Quotes of the day

posted at 10:01 pm on June 19, 2013 by Allahpundit

“I certainly wouldn’t presume to speak for Harry Reid, but I think he’s starting to get nervous,” Cruz said in an interview with conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh…

“I think he’s starting to get nervous because the American people are starting to pay attention,” he said…

“There are probably 20 Republican senators in the U.S. Senate who are on the fence, who are wobbling on this issue and not sure of how to vote,” Cruz added.

***

It was just a few months ago that Republican Sens. Rand Paul and Marco Rubio brought the Conservative Political Action Conference crowd to its feet with back-to-back speeches that left many in the audience waxing poetic about the two freshman firebrands and their prospects in 2016.

But while Paul earned similar praise Wednesday from activists perched on the Capitol lawn for a rally against illegal immigration and the IRS, the very mention of Rubio’s name drew groans and even boos. The same Tea Party types that helped catapult Rubio into the national spotlight have now turned on him as he continues to maneuver the Senate toward a bipartisan, comprehensive immigration reform package…

“I still like him,” William Agliano adds. “But he’s making it tough.”

***

A lot of conservatives are upset with Marco Rubio. I can understand that. I do believe that he had the best of intentions when he started working on this issue. But I also told him during interviews early on that I do not trust Democrats like Chuck Schumer and Dick Durbin. Democrats have a history of not being trustworthy. My prediction seems to have become a reality. Democrats are basically using this as a political issue, not for the sake of solving an important problem but to boost future election chances by making this a wedge issue for 2014. The way that this is all shaping up, Democrats will be able to go out there and say that Republicans don’t like Hispanics, just like they squawk that Republicans want dirty air and water, they want to push granny off the cliff and they want poor and disabled children to fend for themselves. This is typical liberal politics at play.

Nearly every time you do business with liberals, they go back on their word.

***

“The fact is, Senator Rubio is bouncing around trying to find a path out,” a Republican staffer told the Washington Examiner. “The bill is indefensible — and he has all but admitted it by saying ‘it must be improved.’ So he saddled up with Cornyn to try to get cover — but now that doesn’t seem to be working either. Now there are more secret back room-deals being attempted — while Harry Reid and Chuck Schumer stiff-arm Senator Grassley and other Republicans who are trying to modify the bill on the floor. The American people are just waking up to the reality of another 1000 page amnesty bill — and there is a long way to go in this debate.”…

”How long have they been working on this bill?” another Republican Senate aide said. “And they are going to surprise everyone with a brand new bill just DAYS before senators vote on it, before anyone can read it, score it, evaluate it?”

***

Laura Ingraham asked Representative Paul Ryan on her radio show today why he supports immigration reform that could harm middle-class Americans. She asked him, “The CBO report says that [the Gang of Eight] approach, which would allow in all these people, would drive wages down. How can Paul Ryan, the man behind the growth agenda, say that driving American wages down is a good thing over the next twelve years, for the middle class who is struggling in Wisconsin and beyond?”

Citing a data point from the CBO’s recently released score of the Senate bill, Ingraham argued that, while the Senate proposal may be supported by the Chamber of Commerce and big businesses, it would harm wages for working-class Americans. “If the amnesty happens, those people are going to be able to compete across every job line, across every employment sector,” she said. ”How does flooding the marketplace with more laborers to compete across every workplace environment – how is that good for the American middle class?”

***

***

The bill has not primarily been sold as a deficit-reduction measure or a way to increase GNP per capita by 0.2 percent in 20 years’ time. It has been sold as a way–the only practical way–of getting illegal immigration under control. That’s what supporters are getting at when they say that the status quo is unacceptable, that it’s a de facto amnesty, and that nothing could be worse than not passing a bill. Now the CBO tells us that under the bill we will have only 25 percent less illegal immigration than it expects under current law

It is certainly open to supporters of the bill to dispute the CBO’s pessimistic projection about future illegal immigration. But if they do that, they will have to also throw out the deficit and GNP numbers they’ve been touting, since as I understand it those projections are based on the number of people that are expected to be here.

***

Chuck Schumer said recently that passage of the legislation will ensure that “Illegal immigration will be a thing of the past.” Rubio and Graham have made the same claim, repeatedly. But the CBO projects 4.8 million new illegal immigrants and their U.S.-born children will be living in the country by 2023 if the bill becomes law, compared to 6.4 million without it. (This is the 25% reduction Andrew Stiles noted below.) The report doesn’t break out the number of U.S.-born children included in that 4.8 million number, but let’s say, for round-number purposes, there would be 4 million new illegal aliens a decade from now. The report also assumes that only 8 million of the current illegals will receive amnesty, leaving 3.5 million still here illegally (if there are about 11.5 million illegals now, as is likely). Assuming further that half a million of them would die or go home over the next decade, that would seem to imply, based on CBO’s own figures, that there would be 7 million illegal aliens living here 10 years after the bill’s passage. Does that sound like illegal immigration will have become “a thing of the past”?

And if the amnesty-pushers claim the CBO is wrong about its projections of continued mass illegal immigration, then what else is it wrong about?

***

***

“This gang of 8 bill is a disaster”, Cruz began. “We’re hearing the exact same empty promises as 1986. It grants legalization now, and promises that sometime in the future, trust us *wink wink* we’ll secure the border. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame in me.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6 7

I see your point, and often I keep my mouth shut.

A troll once told me to get a hobby. I shot back that I do have a hobby: Needling liberals.

