Poll: Near-majority of Republicans say they’re less likely to vote for incumbents who support path to citizenship

posted at 11:21 am on June 25, 2013 by Allahpundit

This’ll help concentrate the minds of House Republicans as they get down to business on immigration reform. Should we be worried, though, that the drumbeat of emphasis on the “path to citizenship,” i.e. the second stage of legalization, is leading Republican voters to ignore the more important first stage, i.e. initial probationary legalization? I was a little alarmed when some righties claimed that Rubio was telling English-language and Spanish-language audiences different things when he said on Univision a few weeks ago that legalization would come before border security. Er, he’s been saying that since day one; the initial probationary legalization has always, always, always been slated to come first in the Gang of Eight bill and Rubio has never claimed otherwise. It’s the second stage, in which illegals would get to apply for green cards, that comes after the border is tightened. But who cares about the second stage if they’ve already been granted some legal status? They’ll end up on the path to citizenship sooner or later through political pressure, no matter what’s happening on the border. That’s what makes the Gang’s bill unacceptable. No meaningful triggers. Don’t take your eye off of that ball or else the House might try to slip probationary legalization through too.

But I digress. Let’s not look a gift horse of good news in the mouth:

nj

Among whites generally, education levels are a divide. Forty-five percent of those without a college degree, who have the most to lose from a new supply of low-skilled labor, say they’re less likely to vote for someone who backs a path to citizenship versus just 15 percent who say they’d be more likely. For whites with a degree, the split is nearly even: 30 percent say more likely, 33 percent say less. Who’s going to break it to blue-collar opponents of the bill that, between more visas for guest workers and probationary legalization for the ones who are already here, the path to citizenship won’t affect whether they end up facing lots more competition for jobs?

Another tidbit, just to make sure Republicans in purple districts are thinking hard about this too:

Independents side with Republicans on the question, although with less fervency. Thirty-five percent of them said they will be less likely to back a lawmaker who supports comprehensive immigration reform, while only 19 percent said it would make them more likely to support the incumbent. Still, a plurality, 44 percent, said the issue won’t weigh on their decision during next year’s midterms.

The relative lack of interest from Democrats, combined with the GOP-leaning position among independents, creates further disincentive for Republicans, who are unlikely to find much general-election reward for their vote if they survive a primary.

Raul Labrador said months ago that the House won’t vote for a path to citizenship for illegals, but all he meant by that, I think, was that they won’t create a new (“special”) path by statute as part of immigration reform. Illegals won’t be barred from eventually seeking green cards and citizenship through currently existing channels. Whether in practice that amounts to something better or worse than the path created by the Gang’s bill remains to be seen, but there’s no option on the table here realistically by which illegals will be barred forever from becoming citizens. That will start Democrats screaming about “second-class citizenship” for America’s newly legalized immigrant underclass, and the GOP will wilt. Illegals have to get some path. It’s just a matter of how, and when.

Big question: Is the NJ poll a sign that Republican attitudes against amnesty are hardening as people have started paying more attention to the Gang of Eight? I can’t find anything in this data round-up from February that’s directly on point, but the anger among grassroots righties and conservative media is obviously higher lately, which is bound to move the numbers a bit. Interesting to see Paul Ryan, who’s famously pro-reform, telling CBS this morning that while passage of the Gang’s bill in the Senate increases the chances of action in the House, the House won’t bring the Gang’s bill over. They’re going to follow their own “more methodical” process and “make sure we secure the border.” You trust him, don’t you?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

If the questions was “or vote at all ever again.” would the response have been higher?

oldroy on June 25, 2013 at 11:24 AM

How in the heck is a law that grants a group of tens of millions of people less than citizen status going to be found constitutional?

WitchDoctor on June 25, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I doubt I’ll ever vote GOP again…

OmahaConservative on June 25, 2013 at 11:26 AM

workingclass artist on June 25, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Allah, I trust none of them. Trust is tough to recover having lost it. Whigs.

Bmore on June 25, 2013 at 11:26 AM

WitchDoctor on June 25, 2013 at 11:26 AM

By redefining citizenship just like redefining marriage.

workingclass artist on June 25, 2013 at 11:28 AM

“You trust him, don’t you? Ryan is just a Rubio type lying wolf in sheep’s clothing.

oldroy on June 25, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Whole NEW Republican Party needed. Throw out ALL incumbents voting for this disaster. Time to Primary their ass!

philw1776 on June 25, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Do I trust Ryan? O_o

Did I once trust Rubio? How did that turn out.

