categorically a f*cking idiot.

Midas on June 27, 2013 at 8:46 PM

A few weeks back I received an e mail from Kelly Ayotte seeking funds because she voted against gun background checks. I responded today that I will participate in her next campaign, supporting any Republican who runs against her and, if she wins the primary, her Democratic opponent. in the GE. And, I will.

bw222 on June 27, 2013 at 8:51 PM

terryannonline on June 27, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Every time I think you can’t get any dumber ….

bw222 on June 27, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Staying in character, Terryann misses the snarkasm and mumbles inanity. Shame on me for picking on such an easy target.

Jaibones on June 27, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Hoeven (R-ND)
Kirk (R-IL)
McCain (R-AZ)
Murkowski (R-AK)
Rubio (R-FL)

jake-the-goose on June 27, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Can’t get ‘em all in 2014, but we can make a start…

2014:

2018:
Corker
Flake
Hatch (retiring)
Heller
Wicker (cloture vote)

*Chiesa is a Christie appointment.

I’m hopeful that if we make a good start with Alexander, Collins, and Graham, older fellas like McCain will save us the trouble and retire.

Murf76 on June 27, 2013 at 8:58 PM

OMGoodness, you can’t be serious.

he will get better than 65 percent.

terryannonline on June 27, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Midas on June 27, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Categorically.

Jaibones on June 27, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Midas on June 27, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Arlen Specter died an ignominious death of cancer, outcast as a political pariah. He didn’t get off lightly.

Murf76 on June 27, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Dump the 14 in 2014

Uh…Jake? You know the Senators enjoy a 6 year term, right?

Jaibones on June 27, 2013 at 9:04 PM

The Catholic Church is like the Loyal Order of Moose or that club Fred Flintstone is belonged to, down there, if anybody ever bothered to go and look. Some old ladies and mental defectives really pray a lot.

Did anyone listen to his story?

I never did like that guy.

IlikedAUH2O on June 27, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Three things:

1. They voted for Pelosi, Reid and obama…no more needs to be said, but:

2. To Hell with this moron

3. If they work so hard, as a group, why are the lands they leave ratholes? Yes, yes, I know, many do work hard and their politicians are scum…but have you ever had to fix the work they did? Plus, where are their intellectuals? Why don’t they make a heaven out of wonderful Mexico, which is endowed so richly?…for just one example. Why do the fools vote for Chavez?

Bottom line, it’s easier for you to work harder and pay for all of them.

Schadenfreude on June 27, 2013 at 9:07 PM

In a perfect world I would love my politicians to never change their positions. But unfortunately politicians aren’t the most consistent honest people.

terryannonline on June 27, 2013 at 6:02 PM

bw222 on June 27, 2013 at 9:10 PM

His shot has past.

He made his choice.

All he has left, is the hope everyone else collapses in the process.

budfox on June 27, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Every time I think you can’t get any dumber ….

bw222 on June 27, 2013 at 8:53 PM

We will see how dumb I am in Novemeber 2016. I will be the smartest cookie on HotAir.

terryannonline on June 27, 2013 at 9:20 PM

AP:

LOL, silly optimism.

Amadeus on June 27, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Rubio is the most charismatic Republican I’ve seen.

Wow.

terryannonline on June 27, 2013 at 5:43 PM

You don’t get out much, do you?

Solaratov on June 27, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Ok Bush got 35% of the Hispanic vote…..why is it hard for you all to believe that Rubio can do better?

terryannonline on June 27, 2013 at 9:31 PM

…the smartest cookie on HotAir.
terryannonline on June 27, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Snickerdoodle or macaroon?

LegendHasIt on June 27, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Rubio? Didn’t he used to be somebody?

claudius on June 27, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Deal. We will not get 65% or more of the Latino vote.

Um…..I was quoting Allahpundit and he said lose by 65….I was not saying he was going to get 65 percent of the vote.

Misread you comment.

terryannonline on June 27, 2013 at 9:36 PM

terryannonline on June 27, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Translation:

“I don’t care, Rubio is awesome.”

ebrown2 on June 27, 2013 at 9:38 PM

terryannonline on June 27, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Perfect example to anyone who wonders why the Republic has gone to hell.

