Gallup: Bush’s favorable rating now net positive for first time since 2005

posted at 6:01 pm on June 11, 2013 by Allahpundit

He’s not quite at a majority but he’s almost there at 49 percent. According to a Quinnipiac poll taken a few weeks ago, Obama’s favorable rating is … 48 percent.

Second look at compassionate conservatism?

gwb

Dubya’s favorable rating still lags far behind the numbers for his four predecessors, all of whom top 60 percent. (Reagan tops 70 percent.) How’s he doing it? With a double-digit bump among all groups — even Democrats, 24 percent of whom now view him favorably versus just 14 percent who did three years ago. Interestingly, while still sky-high at 84 percent, Republican support has actually dropped three points since 2010. You can take that as good news or bad news if you’re a libertarian — good news because it might represent a small but growing backlash to big-spending neoconservatism, bad news because Dubya’s still well above 80 percent among the party base you’re trying to convince to vote for Rand Paul.

When I first glanced at the graph, I figured there was an obvious explanation: Democrats, chastened by the NSA revelations this week and pressured by partisanship into supporting O, have come to realize that Bush wasn’t the singular evil on civil liberties they thought he was. A fine theory, but incorrect. Gallup conducted its poll from June 1 to 4; the first big revelation about NSA data-mining of domestic calls on Verizon didn’t pop until June 5. It may be that Bush’s numbers would move even higher if you re-polled this again today, precisely for the reason I just gave, but the NSA stuff isn’t priced into today’s data. As it is, I think two things are happening. One: Dubya’s remained gracious and low-key as an ex-president, and his occasional recent cameos in the public eye — talking about painting, opening the Bush library with praise from Obama — have taken a little of the hard partisan edge off of the way people see him. Two: After a solid month of Scandalmania and a big speech from President Dronestrike about his body count in Pakistan and Yemen, there’s less of a contrast between Hopenchange and the administration that preceded it. Those who disliked Bush but never quite hated him like the left did might conclude for various reasons that he’s less to blame for some of his failings than they thought — maybe because they’ve concluded that Obama isn’t to blame for the scandals currently besieging him or maybe because they’ve been nudged by O towards a more Bushian view of subjects like foreign intervention. When the guy you’re stuck with is doing badly, it’s only natural to feel a little nostalgic for what came before. Even for a guy whose approval rating sunk to the low 30s.

Comments

Bush begat Obama.

Never forget.

faraway on June 11, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Second look at compassionate conservatism?

Nope. How about a first look at small government conservatism?

rbj on June 11, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Hahahahahahahahaha!

Alrighty. Anyone want to make bets on how long it’ll be until Obama’s gives the: “Why I Admire, Imitate, and Am Just Like Bush” speech?

Stoic Patriot on June 11, 2013 at 6:07 PM

If so, it is entirely undeserved.

rickv404 on June 11, 2013 at 6:07 PM

One thing Dubya can never change about himself, he’s not a clean and articulate black dude, and that trumps everything.

Bishop on June 11, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Bush begat Obama.

Never forget.

faraway on June 11, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Yep.

Curtiss on June 11, 2013 at 6:09 PM

If so, it is entirely undeserved.

rickv404 on June 11, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Remember so much of this is about relativity. Look what we got now.

Oh and I’d think you would at least give GW some love for fighting AIDS. He helped save millions.

CW on June 11, 2013 at 6:11 PM

One poll you won’t hear about on CNN or msdnc….that just won’t do

cmsinaz on June 11, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Bush begat Obama.

Never forget.

faraway on June 11, 2013 at 6:06 PM

And Brady Tebow.

CW on June 11, 2013 at 6:11 PM

There are no future elections with Obama on the ticket

drivingtheview on June 11, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Schadenfreudelicious.

Although, the possibility that Bush helped PRISM along isn’t doing much for his image in my eyes.

MadisonConservative on June 11, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Second look at compassionate conservatism?

Sure.

OK, second look completed. It still sucks!!!

SagebrushPuppet on June 11, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Bush’s Fault.

Bmore on June 11, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Bush begat Obama.

