Beware the vaportini

posted at 6:31 pm on June 23, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

Let’s close out the weekend with a bit of a palate cleanser which may not actually be all that refreshing. Kids have been trying dumb things to get a bit of a buzz since… well, probably as long as there have been kids. My generation was no exception, and I still recall all sorts of strange rumors that ran around. They included things like smoking corn silk and taking aspirin while drinking a coke. (There were worse ones I won’t repeat here.) But this weekend I saw a report on a more recent “trend” which sounded kind of strange at first and is probably hazardous enough that people should be aware of it.

People are now “smoking” alcohol.

Doctors are growing concerned over a new, potentially dangerous way young people are consuming alcohol: smoking it.

On YouTube, videos posted by young people show them inhaling wispy vapor swirls coming out of their drink bottles. Unlike drinking alcohol, where the liquid is metabolized through one’s liver, inhaling alcoholic vapors sends ethanol straight to the lungs, the blood stream and ultimately, the brain.

“Do not try this. This is extremely dangerous,” said Dr. Robert Glatter, emergency physician at Lenox Hill Hospital.

When I first saw this, particularly given the trendy sounding name “vaportini” I was immediately intrigued. Hey, it’s alcohol! And I love martinis! But the medical experts seem pretty well convinced that this is a particularly bad idea, even above and beyond the normal dangers associated with excessive alcohol consumption, drunk driving, etc. Apparently one of the chief dangers is that you can overload your system very quickly, without the normal delay as the stomach and liver process it through drinking. Also, when you drink too much, you’ll tend to vomit and expel some of the excess out. But when it’s inhaled, you can’t get rid of it like that.

Still, the inventor of the Vaportini was defending it.

Julie Palmer, the inventor of the vaportini, told NBC 4 New York her product is not intended for binge alcoholic consumption.

“Vaportini is not about getting drunk as fast as you can. It is about enjoying alcohol in a new way,” Palmer said.

Yes, I’m sure a warning like that will do the trick. It’s not like kids ever overindulge in anything bad for them, right? I mean, huffing gasoline fumes would probably be fine if you just monitored how much you were sniffing. No, this looks like a bad idea from the start, and that’s coming from somebody who is willing to try just about anything alcohol related.

Comments

I encourage all liberals to suck on a copious volume of alcohol fumes.

NotCoach on June 23, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Yay!
A new way to be stupid!

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on June 23, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Yay!
A new way to be stupid!

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on June 23, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Freedom is the freedom to be stupid.

Waiting for so-called “conservatives” to call for baning the vaportini in…

5…

4…

3…

2…

1…

gryphon202 on June 23, 2013 at 6:41 PM

When can we ban this?

aryeung on June 23, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Give me two lines of scotch!

myiq2xu on June 23, 2013 at 6:43 PM

When can we ban this?

aryeung on June 23, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Are you being sarcastic? If not, I’d say we can ban this when the people agitating for the law to be passed stop calling themselves “conservative.”

gryphon202 on June 23, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Apparently, you missed the Eyetini a/k/a Vodka H-Eye-Ball.

Resist We Much on June 23, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Which just happens to be the fastest way to get blasted.

Steve Eggleston on June 23, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Doesn’t really work. Remember a few years ago when people where using nebulizers to inhale alcohol? That was going to be huge and it died out because you can’t really get much alcohol in your system that way.

Aplombed on June 23, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Alcohol poisoning on the rise. News at 11.

lynncgb on June 23, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Aplombed on June 23, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Which reminds me – if it actually worked, brewery and distillery workers would be blasted daily.

Steve Eggleston on June 23, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I suggest we ban gryphon for not wanting to ban the vaportini! All hail conservatism!

Nethicus on June 23, 2013 at 6:50 PM

So, has anyone else considered the possibility that concentrated ethanol vapor in air could be a fuel air explosive?

I’m also not seeing how alcohol absorbed though your stomach has to take a pit stop at your liver that the stuff absorbed through your lungs doesn’t. Now, you could make the case that it takes longer to diffuse out of your stomach than out of your lungs.

Count to 10 on June 23, 2013 at 6:51 PM

When can we ban this?

aryeung on June 23, 2013 at 6:41 PM

How soon can you get this news to Bloomberg’s office?

Kafir on June 23, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I thought projectile vomiting was half the fun.

