Video: Jorge Bonilla launches Congressional bid against Grayson

posted at 10:41 am on June 10, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Who, you might ask, is Jorge Bonilla?  He’s a veteran of the US Navy, and his family originally comes from Puerto Rico.  He is also a conservative blogger at The Shark Tank with my friend Javier Manjarres (a fellow recipient of CPAC’s Blogger of the Year award), and a two-time contributor to Hot Air’s Green Room as well.  The 42-year-old activist gets an early start on the 2014 cycle with this announcement in the district that just returned Alan Grayson to Congress:

Hello, my name is Jorge Bonilla and I am proud to announce that I am running to represent you in Florida’s 9th Congressional District.

I’m running because as a new father, I am deeply concerned about the direction that our country is headed in. Our current leadership is projecting weakness to our enemies abroad, and overt hostility to our most cherished allies.

At home we are beset by scandal, after scandal, after scandal, all of which arise out of a government that has run out of control and is seemingly unaccountable to ‘we the people.’

The central question of the 2014 election is this, are we the people still capable of self-rule, or do we abandon the American revolution and concede that a small connected elite from Washington, D.C. and New York, is better capable of running are lives than we are ourselves.

This is America guys. We can do better. We must do better, and we will do better.

I know the road ahead is tough, but if you join me I know that we can work hard to restore America’s promise, and secure America’s future.

I thank you for your support. God bless you, and God bless the United States of America.

Javier follows up with his own post this morning:

During the 2012 Republican primary election, Grayson and the Democratic Party’s House Majority PAC, pumped in a combined $1.2 million to defeat the Republican frontrunner in the race, John Quinones. Quinones, a Puerto Rican, was positioning himself to cause Grayson a substantial headache in the general election. That is why he and the House Majority PAC decided to attack him, in hopes that it would make it easier for Grayson to face the weaker Todd Long in the general election.

Their dirty trick worked, but this isn’t the first time Grayson tried underhanded tricks to win an election. During his campaign against Congressman Webster, Grayson was said to have put up a phony ‘Tea Party’ candidate in an effort to take votes away from Webster. Grayson failed.

Here is what I expect will happen. Grayson will not be able to hold himself back from attacking Bonilla, whether personally or through proxies. In addition, Grayson will probably try to plant a couple candidates in the Republican primary in an effort to siphon votes away from Bonilla, and/or team up with Democratic PAC’s to funnel money into the race to defeat Bonilla.

I wouldn’t put it past him to try to get another Republican Hispanic or a Caucasian man or woman to run against Bonilla, or at the very least recruit some NPA’s that could take away from Bonilla in the general election. As luck would have it, not one, but two Hispanic NPA candidates dropped out and endorsed Grayson the second that Quiñones was blown out of the 2012 GOP primary.

It’s worth keeping an eye on this race.  The district has a D+4 Cook Report rating, but 42% of the electorate has Puerto Rican heritage, too.  Grayson’s nastiness and extreme politics may not succeed well if positioned against a Republican veteran of Puerto Rican heritage. Best of luck to Jorge, because this will be a tough fight in a district that Democrats will want to hold in a very rocky midterm cycle.

Update: I’ve corrected the first paragraph; Jorge’s parents met and married in Brooklyn.

Comments

Just out of curiosity, how is Alan Grayson behaving in his 2nd go around in Congress? Not that I don’t want that seat to go red, but he seems to be keeping a much lower profile this time.

Doughboy on June 10, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Good luck, we’re talking about a district that has twice elected an insane clown jackass.

Bishop on June 10, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Grayson is the real face of the DNC. Nasty and dishonest. Why they have no shame is beyond me. This may be a big deal if the RNC and Rubio get behind him, as well as keeping any other conservative off the ballot and out the planted NPA’s.

Sabercat2 on June 10, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Grayson seems to have mellowed a bit, at least in his public comments.

Mark1971 on June 10, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Bishop on June 10, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I live in Grayson’s old district. I say old because the districts were re-mapped after the 2010 election to make Grayson’s new district almost a shoe-in for him.

Also, he was put into congress in 2008 while the country was hopped up on hopenchangium then destroyed by 18 percent or so in 2010 by Webster.

Defenestratus on June 10, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Grayson seems to have mellowed a bit, at least in his public comments.

Mark1971 on June 10, 2013 at 10:58 AM

So did McCain, but only while he was running as a pretend conservative. The chameleons get over that faux virus as soon as they get re-elected. People love being told the lies they wish to hear–the ruling class’s very best weapon against democracy.

Don L on June 10, 2013 at 11:07 AM

What I hate about Grayson being in the House is that Senator Reid’s nastiness seems tame by comparison.

thuja on June 10, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I hope Bonilla and his co-workers have combed through his posts thoroughly.

Alan Grayson’s the king of sleaze, who famously turned “Don’t say, ‘she should submit to me’” into “She should submit to me.” He’s capable of anything.

KingGold on June 10, 2013 at 11:11 AM

aaahh yes, another Certifiable Democrat…the DNC must have
a Farm Team where they call up individuals….
“Yes, we need one for a Florida District who literally
stands at intersections giving the Middle finger to
passers by…you got one, Good!”

ToddPA on June 10, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Best of luck to Jorge Bonilla..

He’s running against a snake. The very worst kind of raging liar, hypocrite and pointman for the crime family the democrats have become.

There is no act too low for them to go..

God be with you.

mark81150 on June 10, 2013 at 11:15 AM

this guy is a hero!! i wish him luck…

Sachiko on June 10, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Don L on June 10, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Miss Graham has also become an expert at becoming a principled conservative in the six months before an election.

slickwillie2001 on June 10, 2013 at 11:41 AM

What’s up with all these blacks and Hispanics running for office as Republicans? Don’t they know we’re the racist party? Maybe they’re white Hispanics and white blacks…

jdpaz on June 10, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Can we indeed rule ourselves?

That is the true question.

We could when we all agreed to have one culture, language and set of values.

But now we are pitted against each other in language and culture and values that one person’s oppression is another person’s civil right.

Gay marriage being forced on churches the exact example, along with tax payer supported abortions etc.

Libertarianism is okay and all… I don’t care what other people do…but when you mix that “live and let live”, with my funding stuff I find morally degenerate, it becomes oppression to have a libertarian morality.

I just want them to leave my money and my government out of their crimes against humanity. Is that really asking so much?

petunia on June 10, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Cmon, Grayson got elected after making rape jokes. You really think anyone can unseat that type of voter bloc?

LaughterJones on June 10, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Ed has a friend who’s a conservative? Couldda fooled me. I thought all Ed’s buddies were RINOs, like the guy who fantasizes he’s a general in the Spanish Civil War.

But even if he is conservative by Ed’s standards (which might mean he’s really not all that conservative), I’ll probably donate if it looks like he has a chance because, after all, he is running against Grayson.

bw222 on June 10, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Well, we know they can’t be Hispanic Hispanics or black blacks if they are Republicans, and conservative to boot. They have to be true to their races and be loyal dems, otherwise they ain’t real.

/s

hawkeye54 on June 10, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Here is a link to Republican Jorge Bonilla’s campaign website for his Congressional race in Florida’s 9th District against Democrat Alan Grayson.

We can all help Jorge Bonilla to defeat Rep. Alan Grayson by spreading the word about the Bonilla campagn.

Clean the House and the Senate in 2014!

wren on June 10, 2013 at 4:46 PM