Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on June 5, 2013 by Allahpundit

A federal court judge has granted a temporary order that will allow 10-year-old Sarah Murnaghan, who is dying from cystic fibrosis and desperately needs new lungs, to join an adult organ transplant list

In a statement issued late Wednesday afternoon, the family said, “We are experiencing many emotions: relief, happiness, gratitude and, for the first time in months: hope.”…

The Delaware County family retained a lawyer this week and quickly filed their lawsuit, arguing the rule keeping Sarah off the list is “discriminatory.”

***

But the ruling immediately raises concerns about fairness — and the risk of more lawsuits, said Art Caplan, director of the division of medical ethics at NYU Langone Medical Center. While it’s admirable that Baylson chose to try to help Sarah and others, the decision threatens the integrity of the nation’s existing organ allocation process, he said.

Nationally, about 1,700 people are waiting for lung transplants, including 31 children 10 and younger, according to OPTN data. In Region 2, Sarah’s region, 222 people are waiting for lung transplants, including six children 10 and younger.

***

“Finally, we have some positive news for Sarah and her family,” said Sen. Toomey. “I applaud today’s ruling and am grateful to Judge Baylson for quickly issuing his decision on such an important matter.

“Now Sarah has a chance for a lung transplant, and I plan to keep fighting for her and others who deserve to be eligible. As I’ve said all along, Secretary Sebelius should use her authorities to make medical need and suitability, rather than age, be the primary criteria in determining how organ donations are prioritized. I hope this court ruling will encourage her to make this important policy change.”

***

Sixty adults with LAS scores above 50 died in 2012, while 513 received transplants. More than 400 adults with scores below 35 also received transplants, while 18 in that category died waiting.

According to Ruddock, Sarah’s doctors say she would have an LAS score of 66 if she were an adult…

Sweet said a transplant would improve Sarah’s cystic fibrosis symptoms, but lung transplants are risky. Even with the procedure, he said, her life expectancy would average three to five years. “This just buys her some time,” he said.

***

Centralized rationing (and even regionalized rationing, as is usually done with organ transplantation) in our huge country will inevitably be basically utilitarian. In the case of an organ waiting list, there is no avoiding this zero-sum problem, and moving the decision from a relatively objective system of allocation to the discretion of a cabinet secretary is a very bad idea. On what grounds is Sebelius supposed to do this? Because this poor girl’s parents figured out how to get the attention of reporters and politicians? Are people with less-savvy relatives supposed to be punished, and perhaps left to die, as a result?…

Children are on a separate list for lung transplants because transplants of adult lungs to children don’t have a great track record. If there is new evidence that should cause a rethinking of that separation (as has happened with kidney and liver transplants) then the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network, which basically functions as a federal contractor, should review its procedures. Sebelius in fact asked them for such a review, because of this case, late last month. If they end up doing it, it would have to happen in an orderly and careful way and would take some time — the children’s waiting list is not prioritized by medical need but more or less on a first-come-first-serve basis, and if children were integrated into the adult system there would have to be some criteria for comparing them to people already in that system…

Kathleen Sebelius has done a whole lot of things worth complaining about in her term at HHS, but in this instance I think she is right, and members of Congress should think very carefully about how they are using the power they have been entrusted with in pushing her to intervene.

***

We do not want to show up at the DMV and have the order in the queue determined by who can tell the manager the best sob story. The basic rule — first come, first served — does not take into consideration all the many different circumstances which might argue for why a later-arriving mom with six kids should actually cut in line, so she can make a soccer game; but the basic rule, in its bright-line simplicity, is acceptable as fair. Not always optimal — but fair.

Emotion-based appeals and emotion-based relationships are perfectly normal — and perfectly desirable — in affectionate relationships, familial relationships, friendships. But they are simply corruption and cronyism in the context of dealings with the state. Dealings with the state cannot, or at least must not, devolve into simply currying favor with bureaucratic decision-makers…

Make no mistake: We are headed for this dark and dire place where everything you wish to do is subject to a vote of the Committee of the Whole, and everything you do will therefore require appealing to the Committee of the Whole, and outright bribing them for their indulgence by offering property or services to secure their goodwill.

