Endgame: New poll shows Anthony Weiner leading in race for NYC mayor

posted at 8:01 pm on June 25, 2013 by Allahpundit

You can’t keep a good Weiner down.

I believe it was F. Scott Fitzgerald who said there are no second acts in American lives, unless you’re a Twitter perv pitted against a field of charisma-less no-name losers.

Weiner leads [City Council Speaker Christine] Quinn 25 percent to 20 percent among registered Democrats, the poll by Marist found. That’s a flip-flop from the last survey in May, when Quinn, the longtime front-runner, led Weiner 24 percent to 19 percent.

Just as telling is the number of registered New York voters who said they might vote for Weiner. Forty-nine percent said they’d consider it, up from 40 percent two months ago, before Weiner entered the race. Those who said they wouldn’t consider voting for him dropped from 52 percent to 45 percent…

Weiner, meanwhile, saw his favorability rating among Democrats jump from 44 percent to 52 percent. His negative rating dropped from 44 percent to 36 percent…

Miringoff attributed the Weiner-Quinn reversal to the fact that Quinn, as the early front-runner, became the target of her rivals’ criticism as she tried to find the right balance of allegiance to — and independence from — outgoing mayor Michael Bloomberg. That drew some negative attention from Weiner.

This is good news, for two reasons. One: It’s good for blogging. The mayoral race will get much nastier now, with Quinn and the rest of the field in too much trouble not to rub Weiner’s face in Twittergate. Lots of easy content there, although I’m not sure it’ll hurt him at this point. Weiner’s whole strategy since he got in has been to eat shinola about his, er, peccadilloes when necessary but otherwise stick firmly to policy to show he’s a serious guy. The more Quinn tries to drag him into the mud, the easier it is for him to say that he’s the one candidate who’s interested in solving problems. The X factor is whether, as Weiner himself admits is possible, there’s more stuff out there from his Twitter fiasco that hasn’t been discovered yet. Maybe that won’t be a big deal. Maybe it will be.

Two: It’s going to make national Democrats sweat, especially Weiner’s mentor — and new GOP BFF — Chuck Schumer. Schumer’s been asked before about his candidacy and politely declined to comment. I wonder if that’ll change if Weiner’s lead starts to open, or if he’ll forever remain too skeevy for big-name Dems to buddy up with again. If Democratic leaders decide he’s too much of a liability to have back on a stage as big as Gracie Mansion, they’ll start helping Quinn in various ways — endorsements, donations, maybe a little oppo. The great fear for them is that he sneaks into the nomination with something like 41 percent of the vote among a crowded Democratic field and then his opponents’ supporters unite in disgust behind the Republican in the general election. Quinn is the safer choice as nominee, both in the general and as mayor. Time for national Democrats to answer the bell.

Exit question: Given that this poll basically confirms that any liberal with high name recognition can get a look from zero-standards New Yorkers, don’t you think Alec Baldwin regrets that he decided not to get in? Why should we have one boorish left-wing loudmouth who’s never passed legislation in the race when we could have two?

Comments

Too bad. I was hoping he’d have such low ability to satisfy he’d have to pull out early.

Liam on June 25, 2013 at 8:03 PM

NYC is full of Weiners so it`s no surprise.

ThePrez on June 25, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Don’t forget the fun of him being married to Hillary’s sidekick, Huma.

No doubt the Clintons are as thrilled as Schumer about Weiner’s….rising fortunes.

Wethal on June 25, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Hence why I say…NYC is a lost cause and GOP elites who spend too much time in that city are too brainwashed to understand the rest of the party.

William Eaton on June 25, 2013 at 8:08 PM

About what I’ve come to expect from liberal cities like that. You get to choose between narcissistic nannies and wormy little perverts and I say that like they are mutually exclusive. They’re not.

HotAirian on June 25, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Weiner ahead by inches

faraway on June 25, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Weiner pulls ahead!

Pork-Chop on June 25, 2013 at 8:09 PM

democrat disgusting pervert

txhsmom on June 25, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Always Be Closing.

Always. Be. Closing.

Curtiss on June 25, 2013 at 8:10 PM

heh! Allah is taunting Alec Baldwin. Now that’d be some epic blogging, wouldn’t it??

ted c on June 25, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Anthony Weiner leading in race. And its Weiner by a hose.

coldwarrior on June 25, 2013 at 8:12 PM

I don’t know why anyone, least of all someone as perceptive as AP, continue to quote Fitzgerald’s “no second acts in American life.” America is all about second acts. (BTW, this webpage says Fitzgerald meant something else entirely.)

bobs1196 on June 25, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Let’s face it. Moral failings just don’t matter anymore in our politicians. Hell, Mark Sanford just got elected to Congress just a few years after his utterly bizzare extramarital affair.

