Video: Bill O’Reilly endorses immigration bill with Hoeven-Corker amendment

posted at 10:01 pm on June 20, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

From “The O’Reilly Factor” tonight, advocates of the bill are already touting it.

Bottom line: O’Reilly is on board with the idea of a need for immigration reform to fix the current system and buys that Hoeven-Corker gives the necessary security measures to make that reform effective. I’m in a similar boat in that I’m in favor of reform, in the abstract, but I’m unconvinced Hoeven-Corker or much else about this bill gives assurances that it will do much of what it advertises beyond mass legalization. The CBO report on the bill (pre Hoeven-Corker) admits it would only stop 25 percent of illegal immigration and would leave some 3.5 million illegal immigrants already here ineligible for legalization. I’m unclear on how this is a solution to the problems presented by the status quo if we end up with 11 million people “living in the shadows” again in 10 years. That sounds, well, just like the status quo.

Here’s Bill:

O’Reilly and Laura Ingraham then get into it over the bill. Enjoy!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

mr_west on June 21, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Crimoney! Can’t you people read? The remarks you object to are those in response to criticism of the expansion of the LEGAL H1b visa program. If Mexico does not produce qualified applicants (an absurd notion BTW based on racism and ignorance and nothing else), then their immigration totals will not increase as a result of the expansion of H1b’s.

MJBrutus on June 21, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I would like to see an immigration bill that bans immigration from rogue states i.e Iran, Somalia, Egypt, Libya, Syria, etc. The only exception would be asylum with a high test for proof of that. It would declare that persons who have come to America illegally or have over stayed their VISA and are now here are illegally; the only path to legality for these people is to return to their homeland and attempt come here in the future on a legal basis.

Dasher on June 21, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Dasher on June 21, 2013 at 11:47 AM

My primary care physician happens to be from Iran. He is a decent person who has skills that are highly in demand in this nation. I would hate to think (for his sake and ours) that a person like him would be barred entry into the US and be unable to escape the awful regime he left.

MJBrutus on June 21, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Dasher on June 21, 2013 at 11:47 AM

If they came here once, illegally, why offer them a do-over?

This ain’t T-ball.

Consequences for actions/choices.

coldwarrior on June 21, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Asylum…sure…last best hope…and we need the talent. Other than “rogue” nations from where would asylum seekers come? Canada? UK? Australia?

coldwarrior on June 21, 2013 at 11:52 AM

O’Reilly is a Loudmouth Harvard J@ck@$$.
The Gangbang of Eight Criminal Citizenship, Open Border Bill’s sole purpose is to screw the American taxpayer.
The bunk about getting them “out of the shadows” and “defacto amnesty” is all smoke.
It’s all about the votes.
III

dirtengineer on June 21, 2013 at 11:54 AM

coldwarrior on June 21, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I’m not able to follow you. Asylum seekers are OK in your book but not others from rogue regimes. How do you propose to go about differentiating those from such regimes who are asylum seekers and those who aren’t?

MJBrutus on June 21, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I’m sorry MJ, I forgot to add the sarcasim mark.

No, I am not rasicst. Secondly, I’m not adverse to the LEGAL immigration to the UNITED STATES.

Does that clear it up?

mr_west on June 21, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Have you called your Senator yet? Call the state (not DC) office now.

visions on June 21, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Hey Bill! I got a better idea. How ’bout we close the borders for two years while we ‘fix’ what’s broken with the immigration system?

TimBuk3 on June 21, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Does that clear it up?

mr_west on June 21, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I am sincerely sorry for using the ‘R’ word. It is played far too often and on far too little pretense. It is almost always played dishonestly. I’m sorry and withdraw that.

MJBrutus on June 21, 2013 at 12:04 PM

MJBrutus on June 21, 2013 at 11:59 AM

One cannot be granted asylum if one is from a friendly nation.

One may be granted a hardship visa, perhaps…but asylum is limited to those from rogue or hard target nations seeking to come here.

Other than rogue nations as Iran, North Korea, Cuba, and a smattering of others, not a lot of call for asylum from anywhere else.

Spent a portion of a career shepherding asylum seekers from their own hellholes to intermediary spots and onward to America. None it so happened came from allies or other friendly nations. PL110 at the time was specific as to nationality.

coldwarrior on June 21, 2013 at 12:05 PM

O’Reilly clearly had no idea what was actually in the Bill and admitted as much. How can he get away with such lack of preparation? Does he even have time to read the papers? Call a Senate staffer?

pat on June 21, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Refugees, on the other hand…the UNHCR is established to do that sort of thing. Let them.

coldwarrior on June 21, 2013 at 12:06 PM

coldwarrior on June 21, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I’m sorry, I guess I just don’t understanding what you are saying. Consider the case of my physician. To my knowledge he did not leave Iran due to any political oppression specific to him. Would he be allowed to immigrate here? How would you suggest we decide such matters?

