Quotes of the day

posted at 10:11 pm on June 18, 2013 by Allahpundit

It is painful to watch Marco Rubio’s maneuverings on immigration. He is refusing to say whether he will vote “yes” on his own Gang of Eight bill after spending months drafting, defending, and helping shepherd it to the floor. He has supposedly discovered that the enforcement provisions are inadequate, although he has done countless interviews touting that the bill contains the “toughest immigration-enforcement measures in the history of United States” (which is what his website still says). At the same time, Rubio declares the bill 95–96 percent perfect…

Beyond its treatment of illegal immigrants, the very large expansion in legal immigration that the bill would establish is problematic as well. While there are some persuasive economic arguments in favor of expanding legal immigration, the United States is a nation with an economy, not an economy with a nation. Our failure to fully assimilate new immigrants over the past several decades is not a reflection of our inability but our unwillingness to do so. That some are arguing for this bill as a necessary political sop to Hispanic voters is indicative of the toxic ethnic politics that we should be working to eliminate — and that radically higher levels of immigration would almost certainly entrench.

***

“How do we put together a bill and then the guy who put it together says that he may not vote for it?” Graham asked me. “I just don’t get what we’re doing here.”

His specific complaint: that GOP Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida, a fellow member of the Senate “gang of eight” who had spent months drafting a bipartisan immigration reform bill, seemed to be backing away from the legislation.

Rubio said that its border enforcement provisions need to be strengthened — and that he might oppose the bill if he didn’t get strong enough revised language. This infuriated and exasperated Graham, who had joined the gang in the first place to try to do a good legislative deed and also to protect himself politically.

***

Senator Marco Rubio declined to say who in his office told The New Yorker’s Ryan Lizza that “there are some American workers who, for lack of a better term, can’t cut it” and downplayed the importance of the now-controversial quote.

“I’m the senator. It’s my bill. I’m the one that votes on these things. I’m the one that makes decisions. Whatever other people want to opine or say to a reporter or somebody else, I can’t control that,” Rubio said…

“I’ve never viewed a guest-worker program as a way to replace Americans,” he added. ”I viewed it as a way for industries to be able to find labor in those industries where there is a shortage of domestic labor.”

***

“I support Senator Thune’s efforts to require completion of double layered border fencing,” Rubio said in a statement after voting against the amendment. “Properly deployed, these fences have proven highly effective in limiting illegal crossings. That is why the current bill requires $1.5 billion be spent specifically on a border fence plan.”

“However, his amendment does not detail a specific border plan,” Rubio claimed. “Therefore, I opposed his amendment and instead continue to work with my Republican colleagues to arrive at a new measure that improves on the significant border security measures already in the bill.”

***

In a free market, if a new immigrant worker can do a job better than an American worker for a cheaper price, there shouldn’t be a problem with a business hiring the immigrant. But when the immigration bill interacts with Obamacare’s employer mandate, it functions as a reverse tariff against hiring American citizens. It would be like subjecting Americans to a $3,000 tax on purchasing American cars, while allowing them to avoid that tax by purchasing cars from Germany, Japan, or any other country other than America. That’s not free trade. That’s government rigging the game against American citizens.

Sadly, Rubio, who is losing more and more credibility by the day among conservatives, has shown absolutely no leadership on trying to resolve this problem. When I first reported on the issue in April, Rubio spokesman Alex Conant responded that this was the sort of technical problem that could be fixed through amendments as the bill moved through the legislative process. But the issue was never addressed in the more than 200 amendments offered before the Senate Judiciary committee. None of the listed amendments filed since the bill made it to the Senate floor last week tackle the problem either. Despite this, Rubio declared on Sunday, “I think 95, 96 percent of the bill is in perfect shape and ready to go.” I don’t even think Obama would make such an audacious statement about Obamacare to this day.

***

Rohrabacher blasted his GOP colleague Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), a member of the Gang of Eight, for his part in pushing immigration reform.

“Rubio is so confused and so mixed up I think that he has given up his rightful place to advise any of us in Washington what to do, and certainly given up any right to be trusted by the American people,” he said. “It was over and over, contradiction after contradiction, lie after lie.”

***

Andrea Tantaros asked Sessions on her radio show to respond to reports that Rubio has not been seen with the Gang of Eight in public in over two months. “That’s odd,” Sessions said. “He is the one that’s in everybody’s homes running the ads. Makes you want to say ‘Marco, there’s somebody on the television pretending to be you, saying vote for the bill that you recently said shouldn’t pass in its current form.’”

***

Mark Krikorian, executive director of the Center for Immigration Studies, which strongly opposes the Gang’s bill, says Cruz seems reluctant to play a leading role in the immigration debate. “My sense is Cruz is kind of ambivalent,” Krikorian tells National Review Online. “Not ambivalent necessarily on amnesty — he’s pretty convinced that’s a bad idea — but he doesn’t seem to want to be the face of immigration hawkishness.”…

Still, some think Cruz may be wary of leading the opposition to an effort led by Senator Marco Rubio. “He really has wanted to avoid just turning the debate into a Cruz versus Rubio Hispanic rumble in the GOP,” Krikorian says. Indeed, Cruz has directed most of his criticism at Senate Democrats and President Obama, whom he called “the biggest obstacle to passing commonsense immigration reform.” If Cruz is trying to steer clear of the contrast with Rubio, it’s been successful. The press corps would typically salivate over such a conflict, but it has not received much attention, although USA Today did publish (in May) an article titled “Rubio vs. Cruz: Hispanic Conservatives Battle for GOP’s Soul.”