Sometimes I just can’t help myself. LOL

Liam on June 20, 2013 at 5:53 AM

lol

I like to think of HA as our lounge, a place for us to get away from leftards and their BS – arguing with them, rather than just stating our cases & then washing our hands of them, doesn’t make sense…

I’m sorry, but this is one commenter I will engage so long as this remains one of his goals.

hawkdriver on June 20, 2013 at 6:03 AM

So, you don’t care much that the way you engage him doesn’t accomplish anything?

Anti-Control on June 20, 2013 at 6:08 AM

hawkdriver on June 20, 2013 at 6:03 AM

Anti-Control on June 20, 2013 at 6:08 AM

It accomplishes nothing with him. I heartily concede that. The exchanges are probably more beneficial to those who weren’t aware or chose not to believe that this is an objective for him and many within his community.

hawkdriver on June 20, 2013 at 6:12 AM

Anti-Control on June 20, 2013 at 6:08 AM

Problem is, not even the most obnoxious of them — he who sings Daisy — gets in any hot water from Management. There is no escape from trolls, or even respite unless they balk at coming in. They might be more tolerable if an example were made of that obnoxious abuser finally getting clobbered with the ban hammer. Then the rest wouldn’t be quite so ill-mannered.

Liam on June 20, 2013 at 6:14 AM

ding ding ding

morning everyone :)

cmsinaz on June 20, 2013 at 6:30 AM

cmsinaz on June 20, 2013 at 6:30 AM

Cruz continues to impress me. Could he be the one?

hawkdriver on June 20, 2013 at 6:33 AM

I like that Hawkdriver responds to that person. Don’t forget that many more people read this blog and its comments than have commenter privileges. It is a war of POV’s and ideas, and the HotAir comment section is one battlefield of many. I see the comment section more as a place to express ideas than a “lounge.”

bluegill on June 20, 2013 at 6:34 AM

Thread won.

libfreeordie on June 15, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Liam on June 20, 2013 at 5:27 AM

classic.

workingclass artist on June 20, 2013 at 6:35 AM

cmsinaz on June 20, 2013 at 6:30 AM

Mornin’!

Cruz talks like we want to hear, but will he remain consistent? Time will tell. I simply don’t trust any politician, from Obama on down to my local dog catcher.

Liam on June 20, 2013 at 6:35 AM

hawkdriver on June 20, 2013 at 6:33 AM

same here…*crossing fingers*

Liam on June 20, 2013 at 6:35 AM

morning !
i hear ya, but he’s been doing a great job so far…he’s already being palinized by the lsm….

cmsinaz on June 20, 2013 at 6:38 AM

Cruz continues to impress me. Could he be the one?
hawkdriver on June 20, 2013 at 6:33 AM

The only, and I mean only, concern with Cruz is… can he appeal nationally. Of course, with sane and responsible and at least somewhat fair news media, he certainly would. The man is amazing. The media will attack anyone opposing the Dem, and perhaps Cruz, with his toughness and unflappability and sharpness and willingness to return fire, is just who we need.

I don’t see anyone now who is even close to being as attractive as Cruz.

bluegill on June 20, 2013 at 6:39 AM

I don’t see anyone now who is even close to being as attractive as Cruz.

bluegill on June 20, 2013 at 6:39 AM

I do not disagree. Let’s see what happens.

hawkdriver on June 20, 2013 at 6:42 AM

cmsinaz on June 20, 2013 at 6:38 AM

They did the same to Rubio until his true colors (Soviet Red and Democrat Blue) showed out. I’m jaded, so I need to wait a few years on Cruz.

Liam on June 20, 2013 at 6:42 AM

Mornin’!

Liam on June 20, 2013 at 6:35 AM

Mornin’ everyone from The muggy swamp that is North Central Texas…but we need the rain.

As to Cruz…He’ll probably step on his wanker as all pols do…but hopefully it’ll be fairly harmless and he’ll know it.

It’s the clueless ones that have screwed up so often they don’t even feel it like Gramnesty that make particularly annoying spectacles of themselves and the cleanup is usually expensive and damaging to the morale.

Gramnesty probably needs to ask the maverick where he left his wanker….He’s a putz.

workingclass artist on June 20, 2013 at 6:42 AM

Good morning, Patriots! Heckuva speech by Scooter yesterday, huh?/My take.

kingsjester on June 20, 2013 at 6:46 AM

How does Cruz define himself to low info voters before the late night show buffoons and the democrat news
media do? I’m talking about a few years off if he gets the mom.

The man doesn’t make verbal gaffes that I’ve seen.

I just love that he doesn’t seem to be moved or hurt by the slings and arrows directed at him.

I really feel like we need to get behind him early on. I don’t want a bloody primary season again. I want him to have LOTS of time to prepare for the general election campaign.

I don’t want him to have to get too negative against the other republicans running.

bluegill on June 20, 2013 at 6:46 AM

hawkdriver on June 20, 2013 at 6:33 AM

same here…*crossing fingers*

Liam on June 20, 2013 at 6:35 AM

morning !

cmsinaz on June 20, 2013 at 6:38 AM

Cruz Rocks!

He’s made Texas proud….and he’s only been there 6 months.

workingclass artist on June 20, 2013 at 6:47 AM

Good Morning H/A Peeps!

Sad News:

Breaking News @BreakingNews 10h

HBO on Gandolfini’s death: ‘We’re all in shock and feeling immeasurable sadness’ – @WSJ on.wsj.com/11OVhzz

canopfor on June 20, 2013 at 6:47 AM

Rand Paul and Walker and Ryan are all open to amnesty. Paul even opposes e-verify!

bluegill on June 20, 2013 at 6:48 AM

when I hear santorum is planning to run again I cringe…I really like the guy, but we need a fighter someone who will get in their faces so to speak…cruz seems to be doing just that…

cmsinaz on June 20, 2013 at 6:49 AM

media do? I’m talking about a few years off if he gets the mom.