Bishop on June 25, 2013 at 11:29 AM

As Sarah Palin herself wrote the other day,

As the Senate moves to pass amnesty, the only bright spot in this travesty is the rallying revolution we can look forward to. For just as opposition to Obamacare became a rallying cry for the 2010 midterm elections, opposition to this fundamentally transforming amnesty bill will galvanize the grassroots in next year’s elections. And 2014 is just around the corner.

kingsjester on June 25, 2013 at 11:29 AM

philw1776 on June 25, 2013 at 11:29 AM

No. No Republican Party. It’s over. No more money. No more votes. I expect that Zuckermann funded leftist politicos will try to take up the “Conservative” Party flag so as to take up that mental space in American’s minds before a true Conservative party ever gets going.

It’s over. Our party handed the losing side the win.

Let it burn.

oldroy on June 25, 2013 at 11:32 AM

This will only give the elites impetus to slander and disregard the Conservatives even more, maybe cause some of them to move further toward Democrat policies. They won’t have any choice, if they’re going to hope to garner any of that imaginary Hispanic vote to win elections.

Liam on June 25, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Where’s my country?

I know I left it around here somewhere. Dag nammit!

freedomfirst on June 25, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Looks like Karl “Marx” Rove has stepped in it again. Rubio has no one to blame but himself and his high priced “consultants”. The “establishment” wing of the Republican party and it’s band of lobbyists must be destroyed.

redguy on June 25, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Well I dumped my R for unaffiliated back in 2008. I will not vote for anyone that supports anything but enforcing our current laws and removing the illegals. Harsh but, though crap. It’s to the point that anyone can just walk across the border and claim the rights of a citizen and I don’t like it one bit.

Dr. Frank Enstine on June 25, 2013 at 11:33 AM

The GOP better get a frickin’ clue. I can’t tell you how many solid Republican’s are pissed at the complete and utter disconnect between the party leaders and the faithful. If the House passes anything close to the Gang of 8 bill, it will be the death knell for the GOP. And I am a long-time party activist and legal advisor. This will leave an indelible mark.

cww on June 25, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I doubt I’ll ever vote GOP again…

OmahaConservative on June 25, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I’ll vote GOP if it’s a good candidate. I’m not going to default to GOP anymore.

gophergirl on June 25, 2013 at 11:34 AM

kingsjester on June 25, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Having read the article, do you still believe there is hope for conservatives as a whole?

I simply cannot believe what has been happening…

I am in a shock, a state of disbelief…

2014 is around the corner, but will there be enough of us to make a difference…

Scrumpy on June 25, 2013 at 11:34 AM

It’s over. Our party handed the losing side the win.

Let it burn.

oldroy on June 25, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Yeah, the GOP keeps calling me for money. I said – not just NO but HELL NO!!!!
All my money is going to Ted Cruz…..

redguy on June 25, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Has Rush started lampooning Rubio like he lampoons McCain?

beatcanvas on June 25, 2013 at 11:34 AM

The Republican Establishment had better think about which side their bread is buttered on. If they don’t, I hope they have a trade to fall back on.

The Vichy Republican Establishment has backhanded Conservatives for a long while, now.

It is time for Conservatives to stand up for ourselves and our country once again.

kingsjester on June 25, 2013 at 11:35 AM

“Knock knock”

“Who’s there?”

“Marco Rubio”

“Marco Rubio who?”

“Good”

NOMOBO on June 25, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I called my esteemed senators Ayotte office today. Asked why illegals have more rights than me. Why if I forge documents I go to jail for 5 years but illegals get a waiver. If I get a dwi I get arrested but illegals get a waiver.

The staffer was writing it down and had the nerve to actually laugh.

Yeah its a big effing joke.

The joke is ayotte, rubio, flakey, ryan having the nerve to call themselves conservatives!!

LevinFan on June 25, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Where’s my country?

I know I left it around here somewhere. Dag nammit!

freedomfirst on June 25, 2013 at 11:33 AM

The Democrat Party has been telling you for decades they would take it away.