***

“Right now people think Marco isn’t ready,” said one Republican donor, who spoke candidly on condition of anonymity. “That could change if he gets immigration done. But so far people aren’t impressed.”

Republican Party of Florida Chairman Lenny Curry countered that whatever the complexities of Rubio’s decision to go all-in on immigration, it ought to remove any suspicion among his critics that the senator’s too green for national leadership.

“As a new senator, I would think that if there were anywhere people would try to attack him, they might say: ‘What have you done?’” Curry said. “The guy has stuck his neck out, literally stuck his neck out on a big issue. It’s demonstrating leadership and I think it’s what people are looking for.”

Curry added: “I think it helps him and I think it helps the Republican brand.”

***

Rubio’s push on immigration reform is going to get him some insider credit. Faith and Freedom Coalition President Ralph Reed looks favorably upon Rubio’s push. Most donors like Rubio’s new role. He’s also bound to win plaudits from the GOP establishment in the Senate, which is pushing for immigration reform. Overall, this is definitely the correct move for a person who might otherwise be seen as too “outsidery”.

Immigration reform has the additional advantage of being seen as a moderating force. It’s backed by most Americans and is generally supported by the party establishment because it’s seen (rightly or wrongly) as an electoral winner…

So, I think Rubio is making a smart political play by supporting immigration reform so openly. It’s the type of issue that will garner him plaudits from the party establishment – which generally gets to pick Republican nominees. It’ll help to reassure Republicans that he can win, which will likely be a chief concern for primary voters in 2016, as it was in 2012.

At the same time, Rubio can point to other issues where he is an outsider conservative, such as the debt ceiling. Rubio is proving, perhaps, that he knows how to balance the wings of his party correctly.

***

“I frankly think the Senate bill is weak on border security, I think the internal enforcement mechanisms are weak and the triggers are almost laughable.”

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Via the Daily Rushbo.

Via the Right Scoop.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

I could put it in a vice and pound on it with a big hammer. Actually a 45 angle would work.

SparkPlug on June 19, 2013 at 12:14 AM

I like ALT a lot- she and I share a medical condition…..I think she relates to me …… but I’m not sure…

She helps make this a better place to spend time………

williamg on June 18, 2013 at 11:59 PM

I know.

INC on June 19, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Thank you! I have to drop by and catch up. I’ve been tired and stressed—last week was like going through mud. We couldn’t do several things at once to get ready for a move. We had to see how one thing would play out before we could go to the next thing! Things are coming along slowly, but they are gradually working out—for which we’re very grateful.

INC on June 18, 2013 at 11:53 PM

I can imagine. And then you didn’t have too much of a break between you son’s graduation and the wedding either!! We’ve moved several times, so I can relate. Across Country is harder too.

I’m sure you’ve got many lists, LOL Only way to keep up!!

bluefox on June 19, 2013 at 12:15 AM

ALT, if you read – I like you a lot!

You fought hard. Consider it a badge of honor.

To be banned means you’re not a lilly.

The land is already lost due to PC. It will kill all.

Big hug.

Schadenfreude on June 19, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Hi. Can’t find a wrench I need. Might have to become a blacksmith and make one.

SparkPlug on June 19, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Here are what I could find quickly. Hope they help

;->

Pushed the button on the electric wench and it would not work.

Communications between drill operator and wench operator.

Turned out she was a serving wench at a Renaissance festival.

We used a wench on the swamp buggy to lift hogs onto the back to transport.

Temperance was a delicate wench.

Try to stop me, you young wench.

If it is too heavy you may need to involve lifting equipment, such as a hoist and wench.

She’s still a cold, heartless wench.

