Snowden tells Chinese paper: Yes, the U.S. is hacking Chinese and Hong Kong computers

posted at 6:41 pm on June 12, 2013 by Allahpundit

Via CNN, a perfect illustration of why even pols with deep libertarian sympathies insist on reserving judgment about this guy. The most amazing thing about it is how gratuitously self-destructive it is to Snowden’s credibility. No one doubts that the U.S. is cyberspying on China; if the feds are capable of putting something like PRISM together, they’re capable of exploiting Chinese security vulnerabilities. Confirming for a Chinese paper that we’re doing what everyone knows we’re doing doesn’t even qualify as a “leak.” His whole point in his Guardian interview with Greenwald, though, was that he’s not out to hurt American interests, merely to clue his fellow citizens into something the government’s doing to them that should concern them. Yakking to a Chinese paper about U.S. cyberespionage proves that that’s not quite true. He’s also out to embarrass the U.S. by revealing stuff that’ll raise tensions with other nations, even if the stuff he’s revealing is supported by most Americans.

Then again, we already had an inkling of that when the Guardian revealed a few days ago amid the FISA/PRISM bombshells that Obama had asked his natsec team for a list of potential overseas cybertargets. There’s nothing scandalous about that. Preparing for war contingencies is what the commander-in-chief and the country’s military do. But it’s embarrassing to the U.S. to have it revealed and it’ll cause diplomatic headaches with other countries, and evidently that’s enough for Snowden. The “best-case” scenario for him telling Chinese media that we’re spying on China is that he figures that inflaming local sentiment against the U.S. will make it harder for Chinese/Hong Kong authorities to extradite him. Which is to say, instead of gratuitously humiliating America, in this scenario he’s merely betraying state semi-secrets to protect himself. Somewhere Obama’s watching this CNN clip and smiling because he knows that, like it or not, he’s locked in a battle for public opinion with Snowden right now. And everyone who saw this segment this afternoon is now thinking the same thing: If Snowden’s willing to tell China this, what else is he willing to them that he knows? Advantage: Obama.

Actually, I spoke too soon in saying that he merely revealed something everyone knew in confirming that the U.S. spies on China. He was quite a bit more specific than that:

The Post said Snowden provided documents, which the paper described as “unverified,” that he said showed U.S. cyber operations targeting a Hong Kong university, public officials and students in the Chinese city. The paper said the documents also indicate hacking attacks targeting mainland Chinese targets, but did not reveal information about Chinese military systems…

“We hack network backbones — like huge internet routers, basically — that give us access to the communications of hundreds of thousands of computers without having to hack every single one,” Snowden said, according to the paper. “Last week the American government happily operated in the shadows with no respect for the consent of the governed, but no longer.”

And here’s what our freedom-loving, Ron-Paul-supporting hero said about Putin’s fascist kingdom, which is using the idea of granting him asylum to score its own cheap propaganda points against the U.S.:

“Asked if he had been offered asylum by the Russian government, he said: ‘My only comment is that I am glad there are governments that refuse to be intimidated by great power,’” the Morning Post reported.

If there’s anyone who appreciates standing up to great government power, it’s Vladimir Putin. Imagine how heroic Snowden will look to middle America if he ends up essentially defecting to Russia. Incidentially, while Snowden’s comments to the Chinese paper were breaking this afternoon, Uncle Jimbo at Blackfive was posting his findings after looking into Snowden’s claim that he began training to join Special Forces back in 2003. That can’t be true, says UJ:

The 18 X-ray program is a way to go directly from the street to the Special Forces course. You first would attend basic and advanced individual training and then airborne school. Upon successful conclusion of those you head to Bragg for some prep training and the Special Forces Assessment and Selection course. If you pass all of those, then and only then do you start Special Forces training.

Mr. Snowden wasn’t even eligible for this program as he didn’t even graduate from High School.

Either Snowden left the military before ever realizing that he was ineligible for Special Forces or he deliberately exaggerated his ambitions in his Guardian interview. Add that to the other mysteries surrounding him, like how an IT guy managed to lasso such a large and diverse collection of documents. That’ll be the White House’s strategy against him going forward, I think — claiming on the one hand that data-mining helps thwart lots and lots of terror attacks and emphasizing on the other that Snowden’s story has holes in it and that he seems to enjoy sharing state secrets with China. Stay tuned.

