Quotes of the day

posted at 9:01 pm on June 21, 2013 by Allahpundit

Asked on Fox News whether he sides with those two senators and Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) or opponents of the immigration bill like Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), Huckabee chose the former.

“I’d say probably the Rubio, Corker, Hoeven [side],” Huckabee said…

He also said he doesn’t like the idea of so-called triggers that would allow illegal immigrants a path to citizenship once certain border security requirements are met.

“You don’t just wait and do nothing on the pathway process while you’re working on the fencing,” he said. “And let’s be clear: We’re never going to have 100 percent border security. There’s always somebody who’s going to find a way to break into the system.”

***

“I like what I see today, as long as it doesn’t change,” said Sen. Dean Heller (R-Nev.), who has signed on as a co-sponsor of the amendment and is considered a swing vote for the bill. Another co-sponsor is Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-N.H.), who’s already said she would vote for the overall legislation.

It’s not just undecided Republicans who might be more inclined to vote for the immigration bill with the Corker-Hoeven deal.

West Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin, who has repeatedly broken from his party on border measures since floor debate began last week, told POLITICO that Thursday’s agreement makes the immigration bill “very much more palatable.” Arkansas Sen. Mark Pryor has also expressed concerns about border security and has been talking with Corker and Hoeven about their plan…

“We’ve already had quite a few sign up as co-sponsors,” Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said. “That would give us momentum and a significant number of votes to convince our colleagues on the other side of the Capitol that this is a worthwhile endeavor.”

***

From one perspective, immigration restrictionists are correct. In the current political atmosphere — the atmosphere they helped to create — immigrants who become citizens will be deeply suspicious of Republicans. So are current voters who have ties to or sympathy for immigrant communities. The problem is this: While killing immigration reform may slightly extend the viability of the current Republican political coalition, it may seriously undermine the attempt to adjust it…

This won’t be enough. While appealing to Hispanic voters is not like appealing to Manhattanites — it doesn’t involve the abandonment of social conservatism — it does require a populist economic agenda. Recent immigrants are naturally concerned about a working social safety net, a working public education system and a working job-training system. Republicans will need to offer serious reform proposals in these areas. And this requires a positive, active, market-oriented role for government that competes with more centralized and bureaucratic Democratic approaches.

***

RUSH LIMBAUGH: Now, again, it’s the New York Times, so you have to take that under advisement. But the New York Times says Republicans are deeply involved, but they don’t want you to know it. They don’t want to admit it because they want to prove the White House is not pulling the strings. But the White House is! This is a “stealth” White House operation. The Hoeven-Corker amendment could well be an Obama administration idea submitted in this war room and then two senators were cherry-picked to put their names on it.

I don’t know that that’s the case, but this story in the New York Times makes it entirely possible. The New York Times story says that some Republicans, quote, “are so eager to prove that the White House is not pulling the strings that their aides say the administration is not playing any role at all,” and they point to a spokesman for Marco Rubio. A spokesman for Rubio has denied that the president’s involved in this at all. So, look, I can only tell you what the New York Times is saying.

It’s up to you whether you want to believe it or not. The New York Times, essentially, is saying here that Obama and the White House are pulling Rubio’s strings.

***

“I think the Republican House was put on this earth to save us from huge pieces of comprehensive legislation like this that I think are not well designed, would not work well. If we want to solve particular parts of the immigration problem, we can solve them. We can have more high-tech workers, if you want. We could have more guest workers for agriculture, if that’s necessary. We could legalize the people who are here. This 1,000-page bill, which is now probably 1,100 page bill–and much more expensive bill–because of this amendment, is not a good idea,” said the boss.

***

While Romney captured the nomination, even then many conservatives never truly trusted him. Rubio could face something similar. Tweets with “Rubio” and “traitor” and “RINO” are already popping up with regularity.

Also, Romney was able to finesse the [RomneyCare] issue by saying he was against big, bad federal mandates, not state ones. It’s difficult to see how Rubio could do a Romney on this one. He can’t resort to the federal-state differences when it comes to providing a path to citizenship.

Whichever path he takes, Rubio can be certain that he will continue to be hammered by conservatives who actually took his 2010 words at face value when he said he always had and always would oppose what they call “amnesty.”

***

***

Note that McCain said [at CPAC in 2008] that border security should come first, before “other aspects” of immigration policy were considered, implying that both should not be handled in the same piece of legislation. McCain appeared to understand that the American public did not trust the federal government to secure the border at the same time that it offered legal status to illegal aliens, based on the lessons of past rounds of immigration reform…

Perhaps McCain does not feel bound by promises made in the course of a lost campaign. But his statements to CPAC were not just about the policies he would pursue. They were also about lessons he had learned, about his state of mind regarding the issue. On Thursday, McCain acknowledged that there was “understandable skepticism” about immigration reform. Clearly he is no longer skeptical–if, indeed, he ever truly had been.

