Open thread: Final Senate vote on Gang of Eight bill set for 4 p.m. ET; Update: Bill passes, 68/32

posted at 3:21 pm on June 27, 2013 by Allahpundit

The final cloture vote was held this morning and passed with 68 yeses, two shy of Schumer’s goal at the start of this process. After three days of pleading with fencesitters and, no doubt, tempting them with earmarks and other legislative kickbacks to bring them on board, they still couldn’t get to 70. The 14 Republicans who voted yes this morning:

I’m laying that down as a marker in case any of them votes no this afternoon in a cheap attempt to convince their constituents that they’re actually against the bill. As for why the Gang didn’t get to 70, why would they at this point? Fencesitters are facing a rising tide of grassroots pressure plus the unwelcome fact that both Boehner and Paul Ryan have insisted the Senate bill won’t even get a vote in the House. (House deputy whip Peter Roskam called it “a pipe dream.”) The whole point of having 70 yeses in the Senate was, in theory, to put pressure on the House to act, but the backlash to Rubio and the bill among conservative media and activists has eliminated that. If you’re Rob Portman, say, what do you gain at this point by voting for a bill that won’t be enacted and that may earn you bitter opposition in a primary? Not to keep picking on Rubio, but this really does boil down to his inability, despite his best attempts, to sell the bill to the right. Even if he couldn’t persuade them to support it, it would have been a huge win for pro-amnesty Republicans if he had managed to temper the intensity of the opposition. That might have gotten the Senate closer to 80 yeses, notwithstanding the bill’s fate in the House, which would have helped the GOP leadership with its PR efforts towards Latino voters. As it is, only a minority of the caucus is supporting it. I don’t blame Rubio for failing at what was probably an impossible task, but he did fail.

By the way, don’t look now but the bill is starting to sound creaky among liberals too. The NYT has a piece out this morning about lefties grumbling that the weak Corker/Hoeven border-security provisions (see this account of Hugh Hewitt’s brutal interview with Hoeven to understand how weak) are nonetheless too strong for their liking. Meanwhile, at TNR, T.A. Frank makes the Kaus-ian case that the bill will be a disaster for the working class:

All in all, I became convinced that high levels of low-skill immigration are good for wealthy Americans and bad for poor Americans. Far more important, high levels of illegal immigration—when you start to get into the millions, as we have—undermines unions and labor standards, lowers wages, heightens social tensions, strains state budgets, widens income inequality, subverts the rule of law, and exacerbates class divides. The effects go far beyond wages, because few undocumented workers earn enough to cover anything close to the cost of government services (such as education for their children) they require, and those services are most important to low-income Americans. In short, it’s an immense blow to America’s working class and poor.

Most labor unions support the current legislation, of course, but few of them seem to acknowledge the possibility of a mass influx of a future illegal workforce. In part, that’s because the SEIU and many other unions have thousands of undocumented members, and raising a fuss about enforcement or opposing the current bill would alienate their own members. It’s probably also that they believe, unrealistically, that the bill would be effective at controlling the border in the future.

And a lot of Democrats have also convinced themselves that even if there’s a wage loss to low-skilled workers, the massive new voting bloc of mostly left-leaning immigrants will ultimately help the little guy. But if millions of new Democratic voters oppose strict immigration control, then there will no Democratic support for meaningful immigration control. And generous social benefits cannot coexist with an open border. (Nor can a more egalitarian society.)

One of the things that helped kill McCain’s last amnesty effort a few years ago was this same objection being championed by Democrats like Byron Dorgan. If House Democrats start to peel off because of it on top of the fact that some will peel off in objection to the border measures proposed by the GOP House majority, then reform is almost certainly dead.

While we wait for the vote, enjoy Patty Murray admitting that she doesn’t know precisely how many DUIs an illegal would be allowed to rack up before he’s disqualified from amnesty under the Gang of Eight bill. A few days ago, no fewer than five Democrats in favor of the bill admitted they weren’t sure if it creates an incentive under ObamaCare for employers to hire illegals over citizens. Has anyone in the Senate thought about this bill in any detail at all? Should we maybe have held some hearings and delayed the cloture vote before rushing this travesty over to the House?

Update: I mentioned a few days ago about how grumpy McCain had gotten with Deb Fischer over her opposition to the bill, but I didn’t see the video until last night. Here you go. Apparently, if you haven’t physically visited the border recently, your concerns about the Gang’s security provisions are stupid.

Update: Tim Mak asks a good question. Isn’t Republican leadership supposed to be, at a minimum, agnostic about the Gang’s bill as part of their outreach to Latinos? Here’s NRSC spokesman Brad Dayspring:

“It’s just another sign that even vulnerable [pro-amnesty] Democrats like Landrieu, Begich, Hagan and Pryor are more loyal to Chuck Schumer and Barack Obama than they are to middle-class men and women struggling in their home states.”

