Quotes of the day

posted at 10:11 pm on June 18, 2013 by Allahpundit

It is painful to watch Marco Rubio’s maneuverings on immigration. He is refusing to say whether he will vote “yes” on his own Gang of Eight bill after spending months drafting, defending, and helping shepherd it to the floor. He has supposedly discovered that the enforcement provisions are inadequate, although he has done countless interviews touting that the bill contains the “toughest immigration-enforcement measures in the history of United States” (which is what his website still says). At the same time, Rubio declares the bill 95–96 percent perfect…

Beyond its treatment of illegal immigrants, the very large expansion in legal immigration that the bill would establish is problematic as well. While there are some persuasive economic arguments in favor of expanding legal immigration, the United States is a nation with an economy, not an economy with a nation. Our failure to fully assimilate new immigrants over the past several decades is not a reflection of our inability but our unwillingness to do so. That some are arguing for this bill as a necessary political sop to Hispanic voters is indicative of the toxic ethnic politics that we should be working to eliminate — and that radically higher levels of immigration would almost certainly entrench.

***

“How do we put together a bill and then the guy who put it together says that he may not vote for it?” Graham asked me. “I just don’t get what we’re doing here.”

His specific complaint: that GOP Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida, a fellow member of the Senate “gang of eight” who had spent months drafting a bipartisan immigration reform bill, seemed to be backing away from the legislation.

Rubio said that its border enforcement provisions need to be strengthened — and that he might oppose the bill if he didn’t get strong enough revised language. This infuriated and exasperated Graham, who had joined the gang in the first place to try to do a good legislative deed and also to protect himself politically.

***

Senator Marco Rubio declined to say who in his office told The New Yorker’s Ryan Lizza that “there are some American workers who, for lack of a better term, can’t cut it” and downplayed the importance of the now-controversial quote.

“I’m the senator. It’s my bill. I’m the one that votes on these things. I’m the one that makes decisions. Whatever other people want to opine or say to a reporter or somebody else, I can’t control that,” Rubio said…

“I’ve never viewed a guest-worker program as a way to replace Americans,” he added. ”I viewed it as a way for industries to be able to find labor in those industries where there is a shortage of domestic labor.”

***

“I support Senator Thune’s efforts to require completion of double layered border fencing,” Rubio said in a statement after voting against the amendment. “Properly deployed, these fences have proven highly effective in limiting illegal crossings. That is why the current bill requires $1.5 billion be spent specifically on a border fence plan.”

“However, his amendment does not detail a specific border plan,” Rubio claimed. “Therefore, I opposed his amendment and instead continue to work with my Republican colleagues to arrive at a new measure that improves on the significant border security measures already in the bill.”

***

In a free market, if a new immigrant worker can do a job better than an American worker for a cheaper price, there shouldn’t be a problem with a business hiring the immigrant. But when the immigration bill interacts with Obamacare’s employer mandate, it functions as a reverse tariff against hiring American citizens. It would be like subjecting Americans to a $3,000 tax on purchasing American cars, while allowing them to avoid that tax by purchasing cars from Germany, Japan, or any other country other than America. That’s not free trade. That’s government rigging the game against American citizens.

Sadly, Rubio, who is losing more and more credibility by the day among conservatives, has shown absolutely no leadership on trying to resolve this problem. When I first reported on the issue in April, Rubio spokesman Alex Conant responded that this was the sort of technical problem that could be fixed through amendments as the bill moved through the legislative process. But the issue was never addressed in the more than 200 amendments offered before the Senate Judiciary committee. None of the listed amendments filed since the bill made it to the Senate floor last week tackle the problem either. Despite this, Rubio declared on Sunday, “I think 95, 96 percent of the bill is in perfect shape and ready to go.” I don’t even think Obama would make such an audacious statement about Obamacare to this day.

***

Rohrabacher blasted his GOP colleague Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), a member of the Gang of Eight, for his part in pushing immigration reform.

“Rubio is so confused and so mixed up I think that he has given up his rightful place to advise any of us in Washington what to do, and certainly given up any right to be trusted by the American people,” he said. “It was over and over, contradiction after contradiction, lie after lie.”

***

Andrea Tantaros asked Sessions on her radio show to respond to reports that Rubio has not been seen with the Gang of Eight in public in over two months. “That’s odd,” Sessions said. “He is the one that’s in everybody’s homes running the ads. Makes you want to say ‘Marco, there’s somebody on the television pretending to be you, saying vote for the bill that you recently said shouldn’t pass in its current form.’”