Dan_Yul on June 23, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Freedom is the freedom to be stupid.

Waiting for so-called “conservatives” to call for baning the vaportini in…

5…

4…

3…

2…

1…

gryphon202 on June 23, 2013 at 6:41 PM

I don’t know about that, but according to Bloomberg you’re not allowed to drink more than 16 oz of soda while doing this.

RalphyBoy on June 23, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Waiting for so-called “conservatives” to call for baning the vaportini in…

5…

4…

3…

2…

1…

gryphon202 on June 23, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Ummm, why would I want to ban this???

WryTrvllr on June 23, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Freedom is the freedom to be stupid.

Waiting for so-called “conservatives” to call for baning the vaportini in…

5…

4…

3…

2…

1…

gryphon202 on June 23, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Stoic Tyrant will be along soon telling us that this is just another reason why the Federal government should put surveillance cameras in every bedroom in America.

Resist We Much on June 23, 2013 at 7:00 PM

I encourage all liberals to suck on a copious volume of alcohol fumes.

NotCoach on June 23, 2013 at 6:34 PM

…I’m buying!

KOOLAID2 on June 23, 2013 at 7:00 PM

It’s like I’m walking on sunshine.

Curtiss on June 23, 2013 at 7:02 PM

I thought projectile vomiting was half the fun.

Dan_Yul on June 23, 2013 at 6:52 PM

…is there any dry-heaving involved?

KOOLAID2 on June 23, 2013 at 7:02 PM

davidk on June 23, 2013 at 6:59 PM

DUDE!

Steve Eggleston on June 23, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Julie Palmer, the inventor of the vaportini

She wants everyone to believe she invented the nebulizer? LOL

ButterflyDragon on June 23, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I thought projectile vomiting was half the fun.

Dan_Yul on June 23, 2013 at 6:52 PM

It’s all fun and games until somebody catches projectile vomit in their hair.

Then it becomes hilarious.

Steve Eggleston on June 23, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Aplombed on June 23, 2013 at 6:47 PM

No they were taking up the other end.

RickB on June 23, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Yay!
A new way to be stupid!

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on June 23, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Freedom is the freedom to be stupid.

Waiting for so-called “conservatives” to call for baning the vaportini in…

5…

4…

3…

2…

1…

gryphon202 on June 23, 2013 at 6:41 PM

You may have confused Conservative with libertarian.

FOWG1 on June 23, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Inhaling Cherry Coke doesnt seem even a quadrillionth as delicious as inbibing it…

Jeddite on June 23, 2013 at 7:10 PM

You may have confused Conservative with libertarian.

FOWG1 on June 23, 2013 at 7:08 PM

hur dur durdurdurdurdurdur.

Jeddite on June 23, 2013 at 7:10 PM

. . . i can breathe . . . beer . . .

Axe on June 23, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Count to 10 on June 23, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Good point. Also, if ignited, alcohol flames are nearly invisible in any sort of direct light, as anyone who ever used an alcohol burner or blow-lamp in a lab or glass-making will tell you. Also, alcohol has a much lower vaporization point and flash point that, say, kerosene or even gasoline. (As I learned in arson investigation, many a moon ago.)

Meaning, some semi-smart kid decides it would be totally rad to suck alky fumes while toking on a joint, or mixing said fumes with bong hits, and

Ka. F**king. Boom.

Next stop, the ER. If they’re lucky, I mean.

My crystal ball sees Darwin Awards coming out of this sort of ball.

clear ether

eon

eon on June 23, 2013 at 7:17 PM

eon on June 23, 2013 at 7:17 PM

OMG! I CAN BREATH MARIJUANA AND BEER AT ONCE!

Axe on June 23, 2013 at 7:18 PM

This chick is ready for a career in politics.

JetBoy on June 23, 2013 at 7:21 PM

I prefer to enjoy the taste of my cocktail or beer or wine whilst getting plastered.

Just glad I was able to walk away from college.

rbj on June 23, 2013 at 7:24 PM

davidk on June 23, 2013 at 6:59 PM

DUDE!

Steve Eggleston on June 23, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Wish you hadn’t called attention to it; it got by me. But now that I’ve been warped, I want to make sure everyone is too:

. . . rectal beer bongs and . . . tampons soaked in vodka . . .

