Quotes of the day

posted at 10:11 pm on June 18, 2013 by Allahpundit

It is painful to watch Marco Rubio’s maneuverings on immigration. He is refusing to say whether he will vote “yes” on his own Gang of Eight bill after spending months drafting, defending, and helping shepherd it to the floor. He has supposedly discovered that the enforcement provisions are inadequate, although he has done countless interviews touting that the bill contains the “toughest immigration-enforcement measures in the history of United States” (which is what his website still says). At the same time, Rubio declares the bill 95–96 percent perfect…

Beyond its treatment of illegal immigrants, the very large expansion in legal immigration that the bill would establish is problematic as well. While there are some persuasive economic arguments in favor of expanding legal immigration, the United States is a nation with an economy, not an economy with a nation. Our failure to fully assimilate new immigrants over the past several decades is not a reflection of our inability but our unwillingness to do so. That some are arguing for this bill as a necessary political sop to Hispanic voters is indicative of the toxic ethnic politics that we should be working to eliminate — and that radically higher levels of immigration would almost certainly entrench.

***

“How do we put together a bill and then the guy who put it together says that he may not vote for it?” Graham asked me. “I just don’t get what we’re doing here.”

His specific complaint: that GOP Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida, a fellow member of the Senate “gang of eight” who had spent months drafting a bipartisan immigration reform bill, seemed to be backing away from the legislation.

Rubio said that its border enforcement provisions need to be strengthened — and that he might oppose the bill if he didn’t get strong enough revised language. This infuriated and exasperated Graham, who had joined the gang in the first place to try to do a good legislative deed and also to protect himself politically.

***

Senator Marco Rubio declined to say who in his office told The New Yorker’s Ryan Lizza that “there are some American workers who, for lack of a better term, can’t cut it” and downplayed the importance of the now-controversial quote.

“I’m the senator. It’s my bill. I’m the one that votes on these things. I’m the one that makes decisions. Whatever other people want to opine or say to a reporter or somebody else, I can’t control that,” Rubio said…

“I’ve never viewed a guest-worker program as a way to replace Americans,” he added. ”I viewed it as a way for industries to be able to find labor in those industries where there is a shortage of domestic labor.”

***

“I support Senator Thune’s efforts to require completion of double layered border fencing,” Rubio said in a statement after voting against the amendment. “Properly deployed, these fences have proven highly effective in limiting illegal crossings. That is why the current bill requires $1.5 billion be spent specifically on a border fence plan.”

“However, his amendment does not detail a specific border plan,” Rubio claimed. “Therefore, I opposed his amendment and instead continue to work with my Republican colleagues to arrive at a new measure that improves on the significant border security measures already in the bill.”

***

In a free market, if a new immigrant worker can do a job better than an American worker for a cheaper price, there shouldn’t be a problem with a business hiring the immigrant. But when the immigration bill interacts with Obamacare’s employer mandate, it functions as a reverse tariff against hiring American citizens. It would be like subjecting Americans to a $3,000 tax on purchasing American cars, while allowing them to avoid that tax by purchasing cars from Germany, Japan, or any other country other than America. That’s not free trade. That’s government rigging the game against American citizens.

Sadly, Rubio, who is losing more and more credibility by the day among conservatives, has shown absolutely no leadership on trying to resolve this problem. When I first reported on the issue in April, Rubio spokesman Alex Conant responded that this was the sort of technical problem that could be fixed through amendments as the bill moved through the legislative process. But the issue was never addressed in the more than 200 amendments offered before the Senate Judiciary committee. None of the listed amendments filed since the bill made it to the Senate floor last week tackle the problem either. Despite this, Rubio declared on Sunday, “I think 95, 96 percent of the bill is in perfect shape and ready to go.” I don’t even think Obama would make such an audacious statement about Obamacare to this day.

***

Rohrabacher blasted his GOP colleague Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), a member of the Gang of Eight, for his part in pushing immigration reform.

“Rubio is so confused and so mixed up I think that he has given up his rightful place to advise any of us in Washington what to do, and certainly given up any right to be trusted by the American people,” he said. “It was over and over, contradiction after contradiction, lie after lie.”

***

Andrea Tantaros asked Sessions on her radio show to respond to reports that Rubio has not been seen with the Gang of Eight in public in over two months. “That’s odd,” Sessions said. “He is the one that’s in everybody’s homes running the ads. Makes you want to say ‘Marco, there’s somebody on the television pretending to be you, saying vote for the bill that you recently said shouldn’t pass in its current form.’”

