Shock poll: Americans prefer dogs to cats — by more than 30 points

posted at 8:10 pm on June 17, 2013 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate. I was going to do another post on the disappointment that is Rubio and how the “American workers can’t cut it” quote from his aide looks even worse in context, but neither of those topics depressed me enough. I needed something more eeyorish, something to make me despair about the judgment of the electorate at large, not just a bunch of Beltway RINOs who aren’t even smart enough to pander to the right constituency. And then, thanks to PPP, I found it.

I can accept defeat on this question but I can’t accept a landslide. Every day, on various topics, I find commenters tweeting “America is finished.” Only now do I realize that they’re right.

ideo

No daylight between the RINOs and true conservatives there, my friends. This is why we lose elections.

The partisan split is surprising. Not the Republican numbers, but the Democratic ones:

rep

I thought there’d be a stronger feline showing among both Dems and women. Nope. Both top out at 26 percent. In a world of partisan gaps and gender gaps, the population errs on this one uniformly.

In fact, unless I missed something in PPP’s crosstabs, there’s only one demographic that puts cats within double digits of dogs. It’s landslide after landslide when testing for sex, race, ideology, geography, even vegan/vegetarianism. Only one group makes a contest of it. The free-thinkers, the contrarians — the young adults:

age

Gay marriage, pot legalization, opposition to intrusive government, and cats (almost). Second look at the brightness of America’s future?

Update: On second thought, Jay Cost figured out a way to make me sufficiently depressed about Rubio.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The partisan split is surprising.

… .

Um…….no.

The surprising thing is the large number of respondants who are “not sure.” I’m sorry cats are pure evil. Dogs are all good. How hard is that to understand?

Last month, I lost my 13-year-old beagle/cocker mix. It was not unexpected. In the last few months it was really about enjoying the time left. She literally was happy and alert to the end but when it was time, it was clear.

Cats only abide with those that feed them. I would never mourn the loss of a cat but the loss of my dog has literally turned my world in a different direction. Interestingly enough is the loss of a lack of connection to my neighborhood. When I walked the dog, I got to know neighbors and saw what was going on. Now- I get home from work and I don’t have to leave the house until the next morning when I have to go to work again.

Some people will appreciate what I am trying to say. Most will not. Because they don’t understand.

Happy Nomad on June 17, 2013 at 9:28 PM

My borzoi couldn’t even catch a slow baby rabbit walking her tonight.

I’ll bet a cat would have done better on that hunt.

Of course the damn cat would never come home after it got out.

Dogs believe in ‘ordered liberty’.

Cats are libertarians of the Ayn Rand variety.

KirknBurker on June 17, 2013 at 9:29 PM

OK……I have cats (love me to pieces), dogs (play with me and the cats), and 5 budgies.
Just rescued a box turtle from the street before she got run over (yes, she’s a she…black eyes) who now lives in my back yard.

I luv them all. Especially depressing is to see the ignorant statements about cats. If I ask if they want to go “outside”, they come arunnin’. They come when I call them, sound like buzz saws when I pick them up, bawl like babies if I don’t spend some time each day with them.

avagreen on June 17, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Only one group makes a contest of it. The free-thinkers, the contrarians — the young adults…/blockquote>

I wouldn’t confuse “contrarian” and “free thinker.”

I haven’t met many young adult “contrarians” who have an inkling of Leftism and its history, goals and current depredations. Quite the opposite. And “free thinker” to me implies someone with the elementary knowledge base of social influences to roam intellectually across the range of contemporary issues in an informed manner. Don’t meet these people either.

rrpjr on June 17, 2013 at 9:36 PM

BTW, both my cats, rescued last XMAS from the country where’d they’d been dumped think they are dogs. Someone raised those two little guys with dogs. They come in/go out with dogs. ;)

avagreen on June 17, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Happy Nomad on June 17, 2013 at 9:28 PM
My cats are as much my children as my son is.
Sasha Tortie is 13 now. I’ll be sobbing for days when she goes.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 17, 2013 at 10:02 PM

IrishEi on June 17, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Too funny. Good one.

Cleombrotus on June 17, 2013 at 10:06 PM

if you were close to where i live id invite you over just so i could dare you to raise your voice to me. you would change your tune pretty quick. while most cats may seem aloof they really arent as independant as you might think i rescued one of mine after finding it when it was too young to be seperated from its mama . she is now 3 yrs old and still nurses on one of my shirts and she will tear you a new one for looking at me wrong . the other animals follow her lead. just because you have never met a cat that is defensive of its owner doesnt mean they all arent. my animals all follow me around everywhere i go and none of them will tolerate anyone raiseing there voice or threatening me including my own husband. dont make broad sweeping strokes love.

katee bayer on June 17, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Touchy? I apologize. Next time I’ll be a little more serious when an incredibly important thread like this shows up again.