Axe on June 23, 2013 at 7:25 PM

taking aspirin while drinking a coke.

I hadn’t heard this since junior high school. ;)

Wethal on June 23, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Pics of the Day: If ‘The NutRoots’ Threw A Party And Nobody Came…

Resist We Much on June 23, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Where are the “People of color?”

davidk on June 23, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Has Nanny Bloomberg been notified?

patch on June 23, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Where are the “People of color?”

davidk on June 23, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Where are the people period?

Resist We Much on June 23, 2013 at 7:34 PM

gryphon202 on June 23, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Yeah, sarcasm with a hint of realism (see the Bloomberg comment).

aryeung on June 23, 2013 at 7:35 PM

gryphon202 on June 23, 2013 at 6:44 PM

I dunno. It usually only takes one of your kids dying to knock some of that “what I take into my own body” fundamentalist bravado off.

Axe on June 23, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Alcohol poisoning on the rise. News at 11.

lynncgb on June 23, 2013 at 6:49 PM

One might think…and yet a ‘Google News’ search for alcohol poisoning vapor smoke emergency (etc text strings) produces no hits. Lots of articles warning of the dangers…but no actual reports of ‘overdose’. I’m wondering if it is as bad as suggested?

dont taze me bro on June 23, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Taking aspirin with a coke only worked during the brief time coke actually contained coke (cocaine).

I don’t know about corn silk, but smoking banana peels actually did something, I think (I never tried it). Banana peels are one of the only natural sources of serotonin and a couple other chemicals (5-HTP) that could give you a slight buzz.

The Rogue Tomato on June 23, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Waiting for so-called “conservatives” to call for baning the vaportini in…

5…

4…

3…

2…

1…

gryphon202 on June 23, 2013 at 6:41 PM

NOW I am in favour of banning it now…some self-righteous twit proceeds to tell me who and who is NOT a “Conservative.”

And yeah you’ve confused Conservative with Libertarian…..

Durr-Durr irrespective….

JFKY on June 23, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Aw c’mon gryphon202, hurry up and reiterate or straighten me out. :) Not worth it? I have some freaking out to do in the other room. That’s not weird code. Something happened today, and I’m freaking out. My life broke into before and after again.

Here, I’ll do it:

You can’t call yourself conservative if you keep trying to usurp authority over other people that you just don’t have, even if the effects are good. Either people have rights, or they don’t. Either you’re a hypocrite, or you aren’t.

. . . yeah, that . . . that’ll walk for an open.

K. I’ll be in there.

Axe on June 23, 2013 at 7:51 PM

That’s why there’s beer on the sun..

TexasJew on June 23, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Axe on June 23, 2013 at 7:51 PM

*YAWN* Sorry. I just woke up from a nap. Let me bounce this thought off you and see where it sticks:

A good law protects people from harming each other. Bad law attempts to protect people from themeslves.

Perhaps not a hard fast rule, but a pretty good benchmark when assessing an individual’s conservative cred.

gryphon202 on June 23, 2013 at 7:56 PM

I’m wondering if it is as bad as suggested?

dont taze me bro on June 23, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I hope it’s not. This sort of thing hits home for me. When I was younger I had a very dear friend that tried one of these stupid ways to get a buzz and it killed him. Young kids many times just really don’t comprehend the risks they might be taking.

lynncgb on June 23, 2013 at 7:57 PM

The Rogue Tomato on June 23, 2013 at 7:46 PM

That’s an urban legend, an “old hippie’s tale” based on a hoax article from back in the day.

whatcat on June 23, 2013 at 7:59 PM

As to the “Vaportini” itself…what a waste of time…the POINT of the Martini is debate, with your fellow martini snobs, what is the BEST martini and who makes it. All the whiles watching your favourite “entertainer” do things up on stage that are acrobatic, to say the least.

And who says we “Conservatives” are sticks in the mud?

JFKY on June 23, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Count to 10 on June 23, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Heck yes. If sugar dust has blown refineries apart like someone set off packs of C4, this will. Flammable vapor + glass container = fragmentation bomb.

And this is going to being used by people who are already stupid and making their judgement more impaired by the minute? Oy vey.

One more reason to stay the hell away from booze.

MelonCollie on June 23, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Hope the liberals do it till they drop.