LegendHasIt on June 27, 2013 at 5:47 PM

She doesn’t strike you as a deep thinker Legend?

arnold ziffel on June 27, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Way down deep, terryannonline is quite shallow.

Solaratov on June 27, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Way down deep, terryannonline is quite shallow.

Solaratov on June 27, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Shallow? Me? Hardly.

What I do think is quite shallow is prescribing a personality characteristic to someone you’ve never met and don’t know just because they left a comment on a blog that you don’t agree.

terryannonline on June 27, 2013 at 9:48 PM

terryannonline on June 27, 2013 at 9:20 PM

You drink a lot, don’t you?

Solaratov on June 27, 2013 at 9:49 PM

You drink a lot, don’t you?

Solaratov on June 27, 2013 at 9:49 PM

I am actually church-going Christian who takes sobriety seriously. But thanks for asking.

terryannonline on June 27, 2013 at 9:51 PM

I will be the smartest cookie on HotAir.

terryannonline on June 27, 2013 at 9:20 PM

You’ve certainly had your head in the oven long enough.

VorDaj on June 27, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Booth assassinated Lincoln. Rubio is trying to assassinate the whole country.

VorDaj on June 27, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I remember kids in the fifth grade who responded the same way a certain commenter does here on HotAir. They usually stuck out their tongue and rolled their eyes after making some smarty pants remark. And no one liked them either. Some people just never grow up. They thrive on irritating everyone else especially by mocking and ridiculing others. I never understood why they were not happy hanging with their own kind. Any guess who this irritant might be?

mobydutch on June 27, 2013 at 10:37 PM

I will be the smartest cookie on HotAir.

terryannonline on June 27, 2013 at 9:20 PM

That’s the spirit!

Jaibones on June 27, 2013 at 10:38 PM

terryannonline on June 27, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I’ll bite.

Because Hispanics are the penultimate low information voters and like black Americans get their news to a frightening degree from The Idiot Box and pop culture.

Illiteracy is rampant and destructive, along with unemployment, out of wedlock births, drug and alcohol abuse, and gangs. This is why leftwing propaganda from the networks and the entertainment/whoring industry is so effective on minorities — you have to be able to read English to avoid them.

And that is why it is so hard for me to believe that Hispanics will figure out that Republican policies are in their best interests. Even McCain, Rubio, and Graham tell Mexicans that Republicans are bigots and racists who hate them.

Jaibones on June 27, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Hmm, my comment about the quaintness of relying on the broken/rigged system to fix the broken/rigged system seems to have been moderated.

Maybe if I called everyone a teabagger the mods would like me better.

Midas on June 27, 2013 at 10:52 PM

By the way, I’m telling all of my friends and family in the UK to come on over – through the backdoor, of course.
Resist We Much on June 27, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I hope you do. We need diversity in this looting. Have them pretend they dont know English. That should do it

As I warned months ago, watch the RINOs increasing take on the form and methodologies of the Left.
rrpjr on June 27, 2013 at 6:25 PM

You are correct

Rubio’s stock speech is getting old. At the convention the RINOs brought out diversity clones, who gave the same speech about immigration, roots, and BINGO success. They probably had a PDF fill-in form for the speech.

IN hindsight, they were setting the stage for the amnesty scam

The most disgusting line in Rubio’s speech:

Go to the factories, kitchens, construction sites and you will find jobs stolen from unemployed Americans. They aren’t giving their kids this, they are stealing it and Rubio stole his way into a position to pull off the heist.

IMHO Rubio playing Tea Party was a strategy. He only had to get elected. After that he has been the face of amnesty. The only face. West was gerrymandered out. Rubio was jebbiemandered in

His presidential hopes? He has a trail of video lies longer than the border, because he has been the official liar for the scam

It shall be a pleasure to spread the information

entagor on June 27, 2013 at 10:57 PM

BTW, his convention speech last Summer was just a huge bore.

The only life in that whole three days of Progressives lying to us that they were Conservatives was Clint Freaking Eastwood.

Marco, you’re not the lighter skinned just as skilled gop version of Obama.

PappyD61 on June 27, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Do like I did today.

I rec’d a letter from the RNC. I took a sharpie and wrote a nice little message to them and returned with love and kisses. They even sent a postage paid envelope to return my check.

