More Peter King: Too many conservatives have become Michael Moores on this NSA thing

posted at 6:01 pm on June 12, 2013 by Allahpundit

A new communique from the Lindsey Graham of the House via Mediaite. He doesn’t specify what crosses the line from legit concern about the extent of the surveillance state into Michael Moore-style adversarial socialism, but King being King, I’m guessing he thinks it’s a short journey. If he means that Snowden shouldn’t be hero-worshipped, I agree, although I know some libertarians in “hero” mode right now who’d be surprised to find that they qualify as neo-Moores because of it.

One of the petty annoyances in debating the NSA/PRISM revelations is having people on one far end of the liberty/security spectrum push you into defending people on the other far end of the spectrum through the sheer force of their demagoguery. Case in point: Watch King accuse Glenn Greenwald of threatening to leak the names of CIA agents as part of the Snowden revelations. Has Greenwald actually done that? As best as I can tell, no, not at all. On the contrary, Snowden said in his video interview with Greenwald that he could have released that information if he was interested in endangering U.S. personnel rather than exposing a program in general terms which he felt the public had a right to know about. But he isn’t, so he hasn’t. Greenwald’s said that there are more leaks coming but he’s never said anything about IDing Americans in the field being part of it. Andy Levy flagged this part of King’s interview, in fact, and Greenwald responded:

The perverse irony of King calling people out for enabling terrorism is that he himself, notoriously, apologized for the IRA for years. Read this Michael Moynihan piece at Reason from 2011 noting that King has never really repented for it either. I’ll leave you with this, also from Moynihan, to add a little extra nuance to King’s own liberty/security calculus:

Comments

Is there an online place to b*tchslap this azzhole?

Liam on June 12, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Not helpful, Pete.

vityas on June 12, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Too many former IRA-fundraising RINOs from NY have become Stasi agents on this NSA thing.

Resist We Much on June 12, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Dingbat.

kim roy on June 12, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Authoritarian

JStew on June 12, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Portlandon: Too many Republican Senators/Congressman have become Paul Krugman/David Axelrod on this NSA thing.

portlandon on June 12, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Resist We Much on June 12, 2013 at 6:06 PM

The Democrats are worse. But not by much.

Liam on June 12, 2013 at 6:08 PM

The politicians are freaking because they’re caught with their pants down. Sign Rand Paul’s petition.

John the Libertarian on June 12, 2013 at 6:10 PM

This from the guy who didn’t said he didn’t know if he was a Republican any longer when Hurricane Sandy pork wasn’t passed right away and was ready to co-author a gun control bill with a Democrat.

rickv404 on June 12, 2013 at 6:10 PM

He’s a one man show up against CIA, if he makes one mistake we wont hear from him again. He needs support.

the_nile on June 12, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Clearly the NSA and Obama have some juicy info on the formerly conservative Rep King. Towing the government line just like he was ordered to do. FU Senator. I was conservative and believed in the constitution long before I heard of MM and the latest leaker.

Doomsday on June 12, 2013 at 6:11 PM

…Rep not Senator.

Doomsday on June 12, 2013 at 6:12 PM

‘The Bill of Rights changed the original Constitution into a new charter under which no branch of government could abridge the people’s freedoms of press, speech, religion, and assembly. Yet the Solicitor General argues and some members of the Court appear to agree that the general powers of the government adopted in the original Constitution should be interpreted to limit and restrict the specific and emphatic guarantees of the Bill of Rights adopted later. I can imagine no greater perversion of history.

Madison and the other Framers of the First Amendment, able men that they were, wrote in language they earnestly believed could never be misunderstood: ‘Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom . . . of the press. . .’ Both the history and language of the First Amendment support the view that the press must be left free to publish news, whatever the source, without censorship, injunctions, or prior restraints.

In the First Amendment, the Founding Fathers gave the free press the protection it must have to fulfill its essential role in our democracy. The press was to serve the governed, not the governors. The Government’s power to censor the press was abolished so that the press would remain forever free to censure the Government. The press was protected so that it could bare the secrets of government and inform the people. Only a free and unrestrained press can effectively expose deception in government. And paramount among the responsibilities of a free press is the duty to prevent any part of the government from deceiving the people.