MJBrutus on June 21, 2013 at 12:08 PM

MJBrutus

Yeah, but the notion that America doesn’t produce qualified applicants is just the way it is, lol.

xblade on June 21, 2013 at 12:10 PM

xblade on June 21, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Those are just the facts. The numbers bear that out. I blame our liberal education system that neither prepares kids nor encourages them to pursue useful skills. Go ahead and defend our public schools and college aid for Creative Complaining majors if you want.

MJBrutus on June 21, 2013 at 12:14 PM

MJBrutus on June 21, 2013 at 12:08 PM

He merely approaches any US consulate in any country in which he resides, establishes identity, provides some documentation, a photo, in some cases fingerprints…fills out forms, pays consular fees…and waits until his visa arrives. Gets his plane ticket… JFK or LAX here we come.

One need not be fleeing somewhere to get here…one needs merely to apply…or as it appears so many many others seem to want to do…swim, crawl or be boated ashore in the dead of night…and not have to do that burdensome paperwork….

coldwarrior on June 21, 2013 at 12:15 PM

PaddyORyan

Also in Delaware, pickin chickin. No English anywhere (in these towns)

williampeck1958 on June 21, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I saw the segment with BOR and Laura.She was awesome! She kicked his old ass all over FNC headquarters. He was blubbering and tearful when it was over she beat him so bad.Too bad she can’t take his place permanently he’s such a dud.

rodguy911 on June 21, 2013 at 12:21 PM

williampeck1958 on June 21, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Take out the parts concerning clogging emergency rooms and welfare and the rest is in the best traditions of this nation. New immigrants have always needed time to acculturate. For example, it is historically very common for the initial generation to not be fluent in English, the 2nd generation to be bilingual and the 3rd to not be fluent in their language of origin.

MJBrutus on June 21, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Have you called your Senator yet? Call the state (not DC) office now.

visions on June 21, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I’ve always called DC. Calling the state office makes a difference?

lynncgb on June 21, 2013 at 12:31 PM

rodguy911 on June 21, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I saw this too, and BOR really pissed me off. Bill’s reasons were:

1) The illeagals are already here
2) they do all the work
3) Repubs need to gain the hispanic vote
4) “Something” needs to be done

Bill’s comprehension is utter “failure”. Thank God Laura stuck it to him.

-west

mr_west on June 21, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Granting Amnesyt to illegal immigrants slaps generations of those who were legal immgrants right in the face and tarnishes the sacrifices they made to become Patriotic American Citizens.

kingsjester on June 21, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Have you called your Senator yet? Call the state (not DC) office now.

visions on June 21, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I’ve always called DC. Calling the state office makes a difference?

I’m getting a “duplicate comment detected” message and am having difficulty getting a comment posted. I don’t post all that frequently and I’m certainly not repeating myself with the above remark. Anybody else having an issue?

lynncgb on June 21, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Looks like it went through after all. Now I did repeat myself. LOL

lynncgb on June 21, 2013 at 12:40 PM

O’Reilly is a self-aggrandizing opportunist whose sole interest is promoting his brand.
His faux intellectual and moral facade is merely lip service designed to hitch his wagon to the latest issue and keep his name as high profile as possible.

Klem Kadiddlehopper on June 21, 2013 at 12:40 PM

kingsjester on June 21, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Absolutely spot on.

Look at Jeff Kuhner and Mark Steyn. Mr Kuhner ( a real hero IMHO ) had to pay 18,000 for his green card and wait some long period and work his ass off to become a US citizen. Him, I respect.

The illegals need to go home. That they are here is not a relevant point. Their presence is illegal and we have laws that prohibit people coming here without permission. IT’S THAT SIMPLE.

Our laws specify a remedy for those who come here without permission. ENFORCE THEM. It’s that simple.

SECURE THE BORDER AND PREVENT PEOPLE FROM COMING HERE IN VIOLATION OF OUR LAW.

It’s very simple.

Always beware those who claim that problems are complex. They are attempting to dazzle you with bullshit.

You can quote me on that

dogsoldier on June 21, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Klem Kadiddlehopper on June 21, 2013 at 12:40 PM

He’s a man of reason and I have seen him change his mind when presented with facts. Give him a chance.

dogsoldier on June 21, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Klem Kadiddlehopper on June 21, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Got a laugh out of that……I haven’t seen that name in years. I’ve probs missed your past posts as I don’t have time to read each thread.
Oh, how I miss Red. That’s back when Hollyweird had talent.

avagreen on June 21, 2013 at 12:59 PM

dogsoldier on June 21, 2013 at 12:53 PM

dogsoldier, respect your opinions. But, on this issue, you are wrong. I used to be an avid watcher/fan of this hotbag. No longer…..for reasons I’ve listed above (far above).