And it’s all by design. This is how they think the world should work.

***

***

Via Mediaite.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

On the weekends? OMG.

SparkPlug on June 6, 2013 at 1:18 AM

“Or a holiday. Or when he just feels like it.”

Axe on June 6, 2013 at 1:27 AM

SparkPlug on June 6, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Awesome..:):)

PS..Rebecca De Mornay rocks..:)

PSS..I just love her line “Just be Patient..:):):)

Dire Straits on June 6, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Alphaville – “Forever Young”

Anti-Control on June 6, 2013 at 1:27 AM

GREAT SONG!! I used to listen to that all the time.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 6, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Axe on June 6, 2013 at 1:15 AM

It’s NOT just you. I literally go forever without checking my email. I guarantee you that there are emails from my mum that she sent over 100 years a month or more ago that I’ve never read. I forget about my email for long periods of time. Such is another casualty resulting from my Lab/Cap strike.

Resist We Much on June 6, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Cozmo has a schnutz cam?

Holy Skype.

SparkPlug on June 6, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Resist We Much on June 6, 2013 at 1:29 AM

On behalf of your mum and myself, we protest!

Axe on June 6, 2013 at 1:31 AM

schnutz cam

SparkPlug on June 6, 2013 at 1:31 AM

rotflmao

Axe on June 6, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Dear Mr. Fantasy – Traffic

thatsafactjack on June 6, 2013 at 1:32 AM

omg

Axe on June 6, 2013 at 1:33 AM

On behalf of your mum and myself, we protest!

Axe on June 6, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Mum’s the word.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 6, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Axe on June 6, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Hey, Axe, I just came on a few minutes ago and saw your message about Isaiah’s Job. Thanks for the link. I’m too tired to read something that long and involved at the moment, but I’ll try to work through it tomorrow.

I do want to make one comment tonight. At first glance he doesn’t understand the biblical concept of the remnant. Being one of the remnant had and has nothing to do with who humans are, i.e., anyone’s intellect or superior qualities in any way, shape, or form, and everything to do with who God is in His covenant love, mercy, and grace. Biblical concepts or ideas should not be used unless the biblical definition is used. Otherwise you’re borrowing the weight and authority of Scripture to use for your own ideas, and it gives an unwarranted authority to your own words.

I’m not saying that he doesn’t have anything substantial to say, but he picked the wrong comparison for wherever he’s headed.

INC on June 6, 2013 at 1:33 AM

INC on June 6, 2013 at 1:33 AM

I thought you’d get something from it.

Axe on June 6, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Here’s a song for the British spellers:

Frente – Labour of Love

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 6, 2013 at 1:35 AM

On behalf of your mum and myself, we protest!

Axe on June 6, 2013 at 1:31 AM

:p

Resist We Much on June 6, 2013 at 1:35 AM

My cousin is waiting for a heart. He almost literally worked himself to death taking care of 3 kids, working nights and trying to care for his (now ex – her mom’s choice) wife who was in a car accident and became a quadriplegic. Because of his lifelong heart problems and surgeries and other things, they can’t find him one. It is so sad.

cptacek on June 6, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Axe on June 6, 2013 at 1:35 AM

OK~

Peace out!

INC on June 6, 2013 at 1:38 AM

cptacek on June 6, 2013 at 1:36 AM

So very sorry for your family’s ordeal. I wish you and your cousin the very best.

thatsafactjack on June 6, 2013 at 1:40 AM

A modern pop song by a famous secular band, mentioning Jesus positively & non-ironically?

Yep, it’s the same Aqua who did “Barbie Girl”! (I like how she pronounces “u-nee-ver-sal” :))

Aqua – “Playmate to Jesus”

Anti-Control on June 6, 2013 at 1:40 AM

SparkPlug on June 6, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Thank you Sparky.

On behalf of your mum and myself, we protest!

Axe on June 6, 2013 at 1:31 AM

“Rosie, I luv this lad” — Mum

Schadenfreude on June 6, 2013 at 1:41 AM

I Love You More Than You’ll Ever Know – Moore

I bid you all a fond goodnight. It’s been a pleasure, as always. Live in the moment.

thatsafactjack on June 6, 2013 at 1:43 AM

cptacek, how tragic for all. I hope it gets worked out, for all in the family.