The man doesn’t make verbal gaffes that I’ve seen.

bluegill on June 20, 2013 at 6:46 AM

To quote Gov. Perry in CT yesterday…

2016 will take care of itself.

Cruz needs to focus on what he’s doin’ and that’s plenty.

workingclass artist on June 20, 2013 at 6:49 AM

I have a running firefight to attend with a dishonest real world businessman. Before I go head out though, please consider giving what you can to Ed’s Troopathon Care package fund. There is nothing better than to see those boxes come in from fellow Americans who support you. It doesn’t take much and it’ll make you feel good and it’ll warm a heart overseas.

hawkdriver on June 20, 2013 at 6:49 AM

kingsjester on June 20, 2013 at 6:46 AM

I think the only reason Obama hasn’t yet up and surrendered the United States is because he’d no longer be president if he did.

Liam on June 20, 2013 at 6:51 AM

Good Morning H/A Peeps!

Sad News:

Breaking News @BreakingNews 10h

canopfor on June 20, 2013 at 6:47 AM

That is sad…only 51 and on a trip to Rome with his son. Has a baby girl at home.

Great actor.

workingclass artist on June 20, 2013 at 6:52 AM

kingsjester on June 20, 2013 at 6:46 AM

excellent KJ

peace through justice…*shaking the head*

running for UN secretary methinks

cmsinaz on June 20, 2013 at 6:53 AM

hawkdriver on June 20, 2013 at 6:49 AM

cmsinaz on June 20, 2013 at 6:54 AM

cmsinaz on June 20, 2013 at 6:38 AM

The thing with Palin is that, after awhile, even many Republicans started feeling embarrassed to say they liked her, due to her many gaffes and quirkiness and sometimes unserious demeanor. I mean the woman wasn’t able to appear in challenging live tv interviews. Whereas Cruz has argued successfully before the US Supreme Court and stared down Dianne Feinstein until she was a shaking, stammering, huffing pile of umbrage needing backup from the other dem dinosaur senators beside her.

I ask you, who among us here wouldn’t be proud to stand with Cruz? I feel like he’d be a conviction politician, like Margaret Thatcher, and he could actually make you proud with his strong performance in the political arena.

bluegill on June 20, 2013 at 6:54 AM

cmsinaz on June 20, 2013 at 6:49 AM

Santorum might be a great family man…but he’s a big gubmint union guy.

so…NO.

We need a conservative governor with a solid record…especially a solid economic record.

workingclass artist on June 20, 2013 at 6:55 AM

workingclass artist on June 20, 2013 at 6:52 AM

2nd that…the only reason we had HBO was to watch the sopranos…we got rid of HBO as soon as it went off the air…

cmsinaz on June 20, 2013 at 6:55 AM

Journalist Hastings who took out,er,took down General
McChrstal dead at 33:

Michael Hastings, ‘Rolling Stone’ Contributor, Dead at 33
The bold journalist died in a car accident in Los Angeles

June 19 2013
************

canopfor on June 20, 2013 at 6:57 AM

bluegill on June 20, 2013 at 6:54 AM

i agree with you on cruz, but the only gop who were embarassed by her were the squishy gop elite imho

cmsinaz on June 20, 2013 at 6:59 AM

canopfor on June 20, 2013 at 6:57 AM

morning canopfor
dont’ forget vince flynn….great writer

loved the mitch rapp series

cmsinaz on June 20, 2013 at 7:01 AM

cmsinaz on June 20, 2013 at 6:59 AM

Some people were embarrassed, not because of her positions, but because of her lack of an ability to articulately and forcefully advocate for conservative positions. She didn’t seem ready. I’m just being honest. :-( wish things had been different.

bluegill on June 20, 2013 at 7:04 AM

canopfor on June 20, 2013 at 6:47 AM

Anytime somebody who is only 51 dies suddenly it is a shock (and 51 is looking younger every day).

But let’s put this in perspective. While the rat-eared traitor is strutting around Berlin proud that we’re negotiating with the Taliban, they killed four Americans and created a government in exile in Doja (just biding time for the last of our forces to leave Afghanistan). Now the Taliban is offering up a US Army hostage for five of the animals housed at Gitmo.

The deaths of an actor, or a novelist, or even a 90-year-old yodeler are sad but not what is important this morning!

Happy Nomad on June 20, 2013 at 7:04 AM

Ya’ll see this on Drudge…

“When Regal Entertainment Group (RGC) in April blamed ObamaCare for the fact that it was cutting some of its workers’ hours, backers of the law mounted a furious backlash against the theater chain, among other things filling its Facebook page with boycott threats.
“Greed and selfishness make me sick,” one of them said.
Darden Restaurants (DRI) felt this intense heat last year after suggesting it might shift to more part-time work to minimize the cost of the law’s mandate that companies offer coverage to all their full-time workers. CEO Clarence Otis even blamed its lowered outlook for 2013 in part on “recent negative media coverage” over “how we might accommodate health care reform.”
Yet while private companies are getting all this unwelcome and hostile attention, local governments across the country have been quietly doing exactly the same thing — cutting part-time hours specifically so they can skirt ObamaCare’s costly employer mandate, while complaining about the law in some of the harshest terms anyone has uttered in public.

The result is that part-time government workers — many of them low-income — face pay cuts that can top $3,000 a year, and yet will still be left without employer-provided benefits.