In other words, we are asked to hold that, despite the First Amendment’s emphatic command, the Executive Branch, the Congress, and the Judiciary can make laws enjoining publication of current news and abridging freedom of the press in the name of ‘national security.’ The Government does not even attempt to rely on any act of Congress. Instead, it makes the bold and dangerously far-reaching contention that the courts should take it upon themselves to ‘make’ a law abridging freedom of the press in the name of equity, presidential power and national security, even when the representatives of the people in Congress have adhered to the command of the First Amendment and refused to make such a law. The Founding Fathers gave the free press the protection it must have [to] bare the secrets of government and inform the people.’

– Justice Hugo Black, writing for the majority, in New York Times Co. v United States, 403 U.S. 713 (1971)

Resist We Much on June 12, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Very Amusing!

The ones on the “right” who support infringement of our personal freedoms are all Rino’s; Rove, Perino, King, all the bushie’s etc..

The Bushies/handerons (including rino king) & Obozo are exactly the same!

Danielvito on June 12, 2013 at 6:13 PM

The idiot just keeps digging the stupid hole even deeper.

whatcat on June 12, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Saaaaaay, this PRISM thingy is pretty cool, watch what I can make these Republicans do and say……

- O’

antipc on June 12, 2013 at 6:18 PM

How long has this clown been in Congress?

Punchenko on June 12, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Peter’s another one who needs to retire.

rbj on June 12, 2013 at 6:18 PM

These old-time statist Republicans really are as tone deaf as Axelrod said they were. Lindsey Graham hasn’t said anything to piss me off in like 3 or 4 hours though. I’ll have to remember to watch Greta later to get my rage fix.

forest on June 12, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Look in the MIRROR King! Far too many Republicans have become FASCISTS that HATE the US Constitution, on this issue!

Freddy on June 12, 2013 at 6:19 PM

forest on June 12, 2013 at 6:19 PM

After watching Graham comments for most of the day, I switched off Greta last night when she brought that unconstitutional disgrace on.

Freddy on June 12, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Need it be said again?

The GOP is NOT a Conservative party. LOL – look at all their nominees for President (except for Reagan and they kicked and screamed about him).

HondaV65 on June 12, 2013 at 6:22 PM

- O’

antipc on June 12, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Puppet Republican Integrated Steering Machine

the_nile on June 12, 2013 at 6:22 PM

It is stupid to try to classify Snowden as a ” traitor”
or ” patriot” ,
because it is not about Snowden.
We should be classifying Hussein as a ” traitor” or ” patriot”.

burrata on June 12, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Doomsday on June 12, 2013 at 6:11 PM

This seems to be the M.O. of King Hussein’s apparatchiks.

Gee, wonder where they get all that dirt on people.

tru2tx on June 12, 2013 at 6:26 PM

rickv404 on June 12, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Exactly.

I used to think Pete King was OK. Maybe I wasn’t paying enough attention, or perhaps he’s changed…

bofh on June 12, 2013 at 6:27 PM

King has become a one big azzhole.

Schadenfreude on June 12, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Need it be said again?

HondaV65 on June 12, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Hi Obama Voter!

Having fun?

kim roy on June 12, 2013 at 6:30 PM

I’ll take my chances with Michael Moore over Peter King.

There. I said it. S**t just got real.

MadisonConservative on June 12, 2013 at 6:32 PM

[rickv404 on June 12, 2013 at 6:10 PM]

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. As David Brooks would say “an unmediated man”, but that’s pretty much the rule in DC not the exception.

Dusty on June 12, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I repeat – this guy is freaking crazy.

gophergirl on June 12, 2013 at 6:34 PM

I’ll take my chances with Michael Moore over Peter King.

There. I said it. S**t just got real.

MadisonConservative on June 12, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Moore is at least consistent.

Just think of the “stopped clock principle” in this situation.

kim roy on June 12, 2013 at 6:34 PM

bofh on June 12, 2013 at 6:27 PM

I think he’s changed. He was good on terrorism closer to 9/11/01 but now he’s become a taller version of Bloomberg. Eff him and all like him.

