Gallup: America’s got a fee-vah and the only prescription is more Chris Christie

posted at 6:43 pm on June 5, 2013 by Allahpundit

He doesn’t need a campaign platform for the primaries in 2016. All he needs, really, is this with a single word in 120-point font underneath: “ELECTABILITY.”

gal

NBC/WSJ took his temperature in their new poll too and found similar parity across segments, although the numbers weren’t as robust:

He’s also energized certain segments of the Republican Party with his tough fiscal approach to governing New Jersey, and has proven popular among Garden State residents for his style of crisis management.

It’s a combination that’s led to 40 percent of Republicans, 41 percent of independents and 43 percent of Democrats seeing him in a positive light…

Among all respondents, Christie’s favorable/unfavorable rating lands at 41 percent favorable vs. 12 percent unfavorable. That’s compared to Obama’s 47 percent favorable/40 percent unfavorable rating and Clinton’s 49 percent favorable/31 percent unfavorable score.

You read that correctly: His favorables are actually highest among Democrats per NBC/WSJ. Two points here. One, needless to say, this won’t last, just as Hillary’s popularity isn’t lasting. Hillary got high bipartisan marks because, as chief diplomat for four years, she was removed from the daily Dem/GOP food fight; Christie’s achieved something similar from his management of Sandy relief, and the gubernatorial race in Jersey isn’t important enough to rank-and-file Democrats to spoil that mood. (Although…) The presidency is, so when Christie starts making real noise about that, his numbers will shift accordingly. Also, if he plans on running as a Republican in 2016, he’ll have work to do after he’s reelected in NJ to pander to national conservatives — not because he expects to win them in the primary but because he needs them to turn out in the general if he’s nominated. You don’t need righties to take the nomination, as we know all too well, but having a chunk of them staying home out of spite against Hillary could turn a close win into a loss. Once the pandering starts, his numbers with Democrats will deflate.

Two, I wonder if there’s actually anything, or any accumulation of things, that Christie could do to keep conservatives home in 2016 if he’s the nominee. We’ve nominated two guys in a row on electability grounds and, paradoxically, the fact that they lost will only make electability weigh more heavily in some Republicans’ minds next time. I.e. “Can we really afford 12 years of Democratic executive control? We need to take back the White House now, no matter what compromises on policy that might mean!” Plenty of white middle-class would-be Republican voters stayed home last year, but I suspect that had little to do with Romney being too squishy and a lot to do with him being insufficiently populist, especially at a time of economic hardship. Christie, a savvier politician (Sean Trende calls yesterday’s special-election gambit “genius”), probably won’t make that mistake. He’ll be a RINO, but he’ll be a populist RINO — and conservatives, faced with the prospect of President Hillary, will swallow hard and trudge to the polls. The only issue that I think could end up as a legitimate dealbreaker is Christie’s position on guns, an issue about which some righties are so passionate that it would pain them almost viscerally to vote for someone who’s crosswise with them on it. To be sure, most of them would vote for Christie anyway — President Hillary would be worse on guns too, right? — but some of them would feel almost morally obliged to stay home. Maybe that sinks him.

The alternative to all this, of course, is if he skips the GOP primaries altogether and runs as an independent. I wouldn’t say that’s likely but I do think it’s increasingly plausible, partly because it would allow Christie to retain more of his current bipartisan appeal. The key, I think, is whether Hillary runs too or whether some no-name Democrat is nominated. If she runs, Democrats will unify behind her and he’d be looking at one of the losing ends in a 40/30/30 Clinton victory. If she doesn’t run, maybe he ends up with that magic 40 percent figure in a three-way race and then the House of Representatives would have a very hard decision to make. Hmmm.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Apparently you were correct, don’t hurt yourself while patting yourself on the back.

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2013 at 7:32 PM

No worries. I’m double-jointed.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 5, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Warning: There are all lot of conservative voters within the Republican Party and outside the Republican Party (who left the Party out of disgust) who are not a “Party-First” crowd but are “Ideology-First”. Don’t underestimate them that they will not seat it out even if its Hillary as the nominee in 2016. Principles matter a whole lot than a party that is lurching leftward since the days that Reagan left office

journeymike on June 5, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Yep I am now registered Independent after 2012..

melle1228 on June 5, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Ike, Nixon, Reagan, HW Bush and Bush were all RINO’s by the standard of today’s braindead talk radio mope.

