Quotes of the day

posted at 10:01 pm on June 27, 2013 by Allahpundit

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., who served four terms in the House, said: “To our friends in the House: I understand that you have a different approach. Speak with your voice. Speak in a way that you feel comfortable. Just don’t ignore the issue.”

Added Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., “We stand ready to sit down and negotiate with you.”

***

Immigration “reform” passed the Senate Thursday, 68 to 32. At first glance, this is the most votes any major immigration bill has gotten. In 1986, reform passed 62-24, and in 2006, it passed 62-36.

But when you dig deeper into the numbers, you’ll find that support among Senate Republicans has fallen dramatically this time. In 1986, 29 Republicans voted for the immigration bill, which, history has shown, granted amnesty to illegal immigrants but never secured the border. In 2006, border security was promised again, but this time 23 Republicans voted for the bill.

Flash forward to today, when just 14 Senate Republicans voted for the 1,200-page immigration bill.

***

Following the passage of the Senate immigration bill Thursday, Gang of Eight member Sen. Robert Menendez stated on Hardball that Speaker John Boehner should not insist on getting a majority of Republicans in the House to vote for immigration reform legislation.

Menendez maintained that the House “can have its own process,” but then argued that applying the Hastert Rule to this issue would be, frankly, undemocratic. “If you insist on a majority of the majority, as Speaker Boehner has said, that is a minority,” the New Jersey senator explained, and “a minority should not dictate the future of millions of lives of people in this country.”

***

I’m listening to America’s Great Debate, about the Compromise of 1850, and I’m struck by how pedestrian and foolish the Senate has become — not in the substance of the policies debated, which are not comparable between the periods, but in the debate itself. The closing comments on the Schumer-Rubio bill were mostly treacly clichés about the speaker’s parents or grandparents or in-laws, and how their experience is an argument for the Crabhusker Kickback Bill of 2013. And the invocation of the DREAMers was particularly tendentious — what does the experience of someone brought here at the age of 6 months have to do with this monster bill? You want to amnesty people like that? Well, so do I, as part of a wider bill to tighten enforcement. But their constant use as props for those arguing for a mass amnesty is morally dubious, the kind of emotional blackmail we’ve come to expect from the open-borders side (both left and right).

In any case, it’s now the House’s job to allow this bloated, dangerous measure to die on the vine. Unfortunately, the decision about what happens next rests almost entirely on the shoulders of John Boehner.

***

House Republicans are unmoved by the sense of urgency projected by immigration reform advocates. “The bottom line is it’s been since 1986 that there was legislation related to immigration reform. I don’t know what a couple more months is going to hurt,” said Rep. Trey Gowdy, R-S.C., who chairs the House Judiciary Committee’s Immigration Subcommittee…

Immigration-reform advocates are preparing to blame the House Republicans for blocking the Senate’s legislation if they fail to pass an immigration bill that would allow a House-Senate conference committee. If the House doesn’t pass legislation, activists will likely turn their attention to the administration next year, asking for more deferrals of deportation along the lines of last year’s deferred action program for “Dreamers,” unauthorized youth who were brought to the country as kids.

“The irony is that if House Republicans block immigration reform, in hopes of thwarting Obama and getting a bill more to their liking in the future, they will give Obama a chance to go down in history as the great emancipator of Latino immigrants,” said America’s Voice Executive Director Frank Sharry. “A future Democratic Congress and president will be able to pass reform with a path to citizenship without giving nearly as much as they’re prepared to give this year.”

***

What are your thoughts on Corker-Hoeven?

[Paul Ryan:] They’re moving closer to the House position. I haven’t read the full thing so I really don’t know how – it’s a pretty big amendment. I’ve been more focused on what we’re doing over here in the House. But I think it’s good that they’re moving closer to our position, which is, we have to have actual border enforcement.

To me, you can’t leave it up to subjective judgment of the executive branch, you have to have actual metrics that constitute what we believe defines border enforcement and those metrics have to be put in triggers and you also have to have E-Verify triggers. That’s the kind of language that the gang of seven have been negotiating successfully. That’s the kind of language that we’re talking about over here in the House. That’s the kind of language that people like Goodlatte agree with. So that’s where I see common ground and I see the House making a big improvement on this thing.

