Save the cheese!

posted at 6:41 pm on June 14, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

We may have to bid adieu to yet another delicious French cheese, caught up in the FDA’s protect-you-from-yourself racket, which it turns out is about as unsatisfying and expensive as a traditional protection racket. Katherine Mangu-Ward reports on a small, Virginia cheese purveyor— and a good one, I can testify—who is pushing back on an FDA lockdown on mimolette:

The process for making mimolette sounds pretty gross. The rind of this French gouda competitor is aerated by tiny cheese mites, which burrow into the skin. When the cheese is ready for market, the mites are removed—mostly. It’s tough to get every single one of those little buggers off, which means the cheese poses a minute risk to customer who might be allergic to the mites.

The Food and Drug Administration’s solution: Total cheese lockdown:

Since March, several hundred pounds of the bright orange cheese have been held up by US customs because of a warning by the Food and Drug Administration that it contained microscopic cheese mites.

The mites are a critical part of the process to produce mimolette, giving it its distinctive grayish crust.

An FDA spokesperson, in true bureaucrat style, denies to Dairy Reporter there’s any ban on mimolette, but kinda sorta defends one if there were one, which he’s not saying there is. Mimolette, it turns out, may fall outside the FDA’s mite-per-square-inch limit, which I for one, am so glad it’s spending time establishing and policing:

According to the FDA’s Patricia El-Hinnawy, there’s no official limit, but the target is no more than six mites per square inch. For Mimolette, that’s a near impossible standard.

Benoit de Vitton is the North American representative for Isigny, one of the largest producers of Mimolette. In March, de Vitton began receiving letters from each of the dozen importers he works with, saying that their Mimolette shipments had been detained.

De Vitton estimates that he now has about a ton of cheese sitting in FDA warehouses in New Jersey. “They say the product, because of the mites, it is not proper for human consumption,” de Vitton sighs.

Ironically, de Vitton notes that Mimolette itself is rumored to have been created because of import issues in the 17th century. “The French were at war with Holland, and the king didn’t want any more Dutch Gouda coming to France. So he asked to create kind of the same cheese.”

But, hey, these bureaucrats are just here to keep you safe. And, that’s what they’re doing, right? Not really:

But in the 21st century, do we need a cheese ban? Microbiologist Rachel Dutton runs a cheese lab at Harvard University, and we checked in with her about the dangers of mites. Dutton notes that there have been some reports of mite allergies, but they seem to be restricted to people who have come into contact with large numbers of mites.

Jill Erber of Alexandria, Va.’s Cheestique is doing mimolette giveaways on her Facebook page for this suddenly hard-to-find fromage, and steals my heart with this line:

Adieu, Mimolette. It’s been nice knowing you. And thank you, FDA, for further limiting our ability to choose for ourselves.
Vive le fromage!

All you have to do is post a sad picture of yourself and your mimolette to her Facebook page, mourning your right to choose your cheese. Rock on, Cheese Lady, as she calls herself. The persecution of mimolette has spawned protests before, and I’m game for one here. At the very least, go out and sample some interesting cheese while you still can. The government will have you back on exclusively emulsified pablum before long!

French cheeses have long been a target of the FDA, and the ban on some of them inspired this pro gun-control meme during the last Congressional gun debate. It was meant to highlight the allegedly outrageous ease with which Americans can purchase firearms in contrast to their difficulties coming across Roquefort. To which I say, hey that is crazy. All those cheeses should totally be legal, too!

Comments

I guess no one has worked in a restaurant or fast food place.

six mites per square inch

What happens at 7? Someone’s head explode?

Why don’t they just put “made with mites” on the label and let the consumer decide?

kim roy on June 14, 2013 at 6:45 PM

First they came for the soda, but I don’t like soda. Then they came for the salt, and I don’t use salt. So now they come for the cheese…….

GarandFan on June 14, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I bet more Americans have died from Democrat wars of intervention than from mimolette cheese. So, let’s ban Democrats!

Liam on June 14, 2013 at 6:50 PM

It’s almost impossible not to break a rule/law/regulation in this country…yet the Director of the FBI does not know who is running the FBI investigation into the IRS persecuting American citizens for years. What a country!

d1carter on June 14, 2013 at 6:52 PM

MKH You’ve got to be kidding. Not that the FDA is protecting us from mites, but that you thought this was a subject worth posting on Hot Air. Just because the French and the Chinese will eat anything, alive or dead, that crawls in their back yours, doesn’t mean we care about it or will go to extreme lengths to eat it too. What a waste of time.