The problem: What about Republicans supporting the immigration bill? Couldn’t that same criticism — that a yes vote demonstrates an allegiance to national party leaders over constituents — be extended to GOP senators who support ongoing immigration reform efforts, especially in states where public opinion is mixed on the issue?

Schumer’s been know to refer to pro-amnesty GOP senators as “our Republicans.” I understand that politics is a cynical game, but bashing red-state Democrats for selling out on the border while backslapping the Rubios of the world for their outreach is really something. How do you reconcile them? Quote:

Republican strategists say their party needs to improve its performance among Hispanic voters, the fastest growing major electoral bloc, to remain competitive in future elections.

But they view Hispanic voters as more important in the 2016 presidential election than the 2014 midterm elections, which will have lower turnout.

So the party stays officially anti-amnesty for three more years, then makes a hard pro-amnesty pivot for the presidential campaign? I can’t imagine that backfiring with anyone, except for … everyone.

Update: The deed is done: 68 yes votes, same as in this morning’s cloture vote. No roll yet but I see on Twitter that 14 Republicans voted yes, the same number that voted yes this morning. Presumably it’s the same 14. It’s a small relief that none of the Republicans in favor stooped to ye olde yes-on-cloture-no-on-the-final-bill game. And in the end, they still couldn’t get to 70.

Here’s something lofty to carry you into the evening from the Republican Party’s new best friend:

“In choosing this country, whether it’s my friend Marco Rubio’s parents from Cuba or my parents and great-grandparents who fled persecution from Europe, immigrants bring an appreciation for the choices and opportunities that are unique to America,” Schumer said. “Immigrants have been an essential component to our American success story. To reject this basic truth in this vote today would be a direct rebuke to the lady who shines so brightly in New York’s harbor.”

Update: Actually, let me leave you with this instead. Oof.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

bluefox on June 27, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Thanks for that, bluefox. You’re right – kill the bill it is. The two Senators from Alabama voted against the Senate version, but I have no idea what will happen in the House. I think we all have to make a lot more noise, because it seems the only noise that any of them are hearing is the noise from the illegal aliens.

MustLoveBlogs on June 27, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Boehner just had a secret meeting with B.O. on 6/25, I believe that was the date.

bluefox on June 27, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Correct…the meeting was with…

John Boehner, Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, Mitch McConnell, along with Crazy Joe.

Along with Obama that is the entire leadership of the country in one room. And people wonder why the country is so screwed up. Makes me misty eyed for the days of Clinton and Newt meetings….despite their many faults at least they had some brain cells that functioned.

William Eaton on June 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM

BTW, did ya’ll hear about the squishy Republican Hispanic senate candidate in Massachusetts who was all in for amnesty and more who lost in a heavy Hispanic district to an old white man by 40 points, and lost the Hispanic vote and the white vote overall, lol?

Winning!

xblade on June 27, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Umm.. Yeah, I’m shocked that a Republican would lose in MA, especially since there is no Obamacare to fire people up.

Also, I’m so glad that people here don’t want to win a national election.. as in ever. Republicans need to start attracting non-white voters.

Illinidiva on June 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Also how does Lindsay Graham keep getting elected in South Carolina?

What a strange state…always has been historically as well.

William Eaton on June 27, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Richard Cash has announced that he is running against Lindsey Graham in the 2014 Republican Senate Primary in South Carolina.

Learn more about Richard Cash at his campaign website:

If you like what you see, please help to spread the word about Richard Cash’s campaign.

A really easy way for you to visibly show your gratitude for Richard Cash being willing to run against Lindsey Graham is to follow him on Twitter or Like him on Facebook.

wren on June 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM

It’s time for the ENTIRE political ruling class to be replaced! This includes all of the government workers who take are tax dollars and abuse our freedoms and liberty. The middle class common man needs to rise up and become in involved. Get your head out of your big screen or your IPad and wake up to what is being done to you. The time for solutions is now!

Rockshine on June 27, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I don’t know why any illegal immigrant would be cheering for passage of this bill.

Once they are granted amnesty, their employers will be required to pay legal wages and federal taxes.

Which means, within six months, they will be replaced in their jobs by….illegal immigrants.