***

Mark Krikorian, executive director of the Center for Immigration Studies, which strongly opposes the Gang’s bill, says Cruz seems reluctant to play a leading role in the immigration debate. “My sense is Cruz is kind of ambivalent,” Krikorian tells National Review Online. “Not ambivalent necessarily on amnesty — he’s pretty convinced that’s a bad idea — but he doesn’t seem to want to be the face of immigration hawkishness.”…

Still, some think Cruz may be wary of leading the opposition to an effort led by Senator Marco Rubio. “He really has wanted to avoid just turning the debate into a Cruz versus Rubio Hispanic rumble in the GOP,” Krikorian says. Indeed, Cruz has directed most of his criticism at Senate Democrats and President Obama, whom he called “the biggest obstacle to passing commonsense immigration reform.” If Cruz is trying to steer clear of the contrast with Rubio, it’s been successful. The press corps would typically salivate over such a conflict, but it has not received much attention, although USA Today did publish (in May) an article titled “Rubio vs. Cruz: Hispanic Conservatives Battle for GOP’s Soul.”

***

“Right now people think Marco isn’t ready,” said one Republican donor, who spoke candidly on condition of anonymity. “That could change if he gets immigration done. But so far people aren’t impressed.”

Republican Party of Florida Chairman Lenny Curry countered that whatever the complexities of Rubio’s decision to go all-in on immigration, it ought to remove any suspicion among his critics that the senator’s too green for national leadership.

“As a new senator, I would think that if there were anywhere people would try to attack him, they might say: ‘What have you done?’” Curry said. “The guy has stuck his neck out, literally stuck his neck out on a big issue. It’s demonstrating leadership and I think it’s what people are looking for.”

Curry added: “I think it helps him and I think it helps the Republican brand.”

***

Rubio’s push on immigration reform is going to get him some insider credit. Faith and Freedom Coalition President Ralph Reed looks favorably upon Rubio’s push. Most donors like Rubio’s new role. He’s also bound to win plaudits from the GOP establishment in the Senate, which is pushing for immigration reform. Overall, this is definitely the correct move for a person who might otherwise be seen as too “outsidery”.

Immigration reform has the additional advantage of being seen as a moderating force. It’s backed by most Americans and is generally supported by the party establishment because it’s seen (rightly or wrongly) as an electoral winner…

So, I think Rubio is making a smart political play by supporting immigration reform so openly. It’s the type of issue that will garner him plaudits from the party establishment – which generally gets to pick Republican nominees. It’ll help to reassure Republicans that he can win, which will likely be a chief concern for primary voters in 2016, as it was in 2012.

At the same time, Rubio can point to other issues where he is an outsider conservative, such as the debt ceiling. Rubio is proving, perhaps, that he knows how to balance the wings of his party correctly.

***

“I frankly think the Senate bill is weak on border security, I think the internal enforcement mechanisms are weak and the triggers are almost laughable.”

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Via the Daily Rushbo.

Via the Right Scoop.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Rubio/Bush 2016! It’s coming, people!

Punchenko on June 18, 2013 at 11:09 PM

….ha ha!

KOOLAID2 on June 18, 2013 at 11:09 PM

“I’m the senator. It’s my bill. I’m the one that votes on these things. I’m the one that makes decisions.”

WOW, Rubio reminds me of “I won” Quite an ego there and seems to be getting bigger by the week.

bluefox on June 18, 2013 at 11:04 PM

What a jerk.

At least it’s an ill wind that blows no good. I’m glad that so-called charm and rhetoric have been revealed as deceitful. If he’s this openly conceited and arrogant now, I think he will implode later. I can’t see him holding up under the crossfire of debate.

INC on June 18, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Blah, f*ck off. RIGHT F*CKING NOW, man – the heat is RIGHT F*CKING NOW.

Midas on June 18, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Have mixed feelings about GB. Sometimes I catch his “lost hour” on very late night radio, but rarely can I listen to all of it. Too histrionic for me, but I guess that’s his schtick. But you’re right … with all the talk shows, lately it just seems like so much wheel-spinning, playing the audio clips or quoting from news stories, but I always wonder if any of these guys (and gal in Laura Ingraham’s case) are ever going to suggest any solutions to put to use NOW, as you said. Yeah, they’re in it to make a buck, sure, but at some level they need to sh!t or get off the pot, or they’re just as bad as the politicians. As I recall, many years ago when Horndog Clinton was in office, I got totally fed up with the talk shows (which at the time was Rush, pretty much) and just stopped listening.

PatriotGal2257 on June 18, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Ooop’s I posted a quote from ALyT, she is reading, and banned.

The quote is in moderation. Maybe me too…

cozmo on June 18, 2013 at 11:12 PM

So saying the opposite of dry front gets you banned???

GhoulAid on June 18, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Rubio/Bush 2016! It’s coming, people!

Punchenko on June 18, 2013 at 11:09 PM

I doubt Jeb will be content with being number 2. I don’t think Jeb is ever going to get to the nomination. He’s joined at the hip to Erne Duncan and Common Core. CC is not just an educational nightmare and and indoctrination tool, but a fiscal disaster that will happen before the primaries.

INC on June 18, 2013 at 11:13 PM

My mother told you my nub was too small?