TimBuk3 on June 23, 2013 at 8:07 PM

The Vaportini is a little scary….it’s like Pure Grain. I NEVER liked dealing with that stuff.

You get accustomed to drinking beer, in glasses, and even bourbon/rum and Coke, in glasses. So you kind of develop a mental map about how much is good or bad or dangerous…and things like the vaportini or pure grain short circuit that mental short hand….

What might be an Ok “dose” of gin/vodka is an extremely large/dangerous dose of pure grain and one assumes alcohol vapours.

Plus, after one or two of these, you are much more likely to be in the Champagne Room spending way too much…..or so I am led to believe. By my “friend”..yeah my friend, who had this happen to him.

JFKY on June 23, 2013 at 8:10 PM

gryphon202 on June 23, 2013 at 6:41 PM

aryeung on June 23, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Quite well coordinated… congratulations!

ExpressoBold on June 23, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Back in the 80s when I was a small-town cop, this was quite popular with wine. I once answered a DOA call to a house where the occupant thought that if it were fun with wine it would be better with vodka. It wasn’t.

photom on June 23, 2013 at 8:20 PM

There is a difference between a nebulizer which creates mist (liquid droplets) and vaporizers which put the substance in its gas state. The gas state, depending on the substance, can pass across the lung/artery interface easier than a liquid (aerosol). While the nebulizer was a bust in getting a buzz faster this vaporizer may be as good (bad) they say. That said you know the risks so go for it.

chemman on June 23, 2013 at 8:38 PM

(There were worse ones I won’t repeat here.)You licked that toad, didn’t you.

katy the mean old lady on June 23, 2013 at 8:41 PM

The Rogue Tomato on June 23, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I saw a young Airman get drunk on 16 ounces of water on the rocks because, wait for it, you gotta wait for it, he believed it was a powerful alcoholic drink he couldn’t handle. The banana peels are actually in the same category. If you believe it will affect you then it will.

chemman on June 23, 2013 at 8:42 PM

MelonCollie on June 23, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Unfortunately, you are correct. Someone will be foolish enough to allow a proper heat source (spark) to ignite the fuel/air vapor and the glass vaportini will send shards in all directions.

chemman on June 23, 2013 at 8:45 PM

A person who would waste whiskey would burn a church.

katy the mean old lady on June 23, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Count to 10 on June 23, 2013 at 6:51 PM

You are correct. The liver is not a initial pit stop. The liver is the final stop for alcohol after it has done its deed of intoxication. The liver detoxifies it so you can excrete it.

chemman on June 23, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Um… has anyone checked on Stephen Green since this gizmo came out? I’m just sayin’.

Scott P on June 23, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Scott P on June 23, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I think Green enjoys the drinking of the vodka, not only its effects.

JFKY on June 23, 2013 at 9:01 PM

My drinking days are pretty much over. But, even back when I used to tie one on on a regular basis, inhaling alcohol vapor directly into my brain, or pouring it into my freakin’ eye, would have seemed pretty far beyond the pale. I mean, jeez…

Hayabusa on June 23, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Hayabusa on June 23, 2013 at 9:54 PM

The trend of illicit drug use only gets progressively worse the longer a society goes south and/or refuses to man up and make a serious effort to stop it, not unlike illegal immigration.

Easy example: pot back in the 60′s was semi-harmless giggle weed. Now it’s been bred to be far more potent.

MelonCollie on June 23, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Just as a bit of trivia, The French Office Corps on it’s way to Moscow became worried about the dwindling supply of Brandy. They invented the “Snifter” to hold the fumes in the top of the glass so they could sniff them.

On the way back they had other worries.

There’s nothing new under the sun, just a different form.

NM Oso on June 23, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Nature continues to develop methods to cull the herd.

BobMbx on June 23, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Nature continues to develop methods to cull the herd.

BobMbx on June 23, 2013 at 11:02 PM

I’m beginning to question our constant attempts at stopping such self-culling.

Stupidity being lethal was once a very relevant reason for everything from chastity to not joining gangs to children not going where their parents told them not to.

MelonCollie on June 23, 2013 at 11:07 PM

I’m beginning to question our constant attempts at stopping such self-culling.

