Mueller: I don’t know who the lead investigator is on the IRS probe

posted at 12:41 pm on June 14, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

The Obama administration insisted that the political targeting of its opposition by the IRS was a high investigative priority.  Attorney General Eric Holder pledged that the FBI would immediately launch a probe into this high-profile scandal. And yet, as Rep. Jim Jordan discovered during FBI Director Robert Mueller’s testimony yesterday, the top man at the bureau doesn’t know who’s leading the investigation, doesn’t know how many investigators are assigned to it, and whether they’ve bothered to start off by, y’know, talking to the victims of the targeting.

Otherwise, man, the Department of Justice is all over this:

Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH) didn’t hide his surprise during a House Judiciary Committee hearing on Thursday in which FBI Director Robert Mueller told the lawmaker he wasn’t aware of the details surrounding the FBI’s probe of the IRS.

In a heated exchange, Jordan blasted Mueller for not being able to give names of investigators heading the investigation.

“This is the most important case in the country for the past six weeks and you don’t know who the most important person is, leading the case?” Jordan asked.

“Not off the top of my head,” Mueller replied.

Mueller testified that he didn’t “know what the status of the interviews are[.]”  The Daily Caller brings the outgoing FBI Director up to date — they’re not happening:

“We have not been contacted by any federal investigative agency and, to date, none of our clients have been contacted or interviewed by the FBI,” Jay Sekulow of the American Center for Law and Justice told The Daily Caller on Thursday. The ACLJ has filed suit against the IRS on behalf of 25 conservative groups, with additional groups being added in the next couple weeks, according to a spokesman.

“I have been very surprised that I have not heard from anybody and frankly, none of my clients have. I talk to other tea party leaders on a regular basis,” said Cleta Mitchell, the lawyer largely credited with pushing the IRS abuses to the forefront.

“It’s been a month and I can’t see any evidence of an investigation of the IRS,” Mitchell told TheDC Thursday. She represents nine tea party groups targeted by the IRS.

Tea Party Patriots — a group with thousands of local chapters — “has not been contacted by the FBI” either, according to Jameson Cunningham, the group’s spokesman.

It’s not as if Jordan asked this question out of the blue.  This was a House Judiciary Committee hearing, one of three House committees (Oversight and Ways and Means being the others) actively probing the IRS scandal. Mueller had to know that questions on the investigation were likely to arise.  Yet apparently the investigation is such a low priority for the administration that Mueller hasn’t bothered to familiarize himself with the action within his own department.

The executive branch doesn’t seem very eager to get answers on this scandal, does it?  I wonder why.

Comments

What a clueless dolt.

Everyone knows it’s Booosh!

Bruno Strozek on June 14, 2013 at 12:43 PM

“Top men.” “Who?” “Top . . . men.”

FiveG on June 14, 2013 at 12:46 PM

“I don’t know”
“I can’t recall”
“I will have to check my docs”
“I will have to defer that to”
“It was not within my scope”
“You Tube”
———————————-
CAN WE JUST FILE A CHARGE ON SOMEONE PLEASE AND SEE SOME WRIST BRACELETS? friggin’ agonizing…

hillsoftx on June 14, 2013 at 12:47 PM

They need a special prosecutor.

Outlander on June 14, 2013 at 12:47 PM

The only way an Admin can go Full Stupid, is when the populous is ok with Full Stupid.

Amazing how anything that trends or polls well – is directly due to the AA President and his laser focus. Everything else is a whole lotta “I don’t know, I didn’t read it, I didn’t see the memo, I didn’t write it, I didn’t authorize it…”

Odie1941 on June 14, 2013 at 12:47 PM

When oh when do we march on Washington? July 4th would be so symbolic don’t you think? How much more of this BS are we going to put up with before we say “Enough is enough”?

I’m quickly reaching the point where I will begin looking to join up with someone, anyone who is willing to do what must be done.

These criminal acts against America by the most corrupt and evil administration in history must be stopped at all costs before it’s too late.

FU NSA

HotAirian on June 14, 2013 at 12:48 PM

“Who’s in charge here?”

portlandon on June 14, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Cut out the middle man and just check with the NSA.

can_con on June 14, 2013 at 12:49 PM

The Fairy ¥£€%#£}! Godmother?

catmman on June 14, 2013 at 12:49 PM

They’ll get some results after, oh, 2, 3 years. Three and a half years, tops.