Oh, there wasn’t a check in it (he he) but there was a pretty LOUD AND CLEAR message.

Take a few minutes to show your opinion to them the next time they ask for $$$$$.

After all, they carrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreee about us soooooooo very much.

PappyD61 on June 27, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Freedom Fries Eating Surrender Monkeys

(I’m not Bmore, but it isn’t too bad)

Resist We Much on June 27, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Rubio isn’t just a RINO.

Rubio is a straight up fraud who totally misrepresented himself to voters and then did a complete 180 to screw over conservatives and go all in for illegal alien amnesty, the Democrats’ coveted dream of a “pathway to citizenship” for tens of millions of illegals who will largely never vote Republican. What a disgrace and a slap in the face to legal immigrants to legalize all these illegal aliens and then to turn around and not even secure the border.

Rubio may be the most destructive senator we have had in a long time.

To say Rubio has been a huge disappointment would be a tremendous understatement.

bluegill on June 27, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Dump Rubio!!

bluegill on June 27, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Did Porco Rubio actually open his remarks with “Hello, Sailor” or was that Orrin Hatch?

viking01 on June 27, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Primary him. It’s done. He had such potential. I guess he forgot his allegiance was to the US. Not Mexico and the Democrat party.

This is an insult to all the good people who legally immigrate to America every year. It is a slap in their faces and a kick in their gut.

Call this bill whatever you want.. but you are rewarding both the Democrat party and people who break the law.. while spitting in the face of those people who obey the law!

Illegal immigrants are nothing but line jumpers! When it comes right down to it.. they are line jumpers! You don’t reward people who jump in front of you in the line at the super market! You kick them out! Rubio wants to give them special status!

Cry, beat your chest, spew wonderful words… but you are and always will be wrong!

JellyToast on June 28, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Well Rubio certainly made news! It was a good run. He can now enjoy his government pension and maybe retire to a state that doesn’t have a big immigration problem.

Please take McCain and Graham with you. Murkowski and Collins will lose without your help. Best if you didn’t attend conservative venues since it always ends in confusion.

virgo on June 28, 2013 at 12:38 AM

jake-the-goose on June 27, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I don’t think they’re all up in 2014, but dump them at the first occasion. Hatch and Ayotte, what a scumbag and scumhag…yes, yes, all of them.

Schadenfreude on June 28, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Rubio takes twice as long to shave as normal men.

It’s that second face that does it.

profitsbeard on June 28, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Why is it so hard to believe that Rubio can knock it out of the ballpark with Latinos in 2016?!

Cause I am old enough to remember what happened after the 1986 amnesty, that’s why!

gryphon202 on June 28, 2013 at 5:28 AM

I keep hearing about the GOP’s “deep bench” for 2016, but if it’s filled with the likes of Rubio, Christie, Bush, and Santorum, it’s more like the Houston Astros.

Sorry about that – I shouldn’t insult the Astros that way.

I’ll turn out to vote for Ted Cruz, Rick Perry, Rand Paul, or Scott Walker…but if it’s one of the above, the Libertarian Party will get an enthusiastic new voter. I always liked Gary Johnson, anyway.

DRayRaven on June 28, 2013 at 5:52 AM

DRayRaven on June 28, 2013 at 5:52 AM

Just know that Scott Walker is an enthusiastic amnesty supporter.

bluegill on June 28, 2013 at 7:00 AM

Let’s all view this an opportunity. Which other laws can we violate for decades and have the government wipe the slate clean?

Bank robbery? Tax evasion? Assault and battery?

After all, our dreams might be deferred if we can’t loot the 1st National Bank.

jangle12 on June 28, 2013 at 7:38 AM

And for sharts and giggles, primary Rubio with a current illegal alien, since Marco and his ilk couldn’t care less about the rule of law. Call it a “Pathway to the Senate.”

Christien on June 27, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Didn’t we already try this experiment with the President?

RandallinHerndon on June 28, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Four years later, now that he’s a legit presidential contender

Meh. Everyone over 35 and born in the US is a legit contender.

Nutstuyu on June 28, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Rep Stockman will attempt to “blue slip” the comprehensive immegration reform measure!

I just heard him make that statement on a Houston radio station.

The bill contains new taxes and increases that have not originated in the House.

The fight is not over.