;)

MichaelGabriel on June 27, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Schumer’s real goal was to get over 70. That being said I cannot stress enough how getting to 32 was an incredible feat. The volume of outrage was way over the the 2007 level. They got a new switchboard after 2007 and while it didn’t crash, it came close. It was that same volume of outrage that brought over 17 more Rs after the first vote. Believe me when I say there were some that we thought were ungettable. Depriving Schumer’s of his 70 puts the House on notice and takes the pressure off. Had he gotten the 75 or 80 this would be on the fast track in the House. But it’s not and before the body is even cold, the plan for the next 3 weeks and beyond is already started. I’ve been involved with NUSA and other groups since my brother was killed by a drunk illegal 10 years ago. I know the country is unraveling but this is the line in the sand for me. Thank you to everyone who made the calls and we owe a huge debt to Sen Sessions, Cruz and Vitter who went above and beyond. Send them an email if you can to thank them.

TxAnn56 on June 27, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Republicans need to start attracting non-white voters.

Illinidiva on June 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Damn straight, because they aren’t going to have any white voters left, at all. My last GOP vote was cast in 2012. I’m done with these cowards and traitors. They’ll have to get by with their new illegal buddies and dipsh!ts like yourself. I wish you all the quick and definitive political suicide that you so clearly desire. Good riddance.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 27, 2013 at 5:19 PM

CoffeeLover on June 27, 2013 at 4:22 PM

One side is saying, “Marco!”

And, the other side is replying, “Pólo! Tonto!”

Fallon on June 27, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Hey Fallon!! That is too funny:-) Let’s re-name the ones that voted yes today!!

bluefox on June 27, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Illinidiva on June 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM

SLFKHSE:LK wa;hftlmawep;ah.

I just made more sense than you.

steebo77 on June 27, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Go ahead and make Rubio your candidate in 2016, GOP. Go ahead and do that. But make real sure that he gets all those “Latino votes”” he thinks he just bought via this malfeasance. Because he will never, ever get mine. And I have to say, it isn’t just the amnesty-with-no-border-security bill he wants to shove down Americans’ throats. It’s that he’s a liar. A dirty, filthy, corrupt, shameless, rudderless, typical politician lying sack of shit. I’m done voting for those kind of fellas. Won’t do it ever again. Not ever again. And let me tell you something else, GOP. It is liberating to feel that way. YOUR corruption. YOUR spineless pandering. YOUR backroom bullshit has liberated me from believing I HAD to support the guy who wasn’t the democrat. I don’t have to anymore. And I won’t. In fact, it would make me happy if Rubio got your coronation. I won’t have a dog in the race. I can just watch and laugh. Which I will. That’ll be liberating, too. So have a nice day, GOP.

Sí Se Puede…indeed!

Rational Thought on June 27, 2013 at 5:21 PM

I offered her a rain poncho because it was raining and she had no coat, and when I said poncho, she went off.
Very interesting. P.S. It really was a poncho, said it right on the label.

MontanaMmmm on June 27, 2013 at 4:54 PM

You and Fallon are cracking me up!!

bluefox on June 27, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Illinidiva on June 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Perfect example of a low information voter who buys Tokyo Rove’s propaganda!

Come down to the Cuban part of Miami and see the Screwbio bumper stickers. LOL!

Jayrae on June 27, 2013 at 5:22 PM

MichaelGabriel on June 27, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Because they have this mania to change America into Mexico, despite the fact they risked so much to get out of Mexico.

They also think they’ll be able to stick it to white people, and they’re correct in that aspect.

Rebar on June 27, 2013 at 5:22 PM

We all need to start convincing our Democrat friends and family to call their House Reps. if they don’t want ILLEGAL aliens to be granted Amnesty or a path to citizenship.

I had dinner with a Democrat friend last week. He was completely against Amnesty, but he was sure that the House would stop the bill so he didn’t need to call his Senator or Congressperson.

He was convinced that “those crazy Tea Party people” would prevent John Boehner from passing an Immigration Reform bill.

Democrat House Reps. need to hear from Democrat Voters, if they want to prevent AMNESTY for ILLEGAL aliens.

wren on June 27, 2013 at 5:23 PM

;)

MichaelGabriel on June 27, 2013 at 5:16 PM

This is some funny shite :)

jimver on June 27, 2013 at 5:24 PM

;)

MichaelGabriel on June 27, 2013 at 5:16 PM

You missed one thing however…they don’t get Obamacare so that it is cheaper to hire new “pathway legals” over native born Americans and legal immigrants that did not get the pathway.

And now you see why I think conservatives need to rethink this cozy relationship we have with big business and wall street. Being pro-free market capitalism is not the same as just blinding siding with big business (as we have done in the past).

William Eaton on June 27, 2013 at 5:24 PM

bluefox on June 27, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Yes, my two Senators voted no now, but they voted for cloture, they knew that it would pass and they would have cover.

They are scum. I am going to do everything to get rid of them.