HotAirLib on June 18, 2013 at 10:33 PM

She did. Said you were the daughter she always wanted.

arnold ziffel on June 18, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Rubio/Bush 2016! It’s coming, people!

Punchenko on June 18, 2013 at 11:09 PM

3rd Part benefits the most from this….

ManWithNoParty on June 18, 2013 at 11:14 PM

….love you Twerp!

KOOLAID2 on June 18, 2013 at 11:15 PM

HELLO????? I AM OFFERING MY POSTING PRIVELGES TO ALT. BRING HER BACK, I’LL TAKE THE BAN. YOU DEAF AP?

GhoulAid on June 18, 2013 at 11:15 PM

3rd Part benefits the most from this….

ManWithNoParty on June 18, 2013 at 11:14 PM

…maybe…we’ll all change our name!

KOOLAID2 on June 18, 2013 at 11:16 PM

So, which thread was it that ALT was banned in?

Solaratov on June 18, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Her son has a log in. Maybe she’ll post under that.

cptacek on June 18, 2013 at 11:18 PM

According to ALyT, it was deleted.

I figured, I could repeat the offending word when my wet back dries.

Heck, if everybody wrote it, we could all get banned together.

Or maybe some sanity would break out among the head honchos.

Wet back…

Who’s with me?

Otherwise…adios…

cozmo on June 18, 2013 at 11:08 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of what Heinlein referred to as a “white mutiny”.

We would not use bannable words or terms.

However, since being a troll or a moby is NOT actionable – perhaps out of some fear of being painted as homophobic/racist/intolerant on the leftist web site – why shouldn’t ALL of the regular commenters behave as badly as the trolls?

I think ALT may have gone over a line and should “make amends”.

Ed, AP, Erika & MHK all financially benefit from OUR orderly participation on this site.

Anyone up for playing “trolls” till ALT is restored ???

PolAgnostic on June 18, 2013 at 11:18 PM

GhoulAid on June 18, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Libs create traffic and posts. True Conservatives and their posts are truth. Traffic wins over truth. Blogs gotta sell ads. End of story.

ManWithNoParty on June 18, 2013 at 11:19 PM

…maybe…we’ll all change our name!

KOOLAID2 on June 18, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Gosh, let’s name it the “Constitution Party”. It’s been done before, but hows about we mean it this time?

ManWithNoParty on June 18, 2013 at 11:21 PM

I heard the new GOP chairman on the airwaves here in Columbia, SC this afternoon. He’s a 31 year old fresh face. However, a caller asked about primary-ing Graham. He refused to repudiate Graham, but did say the South Carolina GOP “welcomes primary challengers”. Hmmmmmmmm

SouthernGent on June 18, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Take a look at Richard Cash’s campaign website. If you like what you see, find a way to help him defeat Lindsay Graham.

wren on June 18, 2013 at 5:08 PM

bluefox on June 18, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Michelle Obama looks like a gorilla in a dress. Ban me!

GhoulAid on June 18, 2013 at 11:22 PM

As far I understood Ryan, if his “metrics” is not satisfied in five years, he will declare legalized former “undocumented” immigrants illegal again, he will remove their documents with probationary status and will make then undocumented again. I do not believe he is stupid, but obviously both Rubio and Ryan consider us stupid.

Ryan also explained, that there would not be any illegal “economic” immigrants because EVERYBODY who wants to to work in America will come legally. Pretty much the same that Chuck Schumer declared.

I especially like that claim about 10 years w/o welfare and Obamacare. First if I do not need to pay for Obamacare for former illegals, I will hire them, not native Americans. Then in 10 years when baby boomers will retire in big numbers, these former illegals will start getting welfare and Obamacare. Great timing, Congressman!
Are you a chair of Budget Committee or something?

Unbelievable.

finallyhere on June 18, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Anyone up for playing “trolls” till ALT is restored ???

PolAgnostic on June 18, 2013 at 11:18 PM

I don’t know how to do that.

Does Amazon sell “Deadbeat, homosexual, communism for Dummies,” or something?
There’s gotta be a guidebook; or at least a reference on how to be obnoxious.

Solaratov on June 18, 2013 at 11:27 PM

ManWithNoParty on June 18, 2013 at 11:19 PM

IMHO there are non-tangibles as well that are not so easy to measure. The strongest is a sense of community that groups acquire, and that sense of community is only so flexible until it fractures. There’s also something called tipping point—sometimes a bad one is called jumping the shark.

INC on June 18, 2013 at 11:27 PM

cozmo on June 18, 2013 at 11:08 PM

PolAgnostic on June 18, 2013 at 11:18 PM

…of course…I’m game…I squirt the edge enough…but I’ll go over!

KOOLAID2 on June 18, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Are you a chair of Budget Committee or something?