PolAgnostic on June 19, 2013 at 12:17 AM

PolAgnostic……

[1] This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;
[2] Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.
[3] And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:
[4] And the days of Adam after he had begotten Seth were eight hundred years: and he begat sons and daughters:
[5] And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years: and he died.
[6] And Seth lived an hundred and five years, and begat Enos:
[7] And Seth lived after he begat Enos eight hundred and seven years, and begat sons and daughters:
[8] And all the days of Seth were nine hundred and twelve years: and he died.
[9] And Enos lived ninety years, and begat Cainan:
[10] And Enos lived after he begat Cainan eight hundred and fifteen years, and begat sons and daughters:
[11] And all the days of Enos were nine hundred and five years: and he died.
[12] And Cainan lived seventy years, and begat Mahalaleel:
[13] And Cainan lived after he begat Mahalaleel eight hundred and forty years, and begat sons and daughters:
[14] And all the days of Cainan were nine hundred and ten years: and he died.
[15] And Mahalaleel lived sixty and five years, and begat Jared:
[16] And Mahalaleel lived after he begat Jared eight hundred and thirty years, and begat sons and daughters:
[17] And all the days of Mahalaleel were eight hundred ninety and five years: and he died.
[18] And Jared lived an hundred sixty and two years, and he begat Enoch:
[19] And Jared lived after he begat Enoch eight hundred years, and begat sons and daughters:
[20] And all the days of Jared were nine hundred sixty and two years: and he died.
[21] And Enoch lived sixty and five years, and begat Methuselah:
[22] And Enoch walked with God after he begat Methuselah three hundred years, and begat sons and daughters:
[23] And all the days of Enoch were three hundred sixty and five years:
[24] And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.
[25] And Methuselah lived an hundred eighty and seven years, and begat Lamech:
[26] And Methuselah lived after he begat Lamech seven hundred eighty and two years, and begat sons and daughters:
[27] And all the days of Methuselah were nine hundred sixty and nine years: and he died.
[28] And Lamech lived an hundred eighty and two years, and begat a son:
[29] And he called his name Noah, saying, This same shall comfort us concerning our work and toil of our hands, because of the ground which the LORD hath cursed.
[30] And Lamech lived after he begat Noah five hundred ninety and five years, and begat sons and daughters:
[31] And all the days of Lamech were seven hundred seventy and seven years: and he died.
[32] And Noah was five hundred years old: and Noah begat Shem, Ham, and Japheth.

And so it goes…………………

Solaratov on June 19, 2013 at 12:17 AM

bluefox on June 19, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Last Thursday evening I was in paralysis mode—I mean pretty much in absolute this-will-never-be-able-to-happen mode. Things are much better now.

INC on June 19, 2013 at 12:18 AM

williamg on June 18, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Evening williamg! :)

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Schadenfreude on June 19, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Well said Schadenfreude… (:

I second that!

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 12:19 AM

In a world beyond, beyond
In a land past hope and fear
I bid you ALT, now appear!

Cheshire Cat on June 19, 2013 at 12:19 AM

PolAgnostic on June 19, 2013 at 12:17 AM

That’s funny!! Lol!

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 12:20 AM

PolAgnostic on June 19, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Thanks. That might solve my problem. I have an open end wench but not a socket wench.

SparkPlug on June 19, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Cheshire Cat on June 19, 2013 at 12:19 AM

I love it when you pop in!! Good to see you (:

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Hi. Can’t find a wrench I need. Might have to become a blacksmithperson and make one.

SparkPlug on June 19, 2013 at 12:05 AM

FIFY so you won’t get banned.

TxAnn56 on June 19, 2013 at 12:09 AM

What’s the ruling on whitesmiths? Are those allowed or are they really, really bad in today’s PC environment?

viking01 on June 19, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Inc,

Glad things are going Ok for you.

SparkPlug on June 19, 2013 at 12:22 AM

INC on June 19, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Glad to see things going your way INC!! Good Luck :)

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 12:23 AM

And I’m 532 but that’s in dog years.
Goodnight.

countrybumpkin on June 19, 2013 at 12:24 AM

I could make one out of aluminum

SparkPlug on June 19, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Well, I’m not happy about ALT being banned either. She contributed quite a bit, hopefully that decision will be reconsidered.
No one wants to see slurs on here, however I would think that a stern warning or a ban with a certain time limit would certainly suffice for a contributor like ALT.
ORconservative on June 18, 2013 at 11:59 PM

…I’ve been combing the threads and don’t see…COMMENT DELETED…or any hammer marks….it may just be purgatory !

KOOLAID2 on June 19, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Trolls hijack threads, most all threads they are interested in, never the ones they can’t defend, contrary to the house rules…and the ownership ignores…because it’s good for HA Capitalism.

Schadenfreude on June 19, 2013 at 12:13 AM

You have no doubt seen and read this above … but for the squishes who might have missed it

Seriously, Hot Air staff, you don’t KNOW the readers are here for the links, learning and EFFORT the commenters provide in their content ???

JABBERWOCKY – Lewis Carroll

(from Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There, 1872)

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

“Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!”

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought –
So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

“And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!’
He chortled in his joy.

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

PolAgnostic on June 19, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Under Pressure: Queen…

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Look at things this way: If they don’t pass immigration reform, SSDI goes COMPLETELY broke in 3 years. That means ZERO new enrollments for social security disability and paying out only what comes in through payroll tax. It means that Social Security retirement trust fund goes COMPLETELY broke in 13 years. NO new enrollments in social security retirement and only paying out what comes in from taxes.

Folks, our backs are against the wall on Social Security and everyone is trying their best not to mention that elephant in the room. That is what this debate is really all about.

crosspatch on June 19, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Hey, Sparky & Scrumpy,

Thank you! I’ll be in and out for the next couple of weeks. Then probably more here than there for a few months.

INC on June 19, 2013 at 12:27 AM

I could make one out of aluminum

SparkPlug on June 19, 2013 at 12:24 AM

That’s only for hats!

INC on June 19, 2013 at 12:28 AM

KOOLAID2 on June 19, 2013 at 12:24 AM

I Hope So!!!

alt: we got your back!!