Barred on June 27, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Illinidiva on June 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ You missed it more than Michael Bay missed the mark
When he made Pearl Harbor
You missed it just like that movie missed the point
And that’s an awful lot girl
And now, now you’ve gone cray-cray
And all I’m trying to say is
That candidate sucked (not sung but think about it, a squishy Hispanic Republican candidate “lost in a heavy Hispanic district to an old white [Democrat} man by 40 points”),
and you missed it. ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬

(Apologies Team America.)

Fallon on June 27, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Oh, shoot. I just saw what our Democrat Republican Leader Schumer said. I feel so bad. I thought the United States did allow immigration. Does he mean, if this bill isn’t passed, everyone came here illegally since 17-Whenever?

Should I deport myself? And do I go to Austria or Scotland (ancestry of my parents)? I’m very confused. I did not know this was a vote for or against immigration. I’m thinking Scotland so I only have to learn a dialect, not a whole new language.

[sarc intentional]

IndieDogg on June 27, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Sen. Cruz Statement on Gang of Eight Bill Vote

Unfortunately, all of the concerns that have been repeatedly raised about this bill remain: it repeats the mistakes of the 1986 immigration bill; it grants amnesty first; it won’t secure the border; and it doesn’t fix our broken legal immigration system.

This bill doesn’t solve the problem because the process it went through was fatally flawed– it was written behind closed doors with special interests; in the Judiciary Committee, the Gang of 8 and Democrats blocked all substantive amendments because of a previously cooked deal; and on the Senate floor, the majority blocked any attempts to fix the bill.

Further, in conjunction with Obamacare, the Gang of 8 bill creates a tax penalty on employers – effectively, up to $5,000 – for hiring U.S. citizens or legal immigrants. But that penalty does not apply to those with RPI status, giving a powerful incentive for job creators to hire illegal immigrants instead of U.S. citizens or legal immigrants. That is indefensible. I filed an amendment to fix this defect, but was blocked by Senate Democrats from receiving a vote on that solution.

Sadly, this bill won’t fix the problem with our immigration system and will only encourage more illegal immigration and human suffering.

I strongly support commonsense immigration reform that secures the border before legalization, fixes our legal immigration system, and upholds the rule of law. This bill isn’t it.

INC on June 27, 2013 at 5:28 PM

In the spirit of the Everly Brothers ‘Cathy’s Clown’ as pertains to Marco the Knife.

There he goes
He’s Chucky’s Clown
He’s Chucky.s Clown
He’s Chucky’s Clown

MaiDee on June 27, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Illinidiva on June 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM

The thing is, love it or hate it, this amnesty will happen anyways, sooner or later…wait until the Dems gets majority in both senate and house and they will pass it, and on their terms, which will be far worse…it’s really just a matter of a few years, if, say, the bill will be halted at this time…

jimver on June 27, 2013 at 5:28 PM

O/T Sarah Palin on Hannity TV tonight:-)

bluefox on June 27, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Every Republican who voted for this bill, whether it was the final or a cloture vote, needs to be punished at the polls. THAT is how you save the GOP… you clean house of the liars and panderers.

Right now, we’ve only got 15 to remove from our ranks, an unpleasant job, but do-able. If Boehner allows this anywhere near the House, it would mean a permanent split of the party itself. This is a defining issue. To allow a slow-motion invasion, no… to ABET a slow-motion invasion of our nation means that these 15 can’t be trusted with the very basics of national security.

Murf76 on June 27, 2013 at 5:31 PM

wren on June 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Go Richard Cash…I have not researched him yet, but I cannot conceive that he could be as bad as Lindsay Graham. It is not just Lindsay’s constant lying to and selling conservatives out, but he just says stupid stuff that makes Republicans look like a bunch of control freaks, like his statement that he would always vote for security over freedom…which along with John McCain declaring America a battleground is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard a republican say.

William Eaton on June 27, 2013 at 5:35 PM

John Boehner, Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, Mitch McConnell, along with Crazy Joe.

William Eaton on June 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Great point, that’s why I always found the Obama-hate reflex that republicans/conservatives had since 2008 was always as denial mechanism. Conservatives CHOSE to believe their side as being better or different….libs think the same. There is no difference between the 2 parties. Policy or Values alike..think about it.

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on June 27, 2013 at 5:36 PM

That’s a good point, which calls for a little math.

Let’s say you employ an illegal that’ been amnestied. Assume you now have to pay them to $2 an hour more to comply with minimum wage requirements. That comes out to about $4000 more a year in additional wages.

It’s still cheaper to hire an illegal illegal over an amnesty illegal.

MichaelGabriel on June 27, 2013 at 5:37 PM

You stinkin’ Anglos stole this land from Hispanics who were here first so it is only right to give it back.