Schadenfreude on June 6, 2013 at 1:43 AM

What have we learned?

1. Health care is no different from anything else. It can be organized artificially from the top town and stagnate, or naturally from the bottom up and grow.

2. Fall in love with a chick within walking distance.

OK~

Peace out!

INC on June 6, 2013 at 1:38 AM

I can’t really detail it, since you haven’t detailed it. :)

Axe on June 6, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Nite Sophie

Schadenfreude on June 6, 2013 at 1:44 AM

thatsafactjack on June 6, 2013 at 1:43 AM

As long as it’s lit. :)

Axe on June 6, 2013 at 1:45 AM

SparkPlug on June 6, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Dire Straits on June 6, 2013 at 1:28 AM

I like Rebecca too, guys, but this is a risky train ride.

(Skip up to about 0:35 to start.)

novaculus on June 6, 2013 at 1:45 AM

“It is not clear why everyone now waiting at the bottom of any transplant list would not seek relief in federal court,” Caplan said. “Unless the judge has reason to think the lung distribution rules are simply a product of age discrimination and nothing more — which seems highly unlikely — then this becomes a troubling instance of non-doctors deciding who is the best candidate to receive a lung or other scarce medical resource.”…Art Caplan, director of the division of medical ethics at NYU Langone Medical Center.

It seems that Mr. Caplan needs a course in bio-ethics.

unclesmrgol on June 6, 2013 at 1:45 AM

2. Fall in love with a chick within walking distance.

Axe on June 6, 2013 at 1:44 AM

…and be bored silly in no time…

Schadenfreude on June 6, 2013 at 1:48 AM

GREAT SONG!! I used to listen to that all the time.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 6, 2013 at 1:29 AM

I think it’s great, too (so did my ex-wife)! :)

I like this one by them a lot, too:

Alphaville – “Big In Japan”

Anti-Control on June 6, 2013 at 1:49 AM

As long as it’s lit. :)

Axe on June 6, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Schadenfreude on June 6, 2013 at 1:49 AM

…and be bored silly in no time…

Schadenfreude on June 6, 2013 at 1:48 AM

I dunno man. Some chicks just . . . don’t get boring.

Axe on June 6, 2013 at 1:50 AM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 6, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Sorry but I am going to trump that..:)

Dire Straits on June 6, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Sorry but I am going to trump that..:)

Dire Straits on June 6, 2013 at 1:50 AM

And I am going to play your trump. :) And be quiet whilst reflecting. It’s time to reflect.

Axe on June 6, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Not melted together yet?

Axe on June 5, 2013 at 10:55 PM

The regulations don’t appear to be the product of the Obama administration. The original regs were written in the 1980s and, IIRC, the rules for pulmonary transplants were last updated in 2005.

I did have another interesting thought about this tonight. When the Federal judge in NYC ruled on Plan B, he, specifically, stated that the age picked by the government was ‘arbitrary and capricious.’ Is there thatso much of a difference between a 10 and 12 year-old that ALL ten year-olds could NEVER successfully handle an adolescent or adult set of lungs? I don’t know. I’m not a doctor, but I’d be interested in the answer.

As I understand it, the regional transplant lists no longer give organs automatically to those at the top of the lists; rather, there are several criteria that are considered. One has to do with the severity of the illness. Another pertains to compatibility between donor and donee relative to size, age, gender, blood type, etc. Would it be a huge problem to add children to the adult lists? There is no guarantee that anyone, including the children, are going to receive organs. Since twice as many children on the lists die while waiting as do adults, however, would it really have that much of an effect on adolescents and adults if children were added?

Resist We Much on June 5, 2013 at 11:06 PM

One of the most disturbing things about this scenario is that Sebelius had some authority to intervene. This is the kind of thing that should be handled by medical professionals according to the best criteria available. I don’t know that there is any good answer, It would depend on so many variables, such as age of patient, prognosis after surgery, prognosis if nothing is done, compatibility, etc. A single guideline based on age doesn’t seem sound, since relative size may well make a bigger difference than age. Certainly, the girl’s doctors thought adult lungs would be just fine.