Update: A succinct summary of Snowden’s comments to the Chinese paper from Dave Weigel:

Snowden’s problem is larger than domestic spycraft. It’s a problem with spycraft, period. The people circling him and now and dreaming of a “treason” case against him have to notice that.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

So yes, Traitor.

Viper1 on June 12, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Did the America-hating traitor Edward Snowden do us a favor by exposing PRISM?

EddieC on June 12, 2013 at 8:53 PM

And nothing so far has revealed any illegal activities by the NSA.

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 8:36 PM

The cases of David Petraeus and Eliot Spitzer (see the Stellar Wind programme) suggest otherwise.

Resist We Much on June 12, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Too much paranoia on this board for my liking…..

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Have you been paying attention to the news? Heck go back to Joe the Plumber. Really, really naive.

CW on June 12, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Did the America-hating traitor Edward Snowden do us a favor by exposing PRISM?

EddieC on June 12, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Probably.

Ronnie on June 12, 2013 at 8:55 PM

by exposing PRISM?

EddieC on June 12, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I kind of assumed they were already doing it.

Call me PARANOID.

CW on June 12, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Resist We Much on June 12, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Should have been a comma after Constitution. In no way do I think the Constitution is foolish. But I think you knew all that.

As far as the ” go fvck yourself”, not nice.

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 8:59 PM

As someone who has neither vilified nor canonized the man, I’m still on the fence.

I’m surprised, though, that people are so willing to believe what CNN and the other Obama media are tossing out there without a jaundiced and skeptical eye.

I’ll continue to sit on the fence for now and see if some hard facts or stronger flop sweat ensues.

kim roy on June 12, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Probably.

Ronnie on June 12, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Genuinely curious, not trying to trap or zing you.

If he would have exposed the program differently, like via the Washington Times, and if there were no indications that he views the American government as being no better than the Chinese or Russian governments, would he still be considered a traitor? Maybe to a lessor extent? Not at all?

EddieC on June 12, 2013 at 9:01 PM

All those quotes are great…Now back to the real world.

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 8:36 PM

You’d make a great spokesman for gun control.

MadisonConservative on June 12, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Resist We Much on June 12, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Suggests? Really?? That’s your proof?

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 9:02 PM

The fuse is lit.

Schadenfreude on June 12, 2013 at 9:03 PM

We’re supposed to lay down and trust our betters to tell us the truth because, obviously, they wouldn’t lie.

Well, except for General Alexander and Director Clapper, that is./

Resist We Much on June 12, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Suggests? Really?? That’s your proof?

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 9:02 PM

It’s a secret programme so thanks for putting the onerous on me to prove what they are doing when they will not even tell the truth to Congress.

A whistelblower exposed what happened to Spitzer. Read the article. I guess you think only some Americans are entitled to constitutional protections.

Resist We Much on June 12, 2013 at 9:05 PM

MadisonConservative on June 12, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Own guns. Very much against gun control. But I’m considerable not nieve and have a well above average understanding how US Intelligence entities operate. And I have zero fear of the NSA. Especially their employees.

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 8:59 PM

They were your words. As to why you would imagine that I would know how you feel about the COTUS when I’ve seen your position on this issue, I honestly don’t know why.

As far as the ” go fvck yourself”, not nice.

If you want nice, get a puppy.

Resist We Much on June 12, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Too bad that you don’t have a ‘well above average understanding’ of how to spell the word ‘naive.’

Resist We Much on June 12, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Like I said, someone attacks the messenger, and you rush to defend the message. Who can’t separate the two again?

Ronnie on June 12, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Let me try. You may personally be legitimately intrigued by the mindset of the leaker — self-proclaimed whistle-blower, leaker of incredibly scandalous homeland spying, boyfrined to an arcobatic pole dancer — but that’s only germaine in a socio-political context if he did harm to the US, or is a spy. But the vastly more important point is that he exposed — or claims to have — an unconstitutional and arguably illegal program of incredibly scandalous homeland spying.