Unbelievable.

finallyhere on June 18, 2013 at 11:23 PM

ManWithNoParty on June 18, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Are you a chair of Budget Committee or something?

Unbelievable.

finallyhere on June 18, 2013 at 11:23 PM

I had hude hopes for this guy. He is now dead to me.

ManWithNoParty on June 18, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Guys, come on. We all know that it is wrong and unacceptable to use racist, derogatory slurs. i think we all know what crosses the line.

I am not sure exactly what happened with ALT, but I hope she’s given another chance. She was an enthusiastic commenter on here, and hopefully she will be back.

At the same time we should not fault AP or Ed or anyone else for trying to keep this site clean.

bluegill on June 18, 2013 at 11:30 PM

HEY Ed! AP! Erika! MKH!

From down here in the trenches – a message!

You’ve BANNED annoyinglittletwerp for using an offensive phrase?

Is that a fair statement?

But day in and day out you tolerate filth like this:

Your mother told you my nub was too small?

HotAirLib on June 18, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Is that because the commenter claims to be a black, homosexual professor in real life???

Or is that a DIFFERENT troll?

Maybe I am confused because as long as a commenter is taking a liberal/progressive/leftist position, there is NEVER any banning by any of you.

Liberal/progressive/leftist commenters can call people names?

Liberal/progressive/leftist commenters can call slander any conservative commenter without fear of getting banned?

Liberal/progressive/leftist commenters can post flat out LIES? Endlessly? Forever?

Are those the REAL rules of Hot Air?

PolAgnostic on June 18, 2013 at 11:31 PM

I have tried to find a reason why Rubio would throw away a shot at being president by stubbornly clinging to Amnesty along with fellow Republican eccentrics Lindsey Graham (who loves being spied upon)and John McCain (who loves going to war for the wrong side) but nothing makes any sense unless he plans to flip and become a Democrat.

Because this isn’t really about immigration. This is about having to admit the entire social security system is about to go broke if they don’t get this passed and ALL of them being thrown out of office.

This is the only way they can inject enough taxpayers into the social security system fast enough to stem the tide of baby boomers retiring.

If they DON’T pass this, in 10-13 years from now, the social security trust fund evaporates. Social security checks for millions of Americans stop coming. They don’t want to talk about that right now. This is a way of kicking the can down the road.

I would not be the least bit surprised if a deal has been struck between Republicans and Democrats in Congress that if the Republicans support immigration reform, the Democrats will support Social Security reform but they do NOT, under any circumstances, want to draw people’s attention to the fact that Social Security is about to go broke.

crosspatch on June 18, 2013 at 11:32 PM

MeanWhile,Breaking:

The Associated Press @AP 5m

BREAKING: House panel approves tough immigration bill boosting penalties against people in US illegally, apne.ws/16fkl6k – VW
View summary
============

canopfor on June 18, 2013 at 11:33 PM

for trying to keep this site clean.

blueball on June 18, 2013 at 11:30 PM

…heh?

KOOLAID2 on June 18, 2013 at 11:33 PM

So we can say Operation Enduring Freedom, but we can’t name the highly successful Operation run by Eisenhower to reverse the influx of those not legal to be here?

cptacek on June 18, 2013 at 11:34 PM

MeanWhile,Breaking:

The Associated Press @AP 5m

View summary
============

canopfor on June 18, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Some level of sanity has returned.

nobar on June 18, 2013 at 11:35 PM

crosspatch on June 18, 2013 at 11:32 PM

You always post very smart comments and know about so many topics. It’s really impressive. I think you should be a guest blogger here.

bluegill on June 18, 2013 at 11:35 PM

INC on June 18, 2013 at 11:27

Agreed, but the HA Mgmt seems to tolerate much more than most blogs would. Hence my comments about traffic being king. Understood, as this is a free to the user blog,and they gotta make the donuts. The fact that they ban those that post rather rabid “Conservative” views while letting the Leftists run wild is my point of contention.

ManWithNoParty on June 18, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Look at it another way, we desperately need more taxpayers over the next 10-15 years. Injecting a bunch of immigrants into the system is the fastest way to increase the number of taxpayers into social security. Your only other option is to attempt to increase the birth rate but that doesn’t kick in for nearly 20 years. By then it is too late. Besides, which is easier, getting Republicans to support immigration reform or getting Democrats to support bigger families, less birth control and fewer abortions?

crosspatch on June 18, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Moderators do strange stuff, most times with no explanation. I’ve watched Ace get into one of his tantrums and run off some very good posters who had been with him a long time, when they didn’t understand what he thought they did and he was too amped up to tell them. I’ve been here a long time, much longer than Ed, but stay completely unattached, emotionally, to the site or the mods. Makes it real easy to leave.

