OFA’s first ObamaCare ad: Hey, Americans are already seeing the benefits!

posted at 10:31 am on June 17, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

I mentioned on Friday that I’d been wondering when Organizing for Action née the Obama campaign was going to throw their full weight behind the White House and Democrats’ ferociously crucial endeavor to “inform” the public about the many “benefits” with which the “Affordable” Care Act is going to be [forcibly] serving them, because without insurers and plenty of insurees ready and rarin’ to sign up for the law’s proffered programs, the whole thing is wildly less likely to get off to an even halfway decent start — which is going to be a pretty crucial feat to accomplish before the fight for their electoral chances in the 2014 midterms next year. Ergo, here they come, guns blazing with a brand-new seven-figure summer ad buy touting the benefits that Americans are supposedly already seeing:

Better coverage, lower costs? My, that sounds nice, except that plenty of Americans don’t necessarily want better coverage (like the many young and healthy people the law needs to pay up for more expensive and comprehensive plans), and it’s turning out that a lot of these “lower costs,” aren’t. Less likely to appear in what I’m sure will be more forthcoming ads over the next year will be the fact that ObamaCare might in effect be hurting some of the very people it’s designed to help; as Jillian Kay Melchior explains at NRO, a lot of low-income hourly workers are likely looking at paying larger health care costs than they did before the law was implemented:

So the federal government has proposed so-called safe-harbor standards, which will stipulate the minimum requirements of an “affordable” plan, putting employers legally in the clear. Basically, such a plan would include a $3,500 deductible, a $6,000 cap on out-of-pocket costs, and premiums of $90 or less a month. …

It’s easy to see why low-income workers might be frustrated by the new law. Before, many employers who paid by the hour offered limited medical plans. These policies often got a bad rap because of their lack of catastrophic coverage. But to their credit, they were inexpensive and contributed to health-care costs immediately, without workers needing to first meet a deductible.

Now, these low-wage hourly workers would be forced to spend at least $5,300 before their coverage really begins to benefit them. For someone who’s already under financial duress, that’s a real burden.

Comments

we have always been at war with Eastasia

philw1776 on June 17, 2013 at 10:35 AM

barackobama.com?

Imagine “Why the Iraq war” at georgewbush.com.

Marcus on June 17, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I am seeing the benefits of my premiums skyrocketing and rationing of care.

I’ve already reported myself to fishy.gov.

tom daschle concerned on June 17, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Name ONE benefit of Obamacare? And then defend it, factually.

coldwarrior on June 17, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Looks like it only benefits minorities and women, that must explain why I haven’t seen any yet. I guess give it 50 more years and I’ll be in the minority.

LoganSix on June 17, 2013 at 10:40 AM

They can buy all of the ad time they want to, it isn’t going to help.

Johnnyreb on June 17, 2013 at 10:40 AM

My heath insurance premiums have gone up 15-17% in the past year.

vcferlita on June 17, 2013 at 10:41 AM

This propaganda makes me barf and is something far more suitable for Cuba or Venezuela for the supposedly land of the free…

WTF has happened to my country?!

Skywise on June 17, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Insurance? What’s that? Lost mine first open enrollment after barkycare passed. Nobody could afford it. Company doesn’t offer it anymore.

wolly4321 on June 17, 2013 at 10:43 AM

The only Americans seeing any benefits are the poor who get subsidized and the rich who own the service providers. The destruction of the middle class really is official policy among the ruling elites. Lenin’s vision of the twin millstones of inflation and taxation he could have easily been a metaphor for republians and democrats, respectively.

abobo on June 17, 2013 at 10:43 AM

OFA’s first ObamaCare ad: Hey, Americans are already seeing the benefits!

Death Panels – Obamas answer to mothers-in-law!

Valkyriepundit on June 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM

The ad must have been written by Congressmen and their staffers. You know, the ones who may not be covered by Obamacare.

NavyMustang on June 17, 2013 at 10:46 AM

If you’re a minority, have no healthcare insurance and you don’t want to pay for any, just relax and let the government subsidize it and you’re home free. In the meantime, all the rest of us will pitch in and make your payments for you. This is a disgusting pile of goat dung.

rplat on June 17, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Forcing me to buy benefits I don’t want and which I would never use (some because I physically can’t) is not “better coverage”. Further, birth control and abortion is not health care.

tommyboy on June 17, 2013 at 10:47 AM

WTF has happened to my country?!

