Politico: “Trust me” not really working for Obama, huh?

posted at 10:41 am on June 12, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

A couple of months ago, political analysts discussed Barack Obama’s increased political capital after winning re-election and increasing Democratic seats on Capitol Hill.  These days, pundits like Glenn Thrush and Jennifer Epstein at Politico are openly wondering whether Obama and the avalanche of scandals have turned him into a liability.  The scandals have eroded Obama’s greatest political asset — trust:

“Trust me” is President Barack Obama’s preferred mode of action in times of crisis — and his go-to comment to nervous staffers has always been some version of “Relax, I got this.”

But that message is an increasingly hard sell for Obama in his second term, following revelations that the man who once railed against the Bush administration over civil liberties abuses has himself surreptitiously quarterbacked the greatest expansion of electronic surveillance in U.S. history.

Obama’s call for trust, patience and near blanket secrecy is increasingly falling on deaf ears in his own party, spurring a backlash among Democrats who say it’s time for the “most transparent president in history” to provide the American people with a comprehensive explanation of a secret program that dragnets most phone records and much of the Internet.

It’s not just the scandals, either, but the administration’s response to them.  When did Obama find out about the IRS targeting conservatives? When he picked up the newspaper — even though his chief of staff and White House counsel had briefed the West Wing on the scandal weeks earlier.  He didn’t know that his close friend Eric Holder had named a Fox News reporter as a co-conspirator in espionage until that hit the newsstands, too.  What did Obama do during the terrorist attack on Benghazi?  He was “fully briefed,” but the White House refuses to say where he was and what specifically he did after the initial briefing.  The administration managed to offer pictures of the Commander in Chief on the job during the Osama bin Laden raid, but all we get is a shrug when things went wrong in Benghazi.

You can’t say “trust me” and “I know nothing” at the same time, and expect people to buy either line.  When the best defense the White House can offer during Scandalabra is incompetence, the natural progression will be to mistrust either motives or ability, both of which create big problems for Obama — and his approval ratings decline on leadership qualities make that plain.

One test of Obama’s political capital will come this month in Massachusetts, where Obama will campaign for Ed Markey right before the June 25th special election:

Trailed by controversy, President Barack Obama is pressing ahead with efforts to boost Democrats Wednesday in Boston and Miami, raising questions about whether the second-term president will be more asset or liability to his party in the coming election season.

Fulfilling a pledge to work harder to help elect Democrats than he did in years past, Obama visits Massachusetts to rally voters ahead of a nationally watched special Senate election. He stops in Miami in the evening to raise cash for the Democratic Party at two private homes.

Each stop lends Obama’s proven ability to energize Democrats to the party’s cause this year and next, with control of Congress and Obama’s second-term agenda at stake. But the visits also create opportunities for Republicans eager to link their Democrat opponents to the Obama administration’s recent troubles, like a string of high-profile controversies involving the Internal Revenue Service and government intelligence-gathering.

Even in Democrat-friendly Massachusetts, there are signs of modest declines in his popularity as Republicans seize on the White House’s struggles in the special election to replace John Kerry and in nascent campaigns across the nation.

He tried that with Martha Coakley, too, and ended up with egg on his face in Massachusetts, even without all of the scandal baggage.  Markey’s doing his best to distance himself from it even as Obama makes plans to join him on the stump:

Rep. Ed Markey, the Democratic hopeful in Massachusetts, last week criticized the government’s massive collection of personal phone and Internet records, even as Obama defended the practice. The disclosures about the National Security Agency surveillance came with the administration already facing questions over the IRS’ improper targeting of conservative groups, the seizure of journalists’ phone records and the handling of the attack in Libya last year that left four Americans dead.

Markey’s got a lead in Massachusetts in the single digits, so this does present a risk. If the scandals worsen, Obama might end up doing more damage to Markey than to Gabriel Gomez, and in a special election turnout where the opposition has reason to be more engaged, that could end up being significant.

Comments

As it takes corrupt leaders to represent a corrupt people, why would there be a risk for Obama in Massachusetts?