If successful, this bill cannot go to conference.

gonnjos on June 28, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Didn’t we already try this experiment with the President?

RandallinHerndon on June 28, 2013 at 8:21 AM

And it worked. He got elected.

I like this plan. Primary Rubio with an illegal alien. Hell, rub salt in the wound. Make it an illegal that doesn’t even live in Florida!!!!

runawayyyy on June 28, 2013 at 8:40 AM

I thought I had heard somewhere that Scott Walker’s last name is actually “Andale”.

!Arriba¡ !Arriba¡ !Yeee-ha¡

viking01 on June 28, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Excuse me, but I can’t tell the difference between this conservatism and liberalism…and you wonder why I’m in the middle?

YOU ARE ALL LIBERALS

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on June 27, 2013 at 5:26 PM

If you’re in the middle of those two groups, then YOU’RE LIBERAL TOO.

Nutstuyu on June 28, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Remember, there are several Republicans who voted to bring this up for a full vote, knowing it would pass, who then voted against it so they could take both sides of the issue. They are just as responsible as the Pubs who actually voted for the bill in the full Senate.

tommyboy on June 28, 2013 at 9:05 AM

tommyboy on June 28, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Exactly right! We need to clean house (or Senate) between now and 2018. Nothing would please me more than to see Lindsay light in the loafers Graham defeated in a primary. At least he will be able to stay on as a McLame staffer.

RandallinHerndon on June 28, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Here, in America, the attainment of the objective of the criminal aliens generations of unfulfilled dreams will finally come to pass. Again.

Akzed on June 28, 2013 at 9:38 AM

So many of you are ‘through!’ with Rubio –
But this is much more the Republicans (both office holders and voters) being through with you.
You had your 15 minutes with your clown car primary –
but next round it’s gonna be Rubio and Paul types up there.
You should be grateful.
But being ‘mad’ has always been the preferred emotion.
I’m grateful – and I’m pretty unlikely to vote for these guys.

verbaluce on June 28, 2013 at 10:00 AM

2nd look at Crist? How are we to ever know if the candidate is lying during a campaign or not? It seems they do whatever they want to when arriving in DC. Either he owes some group a lot of payback, or his plans only include doing what’s best for MR instead of what’s best for the country. Isn’t this what we have now.

Kissmygrits on June 28, 2013 at 10:02 AM

They are deserving of a fate we USED to mete out to traitors.

Midas on June 27, 2013 at 8:33 PM

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself.

For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”~Marcus Tullius Cicero

davidk on June 28, 2013 at 10:13 AM

MKH just said on Fox News that she is “friendly” and “persuadable” when it comes to “immigration reform,” by which I assume means amnesty.

Yuck!!

MKH suggested she has no anger over the Senate amnesty bill.

This is our blogger?

bluegill on June 28, 2013 at 10:18 AM

We have Ed and MKH open to amnesty. What is happening to HotAir?

At least Allahpundit still apparently believes in immigration law enforcement and isn’t so gullible when it comes to these amnesty schemes.

bluegill on June 28, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I hate how MKH rolls her eyes and acts as of she’s so “with it” and “cool” and of course knows that people supposedly have to be open to amnesty. She doesn’t seem very principled to me! Seems like she wants to come off as likable more than stand up for what’s right.

bluegill on June 28, 2013 at 10:25 AM

bluegill on June 28, 2013 at 10:18 AM

As I’ve been saying…this train has left the station.
Allah and Ed are on-board as well as MKH.
Shouting the word ‘amnesty’ at every effort that isn’t arrest and deport…it’s not working anymore.

verbaluce on June 28, 2013 at 10:25 AM

MKH showed no fire or passion in her Fox News appearance this morning when discussing amnesty. It’s like she preferred to have a friendly little chat with her pal Juan while giving sterile analysis and rolling her eyes and nodding, apparently agreeing with Juan that it would be so great if only the four republicans and 4 democrats would produce something that actually got done… even if those supposedly pesky tea party people would never be happy.

I was really disappointed with her casual treatment of the subject.

bluegill on June 28, 2013 at 10:29 AM

As I’ve been saying…this train has left the station.
Allah and Ed are on-board as well as MKH.
verbaluce on June 28, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Sorry, but Ed and MKH aren’t on the bullet train train called “secure the borders and enforce immigration law express” that most of the country boarded long ago and remains on.

