Video: Deaf child hears father’s voice for the first time

posted at 3:11 pm on June 21, 2013 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, your feelgood video of the day. This isn’t the first video I’ve seen of someone deaf getting to hear for the first time with help from technology, but it’s the first one I’ve seen that features a child. Meet Grayson Clamp, born without cochlear nerves and therefore without a route for sound to get from his ears to his brain. His mom and dad adopted him in 2010 and made him available for an FDA trial that creates artificial cochlear nerves by sending electronic signals to the brain stem. The doctors were eager to try this on a young child because a patient whose brain is still developing might more easily assimilate a form of sensory stimulus that’s been unknown to him until now. That’s something that never occurred to me with the earlier video in which a 29-year-old woman hears for the first time: The experience is revelatory, but it must also be terrifying to an adult who’s never known sound until that moment. Hopefully little Grayson’s young enough that he’ll have no memory of a silent world before long.

No matter how high your expectations are here, I promise you won’t be disappointed.

Comments

I needed that this week. Thanks!

Jeddite on June 21, 2013 at 3:15 PM

That was great! Thanks AP for something that isn’t political and mind numbing we get daily in the news.

I hope the very best for Grayson.
L

letget on June 21, 2013 at 3:19 PM

If I’m honest, the kid didn’t seem all that impressed.

Arnold Yabenson on June 21, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Oh, that was amazing. Lucky boy.

mchristian on June 21, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Looks like teh GOP hearing voices from outside the Tea Party.

Capitalist Hog on June 21, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Hate to be a downer, but that did not seem conclusive to me. Not sure what he was responding to initially.

faraway on June 21, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Allah, I expect 16 paragraphs of conflicting scenarios layered onto hypotheticals so far fetched I forget what the issue is. Thanks for the surprise.

DanMan on June 21, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Great positive story! Pardon me….I have some dust or something in my eyes

Ditkaca on June 21, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Well, you’re welcome. Thanks for the constructive criticism.

Allahpundit on June 21, 2013 at 3:27 PM

good one Allah. Small miracles happen all the time, it’s great when they are captured on camera. Thanks

Zorro on June 21, 2013 at 3:31 PM

that was good.

rob verdi on June 21, 2013 at 3:32 PM

I’ll never understand why people who don’t like the site, or just my posts, continue to read them. I’m not complaining; every bit of traffic helps. I just don’t understand it.

Allahpundit on June 21, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Magic.

Now, square this idiot.

Schadenfreude on June 21, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Looks like teh GOP hearing voices from outside the Tea Party.

Capitalist Hog on June 21, 2013 at 3:22 PM

AllahP, while you’re at it – can you hear this Pig?

Schadenfreude on June 21, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Priceless!

De Oppresso Liber on June 21, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Nice to see.It’s not Obama,IRS,DOJ,drones,amnesty,Middle East,Hillary,RINO’s,food stamps,or stolen elections.

docflash on June 21, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Allahpundit on June 21, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Perhaps some of the critiques are just in good fun.

rob verdi on June 21, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I needed to see something happy after spending two days in jury deliberations trying to get two West Los Angeles Prius-driving liberals to agree to a guilty verdict for a violent, mentally-deranged drug addict. Thanks.

Mark1971 on June 21, 2013 at 3:38 PM

How many years has Hot Air been on line? No matter, I’ve been here everyday and enjoy my “news” in this format. You and Ed and the Hamster (and Brian way back when) have always done a great job.

Zorro on June 21, 2013 at 3:38 PM

If I’m honest, the kid didn’t seem all that impressed.

Arnold Yabenson on June 21, 2013 at 3:21 PM

faraway on June 21, 2013 at 3:23 PM

The levels are probably extremely low so that he’ll respond but won’t be terrified.

He’s around three IIRC. He and his parents have obviously been signing, but the little boy has no spoken language or any understanding of sound other than feeling vibrations through touch. He didn’t even have the “regular” cochlear implant option. This is amazing.

Stop what you’re doing right now and listen. How many sounds are around you? The air conditioner? The fan on your laptop? A radio? Birds chirping outside? A fly buzzing around you? A dog scratching and its collar jingling? Cars passing outside? The mailman raising the lid on your box?