MNHawk on June 12, 2013 at 10:44 AM

No, I doubt Obama will be hurt much, unfortunately. I feel like people are spending so much energy on the NSA stuff, and doing it in the way they are, in part because they hope it will hurt Obama. Not that it isn’t a huge story anyway.

But I really wish we could focus more on stopping amnesty.

bluegill on June 12, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Why wouldn’t we trust Obama? He never breaks a promise.

Doughboy on June 12, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I wonder if Hannity or Beck will give any of their money to help defeat Obama and Markey in Massachusetts…

beatcanvas on June 12, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Ed, I’m worried Markey’s gonna squeek it out over Gomez. Gabriel’s a fantastic candidate. The absolute best. But Mass Repubs consistently underestimate the Voter Fraud factor in elections. Markey’s machine will find some ballots to put him over the top.

The lib media will then spin it as a win for Obama.

MASSACHUSETTS REPUBLICANS GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER NOW TO STOP VOTER FRAUD!!!

ericdondero on June 12, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I’m glad there has been no “major” terrorist attacks in Mass. lately.

oldroy on June 12, 2013 at 10:48 AM

It’s hard to ask for trust in the office of The President when you’ve spent so much time trashing the Supreme Court, Congress, and your predecessor.

Joe Biden is still at it: Joe Biden: Al Gore was elected president

It brings to mind the old saying about pointing a finger at others and leaving the others pointing at yourself.

Drained Brain on June 12, 2013 at 10:49 AM

The lib media will then spin it as a win for Obama.

MASSACHUSETTS REPUBLICANS GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER NOW TO STOP VOTER FRAUD!!!

ericdondero on June 12, 2013 at 10:46 AM

It’s tough to stop the Dems in MassachusettEs when it comes to voter fraud. They’ve got O-rithmetic on their side.

Doughboy on June 12, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Unfortunately Markey will win…. Remember Senator Liawatha?

sandee on June 12, 2013 at 10:50 AM

MASSACHUSETTS REPUBLICANS GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER NOW TO STOP VOTER FRAUD!!!

ericdondero on June 12, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Everywhere… because if they don’t get serious about stopping voter fraud, coupled with amnesty, the Repubs will never win nationally again.

But it’s not like there’s a great difference between the Repubs and Democrats anyway. Right? (i.e., King, Rubio, and Graham…)

beatcanvas on June 12, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Doughboy on June 12, 2013 at 10:49 AM

That’s it. You are going on the Main Core list.

oldroy on June 12, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I have a rule: Never trust a guy who says, “Trust me.”

Connie on June 12, 2013 at 10:52 AM

When your administration gets caught repeatedly committing blatant perjury in congressional testimony the trust thingy tends to slip away.

tommyboy on June 12, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Hey, let’s see how the trust thing works when “families are going to save $2500″ and “if you like your healthplan you get to keep your healthplan” meets the reality of Obamacare.

Happy Nomad on June 12, 2013 at 10:52 AM

“Politico” . . . my backside, they’re nothing but a propaganda arm of the Obama regime. Only a die hard leftist or a damn fool would believe anything uttered by the likes of “Politico”.

rplat on June 12, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Hey, how can you not trust an administration that works hard to give you the “least untruthful” answers?

tommyboy on June 12, 2013 at 10:53 AM

I guess I’m part of the minority of voters who has NEVER trusted 0bama and his team of crooks.

UltimateBob on June 12, 2013 at 10:54 AM

You can’t trust a man who is not in charge.

This “president” seems to have no knowledge of most everything going on around him.

His highest “chiefs”, the IRS commissioner, visits him more than most anyone else, they all know about the IRS scandals, but amazingly they don’t tell the president.

What kind of leader has such a loose ship that his senior management doesn’t keep him informed…not even about events regarding the murder of an Ambassador, he is, if nothing else, as inept of a leader as you could possible have.

Nice speaker, likable I suppose to many, but just a poor leader and manager.

And in this position, fund raising and campaigning, are not the requirements that are needed to run a country.