***

Mark Krikorian, executive director of the Center for Immigration Studies, which strongly opposes the Gang’s bill, says Cruz seems reluctant to play a leading role in the immigration debate. “My sense is Cruz is kind of ambivalent,” Krikorian tells National Review Online. “Not ambivalent necessarily on amnesty — he’s pretty convinced that’s a bad idea — but he doesn’t seem to want to be the face of immigration hawkishness.”…

Still, some think Cruz may be wary of leading the opposition to an effort led by Senator Marco Rubio. “He really has wanted to avoid just turning the debate into a Cruz versus Rubio Hispanic rumble in the GOP,” Krikorian says. Indeed, Cruz has directed most of his criticism at Senate Democrats and President Obama, whom he called “the biggest obstacle to passing commonsense immigration reform.” If Cruz is trying to steer clear of the contrast with Rubio, it’s been successful. The press corps would typically salivate over such a conflict, but it has not received much attention, although USA Today did publish (in May) an article titled “Rubio vs. Cruz: Hispanic Conservatives Battle for GOP’s Soul.”

***

“Right now people think Marco isn’t ready,” said one Republican donor, who spoke candidly on condition of anonymity. “That could change if he gets immigration done. But so far people aren’t impressed.”

Republican Party of Florida Chairman Lenny Curry countered that whatever the complexities of Rubio’s decision to go all-in on immigration, it ought to remove any suspicion among his critics that the senator’s too green for national leadership.

“As a new senator, I would think that if there were anywhere people would try to attack him, they might say: ‘What have you done?’” Curry said. “The guy has stuck his neck out, literally stuck his neck out on a big issue. It’s demonstrating leadership and I think it’s what people are looking for.”

Curry added: “I think it helps him and I think it helps the Republican brand.”

***

Rubio’s push on immigration reform is going to get him some insider credit. Faith and Freedom Coalition President Ralph Reed looks favorably upon Rubio’s push. Most donors like Rubio’s new role. He’s also bound to win plaudits from the GOP establishment in the Senate, which is pushing for immigration reform. Overall, this is definitely the correct move for a person who might otherwise be seen as too “outsidery”.

Immigration reform has the additional advantage of being seen as a moderating force. It’s backed by most Americans and is generally supported by the party establishment because it’s seen (rightly or wrongly) as an electoral winner…

So, I think Rubio is making a smart political play by supporting immigration reform so openly. It’s the type of issue that will garner him plaudits from the party establishment – which generally gets to pick Republican nominees. It’ll help to reassure Republicans that he can win, which will likely be a chief concern for primary voters in 2016, as it was in 2012.

At the same time, Rubio can point to other issues where he is an outsider conservative, such as the debt ceiling. Rubio is proving, perhaps, that he knows how to balance the wings of his party correctly.

***

“I frankly think the Senate bill is weak on border security, I think the internal enforcement mechanisms are weak and the triggers are almost laughable.”

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Via the Daily Rushbo.

Via the Right Scoop.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

One of my favorites.

Solaratov on June 19, 2013 at 1:22 AM

PolAgnostic on June 19, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Rolling in dough!! lol…

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Scrumpy,

Bookies were out pocket after being forced to pay out to punters who bet the Queen’s hat would be pink AND peach.

Buckingham Palace said the hat was peach. However, Ladbrokes and racegoers were convinced she was wearing pink.

What’s a Ladbroke?

INC on June 19, 2013 at 1:24 AM

INC on June 19, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Solaratov on June 19, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Since AP is a professed atheist.

This one goes out to ED MORISSEY

Luke 15:11-32

New International Version (NIV)

The Parable of the Lost Son

11 Jesus continued: “There was a man who had two sons. 12 The younger one said to his father, ‘Father, give me my share of the estate.’ So he divided his property between them.

13 “Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living. 14 After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need. 15 So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs. 16 He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.

17 “When he came to his senses, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! 18 I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. 19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants.’ 20 So he got up and went to his father.

“But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

21 “The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’

22 “But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23 Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. 24 For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate.

25 “Meanwhile, the older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing. 26 So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on. 27 ‘Your brother has come,’ he replied, ‘and your father has killed the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.’

28 “The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. 29 But he answered his father, ‘Look! All these years I’ve been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. 30 But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!’

31 “‘My son,’ the father said, ‘you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. 32 But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’”

PolAgnostic on June 19, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Gary Moore: The Messiah will come…

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 1:24 AM

INC on June 19, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Bookmakers, legal betting shops…

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Oh wow that man can play!! I luvs Gary Moore!!

