Eric Holder: “Things have gotten a little out of whack”

posted at 8:01 pm on June 5, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

And the award for Understatement of the Year, goes to

Via NBC:

“I’m a little concerned that things have gotten a little out of whack … I think we can do a better job than we have. We can reform those regulations, reform those guidelines to better reflect that balance,” he said.

“A little concerned”? I’m a little concerned when the office printer is “out of whack.” If the executive department responsible for administering nationwide justice of which I was in charge was found to be abusing the law to specifically thwart journalists, I would be appalled.

And no, just in case you were wondering — he does not have any intention of resigning any time soon.

When it comes to his future tenure Holder said, “There’s some things that I want to do, some things I want to get done” before relinquishing the post he has held since February of 2009. “I’ve discussed that with the president. And once I have finished that, I’ll sit down with him and we’ll determine when it’s time to make a transition to a new attorney general.”

Asked, directly, if he would step down, he responded, “No, I have no intention of doing so now.”

As for using the term “co-conspirator” in describing Rosen’s role in a leak investigation, Holder explained that the phrasing was necessary in order to get a search warrant.

“I don’t like that, because it means that me as a government official, and who has great respect for the press, is in essence saying that the reporter who is doing his or her job, and doing that very important job, is somehow branded a criminal,” he said. “And I’m just not comfortable with that. And we’re going to change it.”

Heck, why should he? Being held in contempt of Congress didn’t do anything to slow him down, and Holder’s been such an effective heat shield for the president in the past that I’m sure he’s just fine with his political wingman sticking around for awhile yet.

And I suppose even feigning outrage over his department’s multiple flagrant abuses would be too much of an admission that they were doing something really wrong. Why acknowledge the degree of the wrongdoing of it all too vociferously, when — for all of the promises of “respect for the press” and “improving regulations,” blah blah blah — their basic M.O. isn’t really going to change:

In a meeting with top lawyers from the intelligence community, Attorney General Eric Holder said that despite the firestorm over the seizure of phone records and emails from reporters he does not want the Obama administration’s effort to punish media leakers to end.

A senior intelligence official who was in the room told Fox News that Holder’s message to the intelligence community was a simple one. “He assured us that he wanted to continue aggressively prosecuting leaks,” said the official who spoke to Fox News on the condition of anonymity. …

Holder told the assembled attorneys he would rather see a “narrower, more tailored approach,” said the intelligence official. “I left with the impression that the AG thought the AP phone record seizure was a bit too broad.”

Holder’s call to remain “aggressive” underscores the administration’s unprecedented focus on prosecuting media leaks.

Comments

Holder: “And by ‘out of whack’ I mean some people have had the audacity to question my actions and motives lately. We’re going to need a boatload of IRS audits, STAT to give these jokers something else to do with their time.”

cynccook on June 5, 2013 at 8:05 PM

“Give this administration another chance at tromping on citizen’s rights and not get caught..” – Holder

Electrongod on June 5, 2013 at 8:07 PM

I really despise this guy.

KCB on June 5, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Can’t we all just….get along?

How about letting me push the reset button?

BobMbx on June 5, 2013 at 8:09 PM

TRANSLATION: “You won’t catch me again!”

GarandFan on June 5, 2013 at 8:09 PM

The rest of sleazy Eric’s quote:

“…in a Papa Doc, Baby Doc Duvalier of Haiti sorta way.”

viking01 on June 5, 2013 at 8:11 PM

“Aggressive investigation of leaks”

I thought it was 2013, not 1984.

Stoic Patriot on June 5, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Don’tcha hate it when you WANT TO SCREAM ‘we told you so !!!’, but really can’t ??
If I did that, folks I know would simply get their cankles up and never listen to anything after that.
Arrrgghh.
YOU get ‘em, Lord…. I’ve tried.

pambi on June 5, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Over to you LSM. Whatcha gonna do?

txhsmom on June 5, 2013 at 8:14 PM

things have gotten a little out of whack

Starting with Obama’s Guns for Gangsters op.

Galt2009 on June 5, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Disgusting piece of trash the whole lot of them.

gophergirl on June 5, 2013 at 8:18 PM

To paraphrase Rand Paul:

‘I’d rather be a whacko-bird than a whack-job.’

Resist We Much on June 5, 2013 at 8:19 PM

‘A little out of whack’ is the new ‘lying under oath.’