***

“Where is this national push? Are people rioting in the streets for immigration reform? It’s so odd in a way that it has achieved this level of attention and involvement,” Tancredo said in an interview Wednesday. “I would be hesitant to bring up any bill simply because of what would happen in a conference committee.”

House Speaker Boehner said Thursday that any bill to hit the House floor would need support from a majority of the Republican Conference, both before and after a conference committee. But Tancredo, who made his name in Washington as an anti-illegal immigration crusader, said he didn’t trust Boehner to appoint the right members to the bicameral panel tasked with reconciling the two bills.

“A bill comes from the Senate. It’s lousy. The Republicans go ‘Oh, this is terrible, so we’ll write our own bill.’ And it’ll be a much better bill. It goes to conference and [Boehner] appoints squishy Republicans to the conference committee. The bill comes back looking just like the Senate bill, or something pretty close. A whole bunch of Republicans can drop off at that point, going, ‘Oh, this is terrible.’ But they’ll have enough squishes to join with Dems to pass it,” Tancredo said.

***

The rumors of the demise of Florida Republican Sen. Marco Rubio’s presidential prospects in Iowa as a result of his role in crafting immigration reform are somewhat exaggerated, said Iowa Republican Sen. Chuck Grassley on Thursday…

“It’s pretty hard for me to tell you three years out,” he said, speaking to the press just 40 minutes before the Senate was set to vote on the comprehensive immigration reform bill crafted by the bipartisan Gang of Eight, a group of which Rubio is a part. “It may influence some people right now, but right now is not 2016.”

“And I think people then are going to be looking at how can we win the White House,” he continued. “That’s going to be the most important thing.”

***

***

After U.S. Vice President announces immigration reform has passed the Senate, the gallery cheered “yes we can.”

***

***

Despite Paul’s disappointment in his colleagues in the passing of the bill, he seems to hold no grudge against the big-name Republicans who voted ‘yea,’ such as Florida Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.).

“I think [Rubio’s] well-intentioned and I think he’s trying to do the right thing and so I don’t impute to him ill motives. I think his motives are genuine, he wants to do what a lot of us want to do and that’s fix the illegal immigration problem. I disagree with the final bill, but I think good people can honestly have disagreements,” he said.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Yep. God bless the Court Stenographer.

kingsjester on June 28, 2013 at 7:43 AM

“S’cuse me your honor but did the witness say: “Wazza honkin’ dat horn” or “Datta honky gots horns”?

viking01 on June 28, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Yikes! I didn’t expect that to Bishop thread five.

I remember when Jethro Bodine tried to be the movie or music producer. He should have fit right in.

viking01 on June 28, 2013 at 7:51 AM

I am not sure if think I missed your point, but I was making fun of Rachel Jeantel with her own “retarded” quote, not you!

Are you aware of a worse witness ever? I saw death-threat tweets against Zimmerman’s lawyer because he (justifiably) made such a fool out of her…

Anti-Control

You just don’t get Jeantel.

xblade on June 28, 2013 at 8:05 AM

viking01 on June 28, 2013 at 7:51 AM

I think that was when Ellie Mae was dating Dash Riprock. Oh, those were the days weren’t they? Traditional America vs. Amerika 2.0.

TxAnn56 on June 28, 2013 at 8:13 AM

The whole trial, prosecution and “witnesses” are like something out of Eraserhead and Blue Velvet combined.

The junk-justice & media David Lynching of the Neighborhood Watch guy who dared take action so that he might see another day.

viking01 on June 28, 2013 at 7:17 AM

I typed out my “surreal” comment @7:22 before I read your post here! :)

… or political or financial reward.

viking01 on June 28, 2013 at 7:30 AM

I wouldn’t say that you’re wrong, because you might be right.

In this particular case, however, unlike the Duke lacrosse one, I personally believe fear was the main motivation.

Anti-Control on June 28, 2013 at 8:18 AM

TxAnn56 on June 28, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Every time HotAir’s beloved arnold ziffel shows up I’m reminded of Green Acres from when the big dangers of country life were falling off the telephone pole answering the phone, the perils of Eb, Mr. Haney, Mr. Drysdale and the county agent and whether or not Sam the Grocer, Granny or Misses Hathaway could somehow solve the latest problem.

viking01 on June 28, 2013 at 8:21 AM

After Jeantel’s ‘testimony’ yesterday, the case needs to be thrown out. Of course that’ll never happen, because this is a show trial and there is quite a list on Twitter death threats against Zimmerman as well as threats of ‘gonna kill any whitey’ tweets.