Paul-Cincy on June 14, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Who got to Mueller? That looks like a nice retirement for a nice career…shame if anything happened to it.

d1carter on June 14, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I would have expected the FBI director to hand pick the lead investigator, who then hand picks his team with the director having that precious ‘oversight’ we keep hearing so much about.

Liam on June 14, 2013 at 12:50 PM

In full Sgt Schultz mode. What an embarrassment.

meci on June 14, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Wait, people in charge of organizations are now expected to know what’s going on in those organizations?

rbj on June 14, 2013 at 12:51 PM

For some reason, Petraeus comes to mind..

d1carter on June 14, 2013 at 12:51 PM

The Fairy ¥£€%#£}! Godmother?

catmman on June 14, 2013 at 12:49 PM

HAAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHHAHAHAH!!

AND WE HAVE A WINNAH!!!

ToddPA on June 14, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Oh, great! Our country is being run by the terminally stupid. It’s time to change this mess.

BetseyRoss on June 14, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Total IMBICILES the bloody lot of them…

I can’t take any more of this bullshite!!

It is high time we took a stand, I agree HotAirian…time to march, and I’ll get there by hook or by crook…

Scrumpy on June 14, 2013 at 12:53 PM

This is a very low priority to the elites. In fact, they see nothing wrong in targeting enemies of the state and don’t want to investigate.

Bet he knows about the smallest little hate crime though.

jukin3 on June 14, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I watched some of his testimony…was the Benghazi investigation discussed..?

d1carter on June 14, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Mueller? ….. Mueller? ……. Mueller?……

Somebody had to do it.

can_con on June 14, 2013 at 12:54 PM

No wonder Chief Inspector Dreyfus went crazy, dealing with so many Clouseau’s must be maddening.

Flange on June 14, 2013 at 12:54 PM

In full Sgt Schultz mode. What an embarrassment.

meci on June 14, 2013 at 12:51 PM

It’s not an embarrassment. It’s criminal neglect of duty. It’s conspiracy to harm innocent Americans in the name of political ideology. It’s a whole hell of a lot of things but embarrassment doesn’t even make the list.

HotAirian on June 14, 2013 at 12:54 PM

rbj on June 14, 2013 at 12:51 PM

The FBI … it’s so big. Give them a break.

/Axelrod

Paul-Cincy on June 14, 2013 at 12:55 PM

This is what is called…
Oversight…

I see nutin’..
I hear nutin’
I speak nutin’…

Electrongod on June 14, 2013 at 12:55 PM

O_o

This dude is under orders from the top: Don’t really do anything about this.

Time to put all these aholes under oath, read them the punishment for perjury, and then start asking pointed questions.

Bishop on June 14, 2013 at 12:56 PM

don’t look here, just focus on syria instead
-wh talking points

cmsinaz on June 14, 2013 at 12:57 PM

can_con on June 14, 2013 at 12:54 PM

heh nice

cmsinaz on June 14, 2013 at 12:58 PM

This is obvious stonewalling. The Judiciary Committee can’t allow appointees and bureaucrats to get away with kind of evasion. At the very least, Mueller should have been given 24 hours to find answers, and then report back at another hearing the next day.

petefrt on June 14, 2013 at 12:58 PM

“Ms. Sebellius, the report that thousands of elderly patients have gone missing from their care facilities, is that being investigated?”

“Hell, I don’t know, whatever.”

Yeah, let’s put these f**kwits in charge of our healthcare.

Our own government has gone to war with us.

Bishop on June 14, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Jason Chaffetz said they had to submit the questions in advance. Mueller had nothing for Chaffetz’s questions. Something is up…who’s the new FBI Director again?

d1carter on June 14, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Because there are NO investigations.

Schadenfreude on June 14, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Much will be huffed about. Much will be puffed about but nothing will be done.

Welcome to a fundamentally changed America.

jukin3 on June 14, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I imagine other countries are enjoying a hearty bellylaugh while watching the heads of all our federal agencies demonstrate total ignorance on the workings of the group they oversee. Embarrassing!

a capella on June 14, 2013 at 1:00 PM

This is what is called…
Oversight…

I see nutin’..
I hear nutin’
I speak nutin’…

Electrongod on June 14, 2013 at 12:55 PM

I think you’ve confused “overlooking” with “oversight.” An easy mistake in the “at this point does it matter” administration. May was a long time ago.

