In Israel: Tomorrow is today

posted at 8:01 am on June 18, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

JERUSALEM – For those who might have wondered to where I disappeared yesterday, I spent all day traveling to Jerusalem.  For the second time in the last three years, the Israeli Presidential Conference – “Tomorrow 2013″ in this incarnation — has invited me to cover the event, and this time I will also be a speaker at one of the breakout sessions.  That takes place tomorrow, in a panel discussion titled “Has Traditional Media Been Caught In the Web?”  Forward’s Jane Eisner will moderate, and other panelists include MSNBC president Phil Griffin, Haaretz editor-in-chief Aluf Benn, and HBO chief Richard Plepler.  I got added late to the panel, and I’m looking forward to participating.

Otherwise, I plan to report on the different breakout and plenary sessions, and hopefully get interviews with some interesting figures in media and Israeli politics.  I have a couple already scheduled, in fact, although I don’t want to spoil any surprises at the moment.  Since this conference, unlike many significant American political events, won’t get live coverage in the US, I hope to bring Hot Air readers a unique flavor of an event they may not otherwise experience.  The nuance of Israeli politics doesn’t get translated well in American media, and perhaps we can do a little more justice by embedding.

That’s the way it worked out in 2011, when I last attended the conference.  Scott Johnson of Power Line did a great job embedding here last year, too.  I hope you’ll enjoy the content coming tomorrow and Thursday.

Note: The front-page picture is the view of Jerusalem from my hotel balcony.

Comments

Don’t work too hard, Ed..

Electrongod on June 18, 2013 at 8:04 AM

…and today…is tomorrow!

KOOLAID2 on June 18, 2013 at 8:04 AM

…and today…is tomorrow!

KOOLAID2 on June 18, 2013 at 8:04 AM

And Tomorrow never dies..

Electrongod on June 18, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Great gig and thanks for the insight.

hillsoftx on June 18, 2013 at 8:14 AM

♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

Tomorrow! Tomorrow!
I love ya Tomorrow!
You’re always
A day
A way!

♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

Stay safe, Ed.

Fallon on June 18, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Enjoy!

cmsinaz on June 18, 2013 at 8:15 AM

MSNBC president Phil Griffin

Oh man, it’s a good thing Ed is a responsible adult. I’d be frothing at a target that big…

trubble on June 18, 2013 at 8:15 AM

That is because American media is by-and-large anti-Israel if not outright Jew haters. I gotta wonder if that will come up in the discussions.

Happy Nomad on June 18, 2013 at 8:23 AM

…and today…is tomorrow!

KOOLAID2 on June 18, 2013 at 8:04 AM

I’ll gladly pay you next Tuesday for a hamburger today.

Steve Eggleston on June 18, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Forward’s Jane Eisner will moderate, and other panelists include MSNBC president Phil Griffin, Haaretz editor-in-chief Aluf Benn, and HBO chief Richard Plepler. I got added late to the panel, and I’m looking forward to participating.

I hope there is video – I want to see this.

ExpressoBold on June 18, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Welcome back to Israel!

brianoflondon on June 18, 2013 at 8:30 AM

MSNBC president Phil Griffin

I love him in Family Guy.

Happy Nomad on June 18, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Since this conference, unlike many significant American political events, won’t get live coverage in the US, I hope to bring Hot Air readers a unique flavor of an event they may not otherwise experience. The nuance of Israeli politics doesn’t get translated well in American media, and perhaps we can do a little more justice by embedding.

Happy to be a part of Hot Air.

davidk on June 18, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Ed, do yerself a favor…take some time off, head down Jaffa Road, stop in at Baguette Marciano…you’ll thank me later.

coldwarrior on June 18, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Consider me a “jew lover”.

I love Israel.

PappyD61 on June 18, 2013 at 8:39 AM

What the hell is MSNBC doing there, lol?

abobo on June 18, 2013 at 8:40 AM

That’s some pretty big names there, Ed. Even tho some of their outfits are kinda sketchy, it’s an honor for you to be on the panel — congrats!

KS Rex on June 18, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Ed,
The next time you travel to Israel you should bring me along as your lackey. I’ll carry your luggage, iron your clothes, hand you cold water, and nod my head approvingly at everything you say and do – as long as I can be in Israel too.

Enjoy the land that is set apart and holy to our Lord, and don’t take any wooden shekels.

Know It All on June 18, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Looking forward to the reporting of this panel discussion. Proud to have Ed and Hot Air representing and conveying this conference to all of us here. The “new media” is the shining light over our edited media here in the States. Bravo Ed.

Rovin on June 18, 2013 at 9:10 AM

If I outlive my husband by a looong time-may he live long and prosper-I’m making Aliyah.
I’ve never been to Israel-but I’ve been told that it’s beautiful.
Be safe, Ed.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 18, 2013 at 9:20 AM

What the hell is MSNBC doing there, lol?

abobo on June 18, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Are you kidding? Israel loves liberals.

HiJack on June 18, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I was wonder where you were and figured you were probably on vacation.

Have fun and take lots of pictures! Guest speaker, no less! Very cool.

dogsoldier on June 18, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Now I know which hotel you’re in. Using picture’s window view angle and estimated average concrete floor to ceiling height of 260cm, I should be knocking on your door in about 20 minutes. :)

Shy Guy on June 18, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Fallon on June 18, 2013 at 8:15 AM

If that gets stuck in my head, I will find you.

CurtZHP on June 18, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Any reaction to Barbra Streisand’s attack on Israel while receiving an honorary degree from Hewbrew Univ?

Barbra worries about the differences between men and women that observant Jews make as central to their religion.

No concerns about the zero rights given to women in muslim countries, or honor killings of women in muslim countries, or women not being able to vote/drive/etc in Saudi, or, or, or…

Just *really* concerned about women riding on buses in Israel.

Glad she’s got her priorities in line! Way to go, Babs!

sultanp on June 18, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Ed, I may potentially have an important Knesset MK lined up for you to do a 1 on 1 interview with. If you’re interested, you’ll have to email me privately.

Shy Guy on June 18, 2013 at 11:51 AM