Liam on June 28, 2013 at 8:22 AM

I had a co-driver, late 30s, who grew up in Gainesville. His grandfather raised cattle.

He said his grandfather told him that cattle farmer back in the day were called crackers because they used whips to herd their cattle.

Not the long snaky kind used to inflict pain, the short ones that sounded like a firecracker when popped. You still see them used at livestock auction barns.

It was not a pejorative term back then.

davidk on June 28, 2013 at 7:34 AM

I read about this recently.

What is ridiculous is how the rationalizing defenders of Rachel Jeantel have tried to say that she didn’t mean it negatively…

Anti-Control on June 28, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Anti-Control on June 28, 2013 at 8:18 AM

That or the delusions of the prosecutor could somehow award herself Attorney General or the judge could become the third Obama stooge to accompany the freakish Kagan and Sotomayor.

I recall Thurgood Marshall winning an important case much different from the Saint Trayvon canonization but one wonders should he really have been elevated to the Supreme Court?

viking01 on June 28, 2013 at 8:26 AM

“Back then” their parents were not even a gleam in anybody’s eyes.

I don’t know how much of what my co-driver’s story is valid. He was kind of weird.

I imagine that today in most peoples’ minds, the term cracker conjures thoughts of chains and bullwhips.

And for a 20-something black person to know and use the term referring to a white man, I have no doubt that it is used derogatorily.

davidk on June 28, 2013 at 7:45 AM

I see that I should have read ahead through all of the posts before I posted my last one to you! :)

Anti-Control on June 28, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Anti-Control on June 28, 2013 at 8:24 AM

It doesn’t matter, because she was quoting Martin. This came out because she was asked by the Martin family lawyer during pre-trial interview if she thought this case is racial, to which she said yes. That part of the recording wasn’t provided to the defense team.

If the astronomical term ‘black hole’ is now somehow racist according to one Democrat, then ‘cracker’ has to be even if you’re talking about a Ritz.

Liam on June 28, 2013 at 8:31 AM

You were ok up to the highlighted part. I’ve been posting about metrics for the better part of a week. THERE ARE NONE IN THE BILL OR THE AMENDMENT.

Everything they say about this bill is a lie.

dogsoldier on June 28, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Liam on June 28, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Sharpton tells us that only white people can be racist. Seriously. He actually says that.

dogsoldier on June 28, 2013 at 8:34 AM

@AC, how’s your Javascript? –If you see this. Since I’m apparently stuck with this new, terrible, get-up-in-the-morning, go-to-bed-at-night schedule and get to overlap you a bit.

Axe on June 28, 2013 at 7:46 AM

lol

Are you asking me about how the site has been working for me? I know it was really slow yesterday during the late afternoon. I haven’t seen any problems with posts going to the wrong threads lately.

It didn’t happen to me, but I noticed others mention that their posts were disappearing or were not posting at all…

Anti-Control on June 28, 2013 at 8:35 AM

dogsoldier on June 28, 2013 at 8:34 AM

I’ve been hearing that for decades, not only from him.

Liam on June 28, 2013 at 8:38 AM

viking01 on June 28, 2013 at 8:21 AM

We’ve gone from Petticoat Junction to Dysfunction Junction in the course of 50 years. Or 24 if you’re counting from when Reagan left office.

TxAnn56 on June 28, 2013 at 8:40 AM

dogsoldier on June 28, 2013 at 8:34 AM

I’ve been hearing that for decades, not only from him.

Liam on June 28, 2013 at 8:38 AM

And if you are white ipso facto you are racist.

davidk on June 28, 2013 at 8:47 AM

And if you are white ipso facto you are racist.

davidk on June 28, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Yup! Which is how it’ll be seen if Zimmerman is acquitted, because none of the all-woman jury are black.

Liam on June 28, 2013 at 8:51 AM

It doesn’t matter, because she was quoting Martin.

It still matters, even though I misportrayed who said it.