Here is just a small sampling of local news reports about what local government officials are saying about ObamaCare, and the steps they’re taking to avoid or minimize its costs…

Phillipsburg, Kan.: “School administrators here say they are alarmed and confounded by the looming new costs they face with the implementation of the Affordable Care Act,” according to the Kaiser Health Institute News Service. Chris Hipp, director of a Kansas special education cooperative, warned that ObamaCare’s costs “could put us all out of business or change significantly how we do business,” adding that “we are not built to pay full health benefits for noncertified folks who work a little more than 1,000 hours a year.”

Dearborn, Mich.: “If we had to provide health care and other benefits to all of our employees, the burden on the city would be tremendous,” said Mayor John O’Reilly, explaining why the city is cutting its more than 700 part-time and seasonal workers down to 28 hours a week. “The city is like any private or public employer having to adjust to changes in the law.”

Omaha, Neb.: “The biggest problem is everyone said that ObamaCare is only going to help cut costs. Nothing could be further from the truth,” said Mike Kennedy , who serves on the board of Millard Public Schools, just outside the city, and figures ObamaCare will raise its costs by $400,000. A neighboring school district is reducing hours for up to 281 part-time employees to avoid $2.5 million in new costs, which will result in pay cuts of up to $3,300.

Long Beach, Calif.: “We are in the same boat as many employers,” said Tom Modica, Long Beach’s director of government affairs. “We need to maintain the programs and service levels we have now.” So the city is going to cut hours for 200 part-time workers so it doesn’t have to pay $2 million to provide health benefits.

Salt Lake City: “With new provisions in the Affordable Care Act, there was going to be a significant burden upon Granite School District and our taxpayers to offset the cost of benefits,” said spokesman Ben Horsley. He says covering the district’s part-time workers would cost about $14 million, and so about 1,000 will have their hours cut to 29 a week.

Cape May County, N.J.: “A number of people in the nation who read it are recognizing how detrimental (ObamaCare is) to government and private employers out there,” said Gerald Thornton, the county’s finance director who is trying to figure out how to budget for the law.

Virginia: “The Commonwealth of Virginia is grappling with the same issues that many businesses in the private sector are as they struggle to deal with the costs imposed by the Affordable Care Act,” Paul Logan, a spokesman for Gov. McDonnell, said. The state is requiring that about 7,000 part-time government workers put in no more than 29 hours a week.

Texas: “The Affordable Care Act has added so much complexity and administrative burden that there is nothing affordable about it,” said Jared Pope, who is consulting with Texas municipal governments on ObamaCare. Dallas expects its health costs to climb $2.1 million next year. Plano is cutting hours to avoid $1 million in new costs.

Kern County, Calif.: “It will affect multiple departments, a majority of departments,” said the county’s deputy administrative officer Eric Nisbett, explaining that unless the county cut worker hours for 800 employees, ObamaCare would cost it up to $8 million a year.

Allegheny County, Pa.: “There’s frustration and anger and sadness and resentment, you know, but you don’t have a voice,” said adjunct English professor Clint Benjamin in the wake of the Community College of Allegheny County’s decision to cut hours for about 400 adjunct faculty and other employees so it wouldn’t have to pay $6 million in ObamaCare-related fees next year.

Medina, Ohio: “We feel bad as a city administration and as a council in having to cut hours from 35 to 29,” Medina Mayor Dennis Hanwell said. “We have the budget to pay the people, but we do not have the budget to pay for the health care.” If they hadn’t made that cut, the city faced up to $1 million in new health costs courtesy of ObamaCare.

Birmingham, Mich. Commissioner Gordon Rinschler may have summed up best the reaction that countless businesses and governments are having to ObamaCare, saying: “We simply can’t afford the Affordable Care Act.”

Read More At Investor’s Business Daily: http://news.investors.com/061913-660419-local-governments-cut-hours-to-avoid-obamacare-mandate.htm#ixzz2WklZudbl
Follow us: @IBDinvestors on Twitter | InvestorsBusinessDaily on Facebook

workingclass artist on June 20, 2013 at 7:05 AM

Palin could have been a speaker on par Reagan, and the LSM would have sought to destroy her. Just last week, Bill Maher make a cruel ‘joke’ about Trig, and the audience laughed.

Our society is sick, and even Cruz is going to have a tough time getting past it if he has bigger aspirations in the future.

Liam on June 20, 2013 at 7:07 AM

***** Heads-Up *****

Gang of Eight to announce this morning:
—————————————

Senate Agreement To Bolster Border Security

Jun 19, 2013 11:41pm
*********************

Early Thursday morning, the bipartisan “Gang of Eight” senators will announce an agreement to strengthen border security.

ABC News has confirmed that the Senate “Gang of Eight” has reached an agreement to strengthen border security provisions in their bill that they hope will deliver the 70 crucial votes needed for the measure.

According to a high ranking Senate aide, a formal announcement is expected Thursday morning.

A second capitol hill source tells ABC News the agreement will include a major border build up, with a huge increase in border personnel and an increase in fencing. The change will mean the legislation will deliver the 70 votes desired by the bipartisan group.

The four Republicans, Marco Rubio (Fla.), John McCain (Ariz.), Lindsey Graham (S.C.), Jeff Flake (Ariz.) and four Democrats, Chuck Schumer (N.Y.), Bob Menendez (N.J.), Michael Bennet (Colo.), and Dick Durbin (Ill.), have been calling amendments that would require 700-miles of fencing and 100 percent operational control “non-starts” for the bill.

The bill, which has been debated on the Senate floor this week, has been met with resistance from Republicans who argued the border security measures were not strong enough and needed to be made a “trigger” before the undocumented could start down a pathway to citizenship. The pathway, Obama has said, is necessary for him to sign the bill into law.