AngusMc on June 25, 2013 at 8:13 PM

The campaign materials he sent to underage girls must have given him a boost

faraway on June 25, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I hope Weiner wins. He’s still toxic in purple state America.

thuja on June 25, 2013 at 8:16 PM

if he’ll forever remain too skeevy for big-name Dems to buddy up with again.

That is simply unpossible.

AUINSC on June 25, 2013 at 8:16 PM

New York the New Detroit.

Grunt on June 25, 2013 at 8:17 PM

A lot has happened since September 11, 2001. I, like a lot of other guys, re-enlisted after having been out for years after that. What did NYC give a sympathetic nation, a nation believing in unity?

They gave us Bloomberg the complete sh**, Clinton the menstrual cramp, and now, the Weiner.

Thanks, thanks a lot NYC.

M240H on June 25, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Hopefully the number two guy can pull ahead.

CW on June 25, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I have always had full faith the the stupidity of New Yorkers. Goog God Almighty!

ultracon on June 25, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Anthony Weiner leading in race. And its Weiner by a hose.

coldwarrior on June 25, 2013 at 8:12 PM

We’ve seen the pictures; it’d be a bigger lead if he was leading by his nose …

M240H on June 25, 2013 at 8:19 PM

I hope Weiner wins.

thuja on June 25, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Me too. But, I’m not pulling for him.

faraway on June 25, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Of course he’s going to win. I live here. NYC loves a huge ego and Christine Quinn is a stiff. So to speak.

AYNBLAND on June 25, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Oy vey, I live here!

ParisParamus on June 25, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Pull out! Pull out!

Ronnie on June 25, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Ahhhhhhhhhh Wiener, just what the NYCityians want…

They love a ‘criminalistic’ pol just like they do in Chicago!

Bless their collective little hearts… (;

Scrumpy on June 25, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Thanks, thanks a lot NYC.

M240H on June 25, 2013 at 8:17 PM

NY has given us a lot more than that over the years. It’s simply the fact that the cancer that spread from that location has metastasized for so long now that we forget where it originally came from.

Cleombrotus on June 25, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Frankly I have so written off anything in politics making sense in NYC or state
That I don’t give a rats patute

losarkos on June 25, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I cannot come up with not even a simple somthing to poke fun at Wiener, may he roast on the grill… ughhhhhhh so lame…. lolol

Bada Bing Bada Boom!

Scrumpy on June 25, 2013 at 8:27 PM

AngusMc on June 25, 2013 at 8:13 PM

This. Morality doesn’t matter anymore, not even for Republicans. Heck, Trump was invited by a Christian conservative group.

IR-MN on June 25, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Hey ain’t Hillary originally from Chicago.

losarkos on June 25, 2013 at 8:28 PM

IR-MN on June 25, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Yup.

As pun-worthy as this is, admit it, something in your soul just weeps at this news.

Cleombrotus on June 25, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Uhm …

What’s the disqualifyer here for Weiner?

I mean – he’s a liberal Dim – and I hate liberal Dims – but NYC seems to love them so who gives a sh*t?

The fact that he “sexted” his private parts around is not a disqualifyer in my opinion. The voters are aware of what he did – so cares if they choose to overlook it?

I overlooked David Vitter’s sexual transgressions when I voted for him – and I’m damn proud that I did – he votes reliably conservative.

I would damn sure take a conservative pervo – who sexted or visited hookers over some liberal RINO squish with squeaky clean morals.

Can’t have everything guys.

HondaV65 on June 25, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Tony………..Eric
WEINER/HOLDER
…2 0 1 6 …

KOOLAID2 on June 25, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Off topic

Gomez leading in MA with 8% in

loveofcountry on June 25, 2013 at 8:31 PM

HAHAHAHAHA

Just when you think New York City’ers can’t get any more pathetic they manage to open a new can of stupid and embarrass themselves yet again.

Bishop on June 25, 2013 at 8:33 PM

…Bloomie…Schumer…Weiner…et al…what a cesspool NY is!

KOOLAID2 on June 25, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Mayor Weiner.

Mayor Nanny is trying to nationalize his gun grabbing.

Hopefully Weiner won’t try to nationalize what he’s known for.

22044 on June 25, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Gomez leading in MA with 8% in

loveofcountry on June 25, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Wow – LOOK AT THAT! It looks like he actually has a chance!