Take care out there.. :-)

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 12:28 AM

What move?

bluefox on June 19, 2013 at 12:09 AM

…saw INC just told you!…(and it’s OP and HIS dad!)
(:->)

KOOLAID2 on June 19, 2013 at 12:28 AM

PolAgnostic on June 18, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Hey, those are interesting sleep tips. Some are funny, some relaxing and making me sleepy, LOL

bluefox on June 19, 2013 at 12:29 AM

As far I understood Ryan, if his “metrics” is not satisfied in five years, he will declare legalized former “undocumented” immigrants illegal again, he will remove their documents with probationary status and will make then undocumented again. I do not believe he is stupid, but obviously both Rubio and Ryan consider us stupid.

Rubio and Ryan are typical politicians. They lie. In fact, I am beginning to wonder if Rubio is capable of telling the truth.

bw222 on June 19, 2013 at 12:29 AM

INC on June 19, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Well, when you are here and not there all is happy again here, but there they will miss you too, so divvy up your time and don’t get lost in the spiral void coming and going from there to here and back again!! ;-D

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 12:30 AM

And so it goes…………………

Solaratov on June 19, 2013 at 12:17 AM

and so it goes, goes, goes …

Quite so! You catch hold of that end and I’ll start from the other.

1The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show unto his servants, even the things which must shortly come to pass: and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John; 1:2who bare witness of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, even of all things that he saw. 1:3Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of the prophecy, and keep the things that are written therein: for the time is at hand. 1:4John to the seven churches that are in Asia: Grace to you and peace, from him who is and who was and who is to come; and from the seven Spirits that are before his throne; 1:5and from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loveth us, and loosed us from our sins by his blood; 1:6and he made us to be a kingdom, to be priests unto his God and Father; to him be the glory and the dominion for ever and ever. Amen. 1:7Behold, he cometh with the clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they that pierced him; and all the tribes of the earth shall mourn over him. Even so, Amen. 1:8I am the Alpha and the Omega, saith the Lord God, who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty. 1:9I John, your brother and partaker with you in tribulation and kingdom and patience which are in Jesus, was in the isle that is called Patmos, for the word of God and the testimony of Jesus. 1:10I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s day, and I heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet 1:11saying, What thou seest, write in a book and send it to the seven churches: unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamum, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea. 1:12And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And having turned I saw seven golden candlesticks; 1:13and in the midst of the candlesticks one like unto a son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about at the breasts with a golden girdle. 1:14And his head and his hair were white as white wool, white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire; 1:15and his feet like unto burnished brass, as if it had been refined in a furnace; and his voice as the voice of many waters. 1:16And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth proceeded a sharp two-edged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength. 1:17And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as one dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying, Fear not; I am the first and the last, 1:18and the Living one; and I was dead, and behold, I am alive for evermore, and I have the keys of death and of Hades. 1:19Write therefore the things which thou sawest, and the things which are, and the things which shall come to pass hereafter; 1:20the mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks are seven churches.

2:1To the angel of the church in Ephesus write: These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, he that walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks: 2:2I know thy works, and thy toil and patience, and that thou canst not bear evil men, and didst try them that call themselves apostles, and they are not, and didst find them false; 2:3and thou hast patience and didst bear for my name’s sake, and hast not grown weary. 2:4But I have this against thee, that thou didst leave thy first love. 2:5Remember therefore whence thou art fallen, and repent and do the first works; or else I come to thee, and will move thy candlestick out of its place, except thou repent. 2:6But this thou hast, that thou hatest the works of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate. 2:7He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith to the churches. To him that overcometh, to him will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the Paradise of God. 2:8And to the angel of the church in Smyrna write: These things saith the first and the last, who was dead, and lived again: 2:9I know thy tribulation, and thy poverty (but thou art rich), and the blasphemy of them that say they are Jews, and they art not, but are a synagogue of Satan. 2:10Fear not the things which thou art about to suffer: behold, the devil is about to cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days. Be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee the crown of life. 2:11He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith to the churches. He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death. 2:12and to the angel of the church in Pergamum write: These things saith he that hath the sharp two-edged sword: 2:13I know where thou dwellest, even where Satan’s throne is; and thou holdest fast my name, and didst not deny my faith, even in the days of Antipas my witness, my faithful one, who was killed among you, where Satan dwelleth. 2:14But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there some that hold the teaching of Balaam, who taught Balak to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed to idols, and to commit fornication. 2:15So hast thou also some that hold the teaching of the Nicolaitans in like manner. 2:16Repent therefore; or else I come to thee quickly, and I will make war against them with the sword of my mouth. 2:17He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith to the churches. To him that overcometh, to him will I give of the hidden manna, and I will give him a white stone, and upon the stone a new name written, which no one knoweth but he that receiveth it. 2:18And to the angel of the church in Thyatira write: These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like a flame of fire, and his feet are like unto burnished brass: 2:19I know thy works, and thy love and faith and ministry and patience, and that thy last works are more than the first. 2:20But I have this against thee, that thou sufferest the woman Jezebel, who calleth herself a prophetess; and she teacheth and seduceth my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed to idols. 2:21And I gave her time that she should repent; and she willeth not to repent of her fornication. 2:22Behold, I cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of her works. 2:23And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he that searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto each one of you according to your works. 2:24But to you I say, to the rest that are in Thyatira, as many as have not this teaching, who know not the deep things of Satan, as they are wont to say; I cast upon you none other burden. 2:25Nevertheless that which ye have, hold fast till I come. 2:26And he that overcometh, and he that keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give authority over the nations: 2:27and he shall rule them with a rod of iron, as the vessels of the potter are broken to shivers; as I also have received of my Father: 2:28and I will give him the morning star. 2:29He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith to the churches.