Never forget.

faraway on June 11, 2013 at 6:06 PM

meh…I think it had more to do with the reds masquerading as newsmen tearing him down for 8 years.

crrr6 on June 11, 2013 at 6:14 PM

According to today’s Gallup poll, Obama is at 47-44.

Resist We Much on June 11, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Although I am happy to see finally see Pope Jugears starting to nosedive.

SagebrushPuppet on June 11, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Screw polls, and forget Bush.

I believe he’s basically a decent man, generally speaking. I’ll never forget the look on his face when he told we were under attack 9/11/01. He was shocked and, if I dare say, hurting inside.

I’m convinced Obama would have shrugged it off for hours, instead of how liberals ragged of Bush taking seven minutes to let a child finish reading from a storybook before he got on the move.

Bush has done the best thing a past president can do: stay out of the limelight. Unlike Carter and Clinton, who keep trying to make themselves an event.

Without disrespecting the man, I prefer it that way. And he no longer matters in the greater scheme of things.

Liam on June 11, 2013 at 6:16 PM

NO NO NO!

Allah…this is mushroom cloud-worthy.

In fact, it rates the Castle-Bravo shot for a pic.

BobMbx on June 11, 2013 at 6:22 PM

I’m convinced Obama would have shrugged it off for hours,
Liam on June 11, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Vegas Baby!!!

CW on June 11, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Bush begat Obama.

Never forget.

faraway on June 11, 2013 at 6:06 PM

No, Obama is the result of two Senators…Juan McCain, and one of the Dead Kennedys.

BobMbx on June 11, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Well, when comparing what (traitor, liar, sociopath, narcissist, thin-skinned, amateur who doesn’t know what he’s doing, 5y/o) is in office now, Bush’s critics really don’t have that much to say anymore.

I’m not surprised.

avagreen on June 11, 2013 at 6:25 PM

The Bush family really F—- up the Republican party. Their brand of big government compassionate neo-conservatism is what started the country on a downward spiral. No more Bushes ever.

Raquel Pinkbullet on June 11, 2013 at 6:26 PM

The Obama administration is a three-ring circus with too many clown cars and waaaaay too many clowns.

Philly on June 11, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Bush had his faults but the guy has morals.

Which is more than I can say for the current occupant of the WH.

gophergirl on June 11, 2013 at 6:27 PM

According to today’s Gallup poll, Obama is at 47-44.

Resist We Much on June 11, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I still can’t fathom how Obama is above 30% in ANY poll.

hopeful on June 11, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Hey! It Booosh’s fault for showing up Obama in pretty much every category.

Galt2009 on June 11, 2013 at 6:28 PM

According to today’s Gallup poll, Obama is at 47-44.

Resist We Much on June 11, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Hmmm. There’s that 47% again…..

Raquel Pinkbullet on June 11, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I still can’t fathom how Obama is above 30% in ANY poll.

hopeful on June 11, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I really believe that Obama’s floor is 40%. Even if he kills someone on live tv. This is what you get from 40 years of brainwashing in government schools by union hacks.

Raquel Pinkbullet on June 11, 2013 at 6:30 PM

This is the “idiot” that averaged 5% unemployment right?

Wagthatdog on June 11, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Bush begat Obama.

Never forget.

faraway on June 11, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Not entirely. The left and its 40+ years of indoctrination and dumbing down aided and abetted by a willing population as well as a media that covers up had a lot to do with it as well.

Bush was just unfortunate enough to be the last R previous. This was going to happen inevitably – an incompetent socialist president who has been dragged along way past the Peter Principle due to leftist agendas (affirmative action, “diversity”, white guilt, etc).

kim roy on June 11, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Vegas Baby!!!

CW on June 11, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Actually, I think if another 9/11 were to occur, Obama would go into hiding. His location would not be revealed for days, and he wouldn’t make on-camera statements for a week.

Benghazi tells us all about Obama when a crisis erupts when the President of the United States is needed and necessary for We the People.

Liam on June 11, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Screw polls, and forget Bush.

Liam on June 11, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Obama would have blamed it on budget cuts to security at airports by Republicans. I don’t think there’s any doubt about it.

Wagthatdog on June 11, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Look who else hates Obamacare: PBS.

Philly on June 11, 2013 at 6:35 PM

ObamaCare fires another round at the US economy.