He’s a charlatan IMHO. Pure and simple. And, a blowhard.

avagreen on June 21, 2013 at 1:01 PM

He’s a charlatan IMHO. Pure and simple. And, a blowhard.

avagreen on June 21, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Fair enough. I respect yours too, ava. I haven’t watched since he blamed Ed for what I posted, so he may well have changed. I remember the night he allowed Kerry to lie about ANWR unchallenged.

dogsoldier on June 21, 2013 at 1:10 PM

mr_west,all
No one has explained to me yet how the Republican Party will gain the Hispanic vote by agreeing to amnesty.
What are we supposed to do start a bidding war with the rats over how much we will give each and every minority group? Do we give two obama phones? More welfare,more food stamps than the other guys? How do we accomplish this in order to get their votes?
I say treat everyone the same and let the cards fall where they fall.
If the country is doomed to socialism and it may well be, we need not be a part of helping it get there.

rodguy911 on June 21, 2013 at 1:35 PM

mr_west,all
I say treat everyone the same and let the cards fall where they fall.

rodguy911 on June 21, 2013 at 1:35 PM

This kind of mentality is symptomatic for the problems that we have today and it’s what got us here to begin with. You either let people in, but if you do it, do it systematically, legally and in an orderly fashion (as in control the process) and craft a highly skilled immigrant system (desirably) like Canada’s, or if not, close the fracking borders and enforce the laws…like that we let all the retards who can cross the borders in (and this is true of every single administration from Reagan on, Dim or Rep) and in 10 years you have 40 millions unskilled people with no choice but to legalize and feed (with food stamps that is)…

jimver on June 21, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Tall man, big mouth … intellectual midget.

Jaibones on June 21, 2013 at 2:02 PM

mr_west,all
I say treat everyone the same and let the cards fall where they fall.

rodguy911 on June 21, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Rubio & Co. know that they will vote (D). They don’t care as long as the rent-seeking filth-pigs supporting this give them money. The E-pubs hate the Tea Party and conservatives more than the Dems do.

ebrown2 on June 21, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Twitter has it that Hoeven has filed his amendment and everyone is congratulating themselves on the agreement. Gag.

txmomof6 on June 21, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I wouldn’t mind O’Reilly’s blowhardosity so much if he at least admitted that other people have a different point of view. It seems like he has these people on just so he can find at least one who agrees with him.

PattyJ on June 21, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Sorry but that’s BS. To this day, O’Reilly regularly trots out his ridiculous “oil companies are manipulating gasoline prices” canard. Over the past 10 years, I have seen one guest after another shred his stupidity on the subject with data and facts and yet he absolutely refuses to budge on the issue.

O’Reilly is smart enough not to buy the Left’s lies, for the most part. That alone is enough to earn him some kudos in my book…especially considering that he’s a popular television figure. But he is, by no means, a well-informed man. He has superficial knowledge about a lot of topics…most of which is probably provided to him by his producers and staff…which he then applies his folksy, home-spun populist schtick to.

rvastar on June 21, 2013 at 2:30 PM

rvastar, your appraisal of Bill above is simply accurate.

Ole Bill is a big ” bloviat”(or).

Sherman1864 on June 21, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Bill is flat out WRONG on this one.

The only thing that MUST be done, is to militarize and CLOSE the southern border entirely.

Nothing else SHOULD be done.

Meople on June 21, 2013 at 3:18 PM

rvastar on June 21, 2013 at 2:30 PM

No, I have seen him change his mind, but I admit it was a long time ago now. If you want to argue he’s not a man of reason because of his opinions on some subjects, I’ll have to disagree. I made no evaluation about his intelligence or how well informed he is.

dogsoldier on June 21, 2013 at 3:24 PM

2nd video up above is broken btw.

Meople on June 21, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I would like people who insist the immigration system needs reform list the exact sections of current immigration and border control law that needs to be re written

Is it the quotas?

Is it the requirement of deportation

Is it the asylum law as it now stands

When individual portions of such law are stated, they seem to be very reasonable. Quotas are easily changed, without ‘reforming’ immigration law

The dialogue about reforming the law, uses as proof the reality that the law is not being enforced. That does not prove the law needs reform

The Border patrol agents are being ignored in the arguments. In fact, that want to enforce the law and are impeded.