They “win” all the time, actually.

AYNBLAND on June 5, 2013 at 7:18 PM

To paraphrase Ronald Reagan:

It Isn’t So Much That Republicans Like Bob Dole Are Ignorant. It’s Just That They Know So Many Things That Aren’t So.

I truly suggest that you read Reagan’s ‘Bold Colours, No Pastels’ speech before claiming that he would be a RINO today.

Resist We Much on June 5, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I’m sick of that very WORD “electability.” Promoting somebody as “electable” is NOT a good way to get me to vote for him.

Trying to shame me into settling YET AGAIN for another make-believe conservative, on the grounds that Democrats tend to be more openly destructive, is actually an even WORSE way to get me to vote for him, because I’m even sicker of that ploy than I am of the word “electability.”

Aitch748 on June 5, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Are Democrats who like Christie aware that Ann Coulter is his biggest cheerleader? That out to be good for a ten point reduction in the positives.

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Typical Dem strategy: build him up for as long as it’s expedient and then demolish him when it helps them — like they did with McCain. If Christie ever did pose any kind of national political threat to the libs it would almost be funny to witness his reaction because right now he genuinely thinks they like him.

cynccook on June 5, 2013 at 7:35 PM

You’d probably have a pretty high opinion of that Democrat too, and you’d all vote against in him favor of the Republican if his name was ever on your ballot.

crrr6 on June 5, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Yep and yep.

BadgerHawk on June 5, 2013 at 7:35 PM

journeymike on June 5, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Agreed, I know I don’t give a flying flip about the Republican Party. And a lot of that has to do with them being Democrat Lite, so I don’t think another Northeastern Moderate or someone willing to be part of any Gang of (fill in the blank), should not be the next nominee.

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I don’t know if it was close enough for any real shenanigans but I think it is safe to say that he doesn’t like a level playing field and won’t hesitate to use the power of government agencies to make sure they keep their advantage. Did you see the story at GatewayPundit that the Capital Police are dragging their feet on giving the Tea Party a permit to meet on June 19th? Must be worried the place will be too clean on the 20th.

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2013 at 7:29 PM

There was lots of yammering about ground game, voters not getting to the polls, vote rigging, etc. Mind you, Romney made a boatload of mistakes, too, but neutering the TEA party out of the gate probably helped a bit. Hopefully, they can get going again, but that’s up to us too, right?

Didn’t hear that about June 19. Will have to check that out.

kim roy on June 5, 2013 at 7:35 PM

cynccook on June 5, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Exactly! C’mon if Christie was really electable, do we honestly think the press would being as kind as they are to him?

melle1228 on June 5, 2013 at 7:36 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 5, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Love it!!!

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2013 at 7:36 PM

America has no fever for Christie.

If they do, it’s denegue.

jersey taxpayer on June 5, 2013 at 7:36 PM

So, many of you voted for Romney, the grandfather of Obamacare, but that was tolerable. Many of you also voted for McCain, a huge flip-flopper who would intervene in just about any conflict imaginable. Yet, you won’t even consider voting for Christie against a Democrat like Hillary? That sure doesn’t sound wise.

Most, if not all of you, are all talk. It’s one thing to dislike him. It’s another to let someone worse have control. That’s what we have now, and it’s going pretty terrible.

I honestly think things would be better if Christie were President instead of Obama. But maybe you will just keep screaming angry nonsense about how much you hate him.

Well, I for one hate pretty much everyone I ever vote for. How are you longtime voters not used to it? It’s been that way for nearly forever with a few exceptions for a few of you.

dgarone on June 5, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Well, she liked Romney too. Democrats will like Christie just fine now, because he’s the kind of candidate they’d pick for the GOP to nominate. That doesn’t mean they’ll vote for him.

If you’re a real Democrat, why vote for a RINO when you can vote for a real Democrat.

Curtiss on June 5, 2013 at 7:39 PM

kim roy on June 5, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I am hoping that the vilification and interference of the Tea Party turns out to be a very very bad calculation.