Skywise on June 17, 2013 at 10:42 AM

I was going to say, it really bugs me that he’s got this campaign arm out there peddling this garbage. There is something extremely creepy about OFA and the whole arrangement.

Then again, the MSM has been engaged in propaganda on his behalf for years, so you’ve gotta wonder why they even need OFA in the first place.

changer1701 on June 17, 2013 at 10:47 AM

When are we going to have the IRS audit OFA for illegal campaign activities?

Tater Salad on June 17, 2013 at 10:49 AM

OFA’s first ObamaCare ad: Hey, Americans are already seeing the benefits!

If rainbows & unicorns for everyone are benefits.

22044 on June 17, 2013 at 10:49 AM

What a steaming load of bullsh*t.

It’s good to see the narcissist is actually referring to it as Obamacare now. I hope his followers choke on this when it’s fully implemented. Ignorant pricks that they are.

Polish Rifle on June 17, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Name ONE benefit of Obamacare? And then defend it, factually.

coldwarrior on June 17, 2013 at 10:39 AM

If you are a filthy liberal commie then Obamacare is great. Just the next step in destroying private insurance and putting everybody on a single-payer system.

If you are not a filthy liberal commie then there isn’t too much to love about the system.

Happy Nomad on June 17, 2013 at 10:50 AM

we have always been at war with Eastasia

philw1776 on June 17, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Orwell FTW. Well done.

RadioAngel on June 17, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Further, birth control and abortion is not health care.

tommyboy on June 17, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Of course abortion and birth control are not health care. This administration has declared them “rights” even more important than the enumerated rights like religious freedom.

Happy Nomad on June 17, 2013 at 10:53 AM

You can always tell the movies that suck. The ones with all the ads.

TexAz on June 17, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I might also add that my mother, who has a port due to poor circulation, was recently told by her doctor that they can no longer take blood from her port more than once in two months. Is this due to health risks, you ask? Why no. It is a new restriction from Ocare. My insurance has gone up and so has my sister’s, and both of us are healthy with no dependants. Our company pays the majority of our plans but our part of the cost that we have to pay has gone up dramatically in the last two years.

RadioAngel on June 17, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Are they a 501c4 status?

IRS approved?

cmsinaz on June 17, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Name ONE benefit of Obamacare? And then defend it, factually.

coldwarrior on June 17, 2013 at 10:39 AM

For once the law of unintended consequences is acting in our favor–Ocare is making some doctors dump all insurers and deal directly with patients for payment. Government meddling in the form of regulations, reporting requirements, etc. are what drove the cost of healthcare through the roof to begin with. This is a great example of the free market adjusting to government intrusion and turning chicken s–t into chicken salad.

But that’s not what you meant I’m guessing;)

cornbred on June 17, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Why are all the people in that ad brown and young? Do only brown and young people benefit from ObamaCare?

txmomof6 on June 17, 2013 at 10:59 AM

A sitting President is raising money through a third-party org to run TV ads supporting the President’s agenda. Why does this not shock and offend across the board? Oh, right. Ego One can do whatever he wants.

IndieDogg on June 17, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Are they a 501c4 status?

IRS approved?

cmsinaz on June 17, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Pretty quick huh? I wonder how many questionaires and audits they had to go through?

Tater Salad on June 17, 2013 at 11:01 AM

cornbred on June 17, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Unfortunately that doesn’t help much with the costs of surgical or in patient hospital care, which are far higher than routine care and for which a viable insurance industry is a necessity.

txmomof6 on June 17, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I’m already under RomneyCare, which is early-adopter ObamaCare.

There are no “benefits.” I had a $323/month premium before RomneyCare hit. Now, it’s $808/month. Non-compliant, catastrophic insurance coverage is illegal. I will be fined $1026 if I don’t buy this coverage. My doctor is not accepting MassHealth payments because they don’t cover her costs, so if you’re a patient who can’t afford $808/month, goodbye!

America deserves every ounce of pain ObamaCare will bring on it. Suffer in agony, you miserable voters who hired the clowns that made this the law of the land.