BobMbx on June 11, 2013 at 6:40 PM

well, i guess i am an outlier. My approval of W has been going down in the last several years. But it is still higher than barry’s…so there’s that

r keller on June 11, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Bush had his faults but the guy has morals.
Which is more than I can say for the current occupant of the WH.
gophergirl on June 11, 2013 at 6:27 PM

I think a lot of people (myself included) didn’t fight as hard as might otherwise be the case when things like the Patriot Act rolled around because:
A – The war on terror was a heck of a lot more active back then.
B – Bush has morals.

The new administration, not so much.

WitchDoctor on June 11, 2013 at 6:42 PM

O/T Amnesty Salesman on C-span 2 TV are re-playing some of earlier Imm. debates. Rubio on now.

bluefox on June 11, 2013 at 6:41 PM

bluefox on June 11, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Bush begat Obama.

Never forget.

faraway on June 11, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Sorry. Comparing apples to bowling balls.

If anything. Bush was a good example of what a flawed President should look like….and as such he’s a better man.

God Bless, GWB: I didn’t agree with everything, but damnit sir, you were okay in my book.

BlaxPac on June 11, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Wagthatdog on June 11, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Far as I’m concerned, Obama rates less than a past President who has the dignity to keep his mouth shut.

Liam on June 11, 2013 at 6:47 PM

It annoys the left that their king was revealed to be “Bushhitler” and “Bushchimpey”, on steroids.

It annoys the R oafs from DC that they’ve been ratted out.

I would laugh hysterically if this all were not so devastating to the entire world, not the outing, the what they do.

McConnell is also a big fool.

Your master Lords, from both sides. Send them packing, pronto.

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2013 at 6:51 PM

And NO, Bush is NOT missed. To Hades with him and Obama, Boehner, Reid and McConnell too.

DC is full of rats. Send them running.

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Bush begat Obama.

Never forget.

faraway on June 11, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Please. They’re not even the same species.

Ronnie on June 11, 2013 at 6:55 PM

From 2001 through 2006 the GOP had control of the Presidency and both Houses of Congress for the first time since 1932. They could have accomplished so much, but they chose to keep the country headed down the path to ruin and increase the debt.

Bush43 was a horrid president. Not as bad as Obama, but still horrid. Reagan’s greatest mistake wasn’t amnesty; it was selecting Bush41 as his running mate. Were it not for Reagan’s choice, the Bush Dynasty probably would have never been.

bw222 on June 11, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Dont give in to the revisionist history, here. Bush wasnt perfect and did spend too much, BUT was working on deficit reduction his second term. He was actually accomplishing this until the Dems took control of everything and spent like drunken sailors, holding the war funding hostage. And Bush didnt give us Obama. The corrupt media did.

Jack_Burton on June 11, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Yes! Send them ALL away! Bring on the Paulbots with their powdered wigs and lack of personal hygene products!

/sarc

DC is full of rats. Send them running.

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Really? You want people like Biden or Pelosi in the PRIVATE sector?

No thanks…things are bad enough, but that would turn all 57 states in Greece…or California.

:shudder:

BlaxPac on June 11, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Buyers Remorse?

Bob's Kid on June 11, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Bush is the reason we have Obama and the Surveillance state we have today. He can go straight to Hell as far as I’m concerned.

Mr. Arrogant on June 11, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Bush wasn’t perfect by a long shot but he was attempting to be a leader. The rat-eared tyrant? Not so much. He’s done nothing but campaign for items on the radical anti-American liberal (read Democrat) wish list. And all the shortcuts made during the first term are coming back to haunt the worthless bastard now. He doesn’t do well when he has to stick around for the consequences of his shuck and jive routine.

Happy Nomad on June 11, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Really? You want people like Biden or Pelosi in the PRIVATE sector?

BlaxPac on June 11, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Yes I do. Wal-mart always needs a few more greeters (though Pelosi might scare the children so maybe she should work in the stock room).

They are unqualified for a private sector jobs that you are suggesting.

Happy Nomad on June 11, 2013 at 7:36 PM

IMO, I was not a fan of some of the stuff Bush did.