Resist We Much on June 5, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Ahh yes, phrasing necessary card…but was it truthful? Gotcha punk.

hillsoftx on June 5, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Pure arrogance.

rbj on June 5, 2013 at 8:21 PM

How do you those orange apples fit Mr. General?

Sorry, gg and rwm above me, I was thinking of it without the ‘h’
wacko-bird.

Either way. Ted Cruz doesn’t really amaze me.
Well, under fire he surely does. He doesn’t have to lie, so it is easy.
We need more of Ted Cruz.

mickytx on June 5, 2013 at 8:26 PM

To paraphrase Rand Paul:

‘I’d rather be a whacko-bird than a whack-job.’

Resist We Much on June 5, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Love that!

gophergirl on June 5, 2013 at 8:26 PM

A little out of whack is disenfranchising the votes of a whole group of taxpaying, peacefully petitioning American citizens while allowing the Occupy Wall Street excrement and the New Black Punks to do same with no penalties, it is not allowing military ballots to get to serving patriots in time, just as help did not arrive in Benghazi in time. Out of whack is Holder not being fitted for cuffs and an orange jump suit and shipped off to that new prison in Illinois for ten years or better, or better yet to GITMO, for life!

ConcealedKerry on June 5, 2013 at 8:28 PM

“I’m a little concerned that things have gotten a little out of whack …

As the Captain of the Bismarck said, while he was stuck in a turn with a damaged rudder, and he saw HMS Rodney and HMS King George V bearing down on him…..

clear ether

eon

eon on June 5, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I am beginning to despair again.

The media has circled the wagons and nothing is going to change.

petunia on June 5, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Remember folks, this comes from decorum as ‘our esteemed colleague..’

I am, or I’m with wacko-bird and I are one, or something.

The various t-shirts should sell like hot cakes.
Senator Ted Cruz is just amazing. To me anyway.
Hell, yes.

mickytx on June 5, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Eric Holder: “Things have gotten a little out of whack”

Yeah Eric they have.

Fast and Furious didn’t disappear from concern when your lazy rat-eared coward of a boss covered your crimes with executive privilege.

The AP seizure of phone records, which was a fishing expedition, was disclosed. Same with your harassment of James Rosen.

Your rat-eared boss is relying on you to not agree to a special prosecutor in the IRS targeting of conservative organizations while the Barak H. Obama Foundation got through in less than 30 days deliberation.

On deck is the HHS gouhl’s shaking down healthcare executives for “contributions” for Obamacare.

And Richard Windsor and all the other ways the administration is seeking to avoid FOIA is waiting in the wings.

WHAT YOU CALL OUT OF WHACK, I CALL THE HOUSE OF CARDS BEGINNING TO FALL. KARMA IS NOT GOING TO BE KIND TO YOU.

Happy Nomad on June 5, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Meh, I don’t really want him to resign. Perjury is punishable by imprisonment. If Scooter Libby can get a prison sentence for perjury in an investigation of something perfectly legal done inadvertently by someone else, then there should be no problem doing the same to Holder.

If Obama wants to stand behind his “heat shield”, then let him. But if he wants to keep him out of jail, he should be forced to own it by issuing a pardon.

RINO in Name Only on June 5, 2013 at 8:34 PM

your lack of optimism is duly noted.

petunia on June 5, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Not shared.
Stand up, damn it…
We are in league.

mickytx on June 5, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Who really cares what a murdering fascist traitor says?

His actions speak so loudly that I cannot hear anything he says …

ShainS on June 5, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Being held in contempt of Congress didn’t do anything to slow him down,

Holder framed the contempt citation and proudly displays it on his office wall. Barky did the same with his contempt citation.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 5, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Item one on that list is securing a blanket pardon for himself. He does have a history in that department, after all.

Steve Eggleston on June 5, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Hey Holder give that defense to the faces of the families of the dead MExicans & Americans who were affected by your doings.
While you’re at it, let’s look at what out of whack ought to really mean.
I think $hit’s out of whack when you refuse to enforce LAW.

Badger40 on June 5, 2013 at 8:40 PM

RINO in Name Only on June 5, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Don’t worry; that’s coming, along with the first self-pardon in Presidential history. In fact, that could come as soon as 11/5/2014 when it is certain there won’t be 67, or 60, or probably even 51 Pubbies in the Senate.

Steve Eggleston on June 5, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I could easily be bordering on SWalker terms, but I ‘Resist We Much’. ;) Heh.

I think I’ll never buy another Apple product. Fini.