a capella on June 18, 2013 at 11:37 PM

cptacek on June 18, 2013 at 11:34 PM

What else would you expect here? We weren’t allowed to write revol— for quite some time. People got banned for putting little symbols in to get the word (which is part of the name of one of the greatest movements in all of human history, the American Revol—-) through the Hotair/NSA censors. This is life on the squishy edge. It’s only going to get worse so strap yourself in.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 18, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Am I banned too? Test.

wolly4321 on June 18, 2013 at 11:38 PM

a capella on June 18, 2013 at 11:37 PM

When ace decides he doesn’t like someone he makes up lots of sh!t and puts words in their mouths/posts that they never wrote and then he rips them for the lies he made up about them. ace is pretty much of a pr!ck and he often debates like a lefty.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 18, 2013 at 11:39 PM

crosspatch on June 18, 2013 at 11:32 PM

That’s an interesting take, but it might only be a part of the Amnesty push, not the sole reason for it. That being said, Democrats will -never- support any real SS reform. SS is at the core of their entire worldview itself. To admit conservative and Libertarian critics were correct would be too emotionally devastating.

visions on June 18, 2013 at 11:40 PM

ManWithNoParty on June 18, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I do agree. I think they’re not taking into account those intangibles.

bluegill on June 18, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Are you kidding me? Keep it clean? Draw a line? How do you define clean and what kind of line do you draw? Do you apply it evenhandedly? I’ve read hundreds of things here that were worse than what Twerp seems to have said, but the commenter survived.

INC on June 18, 2013 at 11:41 PM

PolAgnostic on June 18, 2013 at 11:31 PM

ALT is banned?

Every day this site becomes more of a corporate product shilling a plain-vanilla “conservatism” in an extra-squishy cone.

Adjoran on June 18, 2013 at 11:41 PM

bluegill on June 18, 2013 at 11:30 PM

What’s up me Julie? Do you like football? My cousin is pretty good friends with Brett Favre. Do you want him to send you a few pics?

arnold ziffel on June 18, 2013 at 11:41 PM

BTW, I meant that ace claims that people wrote things they never wrote (though ace always “knows” what they are REALLY trying to say …) and then argues with the lies he claims they said, not that he changes their actual posts (which he does with trolls).

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 18, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Won’t let me post wiki operation wb.

Tried Trwerp.

wolly4321 on June 18, 2013 at 11:41 PM

crosspatch on June 18, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Then we should be selective about which immigrants we allow in. Those 11 million Rubio keeps referring to are not going to contribute much in taxes. We should be getting people with skills and a real desire to achieve, not people looking for a handout.

lonestar1 on June 18, 2013 at 11:43 PM

I don’t know how to do that.

Does Amazon sell “Deadbeat, homosexual, communism for Dummies,” or something?
There’s gotta be a guidebook; or at least a reference on how to be obnoxious.

Solaratov on June 18, 2013 at 11:27 PM

As is your nature, you are trying to “give it your all”.

That is not necessary for this purpose.

The Hot Air staff gets page hits from people reading our comments.

All of the regular, non-troll commenters, INCLUDING ALT, always try to do their best.

This makes the comments worth reading and generates page hits for the staff and revenue for their owner, Townhall.

I am NOT saying offensive language should be tolerated without consequences.

Suspend ALT’s account for a week. Let her cool down. BE REASONABLE>

Especially since the Hot Air staff are complete squishes when it comes to banning Liberal/progressive/leftist commenters who post ALL KINDS of offensive material.

Personally, I think Hot Air’s comments section would benefit by LOTS of quotations from the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, the Bible …

… the list is ENDLESS.
And the people who are used to reading intelligent discussions on a variety of topics?

They will get bored REAL QUICK and page hits will DROP.

PolAgnostic on June 18, 2013 at 11:44 PM

….love you Twerp!

KOOLAID2 on June 18, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Seconded.

viking01 on June 18, 2013 at 11:44 PM

So, which thread was it that ALT was banned in?

Solaratov on June 18, 2013 at 11:16 PM

…don’t know…someone said an immigration thread ‘last night’…but I last saw her on the QOTD…at 12:47 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on June 18, 2013 at 12:47 AM

KOOLAID2 on June 18, 2013 at 11:44 PM

crosspatch on June 18, 2013 at 11:32 PM

What a weak argument from the reality of this situation. You totally ignore the Earned Income Tax Credit. These are takers, given this provision, not contributors to the system.

ManWithNoParty on June 18, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Rubio/Bush 2016! It’s coming, people!

Punchenko on June 18, 2013 at 11:09 PM

I’ve always said Jebbie/Rubio, just for the record:-)

bluefox on June 18, 2013 at 11:46 PM

The Senate bill is an economic disaster.

onlineanalyst on June 18, 2013 at 11:46 PM

INC on June 18, 2013 at 11:41 PM

It seems the moderators, to their credit, give a lot of leeway. I think we can argue about whether or not a certain person should be banned, but we should at least be able to agree that racist slurs are unacceptable. Of course those comments should be deleted.