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 1:25 AM

OK, thanks!

INC on June 19, 2013 at 1:26 AM

I tend to like Crystal Wright, a black conservative who for some reason gets ignored by establishment GOP pieces of sh*t. Here, she undresses two recent embarrassments: something Flake’s teenage son has done on Twitter and this abortion bill.

I find abortion as revolting as the next person, but when the fate of the nation hangs on the immigration bill, does it make a lot of sense to take this up?

This is kind of uplifting:

BuckeyeSam on June 19, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Time for old guys to hit the sack………………

Goodnight all…

And, goodnight, America…wherever you are.

Solaratov on June 19, 2013 at 1:28 AM

I want to steal brain from RWM!! ;)

I’ll keep the rest :D

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Scrumpy – with all due respect to RWM, who is Much more than Doubly Blessed in the “Brains” department….

You are the LAST person here who needs to “steal” brains…….you’ve got ‘em to spare, as well!

LOTS of ‘em to spare – for more than a “couple of people’s worth”!

williamg on June 19, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Solaratov on June 19, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Good Night and God Bless!!

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Gary Moore: The Messiah will come…

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 1:24 AM

The Flies – “Jesus Christ”

Anti-Control on June 19, 2013 at 1:31 AM

And folks if you can stand one more Moore song!!

My all time fav amongst many:

Parisenne Walkway

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 1:32 AM

williamg on June 19, 2013 at 1:29 AM

(blushing) Thank you williamg!! :-) {hugs}

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 1:33 AM

And, goodnight, America…wherever you are.

Solaratov on June 19, 2013 at 1:28 AM

We’re right here.

INC on June 19, 2013 at 1:33 AM

PolAgnostic on June 19, 2013 at 1:24 AM

I love that parable.

INC on June 19, 2013 at 1:34 AM

The Flies – “Jesus Christ”

Anti-Control on June 19, 2013 at 1:31 AM

I like this!! Never heard them before…

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 1:41 AM

And, goodnight, America…wherever you are.

Solaratov on June 19, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Good night, sleep well and know the decent people are ALWAYS undercounted and underestimated because they do not seek glory or publicity but happiness and peace.

PolAgnostic on June 19, 2013 at 1:41 AM

I like this!! Never heard them before…

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 1:41 AM

They weren’t famous, and never released many songs.

I listened to that earlier today for the first time in years – it is so good!

Anti-Control on June 19, 2013 at 1:44 AM

And it is time for me to bid you all Adieu…

We shall battle on another day…

“Stay in the Light” (h/t Jackie)

Stay strong my friends!!

God Bless you all

Good night!!

* swoosh *

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 1:47 AM

*re-swoosh*

Yes it is A-C!! Thanks for posting, I bookmarked :-)

*swoosh*

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 1:49 AM

build the da-n fence!!!

neyney on June 19, 2013 at 1:52 AM

I listened to the Levin-Ryan interview.

Ryan is so full of shite it’s unbelievable.

We’ve been sold out. I heard nothing about deporting criminals.

How about giving cash bounties to illegals for pointing out criminals?

As I’ve read, the Senate will pass the amnesty bill, the House will pass an acceptable bill on paper, then the conference committee will phuck us and guys like Ryan will claim “I couldn’t do anything about it.”

Ryan kept talking about e-verify. So what? What are the consequences?

A sheriff I heard tonight said that the best way to solve the problem is cut off the welfare benefits, implement e-verify, and then enforce the laws.

Ryan is a naive shitehead weasel.

BuckeyeSam on June 19, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Good night, ALT!

I will return to my ALT-trolling tomorrow.

This is one of my favorite poems. I was reminded of it by the blue heron that has taken up residence near our pond.

I thought it might remind you to go outside, breathe the air and realize that family, friends & life are far more important than craziness of the internet.

Peace

Snowy Heron

John Ciardi

What lifts the heron leaning on the air
I praise without a name. A crouch, a flare,
a long stroke through the cumulus of trees,
a shaped thought at the sky — then gone. O rare!
Saint Francis, being happiest on his knees,
would have cried Father! Cry anything you please.

But praise. By any name or none. But praise
the white original burst that lights
the heron on his two soft kissing kites.
When saints praise heaven lit by doves or rays,
I sit by pond scum till the air recites
Its heron back. And doubt all else. But praise.