Orange and steel would be apt on the former EPA head. Just sayin’.

mickytx on June 5, 2013 at 8:44 PM

OT, but dang it, why is the Hot Air logo covering up the “post comment” box in the headlines???????? I can’t post a comment because there is no “preview” or “post” because it is covered by the big, fat HOT AIR sign!!!!!!!!!!!! I managed to sneak a comment in twice, but not now. Grrr….

lovingmyUSA on June 5, 2013 at 8:49 PM

does he mean change it so they don’t have to suspect someone of being a criminal or have to present probable cause of a crime to get access to email and phone records??

chasdal on June 5, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I am so damn sick of these people blaming the lack of regulations or policies, for their apparent lack of decency and honesty.

BULL F’ing SHITE. Their disregard for the rights of the American citizen is appalling.

Hill60 on June 5, 2013 at 8:58 PM

lovingmyUSA on June 5, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Which browser are you using? In IE9 and the current version of Firefox, when things get too busy in the Headlines, that Hot Air logo only covers part of the “submit comment” button. It does cover up the clickable part of “You must log in and have Javascript enabled” on Firefox though (let me see if it does the same in IE9; one moment).

Steve Eggleston on June 5, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Yep – same logged-out problem for IE9 in the Headlines.

Steve Eggleston on June 5, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Being held in contempt of Congress didn’t do anything to slow him down

We have such cowards in the Republican party.

If Holder stays in contempt, zero out the budget for his position. Use the DAMN power of the purse Republicans. Impeach him. DO SOMETHING other then standing around.

But then again, the Republican establishment will likely do nothing of note with Obama Administration’s endless crimes and scandals.

Holder got away with shipping guns to Mexico with the intent of getting Americans killed to reduce support for the 2nd Amendment…and got away with it.

18-1 on June 5, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I am so discouraged today. Why can’t Americans at least agree that the IRS shouldn’t be used as a political police force? How can the media just ignore it, or approve it.

People are not even decent anymore. Even the most basic level of good and decent is not found in our media.

They barely cared about how they were treated last lasted a day or two, and forget caring about the country especially if it is someone they disagree with.

They just don’t care if America is gone and we have a dictator, they don’t care as long as they get theirs.

petunia on June 5, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Eric knows where all the bodies are and he isn’t about to say ‘my bad’.
Thugs don’t ever come clean. He isn’t even that clever as to have an honest bone.
But, comeuppance happens eventually. Rewarded. Feathers and tar…
A waste of pitch and geese.

mickytx on June 5, 2013 at 9:05 PM

18-1 on June 5, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Spending bills merely originate in the House. The Senate gets their say on them, including amending them, and the President gets to either sign or veto them. Dingy Harry and Teh SCOAMT have made clear their willingness to hold the entirety of government hostage unless they get everything they want.

While you and I may like that, that like isn’t exactly shared in DC. After all, it’s what neutered Newt Gingrich, and he had the Senate on his side.

Steve Eggleston on June 5, 2013 at 9:06 PM

petunia on June 5, 2013 at 9:04 PM

You already answered your question – they have made the Second (Communist)/Third World (Banana) transition from “by any means necessary” to “by every means possible”.

Steve Eggleston on June 5, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Make the Democrats own shutting down the government to protect Holder.

Pass a budget without his salary and go home.

Act like you control the most powerful organ of the United State government and stand up for our system of government before we completely lose it.

18-1 on June 5, 2013 at 9:08 PM

so,
Steve Eggleston on June 5, 2013 at 9:06 PM
let’er burn

mickytx on June 5, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Eric “Frank Nitti” Holder: “Things have gotten a little out of whack, so we will have to start whacking people who are complaining about the out of wackness”.

VorDaj on June 5, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Just a cleaned up black radical. Ever see his pic from his college days when he was part of a group of black radicals that staged an armed takeover of the ROTC building at Columbia and demanded it be turned into a black culture center?
Good times..good times.

Mimzey on June 5, 2013 at 9:15 PM

petunia on June 5, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Did you take your medicine and get rational today? Yesterday you were all butthurt over the pushback on the NJ blimp. You are a decent gal but sometimes have cognitive dissonance–two and two, can’t connect the dots.

arnold ziffel on June 5, 2013 at 9:17 PM

WTF??!! ‘I don’t really think he is…but I needed to say he is…in order to get the warrant’.

Wow…just wow. That’s our Attorney General.

dont taze me bro on June 5, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Calling Rosen a “aider, abettor, and conspirator” on a search warrant affidavit is perjury.