And it’s all happening at the same time. Layers and layers of sound. This little boy gets the opportunity to hear some of it, but think of the challenge to help him understand it.

And now, if the parents are hoping he’ll speak and not just hear sound, the hard part begins. Speech-wise, he’s millions of words (and sounds) behind typical children, and the parents will be constantly talking and pointing out where sounds come from in order for him to begin to understand what he’s hearing. I’d imagine one of them has already quit a job to stay home and nurture this.

God bless you UNC and God bless these parents for adopting that child.

rogerb on June 21, 2013 at 3:39 PM

No matter what some trolls here say about this video, this will forever be an unforgettable moment for the child’s parents.

madmonkphotog on June 21, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Allahpundit on June 21, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Now you know how we feel about the trolls.

CurtZHP on June 21, 2013 at 3:44 PM

CurtZHP on June 21, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Reading that again, I feel like I came across as calling you a troll, AP. Not my meaning at all.

What I meant was that we’ll never understand why people who don’t like the site (trolls) continue to come here.

CurtZHP on June 21, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Allahpundit on June 21, 2013 at 3:33 PM

You’re certainly well-loved by us border-line trolls anyway :)

I also request you reconsider the banning of Twerp.

DarkCurrent on June 21, 2013 at 3:46 PM

rogerb @3:39.
Very good comment. Thank you!

countrybumpkin on June 21, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Allahpundit on June 21, 2013 at 3:33 PM

That’s because you approach the phenomenon as someone who seeks happiness and satisfaction. Meanwhile there’s a small but vocal minority out there who would wither and die if they didn’t have something to bitch about constantly. Thus, when they find something they hate it’s a feature, not a bug.

I have a standard response to such people, “Woohoo! I’m glad I’m not YOU!”

SoRight on June 21, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Video: Deaf child hears father’s voice for the first time

That’s awesome!

His mom and dad adopted him in 2010

That’s awesome to the infinite power!

Thanks AP, it certainly brought a tear to my eye.

rukiddingme on June 21, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Allahpundit on June 21, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I hear you.

I think the anonymous internet has killed little bits of our soul. At any rate, I love your snark, AP, and it’s part of the reason I keep coming back to Hot Air. No way you can be snarky with a video like this. That you include videos like this in your updates is another reason I keep coming back to Hot Air.

Also, I like to observe a conservative atheist beta male with a sense of humor. A rare breed, you are. :-)

I stop in daily and appreciate what you all do here. We don’t even have to pay for it!

Grace_is_sufficient on June 21, 2013 at 3:49 PM

As great as this is, now I have to somehow defend UNC-CH. Ugh.

nobar on June 21, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Allahpundit on June 21, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Perhaps some of the critiques are just in good fun.

rob verdi on June 21, 2013 at 3:38 PM

And for some, hating is all they know how to do. Without something to rag on, what would they do?

peski on June 21, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Somebody else brought it up but couldn’t we just hit Twerp on the knuckles with a heavy ruler and let her come back?
I’m sure she’ll behave after that.

countrybumpkin on June 21, 2013 at 3:53 PM

God bless his adoptive parents!

itsnotaboutme on June 21, 2013 at 3:54 PM

rogerb on June 21, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Yes & amen.

itsnotaboutme on June 21, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I’m sure she’ll behave after that.

countrybumpkin on June 21, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Why was twerp banished?

changer1701 on June 21, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Allahpundit on June 21, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Don’t listen to ‘em, Allah! You just do what you do!

Kensington on June 21, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Why was twerp banished?

changer1701 on June 21, 2013 at 3:57 PM

When H2O runs down your back.

Schadenfreude on June 21, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I’m sure she’ll behave after that.

countrybumpkin on June 21, 2013 at 3:53 PM

AP, please review the case with your colleagues.

Consider, what would Liu Bei do?

DarkCurrent on June 21, 2013 at 4:10 PM

It you! this here! wow! you! YOU!

You don’t see that? It’s so sweet it could break your heart.