Happy Nomad on June 12, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Images: Edward Snowden Modeling Shoot Found

lolololol

stingray9813 on June 12, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Honda voted for Obama. Enjoy Adolf.

Schadenfreude on June 12, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Peter King complained in the 80s about govt eavesdropping, claiming that the FBI was opening mail sent to him from Ireland.

But hey, if you aren’t doing anything wrong you don’t have anything to worry about, right?
I mean, that’s Grahamnesty’s take on it.

questionmark on June 12, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I’ll take my chances with Michael Moore over Peter King.

There. I said it. S**t just got real.

MadisonConservative on June 12, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Moore is at least consistent.

Just think of the “stopped clock principle” in this situation.

kim roy on June 12, 2013 at 6:34 PM

funny, I said to my hubby last night, is this were the tea party and OWS meet?

Le Mis

MontanaMmmm on June 12, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Puppet Republican Integrated Steering Machine

the_nile on June 12, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Heh, I think you nailed it.

antipc on June 12, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Really, Pete? You know,I don have feelings. Something in your phone calls or emails you’re afraid might get out, Pete?

Kissmygrits on June 12, 2013 at 6:38 PM

stingray9813 on June 12, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I said as soon as he identified himself that the left will smear him as “gay”, if he is or isn’t.

Schadenfreude on June 12, 2013 at 6:38 PM

The idiots in the GOP have really stepped out into the light these past few weeks.

WisCon on June 12, 2013 at 6:38 PM

funny, I said to my hubby last night, is this were the tea party and OWS meet?

Le Mis

MontanaMmmm on June 12, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Just might be. Not a bad thing, either. If there’s something in common this is one of the best.

kim roy on June 12, 2013 at 6:38 PM

So Fascists (Both Corporate & Politicians D&R) must be catching a lot of heat from the digital fanboys…

Michael Moore…really?

*facepalm*

workingclass artist on June 12, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I really hate this new key board and don’t even get me started on W8. You know, I have feelings.

Kissmygrits on June 12, 2013 at 6:40 PM

funny, I said to my hubby last night, is this were the tea party and OWS meet?

Le Mis

MontanaMmmm on June 12, 2013 at 6:37 PM

kim roy on June 12, 2013 at 6:38 PM

As long as OWS craps & rapes in the park downwind…

workingclass artist on June 12, 2013 at 6:40 PM

P-r-i-m-a-r-y.

Akzed on June 12, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I don’t see anyone smearing him as gay. I see Reuters the uber left wing news and buzzfeed as showing he was an attention whore at age 18.

stingray9813 on June 12, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Kissmygrits on June 12, 2013 at 6:40 PM

HA!

workingclass artist on June 12, 2013 at 6:40 PM

stingray9813 on June 12, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Schadenfreude on June 12, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Yet another one of those double standards the left likes to employ. I’ve never seen a bigger group of “tolerant” people toss out the gay slurs as quickly as lefties.

Andrew Breitbart used to retweet some of the most vulgar anti-gay slurs hurled at him. It still happens, of course, but no one re-tweets like Breitbart did.

kim roy on June 12, 2013 at 6:41 PM

although I know some libertarians in “hero” mode right now

What exactly has Snowden released that has hurt anyone so far? He may be a naive narcissist, or may not, but he seems cagey enough.

The only thing that I can see going wrong is if he spills to the Chinese.

But then again what might he actually know that Chinese hackers hadn’t already thought of?

flicker on June 12, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Michael Moore…really?
*facepalm*
workingclass artist on June 12, 2013 at 6:39 PM

King is right. A lot of you sheep are sanctifying Bradley Manning’s bosom buddy.

bluegill on June 12, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Heros don’t run. They take the consequence of their actions.

Faramir on June 12, 2013 at 6:42 PM

bluegill on June 12, 2013 at 6:41 PM

King is wrong, idjit. Read the bloody case that I cited above.

Oh, and FOAD.

Resist We Much on June 12, 2013 at 6:42 PM

funny, I said to my hubby last night, is this were the tea party and OWS meet?