MelonCollie on June 23, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Beginning to?! As I explicitly stated upthread, freedom IS the freedom to be stupid. As I also explicitly stated upthread in a different post, you can generally tell the good laws from the bad in that good laws protect us from harming each other, while bad laws protect us from harming ourselves.

gryphon202 on June 23, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Waiting for so-called “conservatives” to call for baning the vaportini in…

5…

4…

3…

2…

1…

gryphon202 on June 23, 2013 at 6:41 PM

I don’t care if anyone fries their brain doing this so long as:

1) They don’t get in a car afterwards.
2) I don’t have to pay for the fallout.

This wouldn’t be an issue so long as the laws were a) strictly enforced and b) didn’t force me to pay for someone else’s medical bills.

Unfortunately a) we don’t have an administration that cares about fairly enforcing the law (and will only do so if it hurts their enemies or helps their friends) and b) Obamacare… which forces me to pay for everyone’s medical bills.

And now I have a problem with it (but what can I do)?

Chaz706 on June 23, 2013 at 11:28 PM

davidk on June 23, 2013 at 6:59 PM

For that mode of beer consumption, one would probably want to go with the bottles rather than the cans.

justltl on June 23, 2013 at 11:39 PM

But is it Halal?

Kenosha Kid on June 23, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Except libs. Libs should go with kegs.

justltl on June 23, 2013 at 11:54 PM

gryphon202 on June 23, 2013 at 7:56 PM

So what if you are harming the rest of society by being a bad influence on them? Do you have the right to be a bad influence on society?

NeverLiberal on June 24, 2013 at 12:03 AM

gryphon202 on June 23, 2013 at 7:56 PM

I’d be all in – IF indeed people didn’t so often use their freedom to damage themselves on society’s dime.

Who pays for the kid who fries his brain on this stuff? Is his care on him and his family and his insurance alone, or are we on the hook for it?

When a guy becomes invalid or dead exercising his “freedom” not to wear a motorcycle helmet, who provides for his care, and his wife and children?

As a conservative, I’m all for freedom – but not when it means I get the bill for your screw-ups. If I have to pay, you need to play by the rules I set for you.

Adjoran on June 24, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Count to 10 on June 23, 2013 at 6:51 PM

The stuff absorbed through your lungs has to go through the liver as well — eventually (the lung delivers oxygenated blood for systemic circulation). The liver is the organ that takes most of the alcohol OUT of circulation by processing deoxygenated blood — if the liver were 100% efficient, we would never get totally stewed, just a minor drunkness which would pass quickly. The liver metabolizes ethanol into several compounds which are somewhat toxic to us, and, in the case of some commonly substituted alcohols, into compounds which are extremely toxic.

The liver metabolizes the alcohol using an enzyme known as ADH. ADH is also secreted in the lining of the stomach, and some amount of alcohol is metabolized prior to passing out of the stomach into the duodenum.

It’s the alcohol that the stomach and liver does not process which causes intoxication as it passes the blood/brain barrier, lowered blood thickness, higher lipid profile, lowered heart rate, and that boozy smell which the breatholyzer measures as alcohol passes OUT of your body through the lungs.

With vaportini style absorption, there is no stomach metabolism — no way the body can try to limit the saturation of the alcohol in systemic circulation. And since the vaportini device doesn’t boil the drink, all of the alcohol in the drink is delivered into the lungs, but little of the water in the drink (I guess this is one way to see whether the bar waters the drinks).

Nobody’s done the science here. While we know that the lungs don’t metabolize any of the alcohol they absorb from the air (it gets passed into systemic circulation for the REST of the body to deal with), we don’t know how much of the alcohol from the “vaportini” wound up in your bloodstream versus being exhaled…

Personally, I’d bet (hypothesize) that a lot of alcohol from the drink gets exhaled along with the CO2 from the lungs, rendering it a rather inefficient way to get alcohol into the system vice drinking it.

But I’m a teetotaler, so these sorts of things aren’t what I spend any portion of my time doing…

unclesmrgol on June 24, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Someone mentioned projectile vomit, throw in diarrehea at the same time, nothing beats blowing out at both ends. I see lawsuits.

