I guess we need to talk about the Hillary t-shirt

posted at 6:41 pm on June 25, 2013 by Allahpundit

Guy Benson already flagged it in the Greenroom but I think this warrants front-page treatment. What is it about this shirt that’s captivated the ‘Net today? Is it the fact that it kinda sorta marks the beginning of the 2016 campaign? Or is it the vague suggestion of Hillary bursting, Kuato-like, from the chests of her supporters to gurgle, “Elect me”?

She lives inside us all. Literally.

t

How many credible candidates for president over the past 40 years are so well known to the public that they can get away with putting out merch that features their face instead of their name? This is the blessing and curse for the GOP in 2016 if she’s the nominee: She’s been so famous for so long and for so many reasons that the election could become a de facto referendum on Hillary. That’s great if it turns out that the public has Clinton fatigue, not so great if they don’t. She’s popular at the moment that it makes perfect sense to try to capitalize on it this way. Hillary the icon, Hillary the inevitable, the first woman president waiting in the wings until the public’s “ready.” The more larger-than-life they can make her, the more she potentially controls her own electoral fate, which may come in handy as a way to distance herself from the White House if O’s second term continues heading into the crapper.

And yet … the shirt’s goofy, isn’t it? Hillary may be an icon but she’s never had the cult-forming personal charisma that Obama used against her five years ago. She may be smart and capable and well-credentialed, yadda yadda, but she’s never going to be able to pull off the cover of “Rolling Stone” the way The One could. As it is, this is like having a t-shirt with Nixon’s face on it: Even smart, capable, well-credentialed establishment dorks are still establishment dorks. But let me not speak too soon; it may be that both left and right are so tired of Obama come 2016 that the only way one of his former cabinet members can build a campaign is to try to build their own beyond-politics cult of personality. Dork or not, there’s a strategy here.

Exit question: There needs, needs to be a shirt like this for Biden too, no?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Come on, Bmore.

I know you can take that tee shirt and put Benghazi for the word with the bloody hand prints below it.

Barred on June 25, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Very WHITE t-shirt…..

albill on June 25, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Made in China, no doubt.

TimBuk3 on June 25, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Wait til the Knitted Cankle Coverups go on sale…

patman77 on June 25, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Seriously creepy.

22044 on June 25, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Ready

Fireman

faraway on June 25, 2013 at 7:58 PM

How about Ambassador Stevens, plus ‘Rescue Me’

faraway on June 25, 2013 at 7:59 PM

And yet … the shirt’s goofy, isn’t it?

So’s the American electorate, so there’s that.

Cleombrotus on June 25, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Cue the Bob Wills music!

A+

Del Dolemonte on June 25, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Stone cold stole that from author, Lewis Grizzard.

katy the mean old lady on June 25, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Very WHITE t-shirt…..

albill on June 25, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Point.

davidk on June 25, 2013 at 8:06 PM

That t-shirt reminds me of Jim Carrey’s face emerging from the mechanical rhinoceros in the Ace Ventura movie.

tennesseejed on June 25, 2013 at 8:11 PM

If Hillary’s husband keeps pushing us into stupid wars in Syria, and keeps supporting the NSA spying on people, I am not sure she will be such a shoe in in 2016 depending one who the GOP selects.

She is not Bill, in other words she is not a charismatic candidate. No one likes have a shrill old woman lecturing them.

William Eaton on June 25, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Hillary Clinton, picks up the pieces
in Benghazi where a murder has been
Lives in a dream
Waits at the window, wearing the face
that she keeps in a jar by the door
Who is it for?

EJHill on June 25, 2013 at 8:45 PM

This is troubling on an infinite number of levels……..

williamg on June 25, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Ready to be PhotoShopped, maybe.

OhioCoastie on June 25, 2013 at 9:08 PM

No. No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.

Just…no.

That the Clintons are not (yet) in prison is one of the great injustices of our time.

butterflies and puppies on June 25, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I’ve seen that face somewhere before:

whatcat on June 25, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Madame Presbian.

ghostwalker1 on June 25, 2013 at 9:49 PM

I’d change “Ready” to “REALLY?”