Sorry about the broad sweeping stroke in this semi-satirical thread love.

ritewhit on June 17, 2013 at 10:15 PM

I always had a dog as a kid and young adult. However…..

About 4 years ago on fourth of July about 7:00 AM I rescued a 4-6 week old Siamese cat when it fell into the neighbors in ground pool and got sucked up into the filter. Went to the store and then was going to take him to the humane society. Gone an hour. When I got home I found that the wife had gotten dressed went to the store and bought him kitten chow. She declared that his name was “Maxwell Smart” and that was the end of it.

I have tried to train him like a dog. But he heals only 80% of the time when I call his name. When he is not prowling the yard he is sitting or napping on the back of my computer chair while I work.

He almost died 3 weeks ago when we went to the humane society and brought home a little friend for him. The new cat was a carrier of several viruses that we did not know she had (Bordetella and something else). In 5 days time Max was near death (literally). I spent close to $1000 on vet fees. And a last ditch effort of highly potent meds brought him back from deaths door.

I have been trying to get the humane society to do something about the conditions of their kennels where we got the new cat from. But they insist that no animal leaves their facility sick. It was not until I gave the supervisor an copy of both cats lab reports that she promised to look into the situation and get back to me.

Still waiting for the call.

mechkiller_k on June 17, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Oh yeah, I love dogs. I love how they bark all frikkin’ night, and I love how they crap all over my yard because I have grass and they have desert landscaping in their yards. *grumble grumble*

SailorMark on June 17, 2013 at 10:30 PM

I swing both ways when it comes to cats and dogs. I guess that makes me bi-something or other….

Kraken on June 17, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Cat people here. Have three right now, two Siamese and one Snowshoe (which is a laid-back siamese). Over the years we’ve had about ten cats come and go in our lives, until we’ve managed to whittle it down to these three. The most I had at one time was five, which is too many cats by far (especially when it comes to cleaning out litterboxes). They are indoor only cats. The snowshoe is devoted almost solely to my spouse; one of the other Siamese is devoted to me. The third Siamese is cranky and friendly by terms, and loves both of us equally. The two Siamese are girls and they hate the guts of the stinky boy snowshoe (the feeling’s mutual). But we love them to pieces and, considering how we’ve reacted in the past when we’ve lost one, we’ll be devastated to lose them someday. Two are 13 so we just might in the next couple of years. The longest we had one cat was 18 years, and she was just a mutt, but was the sweetest cat ever.

Dogs are slavishly loyal; but when a cat chooses to love you, it is a wonderful thing.

theotherone on June 17, 2013 at 11:08 PM

theotherone on June 17, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Right now, I’ve got a 15 lb , dilute tortie, Meezer mix in my lap, purring her goofy heart out.
Love.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 17, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Still waiting for the call.

mechkiller_k on June 17, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Yeah, you keep waiting ….. any second now …..

listens2glenn on June 17, 2013 at 11:20 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on June 17, 2013 at 11:19 PM

15 LBs ? !

Are you sure that’s not a pot-bellied pig, with fur?

listens2glenn on June 17, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Oh, the humanity!

Cats are adorable, and you don’t have to pick up their poo.

And I have said Marc Rubio will switch parties just like Crist did.

These things don’t belong together, do they?

PattyJ on June 17, 2013 at 11:24 PM

theotherone on June 17, 2013 at 11:08 PM

The MM is 13 and rescued from a kill-shelter. She was 4-pawed declawed…but not by us. Whomever did it abused her. She is MY cat.
The tabby is 5 1/2 and was given to us as a kitten, 3 weeks after we lost our faux Russian Blue boy to cancer. He’s affectionate, neurotic, and an idiot. There’s space between his ears-but not much else. He’s my husband’s cat. The brainiac is a gray/white tuxie girl that was born underneath my complex’s tool shed. We brought her in when she was around 6 months old. She’s 2 1/2. She’s bright and cute. She adores my son-and barely tolerates the rest of us. When he moves out-she’s going with him.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 17, 2013 at 11:29 PM

IrishEi on June 17, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Too funny. Good one.

Cleombrotus on June 17, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I back-tracked to read that one . . . . . . . . . . DITTOS ! … : )

listens2glenn on June 17, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Cats = independent. self reliant. you have to work to get their trust. Conservative.

Dogs = dependent. relies on big owner to take care of them. unconditionally trusts authority. Liberal.

Vegi on June 17, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Cats = independent. self reliant. you have to work to get their trust. ConservativeAnarchists.