And in the end, I see absolutely no reason why finding a sympathetic judge is a better answer than hoping for a sympathetic HHS Secretary.

I would hope the ultimate responsibility would belong to medical people rather than judges and bureaucrats.

I also don’t think judges should make rulings about science or religion. They have a totally different expertise. Science changes based on current evidence, and law is based on tradition, authority, and precedence. The two are not really compatible.

There Goes the Neighborhood on June 6, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Some chicks just . . . don’t get boring.

Axe on June 6, 2013 at 1:50 AM

They’re usually not the next-doorsey kinds…

Schadenfreude on June 6, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Sorry but I am going to trump that..:)

Dire Straits on June 6, 2013 at 1:50 AM

I’ll see that and raise a
Jethro Tull – Skating Away on the Thin Ice of a New Day

And I’ll add Metric – Gold Guns Girls just for fun. Great tune.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 6, 2013 at 1:58 AM

thatsafactjack on June 6, 2013 at 1:40 AM
Schadenfreude on June 6, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Thank you both. He just went in for a mechanical pump to hold him over if they can find one. They haven’t woken him up yet from surgery a few days ago.

cptacek on June 6, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Dear Mr. Fantasy – Traffic

thatsafactjack on June 6, 2013 at 1:32 AM

What a voice he had!

Traffic – “Medicated Goo”

Anti-Control on June 6, 2013 at 2:00 AM

If you haven’t visited ThePeoplesCube yet, it’s conservative satire at its most caustic. I started frequenting the site five years ago.

Here’s an excellent sample, The Book of Progressive Chauvinism:

Perhaps, it’s time to introduce a new term to the national discourse: Progressive Chauvinism.

My empirical observations have led me to conclude that Progressive Chauvinists are almost completely devoid of self-awareness, assuming the right to control the lives of others out of confidence in their higher mission to help the welfare of less fortunate, “backward” people who have miraculously been left without any ability to govern themselves.

How is it possible to hold so many mutually exclusive beliefs?

To preach tolerance and be so intolerant? To grieve for terror victims and justify terrorism? To stand up for workers and destroy their jobs? To march for peace and defend the militants? To denounce corruption and vote for the corrupt? To espouse non-violence and commit violent acts? To speak of liberties and promote government dictate? To bolster feminism and deride successful women? To cheer gays and aid the gay-bashers in the Middle East? To champion minorities as a group and hold them down as individuals? To care about the children and condemn them to intellectual mutilation? To denounce guns and hire armed bodyguards? To support the troops and side with their murderers? To demand love and be full of hate?

John the Libertarian on June 6, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Where’d everyone go?

Myslovitz – Sound of Solitude

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 6, 2013 at 2:08 AM

I am happy because the girl might get new lungs, but I have a problem with this. For all of the angst about Obamacare, it is strange to see so many demand that a bureaucrat, Sebelius, act.

Isn’t the main concern about government-run healthcare the fact that it takes the decision-making process out of the hands of people and their doctors and gives it to government?

How is demanding that Cruella make an exception and act something that we want to do?

I happened to look at the organ transplant regulations and it is far, far, far from clear that the Secretary of HHS has the authority to overrule the transplant board, which is made up of healthcare providers (primarily doctors) involved with transplants.

Resist We Much on June 5, 2013 at 10:49 PM

This pretty much says it all. I can’t generate outrage over this. I don’t want Sebelius making such decisions.

People die on waiting lists because there aren’t enough organs available. It’s sad…but inevitable. There are multiple criteria considered, and they make every effort to make it as fair as possible.