On Tuesday, the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office announced the legislation proposed by the senate gang would boost the economy and lower the federal deficit.
======================================

canopfor on June 20, 2013 at 7:08 AM

Happy Nomad on June 20, 2013 at 7:04 AM

I hate that we act like its so much more of a big deal if an actor or singer dies. It’s sad, but they are no more special than anyone else.

They are not gods.

bluegill on June 20, 2013 at 7:09 AM

cmsinaz on June 20, 2013 at 6:59 AM

bluegill on June 20, 2013 at 7:04 AM

The only problemo I ever had with Palin was her association with Greta’s husband John “Bhopal” Coale…He’s worse than a rat snake…as at least rat snakes kill rats.

Coale is still butthurt over Texas Tort reform.

Hopefully…she’s done with him and hopefully so is Herman Cain.

workingclass artist on June 20, 2013 at 7:10 AM

running for UN secretary methinks

cmsinaz on June 20, 2013 at 6:53 AM

The rat-eared despot is perfect for UN Secretary. You can be a lazy stupid dictator but as long as you clean up well and look good in a suit and are able to sit around listening to long meaningless rants against the United States and Israel- then you’ve fulfilled the major requirements for the job. That you are willing to overlook massive occurences of corruption, nepotism, and partisanship is an added plus.

The problem is that the UN reserves the job for nations other than those who sit permanently on the Security Council. Usually a third-word or lesser first world nation. The filthy bastard can either renounce his US citizenship and campaign for the job as a Kenyan or he can offer up our seat at the Security Council to free them up for picking him. And don’t think the bastard wouldn’t consider the second alternative.

Happy Nomad on June 20, 2013 at 7:11 AM

bluegill on June 20, 2013 at 7:04 AM

we’ll have to disagree

cmsinaz on June 20, 2013 at 7:12 AM

Liam on June 20, 2013 at 7:07 AM

Right. But can we admit that Palin didn’t always perform up to standards. I mean, come on. Who here didn’t cringe a little the first time you saw the Couric interview?

bluegill on June 20, 2013 at 7:13 AM

canopfor on June 20, 2013 at 7:08 AM

Increase border security? I want to hear the proposals first. What are they going to do — add three more Border Patrol agents and leave it at that?

Protecting the border is easy and won’t cost a gazillion dollars. Just deploy the military, issue rubber bullets (I prefer FMJ but I’m willing to quibble for now), and tell the troops where to aim their rifles.

Illegal crossings reduced to a trickle in 72 hours or less.

Liam on June 20, 2013 at 7:16 AM

canopfor on June 20, 2013 at 6:47 AM

Happy Nomad on June 20, 2013 at 7:04 AM

Happy Nomad:

I fully agree,on whats important,news-wise,I sent links to AP/ED,regarding the US Soldier swap for JiHadyGoons,a couple
hours ago:)

canopfor on June 20, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Happy Nomad on June 20, 2013 at 7:11 AM

i didn’t realize that re: the top job…

cmsinaz on June 20, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Liam on June 20, 2013 at 7:07 AM

Palin, Bachmann, or any outspoken conservative woman is treated like a conservative black…… off the plantation and ungrateful for all the Demonrats have done for their class.

Louie Gohmert co-hosting on local talk radio this morning. Has the right attitude toward immigration- The GOP does not need to pander for Latino votes. They need to do the right thing, live up to their oaths, and secure the damned border (emphasis mine). The support of Latinos is far more likely from doing that than pandering to the pro-amnesty crowd. I like Gohmert.

Happy Nomad on June 20, 2013 at 7:17 AM

canopfor on June 20, 2013 at 7:08 AM

still don’t trust it…as cruz said above,we’ve seen this song and dance before…

cmsinaz on June 20, 2013 at 7:18 AM

bluegill on June 20, 2013 at 7:13 AM

I’ve said a long time Palin has found her niche as a grassroots motivator, not as a national politician. She doesn’t have that savvy and articulation political junkies like us expect and demand.

Liam on June 20, 2013 at 7:18 AM

bluegill on June 20, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Katy Couric always makes me cringe…

workingclass artist on June 20, 2013 at 7:19 AM

canopfor on June 20, 2013 at 7:08 AM

If it’s not enough to run off the Dems, then it’s not good enough.

txhsmom on June 20, 2013 at 7:20 AM

morning joe has spent that last 20 minutes talking about james gandolfini…tingles has even join them…

cmsinaz on June 20, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Happy Nomad on June 20, 2013 at 7:17 AM

True that.

Tejanos were polled at 68% for border security & most were ok with work visas over pathway to citizenship according to Ted Cruz.

I like Gohmert too.

workingclass artist on June 20, 2013 at 7:25 AM

cmsinaz on June 20, 2013 at 7:21 AM

He was the iconic Mob Boss.

Just like Obama is the iconic Marxist Wuss.

Thank you for reading by the way. :)

By the way…there is a reason Roger Ailes asked Palin to come back. Palin means ratings.

kingsjester on June 20, 2013 at 7:26 AM

mj crew daily gun rant with manchin and his anti nra ad…

the love fest continues…

cmsinaz on June 20, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Cruz was outstanding on Rush’s show, yesterday.

kingsjester on June 20, 2013 at 7:30 AM

mj crew daily gun rant with manchin and his anti nra ad…

the love fest continues…

cmsinaz on June 20, 2013 at 7:27 AM

I would take them far more seriously if their studio didn’t have armed security.