PolAgnostic on June 19, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Rubio is a Hispanic Supremest whose goal is to make America into a Spanish nation. He sees America as a sort of Canada where we can have two languages for a while and then the dinosaur white Americans can die out peacefully. Mendez light. He does not intend to make being white a crime.

pat on June 19, 2013 at 2:16 AM

Fundamentally Reforming America… into another 3rd World dungheap.

profitsbeard on June 19, 2013 at 3:02 AM

Won’t let me post wiki operation wb.

Tried Trwerp.

wolly4321 on June 18, 2013 at 11:41 PM

This is so effing silly…the Washington Redskins’ team name is more of a racial slur!

Anti-Control on June 19, 2013 at 3:04 AM

To be clear, I do not consider “Redskins” to be a slur at all, just that it is closer to one than wb…

Anti-Control on June 19, 2013 at 3:06 AM

“illegal alien” is also a slur, to PC nutcases – I guess that will one day soon be a bannable offense as well?

Anti-Control on June 19, 2013 at 3:12 AM

Harry Chapin — “Greyhound”

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 3:37 AM

Anti-Control on June 19, 2013 at 3:12 AM

They get more cheesed at ‘undocumented Democrat’. LOL I guess it hits too close to home.

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 3:38 AM

Dire Straits was here!!..But very late..:)

Dire Straits on June 19, 2013 at 3:51 AM

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 3:38 AM

lol you’re right – I love how that made Dorco unhappy to have heard it said in front of him!

I would love to sit next to Rubio on an airplane someday and just ask him why. Why this was so important and why it was more important than the people who elected him.

What a slimy icky politician he turned out to me.

gophergirl on June 18, 2013 at 10:17 PM

I don’t believe Dorco’s response would help make you feel any better…I am not exaggerating when I say that Dorco is mentally ill, and not just psychologically dysfunctional like a typical politician.

I think that he has the [dis]ability to be able to convince himself of the truth of whatever he happens to be saying at the time, a quality 0dumba has as well, which would explain why so many people can still like them even when their lies are so obvious. Most politicians who lie profusely, Piglosi for example, are not able to convince themselves the same way imo…

Anti-Control on June 19, 2013 at 3:59 AM

Did someone say Dire Straights?

“Heavy fuel”…

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 4:01 AM

Anti-Control on June 19, 2013 at 3:59 AM

I’m sick to death of accommodating liberals. They’ve pushed too far for too long, ever-demanding.

If I refuse to tolerate the liberal brand of crap and scandal from MY side, what makes them think I’ll tolerate from them — my enemy?

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 4:03 AM

Dire Straits was here!!..But very late..:)

Dire Straits on June 19, 2013 at 3:51 AM

(Myo)Fist – “It’s Late”

Anti-Control on June 19, 2013 at 4:04 AM

Re: Levin/Ryan

Wisconsin has a shortage of dairy workers??? WTF?

So Wisconsin has reached 0% unemployment, eh? Good job!

For a second there I thought Mr. Wonderful Walker in Madison was quietly sitting back while the Wisconsin taxpayers were supporting people on welfare and unemployment even though jobs are available.

What a relief.

Also interesting how either Ryan sidestepped this issue or Levin just decided to let it go…as Levin kept saying, him and Ryan are friends after all…that’s swell. Guess in the long run they both believe cheap immigrant labor is necessary to do work that businessmen don’t want to pay more for Americans doing.

Hoo boy.

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 19, 2013 at 4:22 AM

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 4:03 AM

I hear you…

0dumba is running out of wiggle room: the IRS scandal can only get worse for him; CBS & Sharyl Attkisson know who hacked her, and there is no chance it wasn’t our government; General Ham is going to be interviewed about Benghazi by the House Armed Services Committee next Wednesday; if he loses the Fast and Furious court case, as I expect, I don’t see how that wouldn’t be catastrophic for him.

Look at this:

General Carter Ham To Finally Testify About Benghazi

Although the briefing is behind closed doors, the Committee’s request for information from DoD gives clues as to what they are likely to be talking to the briefers about next week. On April 17 HASC Chairman Buck McKeon (R – CA) sent a letter to Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel requesting the Department of Defense’s classified version of the Benghazi attack timeline after being notified by the Joint Staff there would be delay in delivery, “due to a requirement to coordinate it within the interagency.”