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Rubio was always an idiot and a douchebag. Only people who knew very little about him liked him. I was warning people about Rubio from way back during his race against Mr. Orange.

The only advantage that Rubio ever had or offered was that he had run against the Orange peel. Other than that, it was always clear that he was a lying sack of sh!t with a pea-brain.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 5, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Rubio is not and will never be the Rino that Christie has become. Rubio is a naive fool, but Christie knows what he is doing and he don’t care….He trying to eat us….

Christie is far more dangerous.

William Eaton on June 5, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2013 at 7:39 PM

kim roy on June 5, 2013 at 7:40 PM

dgarone on June 5, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Why do you think that? If Christie were President, I can guarantee you that gun control would have passed, and we would now be living with the result. When the head of the party supports it, then the Republicans in Congress would have too.

Look at what has happened with the GOP’s help under OBama. Obama can’t fund Obamacare. He couldn’t raise taxes, but Boehner and his ilk did. At least with a Dem President, Repubs might fight the agenda of the President on principle and political bias. If the President is pushing liberal policies and he is Repub then we are all screwed.

melle1228 on June 5, 2013 at 7:41 PM

dgarone on June 5, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Do you think that Christie would agree that Obama is doing a terrible job?

BoxHead1 on June 5, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Lol@ teahicks claiming they won’t vote for Christie in 2016. I will bet u a HA ban that you all will be fiercely defending him if he wins the nomination.

Some here will even crawl over broken glass to vote for him.

HotAirLib on June 5, 2013 at 6:52 PM

ALL of us will be fiercely defending Christie if he’s nominated? You’d lose that bet. I, for one, wasn’t “fiercely defending” Romney; in fact, I stayed away from political sites like this one until after the election. Only the committed Romneybots were “fiercely defending” Romney and telling the rest of us that we were part of the problem if we WEREN’T “fiercely defending” Romney instead of just refraining from badmouthing the useless John-Kerry-wannabe. Hell, I’ve all but given up on the GOP. I’d “fiercely defend” somebody like Ted Cruz, but not Krispy Christie.

Aitch748 on June 5, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2013 at 7:39 PM

But it doesn’t matter because they neutralized the Tea Party for the 2012 election and that was the whole point. Google “tea party no longer relevant” and you’ll get over 3 million results.

cynccook on June 5, 2013 at 7:43 PM

dgarone on June 5, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Well if we start b!tching now, maybe we won’t have to make this particular choice. I can’t even begin to imagine who might be in the primaries that will produce Chris Christie as our best option.

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2013 at 7:44 PM

He['s] trying to eat us….

LOL.

Christie is far more dangerous.

William Eaton on June 5, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Rubio and Christie are equally destructive. But, it doesn’t matter all that much as America has already been killed by the Barky terms and the GOP cowards on the Hill letting him take things apart – with Benedict Roberts putting a nice, shiny bow on the newly-borne American Socialist Superstate.

All that’s left now is to wait for the inevitable national divorce. I’m pretty much done with voting. There’s no upside to it, anywhere. If the national divorce doesn’t materialize I’ll probably just leave. If I am going to have to live in a non-American nation – which is what we now have, here – I’ll pick the nation, myself. After all, outside of what this nation was and no longer is, the rest of the world is pretty much the same.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 5, 2013 at 7:45 PM

cynccook on June 5, 2013 at 7:43 PM

It sure did. Don’t you think that they were hoping to get away with it for one more cycle and have control of all of Congress? Can you just imagine what jackassery The Won would do if he controlled it all again?

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2013 at 7:46 PM

melle1228 on June 5, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Completely right. Personally, I hope he jumps ship and becomes a full-fledged Democrat. I mean, at best he’s a Blue Dog.

cynccook on June 5, 2013 at 7:46 PM

dgarone on June 5, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I think things would be better if one of my dogs was president instead of Obama, doesn’t mean I want to vote for either of them.

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Oh, Lord, don’t remind me….

cynccook on June 5, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Hmmmm….they might just be the Dream Team we’ve been waiting for. RUCKUS & RIOT 2016

cynccook on June 5, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Gov. porca, from the great state of liberal NJ, first decision for running for president is to appoint Barack Obama his VP. Afterall, tubby wants to be inclusive.