Liam on June 20, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Liam on June 20, 2013 at 7:18 AM

I agree, except I think the unpolished impression she gives off was more a problem among low info voters. Partisan political junkies will vote for their side no matter what. What infuriated me was how she teased her supporters and made them think they should hold out for her. You had all these people out there thinking only she was an acceptable and true conservative. That wasn’t helpful. It seemed self-centered. She left that lingering question out there of “will she or won’t she?” for so long. And she even suggested she’d throw her hat in the ring in the event of a brokered convention, which she seemed to want. Surely she could have maintained her visibility and influence without restoring to that charade and to seemingly purposefully fostering division among Republican ranks.

bluegill on June 20, 2013 at 7:33 AM

mj crew daily gun rant with manchin and his anti nra ad…

the love fest continues…

cmsinaz on June 20, 2013 at 7:27 AM

And if they didn’t live in exclusive neighborhoods where a minority person would be stopped and questioned by local (and armed) police for simply walking down the street.

Liam on June 20, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Rubio and Ryan are betting on Conservative short-term memories and Establishment deep pockets.

mjbrooks3 on June 20, 2013 at 7:39 AM

One thing I don’t want to see is a Republican campaign holding back all summer before the final fall campaign. That was a disaster last year! Don’t let a single attack go unanswered. The left totally overwhelmed Romney and the conservative super pacs over the summer. All I saw was Obama add. It seemed like 10-1 in terms of which were shown more where I live.

I want a ruthless, steady, extended campaign to destroy Hillary’s reputation. I’m assuming she’ll be nominee. It needs to start early. I want them to do her what they did to Romney. I want the woman taken out early and brought down several pegs. I want her incompetence on display in the ads.

bluegill on June 20, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Cruz continues to impress me. Could he be the one?

hawkdriver on June 20, 2013 at 6:33 AM

hawkdriver:

Good Morning Hawk,interesting,

Cruz/Cuda 2016

Cruz/West 2016!!:)

canopfor on June 20, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Liam on June 20, 2013 at 7:32 AM
Liam on June 20, 2013 at 7:33 AM

heh

cmsinaz on June 20, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Well, God knows that we can’t have an American Leader sound like an actual American./

For Pete’s sake.

Second verse, same as the first.

Waves at alt. :)

kingsjester on June 20, 2013 at 7:41 AM

I want them to launch a smear campaign to end all smear campaigns against her. If they don’t they’re stupid. The negative ads work.

bluegill on June 20, 2013 at 7:42 AM

bluegill on June 20, 2013 at 7:40 AM

now that i can agree with…

cmsinaz on June 20, 2013 at 7:42 AM

And damn it they better get their act together now in the gotv operations.

bluegill on June 20, 2013 at 7:43 AM

bluegill on June 20, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Hillary will be the next President of the United States. Get used to it.

The GOP will betray you

True_King on June 20, 2013 at 7:44 AM

The anti-Romney ads were so heavy-handed and brutal. The conservative ads and attacks were just innuendo and snarky puff.

bluegill on June 20, 2013 at 7:45 AM

June 20, 2013 at 7:40 AM
Hillary will be the next President of the United States. Get used to it.
The GOP will betray you
True_King on June 20, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Like hell she will. I’m not ready to concede a damn thing.

bluegill on June 20, 2013 at 7:47 AM

bluegill on June 20, 2013 at 7:45 AM

I watch shows on a lot of national networks, and not once did I see a Romney ad. But I saw so many for Obama that I would change channels for the duration. I can’t stand even the sound of Obama’s voice, let alone his endless lies.

Liam on June 20, 2013 at 7:47 AM

canopfor on June 20, 2013 at 7:08 AM
If it’s not enough to run off the Dems, then it’s not good enough.

txhsmom on June 20, 2013 at 7:20 AM

txhsmom:Yup,…agreed:O

canopfor on June 20, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Liam on June 20, 2013 at 7:47 AM

I know! Who was in charge of buying ads? I kept waiting for great barrage to come. They waited for the first debate!

Look, I don’t think Hillary will get the minority turnout Obama did. I think a lot of racist Dems voted for Obsma simply because he was black and Romney white. That deserves more attention IMO. Are you going to tell me all the people voting in those that went 100% for Obama agreed with all his positions ( or even knew what they were)? I seriously doubt it. They saw skin color and nothing more.

I want them to do to Hillary what they did to Kerry. Swiftboat the lying woman to high heaven.

bluegill on June 20, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Guys/Gals,I apologize,for late,and
sometimes not responding,as this
backup POS computer is taking up to
5-7 minutes to post,after hitting the
Submit Comment button,and its beyond
frustrating,all the way back to April
12!

F’n Ugh:)

canopfor on June 20, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Cruz continues to impress me. Could he be the one?

hawkdriver on June 20, 2013 at 6:33 AM

My problem with Cruz is his relatively limited time in the Senate. Have we learned nothing from electing a rat-eared coward with but two years of time in the Senate, most of which was spent campaigning for a promotion? Plus, these scandals reflect on Congress too. I’d rather the right find a solid governor with conservative credentials (i.e. go eff yourself Christie).

Happy Nomad on June 20, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Cruz has been on quite a roll!

First, he sent out this sharply pointed tweet aimed squarely between Obama’s eyes. A direct hit!

Then he spent half an hour talking live on the air to Rush Limbaigh about the crap sandwich that is the Gang of Eight amnesty bill.

Then he spoke at the Audit the IRS Rally, where he suggested that the IRS should be dismantled and all the Agents sent to welcome illegal immigrants at our Southern border.

Than he got to look me in the eye and shake my hand as he was exiting the Rally.

He’s for real.

Naturally Curly on June 20, 2013 at 8:06 AM

But Obama won. So I don’t think his inexperience killed him politically.

People don’t care about boring stuff like credentials and experience. Being a senator who is sharp
and articulate is good enough for the experience requirement.