***

Yeah, that’s why the patriotic House members position has got to be until the Senate is in Republican hands — preferably Rubio-free, sorry — we’re not going to pass a bill that mentions immigration. And you should know that John Boehner secretly wants to pass amnesty because his idiot consultants are telling him, ‘Oh, it’s going to be a great boon for Republicans, having 30 million voters who will never vote for a Republican.’

But they need fig leafs, like this amendment in the Senate today. It’s an utter fig leaf to pretend like this is going to secure the border. What, one border agent every 1,000 yards? All this is, is more government workers, more pensions. It doesn’t shore up the border. It’s a fig leaf to allow Republicans who want amnesty but don’t want their voters to punish them. Punish them, voters.

Skip to 3:40.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 7 8 9

Always fight the good fight!

It always matters.

: )

workingclass artist on June 22, 2013 at 2:20 AM

A man does what he must – in spite of personal consequences, in spite of obstacles and dangers and pressures – and that is the basis of all human morality.

Winston Churchill

Solaratov on June 22, 2013 at 10:59 AM

A world without borders.

That is where the Ruling Class and its current lead salesman are taking us.

Where government becomes EVERYTHING.

It’s intolerant, tyrannical and has been tried countless times before.

Obama is our generations Nimrod.

PappyD61 on June 22, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Sadly as long as everyone has their sports to watch and BBQ grills, many of the electorate don’t care. Many of the people I talk with don’t know anything about Benghazi, IRS targeting, DOJ snooping, Obama voting against infanticide etc. If I wasn’t a part of this nation, I would almost say they get what they deserve. Frustrating.

LaughterJones on June 22, 2013 at 11:14 AM

How hard can it be to read your own website,, and understand the sentiment being screamed out loud by those that populate it?
Is it arrogance or ignorance?

wolly4321 on June 22, 2013 at 11:15 AM

No and oddly on topic for a lot of it. Look out, we must really be p.o.’d.

Cindy Munford on June 22, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Yes, we are p.o.’d!

They are all lying with this “Defacto amnesty” bull. The GOP has lost its teeny mind over this.

This is about importing another army of low paid socialists which will destroy our economy, crush the middle class and guarantee a socialist majority in power for a long time.

Schumer, Zero and Reid must be having a great time just considering the possibilities.

dogsoldier on June 22, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I want to defend you & what you are getting at here, though. I do believe that you are a patriot – I just wish you were (a lot!) more socially mature in how you presented your thoughts & opinions…
Anti-Control on June 22, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I will try to improve. Look, sometimes I don’t know who is who in the comments. I just go off on whomever and I hope people don’t take it personally. I have my iPhone with me at all times and do all my commenting from it. Whenever I have a spare moment I check the site. Right now I am laying down. Too much information, I know. Sometimes I’m reading a post and I just want to respond. I get so pissed off reading this stuff and I forget there are actual people behind all these names sometimes.

bluegill on June 22, 2013 at 11:25 AM

dogsoldier on June 22, 2013 at 11:19 AM

And all the help they are getting from Republicans, I bet they can barely keep a straight face.

Cindy Munford on June 22, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Cindy Munford on June 22, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Yes, I bet you’re right.

dogsoldier on June 22, 2013 at 11:43 AM

workingclass artist on June 22, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Have you found the text of the amendment anywhere?

dogsoldier on June 22, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Yes indeed,, there are people behind these names bluegill,…

Ed…

Twerp..

We all have names.

wolly4321 on June 22, 2013 at 11:50 AM

It is a “Two Party Evil Money Cult”.

They group together to cut cost of re-election to gain total power over U.S. and it is working.

It does not matter which issue they sell U.S. out for, what matters is they have sold out the Constitution and the Rule of Law.

We have a hold on the Republican Party here in Texas now, the RINO’s are re-grouping and will make a run at it once more.

All others in all states must find a way to follow out pattern here in Texas. It was not easy and it took 14 or more years.

If it was easy we would not be in this shape.

We can not sit and sulk and blame the MSM, other Americans, bitch at one another on blogs like this.

Actions are a must. Tea Party or just getting in the meetings of your precicent after each election and get conservatives voted in at that lowest level and stay at it to the RNC level.

We must not give in on inch on any thing now. Fight for the constitution, the rule of law and keep it as simple as possible.

The msm, the RNC, and the RINO’s will now attack Ted Cruz and try to cut him off from money, TV time, interviews ect.. They will try to get him to make a mistake or call a simple error “a racist comment”.

It will get ugly and many will be hurt in the fight, jobs lost, even family fights and brothers and sisters divided hard on this.

It must be done.

It is our war with the evil within, the fight is with ideas one on one, millions on millions.

They can fight a slow deal as they have the ball on the 20 yard line now.

We on the other hand do not even have a full team on the field and some on the field now do not even listen to the signal calls or make ready with the ball is in the air.