Evidenced by the continued poor economy, unemployment, Syria about to produce the bomb, Russia dressing him down on privacy,IIRS scandal, NSA scandal, energy scandals, healthcare insider trading, blocking investigations regarding our diplomats, the list is endless…and he knows nothing, he reads about them in the paper.

Maybe the NSA needs to be tapping his advisers so he can find out what is happening.

He will be regarded as the most inept president ever elected…

right2bright on June 12, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Happy Nomad on June 12, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Just one of many…he will blame it on a video…

right2bright on June 12, 2013 at 10:55 AM

LA LA LA I can’t hear you….. dear leader is awesome and hes not like bush
-lsm

cmsinaz on June 12, 2013 at 10:56 AM

MASSACHUSETTS REPUBLICANS GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER NOW TO STOP VOTER FRAUD!!!

ericdondero on June 12, 2013 at 10:46 AM

The RNC should make sure there are poll watchers to every precinct in the state. They should challenge every provisional ballot and make sure the voting officials follow the law. I’m convinced my state was rife with Dem voter fraud and I’m sure it wasn’t the only one.

Happy Nomad on June 12, 2013 at 10:57 AM

“Speak out against Obama – Get a visit by the Secret Service

The Secret Service visited an outspoken Obama critic after reading his tweets.

The Examiner reported:

After you read this- you will wonder what country we are in.

Tom Francois is an outspoken critic of Barack Hussein Obama- and has a robust Twitter presence. He also likes to dabble with his “paint” program to create funny cartoons. He has never threatened the President in any way, manner or form.

On April 11, 2013, he heard relentless pounding on his door shouts of “Police!” The officers introduced themselves as members of The Secret Service and asked if they could “take a look around.”

They asked Tom if he ever left his state or traveled to Washington, D.C.

One Agent asked Tom if he has any intentions of “whacking” the President.” To which Tom replied- “Of course not. I wish him no harm. I disagree with his policies and actions and I make no bones about it. It’s my First Amendment Right and I intend to exercise it.”

When I spoke to Tom he said, “Yes, I am EXTREMELY critical of Obama in my posts, but I never cross the line and threaten his being. EVER. It’s just the idea of Obama’s Secret Service intruding on my life when they knew I wasn’t really a threat.”

The Secret Service had a thick FBI file- filled with screenshots of hundreds of posts. Said Tom, “I flat out told them ‘I have NEVER threatened Obama’s life! Yes, I despise him as you can plainly see, but I have that right!’ They actually ADMITTED and agreed with me that I hadn’t threatened Obama.”

- Gateway Pundit

I’d post a link but then I get a system crash report…and I have a mac…so I copied and pasted from the rss reader.

Seems to happen a lot lately when I go to certain conservative sites.

weird.

Great way to win over folks Preezy….

workingclass artist on June 12, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I feel so much better knowing that Obama will find out about the coming economic collapse when he reads about it in the morning paper…then he’ll shrug and go golfing. It’s only arithmetic after all.

kirkill on June 12, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Just one of many…he will blame it on a video…

right2bright on June 12, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Well if he does he’ll see firsthand what a spontaneous demonstration looks like. Seriously, the rat-eared coward is bullet proof as far as impeachment but we are but a few scandals away from a massive march on Washington to protest the administration (and the fact that nobody gets fired for any of this crap).

Happy Nomad on June 12, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Trust HIM? ROFLMAO. That is all.

NJ Red on June 12, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Obama might end up doing more damage to Markey than to Gabriel Gomez,

meh, i have a feeling massachusetts experiment w/ a “conservative” senator is over. not that it matters, from their debate, gomez aint any different that markey and is prolly more left leaning than chaffee, snowe, spectre, etc.

chasdal on June 12, 2013 at 11:02 AM

workingclass artist on June 12, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Without probable cause and a signed warrant, I’d have told them to go to hell. I hate this mentality that its okay to cede your civil rights to the Stasi if you have “nothing to hide.”

Happy Nomad on June 12, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Here’s an old joke.

How do they say FU in Los Angeles??