IlikedAUH2O on June 27, 2013 at 5:40 PM

MichaelGabriel on June 27, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I don’t think they want to come out of the “shadows”.
Why would they want to start paying payroll tax, instead of getting the peso’s under the table.

I don’t see the incentive.

MontanaMmmm on June 27, 2013 at 5:41 PM

That’s a good point, which calls for a little math.

It’s still cheaper to hire an illegal illegal over an amnesty illegal.

MichaelGabriel on June 27, 2013 at 5:37 PM

True, so I guess the new formula is thus:

new illegals > pathway illegals > native born American / non-pathway illegal

The old formula was…

illegals > native born Americans / non-pathway illegals

So basically the Senate made it more complicated. What a surprise!

William Eaton on June 27, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Correction above….”non-pathway legals” instead of “non-pathway illegals” but heck give congress enough time and I am sure they will create that status as well.

William Eaton on June 27, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Murf76 on June 27, 2013 at 5:31 PM

It won’t be slow motion. And this will pass in the house. Ryan and Boehner will change a few things here and there and say they did what they could, but it will be the same, lock stock and barrel. And it will happen within weeks.

Open the border wide. Completely open. We are ready for you. Bring a few million to Albuquerque, to Phoenix, the LA each. Chicago can house a couple million. Etc.

Let’s change the name to Estados Unidos de Detroit del Sur.

oldroy on June 27, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Illinidiva on June 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM

When Bolsheviks have to pay their own bills..

The main difference between your average Massachusetts voter and the Russian Soviets is that the Soviets didn’t have the market position and active state support of huge educational factories with a feeding tube to suck the money out of the western world.

IlikedAUH2O on June 27, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Illinidiva on June 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Because Republican pandering works every time. Color me surprised if you can walk and chew gum at the same time.

RickB on June 27, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Off to the library now to pick up a few Rick Bayless books. I need to be able to prepare an authentic mole and other authentic essentials so I can make people feel welcome. Mi pais es su pais – literally.

oldroy on June 27, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Did Paul Ryan call Univision to tell them not to call this Amnesty?

oldroy on June 27, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Another point about illegal illegals vs. amnesty illegals:

If an amnesty illegal is being exploited/abused by their employer, they can report the abuse, without fear of deportation.

For this reason any employer that is prone to hire illegals is going to prefer to hire the illegal illegals.

Same as it ever was…

MichaelGabriel on June 27, 2013 at 5:56 PM

wren on June 27, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I agree. I saw a group of Black Conservatives on Hannity about a week ago and they get it. IIRC, there were about 5 Tea Party reps there. They were pointing out their issues and possible solutions.

bluefox on June 27, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Can anyone help me out with Drudge’s headline?

“la mera mera votacion”? The best vocation?

oryguncon on June 27, 2013 at 6:00 PM

So you want the Republicans to become more like the Democrats and simply promise everyone whatever they want? You want them to be all things to all people? So when there’s no difference between the parties on a philosophical level, that leaves only….who wants to pay more for the votes. Good plan.

ScottiesRule on June 27, 2013 at 6:02 PM

bluefox on June 27, 2013 at 5:17 PM

They are scum. I am going to do everything to get rid of them.

Barred on June 27, 2013 at 5:25 PM

That trick is getting old. It’s easy to vote no when it doesn’t count. That’s what Cornyn & McConnell did among others. I hope they both lose their seats. And the other turncoats.

bluefox on June 27, 2013 at 6:03 PM

I can see a new wave of ubiquitous lawyer commercials on television:

“Have you recently been granted amnesty? If so, you may be entitled to a settlement against your employer. If you feel that you have been treated poorly or paid substandard wages, contact the law offices of Crook & Cheatem for advise on your legal right to reparations.”

A new legal cottage industry is born.

MichaelGabriel on June 27, 2013 at 6:06 PM

ICE union president Chris Crane

One of the main points made by you(Rubio publicly is that Gang of Eight legislation will stop what you refer to as “de facto amnesty.” Millions of dollars have been spent on television advertisements which feature you and call on Americans to support your bill to end the nation’s practice of de facto amnesty. Yet your bill does nothing to end de facto amnesty, and only guarantees that it will continue.

De facto amnesty is a failure to enforce the nation’s immigration laws on the interior of the United States. It is not a border issue. It cannot and will not end as a result of increased border security. It must be resolved through increased interior enforcement.

40% of all illegal immigrants currently in the United States did not illegally cross the border, but instead entered legally with a visa and didn’t leave when it expired.

Mormontheman on June 27, 2013 at 6:07 PM

“Not just because I believe in immigrants, but because I believe in America even more”. Marc the Knife

How about the bribes, sweetheart deals and kickbacks?