Drill and Fill on June 24, 2013 at 1:15 AM

NeverLiberal on June 24, 2013 at 12:03 AM

“influence” goes to the heart of freedom of speech. You have, I believe, a right to be a bad influence. Liberals use that kind of argument all the time — they still fulminate over Citizens United and the kinds of “bad influences” such freedom of speech brings…

The harming of society may occur because of acts you perform on others that move beyond mere speech. That’s why we don’t let people drink and drive — because the freedom to drink and drive often results in the deaths of other people who didn’t have a single drink before setting out on the public roadways…

I would say that people who “vaportini” ought to check out their BAC with a breathalyzer before venturing on the road… Of course, I’d say that people who have had drinks the normal way ought to as well…

unclesmrgol on June 24, 2013 at 1:18 AM

The tort lawyers are drooling at the thought of filing the first lawsuit against a business that sell a vaportini to someone who either hurts themselves or others after it.

jon1979 on June 24, 2013 at 6:37 AM

Adjoran on June 24, 2013 at 12:53 AM

But that’s a different argument than I’m making. Your argument is ultimately for restricting government power, not personal freedoms.

gryphon202 on June 24, 2013 at 7:40 AM

clear ether

eon

eon on June 23, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Your sig has never been more hilariously appropriate. :)

wearyman on June 24, 2013 at 8:54 AM

I’d like a dirty vaportini please, two olives, go extra on the dirty please.

hip shot on June 24, 2013 at 9:06 AM

unclesmrgol on June 24, 2013 at 1:12 AM

That was good.

justltl on June 24, 2013 at 9:36 AM

eon on June 23, 2013 at 7:17 PM

MelonCollie on June 23, 2013 at 8:07 PM

I was considering the issue when the combo ignites inside the person’s mouth and travels down the vapor trail to their lungs. It won’t be pretty.

GWB on June 24, 2013 at 9:42 AM

-So, a society is a group of people who either voluntarily or involuntarily associate and interact with each other.
-Societies develop rules regarding the interactions and thus the behaviors of its members. The rules can be stated or unstated, formal or informal, fixed or changing, sensical or non-sensical, consistently or capriciously applied.
-Societies also develop methods for applying those rules, which again can be anything from ill defined and loosely enforced to strictly codified and rigidly enforced.

justltl on June 24, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Crazy kids. Next thing you know they’ll be doing something really stupid like smoking banana peels…..oh, wait…I do recall somewhere in my youth spending an hour or so in the custody of a local gendarme for just such a crime.

NOMOBO on June 24, 2013 at 10:46 AM

-So, there are essentially an infinite numbers of forms that a society can assume. Obviously even a libertarian flavor of a society has a set of rules and methods of enforcement.
As far as I can tell, the rules and enforcement methods of a social structure defining itself as libertarian are pretty ill-defined and arbitrary. Not a criticism, just an observation.
-So, what is, in the mind of the individual, is an ideal society?

justltl on June 24, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Freedom is the freedom to be stupid.

Waiting for so-called “conservatives” to call for baning the vaportini in…

5…

4…

3…

2…

1…

gryphon202 on June 23, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Yep, they can be as stupid as they want to be. But as a tax payer, I have the right NOT to pay their stupid medical bills due to this ignorant waste of good booze!

boogieboy on June 24, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I, of course, have my own ideas about what would constitute an ideal society. I also have my idea of what constitutes a reasonable or at least tolerable society. In my view, the USA is very close to becoming an unreasonable and intolerable society, which fact I attribute to three entities: 1.The so-called main stream media, which I feel is now the primary determinant of the nature of our society (and which fact in itself I find intolerable); Leftism, which I personally find abhorrent and obnoxious. Obama and his handlers fit into this category.; Liberalism, which, in its current form, is a lifestyle of the childish, irrational, illogical and imbecilic. The Hollywood crowd, such as Sean Penn, Robert Redford, et al., are poster children for this segment of society.

justltl on June 24, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Adjoran on June 24, 2013 at 12:53 AM

This, unfortunately, is the pretext upon which Bloomberg believes that he can decide the maximum size of your beverage, the limit of rounds in your magazine, etc. But, it brings you nearer the foundational issue.

Government intrusion.

You want the bad results of someone else’s foolish exercise of liberty to not cost you. I’m with you on that one. But as long as there is any form of socialization to the systems which deal with the fool’s results, then everyone is paying for everyone else’s problems.

Universal healthcare is the government’s excuse to tell you what you can and cannot do, what and how much you can eat, what car you drive, where you can live, and all the rest, using your exact argument, that rules must be set as long as one person’s actions impact the economy.