Le Mis

MontanaMmmm on June 12, 2013 at 6:37 PM

We were never far apart, when our liberty was assured. Take away liberty, and we become one thing:

Radicals.

MadisonConservative on June 12, 2013 at 6:43 PM

workingclass artist on June 12, 2013 at 6:40 PM

lol…I just want the politicians crapping themselves.

MontanaMmmm on June 12, 2013 at 6:45 PM

bluegill on June 12, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Your new name is Vichy.

MadisonConservative on June 12, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I’ll take my chances with Michael Moore over Peter King.

There. I said it. S**t just got real.

MadisonConservative on June 12, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Thanks Dude…now I have soda allover the keyboard. The Levin was an especially deft touch.

KUDOS

*snicker*

workingclass artist on June 12, 2013 at 6:45 PM

P-r-i-m-a-r-y.

Akzed on June 12, 2013 at 6:40 PM

True the Vote.

Card ballots, blue fingers, photo IDs and recounts.

No hackable or pre-programmable computer voting machines — purchased from foreign companies.

Without this no election will ever mean anything.

flicker on June 12, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Michael Moore…really?
*facepalm*
workingclass artist on June 12, 2013 at 6:39 PM

bluegill on June 12, 2013 at 6:41 PM

The story is not Snowden.

Try again…Troll

workingclass artist on June 12, 2013 at 6:47 PM

There are two Republican representatives named King: Steve King and this moron.

bw222 on June 12, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Radicals.

MadisonConservative on June 12, 2013 at 6:43 PM

repeated from this morning.

Sooooo, I had a phone conversation with my sis about my mom’s health and maybe needing a walk in bath as she hates showers…
And the next day had a spam email advertisement for walk in tubs.
Should I be worried?

MontanaMmmm on June 12, 2013 at 12:06 PM

MontanaMmmm on June 12, 2013 at 6:49 PM

ytraP drihT

mjbrooks3 on June 12, 2013 at 6:50 PM

ytraP drihT

mjbrooks3 on June 12, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Insure a true vote first.

flicker on June 12, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Noitulover.

MadisonConservative on June 12, 2013 at 6:52 PM

i’d be way more impressed with either of the establishment parties if this country wasn’t in such dire shape. They can chatter all the want about this or that, but the truth is that they are always behind the curve.

i am sympathetic to King, esp given 9/11. But, first, this is hardly the first breach of national security in history…and i think many of them have been way more harmful.

But this breach attacks the trust issue…it is a domestic issue…and that is what we need to talk about. Barry prances around and takes credit for everything good…to listen to him we’ve won the war…there is no GWOT. Right. Then what’s the Big Data for barry?

out ‘betters’ better start some trust building here at home.

And, btw, I know that barry is tossing little crumbs and will soon have a PR campaign to say he’s cleaned up the rogue elements of the government who have done some bad things…another end-zone dance

r keller on June 12, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Stopped being amazed at how many of these guys are apart of the Giuliani-Chertoff Security nexus.

You know who I want to hear from? Colin Powell.

His son was in charge of the FCC when all this started.

The old man is ta-ta’s deep in this insanity.

budfox on June 12, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Well, he’s from New York and he’s a Republican, it’s obvious he doesn’t know whether to sh!t or go blind.

Cindy Munford on June 12, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Every step you take
Every move you make
Obama’s and King’s Stasi will be watching you

Every word you say
Every night and day
Obama’s and King’s Stasi will be watching you

VorDaj on June 12, 2013 at 7:18 PM

The NSA is the biggest scandal of them all. Spying on Americans in mass, treating them like subjects, like potential enemies of the state who must be watched and watched and watched some more. The East German Stazi had nothing on the NSA. Anyone who does not understand this knows nothing about America’s Bill of Rights and Government of the people, by the people and for the people – nothing.

VorDaj on June 12, 2013 at 7:18 PM

“If I know every single phone call you made I’m able to determine every single person you talk to. I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. The real question here is what do they do with this information they collect that does not have anything to do with Al-Qaeda? And we’re going to trust the president and the vice president of the United States that they’re doing the right thing. Don’t count me in on that.“

- Joe Biden, 2006

But, we’re supposed to trust this administration. No thanks.