On the other hand, I knew the man ment the best. You have to recall all the media did and liberals to tear this man apart. In fact liberals rolled him on a few things because of the pressure…

Anyways, I would have takin Bush over mittens and McCain. If you blame Obama on Bush, sorry but look at who you so called conservatives tossed out there.. a guy WORSE then Bush at the height of the hate, THEN you give Mittens who was just as BAD and McCain if not worse. Now you wanna put Flubio on the ticket next cycle?

I have said time and time again over the last 4+ years that the image of Bush will soon be cleared up. What helps is now Americans are starting to see the mask slippage of liberals and they dont like it. The question is, will there be enough out there to outdo the takers ?

watertown on June 11, 2013 at 7:42 PM

President Bush made his fair share of mistakes but I always knew he was trying to do the right thing. I never questioned his love of country.

Obama on the other hand….

HotAirian on June 11, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Really? You want people like Biden or Pelosi in the PRIVATE sector?

BlaxPac on June 11, 2013 at 7:24 PM

There’s a reason people like Biden and Pelosi are career politician in the first place.

Unless they owned the company, they’d get $hit canned in a week.

And if they did own the company, it’d be tit$ up in 6 months.

BigWyo on June 11, 2013 at 7:45 PM

I don’t know…. there’s just something about Bush… Oh, yeah… I remember what it was, He loved his Country.

That’s what is missing in the Obama presidency.

Key West Reader on June 11, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Even for a guy whose approval rating sunk to the low 30s.

Exactly where Oblamer would be if not for the teflon-coated race card, cool culture voter pool and kneepad media

hillsoftx on June 11, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Bush and his minion Chertoff called me a racist because I was against immigration reform. Unforgivable IMO.

Mr. Arrogant on June 11, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Mr. Arrogant on June 11, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Bush was a Statesman. Obama is a Statist. Look it up.

/Thanks for your concerntrolling. Very entertaining.

Key West Reader on June 11, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Regardless of the things I disagreed with him on, at the heart of it, I would trust Bush in a crisis to be thinking about what’s best for the country, not himself. Obama? Not so much.

Arssanguinus on June 11, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Lindsey Graham was Bush’s BFF. Square that circle Bush lovers.

Mr. Arrogant on June 11, 2013 at 7:54 PM

My posts are being eaten.

Oh, well.

Key West Reader on June 11, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Oops, my bad. Sowwy.

Key West Reader on June 11, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Liam on June 11, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Obama doesn’t matter. President Jarrett would be on it in a flash.

trigon on June 11, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I miss Dubya!!!..:)

Dire Straits on June 11, 2013 at 8:02 PM

President Jarrett would be on it in a flash.

trigon on June 11, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Valerie Jarrett. The Iranian.

Key West Reader on June 11, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Bush begat Obama.

Never forget.

faraway on June 11, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Yup. Obama is Bush’s legacy. Bush turned the other cheek to the Left for eight years then pre-Socialized the economy. Fighting the clusterf*ck that’s Obama shouldn’t evoke nostalgia for Bush but rather strengthen the determination NEVER to have another Bush.

rrpjr on June 11, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Screw polls, and forget Bush.

It’s important to add that after 0dumba got done shrugging it off, he immediately would have lectured the country about how Muslims needed to be treated with great respect!

Liam on June 11, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Like many others here, I acknowledge that GWB had his faults, but unlike President Choom, he loved his country greatly, was not an egotist, and was not divisive.

Anti-Control on June 11, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I hate to keep explaining this, but none of the Democrat voters care about this issue.

Abuse of power? What’s power for, anyway? We won the election, didn’t we?

The IRS should target conservatives, the EPA should give freebies to enviro groups, the DOJ should have Obama’s back, anyway it’s certainly no worse than when the Republicans give rich people tax cuts andthen try to balance the budget on the backs of the poor.

And that’s why Obama’s approval is at 48% despite running the most corrupted government since FDR. Hell, at least under Truman the IRS was just taking bribes.

TallDave on June 11, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Bush begat Obama.

Never forget.

faraway on June 11, 2013 at 6:06 PM

rrpjr on June 11, 2013 at 8:19 PM

*face palm*..