Get the fed out of business, and I mean ALL business, and these other things will sort themselves out in a huge hurry. Remove the interstate restrictions on insurance companies, and force them to compete in a truly open market, and watch prices fall. Remove restrictions on the energy companies, open up the land for drilling, and watch prices fall.

I don’t even want government in the business of watch-dogging business, because they’d still use it to exert crony influence and pick winners and losers. If the federal government got out of all those things, private firms would pop up like weeds willing to independently and impartially study and report on the good and bad activities of business, and the public could pick the winners and losers honestly. Quality would rise, and prices would fall.

Freelancer on June 24, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Just a friendly reminder that there is express authority in the U.S. Constitution for state governments to regulate — even outright ban — “intoxicating liquors”. (And that constitutional authority is not derived from a tortured judicial interpretation finding a penumbra of some other amendment or anything like that. It is explicitly stated in the text of the Constitution.) So it is not exactly anti-conservative to say banning this might be a good idea.

acasilaco on June 24, 2013 at 12:27 PM

This is why God created personal injury lawyers.

No need for government regulation of this.

aurelius on June 24, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I remember in HS chemistry we made hydrogen in a flask with acid and limestone(?). Somebody decided to blow into a tube and light the hydrogen coming out another tube. Turns out there was still a lot of oxygen in the flask, and the human exhalation still contains lots of oxygen too (thus mouth-to-mouth does not result in CO2 poisoning). Hilarity did NOT ensue, but combustion did, and not just outside the flask. Everyone watching this fool caught some of the glass in the face and elsewhere, but no serious injuries.

drunyan8315 on June 24, 2013 at 1:53 PM

One of the strangest ways I have heard of to get high was in high school when a couple of people swore you could get high smoking dried banana peels! I just took their word for it…

As for this moronic idea, yes this is dangerous in several ways. First as was noted taking in alcohol in this manner does not allow the body’s system to break it down as quickly and it bypasses the bodies natural defense mechanism of being able to vomit out excess alcohol should you over indulge. But there is one more danger that I did not see mentioned and that is alcohol vapors are extremely flammable!

You’re essentially setting up for a potential flame thrower if ignited and/or bomb if the vapors are ignited while confined! This is one of the worst ideas I’ve heard of in quite a while, I’d bet lots of money this was thought up by a young liberal hipster…

Liberty or Death on June 24, 2013 at 3:00 PM

That’s why alternative methods of getting alcohol have been so risky.

Vaporizing… at least more appealing than the others.

An alcohol enema, colloquially known as butt-chugging…

I’m going to stop that one there… but I heard about it a decade or more ago; not new. And again, you can’t vomit if you overdo it.

‘Vodka eyeballing’, as it is known in student circles, is the latest drinking craze to sweep through Britain’s universities.

Reading that makes my eyes hurt…

Given the alternatives; I’d try vaporizing a shot first.

gekkobear on June 24, 2013 at 3:00 PM

acasilaco on June 24, 2013 at 12:27 PM

It is anti-conservative for the federales to jump on the ban-it bandwagon. I guaran-damn-tee you there is not a congressweasel on Capitol Hill who is going to voluntarily say, “Maybe we should just leave this to the states.”

gryphon202 on June 24, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I am a conservative and if some idiot wants to kill himself by doing this I say by all means. We need some way to thin the herd.

logicman_1998 on June 24, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Count to 10 on June 23, 2013 at 6:51 PM

As several other people answered, yes creating a “vaportini” could potentially lead to a conflagration or explosion…and this risk is even greater when you create the vapor using an open flame!

I just did a search on Google and found this clip from the National Restaurant Association trade show featuring the “Vaportini.” As someone that has been in the environmental, health and safety field for almost 30 years I couldn’t believe what I saw!

I was wondering what their heat source was to heat the alcohol to vapor and guess what I saw in the video…this moron Julie that “invented” the vaportini uses…what for it…wait for it…a candle! The vaportini this moron invented uses an OPEN FLAME (candle) to heat highly flammable alcohol…what could possibly go wrong!!!

As someone else mentioned, this “invention” is an injury lawyers wet dream come true!!

Liberty or Death on June 24, 2013 at 3:55 PM