A lot of you here call people trolls simply because they disagree with you.

I actually think that AP, Ed and the rest are doing very good job of discerning between the merely obnoxious posts and the violent and racist ones that cross the line.

bluegill on June 18, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Am I banned too? Test.

wolly4321 on June 18, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Sure…..

ManWithNoParty on June 18, 2013 at 11:48 PM

INC on June 18, 2013 at 11:10 PM

I agree. Someone has certainly blown his head up.

Hey, been missing you in the Gulch:-)

bluefox on June 18, 2013 at 11:48 PM

keep this site clean.

blueball on June 18, 2013 at 11:30 PM

…then… go phuck off!
(:->)

KOOLAID2 on June 18, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Best way to get ALT back is to wait till tomorrow and wait for Ed to respond. The mod squad has gone to sleep.

nobar on June 18, 2013 at 11:48 PM

INC on June 18, 2013 at 11:10 PM

I agree. Someone has certainly blown his head up.

Hey, been missing you in the Gulch:-)

bluefox on June 18, 2013 at 11:48 PM

…yep!…bluefox and Fallon can’t be the only ones supplying links…for gawds sakes…and what’s going on with the move?

KOOLAID2 on June 18, 2013 at 11:50 PM

nobar on June 18, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Isn’t Ed in Israel?

terryannonline on June 18, 2013 at 11:51 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 18, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean. I’ve never been big on banning posters, no matter how obnoxious they are, and twerp certainly wasn’t in that category.

a capella on June 18, 2013 at 11:51 PM

bluegill on June 18, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Of course you do, you’re one of those that generate the traffic that they so love to sell ads for the blog. Stats are king.

Can you really not admit that this is not about the ideology and is instead about cash? Nothing wrong with that, but it would be refreshing to hear someone say it.

ManWithNoParty on June 18, 2013 at 11:51 PM

bluegill on June 18, 2013 at 11:46 PM

are you ever going to stop the incessant herding and debate controlling attempts you feckless fk?

my God you are a psychopath. gfy sesqui. for reals not for play plays

tom daschle concerned on June 18, 2013 at 11:52 PM

bluefox on June 18, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Thank you! I have to drop by and catch up. I’ve been tired and stressed—last week was like going through mud. We couldn’t do several things at once to get ready for a move. We had to see how one thing would play out before we could go to the next thing! Things are coming along slowly, but they are gradually working out—for which we’re very grateful.

INC on June 18, 2013 at 11:53 PM

crosspatch on June 18, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Under normal circumstances
, I would provide link to an article last week about a Republican who FINALLY put together a 30 YEAR budget shortfall projection of:

$ 120,000,000,000,000 ………. ( $ 120 trillion we don’t have)

to make the point that no matter HOW many people we might allow to immigrate, the government is going to NEVER, EVER have enough taxes.

But since the Hot Air staff has decided to BAN our friend ALT while being ENDLESSLY tolerant of FILTH, SLANDER and LIES from Liberal/progressive/leftist commenters …

… I won’t be providing a link

(seriously, Hot Air staff, you don’t KNOW the raders are here for the links, learning and EFFORT the commenters provide in their content?)

PolAgnostic on June 18, 2013 at 11:54 PM

A lot of you here call people trolls simply because they disagree with you.

blueball on June 18, 2013 at 11:46 PM

…they seem to be unable to discern between ‘merely’ obnoxious and OVERLY obnoxious!

KOOLAID2 on June 18, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Are you a chair of Budget Committee or something?

Unbelievable.

finallyhere on June 18, 2013 at 11:23 PM

I heard all of that. He sounded just like Rubio and no one could follow it. He was on the fence, fell off on the left side, back on the fence and then fell off on the right side. What a bunch of rambling. Nothing he said would ever be enforced or even passed. That was his version of the bill the House is going to introduce.

It will be an exercise in futility imo.

I hope it fails. Got my House list ready for calling tomorrow.

bluefox on June 18, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Maybe. Certainly isn’t for the Democrats. But it would explain the sudden about-face by many Republicans who have long resisted this sort of immigration reform in the past.

Well, think if it another way, the lower middle class contributes the greatest proportion of their wages to social security. Once you get over a certain earning level, you top out on social security and pay a smaller proportion of your income. Simply raising the cap doesn’t work because people forget that EMPLOYERS pay the other half. So eliminating the cap or significantly increasing it hammers employers who might have many employees over the cap and suddenly would have to kick in huge amounts of money. Think of a Boeing or a Lockheed who might have thousands of employees over the social security cap. You raise that cap or eliminate it, and they start laying off high end employees lickety-split.

Here is what I would suggest:

1. Look at all H1B visas granted over the past 5 years. Look at the skill sets that were claimed to be required that they could not find locally.