And now go and make noise, a joyful noise.

bour3 on June 21, 2013 at 4:18 PM

When H2O runs down your back.

Schadenfreude on June 21, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Ah…I saw that comment, and wondered if that did it.

changer1701 on June 21, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Awww, what an awesome site! A beautiful thing to see.

Thanks AP, I certainly needed that.

bluefox on June 21, 2013 at 4:22 PM

If I’m honest, the kid didn’t seem all that impressed.

Arnold Yabenson on June 21, 2013 at 3:21 PM

To him, it might not have been any different than any of the dozens of new sensations that kids are constantly be introduced to at that age.

blink on June 21, 2013 at 4:05 PM

It looked to me as if he was a little overwhelmed. He seemed to retreat to his little book. After a minute or two (maybe because it didn’t correlate to anything), he might have considered it a distraction. He still seemed a bit tense, though.

blink on June 21, 2013 at 4:02 PM

I agree that would have been a better approach. It’s obvious he has no idea of the directional quality of sound (which a hearing child gets soon after birth, I think – maybe before).

Since folks here mention people who just can’t see the good in things…. How long before some militant deaf cries signs that this is child abuse? There is a very small but vocal strong minority among the deaf that want to know why we would want to change this little boy from the way God made him……. *shakes head*

GWB on June 21, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Beautiful video

But as someone who knows sign language and really respects the Deaf community, deafness isn’t something that needs to be “cured” it’s a real culture that has a truly beautiful language

NerwenAldarion on June 21, 2013 at 4:35 PM

AP, please realize that many of us LOVE your 16 paragraphs of conflicting scenarios. I usually find them enlightening time savers.

blink on June 21, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Second that, and I’m even taking the trouble to type on an iPad to say this. Oh, and the baseball posts are great too.

Waggoner on June 21, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Looks like teh GOP hearing voices from outside the Tea Party.

Capital Hogbreath on June 21, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Leftists really are scum.

Solaratov on June 21, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Awesome, had to watch it twice.

tommer74 on June 21, 2013 at 4:48 PM

100% Wonderful.

aquaviva on June 21, 2013 at 5:07 PM

As an interesting contrast to this, my brother and his wife are deaf as are two of his four children. And they and their friends are vehemently against this type of thing. I was in disbelief of this but they explained that it feeds the assumption that deaf people are broken and need to be fixed and they hate that perception. I disagreed with them and pointed out the things my brother had missed because of his lack of hearing but he was adamant that he would not want this done to him and his kids. Th eother side of the coin that I never would have considered.

The Opinionator on June 21, 2013 at 5:45 PM

rogerb
Fantastic ,

superdave on June 21, 2013 at 5:45 PM

whoa and hey, I ducked out and came back to this? Sorry Allah! you and Ace are the best political gamers on earth. My jest was taken far too seriously but I will submit to having a thousand flees from your camel infest my crotch while drinking cheap warm beer as my penitence.

Have a good weekend and keep up the great work. My regret for the insult is sincere and the video was much appreciated.

DanMan on June 21, 2013 at 5:51 PM

“Dad… Dude… I’m trying to read here, huh?”

Awesome.

turfmann on June 21, 2013 at 6:50 PM

You wonder how many more of these medical miracles we have left. After all the company that developed this technology probably want to patent it, and after a year or two, they’ve made enough money. /

Marcus on June 21, 2013 at 6:53 PM

As a cochlear implant recipient (from UNC btw) and one who had hearing/language skills before the progressive degeneration, let me explain what the early sounds were like….. recall the Charlie Brown animations with the teacher/adult voices? Whaa waa wwhhaa …. yet eventually with lots of fine tuning by the UNC implant team (and lots of reading along to audiobooks) I was able train my brain to correctly translate sounds, until following along most conversations now fairly easily and at a very high rate of comprehension– infinitely better than a hearing aid. This child has far more work ahead of him, but I am truly happy for him. (And no, the American Sign Language is far inferior in its ability to convey complexities and subtleties of language, so while it may be of some help, it is not equal or more desirable.)