Every time you wonder about his intentions, you miss the point that he leaked information about incredibly scandalous homeland spying.

Unless his assertions are nothing more than his personal fantasies and there is no factual substance to them, the importance is the content of his leaks. And dwelling on his intentions as the defining aspect of the substance of the leak is a subject more suited to comment at Psychology Today.

But most of us here at HotAir are more concerned with the liquidation of the 4th Amendment which describes our fundamental rights to freedom from unwarranted searches.

flicker on June 12, 2013 at 9:10 PM

And I have zero fear of the NSA. Especially their employees.

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Then you are unwise.

MadisonConservative on June 12, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Suggests? Really?? That’s your proof?

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Tell me why, with Benghazi, the IRS, the State Department, and the ATF’s scandals you still give this administration the benefit of the doubt.

MadisonConservative on June 12, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Look Resist We Much, I’m not going to change your mind, nor you mine. I get where you’re coming from, I just disagree. I’ve never voted democrat in my 50+ years, and never will. Please don’t view my comments as any support for the current administration, I loathe them all.

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 9:13 PM

US Soldier’s ‘Phone Sex’ Intercepted, Shared

…Faulk says he and others in his section of the NSA facility at Fort Gordon routinely shared salacious or tantalizing phone calls that had been intercepted, alerting office mates to certain time codes of “cuts” that were available on each operator’s computer.

“Hey, check this out,” Faulk says he would be told, “there’s good phone sex or there’s some pillow talk, pull up this call, it’s really funny, go check it out. It would be some colonel making pillow talk and we would say, ‘Wow, this was crazy’,” Faulk told ABC News.

Resist We Much on June 12, 2013 at 9:13 PM

MadisonConservative on June 12, 2013 at 9:12 PM

I don’t. I’m not having a knee jerk reaction to this NSA thing simply because Obama is president.

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 9:16 PM

, nor you mine.

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Of course not.

Now tell me what happened to Joe the Plumber.

CW on June 12, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Resist We Much on June 12, 2013 at 9:13 PM

With this technology, any officer could so easily be turned by any administration of his own government.

flicker on June 12, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I opposed this kind of shit under the Bush administration.

Resist We Much on June 12, 2013 at 9:19 PM

flicker on June 12, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Any officer…or Member of Congress…or Supreme Court Justice.

Resist We Much on June 12, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Or Chief Justice.

flicker on June 12, 2013 at 9:20 PM

flicker on June 12, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Like Joe the Plumber.

CW on June 12, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Or just the guy working on the brake or gas line of O’s limo. Anybody can be turned. That’s the problem with an informant culture.

flicker on June 12, 2013 at 9:22 PM

You guys have worn me out. I’ve got a live to go live now…

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Like Joe the Plumber.

CW on June 12, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Why? How was he turned?

flicker on June 12, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Like on Joe the Plumber…I meant.

CW on June 12, 2013 at 9:25 PM

You guys have worn me out. I’ve got a live to go live now…

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Yeh ignore the facts about Joe the Plumber…run on naeve one.

CW on June 12, 2013 at 9:26 PM

EddieC on June 12, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Well, you left out the part about confirming the hacking thing to China (which I’m sure they already “knew”), and that pretty much locks up the traitor award for him. So I don’t thinking any of your changes will make him not a traitor. Without the China thing, I don’t know. I don’t think his choice of paper makes a difference. His opinion on Russia doesn’t really make a difference. What will decide it is whether what he said is true, whether it’s exaggerated or the tip of the iceberg — some of what he’s said has been shown to be somewhat exaggerated, so we’ll see.

Ronnie on June 12, 2013 at 9:27 PM

The ousted state official who abused public resources to campaign for President Obama and illegally access confidential information to retaliate against “Joe the Plumber” has scored a lucrative government job that pays her more than the last one.Her criminal behavior got her booted from her previous taxpayer-financed position, but Helen Jones-Kelley has bounced back in the public sector with a sweet gig that will pay her six figure

Judicial watch.org.

————–

Naive.

CW on June 12, 2013 at 9:28 PM

flicker on June 12, 2013 at 9:10 PM

I can multitask. Really, everyone can stop worrying about what I miss.