Dire Straits on June 11, 2013 at 8:26 PM

LOL….no thanks…she’d scare all the warehouse rats onto the sales floor…and Uncle Joe would take shotgun ammo off the shelf to get rid of them…and miss

They are unqualified for a private sector jobs that you are suggesting.

Happy Nomad on June 11, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Hell I wouldn’t hire ‘em if they were the CEO’s son/daughter.

BlaxPac on June 11, 2013 at 8:26 PM

BUSHES…..Enemies of limited government Conservatism.

Bush 43 gave us feeling up Granny at TSA checkpoints so his Saudi buddies wouldn’t be offended.

Say how much money did the Saudis give to the new Bush library???

And how about that never ending war in Afghanistan to prop up a bunch of third world thugs in Opium land?

Miss me yet?…….NO X 1,000

PappyD61 on June 11, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I miss Dubya.

nicktjacob on June 11, 2013 at 8:37 PM

I miss Dubya. Best Commander in Chief in all my years.

hawkdriver on June 11, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Bush is not the reason we have obama.

hawkdriver on June 11, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Bush is not the reason we have obama.

hawkdriver on June 11, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Hear!..Hear!..:)

PS..Great to see you posting..:)

Dire Straits on June 11, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Patriot Act.

TARP.

Chief Justice John Roberts.

Yeah, you guys go ahead and miss Dumbya if you want to.

SagebrushPuppet on June 11, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Obama on the other hand….

HotAirian on June 11, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Agreed.

———-

As for those blaming Bush for Obama’s misuse of the Patriot Act, mightn’t we just as well blame IBM, Bell Laboratories, Microsoft, et al for all the electronic stuff they created that allows for this un-Constitutional surveillance under the Obummer administration?

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 11, 2013 at 9:12 PM

*face palm*..

Dire Straits on June 11, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Struck mute in the face of unassailable truth.

Bush (and his type) provided the perfect ecology for the Left to thrive in America. He didn’t lift a finger in eight years to counter the Narratives (indeed, even sent out the message that we were not going to fight them or the Left, out of some dry-drunk fervor not to “be like them” that represented the misguided Christian obverse of the Left’s virulence).

And in his final year he essentially went out of his way to make it easier for Obama.

rrpjr on June 11, 2013 at 9:13 PM

hawkdriver on June 11, 2013 at 8:55 PM </blockquot

Spot on. Bush isn't the reason we got stuck with Prez Hollywood: that happened from the fact we have dumbed down the populace to the point where we are now.

Bush wasn't great…BUT he was head n shoulders above the last 5 years now…and while McCain and Romney weren't stalwart Conservatives….does anyone here believe Obama is any MORE sypatetic to our cause?

BlaxPac on June 11, 2013 at 9:18 PM

It will just get better. Look at the LOSER they have now!

GarandFan on June 11, 2013 at 9:32 PM

rrpjr on June 11, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Dubyah was not a “grenade thrower”..I agree he should have fought back..But Dubyah is not the reason we have Obie..:)

Dire Straits on June 11, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Struck mute in the face of unassailable truth.

Bush (and his type) provided the perfect ecology for the Left to thrive in America. He didn’t lifta fingerin eight years to counter the Narratives (indeed, even sent out the message that we were not going to fight them or the Left, out of some dry-drunk fervor not to “be like them” that represented the misguided Christian obverse of the Left’s virulence).

rrpjr on June 11, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Ummmm, okay.

If that was the case: even accepting you explanation for Obama first term in office, how are you going to explaint the SECOND year?

A poor economy; hard grownth if any, 2 wars still on the table….just saying that Bush led to Obama is no different than listening the the Progs bleat the same tune.

Hell its the same tune the so-called ‘Libertarians’ were playing when they tried (again, unsucessfully) to stick us with Dr. No and Gary Johnzzzzzz…..and look at all the votes and seats those two has-beens got….oh wait.

Anyway, Bush wasn’t perfect. We all get that, but no way you can sit there and say with a straight face he’s on the same level as THIS crowd….not even on his worst day…which btw was when he signed Medicaid Part D into law…

BlaxPac on June 11, 2013 at 9:45 PM

As rabidly anti-Bush as the media was, so they became rabidly pro-Obama. They sold a shallow and foolish American public on the evil, tyrannical bent of a kind, decent, God-fearing, America-loving president and followed that by selling them on the goodness and trustworthiness of a lying, cheating, thin-skinned, responsibility-shirking, corrupt, endlessly self-promoting, Chicago-politics hack of a candidate with more dubious connections than your average felon.