1 Schumer squeezed 9 of 13 amendments into this bill. Don’t know what they are yet since I don’t have a copy–but anything Schumer amends is generally not good for America.
2 Kirk Concession-amendment on immigration to get the Republican Illinois Senator’s vote.
3 Lobster Bait–special seashore deal for Maine’s vote.
4 Salmon Sweetener deal in Alaska (for Murkowski-a snake like Rubio)
5 1.5 billion for youth training in Vermont–to get Bernie Sanders vote.
6 Casino cronyism deal in Nevada.
7 Special concession for artists. visas in Vt.–to bribe Pat Leahy (who did not need the bribe to vote for the bill.)

Since there are about 1200 pages–goodness knows what else is in this bribe laden monstrosity–it’s Obamacare all over again.-

MaiDee on June 27, 2013 at 6:10 PM

jimver on June 27, 2013 at 5:28 PM

It’s a given that Dems will control everything if this bill actually goes through. It might take a few years, but it will happen as soon as the illegals can vote…and they bring their mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, etc. to the US. And anyone under the impression that the illegals will wait 13 years is a fool. As soon as they have legal status, some gifted progressive lawyer will take this to the SCOTUS. The way Roberts and Kennedy have been voting, I’d say the Dems won’t have to wait until they can swing the court to the left to have the illegals promoted to normal permanent resident status…which means citizenship won’t take 13 years. And if Obama or Hillary (yes, the media will make sure she wins) get to replace Scalia, Thomas or Alito…it’s a done deal.

ScottiesRule on June 27, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I can name two Republicans that will NEVER get a vote from me if they run for President: Chris Christie and Marco Rubio. When I find out who the other 13 crossing the line and voting to make illegal actions by those stomping over our borders they will also be added to the list.

katablog.com on June 27, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Today is another reminder of what a liar Orrin Hatch is.

njrob on June 27, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Illinidiva on June 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM

You got some nerve telling us something we already know.

loveofcountry on June 27, 2013 at 6:14 PM

INC on June 27, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Thanks INC for posting the statement by Ted Cruz.

What a tragedy. I don’t call any Senator voting for this or voting for cloture an American anymore. They are the illegal aliens imo.

bluefox on June 27, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Does anyone really think there is any difference between the two parties.

If you do may I add this. Read it and weep.

Bunch of smary as# pukes.

MontanaMmmm on June 27, 2013 at 6:24 PM

If it’s really DOA then why all the outrage? I’m as conservative as they come but I agree with Rubio on this issue. The hysterical hyperbole and vitriol directed at Rubio on this makes me very uncomfortable.

eaglephin on June 27, 2013 at 6:25 PM

eaglephin on June 27, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Maybe you should read the bill.

MontanaMmmm on June 27, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Si se puede
cmsinaz on June 27, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Ir chupar su pene.

Nutstuyu on June 27, 2013 at 6:33 PM

eaglephin on June 27, 2013 at 6:25 PM

That makes you more uncomfortable than his status as a lying & pandering politician? LOL you are pitiful…

Anti-Control on June 27, 2013 at 6:37 PM

They are scum. I am going to do everything to get rid of them.

Barred on June 27, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Everything??? Tree, meet “watering can”.

Nutstuyu on June 27, 2013 at 6:37 PM

eaglephin on June 27, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never harm–oh wait–according to eaglephlem, words are the WORSTESTEST BADDEST THINGS EVER.

Pathetic.

Nutstuyu on June 27, 2013 at 6:39 PM

So, 14 Republicans just voted to end the Republican Party. Terrific.

NOMOBO on June 27, 2013 at 4:26 PM

The wife and I will give ‘em some help and end our membership in the GOP.

hawkeye54 on June 27, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Whne Rubio and any of the rEEpublican backstabbers ask you for money, send them these C-notes instead.

LegendHasIt on June 27, 2013 at 6:46 PM

katablog.com on June 27, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Here you go: http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=113&session=1&vote=00168

bluefox on June 27, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Hoeven (R-ND)
Kirk (R-IL)
McCain (R-AZ)
Murkowski (R-AK)
Rubio (R-FL)

Bmore on June 27, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Everything Hoeven said in that interview is a lie. They don’t require ANYTHING for border security that Incompetano cannot reject.

There are no milestones, metrics, testing or implementation guidelines for any of the pages and pages of Christmas list.

Nada. and oh by the way did I mention that Incompetano can ignore the whole thing?