Making that charge in the request for the warrant to the court is serious misrepresentation to the court.

slp on June 5, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Make the Democrats own shutting down the government to protect Holder.

Pass a budget without his salary and go home.

18-1 on June 5, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Good luck with that. Just like 1995, the Presstitute Organs will blame the Pubbies, and con the sheep into believing that.

At the federal level, it’s all about the appropriations. The separate budget does not extend down to salary levels.

Steve Eggleston on June 5, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Let them. Either you take on the State Media at some point or you go home. Make them go to the mat on an issue they cannot win on – like keeping Eric Holder in office.

The LIV are going to pay attention when the shutdown becomes about one man. One very corrupt man who has been caught violating his office and is directly responsible for the murder of hundreds of people.

And that’s up to Congress to decide. Boehner controls the budgeting process right now. If he wants to. But he doesn’t want to.

18-1 on June 5, 2013 at 9:39 PM

lovingmyUSA on June 5, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Right-click on the logo, and tell AdBlocker to block it.

slickwillie2001 on June 5, 2013 at 9:51 PM

I guess if anybody knows the limits of whack, it is Holder. If anything, he would know what is out of whack.

Old Country Boy on June 5, 2013 at 10:00 PM

arnold ziffel on June 5, 2013 at 9:17 PM

It’s complicated;)

I was buoyed by the testimony and the reaction I thought would have to happen, but there is silence from the media that should have cared… and then the Democrats feel safe enough about the media not telling the truth, that they have actually demonized the victims.

I over estimated the conscience of America. There really is no bottom to this cesspool of corruption.

petunia on June 5, 2013 at 10:27 PM

If Holder stays there is no way to even get close to any kind of justice. He is the Dam.

petunia on June 5, 2013 at 10:28 PM

“I’m a little concerned that things have gotten a little out of whack …

…so then…quit whacking so much…makes you go blind!

KOOLAID2 on June 5, 2013 at 10:45 PM

petunia on June 5, 2013 at 10:27 PM

I did too ma’am. We is in trouble.

arnold ziffel on June 5, 2013 at 10:46 PM

“Out of whack” is the new, liberal “a little concerned”. Why should Holder even consider resigning? So far, he has been caught lying, held in contempt of Congress and stonewalled every investigation into his and the Preznit’s nefarious programs. With no repercussions. None. In fact, the dismantling of America continues apace with the LIVs nodding approval.

ghostwalker1 on June 5, 2013 at 10:53 PM

“I don’t like that, because it means that me… is somehow branded a criminal,” he said.

Tzetzes on June 5, 2013 at 11:13 PM

“I don’t like that, because it means that me as a government official …”

Where the hell did this idiot learn English?

“It means that me”?? Barky’s mangling of the language is bad enough. This administration didn’t break 500 on the English section of the SATs … all together.

Maybe Holder was speaking in Austrian? That could be it.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 5, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Nothing needs to be “reformed.”

Rather why not try obeying the law, Mr. Holder?

Then again that ain’t your style.

The whole Obama WH is what needs reforming.

Romney, you b’tard, you could have spared us this had you fought Obama tooth and nail instead of rolling over like a dead dog!

Sherman1864 on June 6, 2013 at 12:43 AM

No, of course he won’t step down yet. Just a few more tweaks to fundamentally change the United States. Crash the health care system, debauch the currency, gain total control over the voting system and oh yeah, how ’bout a race war for good measure. I used to think this jerk and brother Barack were marxist twits with a plan but they are worse, just couple of Alinsky radicals in it for the power.

SpiderMike on June 6, 2013 at 2:22 AM

HOLDER=JAIL

TX-96 on June 6, 2013 at 6:08 AM

“Things have gotten a little out of whack”

Only because the whackjob made it so.

dominigan on June 6, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Our Attorney General is whacked out!!!

Can Congress do anything to whack him out permanently?

So an Attorney General can accuse an innocent reporter of conspiracy without proof or “probable cause” as an excuse to get a search warrant?

The House Judiciary Committee needs to subpoena Holder to testify before the committee under oath, and tell them who Holder suspected of leaking information to Rosen, who was the judge who signed the search warrant, and what were the charges against Rosen and the suspected leaker. The bring Rosen before the committee and let him tell HIS side of the story…

Scooter Libby went to jail for far less than what Holder did!!!

Steve Z on June 6, 2013 at 10:08 AM