Deb on June 21, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Because they wish they understood them?

Reading your stuff takes a little extra effort sometimes, but the payoff is outstanding. Don’t change a thing, yo.

mrsknightley on June 21, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Sadly, there’s been a DMCA takedown on the video…

unclesmrgol on June 21, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Try this one. I doubt Mail Online can take this one down because it’s from the source — UNC.

unclesmrgol on June 21, 2013 at 7:45 PM

People go too far with this copyright garbage. I agree copyrights need protected.. but some of this is just plain mean and greedy.

JellyToast on June 21, 2013 at 7:46 PM

DanMan on June 21, 2013 at 5:51 PM

1000 comments or bust!

unclesmrgol on June 21, 2013 at 7:49 PM

cheap warm beer

Shut your mouth. That’s just too high a price for anyone to pay (my literary crush on Allah notwithstanding).

mrsknightley on June 21, 2013 at 8:18 PM

What a cutie!!!! You to AP!!

Cindy Munford on June 21, 2013 at 8:24 PM

JellyToast on June 21, 2013 at 7:46 PM

You are way off base here. I recommend researching topics before you spill forth with such utter nonsense. You’re complaining about your own rights, you know? You’d apparently be open to ignoring IP ownership for the sake of a feelgood moment. You are a joke.

Rights holders are required to protect their copyrights, trademarks and/or patents. Every time an owner ignores any violation they are risk their IP.

Perhaps if you created something on your own you could relate. Protect your intellectual property like you protect your credit history.

Capitalist Hog on June 21, 2013 at 8:34 PM

DanMan on June 21, 2013 at 5:51 PM

It was taken too seriously by AllahP, not by people like me – I thought your initial comment was hilarious, besides being accurate! :)

Well, you’re welcome. Thanks for the constructive criticism.

Allahpundit on June 21, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Oh, boo hoo!

Allahpundit on June 21, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Why did you interpret DanMan’s comment so negatively – do you believe it’s impossible to believe both that your writing sometimes is convoluted & reveals navel-gazing/beta/OCD tendencies, and that you are a good, smart, humorous & entertaining writer as well?

C’mon, AllahP, lighten up a little! :)

Anti-Control on June 22, 2013 at 5:07 AM

The Opinionator on June 21, 2013 at 5:45 PM

You are right, and they are disgustingly wrong…if they weren’t created with the idea of hearing in mind, why do they even have ears in the first place?

People like that suffer from extremely selfish, delusional/unhealthy thinking…

Anti-Control on June 22, 2013 at 5:30 AM

Where are all of our pro-abortion, pro-farm bill/food stamp, pro-Obamacare treatment rationing folks, btw?

Seems like there would be some great points to be made on this topic. I mean, just think of how many perfectly healthy twenty year olds could be fed with the cost of this child’s single surgery…

rogerb on June 22, 2013 at 8:29 AM

The Opinionator on June 21, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I’m sorry, but it sounds like your brother and his friends have sought refuge from their internal hurts and hangups by declaring their deafness to be a jewel-studded virtue.

That line sounds almost exactly like what I hear from some sexual deviants frantically denying that they’re off the path of normality and they know it – “I don’t NEED to be ‘fixed’, I like being (fill in the blank)!”

Being deaf means by its very definition that one of your five senses is broke. Bee Are Oh Kay Eee, broke. And for most of human history if you were born that way you would stay that way until the day you died. The fact that this is no longer true is a testament to the incredible advances we’ve made.

We should all be rejoicing that God has granted us the brains to bring a ray of hope to what was an incurable, untreatable disability…instead of trying to hide from it like a bunch of Amish farmers who can’t deal with the modern world.

MelonCollie on June 22, 2013 at 9:06 AM

For those, like me, who got to this after the video was taken down, here is the link to the original story.

boone on June 22, 2013 at 10:11 AM

If you offered me a sixth sense, then I would immediately accept it even if such acceptance fed the assumption that people with only five senses were broken.

blink on June 23, 2013 at 4:50 PM

As would I, with very little hesitation.

MelonCollie on June 23, 2013 at 8:34 PM