McKeon received no response which prompted a two follow up letters. The first letter on May 8 was to Assistant Secretary of Defense for Legislative Affairs regarding the Department’s uncooperative behavior with the Committee the other letter, sent on May 15 discussed in detail the some questions HASC want to be answered by DoD:

In addition to requesting additional information on how the military was postured to respond to a crisis on September 11 2012, Chairman McKeon asked that the commanding officer of the Site Security Team for Tripoli during the Benghazi attack be made available to Members next week.

“In accordance with the House Armed Services Committee’s responsibility to conduct oversight of the Department of Defense, today I have directed the subcommittee on Oversight & Investigations to convene two or more transcribed member meetings on Benghazi. Though we have received some cooperation from the Pentagon on the timeline of the Benghazi terrorist attacks, several important questions are still unanswered.

“Questions still remain regarding orders issued to a site security team that was in-country. This Committee is also continuing our inquiries into the size, scope, scale, and readiness of U.S. military assets in the region. I have also repeated my request to SecretaryHagel to provide the classified timeline of the attacks, which was denied to this Committee on May 8, 2013.

“There is no reasonable justification to keep this information from the Congress. As such, I have directed Congressman Roby and the O&I Subcommittee to continue in their pursuit of information vital to this committee’s oversight function.”

Anti-Control on June 19, 2013 at 4:25 AM

Anti-Control on June 19, 2013 at 4:25 AM

We need to tidy up our country.

This is not the United States our dads fought WWII to save, preserve, and protect — only to have it rot from the inside and be destroyed by liberals.

I’m middle age, so my time on God’s green earth is getting near its end. I’m thinking more of my three granddaughters — what will they inherit?

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 4:29 AM

Good morning, night owls! I’m up so early because my bus to the Audit the IRS rally in DC leaves at 6 am. Hoping for a huge turnout!

Anti-Control on June 19, 2013 at 4:25 AM

I’m looking forward to General Ham’s testimony. Hopefully he has a shred of honor left in him. But who knows what they’re holding over his head?

Naturally Curly on June 19, 2013 at 4:42 AM

Wisconsin has a shortage of dairy workers??? WTF?

So Wisconsin has reached 0% unemployment, eh? Good job!

What a relief.

Hoo boy.

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 19, 2013 at 4:22 AM

Ryan’s a pseudo-capitalist, and Levin is too much of a paper tiger for my liking…

Anti-Control on June 19, 2013 at 4:46 AM

Anti-Control on June 19, 2013 at 4:46 AM

We no longer have any real heroes, no one to truly inspire the people.

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 4:49 AM

What did the petite annoying one get banned for if anyone knows?

smoothsailing on June 19, 2013 at 5:53 AM

There is no border security in the bill. NONE. It requires Incompetano to come up with a “plan.” There are no requirements for what she must do.

dogsoldier on June 19, 2013 at 5:55 AM

I am so sick to death of commercials, especially Geico and Progressive Insurance ads. They’re all over TV and, worse, on the music videos I like on Youtube.

There used to be commercial breaks. Now, it seems, TV shows are the break between advertisement segments.

ARRRGGGGGHHHHH!

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 5:57 AM

What did the petite annoying one get banned for if anyone knows?

smoothsailing on June 19, 2013 at 5:53 AM

Who got banned? I haven’t heard.

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 5:58 AM

We no longer have any real heroes, no one to truly inspire the people.

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 4:49 AM

Steppin up is risky when your opponents have the NSA and the IRS prepared to destroy you, and if they are busy there’s the BATFE, DHS, and OSHA. Or the EPA.

The fascists will use any means necessary to make us slaves.

dogsoldier on June 19, 2013 at 5:58 AM

We no longer have any real heroes, no one to truly inspire the people.

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 4:49 AM

Liam, and Anti-Control. One of the things Alinsky tells his side to do is divide and isolate the opposition. I think that’s happened with the few vocal heroes we do have out there. Rush being my favorite honestly. The misinformation about what he’s currently saying on his show, by other conservatives is pretty amazing. People on this site are going on and on about how he and Hannity are putty Rudio up on some kind of pedestal still and it isn’t the case. I’ve listened to both their shows and Rubio is getting pretty well knocked around over the immigration bill now. Just as one example.

We need to be more supportive of peoples that do speak on our behalf. We might not always like their style or agree with everything they say, but this is where the liberals beat us every time. They circle wagons, they support common beliefs and they almost never eat their own.

smoothsailing on June 19, 2013 at 6:01 AM

Anyone up for playing “trolls” till ALT is restored ???

