Quotes of the day

posted at 10:11 pm on June 18, 2013 by Allahpundit

It is painful to watch Marco Rubio’s maneuverings on immigration. He is refusing to say whether he will vote “yes” on his own Gang of Eight bill after spending months drafting, defending, and helping shepherd it to the floor. He has supposedly discovered that the enforcement provisions are inadequate, although he has done countless interviews touting that the bill contains the “toughest immigration-enforcement measures in the history of United States” (which is what his website still says). At the same time, Rubio declares the bill 95–96 percent perfect…

Beyond its treatment of illegal immigrants, the very large expansion in legal immigration that the bill would establish is problematic as well. While there are some persuasive economic arguments in favor of expanding legal immigration, the United States is a nation with an economy, not an economy with a nation. Our failure to fully assimilate new immigrants over the past several decades is not a reflection of our inability but our unwillingness to do so. That some are arguing for this bill as a necessary political sop to Hispanic voters is indicative of the toxic ethnic politics that we should be working to eliminate — and that radically higher levels of immigration would almost certainly entrench.

***

“How do we put together a bill and then the guy who put it together says that he may not vote for it?” Graham asked me. “I just don’t get what we’re doing here.”

His specific complaint: that GOP Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida, a fellow member of the Senate “gang of eight” who had spent months drafting a bipartisan immigration reform bill, seemed to be backing away from the legislation.

Rubio said that its border enforcement provisions need to be strengthened — and that he might oppose the bill if he didn’t get strong enough revised language. This infuriated and exasperated Graham, who had joined the gang in the first place to try to do a good legislative deed and also to protect himself politically.

***

Senator Marco Rubio declined to say who in his office told The New Yorker’s Ryan Lizza that “there are some American workers who, for lack of a better term, can’t cut it” and downplayed the importance of the now-controversial quote.

“I’m the senator. It’s my bill. I’m the one that votes on these things. I’m the one that makes decisions. Whatever other people want to opine or say to a reporter or somebody else, I can’t control that,” Rubio said…

“I’ve never viewed a guest-worker program as a way to replace Americans,” he added. ”I viewed it as a way for industries to be able to find labor in those industries where there is a shortage of domestic labor.”

***

“I support Senator Thune’s efforts to require completion of double layered border fencing,” Rubio said in a statement after voting against the amendment. “Properly deployed, these fences have proven highly effective in limiting illegal crossings. That is why the current bill requires $1.5 billion be spent specifically on a border fence plan.”

“However, his amendment does not detail a specific border plan,” Rubio claimed. “Therefore, I opposed his amendment and instead continue to work with my Republican colleagues to arrive at a new measure that improves on the significant border security measures already in the bill.”

***

In a free market, if a new immigrant worker can do a job better than an American worker for a cheaper price, there shouldn’t be a problem with a business hiring the immigrant. But when the immigration bill interacts with Obamacare’s employer mandate, it functions as a reverse tariff against hiring American citizens. It would be like subjecting Americans to a $3,000 tax on purchasing American cars, while allowing them to avoid that tax by purchasing cars from Germany, Japan, or any other country other than America. That’s not free trade. That’s government rigging the game against American citizens.

Sadly, Rubio, who is losing more and more credibility by the day among conservatives, has shown absolutely no leadership on trying to resolve this problem. When I first reported on the issue in April, Rubio spokesman Alex Conant responded that this was the sort of technical problem that could be fixed through amendments as the bill moved through the legislative process. But the issue was never addressed in the more than 200 amendments offered before the Senate Judiciary committee. None of the listed amendments filed since the bill made it to the Senate floor last week tackle the problem either. Despite this, Rubio declared on Sunday, “I think 95, 96 percent of the bill is in perfect shape and ready to go.” I don’t even think Obama would make such an audacious statement about Obamacare to this day.

***

Rohrabacher blasted his GOP colleague Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), a member of the Gang of Eight, for his part in pushing immigration reform.

“Rubio is so confused and so mixed up I think that he has given up his rightful place to advise any of us in Washington what to do, and certainly given up any right to be trusted by the American people,” he said. “It was over and over, contradiction after contradiction, lie after lie.”