Old Country Boy on June 14, 2013 at 6:54 PM

There has to be more to the story than that. Like the fact they are called Patriot Mites or something. And if there is no moritorium is this a bunch of lone wolve customs inspectors?

Seriously, one of the two Cheesetique locations is within walking distance of the house (Awesome place with really good food on top of the cheese!) I guess I know where I’ll be headed during errands tommorrow. I gotta try this Mimolette now.

Happy Nomad on June 14, 2013 at 6:54 PM

kim roy on June 14, 2013 at 6:45 PM

But these are outsourced mites working in French sweat shops and not hard-working unionized American mites.

Happy Nomad on June 14, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Of course, moldy, bacteria-laden cheese will still be allowed.

What a country!

d1carter on June 14, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Del Dolemonte on June 14, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Can we afford not to eat bugs?

Fenris on June 14, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Cain’t have no cheese lines if you don’t got no gummint cheese….

Save the mighty mites!

viking01 on June 14, 2013 at 6:57 PM

They should change the name to Plan B Cheese. I’m sure the FDA wouldn’t have any problem it, then.

Curtiss on June 14, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Mmmm…mmmm….mmmm that distinctive tasty, grayish “mite crust.”

Insist on mite crust. Accept no mite-deprived cheesy substitutes.

viking01 on June 14, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Goodness. If you’re allergic to garlic, don’t eat it. If you’re allergic to mites, don’t eat them.

Is it really that hard?

Old Country Boy on June 14, 2013 at 6:54 PM

GFY. If you don’t like the subject of a post. Don’t read it.

BacaDog on June 14, 2013 at 7:00 PM

And yet, hot dogs are legal. And potted meat.

Curtiss on June 14, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Meanwhile The Regime’s plans for Soylent Green move ever onward Forward.

viking01 on June 14, 2013 at 7:02 PM

And yet, hot dogs are legal. And potted meat.

Curtiss on June 14, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Oooooh-weeee! and souse! Don’t forget the souse!

viking01 on June 14, 2013 at 7:03 PM

So, if a cheese might have a mite that you might be allergic too, you might want to avoid that cheese, not ban it for those who might like it.

Count to 10 on June 14, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Hmmm… Ham talking about cheese. Heh.

Moose Drool on June 14, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Old Country Boy on June 14, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Dude?

Count to 10 on June 14, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Oooooh-weeee! and souse! Don’t forget the souse!

viking01 on June 14, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Where I come from, it’s called hogs head cheese. The name says all you need to know about it. My grandmother used to make it. It’s very tasty.

Curtiss on June 14, 2013 at 7:06 PM

‘Government cheese’ is the only one that is in a ‘protected class.’

Resist We Much on June 14, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Old Country Boy on June 14, 2013 at 6:54 PM

You just don’t think before you write do you…
Such is the bigot you are OCB…

Down Twinkles for you…

Scrumpy on June 14, 2013 at 7:14 PM

They’ll have to pry it out of my cold dead hands….

portlandon on June 14, 2013 at 7:14 PM

As a migraineur for whom peanuts are the main trigger, guess what? I learn to AVOID peanuts, or other things to which I may be allergic. What a concept!

Sekhmet on June 14, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Curtiss on June 14, 2013 at 7:06 PM

I remember seeing a package of souse at a grocery store with the entire pig snout (looking like a European power outlet) extending from the front of the package to the back of the package. I nearly bought it to preserve it, embalmed and encased in Lucite, to freak people out.

viking01 on June 14, 2013 at 7:16 PM

viking01 on June 14, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Curtiss on June 14, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Ahhhhhhhhhhh I just LUV that stuff, I don’t care what ya call it!

Let me have it!!

Oh and Blood Sausage/pudding, ummmmmm Yummy!!!

Such culinary delights abound.

Restrict Nothing!!

Vive Le Fromage!

Scrumpy on June 14, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Wasn’t it Mark Steyn who called Americans “cheese-surrendering eating monkeys”?

TMA on June 14, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Soooo,

… you’re saying its probably a bad thing if I cut the cheese and there’s mites in it?