There, fixed it for ya.

watertown on June 17, 2013 at 11:50 PM

yesiamapirate on June 17, 2013 at 11:49 PM

ANARCHATS!

annoyinglittletwerp on June 17, 2013 at 11:55 PM

I like Turtles.

Christien on June 17, 2013 at 11:59 PM

put a gun to my head I’d pick dogs. But in reality I like both to tell you the truth. If either shed a lot then I have issues.

Hummer53 on June 18, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Cats want food and a place to crap. Dogs want food, a place to crap and give love in return.

Drill and Fill on June 17, 2013 at 9:05 PM

You’re doing cats wrong.

This applies to all of you who say bad things about cats, actually. Dogs are the lazy man’s pet…who in the world can’t get a dog to like them? Tell them that they’re a good boy/girl in an inane baby-talk voice, scratch behind their ears, and call it done. You have to court a cat. It takes someone who really cares to earn a cat’s love. Someone who will invest the time and effort to build a real relationship with their pet instead of establishing dominance, commanding loyalty, and calling that love. Not all cat owners do this, and this is why there are such negative stereotypes about cats. But those that do will know without a doubt that cats can give more love than any other animal.

James on June 18, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Show me a man who hates cats and I’ll show you a man with a tiny dick. Or one that doesn’t work right.

kit9 on June 18, 2013 at 2:32 AM

Hmmm…Cats have a mind of their own. Cat’s, will quite honestly, say FU Human!

rocker98 on June 18, 2013 at 2:43 AM

avagreen on June 17, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Bet you don’t leave the cats alone with the budgies.

Arnold Yabenson on June 18, 2013 at 5:59 AM

Dogs are the narcissist’s pet.

rhombus on June 18, 2013 at 6:35 AM

SailorMark on June 17, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Hey if dogs are barking all night that is the owner’s fault for not training them. Don’t blame the animal for bad manners if they never learned differently.

But I had to laugh at your comments about landscaping. The dog and I ended up in Winslow AZ on the way to California. She simply would not go until we found some kind of vegitation, even a clump of weeds, to do her business.

Happy Nomad on June 18, 2013 at 7:12 AM

Don’t blame the animal for bad manners if they never learned differently.

Happy Nomad on June 18, 2013 at 7:12 AM

Kind of true for terrorists, drug dealers, hit men and Democrats too, dotcha think?

rhombus on June 18, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Cats are libertarians of the Ayn Rand variety.

KirknBurker on June 17, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Cats are terrorists and rebels.

Quartermaster on June 18, 2013 at 7:31 AM

A dog will eat sh1t.

garnkikaloid on June 18, 2013 at 7:51 AM

Never seen a seeing eye cat, never seen a rescue cat, never seen a herding cat, never seen a drug sniffing cat, never seen a guard cat, never seen a police cat, never seen a combat cat, never seen any cat do anything worthwhile…

My dog, keeps geese off the property (and neighbors), keeps cats off property, but allows the ducks to come off the water and walk around (we allow it and he knows the difference), he keeps the rabbits away (and occasionally chases one down, survival of the fittest), keeps the deer away, but doesn’t wander off the property except to chase the geese (because the neighbors allow that). A mole or gopher has a short life on our yard. And the squirrels are very nervous, a certain bird feeder is off limits to squirrels, they have learned it’s a trap! Birds can eat their, but no squirrel lasts long.

When the neighbor dog takes off (he’s a “runner”), our dog goes, finds him and brings him back.

The right dog, works, no cat works, the one saving grace, if you let a cat roam wherever, they will catch an occasional mouse or rat.

right2bright on June 18, 2013 at 8:16 AM

This is true for me. How I view Dogs and Cats

El_Terrible on June 17, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Here is how I view Dogs and Cats.

Odysseus on June 18, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Cats are RINOs. Just when you think they love you because they purr and rub up against you lovingly–they’ll decide it’s time to scratch your eyes out.

Don L on June 18, 2013 at 8:57 AM

I’ve seen service cats. One in particular that as far as I could tell was trained to sniff out imminent insulin issues.

I like dogs fine, but I *LOVE* cats. Never understood why they are the targets of such hatred.

I imagine lots of cat haters shrug in bemusement as to why we are so sensitive about cats–and the reason is, although it’s fun to make fun of cats and their behavior, there are too many people out there who really would casually torture and kill a cat, and there are fewer people who would do the same to a dog. Animal abuse is not just wrong, but a marker for sociopathy; people get that with dogs and then they give it a pass with cats.

Andy in Colorado on June 18, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Reality contradicts this PPP poll; There are more cats in US households than there are dogs 55% to 45%.