As you said here:

Liam on June 28, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Under oath, Jeantel said she didn’t view Martin’s comment racially, which those defended her said as well – they are clearly lying & rationalizing..

Anti-Control on June 28, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Anti-Control on June 28, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Good point. I forgot that detail.

All the more reason she’s such a bad witness, the prosecution’s star, that this case needs to be thrown out.

Liam on June 28, 2013 at 8:55 AM

TxAnn56 on June 28, 2013 at 8:40 AM

One of the local nostalgia TV program stations re-runs Petticoat Junction another the Burns & Allen Show and another The Flintstones. It reminds me of the breadth of talent of Bea Benaderet (sp) as the matriarch of the first, the regular sidekick of George Burns and Gracie and the voice or Barney Rubble’s wife and all three shows perfectly inoffensive to all age groups.

Compare that to today’s TV where the cartoons try to peddle Gorebull Warming, the sitcoms are locker room humor or Sarah Jessica Parker peddled as some sort of model in heat.

The comedian Steven Wright reminds us the 1960s weren’t all bad:

“I love The Stones. Gotta watch me some Stones…. Fred…. Barney…”

viking01 on June 28, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Anti-Control on June 28, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Nah. :) I need to appropriate some technology. There’s a tag cloud I want to author from zero so it’s unencumbered — and I mean including any bloody GNU virus — and I just thought I’d toss it out there. Shot in the dark that anyone would have expertise, have time, want it too . . .

I’ll just write it. :) I want to do something a little different anyway.

*takes it back off the table*

Axe on June 28, 2013 at 8:59 AM

You just don’t get Jeantel.

xblade on June 28, 2013 at 8:05 AM

haha

Anti-Control on June 28, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I’ll just write it. :) I want to do something a little different anyway.

*takes it back off the table*

Axe on June 28, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Ok, I see now what you were first asking about me about JS…I have a pretty decent excuse for misunderstanding you, though – my caffeine had not fully kicked in yet! :)

My experience with JS is minimal. I have reversed engineered & altered some Firefox add-ons to my liking, and that’s about it. I’ve never concerned myself much with the programming end of computing. Someday I will go there, but not now…

Anti-Control on June 28, 2013 at 9:08 AM

The Senate’s Gang of 8 has a message for the House: The hopes of millions of illegal immigrants are on your shoulders…

The people have a message for the House: The hopes, dreams and economic survival of millions of American citizens are on your shoulders. Try to represent them, for once.

fight like a girl on June 28, 2013 at 9:23 AM

viking01 on June 28, 2013 at 8:26 AM

I definitely hear what you are saying.

To be clear, what I’ve thought is that the initial push for Zimmerman’s prosecution was mainly due to fear, which a lot of eager opportunists were more than happy to get on board with. As a contrast, I don’t believe fear was the primary motivator of the prosecution of the Duke lacrosse case.

I realize that I may not be correct here…

Anti-Control on June 28, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Anti-Control on June 28, 2013 at 9:24 AM

I have no doubt in my mind that when Barky said that “If [he] had a son he would look like Trayvon” that was a direct attempt at jury-tampering, ghetto mindset polluting, and, er, influencing any judge who might take the case through intimidation by the POSOTUS and our sleazy AG.

viking01 on June 28, 2013 at 9:41 AM

For Axe:

Alfréd Rényi is said to have invented the quote “A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems”. Paul Turán developed the anecdote further by describing weak coffee as fit only for lemmas. [lol]

[Paul] Erdős — who had a lifelong affair with caffeine, and later @mphet@mines — regularly worked 20 hours a day. Into his 70s, Erdős was publishing more papers per year than many good mathematicians publish during their lifetimes. During a short break he had taken from @mphet@mines to prove he wasn’t addicted, Erdős noted a drop in his productivity, and proclaimed that mathematics had been set back a month.

I’m putting this here, Axe, to let you know that I relate to this! :)

I have had an unnaturally low energy level for years, and I know that my IQ definitely drops when I am understimulated. I use caffeine now, which helps me, but not as much as W#llb*trin or Adder@ll did (a combo of those 2 worked wonders!)…I don’t believe my condition is permanent, but it sucks having to wait for it to get resolved.

Anti-Control on June 28, 2013 at 2:11 PM