M240H on June 14, 2013 at 7:18 PM

♫♪ Oooh, that smell,
can’t you smell that smell?
The smell of the cheese around you.. ♪♫

(apologies to Lynyrd Skynyrd)

viking01 on June 14, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Old Country Boy on June 14, 2013 at 6:54 PM

You got something against Ham and cheese?

Ronnie on June 14, 2013 at 7:20 PM

GarandFan on June 14, 2013 at 6:45 PM

When they come for the bacon, that will be crossing the red line.

Bigfoot on June 14, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Old Country Boy on June 14, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Funny. I learned a long time ago that, if I wasn’t interested in a news article, I didn’t have to read it. I could, in fact, skip it altogether; and move on to something in which I had an interest.

I thought everybody knew how to do that.

Solaratov on June 14, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Happy Nomad on June 14, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Maybe they should be offered a path to citizenship.

kim roy on June 14, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Scrumpy on June 14, 2013 at 7:14 PM

5′ll get you 10, it’s an auto-correct problem.

Cleombrotus on June 14, 2013 at 7:22 PM

God help the regulators if they try to limit my access to Roquefort!

Jill1066 on June 14, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Cleombrotus on June 14, 2013 at 7:22 PM

I am becoming very intolerant of folk who just say somthing to be annoying and trite and just plain stupid… (:

Mostly I ignore ‘em…

Vive Le Fromage!!

Scrumpy on June 14, 2013 at 7:27 PM

After giving this some thought, I’ve come to the conclusion that the FDA really doesn’t know what cheese is.

Curtiss on June 14, 2013 at 7:28 PM

For those who need to know ;)

Scrumpy on June 14, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Vive Le Fromage!!

Scrumpy on June 14, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Turophiles unite!

viking01 on June 14, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Scrumpy on June 14, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Sorry, Ms. Scrumpy. Should have been addressed to Count to 10 @ 7:04. That’s what happens when you’ve been spraying lacquer all day.

Cleombrotus on June 14, 2013 at 7:34 PM

If I Cut The Cheese near the cheese before I eat the cheese might that de-mite it? Or at least make the mites scurry away for a while? I mean how mighty might these miniscule mites be mates?

GreenBlade on June 14, 2013 at 7:36 PM

BacaDog on June 14, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Was that really worth a GFY? By that do you mean “Good French Yoghurt?” If not, language like that is not used in the best of families.

Old Country Boy on June 14, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Thank Goodness that we’re not talking about “Government Cheese”…

Khun Joe on June 14, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Old Country Boy on June 14, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Yes, it was.

No, I didn’t.

Sometimes you have to be forceful and unambiguous with children in the family.

BacaDog on June 14, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Thank Goodness that we’re not talking about “Government Cheese”…

Khun Joe on June 14, 2013 at 7:42 PM

For government cheese the parasites are usually on the outside.

viking01 on June 14, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Sounds like these French mites are just undocumented immigrants looking to eat cheese American mites won’t

halfbaked on June 14, 2013 at 7:52 PM

I don’t like moldy cheese nor would I want to partake of bug-infested cheese. But if someone else wants to eat the stuff, have at, IMO. It’s your stomach.

I used to work at a fish restaurant years ago. It was a chain, and was not a fast food place, but not exactly top notch, either; sort of a Long John Silver’s with a little more class. The fish (which mostly came from Iceland–it was cod) had to be cut up into filets to be breaded and deep-fried. It was very tasty once it was all done and golden crispy. However, we soon learned that the fish came with hitchhikers–little wormy parasites would burrow into the fish. We would slice and remove as much as possible (and trust me, there wasn’t a lot, seemed like there was more at certain times of the year than others) but we couldn’t always get it all. Some customers, if they discovered the extra protein, pitched a fit. Others just smiled and asked for more. The health department, which made regular checkups on the restaurant, didn’t seem to have any problems with it. Everyone acted like it was normal. So I took it to be that way, and have happily scarfed down the fish since. Never suffered any ill-effects.

theotherone on June 14, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Next they’ll be worried about mold in cheese… because you know mold is bad for you… and no cheese ever has any mold left over in it… oh, wait…

First they came for the raw milk, and since you didn’t drink raw milk you didn’t protest.

Next they came for the cheese with a few mites and since you didn’t eat any cheese with mites you didn’t protest.

Then they came for your bread, and you were toast.

ajacksonian on June 14, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Don’t tell the FDA about Roquefort. I need me some good Bleu every now and then.