Ayotte is going to follow Scott Browne. She just pee’d all over the folks that voted for her.

dogsoldier on June 27, 2013 at 7:18 PM

LegendHasIt on June 27, 2013 at 7:13 PM

%k is high, but yeah it’s true. We were talking about it yesterday.

dogsoldier on June 27, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Gah! 5K not %k

dogsoldier on June 27, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Anti-Control on June 27, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Yeah, Rubio deserves the harshest rebuke. Vulgarity even.

dogsoldier on June 27, 2013 at 7:22 PM

…..We were talking about it yesterday.
dogsoldier on June 27, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Day late and many dollars short, am I. :-(

LegendHasIt on June 27, 2013 at 7:27 PM

MontanaMmmm on June 27, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Well she did serve her President and did travel a lot. I’m sure Jebbie just wants to show his appreciation and it’s almost the same as giving the President an award. Guess Jebbie doesn’t have one for him yet. Maybe in 2016.

bluefox on June 27, 2013 at 7:36 PM

eaglephin on June 27, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Is that you Rube?

bluefox on June 27, 2013 at 7:37 PM

LegendHasIt on June 27, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Those are awesome!! Thanks for posting that. Great idea!!!

bluefox on June 27, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Hoeven (R-ND)
Kirk (R-IL)
McCain (R-AZ)
Murkowski (R-AK)
Rubio (R-FL)

Bmore on June 27, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Hmmm… let’s see who’s up for re-election in 2014. And our first contestants are:
Alexander

Rubio

2018:
Corker
Flake
Hatch (retiring)
Heller
Wicker (Monday’s cloture vote)

We’ll just have to take Chiesa’s vote out on Chris Christie, who sent him there.

Murf76 on June 27, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Still don’t see the point. There’s a Ted Cruz in every state – we just need to find him or her.

crrr6 on June 27, 2013 at 4:05 PM

EVERY state? You sure about that? I live in NY.

redlucy on June 27, 2013 at 7:45 PM

a lot of the R party is just too lazy and entitled to actually do much thinking…or certainly standing up for anything

from wikipedia

The Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act (CIRA, S. 2611) was a United States Senate bill introduced in the 109th Congress (2005–2006) by Sen. Arlen Specter [PA] on April 7, 2006. Co-sponsors, who signed on the same day, were Sen. Hagel [NE], Sen. Martinez [FL], Sen. McCain [AZ], Sen. Kennedy [MA], Sen. Graham [SC], and Sen. Brownback [KS].

that passed the senate, but the house/senate could not come together so the bill eventually died.

this is from the former CBO person under W. It is a remarkably weak article, mostly assertions about how great immigrants are for the economy. He doesn’t even factor in obamacare.

a big part of the argument is to placate people by saying the various ponzi schemes that we have going need more suckers…to chip in. Boy that’s a nice moral argument.

the comments are not favorable.

r keller on June 27, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Those are awesome!! Thanks for posting that. Great idea!!!
bluefox on June 27, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Thanks. I did those and a few others, back during the 2007 Bush-McCain Amnesty try, and figured I’d resurrect them. Can’t find the others though.

I know the politicians back then got thousands of them. They even got slashdotted and cost me a big extra charge on my server bandwidth due to the number of downloads.

LegendHasIt on June 27, 2013 at 8:05 PM

… so the war has begun; they declared it. Now what?

Midas on June 27, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Bmore on June 27, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Thanks Bmore. I have so many lists that I need a secretary:-) Glad I stocked up on copy paper and ink!

You know I think that list you posted is almost identical to the 16 R turncoats that voted for cloture on the gun control bill.They really do need voted out.

The HA poster wren has a list on this thread of all Senators up for re-election. wren on June 27, 2013 at 3:44 PM

bluefox on June 27, 2013 at 8:19 PM

bluefox on June 27, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Illegal aliens? No. They are traitors, nothing less.

Midas on June 27, 2013 at 8:19 PM

bluefox on June 27, 2013 at 5:03 PM

MustLoveBlogs on June 27, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Was out for dinner:-) I agree we need to make a lot of noise.

One thing additional that I learned about the Conference & Reconciliation if the House would pass ANY Immigration related bill and that is Reid gets to select the members of the Conference Committee and Boehner gets to also. I didn’t know that. You can imagine how stacked that would be!! How many members each select, I don’t know but if it got that far, we lose anyway.

bluefox on June 27, 2013 at 8:28 PM

bluefox on June 27, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Correct…the meeting was with…

John Boehner, Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, Mitch McConnell, along with Crazy Joe.

William Eaton on June 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Thank you for confirming the date and the ones he met with. I’m sure that was so they all will be on the same page on the bill for the House. I heard that the reason Boehner keeps saying he won’t bring up the Senate bill that just passed today is because the House R’s would revolt and he wouldn’t be Speaker. Let’s hope they do the same if ANYTHING Boehner/Ryan etal bring results in the same response!!

bluefox on June 27, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Also how does Lindsay Graham keep getting elected in South Carolina?