JannyMae on June 6, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Drifting In Space

novaculus on June 6, 2013 at 2:10 AM

JannyMae on June 6, 2013 at 2:08 AM

If they paid the estates of the donors for the organs they’d get a lot more of them and there wouldn’t be such a lack of available organs. It’s odd that the only person who doesn’t get paid in an organ transplant is the only indispensable person in the whole event – the donor. Everyone else involved in a transplant operation gets paid – and most very handsomely – except for the actual donor, or the donor’s estate. They are told that it is unseemly and immoral to be paid for the organ. That is just insane and pure, unadulterated BS.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 6, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Sorry but I am going to trump that..:)

Dire Straits on June 6, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Alice Cooper – “I Love America”

Anti-Control on June 6, 2013 at 2:15 AM

Death Panels.

hawkdriver on June 6, 2013 at 3:48 AM

Power just came back on, I haven’t slept…and I leave for work in 30 minutes.
*sigh*

annoyinglittletwerp on June 6, 2013 at 4:33 AM

good monring HA

I woke up to Bill Bennett reporting breaking news that a DC IRS lawyer is responsible for some of the questions asked of the tea party groups….he’s no where to be found now natch…
is he an obama political appointee lawyer or a career gov’t lawyer…either way, targeting conservatives he’ll be a lib…
__________________________

mika apparently is more concerned with W’s waterboarding of 3 terrorists than dear leader’s drone strikes killing alot more people…

cmsinaz on June 6, 2013 at 6:28 AM

politico is gleefully reporting the gop is telling issa to ‘cool it’ he’s overreaching…self inflicted wounds…

cmsinaz on June 6, 2013 at 6:33 AM

cmsinaz on June 6, 2013 at 6:33 AM

Issa needs to the tell the Established to take a running jump. He dies not work for them. he works for us.

The history of free men is never really written by chance but by choice; their choice!- Dwight D. Eisenhower “Remembering D-Day…69 Years Later” My take.

kingsjester on June 6, 2013 at 6:43 AM

kingsjester on June 6, 2013 at 6:43 AM

i hear ya, i guess politico got their talking points from plouffe to go after issa instead of the obama administration…

cmsinaz on June 6, 2013 at 6:51 AM

That’s “Establishment”. More Diet Coke. Stat.

kingsjester on June 6, 2013 at 6:51 AM

kingsjester on June 6, 2013 at 6:43 AM

EXCELLENT TAKE KJ

cmsinaz on June 6, 2013 at 6:52 AM

cmsinaz on June 6, 2013 at 6:52 AM

Thank you, ma’am. We owe The Greatest Generation. Big Time.

kingsjester on June 6, 2013 at 6:55 AM

Death Panels.

hawkdriver on June 6, 2013 at 3:48 AM

Could have Bishop’d with that and sealed the thread.

Axe on June 6, 2013 at 6:59 AM

Power just came back on, I haven’t slept…and I leave for work in 30 minutes.
*sigh*

annoyinglittletwerp on June 6, 2013 at 4:33 AM

I’m sorry Twerp. It’s old news now, but I hate walking into days like that. :) I prayed for you when I read it. I hope your day improves!

Axe on June 6, 2013 at 7:01 AM

mika just giddy that samantha and susan are joining dear leader..

more women!! and the war on women meme continues

cmsinaz on June 6, 2013 at 7:05 AM

nbc news cannot confirm the guardian’s report on the nsa surveillancepolic
-mikay

really???

chuckie todd reports on the administration’s statement…hey don’t blame us, the legislative and judicial branches are a part of this policy as well…don’t blame me don’t blame me…

cmsinaz on June 6, 2013 at 7:14 AM

gotta blame bush….good lapdog msdnc

cmsinaz on June 6, 2013 at 7:16 AM

will nsa surveillance be the new ‘n’ word Martin?

cmsinaz on June 6, 2013 at 7:24 AM

cmsinaz on June 6, 2013 at 6:28 AM

Can you elaborate on the story about a source for the IRS questions? I am looking for one, but no luck so far. Thanks!

esr1951 on June 6, 2013 at 7:30 AM

esr1951 on June 6, 2013 at 7:30 AM

unfortunately I cannot, woke up to bill bennett this am and he said breaking news…i’ve been trying to find a linky about it with no luck…

cmsinaz on June 6, 2013 at 7:36 AM

esr1951 on June 6, 2013 at 7:30 AM

i wonder if it was a replay of an older airing of his show???

cmsinaz on June 6, 2013 at 7:42 AM

cmsinaz on June 6, 2013 at 7:36 AM

A blogger on another site has said something similar:

A name has come out attached to the Washington person who gave orders to the Cincy IRS office…breaking today

So I am thinking there may be something to this..

esr1951 on June 6, 2013 at 7:52 AM

cmsinaz on June 6, 2013 at 7:42 AM

here is is.

esr1951 on June 6, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Thanks esr

cmsinaz on June 6, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Looks like Carter Hull has earned himself a congressional subpoena. Drip, drip,

CTSherman on June 6, 2013 at 8:05 AM

John the Libertarian on June 6, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Great, thanks John.