“Trust me”

ToddPA on June 12, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Most Republican’s are doing a damn fine job of improving him image lately.

Mr. Arrogant on June 12, 2013 at 11:08 AM

‘Quarterbacked’? Tebow is a better quarterback.

faraway on June 12, 2013 at 11:08 AM

You can’t say “trust me” and “I know nothing” at the same time

Orwell called that doublethink.

“The power of holding two contradictory beliefs in one’s mind simultaneously, and accepting both of them… To tell deliberate lies while genuinely believing in them, to forget any fact that has become inconvenient, and then, when it becomes necessary again, to draw it back from oblivion for just as long as it is needed, to deny the existence of objective reality and all the while to take account of the reality which one denies – all this is indispensably necessary. Even in using the word doublethink it is necessary to exercise doublethink. For by using the word one admits that one is tampering with reality; by a fresh act of doublethink one erases this knowledge; and so on indefinitely, with the lie always one leap ahead of the truth…” – Orwell 1984

Newspeak is the method for controlling thought through language; Doublethink is the method of directly controlling thought.

If one is to rule, and to continue ruling, one must be able to dislocate the sense of reality. For the secret of rulership is to combine a belief in one’s own infallibility with the power to learn from past mistakes. – Orwell 1984

workingclass artist on June 12, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Imho, these two deserve each other.

/just saying

clear ether

eon

eon on June 12, 2013 at 11:09 AM

ToddPA on June 12, 2013 at 11:06 AM

That’s the one joke I remember from my copy of Truly Tasteless Jokes back in ’85.

Flange on June 12, 2013 at 11:11 AM

blockquote>When the best defense the White House can offer during Scandalabra is incompetence,

I don’t know, I think he went beyond incompetence back when Benghazi happened and he hasn’t had a lick of competence since. There has to be a harsher word to describe the level of his incompetence. No one has ever reached it before! :)

scalleywag on June 12, 2013 at 11:12 AM

He’s more feckless than incompetent.

scalleywag on June 12, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Hey,why not trust a guy who “never did anything wrong in his life”.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on June 12, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Hard to trust someone who knows nothing about what happens around him.

Bah. Still missing the boat. Obama “says” he knows nothing about what happens around him and you infer it’s true.

It’s hard to trust someone who lies so often one has trouble not saying it’s “all the time”.

Dusty on June 12, 2013 at 11:17 AM

ObamaScandal – (n) Treason, lying to Congress, spying on Americans, intimidation of political groups and individuals, multiple terror attacks, multiple gun deaths, etc. ignored by the media

faraway on June 12, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Happy Nomad on June 12, 2013 at 11:05 AM

This.

“If I have nothing to hide, you have nothing to look for. Piss off.”

CurtZHP on June 12, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Trust us. – American Citizens
No. – NSA

weaselyone on June 12, 2013 at 11:20 AM

ToddPA on June 12, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Flange on June 12, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Yup!

ToddPA on June 12, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Hey,why not trust a guy who “never did anything wrong in his life”.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on June 12, 2013 at 11:14 AM

That you, Chris Matthews? He went on a very long riff recently about how those who oppose the rat-eared coward only do so because of race since he has led such an upstanding and decent life.

Happy Nomad on June 12, 2013 at 11:22 AM

lying liars lie

burserker on June 12, 2013 at 11:22 AM

O/T

Apparently, Sarah Murnaghan is about to get a new set of lungs…

#PrayersForSarah She got the lungs for transplant! Surgery begins in 20 minutes!

Resist We Much on June 12, 2013 at 11:23 AM

“Trust me, I’m not in charge.”

Axeman on June 12, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Mass is not a test. Brown won because the liberals did not think it was possible for a Republican to win. They know better now and will never let it happen again.

tbrickert on June 12, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Since Tom had nothing to hide (and he didn’t want any return visits) – he complied fully with their request. He even signed a consent to search his premises AND an “Authorization To Review Medical and Mental Health Records!” workingclass artist on June 12, 2013 at 10:59 AM

He had something to hide alright: his unalienable rights. Covered em right up as soon as he saw the SS.