Resist We Much on June 12, 2013 at 7:21 PM

” … but their countries were not free, nor can any country remain free under such despotic power. Some of the current worship of powerful executives may come from those who admire strength and accomplishment of any sort. Others hail the display of Presidential strength … simply because they approve of the result reached by the use of power. This is nothing less than the totalitarian philosophy that the end justifies the means…. IF EVER THERE WAS A PHILOSOPHY OF GOVERNMENT TOTALLY AT WAR WITH THAT OF THE FOUNDING FATHERS, IT IS THIS ONE
- Barry Goldwater

VorDaj on June 12, 2013 at 7:21 PM

flicker on June 12, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Ace makes some good points on this.

a capella on June 12, 2013 at 7:31 PM

bluegill on June 12, 2013 at 6:41 PM

You calling anyone a “sheep” is just so precious. Bless your little ol’ establishment heart.

iwasbornwithit on June 12, 2013 at 7:40 PM

kim roy on June 12, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Could you post any anti-gay remarks in that article or by anyone please?

stingray9813 on June 12, 2013 at 7:41 PM

As long as OWS craps & rapes in the park downwind…

workingclass artist on June 12, 2013 at 6:40 PM

srsly, no joke.

TO THE NSA DEMO ORGANIZERS,
Wall off 2 separate areas for the national mall demonstration. And also, separate the Porta Potties, PLEASE!

BoxHead1 on June 12, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Bradley Manning’s bosom buddy.

bluegill on June 12, 2013 at 6:41 PM

You keep saying that as though it is true.

Yet, you offer NO proof (which I asked you for the other day) that Snowden and manning have EVER met – much less are great pals.

Since you offer no proof…I suppose that it’s safe to assume that you have none.

And that you are just a liar. You really are Nellie Olsen come to life, aren’t you?
And a nasty, scared little RINO/leftist.

Solaratov on June 12, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Wacko-bird.

Oxymoron on June 12, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Translation:

Hey you right wing nut jobs, just shut up and mind your place. We know what’s best for you.

Conservative by choice. Republican by necessity.

WryTrvllr on June 12, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Say, Rep. King, do you collect INTEL on people you judge to be guilty or innocent? Because, right now, all Americans are having info collected on them for beyond INTEL purposes by the government… do you do this to the innocent?

ajacksonian on June 12, 2013 at 8:22 PM

See it is hard to complain about Snowden lying or hurting the U.S. when you have congressmen lying and hurting the U.S…..

What are there different standards?

William Eaton on June 12, 2013 at 8:29 PM

What are there different standards?

William Eaton on June 12, 2013 at 8:29 PM

“Shut up, you!” he explained

Solaratov on June 12, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Haven’t listened to a word King has said since his vote against impeaching BJ Clinton.

Whiterock on June 12, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Could you post any anti-gay remarks in that article or by anyone please?

stingray9813 on June 12, 2013 at 7:41 PM

What? Did I say there were? I was responding to Schad’s comment about what I took to mean a variation on the usual old “nuts and sluts” that will come from the left.

Not sure what you are getting at. Perhaps you should read the comment I responded to and then mine again carefully.

kim roy on June 12, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Maybe he meant Trevor Moore?

Omega_Rage on June 12, 2013 at 10:09 PM

I kinda wish Peter King and Lindsey Graham could disappear up each other’s backsides.

alchemist19 on June 13, 2013 at 2:45 AM

Too many Peter Kings have become Quislings. Maybe they shoul someday meet the same fate.

Old Country Boy on June 13, 2013 at 8:43 AM

I don’t care if they have an “R” or a “D” by their names. With very few exceptions, it’s us vs. them.

They … all of them … are the State – and theirs is to lord over us.

Why?

Because they have the fu&@ing power and, therefore, they fu&@ing can – for as long as the People will let them.

That’s why.

America is on the brink of the police state and tyranny.

OhEssYouCowboys on June 13, 2013 at 1:07 PM