The Republican Party gave it to them – lock, stock and barrel – all the while they were lying in your face.

oldroy on June 25, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Liam on June 25, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Gophergirl was talking about the reaction on Facebook. I did check it out this morning and she’s right. Its crazy. Here’s to hoping the Senate gets the message before the actual vote and show solid GOP opposition to it.

We can still dream can’t we?

smoothsailing on June 25, 2013 at 11:37 AM

“Securing the border” is a mythological goal. Good idea, but a fantasy nonetheless. We will forever be trying new things.

The real problem is that our welfare programs are so extensive that America won’t stop attracting low-skilled people across the border until we stop paying them to come. It’s easier for a poorly educated person to live well here than in Mexico or Guatemala. Here, all sorts of organizations exist with the express goal of signing up new welfare beneficiaries and its easy to get on the gravy train even if you don’t speak enough English to find your way to the county benefits office or fill out forms.

If all federal welfare payments of whatever stripe are only available to citizens this so-called “immigration” problem ends instantly. Until then, it will never end.

MTF on June 25, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I dont know about Rush but Beck was all over rubio and Flake this morning saying they are both dead to him and they can never make it up to him after this debacle.

Right on Glenn!

LevinFan on June 25, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I doubt I’ll ever vote GOP again…

OmahaConservative on June 25, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I’m seriously considering not voting in national (Pres/House/Senate) elections in 2014 and 2016. I will continue to vote in statewide elections, since we have some decent conservatives here in Texas.

If the GOP runs another McCain or Romney type in 2016, I won’t vote for them.

Ward Cleaver on June 25, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Yeah, we have to vote out those Republican incumbents so we can elect Democrats to replace them!

How about this plan: Get a majority in the Senate first, THEN clean house.

crosspatch on June 25, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I doubt I’ll ever vote GOP again…

OmahaConservative on June 25, 2013 at 11:26 AM

gophergirl on June 25, 2013 at 11:34 AM

That was sort of what I meant. My senators, Fischer & Johanns voted nay…

OmahaConservative on June 25, 2013 at 11:40 AM

And this is why this had to be stopped in the Senate. All this talk about it being “DOA” in the House was obviously just talk given Ryan’s comments.

As I’ve said many times previously, the one good thing about amnesty will be hearing the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the GOP as they’re swept out of office by a blue tsunami in 2016.

Doomberg on June 25, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Apparently, Allah didn’t listen to any of Rubio’s pre-election speeches…

cajunpatriot on June 25, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Dr. Frank Enstine on June 25, 2013 at 11:33 AM

My husband’s a GOP committee chairman who’s thinking of running for city council. I can’t change my affiliation because it might come bac and bite him. *sigh*

annoyinglittletwerp on June 25, 2013 at 11:41 AM

If the GOP runs another McCain or Romney type in 2016, I won’t vote for them.

Ward Cleaver on June 25, 2013 at 11:39 AM

It was hard enough to vote for them in the last two elections…

OmahaConservative on June 25, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Quislings like vain Friend of Teddy Hatch and Keating Five McCain should be recalled.

The recall might not succeed but at least their legacy would have the blot of voters having found the puke-factor of these DC fossils unacceptable and tried to do something about it.

If there’s one thing dirtbags Hatch and McCain and similar turncoat ilk have is fat egos and being recalled, successful or not, would be something which would perturb those fat egos.

viking01 on June 25, 2013 at 11:42 AM

All the House members are up for re-election in 2014.
THEY NEED TO REMEMBER THAT.

The House needs to kill immigration “reform” now. Don’t even bring a bill to the house floor.

We will be gunning for ALL the Senators who keep voting to advance immigration “reform”…..

redguy on June 25, 2013 at 11:42 AM

If this becomes law.. I will never vote again..why bother..

Hojczyk on June 25, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Most illegals are under the radar now.Do they want to be made legal so they can pay taxes and vote?The free stuff they get now will go away.Staying under the radar seems the way to be IMHO.

docflash on June 25, 2013 at 11:44 AM

The shame of what is going on is appalling.

These people who are supposed to represent US! Are not listening, oh some are, but the powerful ones in the GOP are not.