What a strange state…always has been historically as well.

William Eaton on June 27, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Oh, hello again:-) Just wanted to say Lindsay is in a Dem district.
Make sense? The Dems love him and have good reason, LOL

I’m glad wren told you about Richard Cash’s campaign too!

bluefox on June 27, 2013 at 8:42 PM

The time for solutions is now!

Rockshine on June 27, 2013 at 5:14 PM

We’re a few years behind, but better late than never.

We must defeat anything the House brings.

bluefox on June 27, 2013 at 8:44 PM

TxAnn56 on June 27, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I’m glad to hear the report of the volume of calls/fax/emails and outrage. I agree those Senators were such a great help in taking the time to read that monster of a bill and then explaining it online and radio. Senator Grassley also, who by the way is having
11 Town Halls in IA. No details on where and when yet.

Will give them a kudos, which I normally try to do.

We had a lot of great Amendments, but voted down as usual.

On to defeat whatever Boehner etal have in mind.

Hope you have a nice relaxing weekend!!

bluefox on June 27, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Mormontheman on June 27, 2013 at 6:07 PM

I didn’t know that. Thanks.

bluefox on June 27, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Sarah is on Hannity TV 9PM EDT

bluefox on June 27, 2013 at 9:00 PM

…..We were talking about it yesterday.
dogsoldier on June 27, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Day late and many dollars short, am I. :-(

LegendHasIt on June 27, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Don’t worry about that. Just because some here had seen that, maybe others have not, so post whatever you like. Many threads here and all info isn’t on just one thread. We share and so should you:-)

bluefox on June 27, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Those are awesome!! Thanks for posting that. Great idea!!!
bluefox on June 27, 2013 at 7:40 PM

LegendHasIt on June 27, 2013 at 8:05 PM

I wish I had seen them back in 2007. Too bad you got charged more, but I can understand why. Just do it this way now. They are very good and I used my zoom to read the smaller print and it worked nicely. Great detail too, I love them:-)

I do selective faxing to the critters, so may I use a few? Also, perhaps in a hand written letter to my U.S. House Reps, but I’d mail them to their State offices, not D.C.

bluefox on June 27, 2013 at 9:31 PM

wren on June 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I presume there may be several conservatives opposing “Miss Lucy” in the primary next year. My suggestion is that conservatives “carpet bomb” Miss Lucy (Romney style) to make certain he doesn’t receive 50% of the vote forcing a run-off. Then we all support whomever his run-off opponent is.

bw222 on June 27, 2013 at 9:32 PM

They print out very realistically with a halfway decent inkjet printer. I used to scatter them around here and there, and watch as people got really excited at the ‘free money’ they found.

Then when they looked closer. they would either laugh or get in a fury, depending on their politics or national origin.

Oversized just enough to make them not fall afoul of the counterfeiting laws.

so may I use a few

All you want.
I have ‘unlimited’ bandwidth now :-)

LegendHasIt on June 27, 2013 at 9:39 PM

so the war has begun; they declared it. Now what?

Midas on June 27, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Now we organize to battle the House. Check some of the comments on this thread. Use the Edit to find wren, bluefox, INC, TxAnn56, Bmore for starters. Then many other comments are informative and will give you ideas.

There are lists here you’ll need. Also, you’ll need this site:

http://www.congressmerge.com which has each State, just click on it for info.

If there is anything else you need for battle, let any of us know.

bluefox on June 27, 2013 at 9:45 PM

bluefox on June 27, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Illegal aliens? No. They are traitors, nothing less.

Midas on June 27, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Oh, they are that also. Just a play on words:-)

bluefox on June 27, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Most still depending on elections to fix things. Get a clue people elections won’t do it any more. The country is finished.

bgibbs1000 on June 27, 2013 at 10:20 PM

All you want.
I have ‘unlimited’ bandwidth now :-)

LegendHasIt on June 27, 2013 at 9:39 PM

I won’t be downloading any, just will copy and print a couple.
They will get attention I’m sure:-)

Thank you. Will let you know what response I get:-)

bluefox on June 27, 2013 at 10:26 PM

bgibbs1000 on June 27, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Yeah, kind of quaint to see people wanting to fix the broken/rigged system by… using the broken/rigged system – and actually seem to be thinking that it could possibly work. Because that’s been working so well for the last… how many elections?

Pfft.

Midas on June 27, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Re you happy now Utah? Hatch is a RINO pig!

redware on June 29, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Dead to me. Rubio is dead to me.

RedNewEnglander on June 30, 2013 at 9:16 PM