SheVee on June 25, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Exit question: There needs, needs to be a shirt like this for Biden too, no?

They’re worn by double-wides everywhere: “I’m With Stupid—>”

de rigueur on June 25, 2013 at 9:53 PM

READY

† † † †
BENGHAZI

Roc on June 25, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I haven’t read the first page of comments, so someone else may have seen the resemblance.

To me this looks almost exactly like Cassandra, the last human in Dr. Who (9th Doctor).

And there isn’t too much difference in personalities either, sadly.

LibraryGryffon on June 25, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Smoking a cigar?

The Thin Man Returns on June 25, 2013 at 11:30 PM

The hag looks creepy even in a younger mock-up.

She’s as dumb at 3:00a.m. when the phone rings as is obama.a

Schadenfreude on June 26, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Ready for…the creche.

Schadenfreude on June 26, 2013 at 12:06 AM

ready or…NOT!

GGMac on June 26, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Just needs a few well placed stains and it is pretty clear she can look past anything.

2Tru2Tru on June 26, 2013 at 2:42 AM

Ready to be PhotoShopped, maybe.

OhioCoastie on June 25, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Oh yeah….

“What difference does it make?”

dogsoldier on June 26, 2013 at 6:06 AM

“Does this look like the face of mercy?”

ZK on June 26, 2013 at 8:01 AM

I don’t remember where I saw it, but the title, “Butcher of Benghazi” hits it right on the mark.

Saverio on June 26, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Saverio on June 26, 2013 at 8:09 AM

The bloody hand smear might be more effective.

dogsoldier on June 26, 2013 at 8:13 AM

And on the back: “…unless nobody has told me about the emails begging for more security…then, what difference does it make?!!?!

Axeman on June 26, 2013 at 8:37 AM

The more larger-than-life they can make her

That might not be the best wording given ….. nvm.

I think it should look more like the creature bursting out Kane’s chest in Alien. *shudder*

GWB on June 26, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Creepy, just plain creepy. Now if they really want to get attention, make her look like grumpy cat instead.

Kissmygrits on June 26, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I’m not going to read over the thread to see if someone already said this – but I bet they did! – and I sure can’t believe I’m saying it myself, but here goes:

I’d take Hillary in a heartbeat over the current occupant of the office. I used to loathe her, but compared to HopeyChangey, she’s downright delightful.

Alternatively, conservatives could find a legitimate conservative candidate, run a competent campaign, and – you know – win.

But since they don’t seem capable, I can at least take solace in the fact that it ain’t gonna be Obama.

Professor Blather on June 26, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Fired from working on the Watergate prosecutor’s team for being a liar and unethical – has not changed one whit in the intervening years – yet she is considered a viable candidate for the presidency.

I weep for my country.

PJ Emeritus on June 26, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Very poor PR move.
The Fat-Cheeked One
needs to be careful.

That T-Shirt brings to mind a Dr. Who episode when the last human being (in the future) is wheeled into the room on a metal frame, stretched to the nines at about 13 points to be pinned to this metal frame. The tight skin sheet thingie’s name was Cassandra. “MOISTURIZE ME! MOISTURRIZE ME!”

The face in the middle of this human skin mess looked like this one of The Fat-Checked One.

See #3: http://houseofgeekery.com/2012/03/30/the-10-goofiest-doctor-who-villains/

Cassandra Clinton…hmmmmm.

avagreen on June 26, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Oops!
Looks like LibraryGryffon on June 25, 2013 at 11:27 PM beat me to it.

avagreen on June 26, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Hillary looks like the Cheshire Cat. Too bad she won’t disappear altogether.

Kingfisher on June 26, 2013 at 3:35 PM

2008-2016 : Empty suit

2016-2024 : Empty pantsuit

Don’t see why this is something to look forward to.

dissent555 on June 26, 2013 at 5:45 PM