Sure, Bush could’ve done more to fight the image the media presented of him, but he couldn’t do anything about the image the media put out there about Obama. And let’s face it–the fix was in. The people who railed against all the horrible wrongs committed by Bush don’t seem to care about Obama’s transgressions…which makes it seem like they would’ve hated Bush no matter what and would’ve totally dismissed his defenses of his presidency and/or ramped up their attacks against him.

And even with the media 100% on Obama’s side and two of the worst presidential nominees ever (okay–maybe not ever, but McCain and Romney were truly, truly bad), Republicans still might have won if those two terrible candidates hadn’t essentially given up and handed the elections to Obama. (And actually–there will always be a huge question mark, for me, hanging over the 2012 elections, given all we now know about the previously unthinkable lengths Obama and his minions are apparently willing to go to to gain and/or retain power.)

So, no–Obama is not Bush’s fault. The blame belongs squarely at the feet of 1. the media (full of people, I might add, who are still doing their darnedest to cover for the egregious corruption daily on display by Obama’s administration–and meeting with surprising and sickening success among the LIVs) and 2. the absolute morons who are running the Republican Party (and spending more time fighting their own people than fighting the Democrats!).

End of rant.

Oh, wait…no. If we’re blaming Bush for Chief Justice Roberts, then we better be fair and steam and stew over the “terrible” president who gave us Sandra Day O’Connor and Anthony Kennedy. (*cough* Reagan *cough*)

Now…end of rant.

butterflies and puppies on June 11, 2013 at 10:08 PM

What infuriates me about W is that he NEVER DEFENDS HIMSELF! This is what the Repubs do. The Dems throw mud and the Rs response is crickets. His poll numbers would never have tanked if he would have defended himself.

neyney on June 11, 2013 at 10:14 PM

BlaxPac on June 11, 2013 at 9:45 PM

I never remotely said that. The misinterpetations of this critique of Bush are impressive.

I’ve said from the beginning only that he was completely unequipped to fight the Left, which in fact loves a vacuum, and that this dereliction enabled the Left to grow and prosper in ways which proved seriously damaging to the country (undermining the war effort with the wildest slanders and lies that effectively went unanswered, for one) and led to a freak like Obama even having a chance at the presidency. Even Harry Truman understood the Left better than Bush. The Left is an opportunistic infection which needs constant engagement and for a Republican in the modern era — the party leader and president no less — not to understand this is a political moral failing. Bush failed to realize that the attacks against him — unanswered and unchallenged at almost every turn — were in fact attacks against conservatism, the GOP, America, and the whole panoply of political, moral and economic principles we value. Bush’s nonfeasance and non-partisan pacifism led to an increasingly arrogant and audacious Leftist culture. Hence, Obama. Bush’s non-responsiveness was not virtuous or patriotic. Bush had zero understanding of the deep threat of the Left in America, and zero interest in fighting it.

Good honorable man, total gentleman, loved his country. But he was either clueless or deliberately uninterested in the larger ideological battle raging around him.

The point shouldn’t be to compare Bush and Obama, but to envision a republican who can vigorously confront the Left.

rrpjr on June 11, 2013 at 10:26 PM

neyney on June 11, 2013 at 10:14 PM

It’s a Karl Rove thing.

Vince on June 11, 2013 at 10:26 PM

rrpjr on June 11, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Until recently people who have spent their lives in politics believe it’s a gentleman’s game and whoever is involved in it is a comrade. They believe there is a regular order to things, and these young whippersnappers are rude and pushy.

Obama has been lying, instigating and cheating his whole life using his 1/2 race to get ahead. Others have used and enabled him and gotten wealthy or gotten away with murder. It’s no contest, especially with the media behind them.

Vince on June 11, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2013 at 6:53 PM

PappyD61 on June 11, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Haters gonna hate…

thebrokenrattle on June 11, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Second look at compassionate conservatism?

Well, it beats fatherly fascism.

flipflop on June 13, 2013 at 5:16 AM