As for O Reilly, he can join Rubio at party headquarters. I am through with anyone who sells out on this. Rubio has been upfront lying since the staged puppet show for reform began. If O reilly cannot see the trap in accepting the arguments of a documented liar who is working a script, than O Reilly is either a stooge or a victim.

entagor on June 21, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Unless you live in one of the border states, you can’t possibly know how bad the problem is. We are literally being invaded from the south. Entire towns are populated by third world aliens who speak no English, have no concept of American traditions, clog the emergency rooms, overwhelm the public welfare system and take up massive amounts of classroom space. They are NOT in the shadows. They are the majority in many, many communities. More than half of the radio stations are in Spanish as well as a good chunk of tv stations. They reproduce like rabbits so this is coming to the rest of America sooner than you think. I don’t blame them for taking advantage of our lax policies and free handouts, I blame our politicians.

PaddyORyan
on June 21, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Definitely so! The folks back East have no idea of what is going on down here. They openly talk about taking Texas back and Arizona back. And, many of them flat hate Gringos.

I was cursed out just yesterday as I stood on my front porch (trying to decide if I’d take down the yellowjacket nest that’s sprang up since the rains)when someone was looking at a house newly for sale across and down the street. I was looking at the nest when they then drove by in this old rattletrap, engine-misfiring piece of junk, and the young woman (early 20′s) in the rider’s seat looked at me, put her head out the window and then yelled a Spanish name (PUTA!) and then waved and said “Goodbye” and she hang out the window after they had passed.

Piece of garbage.

However, both my (hispanic) neighbor across the street and the one next door are quite the different story and are great neighbors and friends.

avagreen on June 21, 2013 at 4:44 PM

MJBrutus on June 21, 2013 at 12:27 PM

You’re delusional.

HB3 on June 21, 2013 at 4:50 PM

blue collar non hispanics are hurting us down here in Texas. we are over populated with illegals that will do any type of manual labor for very cheap. of course, people get what they pay for, and are learning that if you value what is being worked on, you’d better find someone that speaks English. this reform bill is nothing more than the rich getting more cheap labor so they can continue their profit margins. this is why the GOP is on board with more third world immigrants filling our cities. America will regret our open borders…

burserker on June 21, 2013 at 5:08 PM

New Steyn…

Obama’s Melting Wings

Resist We Much on June 21, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Bill O’Reilly has never done much other than play God with his arrogant”I’ll give you a pass on that one” talk. A conservative defender of the constitution he’s not, at least not for long,….

Don L on June 21, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Like Obamacare this travesy against law and justice has been decided long ago by the political and money powers that be in BOTH parties. The gang of 8 is just the GOP’s cover for doing what the dems and the money guys want. How long before we wake up to the game they play and toss them all out?
Answer: we won’t. The idea of a citizen republic has failed and we did it to ourselves. The last free man in America can just leave -the door has been permanently open to the ruling class’s whim.

Don L on June 21, 2013 at 6:37 PM

When your “opinions” are demolished by data and facts…yet you stubbornly refuse to revise your opinions in light of said information…then, by definition, you are not “a man of reason”.

rvastar on June 21, 2013 at 7:24 PM

So Bill’s looking after all the world’s folks? Swell, let Congress get back to the ones they were elected to represent.

Cindy Munford on June 22, 2013 at 12:02 AM

rvastar on June 21, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Ok, I concede the point. The exchange above is an excellent illustration of your point. He may not even be a man of honesty. I heard yesterday that he and Hannity were requested to support the amnesty bill by their boss. They have nothing at stake. They are entertainers.

dogsoldier on June 22, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Cindy Munford on June 22, 2013 at 12:02 AM

That’s just his schtick.

dogsoldier on June 22, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Bill is talking like the TYPICAL Washington insider!

Bill rambles about how great this is for the almost irrelevant Republican Party, and how without this bill they will become EXTINCT!

Bill loads up all the left wing claims that any who oppose are RACISTS not worthy of even being heard!

And now, as we saw on FRIDAY, Bill was demanding that congress pass a bill NO ONE has READ!

I suspect Bill will next claim, ‘We have to pass the bill to find out what is in it’!

And as we know, what is IN this bill is NOT in the interest of the American people, it is in the interest of the EMPLOYERS of ILLEGAL labor, and the ILLEGAL labor that boke the law!

Freddy on June 22, 2013 at 2:27 PM

You know, I have to say…when I did volunteer work for John Hoeven’s Senate campaign, it was not in the hope that he would eventually throw in with McCain, Schumer and the rest of their Gang of Apes to push Sweeping Amnesty Bill# 5162315625065216, AKA the Final Republican Suicide Pact.

Cylor on June 23, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Goodbye RNC … Viva libertarian!

kregg on June 23, 2013 at 7:20 PM