Hill60 on June 14, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Then they came for your bread, and you were toast.

ajacksonian on June 14, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Comment of the Day™

Steve Eggleston on June 14, 2013 at 8:06 PM

BacaDog on June 14, 2013 at 7:48 PM

I’m not in your family. I am not a child. If you are representing your family, I assume are a good representative; so, obviously you don’t come from the best of families.

Old Country Boy on June 14, 2013 at 8:09 PM

BacaDog on June 14, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Have you noticed that the rest of the posters don’t take this thread as seriously as you seem to.

Old Country Boy on June 14, 2013 at 8:11 PM

… at least the bugs in the cheese weren’t put there by IRS & NSA. Yet.

viking01 on June 14, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Ok, that raises the question, who in their right mind, when instructed by the king to come up with a cheese that tasted like Gouda thought, “You know what, I bet if we let mites crawl through the curds, that would do the trick!”

/Talk about out of the box thinking

AZfederalist on June 14, 2013 at 8:17 PM

What a waste of time.

Old Country Boy on June 14, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Old Country Boy on June 14, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Old Country Boy on June 14, 2013 at 8:09 PM

You’re still here?

Ronnie on June 14, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Some mite-y fine comments – but I think there are more than 6 per square inch (why not cubic inch?)

GarandFan on June 14, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Then they came for your bread, and you were toast.

ajacksonian on June 14, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Happy Nomad on June 14, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Maybe they should be offered a path to citizenship.

kim roy on June 14, 2013 at 7:21 PM

halfbaked on June 14, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Is it really that hard?
BacaDog on June 14, 2013 at 7:00 PM

They’ll have to pry it out of my cold dead hands….

portlandon on June 14, 2013 at 7:14 PM

For government cheese the parasites are usually on the outside.

viking01 on June 14, 2013 at 7:50 PM

d1carter on June 14, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Curtiss on June 14, 2013 at 7:28 PM

But it’s not cheese cheese.
And besides, at this point, what difference does it make?

AesopFan on June 14, 2013 at 8:23 PM

/Talk about out of the box thinking

AZfederalist on June 14, 2013 at 8:17 PM

My sister had a cat like that.

viking01 on June 14, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Cleombrotus on June 14, 2013 at 7:34 PM

No Problem Cleombrotus!! :)

Scrumpy on June 14, 2013 at 8:25 PM

But it’s not cheese cheese.
And besides, at this point, what difference does it make?

AesopFan on June 14, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Just you wait… soon it will be Velveeta they will come after because it is closer to being a plastic than a foodstuff… then Redi-Whip… then Cheeze Whiz… because these aren’t food food, you know?

ajacksonian on June 14, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Process Cheese Food is the stuff they feed to cheese.

viking01 on June 14, 2013 at 8:36 PM

At least she didn’t title the thread “Cut the cheese!”

Moose Drool on June 14, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Headline

FDA Cuts the Cheese

HHW on June 14, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Curtiss on June 14, 2013 at 7:28 PM

After giving it next to no thought, I long ago concluded that the FDA, like the rest of the Federal bureaucracy, would need a log line, an inertial compass, six GPS fixes, and the assistance of three USCG-certified navigators, to find its collective a$$ with both hands.

In broad daylight. At night, they’d be completely screwed.

cheers

eon

eon on June 14, 2013 at 9:08 PM

We need an amendment to the constitution for natural foods.

pat on June 14, 2013 at 9:29 PM

no more than six mites per square inch.

Flatlanders.

unclesmrgol on June 14, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Oohh snap! Just picked up a balut at the local Asian market today and now I find that I can no longer purchase mite ridden cheese to go with it. That really bums me out..I guess I’ll just have to pick up a durian to fill in.

Oldnuke on June 14, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Let’s not forget that over in Europe they age cheese deep underground in caves.

Talk about a bacterial environment (including possible bat guano and rodent dropping germs in the air?) but hey, let the Peasants eat Cheese Food Product Cake.

Del Dolemonte on June 14, 2013 at 11:05 PM

But in the 21st century, do we need a cheese ban? Microbiologist Rachel Dutton runs a at Harvard University, and we checked in with her about the dangers of mites. Dutton notes that there have been some reports of mite allergies, but they seem to be restricted to people who have come into contact with large numbers of mites.
The soft white rind protects and keeps the inside of the cheese clean.

And Dutton says that while we may not like to think about bugs, they’re a part of what makes cheese so delicious.