DarthBrooks on June 17, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Indeed tater

cmsinaz on June 17, 2013 at 11:04 AM

How is it that Organizing for Action is a 501.C.3 (or whatever) charity but they refer you to barackobama.com/healthcare, is that not a campaign? Isn’t it illegal for a “charity” to run campaigns? They don’t even try to hide it; they throw it in our faces and dare us to do something about it. I loathe these people. My premiums have increase three years in a row and I’m past the point of being pi$$ed off I’m livid. How can they make these claims? Where is our national leadership pointing out the real facts? I really am starting to loathe just about everyone on the planet at this point. The failures of all the supposed representatives in both houses are cowards and failures. Voting against all of them is our only hope if we as a nation are to last more than a just few more years.

D-fusit on June 17, 2013 at 11:04 AM

rplat on June 17, 2013 at 10:46 AM

For the rest of you, let me translate:

“disgusting pile of goat dung” = wealth redistribution

slickwillie2001 on June 17, 2013 at 11:05 AM

No matter how good the advertising campaign, when you’re selling dog food the dogs have to eat the food.

Curtiss on June 17, 2013 at 11:08 AM

People really have to read (or re-read) Orwell’s ’1984′. An announcement by Big Rother of a ‘grand and glorious’ Oceania ‘victory’ followed by an announcement that the chocolate ration has been reduced from 30 to 20 grammes.

MaiDee on June 17, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Oh boy! I can’t wait to subsidize the medical care of 30 million illegal a newly-minted citizens!

And let’s get them some of that EITC cash!

M240H on June 17, 2013 at 11:09 AM

As a conservative, I can’t wait for my very own IRS-administered proctological exam!

M240H on June 17, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Name ONE benefit of Obamacare? And then defend it, factually.

coldwarrior on June 17, 2013 at 10:39 AM

and this where GOP pac needs to come into play….take that package of lies and rebut each one of them succinctly…

hillsoftx on June 17, 2013 at 11:18 AM

txmomof6 on June 17, 2013 at 11:02 AM

That’s where the Surgery Center comes in. Up front pricing.

Reason TV video

LoganSix on June 17, 2013 at 11:24 AM

It is a new restriction from Ocare

There are many. Pap smears? Needed once every 2 years, not one! Mammograms, the same. This will continue until there is a permanent war going on over every paragraph of this damn bill.

Apparently, though, Caucasians appear to be exempt. Or, he knows we don’t believe him anyway.

PattyJ on June 17, 2013 at 11:35 AM

vcferlita: “My heath insurance premiums have gone up 15-17% in the past year”.

Sorry to hear that.
But rejoice in the fact that because of your higher premiums, Sandra Fluke may have free contraceptives.

Belle on June 17, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Obamacare is an employment tax on citizens.

HHS will cut the under 50 employee exemption cause employers are shedding full time employees.

workingclass artist on June 17, 2013 at 11:52 AM

cornbred on June 17, 2013 at 10:59 AM

And a lot of them are fleeing the blue states to red states that have lower mal-practice insurance premiums and that are fighting implementation.

workingclass artist on June 17, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Old School Debtor’s prisons are next.

workingclass artist on June 17, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Workingclass, it is my belief that when people flee to red states, many of them are liberals & are tired of high taxes. But what do they do? I have no proof, other than conversations with some, that they bring their ideology with them & continue voting for liberalism.

Belle on June 17, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Name ONE benefit of Obamacare? And then defend it, factually.

coldwarrior on June 17, 2013 at 10:39 AM

But that’s not what you meant I’m guessing;)

cornbred on June 17, 2013 at 10:59 AM

How long do you think the fascists will allow that to go on?

workingclass artist on June 17, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Every job lost because of Obamacare should be added to the cost of the law. Every dollar of income and benefits lost due to employee reduction to part time status should be added to the cost of Obamacare. Every job lost due to companies cutting back on expansion to stay below the 50 employee threshold should be added to the cost of Obamacare. Every dollar of unemployment paid out due to Obamacare should be added to the cost of Obamacare.

stefano1 on June 17, 2013 at 12:11 PM

How many stupid people ARE there in this world?

ultracon on June 17, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Yep. I am seeing the benefits. Got pushed off a passably decent insurance (good catastrophic) to one with one of the worst reputations in the country for withholding payment. Can’t wait. I’d rather have NO insurance and a concierge doctor at this point…

Oh yeah…and paying more money for the privilege.

bigbeachbird on June 17, 2013 at 12:16 PM

How long do you think the fascists will allow that to go on?