Happy Nomad on June 14, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Mueller is both:

1. Threatened by Obama

2. Paid off with great pension.

Schadenfreude on June 14, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Out – Invoking the fifth.

In – I don’t know sh!t.

antipc on June 14, 2013 at 1:04 PM

HotAirian on June 14, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I say the GOP should “shut ‘er down” not one business item until the adminstration starts showing up at these hearings with real answers. Specifically threaten to defund entire agencies and departments if need be. Not one confirmation out of the Senate until there is some cooperation (put a hold on them all). Congress a co-equal branch of government has oversight authority. When the administration officials show up with such an unserious attitude to legitmate questions then it is time to play hardball.

Happy Nomad on June 14, 2013 at 1:06 PM

How long till Obummer outlaws Congress?

birdwatcher on June 14, 2013 at 1:06 PM

time for a special prosecutor…congress is unable to do their job because of the stonewalling….i would hope a special prosecutor would be able to get information better…

cmsinaz on June 14, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I would start at the bottom and work my way up, under oath I would offer ammunity or jail. See who sings.

newportmike on June 14, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I would be willing to bet a substantial sum that there is IS NO INVESTIGATION of the IRS by the FBI at this point in time! Therefore, Mr Mueller cannot give the name of the lead investigator as he/she has yet to be assigned.

Boats48 on June 14, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Happy Nomad on June 14, 2013 at 1:06 PM

THIS

me likey

cmsinaz on June 14, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Holly Paz a director at the IRS has been fired. Anyone believe she will not be well compensated the rest of her life?

birdwatcher on June 14, 2013 at 1:10 PM

In essence, all these things boil down to the same question this admin keeps asking us every time they play stupid and ignorant…

That question is “What are you going to do about it”?

Happy Nomad on June 14, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Your answer would take guts and have to be backed by politicians who have a love of this country instead of a love of their power…do we have anyone like that there left?

Alinsky on June 14, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Nice brain fart, dude. Everybody knows the appropriate response is: “Top.Men.” Get with the program, already.

Christien on June 14, 2013 at 1:14 PM

At this point the stonewalling is so pervasive and shameless that it becomes obvious that The IRS, FBI, CIA, Justice Department etc. don’t take the questions from Congress seriously whatsoever. They just smirk and repeat the phrase “I don’t know” while they actually *do know* that nothing whatever will come of the questioning regardless. So why bother answering as if the questions were in any way serious? It’s so very obviously not serious.

Congress is one hundred percent powerless against the federal bureaucracy. The next thing that I fully expect to happen is the “investigation” of the congressmen and women themselves by the various alphabet soup agencies where they perp walk various congressfolks for having the temerity to publicly ask about scandals. “Hang a few on the cross, and the rest will fall into line” as it were.

Just watch. That’s the next chapter in this program.

PoliTech on June 14, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Out – Invoking the fifth.

In – I don’t know sh!t.

antipc on June 14, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Perfect!

katy the mean old lady on June 14, 2013 at 1:15 PM

The Know-Nothing Party is running the country.

While nobody knows nuthin’ before Congress, out by the 13th green, Obama is having a furious strategery session with his brain: “Valerie, what should I do now?”

“Shhhh, Pubs might be listening. Let’s meet in the water hazard!”

Steve Z on June 14, 2013 at 1:15 PM

can_con on June 14, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Nice. *golf clap*

Christien on June 14, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Out – Invoking the fifth.

In – I don’t know sh!t. Revoking the First.
antipc on June 14, 2013 at 1:04 PM

See Rosen, James and Attkisson, Sharyl. FIFY.

Steve Z on June 14, 2013 at 1:18 PM

“Who’s in charge here?”

portlandon on June 14, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Alexander Haig

docflash on June 14, 2013 at 1:19 PM

going the way of fast and furious isn’t it…

which means absolutely nothing will come of it and it’ll be swept under the rug…

cmsinaz on June 14, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Don’t miss this. It’s all related to how Mueller lied, incl. on 9/11/01. Watch to the end.

Schadenfreude on June 14, 2013 at 1:19 PM

The country’s in the very best of hands.

apostic on June 14, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Out – Invoking the fifth.

In – I don’t know sh!t. Revoking the First and Fourth
antipc on June 14, 2013 at 1:04 PM

See Rosen, James and Attkisson, Sharyl. FIFY.