***

Andrea Tantaros asked Sessions on her radio show to respond to reports that Rubio has not been seen with the Gang of Eight in public in over two months. “That’s odd,” Sessions said. “He is the one that’s in everybody’s homes running the ads. Makes you want to say ‘Marco, there’s somebody on the television pretending to be you, saying vote for the bill that you recently said shouldn’t pass in its current form.’”

***

Mark Krikorian, executive director of the Center for Immigration Studies, which strongly opposes the Gang’s bill, says Cruz seems reluctant to play a leading role in the immigration debate. “My sense is Cruz is kind of ambivalent,” Krikorian tells National Review Online. “Not ambivalent necessarily on amnesty — he’s pretty convinced that’s a bad idea — but he doesn’t seem to want to be the face of immigration hawkishness.”…

Still, some think Cruz may be wary of leading the opposition to an effort led by Senator Marco Rubio. “He really has wanted to avoid just turning the debate into a Cruz versus Rubio Hispanic rumble in the GOP,” Krikorian says. Indeed, Cruz has directed most of his criticism at Senate Democrats and President Obama, whom he called “the biggest obstacle to passing commonsense immigration reform.” If Cruz is trying to steer clear of the contrast with Rubio, it’s been successful. The press corps would typically salivate over such a conflict, but it has not received much attention, although USA Today did publish (in May) an article titled “Rubio vs. Cruz: Hispanic Conservatives Battle for GOP’s Soul.”

***

“Right now people think Marco isn’t ready,” said one Republican donor, who spoke candidly on condition of anonymity. “That could change if he gets immigration done. But so far people aren’t impressed.”

Republican Party of Florida Chairman Lenny Curry countered that whatever the complexities of Rubio’s decision to go all-in on immigration, it ought to remove any suspicion among his critics that the senator’s too green for national leadership.

“As a new senator, I would think that if there were anywhere people would try to attack him, they might say: ‘What have you done?’” Curry said. “The guy has stuck his neck out, literally stuck his neck out on a big issue. It’s demonstrating leadership and I think it’s what people are looking for.”

Curry added: “I think it helps him and I think it helps the Republican brand.”

***

Rubio’s push on immigration reform is going to get him some insider credit. Faith and Freedom Coalition President Ralph Reed looks favorably upon Rubio’s push. Most donors like Rubio’s new role. He’s also bound to win plaudits from the GOP establishment in the Senate, which is pushing for immigration reform. Overall, this is definitely the correct move for a person who might otherwise be seen as too “outsidery”.

Immigration reform has the additional advantage of being seen as a moderating force. It’s backed by most Americans and is generally supported by the party establishment because it’s seen (rightly or wrongly) as an electoral winner…

So, I think Rubio is making a smart political play by supporting immigration reform so openly. It’s the type of issue that will garner him plaudits from the party establishment – which generally gets to pick Republican nominees. It’ll help to reassure Republicans that he can win, which will likely be a chief concern for primary voters in 2016, as it was in 2012.

At the same time, Rubio can point to other issues where he is an outsider conservative, such as the debt ceiling. Rubio is proving, perhaps, that he knows how to balance the wings of his party correctly.

***

“I frankly think the Senate bill is weak on border security, I think the internal enforcement mechanisms are weak and the triggers are almost laughable.”

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Via the Daily Rushbo.

Via the Right Scoop.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Time for a road trip to the windmill museum?

Bmore on June 19, 2013 at 8:39 AM

KOOLAID2 on June 19, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Thank you, my brother!

kingsjester on June 19, 2013 at 8:51 AM

It’s too bad that Rubio didn’t demonstrate for the border patrol and deportation efforts. If you legalize a crime, you’re going to get more of it. I could explain that concept the my 2 year-old grandson. What’s next…legalize burglary so that we don’t have to prosecute burglars?

cajunpatriot on June 19, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Rubio is showing all the characteristics of a momentum-gathering favorite for the primaries and nomination. That’s what we do in the GOP, isn’t it — nominate total two-faced sell-outs?

rrpjr on June 19, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Career ending image attached to post

The Schaef on June 19, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I called Cruz’s office yesterday and said that we really need him to speak up on his opposition like he did on gun rights. This is no time to by shy on this issue. So far, my vote hasn’t been wasted but it’s hammer time now.