PolAgnostic on June 19, 2013 at 12:30 AM

crosspatch on June 19, 2013 at 12:26 AM

If this is the real case, then why don’t they come out and say so?

Instead of throwing up smoke and mirrors, which piss us off, and the incessant lying to us?

It HAS to be more than that crosspatch… it has to be…

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 12:32 AM

viking01 on June 19, 2013 at 12:21 AM

They’re the oppressors of the blacksmiths.

They been keepin’ ‘em down all these years.

It’s time for reparations!

Solaratov on June 19, 2013 at 12:34 AM

INC on June 19, 2013 at 12:27 AM

“Sometimes the rest of you go away, but I’m always right here.”

And here I shall abide unto the returning of the ALTernative voice.

PolAgnostic on June 19, 2013 at 12:35 AM

INC on June 19, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Better by far to go There and Back Again.

INC on June 19, 2013 at 12:36 AM

crosspatch on June 19, 2013 at 12:26 AM

If there weren’t so many drunk driving Mexicans in the U.S., there wouldn’t be as many disabled Americans.

VorDaj on June 19, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Ooop’s I posted a quote from ALyT, she is reading, and banned.

The quote is in moderation. Maybe me too…

cozmo on June 18, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Cozmo, are you still with us?

wolverinefan on June 19, 2013 at 12:37 AM

NY’ers are funny. I lived there for a year or so. Surprising how many terms I heard.. wop and jew mostly. But they’ll judge Texans and Arizonans.

Hell,, the guy I work with calls HIMSELF a wb. My best friend. Citizen.

wolly4321 on June 19, 2013 at 12:37 AM

I could make one out of aluminum

SparkPlug on June 19, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Ahhh, but could you make one out of that British stuff …

… AL-loo-min-eee-uummm?

PolAgnostic on June 19, 2013 at 12:37 AM

INC on June 19, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Nice!! Love all the Hobbit books…

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 12:38 AM

PolAgnostic on June 19, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Hahahahaha !! yeah just try it ;)

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 12:39 AM

As an aside …

… I should go TROLLING more often …

Suddenly, many of the posts in QOTD are on topic!

That is pretty rare for three pages in …

PolAgnostic on June 19, 2013 at 12:40 AM

williamg on June 19, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Depressed not allowed G! :)

Nice pick…

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 12:41 AM

PolAgnostic on June 19, 2013 at 12:40 AM

That it is… keep it up! :)

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 12:41 AM

That’s funny!! Lol!

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Hey, Chrissy……still here?

williamg on June 19, 2013 at 12:42 AM

I Have a Rendezvous with Death

by Alan Seeger

I have a rendezvous with Death
At some disputed barricade,
When Spring comes back with rustling shade
And apple-blossoms fill the air—
I have a rendezvous with Death
When Spring brings back blue days and fair.

It may be he shall take my hand
And lead me into his dark land
And close my eyes and quench my breath—
It may be I shall pass him still.
I have a rendezvous with Death
On some scarred slope of battered hill,
When Spring comes round again this year
And the first meadow-flowers appear.

God knows ’twere better to be deep
Pillowed in silk and scented down,
Where love throbs out in blissful sleep,
Pulse nigh to pulse, and breath to breath,
Where hushed awakenings are dear…
But I’ve a rendezvous with Death
At midnight in some flaming town,
When Spring trips north again this year,
And I to my pledged word am true,
I shall not fail that rendezvous.

Solaratov on June 19, 2013 at 12:42 AM

PolAgnostic on June 19, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Hahahahaha !! yeah just try it ;)

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 12:39 AM

SparkPlug is a genius, he is
!

I once saw him make a sow’s ear out of a silk purse!

PolAgnostic on June 19, 2013 at 12:42 AM

And here I shall abide unto the returning of the ALTernative voice.

PolAgnostic on June 19, 2013 at 12:35 AM

BBTT !!! BBTT!!!

(Bring Back the Twerp!)

viking01 on June 19, 2013 at 12:42 AM

wolly4321 on June 19, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Nothing makes sense any more wolly, and I gave up trying…

This PC crap is gonna be the end for us all…

Just tell it like it is… I don’t care who I annoy!

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Keep your NY rightous indignation in NY. You’re no better.

wolly4321 on June 19, 2013 at 12:43 AM

williamg on June 19, 2013 at 12:42 AM
Yeah listening to your last tune G…

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 12:44 AM

They’re the oppressors of the blacksmiths.

They been keepin’ ‘em down all these years.

It’s time for reparations!

Solaratov on June 19, 2013 at 12:34 AM

… and even when the whitesmiths weren’t actively oppressing the blacksmiths you can be sure they were thinking about it!

viking01 on June 19, 2013 at 12:45 AM

williamg on June 19, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Depressed not allowed G! :)

Nice pick…

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Well……that part is “half” my problem……didn’t know you liked “Stella Blue”!