Pork-Chop on June 25, 2013 at 8:40 PM

NYC: you elect the government you deserve… and you deserve the government you elect!

Khun Joe on June 25, 2013 at 8:43 PM

I’m beginning to believe Americans have no standards anymore. Either that or there just aren’t any quality candidates out there. He’s proof of both. I’d bet anything right now that Hillary escapes all scrutiny of her shoddy performance as SOS and becomes the next president, too. Liberals don’t care about character and honor and leadership qualities, or lecherous exhibitionists apparently. The guy isn’t just a giant jacka@@, he’s a little dik.

scalleywag on June 25, 2013 at 8:45 PM

You can always count on liberals to elect the worst possible candidate. I mean heck they voted for a known crackhead in Marion Barry. The democrat slogan “Fail your way to the top”. Liberals love failures and morally bankrupt people.

The Notorious G.O.P on June 25, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Weiner has a shot.
Weiner rising.
Weiner up.
Weiner zips ahead.
Weiner the problem solver.

antisocial on June 25, 2013 at 8:48 PM

22044 on June 25, 2013 at 8:38 PM

“This is my rifle, this is my gun….” That type of gun grabbing?

:-)

coldwarrior on June 25, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Well, Obama was elected twice, so nothing shocks me anymore. Sad.

changer1701 on June 25, 2013 at 8:50 PM

NYC HotAir-ians: Does Lhota have a shot to win in this race? Where is he on the Giuliani to Bloomberg spectrum of NYC Republicanism?

Robert_Paulson on June 25, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I have to admit, his arrogance is stunning, even for a politician. Exposing his weiner to unsuspecting women online is apparently not enough to make him believe he’s not suitable for the office he seeks. It would keep him from seeking a lot of other posts, he probably couldn’t be in law enforcement, or become a judge, or teach, but hey, you can sure run for mayor of NYC!

scalleywag on June 25, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Markey’s going to win. I guess all that’s left is to see by how much. :(

22044 on June 25, 2013 at 8:55 PM

NYC voters deserve what they vote for…

ladyingray on June 25, 2013 at 9:00 PM

There’s just too much off-color material available here. And I refuse to add to it.

[At least today.]

EdmundBurke247 on June 25, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Endgame: New poll shows Anthony Weiner leading in race for NYC mayor

Keith Ellison is my congressman.

Al Franken is my senator.

I am unable to throw a stone here.

Sorry.

Bruno Strozek on June 25, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Overlooking the stupidity of New York Democrats for a moment, I’m all for the Weiner’s rise (in the polls). The higher he gets, the worse the previously unexposed pics he tweeted of his exposure will be exposed to the public. It will get ugly, I can promise you that.

Now, about those democrat New Yorkers, really?

parke on June 25, 2013 at 9:17 PM

What’s the disqualifyer here for Weiner?

HondaV65 on June 25, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Great analysis, HondaV65. I agree on every point. As I tell everyone, I would even today donate to Sharron Angle, Mourdock and Christine O’Donnell if they were still running and had a chance at winning. The bottom line is how they vote, not whether they are slightly strange.

I’ve seen Weiner many times on television. He’s 10 or 15 IQ points higher than the average politician (25 higher than McCain). Also, he’s a solid liberal and a perfect fit for NY, perversions and all.

Besides that, it will be such a colossal joke to have him win. I will laugh my head off. Please, please, do it, New York! You are already a laughingstock to the nation but this will make you more so.

Burke on June 25, 2013 at 9:18 PM

O/T: Sheesh, is every smokin’ hot dominatrix on the web a fake or a grifter? So depressing, AP (& Ed).

Seth Halpern on June 25, 2013 at 9:24 PM

You know what? Laugh if you want but assuming the GOP doesn’t have a competitive candidate, I’d vote for Weiner myself. Make no mistake, I rode the Twittergate scandal for all it was worth, celebrated Weiner’s downfall, and still consider Breitbart’s press conference hijacking to be one of the greatest conservative media moments of recent history.

But…if you live in New York City, here’s the truth: Weiner is the BY FAR the most competent Democrat in the race. A jackass? For sure. Likely to tweet pics of his junk to co-eds in the future? Wouldn’t be against it. But in a Democratic primary where every single other candidate has been outcompeting the others with how much they can abase themselves before the pedestal of the government and (most critically) teacher’s unions, Weiner is the sole candidate who’s been willing to say “eh, screw those guys, I’m not giving control over the schools back to the unions.”

That’s a big deal for people living in the city.