Thanks Ed and Allah :-)

Scrumpy on June 25, 2013 at 11:47 AM

How about this plan: Get a majority in the Senate first, THEN clean house.

crosspatch on June 25, 2013 at 11:39 AM

That would be a workable plan if we could consistently differentiate the GOP fossils from the DNC fossils.

Even when we’ve had the majority the GOP fossils squandered it. Boehner completely wasted the momentum of the 2010 landslide. That’s also why Frist and Hastert got sent packing when they favored their fancy Capitol offices over why they had been sent.

viking01 on June 25, 2013 at 11:47 AM

There is a song that is very appropriate for these
FOOLS.

A song called “Nowhere Man” by the Beatles. Give it a listen,
and see how close it is to describing these Republicans
who voted for this.

Additionally, for me personally, if I hear from John
McShame for Paul Ryan the phrase “out of the Shadows”
one more time, I will travel to DC and VOMIT on their heads.

ToddPA on June 25, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I hope we see more polls like this. And I hope the House bill is delayed long enough that they’re forced to go home during the August recess and get an earful from their constituents. I think the Senate is a lost cause until the primaries since those a-holes get 6-year terms and appear to have no concern over flip-flopping on key issues the moment they’re safely elected. But the House has to answer to the electorate every 2 years which means there’s a lot more at stake for them if they screw over the base.

Doughboy on June 25, 2013 at 11:50 AM

oldroy on June 25, 2013 at 11:37 AM

“The GOP shouldn’t lie to me, oldroy. My grandmother lied to me once…once.”

freedomfirst on June 25, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Rubio has been tap dancing no matter how you phrase it. The whole border security is a farce since it is unenforceable and they all know it including Rubio which means there is effectively NO border security included. This is amnesty and Rubio said while campaigning that he was against any bill that granted amnesty. The fact that he tap dances around what this is; doesn’t make it any more palatable.

melle1228 on June 25, 2013 at 11:51 AM

How about this plan: Get a majority in the Senate first, THEN clean house.

crosspatch on June 25, 2013 at 11:39 AM

A “majority” of McCains and Rubios will do exactly what they are doing now, cave to the Dem agenda. You learned NOTHING from 2002-06, didn’t you?

ebrown2 on June 25, 2013 at 11:52 AM

All traitors of the land out, out, out.

Schadenfreude on June 25, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I doubt I’ll ever vote GOP again…

OmahaConservative on June 25, 2013 at 11:26 AM

gophergirl on June 25, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I am now a registered independent. First time I was anything but a Republican since I was a registered Democrat in the 94 election.

melle1228 on June 25, 2013 at 11:53 AM

melle1228 on June 25, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I’m sure his rationale is that the bill doesn’t explicitly state it’s amnesty. Just being precise, that’s all.

*phtooey*

freedomfirst on June 25, 2013 at 11:54 AM

“The GOP shouldn’t lie to me, oldroy. My grandmother lied to me once…once.”

freedomfirst on June 25, 2013 at 11:50 AM

But the GOP has lied to you for years. So you are more lenient on the Republican Liar’s Party than on your Grandmother?

What did she lie to you about? She’s not in the freezer or something like that is she?

oldroy on June 25, 2013 at 11:55 AM

White working class voter disaffection is going to be sky high. The problem for democrats is that without Obama on the ticket, working class black and latino turnout will probably also be depressed in 2016. Since neither party has *anything* for working class voters anymore (and refuse to even utter the word “poverty”) expect voter totals to be way down in 2016. Not only are the “haves” increasing their share of American income, they are going to increase their share of the American electorate. Yay “free market” capitalism.

libfreeordie on June 25, 2013 at 11:56 AM

And what % of Repub voters are less likely to vote for incumbents who support statehood for AK & HI?
(This train has left the station, folks.)

verbaluce on June 25, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act

Sec. 2 (3)

As a nation, we have the right and responsibility to make our borders safe, to establish clear and just rules for seeking citizenship, to control the flow of legal immigration, and to eliminate illegal immigration, which in some cases has become a threat to our national security. [Emphasis added.]

And since illegal immigration is a “threat to our national security,” we will just define it out of existence.

davidk on June 25, 2013 at 11:08 AM

davidk on June 25, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Curios how even the leftists are hesitant to support this, at the least they have gone silent. They know what’s coming too but their perverse pride of supposedly being the smartest people in any room will never allow them to admit their reps and Dog Eater are creating a disaster.