“Cheese is absolutely alive,” Dutton laughs. And all of that life — the molds, bacteria, yeasts and mites — help make cheese what it is. Dutton says that the mites on Mimolette can contribute flavors of their own (they have a somewhat earthy smell), and by eating into the rind, they can also increase aeration — and the surface area in which the other microbes can do their work.

Deena Prichep, NPR.org

How many years (centuries) has man been eating this cheese?

How many epidemics have ever been traced to any kind of cheese?

I’d say the mites are just ‘extra-added protein’.
BTW, hey MKH ! ….. is this particular cheese an appetite fetish related to pregnancy?

listens2glenn on June 15, 2013 at 12:20 AM

AesopFan on June 14, 2013 at 8:23 PM

A lot of work went into that comment, and well done. : )

listens2glenn on June 15, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Whatever happened to that Government Cheese they used to hand out back in the 80′s?

Wallythedog on June 15, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Does it matter if the mites are alive or dead?

If you need to kill them, just put the cheese in a vacuum chamber for a while. That’ll kill the mites and it shouldn’t affect the cheese in any way.

Do I have to think of everything?

trigon on June 15, 2013 at 1:18 AM

I work in a manufaturing plant that makes food items.

Let me tell you….

If you saw what was put into it and how it was made… you would never eat any processed stuff ever again.

Pests such as bugs are a common place …specailly in food. You can do as much as you possible can to stop em getting in… but even that is an impossible task.

watertown on June 15, 2013 at 3:43 AM

If the little buggers are in the rind, don’t eat the rind. Down with the FDA!

Kissmygrits on June 15, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Sekhmet on June 14, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Shhh! Don’t mention peanut allergies, or the FDA may ban peanut butter next!

The FDA: Treating the entire country like a public school cafeteria since 1906.

JSchuler on June 15, 2013 at 8:31 AM

ajacksonian on June 14, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I believe that mold requires a hazmat suit and a “special” place to dispose, costing tons of money. /

Cindy Munford on June 15, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Next thing you know the FDA will ban crunchy frogs.

OccamsRazor on June 15, 2013 at 11:06 AM

The gubmint has banned my fragrance free hand soap, my margarine, my dish detergent. My new kitchen appliances suck because of EPA requirements.

This is the damage the huge budget increases from Obama to the agencies has wreaked. They control everything.

PattyJ on June 15, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Why all this FDA examination of cheese while we are bombarded every day with TV commercials selling “pro-biotics“…which is a euphemism for products whose main ingredient is BACTERIA!!

landlines on June 15, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Let us keep in mind that allergies probably exist in someone for every single substance known to man Does anyone remember the girl who is allergice to water?

I’ll bet a whole lot more people are allergic to shellfish, nuts, strawberries, etc… than mites simply due to the fact that we are exposed to them more. I think a good food allergist should set the FDA straight. Allergies will never be eradicated. If we banned every allergenic ingredient, we would all starve, apparently for our own collective good.

guera on June 15, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Just fumigate your Mimolette in a zip lock baggy with Raid overnight.
The FDA will approve this process, and you and all your loved ones will live happily ever after.

And when will the EPA come down on emissions from bathrooms? They are HORRIBLE! And maybe deadly.

Cybergeezer on June 15, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Cheese in a can is where it’s at!
Not.

kregg on June 15, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Wow, you checked in with an authority, Mary, really?
Cheese, you should get a job help protect America instead of just backseat bitching?

Observation on June 15, 2013 at 7:38 PM

I was sitting outside of a small city waterpark last summer eating some delicious subway sandwiches, when this lady walks up towing her 2 children behind her. She looks at me and very snottily asks if our food contains peanuts because her child is allergic to peanuts, i replied “I’m not sure, does your food have sugar? Because my son is diabetic.” She walked away muttering under her breath. :-)

American Patriot1980 on June 15, 2013 at 8:41 PM

I have a piece of Boule d’Or Mimolette in my fridge right now. I eat the rind, but it can just as easily be cut off. The texture is wonderful – it’s a low-moisture cheddar-like cheese with a nutty flavor.

I’ll paraphrase Julia Child: “Don’t be afraid of your food.”

This sure isn’t the America I grew up in. Modern America seems to be unrelieved lecturing, designed with the lowest common denominator in mind.

disa on June 16, 2013 at 8:47 AM