Sorry, but Ed and MKH aren’t exactly representative of the wider voting public, though I love Ed.

bluegill on June 28, 2013 at 10:33 AM

And Rubio is the conductor of the little amnesty chu chu that couldn’t.

bluegill on June 28, 2013 at 10:37 AM

As I’ve been saying…this train has left the station.
Allah and Ed are on-board as well as MKH.

verbaluce on June 28, 2013 at 10:25 AM

So why does you side always have to lie about everything? Is it how you were brought up? Single mother right? Why do you want to give illegal immigrants special privileges and not immigrants attempting to entire country legally? That is what your immoral side stands for.

Cute how your morals depend on popular opinion and polls.

ClassicCon on June 28, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Allah and Ed are on-board as well as MKH.
verbaluce on June 28, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Wow. I better get on that train. I wouldn’t want to disagree with Ed, Allah and “MKH,” whoever that is.

rrpjr on June 28, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Is it how you were brought up? Single mother right?

ClassicCon on June 28, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Huh?
You might wanna focus just a tad more on your own upbringing.
(Though I’m not gonna blame your folks…well meaning people, I’m sure.)

verbaluce on June 28, 2013 at 11:00 AM

We don’t want to hear closing arguments–we want to hear about closing borders my backstabbing friends on the right.

Don L on June 28, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Great speech.

America’s boned.

TimBuk3 on June 28, 2013 at 11:21 AM

…and “MKH,” whoever that is.

rrpjr on June 28, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I don’t think you’re new here, right?
MKH is Mary Katharine Ham…a blogger at HA.
(HA is ‘Hot Air’.)

verbaluce on June 28, 2013 at 11:26 AM

As I’ve been saying…this train has left the station.
Allah and Ed are on-board as well as MKH.
verbaluce on June 28, 2013 at 10:25 AM

What a naive person you are, over and over.

These 3 are what in the scheme of the population which are not on board?

Schadenfreude on June 28, 2013 at 11:36 AM

MKH is Mary Katharine Ham…a blogger at HA.

verbaluce on June 28, 2013 at 11:26 AM

And I’m supposed to give a sh*t?

rrpjr on June 28, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Latinos get less abortions but they still make up a significant portion of those who do: 36% are non-Hispanic white, 30% are non-Hispanic black, 25% are Hispanic and 9% are women of other races.

So, enough with this BS that amnesty is some give to conservatism.

Blake on June 28, 2013 at 11:53 AM

For months Rubio has blathered about the need for well considered debate from all sides so the people could decide, yet he voted to end debate on a 1200 page amendment two days after it was presented. This proves he is a fraud.

Shumer treated Rubio like a new hot mistress. Wined him, dined him, told him he was pretty and smart, then used him and will dump him now that he’s had his way with him. Shame on Rubio for his naievty and hubris, he is dragging us all down.

Mr A on June 28, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Maybe we need two HotAirs?

HotAir Original

HotAir Lying Rinos

Blake on June 28, 2013 at 11:56 AM

What a naive person you are, over and over.

These 3 are what in the scheme of the population which are not on board?

Schadenfreude on June 28, 2013 at 11:36 AM

So this is where you do favor (some) polls?
But fact is, momentum is building here because this is indeed the right direction to be moving in – something understood, accepted, and supported by most of ‘the population’.
Naive? I suppose you also think I was being naive when I was expecting SCOTUS to rule DOMA unconstitutional.

verbaluce on June 28, 2013 at 11:58 AM

And I’m supposed to give a sh*t?

rrpjr on June 28, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Why start now?

verbaluce on June 28, 2013 at 11:59 AM

terryannonline on June 27, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Hmmmm.
In one hand; abortion bad…………other hand; free stuff good

Gimmie a break…we’ll take free stuff
III/0317

dirtengineer on June 28, 2013 at 12:00 PM

We have Ed and MKH open to amnesty. What is happening to HotAir?

bluegill on June 28, 2013 at 10:22 AM

i love AP, he’s my favorite blogger here. HA needs more like him.

Sachiko on June 28, 2013 at 12:00 PM

But I welcome sanity, substance, rational thinking, pragmatism and such back to the GOP. verbaluce on June 28, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Which confirms the legitimacy of normal people’s disgust with Rubio and his ilk.