By the way, I am sick and tired of the liberal media picking our nominee. First it was George H w, the dole, then rino GW, then amesty McCain, then blue blood romneycare, now blimpo.

Can we please pump up a conservative for a change.

Danielvito on June 5, 2013 at 7:52 PM

cynccook on June 5, 2013 at 7:50 PM

How’s your puppy?

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2013 at 7:53 PM

How’s your puppy?

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Adorable. Incontinent. So, you know.

cynccook on June 5, 2013 at 7:55 PM

I voted for McCain and Romney because I thought the left could be stopped. I also thought there was still some hope for the GOP. Watching Boehner and Rubio and the whole bunch has cleared my illusion that there is still some conservative leadership in the GOP. Three times the charm for me. I won’t be voting for the GOP nominess if it is a Christie, but then you also won’t find me voting for Hilary.

melle1228 on June 5, 2013 at 7:20 PM

So you’ll forego your constitutional duty to vote? What kind of Marxist are you sir!!!????

My vote for Obama was based on the fact that I KNOW it’s not just the Republican party that can’t be saved – it’s the entire nation. It’s hopeless – $17 Trillion in debt and the walls are about to come down. When they do – I don’t want anyone sitting in government who’s remotely conservative enough to be blamed for it.

We’re in for another 1776 mates … and this time it will be the Liberty minded folks vs the Marxists and the nation will likely be split up.

You guys read the news everyday and get worked up over polls and elections and scandals.

My friends – that’s all a bunch of jerk1ng off – that’s all it is – noise. It’s the noise of an empire breaking up. One day you’ll realize it – you’ve already made another step in declaring you won’t support Christie if he’s the nominee. You’re only a few feet behind me mate – in reality. ;)

HondaV65 on June 5, 2013 at 7:56 PM

I didn’t really mind when Christie sucked up to Obama after Sandy, his state wasn’t in good enough shape to carry that load on its own and he also needed it to be designated as a Disaster Area for the special funding. That said, he should have excused himself as the Keynote Speaker at the Convention. Talk about a Disaster Area.

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Just bring on the national breakup already. We all know it’s coming, and we all know that voting GOP isn’t going to make the breakup unnecessary.

Aitch748 on June 5, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2013 at 7:39 PM

It worked like a charm. Obama back in office and conservative sites carrying on about how the tea party sat it out. Allen West…out. And now Obama will not have to run again, he has 4 years to damage the nation in relative peace. It was shrewd and it was successful, and hardly the work of rogue low level employees

clnurnberg on June 5, 2013 at 7:58 PM

HondaV65 on June 5, 2013 at 7:56 PM

I really can’t imagine having anything to say to someone who owns up to voting for Obama as some kind of self-styled suicide bomber of the United States…

cynccook on June 5, 2013 at 7:58 PM

cynccook on June 5, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Ugg, we just had a weekend of bad stomach. Good thing I’m getting rid of the carpet anyway.

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Agreed..:)

PS..I would also wager there are more folks at HA who are worried about Christie running than Christie is himself..:)

PSS..Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on June 5, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2013 at 7:59 PM

LOL Oh, my. And here I was thinking that it was bad to have to be calling the carpet cleaner out again!

cynccook on June 5, 2013 at 8:02 PM

PSS..Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on June 5, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Bon soir, mon frere.

cynccook on June 5, 2013 at 8:03 PM

clnurnberg on June 5, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Yes, it did work like a charm, I am hoping that the Tea Party will swing back into action. Wouldn’t it be awesome if he lost the Senate? I think Obama did a masterful job at blaming all that was wrong with this country on the Tea Party. They know how to make good people shut up.

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Dire Straits on June 5, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Good to see you!! I think he needs another term in New Jersey. He might do such miraculous things there that I will be converted.

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2013 at 8:06 PM

cynccook on June 5, 2013 at 8:02 PM

It was already bad, now it’s awful. We are just in the investigation stage, you know where you have to breathe into a bag over the cost.