2. Be aggressive in providing college funding, to include even outright grants in those fields of study.

3. Add a 25% social security salary tax paid by employers on all employees hired with H1B visas. This eliminates the problem of hiring H1B employees because they will work for less money. (Huge problem in silicon valley. Engineer from India will work for less than American engineer) Use that tax to go directly into the Social Security fund.

4. Eliminate the FICA and Social Security disability tax from being a payroll tax to being a national sales tax. This means that even people working “under the table” pay their fair share of tax. People who make more spend more and pay more. Exempt retail groceries, hygiene items, basic clothing items (underwear, socks, etc) from the tax. Also exempt up to the local median home price from the tax (but pay tax on the amount over that) and the first $30,000 of a car.

crosspatch on June 18, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Withholding newsworthy links seems reasonable and proper.

a capella on June 18, 2013 at 11:58 PM

nobar on June 18, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Sleep?

Sleeping is no mean art: for its sake one must stay awake all day. ~Friedrich Nietzsche

If you can’t sleep, then get up and do something instead of lying there worrying. It’s the worry that gets you, not the lack of sleep. ~Dale Carnegie

No day is so bad it can’t be fixed with a nap. ~Carrie Snow

Sleep that knits up the ravelled sleave of care
The death of each day’s life, sore labour’s bath
Balm of hurt minds, great nature’s second course,
Chief nourisher in life’s feast.
~William Shakespeare, Macbeth

There is more refreshment and stimulation in a nap, even of the briefest, than in all the alcohol ever distilled. ~Edward Lucas

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don’t have one. ~Leo J. Burke

Life is something that happens when you can’t get to sleep. ~Fran Lebowitz

It’s a cruel season that makes you get ready for bed while it’s light out. ~Bill Watterson

The bed is a bundle of paradoxes: we go to it with reluctance, yet we quit it with regret; we make up our minds every night to leave it early, but we make up our bodies every morning to keep it late. ~Charles Caleb Colton

A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures in the doctor’s book. ~Irish Proverb

Life is too short to sleep on low thread-count sheets. ~Leah Stussy

Most people do not consider dawn to be an attractive experience – unless they are still up. ~Ellen Goodman

Sleep… Oh! how I loathe those little slices of death. ~Author unknown, various wordings commonly attributed to Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Edgar Allan Poe, and Journey to the Center of the Earth

And if tonight my soul may find her peace
in sleep, and sink in good oblivion,
and in the morning wake like a new-opened flower
then I have been dipped again in God, and new-created.
~D.H. Lawrence

May sleep envelop you as a bed sheet floating gently down, tickling your skin and removing every worry. Reminding you to consider only this moment. ~Jeb Dickerson, http://www.howtomatter.com

Consciousness: that annoying time between naps. ~Author Unknown

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast. ~Author Unknown

PolAgnostic on June 18, 2013 at 11:58 PM

KOOLAID2 on June 18, 2013 at 11:50 PM

I’ll try to write one of my long screeds tomorrow. Our daughter flew back in from the Illustration Master Class, and we picked her up at our son and daughter-in-law’s today. We saw them for the last time until who knows when. They’re moving next week.

Someday I think I’ll write a novel about the life of a family in the era of Obama. Grapes of Wrath redux or something.

INC on June 18, 2013 at 11:58 PM

GhoulAid on June 18, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Probably not getting heard.

I like ALT a lot- she and I share a medical condition…..I think she relates to me …… but I’m not sure…

She helps make this a better place to spend time………

williamg on June 18, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Oh, and:

5. Look at all those who have student loan debt but are not making enough money to have to repay their loans. Look at their courses of study. Take the top five course of study for those who aren’t working and STOP funding those degree programs with government subsidized loans.

crosspatch on June 18, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Well, I’m not happy about ALT being banned either. She contributed quite a bit, hopefully that decision will be reconsidered.
No one wants to see slurs on here, however I would think that a stern warning or a ban with a certain time limit would certainly suffice for a contributor like ALT.

ORconservative on June 18, 2013 at 11:59 PM

canopfor on June 18, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Some level of sanity has returned.

nobar on June 18, 2013 at 11:35 PM

nobar:

Could be,sorry for the late response,I’m working on my old
POS computer,and I got the usual (Not Responding)crap,and
so its a ritual to reboot,every BOINKING TIME,F’n beyond
madness!

Anywho,whats up with ALT!….UghaRoo:)

canopfor on June 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM

PolAgnostic on June 18, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Well played, but you know what I meant.

nobar on June 19, 2013 at 12:01 AM

PolAgnostic on June 18, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Good points on the comments and reading. More intangibles. I’ll try to help out with this:

… the list is ENDLESS.

INC on June 19, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Rubio is like a five alarm fire and they react to him with, at best, a garden hose. Levin, Rush and especially Hannity, need to stop counting their money long enough to man up for America.

I keep hoping that one of them will read hotgas one of these days and will see my comments and it will shame them into action. My plan doesn’t seem to be working. Levin let Ryan talk 95% of the time and refused to go beyond not fully agreeing with him. He sounded like a mouse. He didn’t even yell once and he normally is just about always yelling.