Bishop on June 25, 2013 at 11:57 AM

The key is having committed people who will go around and knock on doors to state their case. These incumbents need to be challenged. We just got rid of two entrenched incumbents in our local House of Delegates. Enough people are sick of Republicans who feel entitled and they are sick of Democrats because they are Lefties. When given a choice they usually make the correct one. I guess not enough people saw that choice between Romeny and Obama. Frankly, I don’t see that choice in ’14 yet. I do know that neither one of these new winners had much money. What the grass roots did for them was free. They went and knocked on doors. It can be done.

BetseyRoss on June 25, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Those numbers, both in the Republican and democratic lines, lead me to believe there’s some third-party potential on this issue.

slickwillie2001 on June 25, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Remember those few weeks when McCain and Hatch were talking like conservatives? Good times. Good times. Then they won their primary.

jukin3 on June 25, 2013 at 11:58 AM

At this point, what does it matter? Obama continues to give waivers to ‘dreamers’ instead of deporting them.

Fenris on June 25, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Exactly! Try becoming an identity thief and see what happens to you. You’ll go to jail, while an illegal fraudulently obtains someones identity and gets sympathy, welfare, an education and citizenship.

RandallinHerndon on June 25, 2013 at 12:01 PM

libfreeordie on June 25, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Note the dishonest scare quotes. There’s nothing that’s laissez-faire about rent-seeking, and slavenowordie AGAIN ignores La Raza’s & the left’s hearty endorsement of criminalizing American labor and support for unchecked immigration and amnesty, including constant smearing of opponents of ILLEGAL immigration as Buchananite nativists.

ebrown2 on June 25, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Instead of asking about a generic “Pathway to Citizenship,” the survey should have asked about a bill that would allow the 11-25 million current illegal aliens the ability to remain and work in the US indefinately and without penalty, and allowed the majority of them eventually to receive US government benefits. (All without substantially reducing the further influx of illegal aliens.)

I think the results would be somewhat more dramatic.

LASue on June 25, 2013 at 12:01 PM

jukin3 on June 25, 2013 at 11:58 AM

From “build the danged fence” to “get off my lawn” in 24 hours.

VegasRick on June 25, 2013 at 12:01 PM

libfreeordie on June 25, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Sort of puts your five votes for the insider and lobbyist-infested administration into a different light, now doesn’t it.

Penny Pritzker is poised to become Commerce Secretary after being nominated by your boy, and the woman is a “Have” of the highest order. When do you plan on raising hell about this particular nomination, the 5th of Never?

Bishop on June 25, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Why vote for Republicans if they do the same stuff Democrats do?

Why are no politicians going for the legal citizens’ vote?

Dan_Yul on June 25, 2013 at 12:03 PM

libfreeordie on June 25, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Bishop on June 25, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Seeing as he didn’t do due diligence about Senator Slumlord back in ’08, that sounds about right.

ebrown2 on June 25, 2013 at 12:03 PM

How about this plan: Get a majority in the Senate first, THEN clean house.

crosspatch on June 25, 2013 at 11:39 AM

The problem is that those same RINO Repubics destroying the country, will be the ones holding the key leadership positions in a Rebubic controlled Senate.

RandallinHerndon on June 25, 2013 at 12:04 PM

From “build the danged fence” to “get off my lawn” in 24 hours.

VegasRick on June 25, 2013 at 12:01 PM

He looks like the old man character in the movie “Up”.

oldroy on June 25, 2013 at 12:04 PM

McCain, Rubio.. the betrayals keep piling up..

and we’re supposed to just ignore that they imply we’re all racists in the base because they think we’re stuck with them..

mark81150 on June 25, 2013 at 12:05 PM

The House can craft and pass a Bill as tuff on the border as the want. When it goes into reconciliation, the Senate will throw out the House Bill, and pass The Dream Act. Your GOP Representitives can tell you “They only voted for a secure border”, to cover the asses. But they know the Senate will pass Amnesty and YOU will be non the wiser. Call your Reps and tell them you are on to them.

mariee on June 25, 2013 at 12:06 PM

A little OT…just had a thought, If the gang of eight can do this much damage, why couldn’t a third-party, tea party, do equally as much damage but in the opposite direction( You know, the liberty, Constitutional direction)?