Steve Z on June 14, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Refixed.

antipc on June 14, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Mueller: I don’t know who the lead investigator is on the IRS probe

Translation: I’ve been ordered to not investigate.

James on June 14, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Mr. Hand: “I like that. ‘I Don’t Know.’ That’s nice. ‘Mr. Hand, will I pass this class?’ Gee, Mr. Mueller, I don’t know! You know what I’m going to do? I’m going to leave your words right up here for all my classes to enjoy, giving you full credit of course, Mr. Mueller.”

Mueller: “All right!”

Christien on June 14, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Blackmailed, bought off or braindead. The three B’s.

Because there are NO investigations.

Schadenfreude on June 14, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Right. We need to see some people in jail. This is getting ridiculous.

dogsoldier on June 14, 2013 at 1:30 PM

the top man at the bureau doesn’t know who’s leading the investigation, doesn’t know how many investigators are assigned to it, and whether they’ve bothered to start…

There’s nothing to know. No one is leading anything. There’s nothing to lead.

The clueless dolts are the GOP who actually believe otherwise.

rrpjr on June 14, 2013 at 1:33 PM

How long till Obummer outlaws Congress?

birdwatcher on June 14, 2013 at 1:06 PM

“The emperor has done away with the Imperial Senate, sweeping away the last vestiges of the antiquated Republic …” … Or words to that effect

/Dang it! Those things are supposed to be entertainment and we are supposed to be cheering for the freedom loving good guys! They aren’t supposed to be totalitarian “how-to” manuals!

AZfederalist on June 14, 2013 at 1:36 PM

I can imagine what happened in Meullers (or insert any Obama administration head’s name here instead.

Meuller: Ok guys, I just got a demand for me to testify in two weeks in front of congress in two weeks. So, I am turning off my computer and you are not allowed to talk to me until after the hearing. That way I can say I don’t know/remember anything.”

I mean really. Who prepped this guy to testify?

barnone on June 14, 2013 at 1:39 PM

“Who’s in charge here?”

portlandon on June 14, 2013 at 12:48 PM

“Ain’t Yoo?”

Tenwheeler on June 14, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Errr… well, I don’t want to unduly influence the investigation – so I’m remaining out of the loop. Like the president, I’ll know the name of the lead investigator, when it’s announced in the news.

Hill60 on June 14, 2013 at 1:42 PM

What investigation?

The Rogue Tomato on June 14, 2013 at 1:45 PM

PoliTech on June 14, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Their answers sound as though they are being scripted by the Alinsky strategists at the Center for American Progress.

petefrt on June 14, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Also, exactly who is supposed to interview the people that were visited (intimidated) by the FBI in conjunction with the IRS 501 (C)(3) applications?

Most FBI offices have 10 or fewer agents in them, except the major cities. And it was the Area Special Agent In Charge (ASAC) that assigned an agent to visit (intimidate) those people in the first place.

So someone at the directors office calls the same ASAC and tells them to send someone (the same agents) to the same Tea Party persons house to ask them if they harassed them the last time they harassed them?

I wonder how much misconduct they will find?

barnone on June 14, 2013 at 1:46 PM

They are investigating it just as tirelessly as Benghazi- and Fast & Furious. The answers will be out any day now!

michaelo on June 14, 2013 at 1:47 PM

That is just his way of saying there is no investigation in the “least untruthful” manner.

pat on June 14, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Every day that goes by, Congress shows how ineffective and impotent it is. The parade of admin reps basically saying nothing goes on and on, and there’s no impeachments, no prosecutions, no penalties, no jailtime.

And Obama just laughs…

Marcola on June 14, 2013 at 1:52 PM

“Bueller, Bueller”..Mueller..?

pat on June 14, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Maybe we shouldn’t blame dimwit mueller for his ignorance – after all, the IRS “investigation” (aka, “cover-up”, aka “stonewalling”) is being handled out of OBOZO’s OFA endless-campaign group in chicago (which has IRS TAX EXEMPT STATUS, of course), and mueller is stuck in DC.

TeaPartyNation on June 14, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Lying is an accepted problem solving technique among these idiots.

Lost in Jersey on June 14, 2013 at 2:07 PM

FU NSA

HotAirian on June 14, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Ditto…head.