Seriously, I think we need to just out smear the other side and get our people out to vote better. Intellectual debates and long records of accomplishments don’t mean squat. It’s all about perception.

bluegill on June 20, 2013 at 8:06 AM

canopfor on June 20, 2013 at 7:08 AM

…I have to go “Cold Turkey”…when you take time off from here!

KOOLAID2 on June 20, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Liam on June 20, 2013 at 7:47 AM

I live in one of the swing states. Face it, the GOP just didn’t have the ground game to counteract the voter fraud. There were countless ads telling lies about Romney but little in the way of response but, beyond that, there were few campaign events in the area and one wasn’t at a huge seniors complex (large enough it is its own precinct) but at a tiny VFW hall a couple miles away.

Happy Nomad on June 20, 2013 at 8:08 AM

If Rubio’s in the same bed with McCain and his parasitical side-kick, Lindsey Graham, then who needs to worry about the left?
Obama has already said that he loves having these useful idiots do his dirty work and he will take down anyone who dares to criticize them.

These are the slippery friends of “My friends across the aisle” and are not America’s friends.

Don L on June 20, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Happy Nomad on June 20, 2013 at 8:08 AM

It wasn’t lack of ads that did us in but complicity with the left.

Sending up a rich, flexibly-principled money-man like Oromney to give boring economic lessons to people addicted to free lunches, lust, deviancy, envy and “aren’t we special” mentalities, was political suicide–but I asked myself for too long now…is there really any difference between the parties, other than the fact that they collectively agree to play “good cop, and bad cop?”

Don L on June 20, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Two things. Stench. Somewhere in the ATL Morehouse is yearning to have its pedophile come down for a visit.

Bmore on June 20, 2013 at 8:25 AM

hawkdriver on June 20, 2013 at 6:12 AM

You admit the way you interact with that particular leftard “accomplishes nothing,” yet you do it anyway…so, you believe that indulging rude people who don’t respect you is the best way to handle them? Do you have the same kind of tolerance for guests in your own home?

bluegill on June 20, 2013 at 6:34 AM

Aren’t you someone who knows she’s disliked greatly around here, and who blames the people who dislike you rather than pointing the finger at your own obnoxious & selfish self?

You are a loud-mouthed, socially retarded idiot, who doesn’t know much anything about how to best handle people with whom you interact with.

Unlike you, I am not someone who is so foolish as to spend my time going around in circles with people who are incapable of learning. I can tell you that if we had competing forums, whose majorities acted like you vs. like me, my forum would be far more popular than yours, clueless bluegshrill…

Anti-Control on June 20, 2013 at 8:27 AM

bluegill on June 20, 2013 at 6:54 AM

Never forget one thing, Obama is a conviction politician, which is why we’re in the trouble we’re in. He’s surrounded himself with conviction appointees who know what he wants and are willing to do anything to get there. (Think IRS).

We’re going to need a conviction politician next time around to straighten out this mess, if we survive that long.

bflat879 on June 20, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Liam on June 20, 2013 at 6:14 AM

If everyone here thought to handle trolls the way people like KA2, cozmo, Bmore, myself, gophergirl, and Jackalope espouse, how much of troll problem do you believe would exist?

You know as well as I do there wouldn’t be a problem – trolls feed off of negative attention, and if they didn’t get what they are looking for, they’d move on…

Anti-Control on June 20, 2013 at 8:35 AM

hawkdriver on June 20, 2013 at 6:12 AM

Anti-Control on June 20, 2013 at 8:27 AM

I didn’t say it accomplishes nothing. I think I can discern when to reply to comments here or not appropriately. I do appreciate your point of view though.

hawkdriver on June 20, 2013 at 8:41 AM

hawkdriver on June 20, 2013 at 8:41 AM

You’re right, and I noticed that after I posted – I should have included “with him” in the quote. I apologize for the error.

Here is the thing: you and I can disagree, and we are not going to argue. You are not obnoxious, and I was not trying to lump you in with bluegshrill, who doesn’t know anything about good social interaction.

Anti-Control on June 20, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Whatever ‘improved border security’ means as a part of the bill, the problem is that it’s only a part of the bill.

Absolute – as near to it as humanly possible – border security should be the *only* part of a bill being considered. Any talk of ‘amnesty’ should be shelved, and we should be about making it impossible for new illegals to get here, and desirable for the current crop of illegals to go home by making it painful for them to be here.

Secure the border.

Enforce existing law.

Midas on June 20, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Anti-Control on June 20, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Well,that is one line of thought where you and I may differ. On days like today when Bluegill is being reasoned and respectful with his opinion, I cannot see the point in treating him poorly in a reply. I have failed in the past, but I don’t usually resort to name-calling or adopting trolling comment tactics. With the level of vitriol that occurs here, we all fail in that regard from time to time. But when we get to the point where we automatically assume a posture regardless of what’s said, we fail in a large part. Honestly, there are quite a few people here who wouldn’t return a comment to me if their life depended on it. You can try to remember an exchange where you might have alienated them but sometimes people are just annoyed by what we say. And honestly there are a few people whose opinion as vocal Atheists and anti-Christian activists makes it near impossible for me to reply to them. These relationships exist. I do try to keep mine to a minimum.

But libfreeordie is an activist. He seeds these threads and articles with all manner of leftist social aims. As deathtomediahacks, he admitted what he comments here for is to influence people to his liberal way of thinking. What he begs us to consider really needs to be analyzed and taken apart for what it is.

I don’t disagree with your points. Other commenters who are truly trolls don’t deserve your time of day. Libfreeordie I think is just more dedicated and dangerous.

hawkdriver on June 20, 2013 at 9:12 AM

The troll in question, let me remind you of its smarts. It spelled its moniker wrong when it signed up at the last open reg. It is truly a leftist progressive. Dumb as a stump. Seeks only to corrupt threads in a weak attempt to indoctrinate a bunch of staunch died in the wool type Conservatives. It is an idiot.

