Video: “The Wolf of Wall Street” trailer

posted at 7:21 pm on June 20, 2013 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate. One of the commenters at YouTube calls this “Great Gatsby meets cocaine.” True. It’s even got the requisite shot of DiCaprio raising his glass to avaricious excess to get the “pride goeth before a fall” ball rolling. I think it’s more like “GoodFellas” meets “Wall Street,” which should clue you in to who the director is if you haven’t guessed already. As in those flicks, this one’s all about a young, brash, charismatic guy getting rich through sociopathic behavior and then being destroyed by it. In theory it’s a morality tale about greed and ruthlessness, but just as mob movies have mutated over time from treating gangsters as villains to treating them as glamorous antiheroes, you’ll probably walk out of this one thinking that Leo’s exploits, on balance, were pretty rad. The trailer’s designed to make you drool over the sets, the costumes, and of course the cast, and the dwarf-toss scene looks like it’s played strictly for laughs. Watching it, I wondered how Taxi Driver-era Scorsese would have shot it. It’s a long way from the unnerving realism of De Niro putting a bullet in Harvey Keitel’s stomach in TD to the ballet of people being hung on meat hooks to the coda of “Layla” in “GoodFellas.” But whatever. Given the ingredients, this movie can’t not be fun.

Comments

I’ll pass.

Electrongod on June 20, 2013 at 7:23 PM

To cleanse the palate

Especially after y’all annoying twerps put the bad taste in there to start with.

cozmo on June 20, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Sounds like a nice love story.

Capitalist Hog on June 20, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Since this takes place in the 90′s, I could hear probably a Duran Duran “Come undone”, or Jesus Jones “Right here, right now”, or Tom Petty’s “Running down a Dream”.

portlandon on June 20, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Watching it, I wondered how Taxi Driver-era Scorsese would have shot it.

How do you think he would have shot it, AP?

Blake on June 20, 2013 at 7:32 PM

I’ll pass also.

fabrexe on June 20, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Stale stuff.

Think Hollywood will ever make a morality tale about the perversity of control-freak Progressivism and what happens when an Ivy League wunderkind social engineer destroys the life of a decent freedom-loving man whom his agency legally terrorizes, smears and ruins, before the young Progressive has a soul-searching reckoning and embraces traditional Americanism and turns around and tries to bring down the imperious Marxist messiah who’d misled him and countless other young people?

Didn’t think so either.

rrpjr on June 20, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Sounds like a nice love story.

Capitalist Hog on June 20, 2013 at 7:25 PM

…for hogs!

KOOLAID2 on June 20, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Looks pretty cool to me. The movie is based on a real-life white collar crook. It is probably going to be a morality tale about misusing power and getting yourself into immoral behavior.

btw, I believe they actually did do dwarf tossing.

Frank T.J Mackey on June 20, 2013 at 7:37 PM

So is this is a bio-pic about AP before he went bald and burned out of Wall St?

Lance Murdock on June 20, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Yanno, I spent some money on The Great Gatsby (treated my daughters and their friends), fool me once…

I just can’t stomach Leo. I find him creepy.

Fallon on June 20, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Oh good, I’m getting the Chinese writing on the side again… Talk about creepy.

Yes, I’ve run both of my anti-virus programs… Nothin’.

Fallon on June 20, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I’d like a movie sometime about Wall Street and the good people who make its wheels turn.

thebrokenrattle on June 20, 2013 at 7:41 PM

The book is worth reading….not sure if the movie will live up to it.

Ditkaca on June 20, 2013 at 7:42 PM

In part 2 they can all have jobs in the Obama administration.

WisCon on June 20, 2013 at 7:50 PM

As bad as Wall Street is, the people suffer even more when you add government corruption.

When is Bill O’Reilly releasing his next book, Killing Mortgage Underwriting — the story of the 2000 to 2009 federal easy credit housing bubble and how it destroyed the economy .