You’ve been counted, Thought Criminal #8775701

Write down this number and report to your Kommissar at the nearest railroad station.

Don’t forget warm clothes and a shovel!

Can I bring my Verizon phone?

Fallon on June 6, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Can’t find his tweet but the inventor of the Internet is not happy about this.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

CTSherman on June 6, 2013 at 8:17 AM

…looks like the bus is rolling!

KOOLAID2 on June 6, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Happy for the family – but the judges ruling is an overreach and is wrong.

I am not sure Sebilius wasn’t right when she said she couldn’t unilaterally intervene in this circumstance. I say that with the opinion she is pure evil incarnate in human flesh. I don’t believe this is an ObamaCare situation where there are a bunch of the “HHS secreatary may…” clauses available for this situation.

While we rejoice in this 10 year old’s victory and chance at life remember this. Another person will die because of it. Why is she more valuable than someone else? That is why we try to develop guidelines so that rules can determine who gets what. The judge had no business getting involved. In addition, given her condition, which admittedly I do not know in detail, her prognosis for a long life after the surgery isn’t very good. Unless this cures her disease – I don’t think it will – she still has cystic fibrosis – and her life expectancy isn’t very promising. From an IPAB perspective – probably not the most efficient decision.

Zomcon JEM on June 6, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Happy for the family – but the judges ruling is an overreach and is wrong.

Zomcon JEM on June 6, 2013 at 8:29 AM

This is what I’ve been struggling with since I first saw this on the news. The whole story has strong echoes of the Schiavo fiasco. One person facing a hard decision in a morally-charged situation gets their personal case turned into a nationwide circus with their rabid supporters and detractors. And then eventually a judge has to step in and issue a ruling which makes him the incarnation of Satan to about half the population.

Meanwhile, the thousands of OTHER people around the nation – and their families and their friends – who are in the exact same situation have to deal WITHOUT a flash-fanbase or a judge’s ruling. In other words, life marches on.

I readily admit there are no easy answers to this. Human lungs cannot be made in a factory by ChiCom slave labor, and the ability to grow “spare parts” is for all practical considerations a sci-fi pipe dream. Any way it went, someone was going to not get an organ and probably croak. But that’s why the medical minds (not TV preachers or judges or political hacks) developed the guidelines we have…so that there would be at least something to fall back on when these hard decisions had to be made.

A nation that insists on turning hard choices into three-ring circuses with its legal system is refusing to acknowledge the reality of limited resources and unlimited demands.

MelonCollie on June 6, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Folks jump the line in the list all the time. It is who you know and who you are. Mickey Mantle got a transplant and did not fit the criteria. Walter Payton refused to jump the line. Glad these parents realized it was time to get a lawyer.

southernms on June 6, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Resist We Much on June 5, 2013 at 10:49 PM

The fact that there is a “Division of Transplantation (DoT)” within the Department of Health and Human Services should indicate that it is already out of the hands of the people and in the hands of government. The different lists are handled separately (which is why you register to be on multiple organ lists). There is no reason for ANY governmental involvement. And this story… from the unneeded governmental regulations, to HHS and Sebelius, to the judge… all illustrate the level of governmental interference. It should be left to the organizations that maintain the organ lists to decide their rules for providing organs, and an individual’s doctor for determining someone should be added to a particular list. Government bureaucrats are not needed, and I can’t find a single reference to this type of authority granted anywhere in the US Constitution. But then again, I can’t find anything to authorize HHS either…

dominigan on June 6, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Rahm Emanuel’s brother Ezekiel is currently offering a course on just this topic, available online through coursera: Rationing and Allocating Scarce Medical Resources. Conveniently, the lectures are available through the “preview” feature, without needing to sign up, if anyone is interested in seeing what this guy is teaching at Penn.

VerbumSap on June 6, 2013 at 12:03 PM