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Bon soir, mon frere.

cynccook on June 5, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Bueno my friend..Hope all is well for you..:):)

Dire Straits on June 5, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2013 at 8:06 PM

That is all Christie is worried about..Another term..Definitely not 2016..:)

Dire Straits on June 5, 2013 at 8:13 PM

i hope the Rs can actually have a few real debates between candidates.

we need someone to face down the banksters, and the climatista, and the fraudsters and face down the combine…the chicago style joining up of the business and the left…the machine

seriously, how do you take apart a massive coordinated political machine that is generous with its graft and walking money, and generous with its threats and intimidation.

that is really the question. oh, and i forgot bernanke…he’s propping up the whole thing, making it stronger with the zero interest rates.

i would argue that most Rs are ok with this. The Rs in chicago are part of the machine

r keller on June 5, 2013 at 8:13 PM

They “win” all the time, actually.

AYNBLAND on June 5, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Talk radio supports Ike, Nixon, Reagan, H.W. Bush, and Dubya Bush. They also supported McCain and Romney, too. Oh, and they’ll support Christie — along with Annie Coulter — when he becomes the nominee in 2016. If you were clever you would have, you know, figured this all out.

Punchenko on June 5, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Anyone that cries after having a fanboi phone call with Bruce Springsteen is not of Presidential caliber.

can_con on June 5, 2013 at 8:21 PM

I should also add that Hannity works overtime pimping Marco Rubio since he is Bush Family & Associates lapdog Manchurian candidate.

Punchenko on June 5, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2013 at 8:06 PM

We’ll see. I prefer Christie way more over someone like Rubio.

Punchenko on June 5, 2013 at 8:26 PM

AYNBLAND on June 5, 2013 at 7:18 PM

To see Pres. Reagan in action as governor of California, POTUS and to hear and read his speeches even before he ran for office, he would not be a RINO today or any day. No one on the scene today has his intestinal fortitude.

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Punchenko on June 5, 2013 at 8:26 PM

So far, and it is so early in the game, I like Cruz and even Paul. We’ll see, I am sure we have some very worth governors who don’t get the attention that they should.

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2013 at 8:31 PM

“[L]isten to me or you can take the mic, but I’m leaving. You all decide. You have one choice.”

If this happens you can put Mochelle’s diva quote in my mouth.
I went to see him speak in 2012, he already thinks and acts like he’s some rock star, he was an hour late only spoke for a few disinterested minutes and couldn’t wait to get the heck outta there, and his two body guards whisked him out the back door….
SOUND FAMILIAR.

MontanaMmmm on June 5, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I don’t agree that talk radio supported Romney. Mark Levin savaged Romney (and also Christie, calling him “Crispy Crème Christie”). I like Levin, and I learn a lot from him about the Constitution, but Mark Levin believes that Christine O’Donnell can beat Obama. He spent months attacking Romney, hoping it would damage him enough for Levin’s candidate which was Santorum (lost PA by how much, 19pts??). Levin just doesn’t get it that in a blue state like CT where I live, a fire breathing conservative like Ted Cruz absolutely cannot get elected. We had Chris Shays, who voted 75% with the republicans. Now we have Jim Himes, who voted 94% with Pelosi. Are we better off now? This is what Levin doesn’t understand.

Gardis - CT on June 5, 2013 at 9:08 PM

That is because he is a Democrat. Just give him time and he will switch to “Independent” and then to “Democrat” just like that other North-Eastern governor did.

Sigh.

Theophile on June 5, 2013 at 9:09 PM

CHRISTIE is Obama with a weight problem, less charm, and one extra white parent.

……..and he’s just as committed to grow Federal power as Obama is, just a few changes on who gets the goodies.

PappyD61 on June 5, 2013 at 9:13 PM

They “win” all the time, actually.

AYNBLAND on June 5, 2013 at 7:18 PM

You are the most boring establishment commenter on this blog. I hope you go down with the GOP.

tom daschle concerned on June 5, 2013 at 9:15 PM

PappyD61 on June 5, 2013 at 9:13 PM

But at least he can throw a baseball or a football.

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2013 at 9:17 PM

America……….sinking ship.

PappyD61 on June 5, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Yes, Christie can also win toys at Carnivals for his BroLove.

:-)

PappyD61 on June 5, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Also – I don’t know if any of you read Zev Chafets book on Roger Ailes. Both Ailes and Rush Limbaugh met Christie personally at Ailes home in Westchester. According to Chafets, they BOTH liked Christie, “but he decided not to run.” How do you interpret this?