It will be illegal within a day of the Dems taking the House. O/w, forget it.

PattyJ on June 17, 2013 at 12:22 PM

How many stupid people ARE there in this world?

More than you can imagine. and they are the ones most likely to reproduce in huge numbers, passing on the legacy of stupidity.

hawkeye54 on June 17, 2013 at 12:23 PM

More like outright disaster..

Those kinds of out of pocket expenses mean, people will just not see a doctor till it’s no longer possible not to.

I’m a disabled retiree on SSD and Medicare, and my costs of out of pocket expenses just went way up. The Medicare cuts Obama demanded to pay for his beloved program are hitting fixed income retirees who have no other options.

But the prick got his free abortion and condom coverage didn’t he?

That was pure BS aimed at low info young voters who think with their genitals. That their costs are also going WAY up, isn’t mentioned..

But according to Obama, maybe I should just take the damned pill and wait to die. I’m still going through a workers comp claim, and now, after denying a lumbar surgery already, my stenosis has worsened, the end result, the last couple of weeks, my right leg suddenly goes freezing cold, then dead numb and cuts out, can’t even stand on it, have already fallen about 3 times from it.. so they asked for an expedited new MRI, with a spinal fluid dye..

Thankfully, it’s workers comp, because I doubt Medicare would care that much.. but give them time, they’ll find a way to screw that up too. Had to refuse rehab pool therapy for a newly discovered hip misalignment, one hip inches higher than the other, making walking very painful. Because Medicare decided I could pay another 100 or so a month for it.. I have a family to feed.. so that’s out.

My SSD combined with the stipend for our two minor children is only 2100 a month, even with my wife working, we barely crack 40,000 a year, not exactly high living, but we’re living within our means, no credit cards, and are doing alright.. That Obama thinks vastly increased costs are just a minor issue tells you he has not a friggin clue about how most of us live..

He’s been gaming the system, being paid and pampered by the ultra wealthy thieving left, writing two books, about himself, his wife given a make work job at six figures.. he never has been down with the struggle to live.. he’s a poser, stupidly following received dogma, too rabidly left to ever question why his policies always fail.

mark81150 on June 17, 2013 at 12:31 PM

And let’s get them some of that EITC cash!

Hey, and lets be sure to get a families of four to six moved into our spare bedrooms too…..it isn’t fair for us to have so much unoccupied space.

/s

hawkeye54 on June 17, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Ahhh, yes…makes me think of the scene in the movie “Fargo” about ‘Tru-coat’….

olesparkie on June 17, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Belle on June 17, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Which is why conservatives need to convert as many as possible. Many of them are just ignorant and conditioned to hive thinking.

It’s possible…Look at David Mamet.

workingclass artist on June 17, 2013 at 12:46 PM

How long do you think the fascists will allow that to go on?

It will be illegal within a day of the Dems taking the House. O/w, forget it.

PattyJ on June 17, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Yep.

workingclass artist on June 17, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Not to belabor the obvious, but anyone who opposes Obamacare and has an extra 7-figures to throw around needs to bracket these ads with a strong paid media effort explaining in detail and without sugar-coating how f’ed people will be (especially the starry-eyed Obama pod hipsters chain-smoking clove ciggies outside every bar and coffee shop in America) once this thing really gets rolling, amirite?

Sacramento on June 17, 2013 at 1:02 PM

rplat on June 17, 2013 at 10:46 AM

but the “rest of us” is getting fewer every year.

and the Dow Jones is hanging in there.

the Eurozone is in another recession.

China’s economy is having problems.

India and France are taking steps to control their citizens’ ability to buy gold.

some are saying that we no longer have all of Germany’s gold in safe storage to give back to them…be that as it may, why does Germany want it back?

QE is still going on.

If I were cynical, I’d say things are falling apart and that we’re headed straight towards Socialism and a true NWO.

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 17, 2013 at 1:21 PM

They can buy all of the ad time they want to, it isn’t going to help.

Johnnyreb on June 17, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Do not forget the admonition of Herr Göbbels: If you tell a lie often enough, it becomes the truth.