PolAgnostic on June 18, 2013 at 11:18 PM

It’s the Hot Air staff themselves who are the ones most guilty of trolling this website.

sartana on June 19, 2013 at 6:02 AM

The fascists will use any means necessary to make us slaves.

dogsoldier on June 19, 2013 at 5:58 AM

I can’t speak for anyone else, but those fascists are going to have a lot of ‘necessary’ to do when it comes to me.

If I have go into that proverbial good night, I won’t be going quietly. And I’m taking at least one of them with me if/when I have to go.

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 6:02 AM

smoothsailing on June 19, 2013 at 6:01 AM

I no longer listen to talk radio, but I sometimes read Rush’s page. He’s not what he used to be, in my view. I find him be more Republican, by family tradition, than he is Conservative.

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 6:04 AM

Who got banned? I haven’t heard.

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 5:58 AM

Annoying little twerp. She’s one of the old timers here I’m pretty sure. I know she’s been writing here way before me anyway. Another commenter I get emails from told me. I don’t know the article it happened on or why.

smoothsailing on June 19, 2013 at 6:05 AM

smoothsailing on June 19, 2013 at 6:05 AM

We have to suffer the abuse of the trolls, and ALT gets banned?

The trolls act out here with impunity, posting anything they like and we have no recourse. Yet, someone like ALT gets banned?

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 6:08 AM

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 6:04 AM

He’s been very critical of all things Republican for a while now. He was hammering Rubio, McCain and Graham for being RINOs. He was pretty hard on the establishment in general and saying the GOP is as guilty as the liberals for falling down on the immigration issue and securing the border. He surprised me when he even went after big names like the Koch Bros just this week.

smoothsailing on June 19, 2013 at 6:12 AM

smoothsailing on June 19, 2013 at 6:12 AM

Okay. Like I said, I don’t listen to talk radio, so I’m not up on current events.

I began listening to Rush in 1989, when he first came on the scene in New York. He’s the one who help me wipe away the last vestiges of liberalism I had. And I used to be VERY liberal.

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 6:14 AM

A simple question for Sen. Rubio: which parts of the bill, exactly, did you, personally, write?

Not your Soros-backed staffers, but you, personally, Sen. Rubio?

Because you should be able to do that if you are so personally invested in getting this thing going, no? And if the law is too complex for one Senator to figure out, then what are the chances of an ordinary citizen without staff to help them?

ajacksonian on June 19, 2013 at 6:27 AM

good morning crew!

rubio, rubio rubio…you had so much going for ya…

————————-

willie geist and politico only seem to care about gop mishaps…the dems must be squeaky clean and do no wrong…

cmsinaz on June 19, 2013 at 6:28 AM

nicole wallace finally said it….politico only wants to focus on gop gaffes…politico trying defend it…pathetic

cmsinaz on June 19, 2013 at 6:30 AM

ajacksonian on June 19, 2013 at 6:27 AM

He didn’t write a single word.

The bill weighs 24lbs. Do you know how much paper that is, how many pages?

Like Obamacare, this thing has been in-process for years, waiting in the wings to finally be brought out and presented. It’s been collecting dust, occasionally tweaked and refined over time.

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 6:31 AM

cmsinaz on June 19, 2013 at 6:30 AM

Happy Wednesday!

The media are our biggest enemy.

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 6:32 AM

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 6:32 AM

Morning Liam…
yes they are…

cmsinaz on June 19, 2013 at 6:44 AM

Morning Liam…
yes they are…

cmsinaz on June 19, 2013 at 6:44 AM

If the balloon ever goes up, people like Tingles might want to hide or, better for them, leave the country. They always scream for ‘justice’, so they’re going to finally get it — the first of many to whom it’s owed.

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 6:47 AM

Good Morning, Patriots!

“From Flower Children to Beltway Boys: America’s Crisis of Leadership”
My take.

kingsjester on June 19, 2013 at 6:48 AM

kingsjester on June 19, 2013 at 6:48 AM

Good, as always.

The only thing I regret at the time, being your age, is I was too young for the love-ins. ;-)

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 6:54 AM

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 6:47 AM

indeed

cmsinaz on June 19, 2013 at 6:54 AM

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 6:54 AM

Thank you.

kingsjester on June 19, 2013 at 6:55 AM

kingsjester on June 19, 2013 at 6:48 AM

Morning KJ

great take….born 10 years after you

cmsinaz on June 19, 2013 at 6:56 AM

ajacksonian on June 19, 2013 at 6:27 AM

Who would have thought that ABR would so quickly have been recycled from “Anybody but Romney” to “Anybody but Rubio.” Marco Rubio is a rat fink who lost all credibility because of his lies about this bill that has nothing to do with immigration and everything to do with granting amnesty to undocumented Democrats.