Ronnie on June 12, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Can we call this a case of “Good Intentions, Bad Execution?”

The main thing is: Snowden had other options: being a whistleblower is a step that good or bad never works out exactly as planned. Maybe the kid had asperations of a Woodward/Bernstein deal…or something else…but reguardless I find disfavor in these types of publicity seeking actions.

Unlike the Bhengazi issue, no one died from being agressivly datamined..even the IRS issues were more serious because a specific group was targeted….threating to give information to another country is a different issue entirely.

Does this mean I trust everything the gov does, reguardless of who’s in power? No.

But its a big difference to me to something being done that’s distasteful and something that’s downright flucked up….and until I see (regretfully) more of this, I’m still calling this kid a self serving and inept spy…and should be treated as such.

BlaxPac on June 12, 2013 at 9:29 PM

CW on June 12, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I don’t know what you mean.

But how about Andrew Breitbart?

He had a heart condition. Died of a heart attack.

In the old days, when a President wanted to know something about an enemy, Nixon’s guys had to break into a doctor’s office.

Now with HIPAA, ObamaCare and the NSA both have immediate access to all this info. No security guards or cops to see the tape on the doorlock. No flightlight beams to stir the public.

It’s a wonderful time to be President.

flicker on June 12, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Two words: Chinese spy.

michaelo on June 12, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Two more words: Character assassination.

Our government is pretty good at it.

Still waiting for Snowden to be accused of raping some prostitute.

triple on June 12, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Are you at all interested in seeing what other documents he might have?

EddieC on June 12, 2013 at 8:15 PM

We will probably have to hack the Chinese to find out :)

jimver on June 12, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Can we call this a case of “Good Intentions, Bad Execution?”

BlaxPac on June 12, 2013 at 9:29 PM

The Chinese probably do.

Ronnie on June 12, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Neither are we. We’re having a knee jerk reaction to the fact that our government is spying on us.

This “simply because Obama is president” line is just like the “you think Snowden is a hero” bulls**t.

MadisonConservative on June 12, 2013 at 9:31 PM

CW on June 12, 2013 at 9:26 PM

What does Joe the Plumber have to do with NSA? Also, what happened to civilized discourse? You guys can be brutal.

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 9:32 PM

CW on June 12, 2013 at 9:28 PM

No, I didn’t know. Thanks.

flicker on June 12, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Aplombed ….don’t be obtuse. The government is capable and has proven it will use our information against us.

CW on June 12, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Triple…that link please.

CW on June 12, 2013 at 9:36 PM

CW on June 12, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Now that I laughed out loud (lol’d) about. And a great summation, too.

flicker on June 12, 2013 at 9:39 PM

CW on June 12, 2013 at 9:36 PM

You are correct. I just don’t believe that NSA has institutionalized spying on their fellow Americans. There will always be individuals who abuse their position and access.

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 9:43 PM

FOR ALL OF THE Pro Police State folks on this thread, A question.

If it turns out that the NSA is mining our(EVERY AMERICAN) passwords, private email content, Facebook passwords, private facebook content, Disqus passwords…then is that going to far?

Do you have a line that you think government bureaucrats should NOT cross?

Also, how do I organize against an administration(city,county,national) that has access to my emails and data? How can I run a competitive political organization if my competition can see my data?

How do you have a democracy when those in power have such an awesome tool for keeping themselves in power? This is basic.

BoxHead1 on June 12, 2013 at 9:47 PM

democracydemocratic elections

BoxHead1 on June 12, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Funniest line of the night.

CW on June 12, 2013 at 9:50 PM

There will always be individuals who abuse their position and access.

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 9:43 PM

So what did you do while you were gone. I had a three-minute egg.

But when you say “individuals who abuse” do you mean like the times sealed documents were leaked to promote Obama’s election wins? Who eventually became President? Or were you talking about leaking Romney’s taxes, which were intended to help Obama win reelection.

flicker on June 12, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Nice little campaign of personal destruction you’ve got going on here, Hot Air.