VorDaj on June 19, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Hi. Can’t find a wrench I need. Might have to become a blacksmith and make one.

SparkPlug on June 19, 2013 at 12:05 AM

3 different links to op wb. Won’t post. Guess it never happened, huh?

I think I would call that censership. Not even a wiki link will post.

What the hell is up with that?

I can’t post history?

wolly4321 on June 19, 2013 at 12:05 AM

I hope it fails. Got my House list ready for calling tomorrow.

bluefox on June 18, 2013 at 11:56 PM

It’s killing me that I can’t spend the day phoning and faxing, but someone has to work to pay for the illegals. I left a message with Cruz’s office tonight that he needs to turn up the volume and not stay so much on the sidelines. Also left a message with Landrieu in LA using *67 and my Cajun accent. When I call the red state Dems, I always say that I was a blue dog Dem but am now an independent. I want them to think that they’ll lose my vote. Landrieu is essentially being threatened by the DNC that she doesn’t get any campaign cash unless she votes for it. She doesn’t have enough spine to vote on principle, but then, very few do.

TxAnn56 on June 19, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Un fricking believeable!! ALT banned???

Bring her back NOW!!!

Good Morning/ evening Ladies and Gents!! :-D

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 12:06 AM

ORconservative on June 18, 2013 at 11:59 PM

That seems fair to me.

bluegill on June 19, 2013 at 12:07 AM

wolly4321 on June 19, 2013 at 12:05 AM

THAT is blatent censorship wolly!!

Sheesh… what is happening to HA?

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Allah really does a good job. Has an interesting still get way of phrasing things. Excellent writer.

SparkPlug on June 19, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Being Banned to Ban-Hammer Island,or Moderation Purgatory
isn’t a nice feeling,I know,and so’I do hope this incident,
er,situation gets rectified sumpins for ALT!

canopfor on June 19, 2013 at 12:08 AM

bluefox on June 18, 2013 at 11:48 PM

KOOLAID2 on June 18, 2013 at 11:50 PM

:-) Hey, I’ve seen you there lately! OP must still be visiting with her Dad. I think we’re busy up here or attacking the Congress critters, LOL

What move?

bluefox on June 19, 2013 at 12:09 AM

canopfor on June 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Good to see you!! total bullcrap about ALT!!

Hope it is temporary my friend from way up north!! :)

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Hi. Can’t find a wrench I need. Might have to become a blacksmithperson and make one.

SparkPlug on June 19, 2013 at 12:05 AM

FIFY so you won’t get banned.

TxAnn56 on June 19, 2013 at 12:09 AM

GhoulAid on June 18, 2013 at 11:15 PM

ManWithNoParty on June 18, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Very similar philosophy as that of establishment republicans. Almost identical, if you stop and think about it.

VorDaj on June 19, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 12:06 AM

I miss SWalker.

SparkPlug on June 19, 2013 at 12:09 AM

SparkPlug on June 19, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Me too Sparky… here grab a tissue, sniff sniff

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Being Banned to Ban-Hammer Island,or Moderation Purgatory isn’t a nice feeling,I know,and so’I do hope this incident,
er,situation gets rectified sumpins for ALT!

canopfor on June 19, 2013 at 12:08 AM

The solution is to be like an illegal alien and have multiple identities. They can’t get them all.

VorDaj on June 19, 2013 at 12:12 AM

TxAnn56 on June 19, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Lolz. I wasn’t even trying to be provocative. Anyway I need to bend a regular wrench at a 90 angle. Maybe I could hammer it but then my hammer would be at a 90 angle.

SparkPlug on June 19, 2013 at 12:12 AM

As for this traitorous piece of cow patty, he makes me so so so sick!

How could he do this???

He is dead to me now…

* spit *

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Oh, and:
crosspatch on June 18, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Crosspatch for president!

bluegill on June 19, 2013 at 12:12 AM

SparkPlug on June 19, 2013 at 12:08 AM

AP’s been doing yeoman service on the amnesty front. Kudos for that. I really wish though that AP would use his paper bag avatar whenever he posts a picture of Rubio.

TxAnn56 on June 19, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Hammer heat anvil… hit… done ;)

Scrumpy on June 19, 2013 at 12:13 AM

bluefox on June 19, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Our family move. But I thought you knew about that. I’ll rehash tomorrow.

INC on June 19, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Or is that a DIFFERENT troll?

Liberal/progressive/leftist commenters can call people names?

Are those the REAL rules of Hot Air?

PolAgnostic on June 18, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Trolls hijack threads, most all threads they are interested in, never the ones they can’t defend, contrary to the house rules…and the ownership ignores…because it’s good for HA Capitalism.

Schadenfreude on June 19, 2013 at 12:13 AM