Do not back down, or even look to see if there is room to back up a bit. If you do you will see nothing behind U.S. but black empty space of the void.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on June 22, 2013 at 12:02 PM

wolly4321 on June 22, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Ed is out of the country so I don’t know how involved he is in moderation.

Cindy Munford on June 22, 2013 at 12:04 PM

read the comments after http://minx.cc/?post=341095

davidk on June 22, 2013 at 12:12 PM

bluegill on June 22, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Cool. :)

Axe on June 22, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Actually,, that’s a good post Bluegill.

On the other note, Ed responded to my email about Twerp. It wasn’t him. He may listen.

I asked him, email her tell her don’t use that term.

wolly4321 on June 22, 2013 at 1:00 PM

bluegill on June 22, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I’m sure we are all guilty of that. Generalization is never effective because no matter how much you agree with certain people, there will always be one or two issues where you are a million miles apart. You have to be okay with that.

Cindy Munford on June 22, 2013 at 1:00 PM

wolly4321 on June 22, 2013 at 1:00 PM

How about updating the filters to include words that might get used in the heat of an immigration argument.

Cindy Munford on June 22, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Anyone remember flatfoot? “Saw” him today, you’ll be glad to know that he’s still nuts.

Cindy Munford on June 22, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Fuck you Rubio POS!

ronsfi on June 22, 2013 at 1:42 PM

ronsfi on June 22, 2013 at 1:42 PM

LOL! Don’t hold back, tell him how you really feel!!!!

Cindy Munford on June 22, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I don’t think we need filters. Especially ones that ban a wiki entry of operation wb. It happened.

We filter history?

wolly4321 on June 22, 2013 at 2:14 PM

A good number of you sheeple, despite all your “This time I really mean it! I’m leaving the Republican Party!” will fall in line and (once again) vote for Team R in 2014 and 2016. Romney was the last RINO I voted for.

Decoski on June 22, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Decoski on June 22, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Maybe but according to Byron York, a 4% increase in the white vote would have elected Romney, so it doesn’t take many to stay at home to make difference.

Cindy Munford on June 22, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Decoski on June 22, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Cindy Munford on June 22, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I’m not seeing much ‘difference’ in voting for the GOP anymore, frankly.

Midas on June 22, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Hi Cindy,

I tend to agree with your opinion of my suggestion but we can’t just sit back, talk it to death and do nothing. Have to at least try to slow them down if nothing else. So, what would they do if we want Town Hall meetings but it is too much for them to manage?? I suggest we give them the choice of holding their own meetings or we’ll organize groups and show up (unannounced) at their offices so they can answer our questions their. Oh, and tell them we’ll be bring the press with us….that always gets their attention. It’s called playing dirty and I’m starting to enjoy it. At least I’ll feel as though I’m doing something. And these assholes hate anything that they don’t have control over. Keep them off balance!

MONACO1121 on June 22, 2013 at 4:02 PM

God Bless Senator Jeff Sessions!! I didn’t see this yesterday.

Sessions: Border Security Amendment Would Not Hire Agents Until 2017
Sessions said the border security provisions are “designed” to be ineffective in a press release sent out Friday evening:

It is permanent lawlessness. Joined with existing language that restricts future enforcement, it guarantees unending illegal immigration.

According to the National Association of Former Border Patrol Agents, this hiring process could take up to 20 years.

The Gang has repeatedly claimed their bill is completely paid for by fees. However, under the Schumer-Corker-Hoeven amendment, the American taxpayers are on the hook for $38 billion.

(This is what happens when no one reads the bill or this Amnesty Amendment)

More here: http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/06/21/Sessions-on-Corker-Hoeven-Amdt-New-Border-Agents-Won-t-Start-To-Be-Hired-Until-2017

And there is more in another article!!! Details to follow in next post.

bluefox on June 22, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Source: Reid, Amnesty Proponents Made Handwritten Changes to Bill

A Republican Senate aide told Breitbart News that handwritten changes that have yet to be distributed to Senate offices have been added to the immigration bill.

Examples of these edits to the bill can be seen below:

(You’ll have to look at the article to see that ) ( I wonder how many more of these handwritten changes have been added and no Senators are even aware of this!!!!)

bluefox on June 22, 2013 at 7:43 PM

MONACO1121 on June 22, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Gosh, I am so sorry it took me so long to wander back. I like your idea of visiting their offices if they don’t have townhalls. We would need to be careful since they have multiple offices and probably would interact with staff for than the Congress critter. I wonder if press would come if staff is all that is available and we certainly don’t want to be anything but kind and respect to them.

Cindy Munford on June 22, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Cindy Munford on June 22, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Good idea. Maybe check with a local Tea Party to see if they are going.

I wonder if any of our State Reps/Senators would have any suggestions. Mine are very helpful. I called my State Senator on that Medicaid Expansion and asked his aide if he was against it or for it. He said oh, he’s against it, he filed with the 26, LOL

bluefox on June 22, 2013 at 8:22 PM