When I was obsessively-compulsively collecting bootlegs……I used to to look for different versions of that song……….it was like an iced arrow to my heart………suppose it should have been a harbinger to me that seeking that kind of a feeling was not particularly….ummmmm – helpful!

All the years combine
they melt into a dream
A broken angel sings
from a guitar
In the end there’s just a song
comes crying like the wind
through all the broken dreams
and vanished years

Stella Blue

When all the cards are down
there’s nothing left to see
There’s just the pavement left
and broken dreams
In the end there’s still that song
comes crying like the wind
down every lonely street
that’s ever been

Stella Blue

I’ve stayed in every blue-light cheap hotel
Can’t win for trying
Dust off those rusty strings just
one more time
Gonna make em shine

It all rolls into one
and nothing comes for free
There’s nothing you can hold
for very long

And when you hear that song
come crying like the wind
it seems like all this life
was just a dream

Stella Blue

williamg on June 19, 2013 at 12:47 AM

You got some names for chi-town too,, donchca NYers?

wolly4321 on June 19, 2013 at 12:49 AM

williamg on June 19, 2013 at 12:47 AM

In the end there’s just a song
comes crying like the wind
through all the broken dreams
and vanished years

Meaningful… to me too G (:

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 12:51 AM

“aren’t I?”

williamg on June 19, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Solaratov on June 19, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Excellent

“Nothing Is Really Hard but to Be Real—”

By John Ciardi 1916–1986 John Ciardi

— Now let me tell you why I said that.
Try to put yourself into an experimental mood.
Stop right here and try to review everything
you felt about that line. Did you accept it
as wisdom? as perception? as a gem, maybe,
for your private anthology of Telling Truths?

My point is that the line is fraudulent.
A blurb. It is also relevant that I know
at least a dozen devoutly intellectual
journals that will gladly buy any fourteen
such lines plus a tinny rhyme scheme and
compound the felony by calling that a sonnet.

— Very well, then, I am a cynic. Though, for
the record, let me add that I am a cynic with
one wife, three children, and other investments.
Whoever heard of a cynic carrying a pack for the fun of it?
It won’t really do I’m something else.

…………………. Were I to dramatize myself,
I’d say I am a theologian who keeps meeting
the devil as a master of make-up, and that
among his favorite impersonations he appears,
often as not, as the avuncular old ham who winks,
tugs his ear, and utters such gnomic garbage
as: “Nothing is really hard but to be real.”

I guess what the devil gets out of this — if he is
the fool he seems to be — is the illusion of
imitating heaven. If, on the other hand, he is no
fool, then his deceptions are carefully practiced
and we are all damned. For all of us, unless
we are carefully warned, will accept such noises
as examples of the sound an actual mind makes.

Why arc we damned then? — I am glad you asked that.
It is, as we say to flatter oafs, a good question.
(Meaning, usually, the one we were fishing for. Good.)
In any case. I may now pretend to think out the answer
I have memorized:
………………… We are damned for accepting as
the sound a man makes, the sound of something else,
thereby losing the truth of our own sound.

…………………………….. How do we
learn our own sound? (Another good question. Thank you.)
—by listening to what men there have been and are
—by reading more poets than jurists (without scorning
Law) — and by reading what we read not for its
oration, but for its resemblance to that sound in which
we best hear most of what a man is. Get that sound into
your heads and you will know what tones to exclude.

if there is enough exclusion in you to keep the
pie plates out of the cymbals, the tin horns out of
the brass section, the baling wire out of the strings,
and thereby to let the notes roll full to the ear
that has listened enough to be a listener.

As for the devil — when he has finished every impersonation,
the best he will have been able to accomplish is only that sound which is exactly not the music.

PolAgnostic on June 19, 2013 at 12:53 AM

williamg on June 19, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Am listening now (:

Sad songs always get to me, prolly why I tend to like the ‘angry’ hard hittin’ heavy metal/rock stuff…

Tho for sheer sadness, Janis…

I can feel her pain and anguish…

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 12:54 AM

SparkPlug on June 19, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Ahhh, but could you make one out of that British stuff …

… AL-loo-min-eee-uummm?

PolAgnostic on June 19, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Well I’ll have to shed-ule it. hehe

SparkPlug on June 19, 2013 at 12:55 AM

williamg on June 19, 2013 at 12:47 AM

In the end there’s just a song
comes crying like the wind
through all the broken dreams
and vanished years

Meaningful… to me too G (:

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 12:51 AM

I don’t know who “infected” who with their “mind field” – probably both infecting each other – but when Robert Hunter and Jerry got together in a room to write lyrics and shut the door on the world, I swear some of the most magical words in the history on language resulted from it……

williamg on June 19, 2013 at 12:55 AM

This is shocking.

Schadenfreude on June 19, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Never heard a NYer call a cab driver a raghead.

Never happened…..

wolly4321 on June 19, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Michael Hastings, the award-winning journalist whose explosive 2010 Rolling Stone profile of U.S. Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal (“The Runaway General”) led to McChrystal’s resignation, died Tuesday in an early morning car accident in Los Angeles, the magazine said. He was 33.

Schadenfreude on June 19, 2013 at 12:56 AM

viking01 on June 19, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Well, everyone knows whitesmiths are wascists!