But no matter how much you try to make him so, Snowden is not the center of this story. The rising American police state is.

sartana on June 12, 2013 at 7:59 PM

What’s your point – Snowden is above criticism, and not an important part of the story here? ROFL

Anti-Control on June 12, 2013 at 9:54 PM

BoxHead1 on June 12, 2013 at 9:47 PM

I keep thinking about the small gatherings around kitchen tables in the evening. Okay, you guys know better, and leave your cells in their cars. You’ve unplugged you desk tops and removed the batteries from your lap tops. You leave the lights off and used sterno to heat your snacks. You told everyone not to flush.

You left your cell phones in your cars? No, you left those at home. And you parked your cars blocks away.

So you think no one will be listening in on your political conversations, your dissenting ruminations, your political plans.

Is this really the life you want to live?

flicker on June 12, 2013 at 9:58 PM

flicker on June 12, 2013 at 9:51 PM

I poured a New Belgium Trippel.

Yes. That is what I meant.

CW on June 12, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Really? I thought it sounded more like a set up than a punch line.

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 9:58 PM

I still don’t care. I’m glad we know about this program.

GiantOrb on June 12, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Why does it have to be institutionalized to be dangerous. If it turns out Snowden is 1/4 right then you only need 1 ONE UNUS 1.0 0b1…
You only need one Agent to get the data.

One of those agents might be a sniveling traitor and another 1 might be an Heroic Obama operative.

BoxHead1 on June 12, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Aplombed….

THEY HAVE institutionalized it.What planet are you living on?

You’re just fine with it.

CW on June 12, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Yes. That is what I meant.

CW on June 12, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 9:58 PM

So then accepting this level of illegality in the democratic process is acceptable to you.

And the acceptance of the leaking of family court-sealed documents and the stuff that the NSA will likely be storing is the price to pay to fight terrorism.

It’s scary that any American would feel that way.

flicker on June 12, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Aplombed …so much trust in our government.

As Joe Biden would say – I have four letters for you:

I R S

CW on June 12, 2013 at 10:08 PM

CW on June 12, 2013 at 10:03 PM

No. They have been given the ability to run queries against a compiled database of provider data provided by the various Internet and cell phone companies The data used in the query must be foreign-originated and the query is subject to review. NSA is not “spying” on US citizens. NSA is not collecting in the US against US citizens. They are simply running queries against a database.

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 10:11 PM

CW on June 12, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Biden is an idiot and that line is funn.

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Aplombed ….your government in all likelihood as viewed some of your digitized information. What have you done wrong?

CW on June 12, 2013 at 10:14 PM

They are simply running queries against a database.

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Orwellian….

we have a new language.

CW on June 12, 2013 at 10:16 PM

flicker on June 12, 2013 at 10:07 PM

I don’t accept it in any way, but it will always exist. Political espionage is practiced on both sides. Doesn’t make it right, but I’m not blind to the realities.

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 10:16 PM

They are simply running queries against a database.

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Orwellian….

we have a new language.

CW on June 12, 2013 at 10:16 PM

BTW saying “Orwellian” is racist.

BoxHead1 on June 12, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 9:43 PM

What’s your explanation for the lies which have been coming out of 0dumba’s administration about the NSA scandal?

Anti-Control on June 12, 2013 at 10:18 PM

CW on June 12, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Just your garden-variety internet activities ;)

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 10:19 PM

The data used in the query must be foreign-originated

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama declared Friday that America is “going to have to make some choices” balancing privacy and security, launching a vigorous defense of formerly secret programs that sweep up an estimated 3 billion phone calls a day and amass Internet data from U.S. providers in an attempt to thwart terror attacks.

Three billions calls originating from foreign countries.

Interesting.

CW on June 12, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 10:16 PM

So then cut out the ammo supply. Don’t let the NSA keep better dosiers on us than our own diaries can provide.

flicker on June 12, 2013 at 10:27 PM

So Aplombed Obama admits they ARE infringing on our privacy.
So is he lying?

CW on June 12, 2013 at 10:28 PM

And this is the debate Snowden said he wanted to start.

flicker on June 12, 2013 at 10:30 PM

CW on June 12, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Didn’t see where he said “infringing.” In a sense it does infringe if your phone number, email address or some form of communications is connected to a foreign target. I don’t know how you would otherwise comb through the data if you had a foreign suspects phone number, email, etc, and suspected they may be communicating with someone in the US, possible arranging funding or organizing terrorist-related activities.