Thanks for your concern though.

Akzed on June 28, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Maybe we need two HotAirs?

HotAir Original

HotAir Lying Rinos

Blake on June 28, 2013 at 11:56 AM

You might feel better over at Breitbart…or Malkin’s site.
Stridency and enraged bloviating is welcomed and encouraged there.

verbaluce on June 28, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Rubio takes twice as long to shave as normal men.

It’s that second face that does it.

profitsbeard on June 28, 2013 at 1:46 AM

haha. =)

Sachiko on June 28, 2013 at 12:03 PM

verbaluce on June 28, 2013 at 10:25 AM

And, neither will a lot of American citizens, who get laid off because their employers can avoid paying for either their insurance or an Obamacare ‘tax’ and replace them with ‘legalised’ workers who they won’t.

Love that ObamaCar programme, too. Just remember it the next time that you drive by an African-American waiting in the rain for the bus to arrive and take her to work.

Young, ‘legalised’ criminaliens will be passing her by, too, on their way to the jobs that they took from unskilled, lower-wage workers.

Resist We Much on June 28, 2013 at 12:07 PM

verbaluce on June 28, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Wow, you just broke the ‘logic’ door…into space.

Relax, we’re all gay now.

Schadenfreude on June 28, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Why start now?

verbaluce on June 28, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Right. Why? Why would anybody care about the wordsmith commentariat in general or “bloggers at HA” in particular defining amnesty or otherwise forming morally authoritative definitions on any issue in such a way as to represent, in your juvenile metaphor, “trains” of thought leaving stations?

rrpjr on June 28, 2013 at 12:13 PM

HotAir Lying Rinos Lite

Blake on June 28, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Axe on June 28, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Resist We Much on June 28, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I’m reminded of this.

verbaluce on June 28, 2013 at 12:28 PM

rrpjr on June 28, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I’d say you’re the one working the angle.
(And the juvenile ones.)
Nobody is defining the word ‘amnesty’. It is being dismissed.
The debate is finally being had sans the ‘outrage’ rhetoric.
Well, for some.

verbaluce on June 28, 2013 at 12:32 PM

I was really disappointed with her casual treatment of the subject.

bluegill on June 28, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Yeah, but I’m sure her hair and nails were awesome!

HB3 on June 28, 2013 at 12:32 PM

verbaluce on June 28, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Wow, you just broke the ‘logic’ door…into space.

Relax, we’re all gay now.

Schadenfreude on June 28, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I know you can be more articulate than that.
When you want to be.

verbaluce on June 28, 2013 at 12:33 PM

(FIXED)

rrpjr on June 28, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I’d say you’re the one working the ‘morally authoritative’ angle.
(And the juvenile ones.)
Nobody is defining the word ‘amnesty’. It is being dismissed.
The debate is finally being had sans the ‘outrage’ rhetoric.
Well, for some.

verbaluce on June 28, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I’d say you’re the one working the ‘morally authoritative’ angle.
(And the juvenile ones.)
Nobody is defining the word ‘amnesty’. It is being dismissed.
The debate is finally being had sans the ‘outrage’ rhetoric.
Well, for some.

verbaluce on June 28, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Just because nobody is defending the word doesn’t mean that nobody is defending what it is.

And I’d say it’s pretty gooddam morally authoritative to expect our elected officials to follow the constitution which says all laws must be faithfully enforced and executed by the Executive branch.

gryphon202 on June 28, 2013 at 12:46 PM

gryphon202 on June 28, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Defending = defining. People may not be defining amnesty, but they sure are defending it nonetheless. Dismissing the word doesn’t lessen the impact the concept will have once it’s implemented.

/FIFM

gryphon202 on June 28, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I’m reminded of this.

verbaluce on June 28, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I’ll see your Henny Penny and raise you one United States Civil Rights Commission report…

Civil Rights Commission: “Granting Illegal Immigrants Effective Amnesty Would ‘Harm Lower-Skilled African-Americans’”

And, raise you yet another two in the forms of CBO report…

Economic Impact of S 744

Cost Estimate of S 744

Unlike you, I don’t rebut arguments with faerie tales.

Resist We Much on June 28, 2013 at 12:51 PM