“Get a warrant. My attorney will be here when you return with it.”

Akzed on June 12, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Happy Nomad on June 12, 2013 at 11:05 AM

One of the problems is that since the News is censored…and legislatures (congress for example) pass laws before they read them…the citizenry is likely to violate laws unwittingly.

Grahamnesty wondered out loud if Bloggers qualified for the same constitutional protections as legitimate journalists….He also said he’d be OK with Feds reading private Mail. I guess it’s for the children…

Why would he or any other pol wonder about that…Because Bloggers report and comment on issues and the coverage or lack of coverage by the Media.

Some great conservative blogs are written by Lawyers & Academics…as well as Citizen journalists, many of which are political junkies.

These blogs generate political communities in the dialog threads and share info that Big Media doesn’t cover cause it doesn’t fit the agenda of the organization.

When a Free Press becomes a Bought Press…You got a good indication of the building of a Fascist Structure.

workingclass artist on June 12, 2013 at 11:28 AM

O/T

Apparently, Sarah Murnaghan is about to get a new set of lungs…

Resist We Much on June 12, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Let’s hope/pray the transplant works…no rejection…

Maybe someday she’ll be an Opera Singer.

workingclass artist on June 12, 2013 at 11:31 AM

What prevents Big Gubmint from manipulating those medical (psychiatric) records to silence an outspoken critic?

Have they come up with a term for medical/psychiatric rendition yet?

I guess we should all just trust them on that…

workingclass artist on June 12, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Democrats are fine with these “Scandals” as long as the free stuff keeps on coming and Republicans aren’t allowed to use the power in the same way. That would be fascism, you see.

famous amos on June 12, 2013 at 11:37 AM

scalleywag on June 12, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Powerlessness?

Incapacity?

Inability?

Roget’s Thesaurus

workingclass artist on June 12, 2013 at 11:39 AM

famous amos on June 12, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Progressives engage in doublethink and doublespeak on a regular basis because it soothes cognitive dissonance and being uncomfortable with moral relativism.

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. – John Adams

workingclass artist on June 12, 2013 at 11:43 AM

You can’t say “trust me” and “I know nothing” at the same time

This reminds me of two contradictory bumper stickers I once saw on a car.

This first said “Damn I’m Good” and the second said “Don’t follow me, I’m lost”.

Jocon307 on June 12, 2013 at 11:47 AM

UltimateBob on June 12, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I never understood the “likeability” thing either, what in God’s name is “likeable” about that arrogant stuck up son of a b1tch? He’s cold, obnoxious, treats subordinates like crap, has contempt for anyone who doesn’t worship him..

all which would be the kiss of death to a republican, but he and Biden pull it off because the media says so, and democrats like their politicians nasty. But to say folks just like him?

People liked Bush on a personal level, wanted to have him as a neighbor or have a beer with him..

Obama?

A neighbor if you live in a mansion-ed estate with a ten million dollar mortgage,.. and never a beer, but maybe a nice imported 600 dollar French Wine..

NOTHING about Obama says folksy or friendly, he’s that arrogant Harvard @ss, and has disdain for the little guy, always has, always will.

mark81150 on June 12, 2013 at 11:48 AM

mark81150 on June 12, 2013 at 11:48 AM

my theory isnt that 0bama is likeable but taht people like themselves better for supporting him. it reliefs them of the “white guilt” that our education system has been beating into us for the past 50 years.

chasdal on June 12, 2013 at 11:53 AM

workingclass artist on June 12, 2013 at 11:39 AM

All of the above! He’s got a plethora palooza of incompetence.

scalleywag on June 12, 2013 at 11:55 AM

It will turn out that the night of Sep 11 2012 Obama was fully engaged – in telephone solicitations for campaign contributions.

motionview on June 12, 2013 at 11:58 AM

mark81150 on June 12, 2013 at 11:48 AM

The whole Likeability thingy is manufactured by the media…Had to be since there wasn’t enough real time or impact in the political arena to develop loyal staffers etc.