Happy Nomad on June 19, 2013 at 6:56 AM

we are in the middle of a war
-dear leader presser in germany

didn’t he say earlier that the war on terror is over?

cmsinaz on June 19, 2013 at 7:01 AM

Happy Nomad on June 19, 2013 at 6:56 AM

Rat Fink Rubio…

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 7:01 AM

Happy Wednesday!

The media are our biggest enemy.

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 6:32 AM

Nope. Pogo had it right.

Our biggest enemy are the LIVs. The idiots who “don’t follow politics” and get their news from Jon Stewart, Jay Leno, Jimmy Kimmel, and Stephen Colbert. The morons who can’t tell you who this Ben Ghazi guy is but can draw a complete family tree of all the Kardashians and all their baby daddies.

Seriously, we get the government we deserve. For too many voters Honey Boo Boo is more important than becoming an informed citizen.

Happy Nomad on June 19, 2013 at 7:03 AM

we are in the middle of a war
-dear leader presser in germany

didn’t he say earlier that the war on terror is over?

cmsinaz on June 19, 2013 at 7:01 AM

We are in the middle of a war, all right. But it hasn’t gotten hot yet.

Obama and the Left don’t know the nature of it, though.

Like it has been said, “Beware the wrath of a patient man.”

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 7:03 AM

Happy Nomad on June 19, 2013 at 7:03 AM

*sigh*

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 7:03 AM

hmmm

cmsinaz on June 19, 2013 at 7:05 AM

didn’t he say earlier that the war on terror is over?

cmsinaz on June 19, 2013 at 7:01 AM

Yeah but he also claims that there hasn’t been a single act of domestic terrorism since the 9/11/01 atrocities so take such hypocrisy for what it is. I suspect this latest flip has to do with CYA from NSA snooping on G-8 citizens in the name of counterterrorism. He’ll flop once he and his despicable family are back on American soil.

Happy Nomad on June 19, 2013 at 7:07 AM

Happy Nomad on June 19, 2013 at 7:03 AM

You have a strong case, there, friend. My view is, once you cut off the head, the rest are left adrift. Then they can be fixed.

Those running the show are already set in their ways, and beyond redemption. They have their bully pulpit, and we need to take that away from them. Than comes the fun: What would Tingles be able to do if he never again could be before a camera? How could he earn his livelihood — with one of his precious Obama’s shovel-ready job?

Far as I’m concerned, if Tingles had to do any real work, it would kill him. Hell, a good f*ck and a bicycle ride would be the death of him.

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 7:09 AM

We no longer have any real heroes, no one to truly inspire the people.

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 4:49 AM

I’ll be honest, I am not someone who looks to politicians for inspiration!

I’ll add that I certainly am not down on all of them equally, and I do believe that some of them are heroic. As far as Senators go, I trust Cruz to do what he believes is the right thing – his vote against Kerry for SoS said a lot to me…

Anti-Control on June 19, 2013 at 7:10 AM

He’ll flop once he and his despicable family are back on American soil.

Happy Nomad on June 19, 2013 at 7:07 AM

While the Obamas are in Africa, can we maybe find a way to hide the country so they can’t find it?

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 7:11 AM

cmsinaz on June 19, 2013 at 6:56 AM

Thank you, ma’am!

kingsjester on June 19, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Anti-Control on June 19, 2013 at 7:10 AM

I’ll give Cruz some leeway for now. I prefer to wait on developments over the long term.

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 7:12 AM

Happy Nomad on June 19, 2013 at 7:07 AM

yup

cmsinaz on June 19, 2013 at 7:14 AM

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 7:09 AM

I know you’re talking about the media but Allen West is guest co-hosting on local talk radio this morning. They were talking to Rep. Steve King (the Congressman from IA, not the crybaby from NY). One of the things they discussed was taking back the term “conservative” which has been co-opted by the likes of Rubio, McCain and the rest of the rat fink brigade. Their conclusion, and I tend to agree, was that this is only going to happen as a grassroots movement and not from any reliance on the media finally “getting it.”

Happy Nomad on June 19, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Happy Nomad on June 19, 2013 at 7:20 AM

I agree. Because of the LSM and LIVs, the population has no clue what it is to be Conservative.