PolAgnostic on June 19, 2013 at 12:56 AM

williamg on June 19, 2013 at 12:55 AM

You have given me a brand new appreciation of GD!

You are so right…

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Well I’ll have to shed-ule it. hehe

SparkPlug on June 19, 2013 at 12:55 AM

It will be a handsome hat. Well worth the LABOUR

PolAgnostic on June 19, 2013 at 12:58 AM

11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;

15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

19 And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,

20 For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.

Solaratov on June 19, 2013 at 12:58 AM

williamg on June 18, 2013 at 11:59 PM

McCain and Rubio like each other a lot too and also share a medical condition. Probably not the same one though. There’s is called cranialrectumitus.

VorDaj on June 19, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Solaratov on June 19, 2013 at 12:17 AM

PolAgnostic on June 19, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Compare and contrast:

[Read Genesis 2-3]
[6] And Seth lived an hundred and five years, and begat Enos:
[8] And all the days of Seth were nine hundred and twelve years: and he died.
[9] And Enos lived ninety years, and begat Cainan:
[11] And all the days of Enos were nine hundred and five years: and he died.
[12] And Cainan lived seventy years, and begat Mahalaleel:
[14] And all the days of Cainan were nine hundred and ten years: and he died.
[15] And Mahalaleel lived sixty and five years, and begat Jared:
[18] And Jared lived an hundred sixty and two years, and he begat Enoch:
[21] And Enoch lived sixty and five years, and begat Methuselah:
[23] And all the days of Enoch were three hundred sixty and five years:
[24] And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.
[25] And Methuselah lived an hundred eighty and seven years, and begat Lamech:
[28] And Lamech lived an hundred eighty and two years, and begat a son:

The middle transformed the beginning

Now on the last day, the great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink. He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said, ‘From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water.’”

to give this ending:

Then he showed me a river of the water of life, clear as crystal, coming from the throne of God and of the Lamb, in the middle of its street. On either side of the river was the tree of life, bearing twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit every month; and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations. There will no longer be any curse; and the throne of God and of the Lamb will be in it, and His bond-servants will serve Him; they will see His face, and His name will be on their foreheads. And there will no longer be any night; and they will not have need of the light of a lamp nor the light of the sun, because the Lord God will illumine them; and they will reign forever and ever.

And he said to me, “These words are faithful and true”; and the Lord, the God of the spirits of the prophets, sent His angel to show to His bond-servants the things which must soon take place.

“And behold, I am coming quickly. Blessed is he who heeds the words of the prophecy of this book.”

I, John, am the one who heard and saw these things. And when I heard and saw, I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel who showed me these things. But he *said to me, “Do not do that. I am a fellow servant of yours and of your brethren the prophets and of those who heed the words of this book. Worship God.”

And he *said to me, “Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this book, for the time is near. Let the one who does wrong, still do wrong; and the one who is filthy, still be filthy; and let the one who is righteous, still practice righteousness; and the one who is holy, still keep himself holy.”

“Behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to render to every man according to what he has done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.”

Blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter by the gates into the city. Outside are the dogs and the sorcerers and the immoral persons and the murderers and the idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices lying.

“I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things for the churches. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star.”

The Spirit and the bride say, “Come.” And let the one who hears say, “Come.” And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who wishes take the water of life without cost.

I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues which are written in this book; and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book.

He who testifies to these things says, “Yes, I am coming quickly.” Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.

The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all. Amen.

INC on June 19, 2013 at 1:00 AM

This is shocking.
Schadenfreude on June 19, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Not really…

I have given up pretty much on the ‘news’…

As untrustworthy as the govt is…

All playing liv’s for fools and lying to their faces and they are going, yeah!! I gots me ma obamaphone, whilst the nation is crashing and burning…

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 1:00 AM

This is shocking.

Schadenfreude on June 19, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Let me know when we can rewire the studios and newsrooms so every time one of them lies …

… the get a “correctional current” (I think 240V would do) from the chair they are sitting in.

;->

PolAgnostic on June 19, 2013 at 1:01 AM

SparkPlug is a genius, he is!

I once saw him make a sow’s ear out of a silk purse!

PolAgnostic on June 19, 2013 at 12:42 AM

You can lead a yak to water but you can’t make a silk purse out of a pig in a poke. —Opus

Solaratov on June 19, 2013 at 1:01 AM

There’s is called cranialrectumitus.
VorDaj on June 19, 2013 at 12:59 AM

THIS ^^^^ is why I love QOTD!! Got some of the smartest peeps here…

Man, I gotta find my sense of humour…

‘maybe it’s over there, cuz it ain’t here’

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 1:02 AM

I know you like words, Scrumpy – so you’ll probably like this:

They have these “Annotated” lyrics sites up for all of Robert Hunter’s lyrics…….this one is cool, and you’d probably enjoy all of the literature and references in it:

williamg on June 19, 2013 at 1:04 AM

PolAgnostic on June 19, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Hey Bloke, can you lend me a Quid?

SparkPlug on June 19, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Solaratov on June 19, 2013 at 12:58 AM

INC on June 19, 2013 at 1:00 AM

One of my favorites …

Jesus

Sermon on the Mount (KJV)

Matthew 5

1: And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his disciples came unto him:

2: And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying,

3: Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

4: Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.