I keep hearing how a third-party is the death of us, but yet, here we are…being bamboozled by a group calling them the “gang of 8″.

I’m starting to think a Constitutional third party( it is self evident, that neither party stands for our constitution, both are guilty of oath breaking) may have more power than these a$$holes are willing to admit to…

Back on topic…it is my opinion that all Republicans who vote for this should be a target to be thrown out of office no matter how much charity or agreement they have with most of our other ideals..this is a deal breaker.

Alinsky on June 25, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I doubt I’ll ever vote GOP again…

OmahaConservative on June 25, 2013 at 11:26 AM</blockquote

Ditto

DevilsPrinciple on June 25, 2013 at 12:08 PM

AP, excellent reporting on the Gang of 8. Very much appreciated.

Panther on June 25, 2013 at 12:09 PM

As Sarah Palin herself wrote the other day,

kingsjester on June 25, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I wish I could be that positive. I’m not sure if too many will be so disenchanted by that time, people will just completely give up. It’s harder than ever to trust these guys. Then you still have entrenched rinos who don’t want real change, especially those involving upstarts.

Dongemaharu on June 25, 2013 at 12:10 PM

oldroy on June 25, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Very sorry.
I made a poor/obscure “moving picture” reference. If you ever saw the flick Johnny Dangerously, you may have recognized the quote….but then again, the movie was a flop.

You’re correct about the GOP. I’m beginning to feel like I’ve got battered spouse syndrome where I keep getting smacked around and somehow excuse it and go back for more.

No more default votes for Repubs from me. I cringe at the current alternative, but these morons need to learn we shouldn’t be taken for granted.

freedomfirst on June 25, 2013 at 12:11 PM

path to citizenship is not the pressing issue of the day! why doesn’t congress get that?!?

what happened to the deficit, and unemployment?? did we solve those problems and I just don’t know about it?

at this point, i’m inclined to vote the repubs out even if it doesn’t pass…

jetch on June 25, 2013 at 12:12 PM

libfreeordie on June 25, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Bishop on June 25, 2013 at 12:02 PM

It’s also Mafia money:

Did you know that in the early 1970s, the Internal Revenue Service investigated the Pritzker family, whose scion Penny Pritzker has just been tapped by President Obama to become Secretary of Commerce, because their Hyatt Corporation was paying no taxes? And that in the course of the inquiry, an IRS statement quoted an informant with access to the records of the offshore bank where they hid their assets that the family, “through their Hyatt Corporation, received their initial backing from organized crime”?

Alternate Title: “When You’ve Lost el Nacion…”

slickwillie2001 on June 25, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I didn’t vote for Mitt Romneycare and I won’t vote for ANY Republican if the House passes this crap.

The Republicans have been an echo of the Democrats for so long some people seem to think that is the way things should be.

The Republicans are considering killing any hope of restoring America with this bill, they better know most of them are getting their butts removed from their comfortable seats in DC if they pass it.

18-1 on June 25, 2013 at 12:16 PM

slickwillie2001 on June 25, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Yah I should have said “a criminal Have of the highest order”; the woman is a douchebag and Barky went out and tapped her on the shoulder to offer a job.

Libfree must stay silent though, the Smart People of society are having difficulty explaining how they got bamboozled by a thug grifter.

Bishop on June 25, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Fvck the gop. I keep sending them their envelopes back empty except for notes reading “Get back to me when you stop acting like democrats”. As a matter of fact I think I will start sending copies of checks made out to the “DNC” just to let them know.

VegasRick on June 25, 2013 at 12:17 PM

oldroy on June 25, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Some may remember the Steven Wright joke about when he was a kid his grandmother told him: “Here’s five dollars but don’t tell your mother.” To which Steven replied “It’s going to cost you more than that.”

viking01 on June 25, 2013 at 12:17 PM

This will all become clearer in the fullness of time, i.e., when a Republican in an R+8 district loses by 10% to a Democrat because none of the Tea Party conservatives would vote for him or her.

How much is Kelly Ayotte going to lose her re-election vote by…10%? 15%? Will she just not run for re-election after she sees the numbers? Mark Kirk will lose by 20% in Illinois, since none of the Democrats who have been threatening him will ever vote for an R, and no of us IL cons will vote for him again. Buh bye, Princess.