Odysseus on June 17, 2013 at 1:26 PM

WOW! Now Obamacare has no clothes.

I guess if the lie is big enough, everyone will believe it cannot be true, right?

EdmundBurke247 on June 17, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Are Obamacare taxes & fees here to crush in finality the middle class? Is this part of the socialist agenda?

Is this why Obama is syphoning funds off the treasury with his African adventure? Why the IRS, EPA & GSA are permitted to have lavish parties/conventions, & if they get caught, so what?

Is this why the royal family lands in Ireland, & the Queen & her entourage book 30 rooms, & her suit is $3,300/night?

& is this why amnesty will pass because the big businesses have paid off Rubio, Boehner, Gramnesty, McCain, Ryan, Ayotte, et al, so middle class wages will take a dive & never recover? & any rational, conservative vote will no longer count?

Belle on June 17, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Hey, Americans are already seeing the benefits!

And they all work for the Government.

Steve Z on June 17, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Name ONE benefit of Obamacare? And then defend it, factually.

coldwarrior on June 17, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Have a tumor about size of a tennis ball on my jaw and still growing. Ruining my teeth, causing hearing loss on that side, pinching nerves, causing eyesight loss on same side, but removal is considered cosmetic because of my age so it is not covered as I am still able to function.

So therefore once this gets way out of hand and I drop off the rolls, my SS and all benefits will be available for the next applicant. You just have to look at the bigger picture, can’t just think about your self. After having paid into all these programs for 64 years, how dare I think of myself.

Soylent Green anyone?

N4646W on June 17, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Oh yeah. Great benefits of obamacare. Premiums up 200% bi-weekly, higher deductibles this year.

TfromV on June 17, 2013 at 3:10 PM

And they all work for the Government.

Steve Z on June 17, 2013 at 1:45 PM

“Work for” is a reach.

I’ll give you “are given money by” as an alternative.

BobMbx on June 17, 2013 at 3:24 PM

N4646W on June 17, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Tell your doctor your condition prohibits you from enjoying the benefits of free contraceptives.

BobMbx on June 17, 2013 at 3:26 PM

If rainbows & unicorns for everyone are benefits.

22044 on June 17, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Ooooh! I lo-o-o-ves unicorns!

They poop Skittles, you know.

Solaratov on June 17, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Name ONE benefit of Obamacare?

As I inquired, earlier today.

I Suppose, it depends on how one defines “benefit.”

Scammers Using So-called ‘Obamacare’ To Target Seniors

coldwarrior on June 17, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Old School Debtor’s prisons are next.

workingclass artist on June 17, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Ahem……

Solaratov on June 17, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Is this political? The argument that it is “social welfare” depends upon whether Obamacare is good for us or not. So it hinges on an interpretation. And if you allow OFA to be able to construe “social welfare” as what they honestly think benefits society, then each group gets to construe “social welfare” as they construe it.

But, it’s a different story with the Tea Party group: “show us where your interpretation of ‘social welfare’ fits our definition?”

I would say that promoting a certain view of legislation is every bit as “political” as endorsing candidates.

Axeman on June 17, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Name ONE benefit of Obamacare? And then defend it, factually.

coldwarrior on June 17, 2013 at 10:39 AM

It’s double-plus good. Emmanuel Goldstein doesn’t care if you have get sick and die!

Axeman on June 17, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Is this the old Play Now, Pay* Later routine? Announce all the benefits with great fanfare and then, later, all the costs start to creep in. Except that this time the costs may be creeping back in a whole lot faster than the proponents wanted.

* Maybe a whole lot more than you think.

Russ808 on June 17, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 17, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Maybe we’re already there and the children of the corn haven’t put the official announcement hasn’t appeared on Twitter yet.

workingclass artist on June 17, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Yeah, Central Americans.

lonestar1 on June 17, 2013 at 5:58 PM

The counter-commercial practically writes itself.

“If your health insurance just got worse, take heart. Everyone else’s got better.

Riiiight!”

Pythagoras on June 17, 2013 at 10:25 PM

This ad will give justification to the kool aide drinkers who were for it all along and give them a sense of feeling good about it because they are helping the less fortunate who can’t afford the high cost of health care.

Kissmygrits on June 18, 2013 at 9:10 AM