So people liked Obama because they felt they should like Obama since the Media told them He was what they were waiting for…Hollywood does this all the time & they were the consultants who sold the Historical Preezy.

Besides…NK’s Fat Kim is liked by his slaves as well.

workingclass artist on June 12, 2013 at 11:58 AM

The biggest scandal of all is that each of the JPGs/PDFs of the following so-called “documents” are ALL forgeries:

Obama’s Certification of Live Birth
Obama’s Certificate of Live Birth
Obama’s Selective Service Registration Card

Maricopa County, Arizona, Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s Cold Case Posse Lead Investigator Mike Zullo is preparing to bring to Congress all of the evidence the Posse has gathered in their 21-month investigation.

ITguy on June 12, 2013 at 11:59 AM

IMPEACHMENT AND PRISON!

ultracon on June 12, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Here’s what I KNOW. The Google CEO is in the tank for Obama and has been from day one, the MSM the same, Unions yep, minorities yep. Last year’s election was a fraud. Between the MSM and internet giants like Google “helping” Obama every step of the way. With unions in charge of a majority of voting machines, with minority voters voting 8 times or more Romney was NEVER going to win. Having said that, does anyone remember when Obama was crying last year in October because he thought he was losing? He KNEW he didn’t have the majority of the vote and he was right to be worried. In light of the IRS scandal in particular and the NSA one as well I’m thinking that data mining has been going on since 2007. This would explain why so many of the Republicans are acting the way they are. Obama has something on them. Is is not paranoia if someone is really after you.

Unless and until the Republicans get a clue and start pushing for voter ID laws, have oversight on our elections then 2012 will be the new norm.

The reason the Dems are so desperate to pass amnesty is they know if these voter irregularities are ever fixed then they will lose.

I cannot prove any of this but I KNOW it!

neyney on June 12, 2013 at 12:06 PM

FIrst of all, why trust any President who stole an election? Secondly, why trust any Democrat who helped him steal the election? Finally, why trust any Democrat about anything after they were way suspicious, when Bush was President, about anything NSA did? They leaked a program that involved foreign banks tracking Al Qaeda money and were proud of it. Now the Democrats have the power and they think this is just fine, why should we trust them?

As far as Massachusetts is concerned, they just elected Fauxcahontas to the Senate, does anyone really believe they’d elect a Hispanic Republican to the Senate? Of course, the IRS could have had something to do with Scott Brown’s loss, but we’ll never know, will we?

bflat879 on June 12, 2013 at 12:09 PM

UltimateBob on June 12, 2013 at 10:54 AM

We are legion. I wish we could have replaced him last Nov. I’m amazed by those willing to fall on their swords for him. Kool Aid is not THAT strong. It must be some other influence.

freedomfirst on June 12, 2013 at 12:18 PM

My other favorite is that “Let me clear” bit.

Obama’s transparent is everyone else’s opaque.

Sherman1864 on June 12, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I would love it if someone would ask Obowma the following question…

“What do they call it when you do the right thing when no one is watching?”

Seven Percent Solution on June 12, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Obama wanted to be, at once, the Thrre Monkeys of Oblivion and the “smaaahtest president in history”.

h/t VorDaj

Schadenfreude on June 12, 2013 at 1:35 PM

ericdondero: “Ed, I’m worried Markey’s gonna squeek it out over Gomez”.

What am I missing here? Aren’t they 2 liberals? Either will be another vote for amnesty.

Belle on June 12, 2013 at 1:54 PM

The scandals have eroded Obama’s greatest political asset

That’s implying he had more than one political asset to begin with.

Oh, wait. He had two. “Trust,” and he wasn’t a Bush.

Myron Falwell on June 12, 2013 at 2:02 PM

David Rasche could not be reached for comment.

Del Dolemonte on June 12, 2013 at 2:51 PM

So what are you trying to tell us who’s been calling him a liar since he promised not to take private contributions?

RdLake on June 12, 2013 at 9:09 PM

The give away, when someone says “Let me make this perfectly clear”

RdLake on June 13, 2013 at 9:28 AM