5: Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

6: Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

7: Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.

8: Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

9: Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

10: Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11: Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

12: Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

13: Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.

14: Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

15: Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.

16: Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

17: Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill.

18: For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

19: Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

20: For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

21: Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment.

22: But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

23: Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;

24: Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.

25: Agree with thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison.

26: Verily I say unto thee, Thou shalt by no means come out thence, till thou hast paid the uttermost farthing.

27: Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery.

28: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

29: And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

30: And if thy right hand offend thee, cut if off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

31: It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement.

32: But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

33: Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths:

34: But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God’s throne:

35: Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.

36: Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.

37: But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

38: Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:

39: But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

40: And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also.

41: And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.

42: Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.

43: Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.

44: But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

45: That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

46: For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? Do not even the publicans the same?

47: And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?

48: Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

PolAgnostic on June 19, 2013 at 1:07 AM

williamg on June 19, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Thank you! I most certainly will!! :D

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 1:07 AM

There’s is called cranialrectumitus.

VorDaj on June 19, 2013 at 12:59 AM

….and here I’ve been mis-diagnosing it……..

I thought they suffered from:

“Cardiocranial Thrombossis”

It’s the condition of having your head SO FAR up your A*********

That your HEART is BEATING THE S******* OUT of your BRAINS!!

williamg on June 19, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 1:00 AM

PolAgnostic on June 19, 2013 at 1:01 AM

You didn’t think that I was shocked, I hope. I laugh at the stupid world who believed them.

Schadenfreude on June 19, 2013 at 1:08 AM

SparkPlug on June 19, 2013 at 1:05 AM

I’ll give you a bob and a half crown and thruppenny piece along with a sixpence for yer quid ;)

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Solaratov on June 19, 2013 at 1:01 AM

“You can Lead A Man to Logic, but you can’t Make Him Think!…..”

williamg on June 19, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Hey Bloke, can you lend me a Quid?

SparkPlug on June 19, 2013 at 1:05 AM

I can, mate … but it will all be in tuppences!

And I’ll expect you to put at least one in ALT’s cup so she doesn’t think we’ve forgotten about ‘er.

PolAgnostic on June 19, 2013 at 1:10 AM

I throw her ha’penny… ;)

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Translate!

INC on June 19, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Hey that’s cheating. You are a British babe with a British brain and British booty. (:

SparkPlug on June 19, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Solaratov on June 19, 2013 at 1:01 AM

“You can Lead A Man to Logic, but you can’t Make Him Think!…..”

williamg on June 19, 2013 at 1:09 AM

“With school turning out more runners, jumpers, racers, tinkerers, grabbers, snatchers, fliers, and swimmers instead of examiners, critics, knowers, and imaginative creators, the word ‘intellectual,’ of course, became the swear word it deserved to be.”

Sing “Daisy”, HAL

PolAgnostic on June 19, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Ball and Chain… the one and only Janis Joplin :)

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 1:15 AM

I hadn’t realized it, but McCain and Rubio MIGHT actually suffer from:

“CONJOINED Cardio-Cranial Thrombosis”

…..that is a much, MUUUUCH more complicated condition, and I just don’t have the time to explain it here………..

williamg on June 19, 2013 at 1:15 AM

williamg on June 19, 2013 at 1:08 AM

We should probably send John and Marco a nice get well soon card, even though their condition is progressive and terminal. Maybe some nice flowers too, like Nightshade or Yellow Jessamine.

VorDaj on June 19, 2013 at 1:16 AM

PolAgnostic on June 19, 2013 at 1:07 AM

And He finished by telling a story of two houses, and the rip and roar of storms.

“Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them, may be compared to a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and yet it did not fall, for it had been founded on the rock.

“Everyone who hears these words of Mine and does not act on them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. The rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and it fell—and great was its fall.”

When Jesus had finished these words, the crowds were amazed at His teaching; for He was teaching them as one having authority, and not as their scribes.
Matthew 7:24-29

INC on June 19, 2013 at 1:16 AM

INC on June 19, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Nickel and dimeing for a Pound ;)

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 1:16 AM

24 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field:

25 But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way.

26 But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also.

27 So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares?

28 He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up?

29 But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them.

30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

31 Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is like to a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and sowed in his field:

32 Which indeed is the least of all seeds: but when it is grown, it is the greatest among herbs, and becometh a tree, so that the birds of the air come and lodge in the branches thereof.

33 Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.

34 All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he not unto them:

35 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world.

Solaratov on June 19, 2013 at 1:16 AM

SparkPlug on June 19, 2013 at 1:14 AM

I want to steal brain from RWM!! ;)

I’ll keep the rest :D

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 1:17 AM

I throw her ha’penny… ;)

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Bollocks!

You know what a ha’penny is worth these days?!?

She’ll be puttin’ on airs, she will!

PolAgnostic on June 19, 2013 at 1:19 AM

williamg on June 19, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Go on, you know you want to… ;)

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Etta James: The sky is crying…

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 1:16 AM

That reminds me—Royal Ascot is this week. I always like to look at the hats: the good, the bad, and the crazy.

INC on June 19, 2013 at 1:22 AM