I’d always predicted Weiner would win the Democratic nomination from the moment he got into the race — not because of his own ‘virtues’ per se (though if you’re using the extremely narrow lens of NYC liberals and Democrats, he actually has some political ones), but because of the flabby weakness of the rest of the field. Amusing to see one of my prognostications looking like it might come true.

Esoteric on June 25, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Campaign Photo:

Little Anthony and the Imperials.

Gawd.

TimBuk3 on June 25, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Arrgh. Important correction to my 9:24 post. “Wouldn’t BET against it.” Not “BE against it.” Ugh, changes the meaning entirely.

Esoteric on June 25, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Weiner’s puff-piece enablers at The New York Times have done their best to downplay the scandal’s sordid pedo angle…

Fox News then broke the news in the mainstream press that Delaware police had visited the girl’s home and questioned her about her online communications with Weiner. The 17-year-old said she had met Weiner on a school trip to Washington…

He also denied that any messages to the teen were “explicit” or “indecent.”

But can the serial liar be believed?

Silly me, but perhaps the predatory perv

- Michelle Malkin

1. Anything involving a 17 year old is not “pedo” by a mile.

2. If the police visited the 17 year old to question her, and didn’t file charges, or leak anything bad about Weiner, that is strong evidence that he did not send her explicit messages. This isn’t based on HIS word, it is based on HERS.

3. Nothing Weiner did makes him either predatory or perverted, it just makes him an adulterer/cheater.

Michelle Malkin is really muckraking on this one. For shame. I agree with Allahpundit that Weiner as mayor would be great. It would give conservatives a caricature of a liberal democrat to point out to voters, like with Pelosi.

kaltes on June 25, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Always Be Closing.

Always. Be. Closing.

Curtiss on June 25, 2013 at 8:10 PM

If you want the knife set.

/dennis miller

Ward Cleaver on June 25, 2013 at 9:37 PM

A much as I hate to say it, he might be a better mayor than Bloomberg.

Ward Cleaver on June 25, 2013 at 9:38 PM

As bad as Weiner is, he’s a hell of a lot better than Quinn. She’s a lesbian that makes Elizabeth Warren look sane and competent.

letoile du nord on June 25, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Just In!: NYC is now the LoFo king. NYC came from behind and opened a wide lead on #2 Chicago and #3 LA for most LoFos per capita. Experts are not surprised at NYCs high LoFo rate but their jump to #1 so quickly was not expected.

BoxHeadMedia-1

BoxHead1 on June 25, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Wiener/Holder 2016!

b1jetmech on June 25, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Tony………..Eric
WEINER/HOLDER
…2 0 1 6 …

KOOLAID2 on June 25, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Sigh…you beet me to it…

b1jetmech on June 25, 2013 at 9:41 PM

kaltes on June 25, 2013 at 9:30 PM

You mean Bloomberg isn’t good enough? Sheesh.

nobar on June 25, 2013 at 9:55 PM

kaltes on June 25, 2013 at 9:30 PM

He flashed the Twitterverse. What’s your definition of pervy?

Ted Torgerson on June 25, 2013 at 10:07 PM

…But…if you live in New York City, here’s the truth: Weiner is the BY FAR the most competent Democrat in the race. A jackass? For sure…

Esoteric on June 25, 2013 at 9:24 PM

It depends on what you want. I suspect that I am not alone in this among non-New York residents; but I consider New York [both city and state] to be FUBAR Bravo Easy on a good day, and they have not had any good days in a couple of generations. Since it can’t be fixed, can’t be redeemed; let it catch up to Detroit in urban collapse. Who needs competence in Gracie Mansion?

There are NO competent Republicans who could even slow the slide into the black hole [not being racial there, thinking about the singularity at the center of a galaxy] even slightly. And if there were, New Yorkers would never vote for them. So all that is left is to hope that the thing crashes and burns as fast as possible. Let them elect a dyslexic, bi-polar, transgendered, left-handed, anarcho-syndicalist Imam with Al-Quada funding. Then let the games begin.

Subotai Bahadur on June 25, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Weiner will bring a new meaning to the phrase ” boning up for the debate”

David in ATL on June 25, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Weiner may actually be the best choice compared to all the other vicious clowns running, even with his wife being an agent of influence of the Muslim Brotherhood.

Travis Bickle on June 25, 2013 at 10:27 PM

1. Anything involving a 17 year old is not “pedo” by a mile.

kaltes on June 25, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I’m gonna have to disagree on a few points. Any kind of sexual talk with a high schooler or younger when you are an adult of his age and position IS predatory. It’s not always about the age either, it’s also about using your position of power and influence to get laid by someone of far less power, influence, and maturity.