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Aplombed, I don’t know if you missed this or are ignoring it, so I’ll try again:

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Anti-Control on June 12, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Anti-Control on June 12, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Have not yet read the comments.

Yes, we are hacking the Chinese.

The Chinese are also hacking us, governmnet sponsored.

Question: Why are we still trading with China, a country we are in cyberwar with?

Answer: They are still buying our govt. bonds.

‘Nuff said.

Petro war also a factor.

riverrat10k on June 12, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Anti-Control on June 12, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Liars lie. Everything about Obama is based on lies and he and his minions are prolific liars.

Can you tell me what lies he’s telling about this?

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Pay cash for everything. Send money orders to your creditors.
Withdraw your funds from the banks.

Make ‘em print till they bleed.

Starve the beast. Do not accept BanK of America credit cards, et. al. at your business.

riverrat10k on June 12, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Maybe you could go on a digital quest…like Diogenes of Sinope and find the honest American Politician who using tangible proof will confirm your faith…and then share that with the rest of us skeptics so that we may all have relief from this chronic stress of mistrust caused by our government induced crisis.

Or maybe not.

workingclass artist on June 12, 2013 at 11:58 PM

They are simply running queries against a database.

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Orwellian….

we have a new language.

CW on June 12, 2013 at 10:16 PM

BTW saying “Orwellian” is racist.

BoxHead1 on June 12, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Thanks for clearing that up…I thought it was merely anglophilic…

workingclass artist on June 13, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Triple where’s that link??????????????????

CW on June 12, 2013 at 8:14 PM

It turns out that the Chinese government’s allegations are essentially correct. According to a number of confidential sources, a highly secretive unit of the National Security Agency (NSA), the U.S. government’s huge electronic eavesdropping organization, called the Office of Tailored Access Operations, or TAO, has successfully penetrated Chinese computer and telecommunications systems for almost 15 years, generating some of the best and most reliable intelligence information about what is going on inside the People’s Republic of China.

HarryBackside on June 13, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Can you tell me what lies he’s telling about this?

Aplombed on June 12, 2013 at 10:48 PM

A couple, for starters: Clapper’s lie, and 0dumba saying that Congress was well aware of what was going on…

Anti-Control on June 13, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Triple…that link please.

CW on June 12, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Triple posted it back on page 1.

DarkCurrent on June 13, 2013 at 5:54 AM

The fuse is lit.

Schadenfreude on June 12, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Bingo! Caddell’s multi-paragraph points about Obysmal’s alliance with Silicon Valley (and his frequent fund-raising trips to San Francisco) have raised my hackles for quite a while. The convergence of the Dem machine and Obysmal’s OFA tactics with the computer wonderland in CA threatens the integrity of representative government and promises totalitarian governance.

onlineanalyst on June 13, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Anyone not against the wire tapping is a complete moron. Try winning an election against whoever is in control of the tapping and you’ll realize how important it is to shut this down. Everything you’ve ever said in private can and will be used against you, out of context and in a 30 second clip made to make you look as bad as possible.

Kanyin on June 13, 2013 at 9:28 AM

While this revelation is no surprise it is unwise to say this from where he is at. To maintain credibility he should be moving somewhere else. He should stay away from both China and Russia.

I think he has done a great service to the American people. I don’t know what more revelations would get him unless it is more documentation to back up what he has said.

TerryW on June 13, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Of course everyone knew that the United States was cyberspying on China. If we weren’t, the Federal Government would not be doing its damn job. Snowden has gone from hero to villian in providing documents that may or may not prove. I still give him credit for revealing PRISM. This entire mess is going to get worse as time goes on.

SC.Charlie on June 13, 2013 at 10:29 AM

correction: Snowden has gone from hero to villian/traitor, if he has provided documents that show extensive details on the United States cyberspying on China and other countries.

SC.Charlie on June 13, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Memo to Hannity, Beck, Bolling, et al: You’ve been hoodwinked and bamboozled.