Bmore on June 20, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Happy Nomad on June 20, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Oh, if only people would have formed tea party groups, or liberty groups, or groups to make America a better place. They should have gotten their act together, got their tax status right, and gone out for a little grassroots rallying. They really dropped the ball on that one.

cptacek on June 20, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Bmore, you don’t comment to me directly anymore either? My social skills are worst that I’d thought.

hawkdriver on June 20, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Rubio’s got gall, in other words, he’s full of shiite. GOP is indeed stupid to allow its face to be that of this disasterous Bill.

RoyalFlush on June 20, 2013 at 10:06 AM

It might seem extreme from judging from one small interaction, but my treatment of bluegshrill is not unwarranted – she (she’s a she, not a he!) goes out of her way to instigate conflict with people who generally agree with her politically, and I consider her a cancer because of that.

She is a bossy, self-righteous control freak who doesn’t understand nor accept the open-thread aspect of QotD, whose social skills are nonexistent – she knows she’s greatly disliked around here, improperly blames others for that instead of herself, and until I see that change, I will can not apologize for how I treat her.

hawkdriver on June 20, 2013 at 9:12 AM

To be clear, I am not trying to change your opinion about libfreeliveenslavedordie himself – I am trying to point out that repetitive arguing with him is useless & counterproductive, and I am pretty sure most readers of HA would agree with me on this.

Anti-Control on June 20, 2013 at 10:08 AM

It’s simply the law of supply and demand. This bill will do nothing to dry up the demand for ultra-low wage, zero benefits workers/welfare moochers who don’t have to report or to pay taxes on their earnings. It’s just like the drug-war: no customers, no drugs.

Knott Buyinit on June 20, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I’m just being honest. :-( wish things had been different.

bluegill on June 20, 2013 at 7:04 AM

Nellie Olsen…in the flesh (so to speak).

Solaratov on June 20, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Nellie Olsen…in the flesh (so to speak).

Solaratov on June 20, 2013 at 10:13 AM

LOL

Laura: I hate that Nellie Oleson!

Caroline: Laura! Don’t say “hate” – don’t even think “hate”! I’m sure Nellie has her good qualities somewhere.

Charles: Your ma’s right, half-pint. Now on the way home, we’ll try and think of some!

Fallon on June 20, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Anti-Control on June 20, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Getting a thousand or more posters to ignore a troll all of the time is an impossible dream. It will never happen.

Dealing with trolls is the responsibility of the PTB of the site. Posters can call their attention troll problems and make appeals for action, but at the end of the day a poster has only one real option if the PTB do not address their problem with trolls — stop posting and stop reading the comments unless/until something is done about it. It’s the same thing you do if a product you are using goes down in quality.

A decrease in comments and traffic might get their attention. It might prompt them to do something about the trolls. Or it might not. They might just have an open registration or two.

farsighted on June 20, 2013 at 11:31 AM

farsighted on June 20, 2013 at 11:31 AM

I don’t know of anyone who is expecting everyone to fall in line with trollcotting.

That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to work together to police ourselves. It’s mistake to lay this burden solely upon the PTB – if you believe that calling for trollcotting hasn’t had any positive impact, you’re wrong.

Anti-Control on June 20, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Well, I see the HA resident Palin hater and all things Conservative has been welcomed into the HA Family.

When a troll stabs you in the back and smiles while doing it, you still get stabbed in the back.

One of the latest:

…how did any of all this snooping help in the Fort Hood shootings?
KOOLAID2 on June 18, 2013 at 7:37 AM

What a sick comment. I expected more from someone of Koolaid’s mental acuity. So, when a terrorist succeeds in murdering and maiming, our reaction should be to get rid of those programs that have stopped similar plots but that don’t have completely perfect track records? You are sounding like the BDS sufferers of the last decade.

Now, wasn’t someone supposed to make their second debut on Fox News today? Why doesn’t that person speak out loudly against Rubio and his illegal alien amnesty push??

bluegill on June 18, 2013 at 10:06 AM

bluefox on June 20, 2013 at 12:13 PM

It’s mistake to lay this burden solely upon the PTB
Anti-Control on June 20, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I guess we will have to agree to disagree about this. I do not think I have any responsibility or need bear any burden for dealing with trolls on a revenue generating site I do not own or derive income from.

When an obvious troll who openly admits it is not here to try change minds and who routinely uses terms like “teabilly” and “teabagger” is allowed to continue posting, and when a long time non-troll poster is banned for a one time us of a derogatory term for another group of people, the PTB are 100% responsible for that.

When a previously banned poster returns under a different name and then regularly race baits, continually hi-jacks threads to make them about race, and frequently issues broad brushed charges of racism, and is allowed to continue doing it, the PTB are 100% responsible for that.

It is their site. They and the people they work for are making money from it.

farsighted on June 20, 2013 at 12:23 PM

It is their site. They and the people they work for are making money from it.

farsighted on June 20, 2013 at 12:23 PM

You misunderstand what I meant when I said, “It’s mistake to lay this burden solely upon the PTB” [which is, to quote you, "Dealing with trolls is the responsibility of the PTB of the site"] – I meant that it’s clear the PTB have already decided how they are going to handle the trolls, so it’s now up to us posters to decide how we should proceed.

Circularly arguing with trolls is a waste of time, and I liken anyone who believes they doing some sort of public service by indulging them to people who’d believe that letting feral cats into their houses is the best way to handle them…

Anti-Control on June 20, 2013 at 12:41 PM