DC555 on June 18, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Why are there so many I don’t knows in this stupid poll. This is not a rocket science question, for Pete’s sake. We have both and love both.
My cat says he could care less and go ahead and let him guard the budgies.

Kissmygrits on June 18, 2013 at 9:04 AM

The right dog, works, no cat works.

Cleaned out the whole neighborhood of chipmunks so all the neighbors love her. Keeps the squirrels up in the trees where they belong. Goes after Canada geese but ignores all other birds. Keeps the inside of our home bug free. Takes care of her own business, minds her own business. Evenings are lap time. My dog-owning friends spend half their day walking around with poop filled bags.

MarkT on June 18, 2013 at 9:15 AM

DC555 on June 18, 2013 at 9:04 AM

You need to see the links in my comment, here. You never see those stories with dogs.

GWB on June 18, 2013 at 9:24 AM

MarkT on June 18, 2013 at 9:15 AM

My cats are TOTALLY indoor. They don’t need to go out and massacre other wildlife. We also live off of an expressway and live in an area where ‘outside’ pets are stolen to be sold to labs or used as bait in dogfighting.
Pass.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 18, 2013 at 9:28 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on June 18, 2013 at 9:28 AM

I didn’t know that pets are sold to labs here. The dogfighting……yeah, I was afraid of that.

I live close to Briercroft. We need to talk. But, not sure how.

avagreen on June 18, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Bet you don’t leave the cats alone with the budgies.

Arnold Yabenson on June 18, 2013 at 5:59 AM

Well, the cats would like to play with the budgies, but you know how budgies are…… They can be real monsters in a group.

But, I still luv ‘um.

avagreen on June 18, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I have three dogs( a Goldie, A boxer, and a Boston) two cats( a Ragdoll, and a tigercat) and a Bearded Dragon. Apparently I am an Independent with a lot of hair in my house. :)

melle1228 on June 18, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Then there are those who have both a cat and a dog, or multiples. But yeah, my dog loves me and likes to play. My cat…is happy when I feed her, but at least she doesn’t intrude on my liberty.

kirkill on June 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM

used as bait in dogfighting

That’s terrible! Never knew that even existed!

PattyJ on June 18, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Yes, but the cats still pown teh interwebs.

RedNewEnglander on June 18, 2013 at 11:57 AM

All cats and dogs sold in America have listening devices implanted in their bellies…just kidding…I think.

Don L on June 18, 2013 at 12:05 PM

used as bait in dogfighting

That’s terrible! Never knew that even existed!

PattyJ on June 18, 2013 at 11:10 AM

You ain’t seen nothin’ yet!

Warning:NSFA (not safe for anyone):

“Could there be a God that would let this happen?”

RedNewEnglander on June 18, 2013 at 12:10 PM

RedNewEnglander on June 18, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Don’t want to. Makes me want to buy a gun on find people like this.

This is the closest I think I’d ever get to murder: hurting a child, or hurting an animal.

If I see this in my presence……I’m just warning anyone…not pleasant. I might get hurt badly, but I’d take a few with me. *not kidding*

avagreen on June 18, 2013 at 12:28 PM

*and find

avagreen on June 18, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I own
1 dog
2 cats
Many tropical fish
1 Hamster
2 Birds

What does that make me?

watertown on June 17, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Soon you will have 1 dog, no fish, no hamsters, no birds, and two very fat cats.

But probably no mice or cat poop to pick up either.

Vegi on June 17, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Cats are totally selfish and narcissist, just like our President. So why does he have a dog, which he named after himself?

Now if somebody could litter-train a dog, that would be a pet I would want!

Steve Z on June 18, 2013 at 12:59 PM

MarkT on June 18, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Well, isn’t that great, your friends pick up after their animal, but you don’t.

Yeah, I have a cat that hangs around, and he loves our garden to poop in. My dog is a herder so he just chases the cat away, but of course the owner would never think of picking up after the cat…and you are a perfect example.
You make fun of responsible pet owners…

right2bright on June 18, 2013 at 1:03 PM

But they eat sh1t. How nasty! None of these things is sufficient to overcome the fact that a dog will not only eat sh1t, but will fight another dog for the privilege. Nasty, nasty animals, devoid of manners or any other saving grace. And why is it, that given a dog’s vaunted nose, they MUST place the snout directly on crotch or asshole???

garnkikaloid on June 18, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Cats bury their own sh1t, likely to keep dogs from eating it.

garnkikaloid on June 18, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Yeah that’s right. Dogs rule and cats drool! hrrmm um well… You know what I mean…

hotairhead on June 18, 2013 at 10:17 PM