Buy Danish on June 13, 2013 at 10:38 AM

American is hacking Russian computers.

There. Am I a traitor now?

MadisonConservative on June 13, 2013 at 10:42 AM

American is hacking Russian computers.

There. Am I a traitor now?

MadisonConservative on June 13, 2013 at 10:42 AM

I don’t know what to say about some of this thread. I’m good to go with the pitchfork thing, but this guy who told me about all this just isn’t on my list. I’m not even sure how he could get on there.

Ronnie on June 12, 2013 at 9:27 PM

We will?

How? One guy told us something, and he’s fled for his life, and the people we elected to govern are telling us with a wink and a knowing nod that they’ve got it all covered and we should shush-up about it now so they can get on with keeping us safe, if we know what they mean and they think that we do.

Axe on June 13, 2013 at 10:59 AM

There. Am I a traitor now?

MadisonConservative on June 13, 2013 at 10:42 AM

I bet you like pirozhki too.

DarkCurrent on June 13, 2013 at 11:09 AM

He ain’t a “traitor” yet, but he stepped on his d!ck with this “China” comment, and is really toeing the line. Ego always gets the better of leakers like this – if you didn’t have some type of large ego, you wouldn’t have to stones to even leak anything. I wonder if even he realizes how bad DC wants his booty. And of course, Scythian that royally wedgies the panties of the Feds and has this many of the “right” people p!ssed off must be doing something “right”.

That being said, it isn’t anything we don’t already know (depending on the level of info he actually spills, or course), and in case you aren’t paying attention, China is doing it to the US, too, to a large degree. A list of people responsible for computer espionage against the US reads like the Chinese phone book.

Saltyron on June 13, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Everyone who is trying to denigrate Snowden brings up the fact that he did not graduate from college and only received a GED. Well, damn it, he was smart enough to be hired by a NSA contractor. The NSA does not deny that fact. I am pretty sure that all of these computer people are tested and vetted by the NSA. Also, everyone please remember that Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and Michael Dell did not receive a college degrees. Truly talented computer geeks are special breed.

SC.Charlie on June 13, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I hate to say it, but the more I watch this guy the less patriotic and the more glory-seeking and narcissistic he is.

Which is not to say that the programs he brought up aren’t of great concern to me. So instead of lauding him and working for limited government, we throw him in jail and still work for limited government. The mere fact that domestic collection was brought to our attention by someone more like a skunk than a saint doesn’t mean the system ain’t rotten.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

pendell2 on June 13, 2013 at 11:57 AM

+1000. Absolutely.

hawkeye54 on June 13, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Wikipedia now has a page on Edward Snowden: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Snowden

It gives everyone a good picture what we know so far. Here is one part of it: “Snowden’s employer Booz Allen Hamilton released a statement on June 9 condemning his actions as “shocking” and “a grave violation of the code of conduct and core values of our firm.”[19] The statement emphasized his short-term involvement with the firm, and disputed his claimed salary of US$200,000, instead suggesting US$122,000 as the correct figure.[46] Booz Allen Hamilton’s stock value dropped after Snowden’s association with them became public knowledge.[47] The company terminated Snowden’s employment on June 10.[48]

A spokesperson for Dell declined to comment on Snowden’s claimed past employment with the firm.”

SC.Charlie on June 13, 2013 at 12:01 PM

oh Snap! Bluegill was right again.

Meow on June 13, 2013 at 12:03 PM

It occurs to me that Snowden is simply saying what the Chinese are telling him to say, based on their own spying/hacking, and their own desired storyline. Hmm.

Midas on June 13, 2013 at 12:05 PM

American is hacking Russian computers.

There. Am I a traitor now?

Hah! Its the job of national intelligence to that kinda thing….its expected. We hack theirs, they hack ours. The idea is to try to be two steps ahead of them in security and be better hackers than they are.

And ya have to expect someone on your side to be ready to spill the beans to the other side if personal benefit is to be had. Some people have no loyalty other to their own ego, ideology, fame and money.

Ya have to be really careful who is involved and at what level and always be on guard, I think.

hawkeye54 on June 13, 2013 at 12:07 PM