Jaibones on June 25, 2013 at 12:21 PM

There should be no debate about a path. There should be no path. Simple.

RDE2010 on June 25, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Plan B House Republicans….

Plan B is I vote straight ticket D and speed things up…

quit trying to just slow them down and go back to offering alternatives to these people.

The Democrats will destroy the nation, but I’d rather have it happen sooner rather than later so we can start over than have you get me to Obama and Reid’s destination at 85% speed.

If the RiNOs are threatening to quit or switch Mr. Speaker say so so we can prepare for the devastation Obama is bringing.

He is going to increase energy costs 15% or more today in his speech.

There are SO MANY THINGS to attack him on and YOU keep acting like he is “just moving too fast.”

Attack him or I’ll hire new people from my enemy party.

harlekwin15 on June 25, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Yes indeed for the first time since 1982 I will not be a registered Republican.

Might I get more B.S. crap in the mail and more B.S. phone calls, probably. But it will be worth it. I do pity the fools that knock on my door though, for I will strike out with righteous fury (metaphorically) at whoever does come, regardless of party.

D-fusit on June 25, 2013 at 12:24 PM

slickwillie2001 on June 25, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Bishop on June 25, 2013 at 12:17 PM

ebrown2 on June 25, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I doubt I’ll ever vote GOP again…

OmahaConservative on June 25, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Call your shots make them work for your vote.

If the Republican who represents you is finctionally a “me too” democrat who has no problem with Obama helping Al Qaeda and the Muslim Brotherhood without Congresiional oversight Vote D and try to fracture their base.

I am sick and tired of John McCain and Lindsay Graham thinking their job is to make Chuck Schumer have an erection lasting so long he needs a doctor.

Hold them to task.

harlekwin15 on June 25, 2013 at 12:26 PM

As an aside, a Republican party not ran by idiots and traitors wouldn’t be talking about amnesty – they’d be talking about cleaning up the system.

We don’t need more low skill immigrants that *at best* will lower salaries for low skill Americans and at worst will go straight on the dole.

We do need some number of entrepreneurs and people with useful skill sets.

So why aren’t we talking about making it easier for productive resident aliens to get citizenship?

18-1 on June 25, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Do I trust Ryan? No, and that is they guy that was crying about people lying to his face in congress. http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2013/06/24/Paul-Ryan-People-in-Congress-Knowingly-Lie-to-Your-Face

Ryan is part of the “establishment”, he’s just a little more polished and smooth then the rest of them.

My congressman will not have my vote in 2014 if he votes for this. I already have a little “buyers remorse” over a few of his votes this year.

ritewhit on June 25, 2013 at 12:28 PM

libfreeordie on June 25, 2013 at 11:56 AM

You really don’t get how the “Welfare state” is designed to work, do you?

and about that importing third world citizens deal ……….

FlaMurph on June 25, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Exactly!

Any conservative who votes for this POS should be kicked out of office.

GarandFan on June 25, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Add in those of us who switched to independent/unafilliated and I am garnering that you have a full majority.

Republicans used to be able to count on my vote. That ended back with McCain and has only been getting worse with the exception of the 2010.

astonerii on June 25, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Ever notice that Democrats always vote the far left line when it matters no matter how “moderate” they are?

Odd how Republicans instead stab their voters in the back on a regular basis, isn’t it?

18-1 on June 25, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Too bad the Republican party doesn’t care what the base wants (and honestly, what seems like a sizable portion of Democrats as well).

milcus on June 25, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Even Ohio’s yellow-bellied Obama sycophant Sherrod Brown ducked out of voting for that deal, and he’s a Democrat.

RebeccaH on June 25, 2013 at 12:35 PM

and about that importing third world citizens deal ……….

The easiest way to have a formal third world kleptocracy is to import a third world kleptocratic voting electorate, no?

18-1 on June 25, 2013 at 12:36 PM

libfreeordie on June 25, 2013 at 11:56 AM

You support the “haves” you moron.

You just blew the brains out of the working poor citizens of this nation, but since you control the media you’ll escape blame.

I am sorry the evil conservative kicked your puppy, got your prom date whatever but anyone who told you the democrats are helping the poor is an idiot.

Ogabecare which you love and Schumer/Rubio Amnesty Grande is passed as rendered make it 3,000 dollars cheaper to hire the “newer better American.”