That’s what galls me most about our trolls, what makes me so hostile toward them: They define us according to their ignorance, when they have no idea what it means to be Conservative; they have never been one of us.

Many of us, on the other hand, have been liberal and came to reject it.

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 7:24 AM

I’ll be honest, I am not someone who looks to politicians for inspiration!

Anti-Control on June 19, 2013 at 7:10 AM

You are right. Even if somebody in elective office is inspirational it is because they are leaders, visionary, or something. It is not because they are politicians.

The fact of the matter is that we live in a world where public figures like politicians are built up so they can be immediately torn down by the media vultures (the rat-eared coward being one exception).

Happy Nomad on June 19, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Rat Fink Rubio…

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 7:01 AM

From the movie, “Rat Pfink a Boo Boo”, for Dorco:

I got the words for you
Because it’s what you is
You s a rat pfink
You is a rat pfink

Anti-Control on June 19, 2013 at 7:28 AM

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 7:24 AM

this

cmsinaz on June 19, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 7:12 AM

I called Cruz’s office yesterday and said that we really need him to speak up on his opposition like he did on gun rights. This is no time to by shy on this issue. So far, my vote hasn’t been wasted but it’s hammer time now.

TxAnn56 on June 19, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 7:24 AM

I’ve got to disagree slightly. Our trolls do not try to define us according to their ignorance. They don’t try to define us at all. They set up strawmen “conservatives” or “Republicans” and paint us all as intolerant, homophobic, racist, gun and Bible-clinging, misogynists. They are not smart enough to debate on the merits so they content themselves with screaming “racist” at their strawmen depiction no matter what one of us posts.

Happy Nomad on June 19, 2013 at 7:34 AM

So far, my vote hasn’t been wasted but it’s hammer time now.

TxAnn56 on June 19, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Yes. And that hammer is getting bigger every day.

People I know, most of whom are neither Conservative like me nor Christian, are seriously p*ssed.

We’re out of patience and the enemy is out of time.

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Happy Nomad on June 19, 2013 at 7:34 AM

I see your point, and tend to agree in quite some measure. I try holding out hope for them, though oftentimes it seems a waste of energy. Still, I don’t want to lose the last vestiges of what whatever keeps me from being a total cynic. It’s hard enough, some days, being 99% there.

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 7:41 AM

What did the petite annoying one get banned for if anyone knows?

smoothsailing on June 19, 2013 at 5:53 AM

Apparently for using the term, “wetb@ck”?

That does not rise to the level of a bannable slur imo – at worst it deserves a warning. Of course, I am not someone who decides that here…

Anti-Control on June 19, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Anti-Control on June 19, 2013 at 7:42 AM

But it was perfectly okay for HAL to effectively call, on Sunday, the late mother of one of us a trailer park wh*re.

Liam on June 19, 2013 at 7:44 AM

smoothsailing on June 19, 2013 at 6:01 AM

I don’t know how giving fair criticism of my imperfect political allies could rightfully be construed as “unsupportive” or “counterproductive” behavior.

I don’t tolerate excuse-making for or by anyone, including myself – having such an attitude makes it easier to go through life! :) As well, I am not unheathily cynical, and dislike it when others are that way.

Anti-Control on June 19, 2013 at 8:01 AM

ALT will be missed, if the banning report is true. :(

22044 on June 19, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Since the Obamacare tax penalty is assessed every year, and since amnestied illegal alien employees are exempt from Obamacare for at least 10 years under Rubio’s amnesty bill, the tax or tariff for employers who hire an American instead of an amnestied illegal alien is $3,000 (at least) for 10 years (at least) — or $30,000.

If hiring an American employee is going to cost an employer $30,000 more than hiring an amnestied illegal alien employee, guess which one is going to get hired?

AZCoyote on June 19, 2013 at 8:27 AM

The Chicago SEIU is paying for a blitz of radio ads blasting Sen. Mark Kirk (R-lite IL), saying he has aligned with the “Tea Party Extremists” in the Senate by not voting for the immigration bill. Some days, I feel like I am living in Bizarro World.

Fallon on June 19, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Good Morning, Patriots!

“From Flower Children to Beltway Boys: America’s Crisis of Leadership”
My take.

kingsjester on June 19, 2013 at 6:48 AM

..born in the early 50′s…no wonder you feel like a brother to me!

KOOLAID2 on June 19, 2013 at 8:31 AM

I hope ALT has only been put in a temporary Time-Out and has not been SWalkered.

Weird times…