Secondly, the age thing is important because you have to make libs play by their own rules. Do you think any Republican pol that had any kind of twitter contact with a 17 y/o after flashing his genitals all over twitterverse wouldn’t be raked over the coals, called a pedophile, and probably forced to register as a sex offender?? We didn’t write the rules, but we better start making the dems play by them if we ever hope to breakthrough to the LIVs.

LtBarnwell02 on June 25, 2013 at 10:44 PM

New York City Voters are fools.

Bmore on June 25, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Not too surprising given how Bloomberg went from “GOP” candidate to hardcore police state. Not too surprising given that Hatch and Rubio show themselves to be total Quislings in the supposed opposition party. Not surprising if their treachery impacted voter turnout in the Taxachusetts election either.

viking01 on June 25, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Has someone already used. A head in the race?

hawkdriver on June 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Weiner!

Moar Weiner!

juliesa on June 26, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Anthony Weiner perfectly represents the current Democratic Party and obviously should be the next Mayor of NY. Kudos to all involved!
– Dennis Miller

cptacek on June 26, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Wieners head swells at the thought of inserting himself into politics again. He’ll probably start stroking it slowly until he is more sure of himself and then he’ll pound away with the same old act.

Mimzey on June 26, 2013 at 12:30 AM

I think Rahm getting elected mayor in Chicago so easily demonstrated how good a job the Democrats do of getting people to elect who they tell them to.

*shrug*

JannyMae on June 26, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Esoteric on June 25, 2013 at 9:24 PM

What this all comes down to for the average New York City Democratic voter is “Which candidate is least likely to get me killed?”

In the Democratic primary field, all the other main candidates have vowed to gut the police reforms instituted by Rudy Giuliani in 1994, and kept in place by Bloomberg. The fact he’s kept the crime rate down is the only reason voters have put up with him for 12 years.

Bloomberg’s pick is Christine Quinn, who was the favorite, and seems to be the one Mayor Mike wants to continue his policies — a double edged sword, since while they may not want the crime rate to return to the Dinkins years, even New Yorkers want their liberals a little less overbearing, and (amazingly) Quinn has a reputation of being pushier than Anthony Weiner. And they’re the only two candidates who might actually keep the current police policies in place on the Democratic side.

In the end, the winner in this may end up being the former MTA boss and Giuliani aide Joe Lhota. After 20 years of not electing the official Democratic Party candidate to City Hall, liberal New Yorkers really want to do it. But if Weiner wins the nomination and then any new X-rated tweets come out, that’s probably Lhota’s only chance to snare the election as the Republican nominee.

jon1979 on June 26, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Perverse leaders for perverse people.

Perverts.

Sherman1864 on June 26, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Too bad he doesn’t spell his name Wiener.

Schadenfreude on June 26, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Subotai Bahadur on June 25, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Idiocracy isn’t far behind.

Cleombrotus on June 26, 2013 at 6:24 AM

Wiener credits his campaign strategy “hey little girl, want some candy?” to cause him to shoot to the top. “The solution is sticky, but, inch by inch, I got it licked and my opponents will take a pounding” Wiener adds confidently.

MaiDee on June 26, 2013 at 6:35 AM

It’s ok, they deserve him. He fits in nicely with that city.

rplat on June 26, 2013 at 6:37 AM

I said that he would win back when he got into the race because a) he’s super liberal, b) Democrat office holders are never held to any ethical or behavioral standards and c) it’s NY City.

“Forget it, Jake, it’s Chinatown New York City.”

Physics Geek on June 26, 2013 at 7:58 AM

This is good news, for two reasons. One: It’s good for blogging.

Admit it, AP. You’re going to vote for the guy, ’cause it’s guaranteed content-gold for the next eight years from NYC alone.

Alternative Headline: Weiner Blogasm countdown to commence in 3 .. 2 .. 1….

nukemhill on June 26, 2013 at 8:01 AM

It shows where their heads are at…

claudius on June 26, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Corrupt garbage to represent a corrupt people. It’s not rocket surgery. It is, however, America of 2013.

MNHawk on June 26, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Hey, why not? If Mass can elect a fake Indian who lied her way to the top, NYC should have a pervert for mayor. Can’t be any worse than what they got now. Ummm, on second thought.

Kissmygrits on June 26, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Perhaps NY thinks that he will act as a shield from further Al Qaeda harm.

Those Al Qaeda boys seem to enjoy their porn. Maybe Weiner is one of their favorite Queen’s, thus they won’t want to risk harming him.

Carnac on June 26, 2013 at 12:35 PM

The NY Post is straining at the leash, I bet.

“It’s Weiner By A Nose!”