TxAnn56 on June 19, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Good message you gave Cruz.

Yes, it is hammer time. Talking to Boehner’s office this morning and he is working on an Immigration bill and plans to bring it up in the House for a vote. It’s not finished yet, and I haven’t had time to look online for any other info. Every House member I’ve called so far have been told to vote no any any Immigration bill that Boehner brings up.

If you find anything out on this, post somewhere, LOL

Here’s to successful calling/faxing!!

bluefox on June 19, 2013 at 11:50 AM

How come I hear people say that they got warnings from the moderators to ratchet it back but annoyinglittletwerp and Swalker just get tossed. Kissing the buttskis of trolls and newcomers while kicking out long timers doesn’t sound like a formula for success but what do I know?

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2013 at 12:09 PM

It is the way Ed has decided to steer the ship. GOPe failed as much as any other. Watch your back. You might be the next target Mrs Munford. ; )

Bmore on June 19, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I agree. Perhaps they need to revise the Terms of Use and put up a thread on it. After reading the trolls comments I can’t believe a word that is reported to be used by Alt was banned. It’s a very common word to describe illegal aliens in the State of Texas.

HA Mods should review the “gay” marriage threads; talk about comments jumping the sharks!!

bluefox on June 19, 2013 at 12:17 PM

A FYI, Ted Cruz up on Rush at 1PM

bluefox on June 19, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Bmore on June 19, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Yes, I am known far and wide for my borderline rude language./ If I go it will be for disagreeing with Someone, not unlike being audited, fined or over regulated by an all powerful government. Oh well, it’s their house.

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2013 at 12:26 PM

We are merely guests. ; ) The place is losing its uniqueness slowly and surely. ; )

Bmore on June 19, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Apparently, SWalker was warned numerous times. With ALT, who among us knows exactly what she said? Maybe it was pretty bad?

cozmo said this:

Is ALyT still banned?

I just got out of the shower and have a wet back. But I am spic & span and ready to rastle.

cozmo on June 18, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I got an email earlier from her and she wasn’t very happy.

She wrote something in an immigration thread and wasn’t able to post anything afterwards.

cozmo on June 18, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Hopefully, ALT will be able to post again soon…

Anti-Control on June 19, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Bmore on June 19, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I think that’s how it works. Many many of the commenters that were here when I first came have moved on. There is probably a business model that explains it and that they are following. In the long run we are the ones who must be satisfied with our visits or change our dynamic elsewhere. It’s all about the comment count.

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Yep.

Bmore on June 19, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Anti-Control on June 19, 2013 at 12:35 PM

She instant messaged The Husband. She did indeed, use an unfortunate term for immigrants that is probably commonly heard in her new neck of the woods. I will leave it at disagreeing with the moderators. If SWalker was warned and continued, than he has no one to blame but himself and I still miss him.

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I am not a fan of banning people over singular errors when they don’t have a problematic history. You know that ALT would be apologetic if she believed she crossed the line. People like that deserve second chances.

SWalker, on the other hand, didn’t care that he was on Ed’s bad side – in fact, to me it almost seemed that he was pushing things to see how far he could go…

Anti-Control on June 19, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Anti-Control on June 19, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I agree. There is no sense in arguing with the hosts since they seldom respond in a conversational way. People make mistakes and I agree history should be considered. Maybe there are so many of us and they really don’t know an individual’s overall tenor.

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Well, canopfor was able to regain his posting privilege, so we know the hosts are not completely inflexible.

I am crossing my fingers for ALT’s return! :)

Anti-Control on June 19, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Anti-Control on June 19, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I’d feel really weird commenting after being banned. I think canopfor may have run afoul of how much of an article he could use, not because he said anything “bad”.

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I think a simple warning should have been given. After all, they gave Walker a warning first.

bluefox on June 19, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Is Ed for the immigration reform? Allahpundit doesn’t seem to think much of it? They can’t ban each other can they?

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2013 at 1:32 PM

One can only hope. It would be great fun to watch the hammer swinging. I’ll go with Allah.

Bmore on June 19, 2013 at 1:44 PM