Maybe it isn’t O’Reilly…

IlikedAUH2O on June 20, 2013 at 7:58 PM

This looks infinitely better than the Great Gatsby did. And it’s Scorsese!!

And man, I feel bad for the people who can’t get past “liberal views this and that” when it comes to entertainers? What do you guys do for entertainment then? Listen to Jon Voight reads Atlas Shrugged on repeat…

nextgen_repub on June 20, 2013 at 8:08 PM

And it’s Scorsese!!

DiCaprio is no DeNiro and Pesci, Scorsese or no Scorsese. I can’t stand him and Scorsese has not changed that in every thing he’s cast him in. And Scorsese even got a decent believable performance out of Sharon Stone!

Marcus on June 20, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Because we need more movies that make “the rich” look like lunatics.

Warner Todd Huston on June 20, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Meh. Looks rather dumb. I hate to say it, but Scorsese needs to stick with what he knows: Italian gangster flicks or New York street life flicks. Whenever he veers outside of those genres, he sucks. I’ll probably give this a watch if it comes on Netflix instant streaming, but I might turn it off in the middle. In general though, at least McConaughey seems to be upping his game of late. Anyone else been noticing that? Anyone see ‘The Paper Boy’?

I love a well-made Wall Street movie, it’s a great genre. But it’s a hard genre to do right. This trailer doesn’t get my hopes up. The best Wall Street movie that I’ve seen recently is ‘Margin Call.’ Anyone seen that? Pretty cool I thought.

WhatSlushfund on June 20, 2013 at 8:34 PM

This is NOT “the Wolf of Wall Street”. The Wolf of Wall Street is Jack Gates.

unclesmrgol on June 20, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Not interested..

Anything DiCaprio ends up looking like someone took a little girl and put her in a 6 foot suit as some kinda weird April’s fool joke.

celt on June 20, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Is this the sequel to Gatsby?

rickv404 on June 20, 2013 at 9:21 PM

yawn.

8thAirForce on June 20, 2013 at 9:48 PM

What’s this another attempt to rile up the 47%?

Oxymoron on June 20, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Well, given that Martin Scorsese directed the former and Oliver Stone the latter, it’s got to be one of them.

MadisonConservative on June 20, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Margin call was great. Jeremy Irons’ monologue in the board room was brilliant…and more or less true about the financial crisis moment of Sept 08.

“The Wolf of Wall Street” has interesting potential — everything depends on which Scorsese shows up: the one of “Casino”…or “Shutter Island” (cringe).

I’ve long been surprised no one ever tried to make a film out of Michael Lewis’s “Liar’s Poker.” I thought that was tailor-made for the movies.

Robert_Paulson on June 20, 2013 at 10:38 PM

This is NOT “the Wolf of Wall Street”. The Wolf of Wall Street is Jack Gates.

unclesmrgol on June 20, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Wow. I’m glad I’m not the only one who’s seen Delirious.

Cheers to obscure John Candy references!

JimLennon on June 20, 2013 at 10:39 PM

What’s this another attempt to rile up the 47%?

Oxymoron on June 20, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Of course.

Because we need more movies that make “the rich” look like lunatics.

Warner Todd Huston on June 20, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Yes, and think about it-does anything really say “Excesses of Capitalism™” better than a dwarf-tossing scene?!?

Symbolism that REALLY MAKES YOU THINK. That Scorsese sure is a genius!!!

Yawn.

It’s been all downhill since Raging Bull.

Dreadnought on June 20, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I’M KING OF THE WORLD!!!!

Crash… blub blub blub…

(Been there, done that)

Marcola on June 21, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Given the ingredients, this movie can’t not be fun.

Somebody call the grammar police. What is a double negative doing in this article?

Conservative Samizdat on June 21, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Less Than Zero was better.

tom daschle concerned on June 21, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I don’t know why commenters are hating on Leo. I think he’s great. Although, the fact that I’m a hot supermodel may have something to do with it.

Speaking of Jonah Hill, I saw “This is the End” recently and it’s hilarious!

HellCat on June 21, 2013 at 8:16 PM