I hate your party with the passion of a thousand suns.

I’m teaching my son spanish, and I am learning spanish to undermine the hispanic media’s psychotic socialist tendencies.

You cannot control and micromanage 320,000,000 people’s economic lives but by Jesus you’ll try.

Your war on inexpensive energy is an attack on the poor in the name of a Gaia worshipping religion based on no science.

That’s the bad news from me to you.

The “good news” is your media domination and the weakness of the GOP are about to have me vote straight ticket D….

You’re about to get to do everything you want…

and I know that like voting rights you will never admit “victory” you fascist b***ard.

harlekwin15 on June 25, 2013 at 12:37 PM

As for me, what I despised about this Senate debacle was the same underhandedness, the sneakiness, the lies, the collaboration with “the enemy”….. and all the while knowing their offices were being blasted with dissent. They know we don’t want this. The fact that these guys think we’ll get even a portion of the Hispanic vote out of this maneuvering really burns my chaps. NO MORE GOP VOTES FROM ME UNLESS THE CANDIDATE IS A TRUE CONSERVATIVE IN A “TED CRUZ” KINDA WAY.

DaBeesKnees on June 25, 2013 at 12:37 PM

We currently have an extreme leftwing and a far leftwing party. As the Beltway crowd would argue that covers the full gamut of political thought.

18-1 on June 25, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Wait until they find out about the ObamaCars for legalised yewths so that they can drive to jobs that our betters claim ‘Americans just won’t do.’

What I can’t understand is why the GOP isn’t screaming at the top of their lungs that this amnesty bill will hurt African-Americans more than anyone. The Democrats have, evidently, thrown blacks under the bus for the shiny, new special interest group. Republicans could appeal to them. Even many liberal black leaders are opposed to this atrocity and the US Civil Rights Commission, the CBO, and others have said that blacks will be deeply harmed.

Resist We Much on June 25, 2013 at 12:40 PM

RebeccaH on June 25, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Yeah Portman shocked me in voting no…

He loves him some RiNO…

no the ball is in Boehner’s hands…

it is up to him.

Am I a Republican who wants a freer market with a vibrant energy rich America helping the working class or Mr. Boehner in stabbing the American working class in the back am I about to do something I never would have and vote Democrat to speed the burning times up?

It is up to you John…you’ve had my last blind gift vote….

McCain? Romney?

No more.

harlekwin15 on June 25, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Conservative Republicans need to put together a plan for immigration reform that actually works…and do it quickly. They can’t be seen as simply saying “NO” and leaving things as they are.

The solution needs to:

1. Address the porous border to make it more difficult for anyone trying to sneak into the US. Solution should include fencing, drones and any other physical tool that might prove useful.

2. Ensure only US citizens and legal foreign residents are employed. If that’s E-Verify or something similar..fine. Get it up and running and make its use mandatory. Non-compliance will result in stiff fines AND/OR significant prison sentences (the latter for egregious or repeat offenses).

3. Ensure no illegal immigrants are given any state or federal assistance (“no” means absolutely ZERO aid). No food stamps. No housing vouchers. No health care. No anything.

4. Clear up the confusion regarding the 14th Amendment provision that has been used to establish “anchor babies”. The amendment was designed to address the status of the former slaves. But since it was poorly written, it’s been abused in more ways than just about any other provision in the Constitution. The fix is easy…No one born to parents who are in the US illegally is technically under the jurisdiction of the US, so the 14th doesn’t really apply to them. Translation….NO MORE ANCHOR BABIES.

5. Address the so-called employee/worker shortages that the proponents of amnesty cite as the rationale for supporting immigration reform. We have the best universities in the world…and yet we don’t turn out enough tech majors who happen to be US citizens? Figure out why that is…and fix it. And regarding the “ag” needs for immigrants…sorry farmers, but you’ll have to pay more to get people to sign up for these jobs. Sure, that will raise prices a bit for the rest of us, but isn’t that a small price to pay for having the dollars stay in the US? Isn’t a slight increase in costs at the grocery store worth taking people off unemployment or welfare? If we have market economy, let the market set the rates. Importing cheap labor or paying illegals under the table is cheating…and it needs to stop.

ScottiesRule on June 25, 2013 at 12:41 PM