Gardis-CT

Gardis - CT on June 5, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Gardis – CT on June 5, 2013 at 9:23 PM

I don’t think liking someone has anything to do with whether they would be a good candidate.

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Cindy,
people of the caliber of Rush Limbaugh and Roger Ailes wouldn’t waste their time meeting someone they just “liked.” They were kicking the tires, that’s what they were doing. And the impression in the book, was that they both liked Christie meaning they could support him.

Gardis - CT on June 5, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Gardis – CT on June 5, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Both of these men have friends on both sides of the aisle and aren’t particularly known as king makers, especially Ailes. He has enough problems being fair and balanced without promoting specific candidates.

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2013 at 9:51 PM

For some reason the name Lowell Weicker popped into my head. The great Republican hope who wasn’t.

steveracer on June 5, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Christie is delusional if he thinks he has a chance in 2016 nationally. He will never get enough dems to break ranks and vote for him over the dem. The base will absolutely not turn out for him. Im in NJ and many conservatives I know will never vote for this guy again. No base….no win (at least nationally)

lostinjrz on June 5, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2013 at 7:31 PM

That would rest on the assumption that Ann Coulter is relevant. She is anything but. Sorry, Hannity.

Myron Falwell on June 5, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Myron Falwell on June 5, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Hmmmmm, they (Democrats) do seem less upset with her, she must be saying something they like.

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Well, yeah. She’s delusional enough to think he’s this great GOPe Hope. If I were a Dem, I’d just sit back and laugh at her. (Bill Maher does this all the time and she’s clearly okay with that.)

Myron Falwell on June 5, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Will not vote for Christie under any circumstance. Period.

besser tot als rot on June 5, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Cruz, Paul, or Walker. Maybe even Jindal or Perry.

besser tot als rot on June 5, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Myron Falwell on June 5, 2013 at 10:43 PM

That’s what I do. Haven’t listened to anything she’s said or read anything she’s written since “Three Cheers for Romneycare.” She’s not worthy of a second of anyone’s time – except as you say – a source of mirth.

besser tot als rot on June 5, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Some here will even crawl over broken glass to vote for him.

HotAirLib on June 5, 2013 at 6:52 PM

What is it with you and the “crawl over/under broken glass” thing lately?

Sockpuppet Politic on June 6, 2013 at 1:33 AM

[Christie will] be a RINO, but he’ll be a populist RINO — and conservatives, faced with the prospect of President Hillary, will swallow hard and trudge to the polls.

Sure, I’ll trudge to the polls…and vote Libertarian.

If Christie is who the majority of GOP voters believe is appropriate to offer up as the nominee, then it’s time for me to part ways with the Republican Party.

DRayRaven on June 6, 2013 at 5:54 AM

If you still believe in democracy, your only shot is Christie. Otherwise, you might as well just start a militia.

ninjapirate on June 5, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Militia it is, then.

texasmagnolia on June 6, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Sure, I’ll trudge to the polls…and vote Libertarian.

DRayRaven on June 6, 2013 at 5:54 AM

This. I think there are many like me and this person who feel the same way.
We held our nose trying to put up or shut up with guys like McCain and Mittens that you all wanted.
If that is the best the party can do, I am sorry, I am not going to be part of a party that pretty much equals democrat lights.
YOu see what these kind of people want, which is pretty much a slower march to where we are getting to now.

watertown on June 6, 2013 at 8:13 AM

ninjapirate on June 5, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Militia it is, then.

texasmagnolia on June 6, 2013 at 7:33 AM

95% of HotGas non-trolls would likely prefer a militia to Kristie Kreme.

Myron Falwell on June 6, 2013 at 8:14 AM

If Christie is the nominee in 2016 I won’t vote for any Republican. I voted for Dole, Bush, McCain and Romney, but my days of Republican moderation are drawing to a close.

claudius on June 6, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Militia.

claudius on June 6, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Heh. If he needs even 50% of the Republicans voting for him to win nationally, he’s a roasted pig. He won’t get half…I’ll vote for a Libertarian first.

Jaibones on June 6, 2013 at 2:04 PM