HiJack on June 14, 2013 at 2:19 PM

THE UNITED STATES TOP INVESTIGATOR…… “I don’t know who my lead investigator is. I’ll have to investigate that and get back to ya”

wow that some head of a department that INVESTIGATES stuff…. huh….da jokes write themselves.

roflmmfao

donabernathy on June 14, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Utter contempt.

John the Libertarian on June 14, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Hummmmmm…. I wonder if Billy Clinton figured out what the emaning of is…is ? YET… maybe this mental giant could help him out.

roflmmfao

donabernathy on June 14, 2013 at 2:26 PM

HotAirian on June 14, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Scrumpy on June 14, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Here ya go!

Tea Party Patriots
AUDIT THE IRS RALLY
Wednesday, June 19, 2013 from Noon – 2pm
West Lawn of the US Capitol

IrishEi on June 14, 2013 at 2:28 PM

He doesn’t know because there won’t be an investigation.

BetseyRoss on June 14, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Boy do i feel safe from a terrorist attack today.

Sure hope dem GubRmint goons are reading this comment.

roflmmfao

donabernathy on June 14, 2013 at 2:30 PM

it’s like watch’n a road runner cartoon. The ACME safe should landing on his head in 3…2….

roflmmfao

donabernathy on June 14, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Sounds more like arrogance than stupidity to me. Like he’s thumbing his nose at Congress, telling them they might be able to force the appearance of an investigation, but they can’t make him do an actual investigation, you know, one where they actually investigate, as opposed to just telling people they are investigating.

mbs on June 14, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Should have then asked who is responsible for assigning the lead investigator and kept going ’til he can think up a name.

Once you get that name, send the Sergeant at Arms out to find that person, and make Mueller sit in that chair ’til he arrives.

questionmark on June 14, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Ouch!!!

Mueller must be wishing that he was Great Big Wishing Stone that grants wishes when you rub it.

Muttering: “I wish that this would just go away!… I wish that this would just go away!”.

Well, a Great Big Wishing Stone is NOT going to help this time around. Too many people are pissed off at this Camp Run Amuck, corrupted and completely political government!

Which is kind of cool. Since the majority Republicans in the House will TELL you when this will be over. Though, I doubt it will ever go away!

Jack Deth on June 14, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I wish someone would issue a follow-up question to these kinds of answers along the lines of, “Mr. XXX, what the F do you actually do in your job?”

gregbert on June 14, 2013 at 2:42 PM

I wish Sarah Palin would run for the Republican nomination on this platform:

“By the end of the first week of my term, there will be not a single incumbent remaining in charge of a federal agency, and every one of them will be coded as ‘Do Not Hire’ in the General Services database. Every single one – take it to the bank. The next month will be devoted to firing every civil servant who has donated move than X dollars to either party, on the grounds that they have forgotten who the are supposed to be supporting. Elect me, and Heads. WILL. Roll.

drunyan8315 on June 14, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Mueller: I don’t know who the lead investigator is on the IRS probe….or my A$*$ from a hole in the ground.
Lying scum

III

dirtengineer on June 14, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I don’t know if Mueller is a lifetime law enforcement guy, but if so, I bet it doesn’t sit well with him to go up and lie and be humiliated like that. He may be really ticked at the admin for putting him in that position.

mikeyboss on June 14, 2013 at 3:20 PM

In England they say “It’s 10 o’clock. Do you know where your wife is?”
In France they say “It’s ten o’clock. Do you know where your husband is?”
At the FBI they say “it’s ten o’clock. Do you know what time it is?”

MaiDee on June 14, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Happy Nomad on June 14, 2013 at 1:06 PM

THIS

me likey

cmsinaz on June 14, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Second. Discussion?

cornbred on June 14, 2013 at 4:20 PM

One good thing, all those NSA files will make short work of finding the guilty parties at the IRS and the Executive branch of the government.

RJL on June 14, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I say the GOP should “shut ‘er down” not one business item until the administration starts showing up at these hearings with real answers. Specifically threaten to defund entire agencies and departments if need be. Not one confirmation out of the Senate until there is some cooperation (put a hold on them all). Congress a co-equal branch of government has oversight authority. When the administration officials show up with such an unserious attitude to legitimate questions then it is time to play hardball.

Happy Nomad on June 14, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Second the motion.
(Mueller hasn’t been the only one to be unprepared for previously submitted questions.)

“Who’s in charge here?”